[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jumbo action figures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10
Okay, can someone explain to me what's with all the BIG action figures hogging the shelves these days?

They're kinda too big & cumbersome for a child to play with normally. Horrible articulation & stiff sculpts really ruin it for collectors. And then there's the cheap paintjobs and brittle plastic they're made of. One good drop on concrete and they'll shatter like glass.

And they're $20~$80 depending on size. That ain't cheap and can buy you more better quality toys.

These jumbo figures and those horrible 12" titan figures are all I see in stock everywhere I go. What happened?
>>
>>5324918
>They're kinda too big & cumbersome for a child to play with normally
No they aren't. When I was a little kid I loved huge toys. there was a massive fuck-off Beast Machines Cheetor that was the best.
>>
The fad is kinda teetering off,really. They were everywhere last year and before,now they're.mostly relegated to a handful of things and are smaller. 18'' or so seems to be the go-to scale. Where as 30+ inches was the thing last year.
>>
Big action figures are all the rage right now, just like they have been in the past.

Don't question trends
Just go with it and try to cash in as much as possible before it dies.
>>
File: 800px-BM_Supreme_Cheetor.jpg (58 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
800px-BM_Supreme_Cheetor.jpg
58 KB, 800x533
>>5324932

>Can't stand on his own.
>Each arm had a gimmick that severly hindered articulation in both modes.
>Said arm gimmicks activated if you looked at it wrong.
>Can't hold his own sword properly.
>Doofy grimacing teeth face sculpt.
>Shelfwarmed HARD to the point of 70% off in most places.

Time to take the rose colored glasses off, kid.
>>
>>5324944

But those Big TMNT figures came with the same articulation points as their smaller brothers at the time. Plus, they were made of durable vinyl for kid friendly bashing.

The current jumbo turtles are bigger than the old versions, yet they're made of a cheap brittle plastic that's hollow in the back. They have less articulation, and no weapons.
>>
>>5324948
Who gives a shit about any of that, when you're a little kid all you care about is MASSIVE CHEETOR
>>
File: il_570xN.495367567_b3te.jpg (61 KB, 570x827) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.495367567_b3te.jpg
61 KB, 570x827
>>5324957

Forgot pic.
>>
>>5324918
I'd pay anything for a TDKR Bane.
>>
>>5324918
because only whining manchildren cry over articulation, and a 3' Darth Vader that costs only $5 more than a 6" version is a better value to most consumers.

I don't care what BBT tries to say- nerds are still scum to most people. Companies pander to them as a source of easy sales, but you're still basically shit in society's eyes and bullies will continue to beat you up.
>>
Overall I think they're fun. I like having a few big guys to mess around with. I started with an 18" Hellboy, and when Pacific Rim came out I got the 18" Gipsy and Cherno. Recently got a 17" Monster High doll to fight my Jaegers for the lulz.
>>
>>5324959

When I had him as a kid, I cared.

I cared that he couldn't hold his sword and his arms couldn't bend. It doesn't matter if the figure was big or not. If stupid gimmicks got in the way of basic play, then the toy makers were doing it wrong. Hell, on that bigger scale with more plastic work with, Hasbro could have worked those problems out easier than on a small figure.
>>
>>5324932
This. OP is thinking from an adult perspective. When you're a kid, if someone hands you a Master Chief half as tall as you are, you think it's the coolest fucking thing in the world. You don't care if it can do the splits or stand on tippytoes. All you care about is that it's the character you love, and OH MY GOD IT'S FUCKING HUGE
>>
File: 435860.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
435860.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>Oh, hey! An Imaginex Batcave for $30!
>Lookit at all the things it has!
>Lookit all those play features!
>Batcycle! Break out ramps! Opening Iris window! Missile launchers!
>Plus good ol' Batman & Robin figures!
>>
File: jumbo bats.jpg (24 KB, 489x500) Image search: [Google]
jumbo bats.jpg
24 KB, 489x500
>>5324996

>Oh, a big Batman figure.
>What does it do?
>Well, I can raise his arm in the air like he just won a boxing match, but that's it.
>He can't even sit. His legs only move 20 degrees.
>So mostly he just stands there. Watching.
>...
>>
>>5324942
There are three 48" toys in stores right now. Big toys are still hot. Thanks, Star Wars.
>>
File: pTRUCA1-21967622_alternate1_dt.jpg (88 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pTRUCA1-21967622_alternate1_dt.jpg
88 KB, 500x500
Each time i go to Toys R Us there's always some of those Star Wars figs and maybe some superheroes if i'm right.

But last time i saw that monster of a fig. This fucker was probably over half my height. I was like, ''Who the fuck would want a giant turtle watcing you while you sleep.''

But it's still less scary than that skeleton-thing i had that you needed to buy the parts with magazines each week(never finished it since it was too much money.)
>>
>>5325083
Found a pic of the spooky scary skeleton
>>
File: pTRU1-14766686enh-z6.jpg (59 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
pTRU1-14766686enh-z6.jpg
59 KB, 1000x1000
I kinda want one of those My Size Barbies. But they don't make many alternate outfits for them. I'd want a bunch of different outfits to put on her, I think I'd get bored if the only think I could do with it was sex
>>
>>5325101
You're supposed to learn how to sew outfits for those dolls and then move on to the grown up version - bjds.
>>
>>5325105
BJDs are too small, you can't fit a fleshlight into them.
>>
>>5325109
I have great news for you if you're an Eva fan! 1/1 scale, and only 5000 dollars.
>>
>>5325109
Son, if this weren't a worksafe board I would show you things you've only dreamt of. They specifically make alternate bjd bodies with that feature built in. Go ask /gif/ for some fuckable doll action if that's your thing.
>>
>>5325123
The poseable Paper Moon ones back in the day would be better. Anyone remember that Chii that kept sitting on Ebay because no one wanted to spend $8k on it?
>>
>>5325083
>>5325091

I had that skeleton and I fucking loved that thing. I'd always be taking off his transparent muscles and play with it as an action figure, taking out and putting back his organs and whatnot as well, and then seal him back inside his fleshy prison again at the end of the day.

Though to be fair I've had a skeleton/skull obsession pretty much all of my life.
>>
>>5324967
>projecting this hard
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.