[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do normies collect funko pop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 500x500
Why do normies collect funko pop?
>>
Because they're relatively cheap and cover a wide range of normalfag-centric franchises while still maintaining an overall consistent style that makes collecting and displaying them easy.
>>
I've asked my normie friends why they collect funko pop and keep them in the boxes. More than one have answered because of the collector value, hoping to resell later in the future.
Investing in toys.. Fucking idiots

But akin to us, they also enjoy the thrill of the hunt.
>>
>>5354275
It's close to why some people buy Amiibos without even using them

> they are "cute"
> kinda cheap
> shitton of series/movies/games/whatever have Funkos, incl. characters that never had merchandise before

The latter is especially true, some people are so desperate they even take a shitty Funko because the other option is to never have a figure of character X.

None of the people I know though keep them in the box, they really just get them because of the three mentioned points.
>>
>>5354280
Why are you friends with these people?
>>
>>5354283

Eh. 'Friends' was being generous. More like 'people from my work'
>>
>>5354280
Little do they know of market saturation. Gonna be beanie babies all over again.
>>
I have a friends that collects them MIB and just enjoys looking at them. Could be autistic or something, who knows.
He's given me a few for gifts. The Arthas that he got me was upside down in the box and he thought it was gonna be super valuable like that. He almost cried when I opened the box and took him out.
>>
File: 41c-PRxDY8L.jpg (22 KB, 315x500) Image search: [Google]
41c-PRxDY8L.jpg
22 KB, 315x500
I just really hate the style they do the chibi/SD look.

Mainly the solid circle eyes. They are okay for some, but not for all.

There are so many other figures that does the 2, 2.5 head units thing way better.
>>
>>5354282
At least some design effort goes into Amiibos. You're paying the same amount to Funko to get a reskin.
>>
>>5354319
I'm sure it's a branding thing. You see an accurate figure of a character, it's not immediately obvious which company made it. But you see the tell tale soulless eye discs of a Pop and you know exactly what it is.
>>
>>5354275
>Why do normies collect funko pop?

Because funko pop are nerd flavored normie garbage.
>>
>>5354324
Doesn't change though that for some people that's all they will probably ever get, thus they suck it up.

I personally think some of them are creepy as fuck because of the eyes, like the Trooper a different anon posted.
That just looks wrong and I honestly don't see the appeal with a lot of characters.

I'm also pretty sure part of their popularity comes through lootcrates and the like.
>>
>>5354275
Why do you think you're above anyone?
>>
>>5354345
Welcome to 4chan
>>
>>5354341
...Just got my LootCrate and it had an old man Solo
>>
File: hood niggas.jpg (96 KB, 960x942) Image search: [Google]
hood niggas.jpg
96 KB, 960x942
>>5354275
do you know when the street fighter funko pop comes out?
>>
>>5354275
The same reason they love the new Star Wars movie.
>>
>>5354275
Accessibility and trend following. Look at the range of figures in that photo; to get more conventional versions (i.e. 6" figures) of all those characters would involve actually researching no end of toy lines, manufactures etc. just to figure out what to look for, before you even get into actually trying to obtain for the figures themselves. Nobody's going to expend that much effort on something they only have a passing interest in anyway, but this way they can pick up a whole bunch every time they go to the comic store and feel like they're part of geek culture or whatever.
>>
>>5354275
>Why do normies collect funko pop?
because it's "not toy's its ART xD" so they wont look childish if they would buy it unlike when they will buy an Action Figure of the same character they have Funko for.
(my english is bad)

1) if they will buy toys with cartoon characters, it will be "aaaawkwaaaarrd". Only dorks do that.
2) if they will buy Funko Pop of the exact same character, it wont look childish and dorky because Funko is an artistic thing that is trending.

hope i answered your question my fellow 4chin user.
>>
>>5354413
Not that case for the most part
A huge chuck of POP are figures that have no other representation and the others are either very limited or poor quality (yes even to a funko stander) so you have a large market that will support it

Really that's it's staying power, it's pop culture focused
From 80's TV shows to the current ratings breaker everything can relate to fans and as such encourage the sale.

The argument "not toy's its art" is very out of date for the last 20 years. It's been really growing out culture and I wager in another 10 no one will give a fuck who is buying toys and who isn't.
Hell I think the last person that was confused I was buying toys for myself was a 70 year old cashier.
>>
>>5354275
> normies
> on /toy/
Cringe worthy
>>
>>5354405

>Le edgy neckbeard man
>>
>>5354405
They don't actually enjoy it and just want to be a part of the subculture?
>>
Really? I wasn't even aware this normie trivialization had come to collectibles to the point we need to hate specific popular toys so we can be cool and true to the source of the hobby.
I guess nothing is safe.
>>
Holy shit

How can you guys defend this saying they're 'cheap'?

It's not fucking cheap when these assholes get addicted and buy a fucking STRUCTURALLY SOUND WALL with them. Holy shit. That's over 2000 dollars worth of plastic shit in the OP pic.
>>
>>5354305
Except at least beanie babies had value at one point.
>>
>>5354469

No one is really defending that they're cheap.

There is a perceived cheapness to these figures, price-wise to the people who collect them. Really, they're shitty $10 knick-knacks that are completely static to the point that it doesn't really matter if people unbox them or leave them in the package. They basically serve the same purpose either way.

POPs are basically just a way for teeny-boppers and hipsters to have shit like Big Bang Theory, Dr. Who, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe all in one shitty, cancerous line.
>>
File: 1437604147150.jpg (64 KB, 640x383) Image search: [Google]
1437604147150.jpg
64 KB, 640x383
>>5354413
>1) if they will buy toys with cartoon characters, it will be "aaaawkwaaaarrd". Only dorks do that.
>There was someone in the Pop! thread who tried to defend their garbage by saying it was better than buying toys originally marketed to kids
Oh god you're right.
>>
>>5354464
Your first time on /toy/?
>>
>>5354604
>/toy/
>implying this doesn't happen apply to the entirety of 4chan.
>implying this doesn't apply to the internet as a whole
>>
>>5354464
>so we can be cool
Not sure where you get your reasoning, I hate specific popular toys because they are garbage, and because they bring garbage people and garbage ideas to the "table".
Who is going to think I'm cool for my hateful opinions? No one, because I post anonymously and therefore get no personal recognition from it.
So fuck you and your high horse, I bet you collect those shitty funko pops, you piece of human waste.
>>
>>5354708
Never bought a single one, faggy mcedgy. Wouldn't mind having one or two, if they are from characters I really like.
They are not even that poor of quality, they bring absolutely nothing to the table, the niches are untouched. High end collecting is makes a lot of money off of extreme quality for high prices. Popular simple urban toys have been around long before Funkos, just look at the fortune Kidrobot made from that market alone.
You're just a fat cunt that have little autistic triggers in your cesspool of a subconscient so you hate stuff without even realizing why.
>>
>>5354319
I remember another reason why I hate the style they use. Certain characters are pretty much unidentifiable if you take them out of the box and away from any name plates(do they all have those?). Like anyone with exposed face, hair and regular clothe like most TV characters.
>>
>>5354275
because being a nerd is fashion now.
its no longer about trying to have the looks but instead its about trying to prove your the most nerdy out of everyone around you.
this is the world we live in now
>>
It's weird how people on this board get mad at people for liking things they don't like.

>plastic statues of sexualized children are OK
>plastic statues of movie characters are nirmie shit
>>
>>5354981
/toy/ in a nutshell. They wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they can't put something else down to make themselves feel taller,
>>
>>5354993
It's more like they can't tolerate someone else liking stuff that they don't like. And if someone doesn't like what they like? Same intolerance.

It's basic elementary school behavior.
>>
>>5354993
Yes I'm sure that's totally not a behavior practiced by every online community ever.

Nobody like posers or tryhards.
>>
File: 1444108298918.gif (979 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
1444108298918.gif
979 KB, 500x200
>>5354464
Nope
>>
>>5355029
>posers or tryhards
i.e. "people who like things that I dislike"
>>
>>5354981
>>5354993
>>5355021
>>5355054
Have none of you people ever been on any other board? Or 4chan, for that matter?

Especially >>5354981 because anyone whose actually been here for more than a few days would know that plastic statues are ALL banned from /toy/, and the people who buy that pedo shit are openly mocked and bullied.

And shits sake, for a thread whose OP mocks people who collect pop figure this thread has actually been pretty civil, but apparently that somehow translates into /toy/ virulently hating pop in all its forms.

I know you guys are excited about your school holidays but how about you newfags actually try lurking, get some thicker skin and learn how things work here, otherwise fuck off, we're better off without you.

And if any of you say you aren't newfag, then frankly that just makes you an even worse pansyass.
>>
File: Fsjal.png (44 KB, 1018x1064) Image search: [Google]
Fsjal.png
44 KB, 1018x1064
literally this
>>
>>5355106
You seem confused and upset.
>>
File: 76465.jpg (25 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
76465.jpg
25 KB, 400x296
Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>5355299
Wew lad I'm happy I don't collect these,
>>
>>5355299
>Those problem glasses
>>
>>5355299
>Shitty meme toy
>Can't even get the fucking arms or expression right

It's like staring into an infinity of bad taste and failed execution.
>>
A coworker of mine buys them, he displays them out of the box though.
>>
I once saw a "lolsuchanerd" looking fucker while checking out a store, he had ordered a Funko Stormtrooper and was there to pick it up.

I couldn't believe my eyes.
>>
>>5355606
What gave him away?
>>
>>5354275
they think they're going to be the next beanie babies, not realizing that they're literally going to be worthless when the next "next beanie babies" hits the market.
>>
>>5355615
I'd say that they have a tiny bit of edge over beanie babies because they're actually licensed products, but the sheer amount of each of these they make pretty much kills that one factor dead in the water.
>>
File: funko-icey-stormtrooper-hikari.jpg (134 KB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
funko-icey-stormtrooper-hikari.jpg
134 KB, 600x340
What about this ones? Some of them have pretty retarded "artsy" colors. Pic related looks neat tho.
>>
File: bullmark.gif (48 KB, 280x257) Image search: [Google]
bullmark.gif
48 KB, 280x257
>>5355647
Not to defend those things, but the color variants of those figures are more based around retro asian vinyls, such as bullmark ultraman figures, which often had apeshit colors and paint jobs. It's less 'artsy' and more nostalgia.
>>
>>5355651
I actually kinda dug those figures, but some of them are crazy expensive on Mandarake.

THAT is some vinyl shit that people should have invested in.
>>
>>5354280
>But akin to us, they also enjoy the thrill of the hunt.
Speak for yourself. The hunt is miserable and wastes gas and money. I just want my fucking toys.
>>
This bitch i that works at Walmart with me collects them and scalps them. I work with her sister and she aaid ahe got like 60 bucks for one of those ugly things. She also keeps them MISB
>>
>>5355647
I have the Bossk hikari, it's awesome. It's the regular metallic colors, and I just really enjoy how it looks.
>>
I only have 5 of them, and that's mainly because they were gifts. They're at least characters I like, I guess and I have actual action figure versions of them.
>>
>>5355299
That's not the only one. They have all the fucking Disney Princesses with that.

>>5355344
They're just repaints. And because people who buy Pop will just eat up anything Funko throws at them, they don't do much.

>>5354981
>>5354993
>>5355021
>Assblasted Funkofags detected

Statues in general are openly hated here as well because they're not /toy/ material at all. And don't act so high and mighty, because the faggots in the Pop! general are the most snotty people on the board. Literally thinking they're above everyone because they don't collect animu dolls, despite the fact that Funko releases anime and waifu shit all the time.
>>
File: galactusmightymug.jpg (73 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
galactusmightymug.jpg
73 KB, 400x400
I like my galactus funko
>>
I think if forced I'd rather spend time with a funko collector than with a weeaboo sexy figure collector.
>>
>>5356347
I'd choose neither.
Good thing the range of collectors isn't down to just those 2 terrible stereotypes.
>>
>>5356247
>Assblasted Funkofags detected
I only buy Legos, anon. I just think it's funny that beta nerds constantly re-organize themselves into groups to maintain imaginary superiority over other beta nerds.
>>
>>5356351
>a normal person is as bad as a weeaboo
Yeah, no.
>>
>>5356363
You're starting to sound like you're a funko collector pretending he's not one
>>
>>5356364
Wasn't even me on that post, m8.
I already have some disgusting normalfags funko collector "friends" who sometimes I'm forced to interact with, and at least I can survive that for a few hours.
>>
>>5355299
please tell me this is just a fucking joke
>>
>>5354275
Is that maxmoefoe
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 540x960
Faggot
>>
>>5358904
Suicide girls are literal sluts who fake dress up for attention.
%80 of them are either legit tryhard piercing in the stupidest place or fake piercings.
>>
>>5358884
Yes.
>>
>>5358913
So 80% of them are either legit pierced or fake pierced? I think 100% of them are either one of those options.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.