[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discussing toys with normies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Penguins.jpg (760 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760 KB, 1024x768
NYCfag here. Everyone in my office just found out that the Toys R Us in Times Square is closing down (along with FAO Schwartz)... now the whole office is talking about these stores, and toys in general...

...Meanwhile, I have to hide my power level and refrain from sperging on about Sonicos and Drossels...

What would you do in the situation? Just talk about normal toy shit with the coworkers, or progress it into a super nerd conversation?
>>
Just talk about Funko Pop! Vinyl toys and mention that you love TBBT.
>>
>>5370042
Don't say anything at all. Don't risk anyhting. Do NOT reveal your powerlevel or attempt to do so.

I didn't know the Toys-R-Us in Times Square was closing and I live here. Fuck.
>>
>>5370042
I just wouldn't talk about it. Not to hide your hobby but just because talking about toys with people who don't collect is generally crap.

I mean I talk to my closer friends about it but I probably wouldn't talk about it to coworkers.
Everyone is just like "This is worth so much money! When are you going to sell??" and stuff like that. It's hard to convince someone who doesn't collect that buying toys for investment is stupid and that not everything they played with as a kid is worth a million dollars.

Some people literally believe funko pops and shit will put their children through college.
>>
>>5370235

>Some people literally believe funko pops and shit will put their children through college.

There really aren't any rare or expensive POP figures though, are there?

And normies might think shit like that because they hear the rare instances like really old Star Wars toys from the 70s are kind of worth a lot, Beanie Babies were worth a ton in the 90s, and sometimes shit like Tickle Me Elmo gets to be worth a lot for a short while because of a huge demand for it.

If you showed a normie a $50 or $50 import figure, they'd probably assume it is a $10 toy you can pick up off the shelf at Walmart.
>>
>>5370042
Talk normal shit.
They probably won't even understand if you sperged out on something they at least understand the IP of, aka Marvel, Disney etc.

Someone who had that Fisher Price castle as a kid most likely won't know or care about which Figma you got this week.
>>
>>5370042
I talk about my figmas and nendroids when co-workers ask me but i never bring them up, most of them don't care about toys except those funko statues but even i just ignore them when i see them on peoples desks.

Its a little sad it closed down but I really don't care, I go there 3 times a month but i rarely buy anything since i can buy online or just use my bro who works as a overnight logistics TL in target to hold new toys for me.
>>
>>5370042
Talk about Star Wars and how awesome is the trooper with the baton.
>>
>>5370248
There's a few. Only like con exclusives and shit. But it's not like their in demand. A lot of people collect pops because they're affordable.

And I'm almost positive these will face a crash like beanie babies did and even the super rare exclusives won't be worth anything
>>
>>5370548

Yeah, but remember. Back in the 90's there was a HUGE rush for Beanie Babies. There really isn't that same rush for POPs, even if there are still a few rare/exclusive/more sought ones.

Some Beanie babies were going for hundreds, even thousands of dollars. People were absolute animals trying to get a hold of some of the rare ones. People were actually legitimately "investing" in beanie babies, planning on sitting on them for years and years, and then selling them off for retirement/college/etc.

Now they are literally worthless. I remember that video where some family spent like, tens of thousands of dollars on beanie babies, planning on reselling them when their kids went to college, and the craze collapsed way before then, so they were basically broke.
>>
>>5370042
Yeah just be casual about it. If someone starts unloading their power level, join in but otherwise stay cool.

Why are they closing that TRU down by the way? Not doing as well?
>>
>>5370592

TRU closed a lot of stores this year, actually. I had three that I regularly check on my outings, and one of those three closed.

Also, the one in my hometown closed, that I sometimes visited when I was out of state. Kind of a bummer, since that's the one I always remember going to as a kid.

Surprised the big one in Times Square is closing, though...

TRU, I just don't think is doing so well.
>>
>>5370042
>What would you do in the situation?
I wouldn't reveal my power level. My coworkers are my coworkers, my friends are my friends, and the two worlds don't need to intersect. Everyone that I work with knows me only in the context of work, and that's good enough because I value my real friends more.
>>
I've never had any comfort talking about toys to people.
Either the person is much much more geekier and obsessed than me, so it gets super annoying fast.
Or they simply don't care and discussion goes nowhere.

Hobbies in general arent talked about a lot, as far as I've noticed, unless they want to join in too and that's rare.
>>
>>5370042
Is it closing during or the end of January? I was planning on going there this coming year.
>>
>>5370575
I initially thought there wasnt any sort of rush either bit after checking sold on ebay seems theres a bit over $1000
>>
File: 1376192882346.png (450 KB, 516x415) Image search: [Google]
1376192882346.png
450 KB, 516x415
always remember, history repeats itself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

those who fail to learn from the past deserve everything coming to them
>>
>>5370592
>>5370616
TRU stated that the rent in times square is becoming too high, and they are relocating that store somewhere by midtown.
>>
>>5370042
Just repeat what you read in the Star Wars threads.
>>
>>5370042
>people talk about toys
>should I start sperging ebin /toy/ memes?
say, you are with your cowrokers one day, casually talking about some superhero stuff because they just made a new movie or something, and this guy you don't really talk to starts sperging about comic books plots, alternate universes and other nerdy lore shit you don't give a fuck about, how would that make you feel?
Or maybe when someone heard you say "goddamit" or any mention the word "god" and starts lecturing you about religion?

why is that even a question in the first place?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.