[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever spent over $100 for a toy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 752x564) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 752x564
Have you ever spent over $100 for a toy?
>>
>>5374017
Too many times to count.
>>
>>5374017
With how the price of toys has risen over the past couple of years, 100 bucks has become small time. I remember a day where I felt wrong paying 50 bucks, let alone 100. These days it's all too common place though and as >>5374019
said, i've done it all too many times now.
>>
File: shf_skullcrystal020.jpg (122 KB, 850x550) Image search: [Google]
shf_skullcrystal020.jpg
122 KB, 850x550
>>5374024
>That time when paying 5000yen for a Figuarts exclusive was the "penalty" for not preordering an exclusive or somesuch like I should have

>These days 5000yen is pretty much the standard for any retail figure.

2015 saw a massive decline in my figure collecting for this reason, and it looks like 2016 is only going to continue that trend.
>>
>>5374017
20 times last year alone.
>>
>>5374027

Aren't japanese salaries supposed to have more acquisitive power and what not? Also you don't have to take it in the ass with shipping,taxes and whatnot like the rest of the world.

Or are you just stingy?
>>
File: images-1.jpg (3 KB, 196x133) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
3 KB, 196x133
>>5374017
Only for dildos, anon.
>>
>>5374034
Prices have gone up, but salaries are pretty much at the same level.

Also, back when Figuarts were like, 2000yen a pop, it was a nice collecting side hobby to have, I usually didn't spend more than 10,000 yen a month. Now it's like, one figure costs half that. It was never supposed to be something I had to be careful how much I spent over.

That and toy collecting in all honesty is losing it's magic. I downsized and got rid of a lot of stuff as I was basically hording stuff and wasn't really getting much out of all my purchases. Now I just buy stuff I'm really into. Feels better.
>>
>>5374017
The only single toys I've spent more than $100 on are Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Masterpiece Star Saber, Platinum Trypticon, and Generations Metroplex.

Every other toy has been more than one figure.
>>
Just the deluxe neca stuff that I know would bite me in the ass via scalpers, if I didnt buy it at retail (Alien Queens, Power Loader).

>>5374024
I remember paying 8 bucks a piece for marvel legends.
>>
>>5374039
I'm pretty much exactly at that tipping point. Japanese toys are starting to feel way too expensive and I just don't feel the same thrill I used to. It's about time to clean house a little I think...downsize the collection and really focus in on what I love.
>>
>>5374058
>I remember paying 8 bucks a piece for marvel legends.

I remember paying less than $2.50 w/tax for Star Wars and GIJOE RAH figures.

Yes I'm an old fart.
>>
>>5374098
How much are they now? I don't collect these.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Do Lego's count? $250 for pic related was the most I've ever spent on a toy, but I have a lot of $100+ sets.
>>
I probably will once I realize I can't get figuarts Phasma for less than $100.

>>5374039
Same here, I had a shit ton of Halo stuff before I realized About half of it I had for the sake of "Having one of every race" and stuff, so I went through it and only kept the ones I really loved.

I also used to foolishly buy /toyy/ flavor of the month sometimes, I don't do that any more.
>>
I've never paid over $100 for a single toy, but my two most expensive purchases have been exactly $100 though (used MMC Terminus Hexatron, new Sentinel Black Getter).
>>5374039
I know that feel. It used to be rare that I would spend 12k on a single order, but now it's happening more often. And it's only like 3 figures or so, too.

Thankfully, the ongoing stuff I collect are pretty much dead/inactive or slow.
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 600x742) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 600x742
>>5374017
Have you ever paid 300 bucks for a toy?
>>
>>5374098
100-150 bucks per pop
>>
>>5374136
Was it the halo joyride line because that line is still my shit :) Still trying to get one of every master chief dint care for elites and all that other craps.
>>
File: oorbellen.png (1 MB, 1140x760) Image search: [Google]
oorbellen.png
1 MB, 1140x760
No but I'm going to.
>>
Armor Girls Project Atago and Ashigaru Stormtrooper. They are my most expensive at $100 each. Worth it too.
>>
>>5374098
>I remember paying less than $2.50 w/tax for Star Wars and GIJOE RAH figures.
>Yes I'm an old fart.

I must be old too, because I feel like that wasn't even that long ago.

3 3/4 stuff was $2~$3, even in the mid-late '90s, and 6" figures were $5~$6 a pop.

I also feel like those figures lasted a lot longer because they used better plastic and stuff. GI Joe stuff from the 80s and 90s used that harder plastic, had tons of accessories, and pretty damn good articulation for little figures.

Now, 3 3/4 figures plastics are gummy as hell, with fewer and fewer accessories. Through out the late 2000s they were getting more and more articulation, better sculpted accessories, more detail, etc. Now, they're going back on a downward trend, yet the price keeps going up. Most domestic figures cost about 5x as much as they did 20-25 years ago.

Yes, I know inflation and stuff hits, but it still sucks. Especially since wages haven't really kept up, and we're not just talking about toys here. We're talking about practically everything costs more in this day and age.

As mentioned also, Japanese figures have gone up a lot too. As early as 3 or 4 years ago, Figma and Figuarts were maybe 2000Y. now standard figures are almost three times that, packed with fewer accessories.

Then toy companies try to slap a "Collector's" stamp on the box to justify the premium price, but it is pretty thinly veiled.

Doesn't help that if you don't happen to pick up the shit right away, in the narrow amount of time it is in a store or online, you're at the mercy of even higher prices on the aftermarket...
>>
I'm still at the level where I have trouble paying more than $60 for a toy.
>>
£140 for Statueshit
£100 for a 1/4th articulated figure.
£120 for 1/10th
£90 for 1/12th
£130 for a 1/6th

I've spent so much money on toys it's depressing. At least I'm not drinking or doing drugs anymore
>>
>>5374396

It's only depressing if you keep spending but no longer enjoy it. And even that is better than pissing your money away on drinks.
>>
File: sarah_11.jpg (307 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
sarah_11.jpg
307 KB, 700x1050
I regularly pay $300 and up for toys. Being a bjd collector is suffering.
>>
File: median income.jpg (169 KB, 590x921) Image search: [Google]
median income.jpg
169 KB, 590x921
>>5374034
>Aren't japanese salaries supposed to have more acquisitive power and what not?
Sure, but it depends on what they buy. Necessities are pretty cheap, but luxury goods are expensive as fuck.
So the toys? They're taking a huge huge hit, especially when you consider that they're making way less money.

I should also note that the minimum wage is about $7.

>>5374387
>I also feel like those figures lasted a lot longer because they used better plastic and stuff.
Dude, no.
Toys today are much better made and more durable than in the 80s and 90s. Yellowing plastics, leaking plasticizers, rubber bands snapping in packages, and figures that shattered if they hit the floor. I have so many 80s GI Joes whose thumbs and crotches have disappeared.
Stuff from the 80s and 90s were already noticeably decomposing within the same decade.

Almost everything I've bought in 2000-2010 looks brand new. Toys today compared to the stuff we were getting in aughties feel poorer, but it's too soon to tell.
>>
>>5374017
125 on both Space Godzilla, and Kiryu.
140 on the new King Ghidorah poster color ver.
150 on Destoroyah.
120 on Kamen Rider Amazon (bike package)
All S.H.
When I first started collecting, $64 was alot for a figure. Now I've just come to accept that if I want it badly enough, money isn't the obstacle.
>>
>>5374529
Dem hips tho
>>
>>5374645
>Toys today are much better made and more durable than in the 80s and 90s.

I still disagree. At best, they're about the same. Toys from the 80s and 90s held up really, really well.

The difference between then and now, however, is that bodies and limbs were made of much more solid parts, because there was generally less articulation. McFarlane started adding in a lot more articulation in the late 90s/early 2000s, and some of those did have a tendency to be pretty fragile, I admit.

Toys today have way more moving parts, way more smaller parts, way more joints, and are just more intricate. I was rough as fuck with my toys in the 80s and 90s, and I had figures from several lines (TMNT, Ghostbusters figures, GI JOE, etc in the 80s, Kenner Jurassic Park, Terminator, Alien/Predator stuff, Early McFarlane Spawn stuff, etc in the 90s.) and even being rough as fuck, that stuff rarely broke.

>Yellowing plastics

Really only true on clear stuff, and bright-white stuff. Even on video game consoles they just couldn't get those whites to stay white. That was a legit issue.

>leaking plasticizers,

I'm almost convince that toys leaking plasticizers is a myth. I've literally never seen it happen on an action figure, vintage or modern.

I mean, I am sure it happens, but I have legit never once seen it.

>rubber bands snapping in packages...I have so many 80s GI Joes whose thumbs and crotches have disappeared.

GI Joe O-rings are about the only thing I can even think of where this applies...and they were literally built so that they were easy to replace. It really only sucks for MOSC collectors, I guess. And the thumbs and crotches? Come the fuck on. Those are TINY parts, and you really expect me to believe that you treat your toys the exact same way now as you did in the 80s when you were a kid? Come on. Like I said, I was rough as fuck with my GI Joes and I pretty rarely had thumbs and crotches break off, though it did happen on occasion.
>>
>>5374645
>Toys today are much better made and more durable than in the 80s and 90s. Yellowing plastics, leaking plasticizers

Both of those things still happen.
>>
File: IMG_4768.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4768.jpg
291 KB, 1920x1080
Yes. Pic related, metroplex, jet wing prime, some MPs lots of times. I paid 250 for my takara mp Starscream at a convention.
>>
File: transformers discoloration.jpg (466 KB, 2036x1560) Image search: [Google]
transformers discoloration.jpg
466 KB, 2036x1560
>>5374680
>The difference between then and now, however, is that bodies and limbs were made of much more solid parts
Break open your toys and you'll see that they're all basically equally hollow. Only really early 80s stuff like Star Wars figures were more solid. Stuff from Hasbro (GI Joe, COPS, Inhumanoids) Playmates (TMNT) and Mattel had a lot of hollowness.
>McFarlane
He used rubbery plastic that could twist off a little too easily. His joints really had nothing to do with it, since even large shoulder swivels could break off.
>Those are TINY parts, and you really expect me to believe that you treat your toys the exact same way now as you did in the 80s when you were a kid?
I was still collecting Joes in the 90s and wasn't really a kid anymore. I wasn't rough with them and they still broke. I actually bought toys mint in package just to open them up and they would still break from falls or just moving them around too much. This has never happened with 00s figures, except for very rare exceptions.

And you're ignoring the fact that toys from then were visibly rotting within their own decade. GI Joes mint in package had their rubber bands snapping. Same with He Man, MEGO dolls, and other figures using that. This might be because of the plasticizers leaking or just normal wear and tear. Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, especially when there's so many documented cases showing it exists, either in the weeping form or powdery residue. Other signs are pits forming or just becoming brittle in general.

Also, fucking WHAT! When looking up for a picture to post how common discoloration was for 80s and 90s toys, i came upon this. IT's almost disgusting.
I never saw something THIS drastic, but so many of my older toys changed colors in less than 10 years.

Also, i want to point out that the rubbery plastics of toys today and 00s make them far more durable. They're far less likely to break from a fall.
>>
>>5374680
>I'm almost convince that toys leaking plasticizers is a myth. I've literally never seen it happen on an action figure, vintage or modern.
Revoltechs, like Lazengann for example.
>>
>>5374746
>Break open your toys and you'll see that they're all basically equally hollow.

The bodies, sure, but I was more talking about the limbs. There was generally less articulation in those old figures, so actual pins and sockets and stuff were more robust than they are now, meaning they didn't really feel like they were going to break.

>He used rubbery plastic that could twist off a little too easily. His joints really had nothing to do with it, since even large shoulder swivels could break off.

I just don't remember ever having issues. I know for years I bought the Spawn figures, wave after wave, and they had no problems.

I know he was going for a lot more detail, and production started to change since he was doing more Horror and movie stuff at the time once his toy company was more established. But McFarlane/Early NECA/Mezco...all these companies were known for really brittle stuff early on, and not all that stuff in the late 90s/early 2000s from them even had tons of joints. I never even heard of stuff tearing, just limbs and joints being really brittle.

You're right about the rubber bands, and the Mego type stuff, though. I wasn't ignoring that...in fact, I directly addressed the O-ring issue. But that really only sucked for MOSC collectors, like I said, since you could very easily replace O-rings.

> I actually bought toys mint in package just to open them up and they would still break from falls

Anything can break from a fall, though, if it happens to land just right. Doesn't matter if it is antique, vintage, or modern. If it hits just the right way, something can snap off. I've had modern NECA figures--which are known for being brittle as fuck--takes dives and knock half of a display over, knocking a half a dozen figures from 5-6 feet in the air and nothing broke.
>>
>>5374746
>>5374782

>Also, i want to point out that the rubbery plastics of toys today and 00s make them far more durable. They're far less likely to break from a fall.

Maybe so, but at the same time, their plastic (especially the joints) feel like they're made of licorice. You don't worry about them taking a dive and breaking, more than you worry about tearing a limb off just from moving the joint because they feel like they're made of putty. Nevermind how noodley and warped they almost certainly will be right out of the package.
>>
File: 15977687828_8e15c8a8f0_z.jpg (147 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
15977687828_8e15c8a8f0_z.jpg
147 KB, 640x427
>>5374017
Most Sentinel toys
UW Devastator
MP Shockwave and Soundwave

And, the grand-daddy of all my purchases SOC Gaogaigar
>>
>>5374017
More times than Greg shitposts.
>>
I bought Hot Toys Bruce Banner and IM3 Tony Stark for my fiancée once.

That was an expensive birthday
>>
A few times, for sold out tamashii nations figures: destroyah, frieza, broly
>>
>>5374017
i wish that was $100 dollars
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 752x564) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 752x564
It is time
>>
Closest I've come is buying items that were $100+ msrp but were on sale for less than $100 at the time. I don't really have a "limit" as I spend $200+/month on figures anyways, it's just that I haven't seen too much that I would want at that price range.
>>
>>5374017
>>5374348

100, 200, 300 HA!! I have spent 1000+ on a toy and not just once I did it a few times
>>
At LEAST once every 3 months.
>>
File: Figures261.jpg (683 KB, 960x703) Image search: [Google]
Figures261.jpg
683 KB, 960x703
Yep.
>>
>>5374017
>Have you ever spent over $100 for a toy?
Couple times.

Do combiners count?
>>
>>5375095
>Do combiners count?
Gift box sets, I'd say.
>>
>>5374017

Yeah. Canadabux but still:

Neca Queen $130ish
18 inch Neca Master Chief $140
Truforce Megaman $113
PAK Batman $110

I've never spent over 200 on a single figure, and don't plan to anytime soon.
>>
File: toad3.jpg (33 KB, 360x278) Image search: [Google]
toad3.jpg
33 KB, 360x278
>>5374680

>I'm almost convince that toys leaking plasticizers is a myth. I've literally never seen it happen on an action figure, vintage or modern.

Oh man, having at one time been a collector of vintage breyer horses I can tell you plastic can do some crazy shit with enough years on it. I've had models go squishy, actual liquid leal out of them and one classic misty that smelled of plastic chemicals so bad I had to throw it out.

Pic related, a breyer horse with plastic degrading so badly the paint is bubbling.
>>
>>5375110
This shit scares me
>>
>>5374017
Not yet but I've come close and every couple years I stand at the edge of the cliff.
>>
File: rearmount.jpg (191 KB, 1094x821) Image search: [Google]
rearmount.jpg
191 KB, 1094x821
Many times.
No regrets.
>>
>>5375174
Izzat Maketoys' Tailgate? How is it?
>>
>>5374782
>I just don't remember ever having issues. I know for years I bought the Spawn figures, wave after wave, and they had no problems.
I never had any issues either, but people were breaking them for the reasons stated.
>they didn't really feel like they were going to break
>feel
That's the keyword here. Just like you hating on licorice plastic, there really is no correlation most of the time. With most rubbery plastics on toys, you can bend them to 90° angles or higher without breaking them. Using the same force on the harder plastics from the 80s and 90s will break them.
That's why modern figures are less likely to break.

Oh, and rubbery toys from the 90s? They could peal away in layers. I've had so many GI Joe weapons from back then just wear away from being handled by the figures.
Same effect on the McFarlane figures during that era.

I should note that nothing i said applies to collector toys. They're not designed to be rugged like kids toys.
Companies like Hasbro and Mattel hire scientists/chemist to produce their plastics and they're constantly changing formulas to improve on them. It's why we hardly see degradation issues now as we did before. I think the peak performance was in the late 00s and early 10s though, but it's too early to tell if the plastic will rot earlier than it should like we saw all the time with 80s and 90s toys.
>>
>>5375239

briddy good. Some things are hard to align for vehicle mode but the articulation makes up for it. The Cyclonus kit is compete shit though so I'd offload asap. More transforming robots need a neck joint like this guy. Apparently the guy who designed it is also working on all those new official gobots.
>>
>>5375095
Is that Metroplex?
>>
Metroplex, Masterpiece Soundwave, Steelcore, a couple of PAKs. I find I don't enjoy larger figures as much so I don't buy $100+ figures often.
>>
I have an "all or nothing" mentality. I only want one figure of any given character, and I'm going to make damn sure that whatever I get is going to be whatever I consider to be the best of whatever's currently available with the only exception being me finding a really good deal. This often means I end up spending lots of money, yes, and also that my collection is very small, but I'm happy with it.

I'm just glad I give zero fucks about scale. This mentality would kill anyone that actually did care.
>>
>>5375544
it's the 3rd party one made by MakeToys
>>
>>5375079
I don't see a reason why you're proud of that.
>>
>>5374746
Some of those stickers have moved.... that's suspicious.
>>
>>5378436
lets seem em
>>
File: 2015-10-12 19.48.08.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-12 19.48.08.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>5374017
i collect macross... i am currently in the process of selling my teeth for valkyries.

i also collect SH monsterarts and high end mecha toys in general i don't think there are too many toys i have that cost me *under* 100 dollars

i just spent 320 dollars on the Arcadia VF-0S, send help and pineapple cake
>>
I collect 1/ 6 so every thing I buy is $100+
>>
>>5379760
I feel your pain.

I'd fucking kill for some goddamn decent Macross figs that didn't cost more than $150 and could actually transform.
>>
File: 902258-atlas-titanfall-002.jpg (85 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
902258-atlas-titanfall-002.jpg
85 KB, 399x600
try $560 plus s&h
>>
>>5375079
Even if your rich, i think theres a point that your spending all that much on a single toy, you need to re-evaluate your life a bit.
>>
>>5374098
>RAH figures
>$2.50 a pop
Mid-80s timeframe?
>>
>>5374649
>Now I've just come to accept that if I want it badly enough, money isn't the obstacle.

I have reached this point, and I love/hate it. Need to focus my collection. Money isn't an issue, but having double digit figuarts and figma unopened for about a year now...it's fucking retarded.
>>
>>5382185
Ugh, and it's such a shitty figure.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 453x659) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 453x659
It was like $98 dollars, but i am super into david choe art and all his shit sells out.
>>
Just once so far on a hot toys first order snowtrooper officer I preordered

Not out yet though
>>
>>5382361
that looks like absolute shit>>5382361
>>
>>5382185
Well, thats some shitty taste right there
>>
>>5374017
yes i have a playstation that i bought with lawn money. was a pretty good purchase considering i have no friends.
>>
>>5382392
Ok.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.