[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you actually plays with your toys?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 23
File: 1362247011668.jpg (29 KB, 222x340) Image search: [Google]
1362247011668.jpg
29 KB, 222x340
How many of you actually plays with your toys?
>>
me plays with my toys
>>
I was about to say that I don't, but then I remembered that just a few days ago while I was posing some of them I kind of acted out a scenario and imagined a whole lot of cringy shit. And I actually do it every time I pose them. God Damn. I think I might be autistic.

Or maybe I'm just super creative and should become a director or something. guess it's all in how you look at it.
>>
File: notice me senpai.jpg (67 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
notice me senpai.jpg
67 KB, 960x540
Define 'play'
>>
Play like I would as a kid? No.
I wish I could, I enjoy building and posing more now. After that I get all precious about my pose/build, scared to fuck it up.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-09-07-11-34.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-09-07-11-34.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>>5327666
I do that. I give my figures introductions when I first get them too.

Yesterday I was asking my friends which ones to leave at home and which ones to take back by sending them pictures like this.
>>
>>5327676
Goddamn. I want to be your friend.
>>
being the huge raging homosexual that I am, I sit and play with my dolls and playsets like nobody's business.

although when my little sisters come over and ask if they can play with them i'll always say no because honestly I barely trust myself with these spindly plastic monster whores
>>
I do. I'd assume most people on /toy/ play with their toys in some way. Otherwise, what's the point?
>>
Ive been busy with college that my Smash Bros war/universal reboot arc was put on hold. but of course, ive been able to recruit more toys for my factions
>>
I pose them, put them on the shelf, may take a photo or two and then leave them there for a month or so, I then get bored of the pose, do some maintenece and repeat the above.

I dont play with them like a child would, that's retarded.
>>
Yes.
I pose them around, act out stories, and even do stupid little voices with them. I don't bash them around, but I basically do play with them.
>>
I'll occasionally move them around of give them little things of dialog in my head. I also like to imagine them going on little Toy Story-esque adventures around my house, too.
>>
>>5328685
This.
>>
>>5327713
Why not buy a few extras when they're on sale or something? Have a few you're happy to let the kids actually mess around with.
>>
>>5327650
If I had the proper space...I most likely would. For now the most I do is fiddle with what I got while creating backstories/factions/etc for the figures in my collections. Not every toy gets a story though, but there are times I'll buy figures just to fit them into the story.

My Transformers and G.I. Joe armies are my two biggest groups of specific figure lines, and for the most part every Joe and TF has a role, function and special sub-team to work with. And for both series, I have bought specific figures for the sole purpose of balancing out their sub-group.
>>
>Occasionally fiddle with action figures
>Sometimes zoom toy planes and spaceships around as if they're flying/dog-fighting
>Regularly run around my family farm at night with Nerf guns pretending to be some sort of action hero
>>
>>5327650
now i mostly use some of my figures to pose for draws and photos, some times really elaborated escenarios some times i make em objects weapons accesorys with sculpey, some i try to make stop motion (with bad results)

but fighting, crashing, throwing and all that stuff i stoped, mostly because my toys aren't cheap and i just dont have the drive i better play videogames for violence

but you don't need to feel weird if you play even the director Guillermo Del Toro has said he does plays with his toys and he actually never keep them on boxes, he buys them to play with them
>>
File: got-em.jpg (22 KB, 329x262) Image search: [Google]
got-em.jpg
22 KB, 329x262
And you faggots take the bait again.
Every god damned time.
>>
File: Another time and another place.jpg (497 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Another time and another place.jpg
497 KB, 1000x750
I sort of play with them. I've really dug into pre-built dioramas/playsets of late, so when I have the free time, I set up a themed scene involving the sets I have and a few figures. I'm considering doing a CYOA once I get settled, I've got enough sets at this point to make some 'temples' of sorts.
>>
>get new toy
>play and pose and take pictures for a few days to a week
>find a pose I like
>leave figure in that pose
>get new toy
>repeat
The only exception is my Shinki because it's just fucking cute to set her up like she's doing her own thing like digging through my drawer or cleaning.
>>
>>5329086
It's delicious bait. we must lick it.
>>
>>5329098
that skeletal spider is really neat looking.
>>
>>5329134
Yeah, it's a blast for being a Halloween . The legs are all wire-poseables, so they're shit for supporting the damn thing. There's actually an even bigger one that's got joints, but this thing's crazy big on its own.
>>
>>5327676
Man, that Heisei VS Showa movie got intense.
>>
File: I noticed kohai.jpg (45 KB, 248x220) Image search: [Google]
I noticed kohai.jpg
45 KB, 248x220
>>5327667
>>
OP, if we wanted something to sit around and look pretty, we'd buy fucking statueshit.
>>
I re-read the entire Marvel Transformers comic once like every two years or so. I always move the toys of the characters appearing in whatever issue I'm currently reading from my shelf to my desk, and back again after they're gone.

Does that count?
>>
I mostly pose them and reenact the awesome gattai merges from the source material or give them props from the comics, IE brainstorm has his suitcase
>>
>>5328926
I think this is the level most people are at, any less and its unfortunate, most people might want more but cant really bring themselves to
>>
File: sowdj.png (109 KB, 228x245) Image search: [Google]
sowdj.png
109 KB, 228x245
>>5327676

My god I used to give my toys introductions when I was a kid. There was even a time I had lost my favorite toy and when I found her again, I had this huge ceremony with my other toys to welcome her back

>you sound so gosh darn cute anon, it hurts
>>
File: 20151026_212153.jpg (611 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151026_212153.jpg
611 KB, 2048x1152
>>5329098
This anon is like a brother from another mother.

>>5331257
Pretty much. I may do a little setup and dick around on the desk with some toys.
>>
>>5329086
>hey guys lets talk about our hobby
>OMG XDDD YOU TOOK THE BAIT WHAT A BUNCH OF FAGGOTS
ok anon
>>
>>5331549
This thread pops up at least once a week, and everybody jumps at the chance to explain/defend themselves.
Yes It's a troll thread. Anybody who's spent more than 5 minutes here knows that 99% of the posters here "play" with their toys. It keeps getting posted because it gets reactions.
Most of you people are just too thick to get it.

It's the same level of trolling as the "My 8 year old son/nephew wants to get such and such toy, and I figure you guys would know what's best for somebody his age."
It's subtle, and it sails right over your heads as you give them the replies they want.
>>
>>5331563
Yeah how dare people want to talk about their hobby frequently. What a bunch of easily rolled losers.
>>
>>5331629
>What a bunch of easily rolled losers.
Pretty much, yeah.
You faggots blindly take the bait with such speed and force it's astounding.
You're all dying to validate yourselves, so these weekly circle-jerks keep going and going and going.
>>
>>5331563
>It keeps getting posted because it gets reactions.
Are the reactions "Yes, I play with my toys"?

>>5331563
>It's the same level of trolling as the "My 8 year old son/nephew wants to get such and such toy, and I figure you guys would know what's best for somebody his age."
>It's subtle, and it sails right over your heads as you give them the replies they want.
So what you're saying is that these MASTERFUL TROLLS are so good at trolling that the replying anons don't even realize they're being trolled and just treat the thread like a normal thread?

Are you sure that doesn't mean the trolls are just really incompetent?
>>
File: 1443111442619.jpg (228 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1443111442619.jpg
228 KB, 2048x1365
Remember guys: Playing with your toys is never a bad thing per se. the only reason we think it is, is because our society decided to connect playing with toys to children. Though, it could be seen as this anon >>5327666
its just a way to live out your creativity. its not more cringey than drawing pictures, taking (non-toy) photos or making music. its just a way to express yourself. its art in a way.

just because society decides some weird things every now and then to make fun of something unusual doesnt mean its right.
>>
File: Ninja battle on the bridge.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Ninja battle on the bridge.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>5331888
This lines up with a discussion I had in a store recently. I was looking through some lego blindbags and these college kids came into the aisle and were like "I wish it were socially acceptable to still like Lego" and I was like "What do you need someone else's approval for? If you like it, do it. It's your interest. Lego is more like a creative medium than a toy" and it really applies to all toys. Someone a long time ago posted that figures were like sculptures you can change. That's how I think of them now. They can be actors in a stop motion movie even. What a waste it would be to just blot out the possibilities you can use them for because someone said they're for children to crash together. Acting out a story is fine whether it's with human actors that you then have to get to go along with your script or playing out with figures. Play is healthy at any age.
>>
>>5331419
When I was a kid I held an elaborate wedding ceremony for my stuffed dog and stuffed lion and all my other stuffed toys were sitting in rows like pews and I even had a flower girl and a priest and threw paper flowers like confetti. There were vows and everything.

To this day they're still married.
>>
Autism: The Thread
>>
>>5331736
lol what
>troll post
>discussion pertaining to the purpose of the board
>lelelel faggots took the bait!
seriously, the only trolling he's doing is when he tricks you into thinking he has a point
>>
>>5332563
I want that fucking bridge
>>
>>5329098
I do things weird
I lose them. Leave them on desk. And rarely touch them. I act out the dialogue in my head between them. And pretend my computer is like a huge portal to other people's lives (characters in different video games and ones with customizable characters I create one of my toys and pretend he's entered a new world)
Kind of like some matrix shit
I'll act out the scenes of being disconnected from whatever game I was playing
When I eat I look at them and pretend they are eating as well
Same with piss
It's all in my mind. Not a word comes on
And I'm perfectly normal in real life
If you looked at me you wouldn't believe I do this
>>
>>5328685
This is pretty normal.
>>
>>5327719
Collecting them?
>>5327650
Yeah I play with my dolls. Like the way little kids do by making them talk to each other and stuff. I've even created this complex universe where smaller dolls (barbies, bjd, figma) are fairies, very small ones (like Polly pockets) are pixies and large ones like american girl dolls are elves. But no one knows because it's cringy...
>>
>>5329098
Bro, spiders don't have bones.
>>
>>5335264
Bro, it's a magic alien spider
I ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
File: myateam.jpg (2 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
myateam.jpg
2 MB, 3920x2204
Do any of you guys have a preference on scale?
I only just started collecting 4 inch stuff recently but it's just the perfect size for messing around with I've found.
>>
>>5336767
>>5329098 here. 1/18 is my main scale preferred. I love scale stuff, because you can get some crazy displays going if you do it right.
>>
>>5336767
Mainly I go for 1/18, because I love G.I. Joes and superheroes. Unfortunately, I also love aliens and monsters, so I also a bunch of figures in Neca's weird scale.
>>
>>5337268
I don't know if i'll ever pick up anything as large as the setting but it does look like tons of fun! I just bought Samus too a few days ago and I'm waiting on delivery your pic got me mega hyped!
>>5337388
I'm gonna start picking up some Joes to see how I like them, I need some mooks badly.
>>
>>5329086
>>5331563
Does it really matter, when people are legit enjoying the conversation and the only person laughing about it is some dude behind a computer, that I'll never see, and is unable to join in on the conversation.

If it is a troll, I welcome him/her, since it gets a pretty fun dialogue going.

>>5327650
All of my figures have their own personalities that I give them based on just first impressions and their actual characters personality (loosely) which directly effects how I pose them and what they do when I shoot photos.

each additional shot alters and the next and plays off the last.

Sometimes I'll pretend give them conversations and fight scenes and what not.

It's all a carry over of how I used to play with my toys when I was a little kid.

>>5331419
that's pretty adorable.
>>
>>5336767
Used to be 1:18, but it's 1:12 now. ... I so much 1:18 stuff I really should sell a lot of it. I would have so much more room. But a lot of the stuff carries some memories. .. I should get back into it.
>>
>>5337509
You probably won't get back into it. You should just sell them; it's not like you'll lose the memories if you do.
>>
>>5337388
Unless the monsters/aliens have to be a certain size, you can just act as though they're oversized to begin with.
>>5337495
Unfortunately, Jakks Samus, while a very nice sculpt, has some stupid decisions in terms of her articulation. If you find yourself frustrated with her, I can tell you what I did to fix mine so far. She still needs some work though.
>>5337509
The thing I love about 1/18 is that you can have playsets and vehicles in addition to just the characters, meaning you can worldbuild. With 1/12, it's still possible, it's just that it takes up over twice the space volume-wise.
>>5337531
Actually, the more you revisit a memory, the more it degrades.
>>
File: file.png (363 KB, 500x483) Image search: [Google]
file.png
363 KB, 500x483
>>5327650
I hold my Digivice and turn the evolution music on in the background and pretend I'm digivolving my cat I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>5337595
What's up with Samus?
It does look like she has very little to no outwards/inwards arm movement but I kinda like that. Reminds me of playing super Metroid.
>>
>>5337608
Her shoulders are two swivel joints at odd angles, so when you swing her arm up, it starts crossing over her chest.
Her hips are also wonky in that they've got some plastic really preventing them from a variety of ranges.

For the price, she's at least decent, but they're a bit head-scratch inducing.
>>
I repose them and take photos of them and vastly enjoy doing so. If by play you mean make them do voices and bash each other not really but I mean my toys aren't conducive to doing so (figmas and BJDs) maybe if I were into Transformos then I would

>>5327667
Oh hey it's this kawaii guy
>>
>>5337595
>The thing I love about 1/18 is that you can have playsets and vehicles in addition to just the characters, meaning you can worldbuild. With 1/12, it's still possible, it's just that it takes up over twice the space volume-wise.
yeah. that's why I was so into it. and it's easy to set up items for makeshift dios.

>>5337531
I've already sold a bunch, but still have a lot to sell.
I'll probably end up selling most of it, but there are some I'll never be able to get rid of.
>>
File: Metroid Robot vs ch33ky ch33f.jpg (1 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Robot vs ch33ky ch33f.jpg
1 MB, 3920x2204
>>5338611
Thank god for you setting my expectations anon I would have been mega butt hurt if not for your replies! If you have any advice on what you did to improve the fig I'm all eyes.

Also what the hell is going on the fig on the back is not the one in the box but still looks hype as hell.
>>
>>5337602
sometimes when im feeling down, my girlfriend calls at oppurtune moments. my ringtone is that same song
>>
>>5341409
The one on the back is probably one that had a lot of factory revisions to become the one you hold in your hand. It's weird, but toys that go into the factory sometimes aren't the ones that come out. I'll put together a few photos later today and post them either here or the Customs general if there's one up and cross link them.
>>
File: DSCN1614.jpg (329 KB, 750x736) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1614.jpg
329 KB, 750x736
>>5341409
Here you go, 14 minutes before midnight's still on schedule.

So essentially, the main two mods you need for her to be good are the shoulder and hip mods. Shoulder mod requires a dremel, hip mod only requires an xacto but a dremel's good for cleanup.

For the shoulder, I used a 1/8(or smaller, I'd suggest something like a 3/32 or even a 5/64 if you've got them so the joint has better grip) to create the guide holes for the joint to rest in, then just cut, test fit, cut more, rinse and repeat until it fit up in enough so I didn't notice it so much but could use it laterally for movement. The joint I used is a Hobby Base Ball Shape Joint(sphere), but it's essentially a Revoltech joint.
>>
File: DSCN1615.jpg (366 KB, 750x761) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1615.jpg
366 KB, 750x761
>>5342682
For the hip, just cut away the part on the groin that serves as a fake coupling, then smooth as you please. It's not a perfect solution, as you aren't afforded something like a 90-deg outward swing, but at the same time, she's able to swing her legs fully forwards and back without it being like a V-crotch and you get a decent amount of in-out given that it's fucking power armor.

The green circle is a 'suggested' mod, where you pop the top from the bottom and just carve the hole at the front and back so that she can bend a bit more forwards and backwards. However, I think I made mine loose, still trying to figure out how to fix that before making it a 'required' mod.

Other suggested mods that I've yet to get around to are:
>replacing the neck with another Revolver-joint like piece so she can do deeper forward, backward, and side-side motions. Not required because her skeleton's very thin, so that might not work.
>articulating her left wrist. Have to figure out a good joint to install, but at least a swivel so she can rotate, but a ball or a swivel/hinge joint would be better.
>New joints in boots. Requires her boots to not look as clean
>swappable gun arm heads. Because you know you want a Missile Mode at least.
>>
>>5332563
>stop motion
Literally that's what it became for me. Wish I still had the time to do it nowadays.
>>
>>5341429
>>5342682
>>5342691
Thanks dude that doesn't look that hard plus I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a new dremmel so this'll be it. I have a ton of spare garage kit fake revo joints I could use.
I should be able to pick these up but I hope to see that ankle and wrist mod when you do them, especially the ankle one!
>>
My one cousin still plays with them like a kid, he is 21, and could have girls drooling over him if he was in the same room as Jared Leto and David Bekham but is completely oblivious to this. I keep a couple of Star Wars models and figures (most valuable thing I got is a $100 falcon) on display in my van (also my home) just for morale purposes and when I visited him he literally grabbed them and asked "can I?" I figured what the hell.

He works, lives on his own
drives a 63 Pontiac that he keeps in really good shape, is completely normal in social situations. and in general lives a better life than me but that's what he does all day.
>>
File: 1448256112401.jpg (54 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1448256112401.jpg
54 KB, 514x536
>>5332563
>mfw my friend spent almost a thousand dollars on those fucking ninjas

those are the articulated icons, right?
>>
>>5342691
I've done almost exactly this to my Samus. For the shoulder I cannibalized some large joints from an old Eva-00 revoltech leaking plasticizer. I had to cut most of both posts off, and I carved the pauldrons hollow so I could attach her arms closer to her torso. To tighten the midsection I used the old glue/floor polish trick.

For the head, all you have to do is cut some rubber off the socket hole. The neck articulation is much better and the head still connects properly.

For the wrist, I cut her hand off at the panel line and drilled a tiny hole in both the arm and the hand. Then I clipped a piece of metal off a paperclip and glued one end into the hand. I then layered some glue on the other end of the rod to create a kind of mushroom peg. The hand disconnects slightly when you rotate it unless you sand down both halves to connect flat.

For the ankles I cut out some space in both halves to install a small revolver joint, and drilled the foot-side connection hole in diagonally. It's a rocker ankle, ala golden age Marvel Universe and modern Marvel Legends. Afterwards I zipped a hole in both heels to make her stand-compatible.

As for the cannon head, I don't recommend trying. That was the last thing I attempted and I fucked it up since the rubber molding made the cross-section uneven. I tried to fix that with some sanding, but it looked bad. At that point I couldn't glue the bits back together, and I still need to cast the cannon head of my spare figure to make a replacement.
>>
>>5330352
Figures are basically poseable statueshit
>>
I only have nendoroids, I just like to pose, make up personalitys for them and take photos, even have a dollhouse to set them up.
>>
File: 1283715097937.jpg (15 KB, 244x225) Image search: [Google]
1283715097937.jpg
15 KB, 244x225
>>5345357
>even have a dollhouse to set them up.
>>
File: s2.jpg (674 KB, 1100x759) Image search: [Google]
s2.jpg
674 KB, 1100x759
>>5345715
Whats that reaction supposed to be, anon?
>>
>>5345921
It's funny that you have a dollhouse
>>
>>5345340
This is very true. Gotta love how everybody raises their nose up high about statues but if I could go back and do it all over again, I just wouldve spent a few hundred on a few different statues rather than thousands on hundreds of different figures.
>>
I only buy very expensive stuff that makes me too afraid of even posing them too much, so no.
>>
File: IMG_2479.jpg (203 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2479.jpg
203 KB, 1600x1200
I play with them my taking photos. Its fun.
>>
File: Young Jimbo.png (121 KB, 256x377) Image search: [Google]
Young Jimbo.png
121 KB, 256x377
I feel out of place here.

I love collecting toys like a child, but I just don't think I've ever had the urge to play with them. I think because my collection is quite small right now my options are limited, but I've never had the urge. Is this idea of ''playing'' normal for people who browse /toy/? I have been for a year now and I never assumed people did this kind of thing.
>>
>>5347211
I just like having little poseable pieces of art
>>
>>5344607
No, they're GI Joes, 1/18 scale. AI is 1/12. If your friend spent $1k on $10 GI Joe ninjas he would be the fucking man in my book. With AI that's like, what, maybe 20-30 depending on the type?
>>
>>5348043
>With AI that's like, what, maybe 20-30 depending on the type?
probably something like that
>>
>>5347104
What is that? I like it.
>>
>>5327666
Satan has spoken.
>>
>>5348066
>dubs 66
Shut up mini Satan leave your autistic brother alone!
>>
File: 1435475118256.gif (2 MB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
1435475118256.gif
2 MB, 500x438
>>5348443
My bad. I'll mind my business.
>>
I sometimes play with them when my gf is around she likes to play too
>>
>>5327650
For what else would you collect toys?
>>
File: IMG_2561.jpg (142 KB, 1600x1064) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2561.jpg
142 KB, 1600x1064
>>5348065
bounty hunter from star wars IG-88. black series.
>>
File: tumblr_nzh5wlSHLB1s3y9slo2_500.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzh5wlSHLB1s3y9slo2_500.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>5327650
>>
>>5349422
Essentially, but there is posing usually just one figure in slowmotion fights and engaging with imaginary npcs and environments.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.