[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fandom Fatigue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: 1424492761682-1.png (264 KB, 500x800) Image search: [Google]
1424492761682-1.png
264 KB, 500x800
I've been collecting Transformers for the past 10 years, ever since I was a kid. At my collection's peak I likely had over 400 figures, but I've been downsizing over the past year which feels like I've had a weight lifted from my shoulders. At this point I should be happy with my hobby, but I'm not. Last night before I went to bed I realized: I hate Transformers.

I still enjoy the toys and certain universes of fiction, but I fucking loathe the fanbase. I hate the rampant autism, the "with us or against us" obsessors who throw the word "hater" around because they cannot handle negative opinions, and the over-analyzing no-lifes who look for deep meaning in Michael Bay movies. Forum site staff even protect these idiots and let them run amok. The things that need to be said to these mental patients, CANNOT be said, because it'll hurt their feelings and we can't have THAT in the safe space.

Just focus on the franchise itself? Well, the fiction is currently piss-poor. NuRiD was horrible, IDWverse RiD has always been painfully mediocre, MTMTE went full-on Tumblrism, and there's more godawful movies on the way. Focus on the old stuff? Well, I don't usually enjoy re-watching or re-reading most things unless there's some subtlety I might've missed. As for the Generations toys, they're all the enjoyment that's left, and the quality of that line is on the decline. Masterpiece isn't really my thing since I feel like the brand's history doesn't grab me until after 1986.

So now I've got this urge to just drop everything and distance myself from Transformers as a whole. I feel like I'm a worse person for being part of this. I guess this is more of a rant than anything, but has anyone else felt this way about a line you collect? Were you able to ride it out, or did you quit cold-turkey? Should I quit now, after 10 years?
>>
>>5364889

Yeah, quit. This is something you do for fun. If it's costing you money and time, and is making you miserable, get the heck out.

Downsize more, maybe keep 10 of your most favorite figures around, and take a break. You'll find something else with your new found time.
>>
>>5364889
>I guess this is more of a rant than anything
This honestly doesn't feel like a troll or copypasta, I have to reply!
>has anyone else felt this way about a line you collect
Warhammer 40k. I have like $5k easy in minis for that game. Part of me wants to sell it off, part wants to put it in the garbage and never look back
>Were you able to ride it out, or did you quit cold-turkey?
It took a little while to figure out, but once I made up my mind I was done.
>Should I quit now, after 10 years?
Only you can answer this, but if you are truly sick of it, won't regret something later, then do whatever it is you need to do: sell collection, stop buying new stuff, burn it all in a fire, whatever.
For the record, I have no bias against TF. I consider myself a collector of them, but only really buy iterations of various G1 Decepticons that I have always loved, since they were a new thing in the 80s.

>captcha select all images of pasta or noodles
IT KNOWS
>>
>>5364889
A less blog-like OP might have been good, but as fair as this topic goes, yeah I used to be in the same boat.

I used to be into Transformers, not for 10 whole years but for a fair few, and I pretty much dropped it when the new cgi cartoon started (though I haven't actually seen the show, that just happened to be the time when I decided to leave). I enjoyed the figures, the collecting and the lines, both Generations and Power Core Combiners were absolutely my shit I loved those figures.

But I could never really get into the community itself, it just felt like there was this wall of obsession and elitism (which I now realize as autism) between me enjoying transformers as an individual and me enjoying them within a community.

In the end I just found something else that I really enjoyed, which I later found to have a much better community.

So my advice, yes, you should quit. Spending your time with around too much autism is really bad for your mental health and will suck out any enjoying you had for something.

Maybe try enjoying it on your own, or take this opportunity to have a look around and take in some other sources of entertainment.
>>
>>5364889
>IDWverse RiD has always been painfully mediocre, MTMTE went full-on Tumblrism,

b8
>>
Its for the best OP. Transformers collections almost always look terrible. Maybe get into collecting something with a strong and vibrant fiction that you'll see yourself enjoying for the forseeable future. No need to go crazy on it either. Save your cash and just buy things slowly. Look to buy more expensive items, savor purchases instead of buying on whims.
>>
>>5365025
Barber's series was okay in the very beginning, dipped with Prowlastator, and then became Hasbro's marketing dump-ground. MTMTE used Tumblr as part of the plot of the Swerve-Earth issue.

>I don't agree, therefore b8
Part of the problem.
>>
>>5365070
>mansplaining was brought up in that issue
I cringed.
>>
>>5365080

Jesus, why?
>>
>>5364889
Find a hobby where the fun is independent of the source. Like plamo.
>>
>>5364928
>A less blog-like OP might have been good,
Yeah, probably. This was building up for a while so I had a lot I wanted to get off my chest.

>Maybe try enjoying it on your own
I think I'll start with that.
>>
>>5365080
>mansplaining
I'm almost scared to ask but... what is this?

It sounds like something surgical.
>>
Wal-mart shit just isn't cutting it for you anymore. That's okay. It means you're growing up.

You need to start looking into premium collectibles- I'm talking $300+ pieces, at minimum. You want to start now so you'll be able to build up a decent collection, or else you'll never have any kind of status as a collector.

There's a couple things I'd recommend here. For one, you need to broaden your collection's scope. Generally one media property Isn't going to have many of the kind of high status collectibles you're going to want, so you need to look for other things. As a rule, the more popular the franchise, the more likely it is to have something you need. You may want to look at statues, since those tend to be the most impressive items a property might have.

Another good thing to work on is completing a collection. For example, some collectors try to complete Classic Star Wars figure sets. Having an entire collection of a complete line, particularly one that's rare or MOC, can be very rewarding.

Finally, look for prototypes or unreleased toys. These will generally be worth a great deal more, and will make your collection unique. The best part about these is that nobody else will have them, so you can rest assured that no one has what you do.
>>
>>5364889
I went through almost the same thing with Power Rangers/ Sentai.

It started off with the nostalgia factor since I loved power rangers as a kid. I bought tons of old morphers and the flip heads and whatnot.
Then on to sentai and ranger forums and whatnot.

All of the forums were cancer. From what I see in the TF community it's basically the same.

It got to the point where I was collecting everything power rangers and I was buying a ton of figures I didnt even care for just to complete teams. Even the American bandai stuff which sucks ass.

Also, a bunch of people knew me by the fact that I have a shit ton of power rangers and not by who I was. I'm not ashamed of my hobby but it's annoying to be nothing more than the guy that collects power rangers.

Eventually Bandai of America announced some legacy line or something(I don't remember the name) but basically it consisted of every red ranger ever.

This was pretty perfect for me. Red is my favorite color and as a kid I always loved the red rangers(fuck the green ranger)

So I hunted down each and every one to make a forever red display as a sort of homage to the series and my old collection.

After that I sold all of my other power ranger stuff and started collecting things I actually enjoy. feelsgoodman

tl;dr Keep some transformers or even just one that you really like and sell everything else off
>>
>>5365101
Basically when a man proves a women wrong through the use of facts and evidence.
>>
>>5364889
>>5364912
I did exactly this, for exactly the reasons OP stated.

I have about 10 figures left, mostly Scout/Legends.

Do it, OP. Get into something more interesting instead.
>>
>>5364889
i feel you op, i also collected transformers for quite some time, but i started adquiring less and less in the past 4 (now i kinda regret it because i got way too much transforers, so i'm thinking on selling them soon too and keep the ones i really like), either because i wasn't interesed or simply i started spending it on other figures; and now looking at the new releases, things aren't that great compared to 2 years ago.
i managed to still like them because i didn't try to get closer to the fandom, and seeing a bit of the generals and your shared experiences, i can see that i'm pretty lucky to not have invested/wasted time on them.
as other anons said, it's better to cut ties, and try to sell everything that you don't like anymore, but i want to tell you, try to forget that a fanbase exist and just enjoy the figures, i know it's hard, and maybe you will end interacting just a little bit with them if you search info for tfs you probably like. but only do that with them.
of course, that is if deep inside you still like transformers, probably now you're just pissed with those faggots at those forums/groups/etc, blinding your interest, and that's something i can understand very well, try to meditate once relaxed if you want to clean it all.
in any case, there's a world of interesting media and figures apart of transformers, so just relax after doing that cleaning, and try to broaden new horizons. and also remember and treasure the good times the franchise gave you (if there's any of course)
good luck op.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nkapygXkBi1slbwep.jpg (171 KB, 467x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nkapygXkBi1slbwep.jpg
171 KB, 467x750
I think it's just a matter of separating yourself from the loathesome chunks of the fandom. My exposure is entirely through this board and two employees at a local nerd shop, both of whom care about the toys being fun more than accuracy or comics or anything. Hell even MTMTE is purely a delivery system for DJD for me , and I'm choosing to just not read thetheit in-between.

Just switch to the shit you want, collect it casually by stopping at stores on the way , or upgrade to stuff like the more outlandish or average third party releases. I was brought up on revoltechs and moved onto chogokin and other "luxury brands" afterwards, and since I have no attachment to G1, MPs are just alright. Hence third party guys making shit like Liokaiser and the scarier cons from the fiction make it worthwhile with the increased complexity that I want.

Either that or just go robot collecting, get some SRCs and shit and settle into fun.
>>
>>5364918
>Part of me wants to sell it off, part wants to put it in the garbage and never look back
Why wouldn't you sell it off bro? Turning down free money seems like such a waste.
>>
OP sounds so fucking lonely. How about trying out the different type of cancer: multiplayer games with a toy/merch following? Maybe even card collecting. Also ANY big fanbase is shit fanbase. Just look at /a/: the moment they announce an ecranisation of a comic, even an extremely popular one, everything goes to shit in a matter of weeks. Christians is another nice example. What's just how humans work.
>>
>>5365511
Not the same anon, but selling can be a hassle when you have a shitton of it.
You need to take pictures of everything, need to deal with idiots, the shipping out and so on.
Sometimes money is not worth that.

Also know people who avoid doing all this in fear of getting attached again.
Like it's easy to say you kick it out, but then you have it in your hands, fiddle around with it, take pictures and might think that maaaaybe you should keep it.
Doesn't happen if you just grab it and toss it in the bin.

>>5364889
I had this with anime/manga itself.
For years I was very into it, bought all kinds of series and sometimes merch for them too but when I moved out of my parent's house I got rid of most of it.
Some was sold, some into the bin.
I did it partly because I felt like there was no space for it in my new place anyway and moving made it easier too, but deep down I also knew I had lost interest.
Even the very few series I kept (less than ten) are stored in the attic and haven't been touched for years.

Nowadays I look back and I just can't wrap my head around it anymore, like, how I could have spent so much money on all this.
I wasn't even one of these "uuuh so kawaaiii" weebs that acted like retards out in public but I still feel ashamed about having been so into this shit.
Most of the series are downright retarded, a lot of it is just made to sell merchandise and the fandom is full of teenagers, creeps and whatnots.

Honestly anon, if it doesn't make you happy anymore and you see no way to regain that happiness get rid of it.
Start a new hobby with the money you earned and just hold onto the good memories.
>>
>>5364889

Welcome to the enlightened, Anon. I used to be a hardcore TF fan, and collected TONS of them before dropping out just like you did. The truth is that Transformers aren't really 'collectibles', not in the sense that some other toys would be. They're simple toys with bad paint and cheap plastic that take up too much space for the simple entertainment they provide. Half of your 'hobby time' as a TF collector is watching 20 minute reviews made by bored manchildren who will generally praise any figure that doesn't fall apart in their hands. You will have to watch dozens of reviews just to make sure your next $25 purchase isn't on a completely shit figure. But it doesn't matter, because if you aren't buying one of the nicer Masterpieces, nothing Transformers is quality enough to be worth collecting. The lore of Transformers can be interesting, but Hasbro's attitude towards the story ('it's just there to sell toys') will ensure that nothing entertaining or constructive ever comes out of the IP.

The TF fanbase are probably the worst people I've had to deal with on the internet. Almost as bad as furries but instead of sexual deviance they obsess over having shelves filled with technicolor crap. Tons of drama will start for petty reasons, followed tons of shit posting and white knighting, before admins swoop in to ban & ass-pat the participants. Repeat ad infinitum. No negativity or criticism is ever allowed by the community, and even the shittiest of custom figures will get praise. The TF community combined with the general shittiness of Hasbro completely neuters any fun that might be eked out of the 'hobby'. You're much better off giving it up and moving on to something new and enjoyable.

>>5365112
This anon has some good advice
>>
OP is a faggot.
You worry too much about the fanbase and letting them decide whether you like what you like. That's just retarded as fuck.

Seperate yourself from the fanbase if you think it's toxic.
I do the same shit with my like for anime series & eastern figures and weeaboos. Stop caring about the toxic fanbase and concenrate only on you like.

>>5365112
>For example, some collectors try to complete Classic Star Wars figure sets. Having an entire collection of a complete line, particularly one that's rare or MOC, can be very rewarding
This is also retarded.
Buying just to buy and have a complete set is empty and meaningless if you don't actually care about everything you're buying.
Don't buy into this OCD. You're only busying yourself to preoccupy youself from some underlying problem. It's a waste of time that doesn't benefit you.
>>
>>5365511
>This anon >>5365533 pretty much summed up why selling isn't always best.
Imagine, I put a chunk up on ebay and some autist leaves me neg feedback because one of the runners has flash or something. the last thing I want to do is have complications arise when all i want is to get rid of it.
>>
>>5365529
>Christians is another nice example.

Dude, no fucking kiddinng. Fucking Constantine. That guy ruined EVERYTHING.
>>
>>5364889
Buy shinkis instead, anon.
>>
I started getting into Treansformers again in college. Even spent like eighty bucks on a Japanese import replica of G1 Optimus at one point. Yet I stopped really caring as the ailes were full of Bayformer shit and I just didn't have a place for them.

Last one I bought was Rattrap from Beast Wars and that was mainly due to the voice actor.
>>
>>5364889

I have collected Transformers for nearly 20 years now.

This is 100% the trash I pretty mad Ch avoid the fandom and only vaguely follow the fiction. Beast Wars and Beast Machines may be the only series I have watched every episode of.

It's definitely a shitty fandom. The only place aside from /toy/ I have ever regularly posted was alt.toys.transformers but I have not visited there in like a decade.

As for quitting after long periods. I actually did pretty much quit Star Wars cold turkey. I have only started buying again with some of the 6" stuff. It wasn't that I disliked it, I just got to a point where I was happy with what I had and didn't need more. I had the "best" versions of the characters and just didn't need anymore figures.

I am actually reaching that point with TFs. I generally stick to Classics style figs. Combiner Wars has filled one of the remaining voids in my collection but I have stuck with the actual combiner guys, none of these G1 Autobots etc. I will probably pick up a few of the headmasters next year but my TF collecting is seriously winding down.

It's not that I dislike them, just that I am happy with where its at. I may purge some extra bits next year but I likely won't get rid of all of it.
>>
>>5366551

Yeah, selling is a pain. If I sell, I usually throw stuff out at a garage sale then maybe send the left overs to a consignment shop or goodwill.
>>
>>5366796
>I had the "best" versions of the characters and just didn't need anymore figures.
>I am actually reaching that point with TFs.
So what are you going to do with them once you run out of figures to buy?
What happens to your collection then?
>>
>>5364889
1. Fuck the fanbase

Every fanbase will always have loud stupid fans. This is the reason I no longer post on any tf forums. The trolls on /tfg/ are more tolerable and I find people here far more decent.

2. Ignore the comics and series

I watched the movies and they're terrible.
I follow the comics and I cringe.
The current tv series is just too boring.
But why let them affect myself?

3. Focus on the toys you like

You don't have to be a completist.
Just buy what you like.

4. Befriend sane collectors

Not every tf fan is walky-tier.
I have geek friends who know all the lore of different franchises but they don't act smug or superior because of it.
If someone acts like it's sirius biznis, run.
>>
>>5364889

Leave for a few years. Or, take some distance. If you don't feel it, leave it altogether.

Don't do cold-turkey unless you're absolutely sure.

But if you ARE sure, then don't hesitate. If there is something in your life that doesn't make you happy and you don't actually need, cut that motherfucked out.
>>
File: 4fa.jpg (80 KB, 956x539) Image search: [Google]
4fa.jpg
80 KB, 956x539
>>5364889
I'm a bit of a hoarder, I grew up as one of those brats who wanted everything, all those toys from my childhood reside in a dirty spider infested shed.

These days the underside of my bed is full of unbuilt gundam models (approx 40+), I have titan metroplex parked infront of my 140 dvd tower which is over flowing, I even have more models and 20 amiibo stacked ontop of said metroplex.

I also have some of my better transformers scattered around my room and most of my deluxes are in a draw while all my mp's (currently 8) in my wardrobe blocking clothing space, other shit is there too (more figures and statue shit) but the boxes for mp starsaber and mp megatron (yes, that ugly cunt) take the most space, I've been trying to sell of my video game collectors editions as a result with gran turismo 5 signature edition next up.

I also don't follow the tf sites, well I do only by the news feed, I used to love the forum drama when I was a kid but now I'm so sick of it I just wait for the news I actually want, I'm a naturally argumentative person anyway so I'd end up banned pretty quickly anyways and I can't be fucked IP jumping like I used to, least here I can spout my shit and fuck off without a care in the world.

I still like the franchise, I do need to start limiting my little addictions (I'm starting to collect hotwheels too again) but I have money and a reason to have it all.

Because I can, and yes I live with my parents, but I also have a full time job, they don't want me renting so I pay their cheap board and live rather easily, its easier to put up with their bitching about packages coming in everyday than lectures about why renting is shit.

Now if you excuse me, I'm trying to find space to cram in an mp ultra magnus
>>
>>5365101
When men automatically speak to women in a patronising tone when talking about 'man things' because of the assumption that they don't know anything at all about it, because they are women.
>>
>I fucking loathe the fanbase

Why would any one give a damn about the fan base?
Not like you are forced to participate in forums first to buy anything from Hasbro.
>>
>>5364889
Personally, my personal toy community is not forums or social media types. But local toy enthusiasts whom I've made friends with. If you don't have such a support group and you're unable to collect for you personal sake, well, it'll save you a few bucks to take a hiatus.
>>
>>5367381

Basically this. I don't get why everyone seems to think they have to be a part of a Fandom to collect things. Curate your online experience better.
>>
>>5367381
Some people enjoy collecting more when they have people they can talk with about shared interests.
New things you got in, new releases, how the media surrounding it (series, movies, whatevs) is going, what others are doing.
For some that's an important and vital part to the hobby, just spending money and putting shit into your room is not enough for them.

I share that to a certain degree, it's just nicer when you have someone that understands your passion and shares it.
If the community is cancer though and you can't even ask a simply question without people losing their shit about some unimportant detail it gets annoying fast.
Add media that is horrible to consume and all that is left are the toys itself.
And sometimes that is just not enough.
>>
>>5367448
Adding to this, this anon is correct though >>5367446.
Not all places and people are shit, even in shitty fandoms.
Try to find a few people that share your views, enjoy collecting, aren't idiots and make your own small fandom circle.
It's less stressful, more fun and you get your community kick that way too.
>>
>>5364889

Quitting Transformers feels so good. Especially now. You see all those shitty $16 deluxes on the shelves and look at them like a gymnast looks at a bag of doritos.
>>
>>5367081

I display them, I take photos of them, some end up in storage but I cycle what is on display pretty regularly. I form up different teams or groups to set then up, that sort of thing.

I have posted pics of my stuff in display threads a few times. Last thread I had Red Family Room to Green Office to totes in the closet.
>>
I've been a Transformers fan for a while but I haven't been collecting that much because Hasbro isn't doing anything cool and different with the brand that much. I've been going back to collecting a lot more Star Wars stuff recently
>>
>>5367560
I think the headmasters next year seem cool.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.