[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Detolfs and alternatives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 36
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 500x500
Do you guys like your detolfs? I want to get something but im not sure what. Was thinking of heading over to Ikea though... Shippig the detolf makes it like 200 bucks so that isnt an option.
>>
>>5335284
Detolf is the cheapest in my area, so I like them just fine. I like the white ones as opposed to black like most of /toy/ and /a/ because I like how the colors of my figures and toys get highlighted. If you go to IKEA and get a few, get some of their strip LED lights too they're super easy to install and have a super long cord, as well as easy replace value. If you have a big collection though, be prepared to buy like... at least 4 detolfs and some risers though.
>>
>>5335284
The price is pretty hard to beat if you have a ikea close to you .
>>
>>5338076
This. The next closest thing you'll find for an all glass curio is probably like $100.
>>
File: F75GHO1FRJIRN06.MEDIUM[1].jpg (13 KB, 214x434) Image search: [Google]
F75GHO1FRJIRN06.MEDIUM[1].jpg
13 KB, 214x434
I got a bunch of these for dirt cheap, so I'm using them for now. Glass would definitely be better though.
>>
>>5335286
>I like the white ones as opposed to black because I like how the colors of my figures and toys get highlighted
You're not fooling anyone /pol/
>>
Official Detolf ranking
White > Black > Wood effect

Also has the size of the detolf changed in the past few years? When I last went to Ikea the one they had on display seemed shorter than the ones I have at home.
>>
>>5339341
Yeah? So you recommend white?

Really thinking of grabbing one this weekend. It would be a no brainer, but I gotta travel like a half hour to an Ikea, and then take a cab back with the Detolf. Kind of a pain in the ass but better than delivery which adds 100 bucks.
>>
>>5339341
The one I have was purchased in July and it's about 6ft, I don't know if it's old or new though since I don't have anything to compare to.
>>
>>5339364
White is superior, I think the black doesn't do bright colors justice.

It comes in two long flat boxes but you can probably put them over your lap in the cab, if there's no room in the trunk. They fit into my tiny shit car somehow.
>>
>>5339366
Ha, okay, thank you. Yeah, I suppose I can call an uber there or something, if there are no cabs in the lot.

Some of them look so nice in your display pics, I think I need to pick one up. Will also get some LED lights I suppose - what I am mostly concerned with is a riser? Or something to raise it a little bit off the floor.

ALSO - When I called Ikea about it, they mentioned how they will 'require me' to call back once installing and assure them that my furniture is connected to the wall lol, like screwed in... Did anyone else do this?
>>
>>5339386
IKEA is batshit, I never call them back about it and no one at the register says anything like that. I think it's something they have to say on the phone.

I have these in mine and they're pretty cheap:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/

The cord is super long so stringing them into the detolf is no problem, and they have connectors so you can replace/add more lights very easily without taking it all apart.
>>
>>5339391
Ok, awesome thanks, will look at those lights!

>>5339387
True, yeah I'll get something to raise it. I think I only have room for 1 Detolf really ;\ I have some shelving for leftover figures though.
>>
>>5338204
As long as they are fastened to the wall or other book cases you could put Billy doors on the benno
>>
>>5335284
I don't like them. They're too small/thin and kinda wobbly.
>>
>>5343291
this guy doesn't know how to tighten screws
>>
My figs get dusty even in the Detolfs. Anyone else tried filling up the gap around the door? I haven't figured out what would be a good material for it.
>>
>>5343588
This guy doesn't know what non wobbly furnitures feel like.
>>
>>5339341
I have two pretty old ones and a bunch of newer ones, and I'm pretty sure they lost a few cm in height.
It's not much, but it's obvious when you have them next to each other, the tops just don't align.
>>
ive actually never cared for glass displays.... they leave something to be desired in my opinion... i dont know what it is... but they do look "clean"
>>
File: IMG_3884.jpg (726 KB, 1296x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3884.jpg
726 KB, 1296x1728
I own two and love them.

Yea Ikea is shit so you have to physically pick them up tho they're easy to find.
I have plans to get 2 more and a nice Bookshelf from Ikea too.
>>
They're pretty much the shittiest display cabinets in existence. The only reason "collectors" love them so much is the fact they cost like ten times less than a real display cabinet.
>>
>>5344787
What's the Kuuga thing?
>>
>>5344693
I assume you have a suggestion for a better alternative then and didn't feel like posting it?
>>
>>5344913
Have money and get it custom made or find a local store, especially the family business type, with a good reputation and see what they have to offer.

As a rule of thumb: any furniture coming from a chain store/any furniture you have to assemble yourself is guaranteed to be shit (unless you're a complete superior alpha and building the thing from scratch).
>>
>>5344932
yeah let's find some little old world shopé where a mustachioed old foreign man cobbles together a hand crafted wooden cabinet to put our japanese toys and Necas. there's one in every town.

Or just be a fucking normal person and use a clean efficient, widely available display that's mass produced and flexible with most collection sizes.
>>
>>5344953
>clean efficient
>flexible with most collection sizes
Go troll somewhere else.
>>
>>5344953
>I have about 20 Revoltech/Figuarts
>>
>>5344967
Nah, fuck-off with your "muh handcrafted" bullshit. Post pics of these hand-crafted, custom made displays, then.
>>
>>5344975
Reddit loves trolls I heard, try to go there.
>>
File: R738.jpg (121 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
R738.jpg
121 KB, 480x480
>>5344643
Weather Seal Tapes
>>
>>5344816
Complete Selection.
>>
I have a couple of these, but I have been trying to find lights for them for a really long time. I dont want wires running out of them to the wall, so ugly when people do that. I have been looking for battery operated LED strips, which are harder to find that youd think. I first tried motion sensor ones, but apparently the glass blocks it from detecting motion...go figure
>>
>>5344932
Not everyone lives somewhere you can find a mom and pop carpenter store of all things.
>>
This custom build anon is a jackass, but you could possible build something more stable with V-Slot linear rails and some wood as far as the frame goes. Acrylic will be easier to get than custom cut tempered glass
>>
>>5346550
That looks girly
>>
>>5346497
Doesn't make Ikea shit any better.
>>
How about those display cases shops always have? Regardless of whether they're toy shops or not.

Anyone know where to grab those? I can only ever find detolfs at my IKEA/local furniture shop.

Thanks.
>>
File: detolfs.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
detolfs.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1600
I don't understand why people shit on Detolfs. For their price, they cannot be beat by ANYTHING else on the market.

Try getting tempered class that thin cut to make an identical detolf and you would be spending hundreds of dollars. Making a larger, custom case would be even more expensive. I'm not saying that people shouldn't make custom cases or anything, because there's nothing wrong with that, but for the majority of us, Detolfs work just fine, despite its flaws.
As for the flaws I can think of; it doesn't have enough shelves inside for most people, it doesn't completely seal meaning dust will accumulate over time (but slower than it would outside of a case), and the particle board wood they use can be easily damaged by water (which happened to one of my detolfs due to a leaking roof).

pic related, I've been adding additional shelves to mine to make more display space. Excuse the shit-tier lighting, it's dark right now and this room has shitty lighting anyways.

Also, I recommend the dioder lights from ikea for your detolf, you can see them in the middle two cases, they're really nice lights and you can connect them together into large stips.
>>
File: mfw_pfft.png (152 KB, 258x314) Image search: [Google]
mfw_pfft.png
152 KB, 258x314
>>5346550

So lets see a pic of your handcrafted display case for action figures, with timestamp. I'll wait.

But you won't do that, will you, faggot?
>>
>>5349116

Very, very nice. Not all busy with way too many figures in there, clean room, nice lighting.

Well done
>>
File: wire clamps.jpg (1 MB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
wire clamps.jpg
1 MB, 2400x1600
>>5349121
Thanks, but honestly I haven't re-organized in quite some time, I'm still in the process of putting in more shelves and cleaning them up / making it look better. I plan on building a little stand to place all four displays on since the carpet makes the shelves very uneven (which is why three are offset, they are sitting on top of some spare wood boards I had, but I didn't have a board long enough for all four shelves).

Also, if anyone is interested I made the additional shelves by using a method I found online; you take these 3/16" wire clamp things you can buy at hardware stores, and you tighten them around the metal rods after measuring the distance. It's a little crude, but it works and the only other methods I know of to make more shelves would be to weld additional steel bars onto the frame. I got glass shelves made by a local glass cutter too for pretty cheap. I took some duct tape and cut it into a little pad so the glass doesn't get scratched either, and to prevent it from moving around so much.
>>
Look up "Curio Case"
>>
>>5349116
the old clamp mod. I got the clamps but never followed up with the class shelves. Thats what i hate about them not enough shelves.
>>
>>5349485
your shit sucks, faggot.
>>
>>5349485

Goddamn those are ugly as fuck.
>>
>>5349485
People are looking for curio cabinets, not a common cabinet with glass doors. You don't even know what the fuck we're talking about. Curio cabinets need at least 3 glass sides.
>>
I have Detolfs but occasionally swing by yard sales, thrift shops like Goodwill/Peddler's Malls, auctions and estate sales trying to find something else. Found a couple of decent displays cases but they are fucking heavy in comparison.

Ideal display setup would be something like what jewelry stores have, a slightly above waist high display with a cabinet below for storage.
>>
>>5349596

>Ideal display setup would be something like what jewelry stores have, a slightly above waist high display with a cabinet below for storage.

Really disagree with that. I mean, sure it depends on what you're displaying. If you're showing off model cars or airplanes then whatever. At waist height though its pretty annoying to have to practically sit down to look at figures of human characters or mecha head on, which is pretty much the best way to show them off if you have any ability at posing figures.
>>
>>5349608
Crap, forgot to add "My" to the front of that.
But yes, I mostly just display cars, airplanes and tanks.
>>
>>5349835
that thing is garbage for displays because you cant look at them from 3 angles, dipshit
detolf is still the best all around
its hardly wobbly, unless you have an uneven floor or live in an earthquake zone you dipshit
>>
File: IMG_20151221_013632.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151221_013632.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
just put this together actually. i used to have 2 of the detolfs, but i found them lacking in space to do anything i really wanted. so i ended up getting this Billy bookcase with some glass extras. Book case was like $70/$75 3 shelves at $10 a pop, and the doors were $50 each. not bad on the wallet after all said and done.
>>
File: IMG_20151221_013727.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151221_013727.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
the hinges are cool too. you can move the doors closer to each other or away. closer to the cabinet and also up/down to align. now to get some lights all up in this.
>>
>>5349858
> lifeless static poses

It's almost like they're robots!
>>
>>5349932
hur hur but really im waiting on some stuff in the mail so i can get it all setup. mp10 optimus woo
>>
>>5349835

This is seriously a shit item for displaying anything thats not books or fine china. This guy is legitimately retarded.
>>
>>5349853
>i used to have 2 of the detolfs, but i found them lacking in space to do anything i really wanted.

Not enough space to do what, have your transformers slightly raise one arm? What a bore.
>>
>>5349835
That's only suitable for smaller models though and it doesn't really look like something you would present your toys in.
Someone using such a storage unit with smaller figures will probably end up looking like some weird messy clusterfuck.

I mostly have Detolfs because I wanted my stuff to be visible from all sides AND because I needed the height.
I only use one glass divider though and I collect dolls that are usually 65-70cm long.
With a Detolf I can comfortably get 2 on top and 2 at the bottom and have them fully presented.

I also have two Billy's with glass doors for the ones I want to have a bit more covered.
>>
>people getting defensive because they're proved to be poorfags : the thread
You guys are so fucking cheap, no wonder you can only hit ugly chicks.
>>
>>5350005

Your shelves look like shit and you're a coward to boot. Otherwise you'd post some pictures of your glorious Preemo display that would undoubtedly make every one of your detractors cry like babies in ultimate jealousy.

At the end of the day you're just a dickless wonder with bad taste and nothing to offer.
>>
>>5350014
Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>5350077

You forgot your image reply showing off your amazing display. You can even get your smoking hot girlfriend to stand in front of it. I'll wait.
>>
File: 110477_18_zoom_180.jpg (71 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
110477_18_zoom_180.jpg
71 KB, 1500x1500
Although we have cheap booze and prostitutes, my country unfortunately has no Ikeas. Not wanting to importing something that can break easily and will be taxed to hell, i was thinking of getting one of these.
Simple bookshelf with glass doors.
>>
/toy/ - Furniture wars
>>
>>5350085
>still avoiding the subject
>>
Detolfs are fine if you are looking for an inexpensive display case. They aren't perfect by any means and do have flaws but if you can live with the flaws then they are OK for the average collector/nerd.

I've actually seen similar cases at other stores for about the same price. Believe it or not but Lowe's had some nice ones a few years ago that were almost identical to Detolfs and seemed to be a much better quality.

>>5349853

To me the Billy bookcases with doors looks a lot better.

>>5349971

Not >>5349853 but the Billy cases just offer more variety and custom-ability. They come in several different sizes and widths. They also have adjustable shelves and extra ports so that you can add shelves to your display.

Detolfs don't have much variety outsides colors.
>>
File: Office V.1.jpg (443 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
Office V.1.jpg
443 KB, 1224x1632
Old pic as I was setting up my office.

I like all the glass. Not sure what else you could do to keep your figures dust free and have such a good view of them.

They may not be perfect, but this is my collection, and I love it.
>>
>>5350662

Way too busy, and you should use risers.
>>
There seems to be a trend of people who shittalk detolfs being the kind of people who collect massive transformers and megazords that have little ability to be posed to begin with. It's otherwise people who don't understand the difference between a curio cabinet and a wooden cabinet with one glass face. These people often never show their own cases they brag about if they aren't the aforementioned mondo-bot collectors.

Yes, detolfs are inexpensive, and that's the point. Modern furniture prices are often overpriced due to pretension.

>Y-you just don't want to have to dust!
Sounds like you're upset that someone found a means that requires far less upkeep than your own.

>B-but they wobble, cheap materials!
Most furniture made from 90% glass panels, like curio cabinets, wobble if you're stomping around or don't live on a stone foundation. (such as raised wood floors, a trailer home, or second floor of house.)

If you have a woody for wood, it's pretty easy to buy some wood trim from a hardware store to put over the outside corners of a detolf. Just don't be a git about how you attach it, otherwise you no longer can disassemble the cabinet when it comes time to move.
>>
>>5349835

This looks like something you'd have a wireless printer on in an office. There's no space for figures and why would you want to display your toys on top of so much storage? Just regular book shelves would be better than this thing.
>>
>>5350662

Transformers collections always look so terrible. Goddamn.
>>
>>5350966

Because he's a moron. He spent a bunch of money on them and now he has to defend them to the death and tout his superiority to maintain his wall of cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>5351163
Half of that is fucking sentai/Power rangers yet no one bitches about those.
>>
>>5349853
>displaying the box
>>
>>5351215

Because except for stupidly cramming Titanosaurus in there for no reason instead of putting him uptop, the sentai garbage looks fine for boring, barely poseable junk. The transformers are a bland cluterfuck jammed together.
>>
>>5344643

Strange. I haven't dusted inside my Detolf in over two years and it's relatively dust free.
>>
>>5349116

Is the Detolf on the right a newer one? Is that why it's shorter?
>>
>>5351163

Agreed. They're just so bland. There's nothing about them that sort of pops visually if you know nothing about them.
>>
>>5349835
>>5349881
>>5349485
>>5351399
Remember to report this shitbag everyone. The mode will delete his posts/ban him.
>>
>>5351227
I have a lot of pets, that probably contributes to the dust. Now that a kind anon has pointed me in the right direction I found this tutorial on weathersealing http://www.figure.fm/en/post/1428/DETOLF+Dust+Resistance+Method.html Definitely gonna give this a try.

I live on the top floor and my detolfs wobble any time the dogs run around or someone in an adjacent apartment slams a door. I'm going to try putting foam furniture pads under the shelves.
>>
File: galant office fur.jpg (260 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
galant office fur.jpg
260 KB, 480x640
>>5351416
>>5350966
>This looks like something you'd have a wireless printer on in an office. There's no space for figures and why would you want to display your toys on top of so much storage? Just regular book shelves would be better than this thing.
Eh, it was just an example of how customizable the galant is. People were talking earlier about how they want display cases with storage on the bottom and having the upper shelves for displaying stuff at eye level.
As said in multiple posts, those shelves are bigger than they look. It's 5" away from being a full 3 feet long, 3" away from being 2 feet deep and has a height of about 3 feet, so the middle shelve divides it into two halves of about 15" each.
So it's way more spacious than a Detolf.

And those are TWO units, btw. So all told, that specific system is about 6 feet wide and tall. And you can continue adding more shelves to the top.
As said before, it's like owning lego furniture. You can do just about anything with it, store anything and store more shit in front of that and still have space a normal bookcase would give you to pose figures on.

but no, wanting awesome customizibility and sturdiness is all pretension.

I think the galant bottom sections here are only 17" tall. Top piece in the middle is that almost 3' one with addon shelves.

>>5351416
>someone asks why detolfs are viewed as bad
>state reasons
>WAAAH! DETOLFS ARE SUPERIOR ANY ANYONE WHO DISAGREES DONT UNDERSTAND THEM, ARE TROLLS, AND MODS MODS MODS! YU ARENT ALLOWED TO RESPOND BACK TO MY OWN INSULTS TO UUUUU!!!! MODS!!
>>
>>5351438
>all dis mad because he's getting reported for breaking rules

ayy kek lmao :^)
>>
>>5351438

Even if there's a lot of space on what you posting they still don't look like something you'd put figures on. Detolfs look like display cases and imo look nice and modern.

I don't care how sturdy galants are they look lIke shit you'd see in an office space. Shit the filename of the pic you posted has office in it. They're way to old fashioned for my tastes while Detolfs have a nice modern look to them.
>>
>>5350662

The woodgrain automatically makes me dislike this setup.
>>
File: ringdoll mona.jpg (83 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
ringdoll mona.jpg
83 KB, 683x1024
>>5351438
I guess I'll bite; it has some practicality for different needs, but are there units that have glass doors on the front?

Are there any good accommodations for lighting, other than drilling cutouts in the back panel for wires to go through?

I'm not a huge fan of that much bottom storage, and it honestly looks like a cheap bookcase display, which is what I'm trying to move away from.

I will still likely look for a curio cabinet for my collection.
>found curio cabinet the right size for what I want to display in an antique shop
>price is pretty good, but just paid 6 months car insurance premium and iffy on using emergency dosh
>tfw it's gone
>>
>>5351438

The irony is that this shit looks way cheaper than the detolfs do.
>>
>>5351611
yes, ikea sells glass doors for it.

You'll have to drill your own holes in the back, since it's "solid" particle wood on all three sides, if you want to add lights to it. I should note that it's denser than the particle wood you'd find on billys, so it weighs a lot more and support more weight, hence being more expensive.
There seem to be models with a hole already cut out for you though.

>I'm not a huge fan of that much bottom storage
You can customize it anyway you want. All of these are the same basic unit with add ons making them look different (sliding drawers, cabinet doors, shelves, glass) http://i.4cdn.org/toy/1450753639940.jpg http://i.4cdn.org/toy/1450703011271.jpg http://i.4cdn.org/toy/1450688890203.jpg http://i.4cdn.org/toy/1450674382317.jpg
IT's better to go to ikea so you can mix and match better, rather than being limited to what their online store is selling.
>>
File: url.jpg (10 KB, 174x290) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
10 KB, 174x290
Is there a good vertical lighting option? i was thinking running rope lights in the corners but all of the results ive seen online look like shit (pic related) currently i have two dioders per shelf, the lights are a bit to warm for my taste as well.
>>
>>5335284
So I just got my first detolf and everything looks great. But the glass held tilt back and forth. Like it only touches on 3 sides at once. Not a huge amount but enough for it to rock and I'm
Afraid it will break.
I've gone over everything and it's assembled wrong but I can't figure out what to adjust to make it level. I've tried moving the rubber parts. Tight and loosen screws. It's like this for all shelfs.

Ideas?
>>
anyone got experience with pic related? i'm wondering if this would look ok in a studio apartment
>>
>>5351945
seconded, would love to have this
>>
>>5335284

Fabrikor is a more expensive glass cabinet that Ikea sells. Have a more solid steel frame. It's much heavier but looks a bit more classy.
>>
File: ikea transfag coll.jpg (142 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
ikea transfag coll.jpg
142 KB, 683x1024
>>5352854
as already shown in this thread, few people can afford the more expensive options, thus they're all bad and considered trolling to bring them up.
Also, you're a poorfag transfag if you own anything but the detolf.
>>
>>5353382
The thing is, it looks alright, but I still prefer the simpler aesthetics of the detolf. The detolf is also much more modular and you can place multiple detolfs next to each other and they sit nice and tight, that on the other hand is a good singluar display to place in a corner by itself like in that image, but for more extensive collections the Detolf would be a better option.
>>
>>5353401
there's also this one, which is much much bigger and has a modern style
also this
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30280947/
this
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10239732/
this
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10290283/
and this
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39124735/#/S79089933

All perfectly good, in differing styles, and better alternatives that aren't wobby shit.
>>
>>5353418

>Built all my detolfs with my girlfriend
>Have hardwood floors
>They never wooble even when I open and close them

Uhhhhhh.....
>>
>all this bitching, moaning, and elitism over shelving
>some dude typing up a college essays worth about how detolfs are bad

Jesus fuck /toy/ is pathetic
>>
If you want your detolf to be stable just screw the base onto a solid wood piece.
>>
>>5353418

Most of those either look pretty bad or don't look better enough to be worth the price. However you did lead me to the NORNĂ„S and it looks like a nice way to display some of my smaller stuff. So thanks!
>>
>>5353517
That line has large gaps between the glass and wood parts.
>>
>>5353520

Don't care. Weather stripping is cheap and easy and even if I decide not to its easy to open it up once a month or so for a bit of dusting. I'm not lazy about dusting.
>>
>>5353499
>literally typing "wobbly budget shit" = college essay
maybe in mississippi

>>5353491
you're an outlier.
Only way I've ever gotten budget stuff to remain stable was by modifying them with metal braces and brackets. Overkill, but it works.
>>
File: 1.jpg (641 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
641 KB, 1456x2592
This is the one I'm currently using, its for blurays and DVDs, but it was the only thing I could find that had glass door and a lock (I have cats so that was important) I will install some led lights in the future.
Yeah it's a little empty but I'm waiting for some preorders before putting some of my old toys to see if it will be enough or if I will need to buy an other one
>>
>>5353558

Pick up your pokemon cards, you slob.
>>
>>5353499

>some dude

Its subjectanon and he's a gigantic faggot.
>>
>>5351945
It looks great but it takes a lot of space for displaying only a small amount of stuff. I'd say go for it if you have a super small collection or a lot of display space.
>>
>>5353654
Hi Jin.
>>
>>5351438
Dude, that looks horrible.
I also have the feeling you don't get the difference between "I want my shit stored no matter what" and "I want it to be nicely presented and visible".
This truly looks like office shit, especially with the color.
Heck, I'm sure one of the offices I worked in actually had these.

The upper part is also way too deep.
Yes, nice if you just need the space, but either you will put too much in there (i.e. clusterfuck), the toys in the back are barely visible or you have too much wasted space.

I have friends who started using the big Pax dressers to build in dioramas and store their bigger toys in, and it's the same issue there.
Due to being so deep the stuff is always far away and looks like it's drowning in the space.

Either take this >>5353418 or try a Hemnes for a more classy look.
I personally just put my Detolfs on a cabinet for more storage and to have them standing a bit higher.
>>
File: galant lego.jpg (75 KB, 640x319) Image search: [Google]
galant lego.jpg
75 KB, 640x319
>>5354080
>This truly looks like office shit
No shit? That's because it is, but other colors exist and there are dozens of way to outfit it however you want. It can have many appearances.

>nice if you just need the space, but either you will put too much in there (i.e. clusterfuck), the toys in the back are barely visible or you have too much wasted space
wut?
Why would you need to cram that much shit in there? Just be creative with the space. You can actually build a diorama and stick that into the available space to show off your figures.
Stop pretending it's an all or nothing thing, where you need to fill it up entirely with your collection.

If your collection is small and you dont want to have nearly 3x3x2 of space? Yeah, smaller stuff is available. Again, stop treating this as an all of nothing thing. I only suggested the Galant because of its versatility, I'm not saying it's an end all be all thing, because as i said before: everyone has different needs and budgets.
Of course, some people do treat their detolfs like they would a galant, as seen by people who just line up their multiple detolfs against a wall, missing the point of having 360 glass walls.
>>
>>5335284
Does anyone have one of these? It's a lot more expensive, but it looks ten times sturdier.
>>
>>5354382
bump for answers
>>
>>5354382
>>5355560
try reading the thread. This was already discussed.
>>
Does keeping your collection in a detolf have any advantages over other furniture? Do they have any other value except for the capability to display stuff?
>>
>>5350736
Risers? too busy?

>majority of the figures are megazords
>small guys there are 5 per shelf
>>
>>5351364
This argument always confuses me

>Beast wars 90's transformers
>turns into animals
>chrome
>all look different
>"so bland"

>Gunpla
>literally same humanoid form with different armour
>looks great!
>>
>>5356429
Because transformers for the most part look exactly like what they are, toys. Gunpla are models and if you are dedicated and build/paint them well they look more impressive.
>>
>>5356276

Bump, I need to know this.
>>
>>5344813
tell me exactly why you pretentious faggot
>>
>>5354382
have one in the kitchen to display plates and such can confirm very nice
>>
>>5356583
It's used for exactly that, storing and showing off things. It has all the advantages that you'd think it would have, I'm really not sure what answer you're looking for.
>>
>>5356429

Its exactly their varying colors and sizes that make them look like a disorganized clusterfuck.
>>
File: one of us.gif (912 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
one of us.gif
912 KB, 320x240
>>5356647
The answer he's looking for is that the poorfags on /toy/ will think he's cool, thus he will have that feeling of belonging for owning it.
picture very related

>>5356676
>gundams aren't rainbow colored
I wish more people were into tacticool models, but nope, kid safe rainbows.
>>
File: lego case.jpg (185 KB, 1493x1500) Image search: [Google]
lego case.jpg
185 KB, 1493x1500
>>
>>5356845

I like the look of gundams but the fact that you have to paint them to make them look good means they're a no go for me. I bet more people would be into tacticool models if they didn't require painting skills to collect.

Not to mention transformers actually transform and hold nostalgic value for people who grew up in the states. Honestly gundams and transformers appeal to totally different markets.
>>
>>5356463
>on toy forum
>display thread
>transformers suck
> they look like toys

Whut?
>>
>>5358200
>Honestly gundams and transformers appeal to totally different markets.
I disagree, unless you're specifically talking about the models.
There's a lot of overlap, because there's a lot of people who just like robots, like myself. I will admit that i barely buy any Gundams and Transformers, because I really dislike robots that just look like it could be a human wearing a costume.
>>
>>5358525
He asked why people don't think they're as impressive or why they look ugly. A collection of transformers doesn't look as good as a collection of gunpla in the hand of someone willing to put effort into it.
>>
I have a detolf and it's decent but it shakes/rattles a bit more than i would like.
>>
File: 3.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
>>5358200

What about Valkyries then?
>>
>>5359035

Modern valks look like gangly, skinny stick limbed bitches. It's really sad.
>>
Face it.
If you have any 'dedicated' storage for your toys, except maybe a toy box for older toys you don't need any more, then you are a fucking cancer and everything that is wrong with the toy collection hobby industry.

NOBODY wants to walk into your fucking room and see a bunch of toys autistically stacked up on a single shelf in the corner being presented to them like an exhibit in a fucking museum. Toys aren't a washing machine that only deserve one spot in the entire room, toys are fun and are meant to represent imagination, not aspergers.

I personally keep my toys in whichever place I think suits them at the moment I come to put them down. My bedroom, because of this, is a brightly coloured, Willy Wonka-esque factory of wonder and fantasy. I sometimes reach for a Mountain Dew and accidentally punch Optimus Prime because I forgot where he was, or I go to dig out some warm socks for the day and find myself pulling on Yoda's leg. I don't 'put my toys away' because I am not a child, I am an adult who understands that things happen, I don't have aspergers and think that my toys belong to a fucking cabinet.
>>
>>5359688

> I don't have aspergers

You're right, you have full-blown autism.
>>
>>5359688

This is a joke, right?
>>
>>5359688

>drinking mountain dew
>spilling mountain dew on your mp optimus

'Waah I'm so mature for treating my pricey entertainment like second hand dollar store garbage please emulate my inability to be responsible, clean and organized with my own possessions, just like a literal fucking child'
>>
>>5356429
Agreed.
>>
Anyone know where I can get something like this?
>>
>>5350966
>why would you want to display your toys on top of so much storage
so you can store the boxes in the drawers
>>
File: CCXWP-yWEAAZn97.jpg (84 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CCXWP-yWEAAZn97.jpg
84 KB, 600x450
>>5359688
You forgot to post your facebook profile picture dude..
>>
File: erYYLOe1WS0.market_maxres.jpg (267 KB, 1264x948) Image search: [Google]
erYYLOe1WS0.market_maxres.jpg
267 KB, 1264x948
>>5359688
> I sometimes reach for a Mountain Dew and accidentally punch Optimus Prime
> I go to dig out some warm socks for the day and find myself pulling on Yoda's leg
>>
>>5362173
The acrylic boxes or the floating shelves?
>>
>>5362212
both together.
>>
>>5358200
You only need to paint a Gundam when you get purchase a model kit. you can get the ones that's not a model kit, like Robot Spirits, Metal Build, Metal composite, etc.

I grew up with Transformers, but I also like Gundam , Macross and other Mecha stuff.
>>
>>5359688

I've been coming to 4chan for years and years now. I've seen a lot of spergs, but this guy takes the cake. This shit is on a whole-nother-level. Everyone here should feel honored that they got to read this shit because this is a fucking masterpiece of pure diluted, aged for 18 years in a cask made from melted down my little pony figures, 100% proof autism. Stunning.
>>
>>5335284
Threshhold 5 tier shelves from target, they're sturdy as fuck, have tons of room, and are only 99 bucks.
>>
File: 20151227_190611.jpg (932 KB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
20151227_190611.jpg
932 KB, 1494x2656
I've got one of these 8 cube organizers from Walmart. They sell them under the Better Homes and Gardens brand for like 80 bucks. Only major downside is no doors, but it's surprisingly sturdy. I think I''m gonna get some lights for it so I can have my figures looking nice while I wait for them to build the IKEA in Memphis so I can get a couple detolfs.
>>
>>5362251
>>5362208
>>5359899
>>5359820
>>5359692
You guys can't tell it's a satirical post?

when he said he was "pulling yoda's leg" it was a dead giveaway he was just joking and pulling our legs.
>>
>>5362333

Sorry. I don't speak retard so I needed somebody like you, who does, to translate it for me. Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>5362630
You don't need to translate from retard speech, you just need basic reading comprehension and a an analytical mind friendo.
>>
>>5362635

>and a an analytical

Ok.
>>
>>5362652
Trolled yet again :^)
>>
>>5362333
J-just pretending to be retarded h-heh
>>
>>5362214
Would like to know as well.
>>
>>5354382

I have one of these, it's very sturdy and heavy to move. It's also somewhat modular since you can change the positions of the glass panels inside, move them higher or lower as you need.
>>
File: IMG_20151229_143322.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151229_143322.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I got mine the other week, still getting used to it but it was pretty easy to assemble and I like the light.
>>
>>5351738

That looks fucking rank
>>
>>5364885
i completely agree, which is why I was hoping there was a better way to do vertical lights up the sides. It was just the only example I could find of vertical lights
>>
>>5364854

>Room is all white
>Random shit all over your desk
>Ton of PAK figures
>Nothing posed in even the slightest interesting way
>Gamecube just sitting there next to Samus standing there like a moron in a boring neutral pose

Please make better use of your space. Clean your room. Learn what risers are. Stop buying a ton of overpriced PAK shit and actually flesh out your stupid gamecube thing by buying a game or two or something to flesh it out down there with some more character. Goddamn, dude.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Work in progress. I still have to hide wires. But I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations as to where I can find decent risers. My figures look too close and busy
>>
>>5365069
>stop buying things I don't like!
>only buy things I like!
>>
>>5365480
>nobody is allowed to criticize anyone on the internet!
>4chan is a safe space!!!!
wah wah wah

>>5365069
You really expect someone to buy risers when they can barely buy a budget display case? Risers are like a 4th of the cost of that detolf and 1/10th the size.
>>
>>5366344

Pretty sure there are cheap alternatives.
>>
File: strawberry container.jpg (45 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
strawberry container.jpg
45 KB, 500x333
>>5366711
sure
>>
>>5365069

let's see yours then, make sure you clean up first you autist
>>
>>5365069

Do you just spend your days nitpicking on /toy/? Goddamn, dude.
>>
>>5366344
>nobody is allowed to criticize anyone on the internet!

sure you could try to criticise, but you didn't.
>>
>>5367221

False equivalency there, fuck boi. I don't need to clean shit because I'm not posting pictures of my room. If I was, then you can bet that I wouldn't leave it a mess shithole with soda cans sitting next to muh mint on card toys. Eat my ass, you overly sensitive crybaby.
>>
>>5367272
>fuck boi
reddit detected
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 1500x1166) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231 KB, 1500x1166
I'm using these scotch glasses. Pic similar.

Do you think this might be bad overtime seeing how it's a lot heavier than plastic risers. Trying use makeshift ones right now until I can actually find what I need for my display
>>
just got a hardwood corner display cabinet, has mirrors on inside and lights up, almost flawless condition for 30 bucks at salvation army.

Problem is I am new to /toy/ and really don't have anything to put in it
>>
>>5365069
>Room is all white

How is that an actual complaint?
>>
>>5366344
>>5366711
Amiibo boxes make really good risers. The hard part is finding people who actually purchase Amiibos who take them out of the package.
>>
>>5351738
The newer DIODER was a warm light, the older ones had that cold light that just feels more right for displays like this
>>
>>5368090
Are you joking, shit is flimsy as fuck, your figures are going to be falling all over the place, if you can even get 'em to stand correctly.
>>
>>5349116
>>5349135
What clamps are those? That's a really good fucking idea, didn't know they sold extra DETOLF shelves
>>
Anyone ever use memorabilia cases like baseball cubes as risers? Seems legit.
>>
Are dioders 4 shelves worth to a pack, or just 1 shelf (4 sides)

Just confused on what you actually get for the 20 bucks, thanks to anyone who knows
>>
>>5368458
They are 4 units you distribute freely, they have long cables
>>
>>5349091
Here's a site selling retail display cases, but they can get into the thousands of dollars at the highest end:

http://www.displays2go.com/C-666/Display-Cases-Trophy-Collectible-Retail-Merchandising-Counters-Showcases-Cabinets
>>
The Klingsbro cabinets Ikea sells are nice. Five shelves, though closer together than a Detolf. Twice the price, but feels more stable. Take up about the same amount of floor space. Depending on your needs may be the better route.

Me personally I have a Detolf, Kingsbro and random Billys. I like the Billys with doors best. I can put a lot of stuff in mine. With the Detolf it was easy to mod to prevent dust, not really the case with Klingsbro. If someone has let me know how.

Yep, statue fag.
>>
So I'm finally going to make the trek to Ikea today to purchase a Detolf.

If any kind anons could let me know if I'm missing anything?

-Detolf
-Dioder lights

Any other suggestions? Thank you!
>>
>>5374278
Weather strips if you want it more dust-free
>>
>>5368101
Well then I'm only assuming you collect shitty figures without bases or live in earthquake country because mine haven't even wobbled when I open the case.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
OP here, finally got my Detolf, super happy with it! Quick setup right now but going to have a lot of fun with this!
>>
I'm kinda attached to my detolfs. We have a bit of a history now and they've had things come and go in them. Way back when I was a young teenage collector, they were filled with Transformers, mainly Alternators and big Transformers toys and my one masterpiece figure. Later, when I got into Marvel Legends and other cape stuff, they were filled with Marvel Legends, Marvel Icons, DCSH/DCUC, DC direct, etc. Later as I started getting into Japanese stuff, SHFs and Figmas and mecha stuff became the new residents. Then more and more valkyries, SoCs, and later Hot Toys. Right now it seems I've got a bit of everything in them from all points of my collection; a Hot toys Robocop, a Neca superman, SoC GaoGaigar and Gunbuster, Monsterarts King ghidorah and Destroyah, MP-10 Optimus Prime, SHF Luke skywalker, and more. Oldest figure being the Beast wars Optimus Primal figure I got when I was 5 years old. It's like a tapestry of my collection history
>>
File: detolf clusterfuk.jpg (107 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
detolf clusterfuk.jpg
107 KB, 800x600
>>5375584
so what happened to your older toys that are no longer in the detolf?

>>5375547
>one week later
see pic
>>
>>5375592
They get packed up into boxes or moved into my cheaper bookshelves. I've also gotten a few smaller, wood and glass display cabinets for the smaller stuff, mainly SHF/Figmas(one of which being a discontinued Ikea thing I found in a thriftshop I wish I could find more of). I'm terribly sentimental(read: a borderline hoarder) and have a hardtime getting rid of things)
>>
>>5375592
Ha, im purposely trying not to crowd it too much... I actually JUST fit all my figures... But have more on the way...
>>
I've got 5 detolfs going and some weird two door variation and I still can't keep things from being a total cluster fuck. risers have helped but even that to a point is unhelpful. Is pruning a collection worth it? At what point do you surpass collecting and become a hoarder?
Is knowing truly half the battle?
>>
So...

>>5375547 here

Didn't grab any Dioders because I was rushing out of Ikea. Is this the best option or can I go with any kind of strip light?

Alternatively, what are thoughts on some kind of stick on battery light? Those are much easier to rig of course and look pretty fine to me. Any reason why this is a bad idea?

Thanks
Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.