[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1/6 action figures question. Do stock photos usually represent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: the boss.png (890 KB, 821x496) Image search: [Google]
the boss.png
890 KB, 821x496
1/6 action figures question.

Do stock photos usually represent an accurate depiction of what you're getting? Is the figure usually that realistic in person?

Picrelated. The one on the right is likely a bootleg (ebay hong kong seller) but I've never bought an expensive 1/6 before so I guess I'm worried that what you get in-person might look more like the right photo.

I'm thinking about buying the new 1/6 Ripley shipping out later this year but I don't want to spend $240 if it's not going to look like the stock photos.
>>
>>5721351
It depends on the complexity of the toy.
Mostly they differ in the end. Since the stockphotos are prototypes, from original companies or the thing copied.
If something is complexer the looking or paint job differs. Not necessarily, but mostly.
>>
A lot about how good the figures look like depends on the photography.
Of course photos made in a well lit studio by a pro look different than some photo taken by a phone in shitty light.
I'm also sure the one on the right is a bootleg.

I have a few 1/6 myself and some of them look out of the box pretty normal, as soon as I start taking pictures of them they "work" way better.

The MGS Hot Toys were pretty good (heh), but they are also older releases and Hot Toys are better nowadays.
If you are unsure about an already released figure just look for reviews.
Here's one of a pretty new HT for example:
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-060616a.htm

And here's one of The Boss and Naked: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_012014b.htm

Posing them is a bit of a pain in the ass because of the suits.
Naked is also the better looking of the two.
>>
>>5721366
>>5721405

Thanks for the info!
If I wanted to buy something like the OP pic that is sold out and has tons of fakes on eBay, how would I be able to tell if even a single one listed is genuine? U.S sellers could have bought theirs from China/HK eBay as well.
>>
>>5721417
It's difficult.
First, I'd try to check legit stores if they still have some in-stock (sometimes you are lucky).
BigBadToyStore has The Boss right now for example.

I'm not that much into HT and co., but there are threads on collector forums and people who post comparison pictures.
It's also the best place to ask if there's a bootleg of a figure already available.

As a sidenote: it's very common with 1/6 to split them and sell all parts separately.
Sucks when you just want a full-set.
>>
I have The Boss. Got her from BBTS on sale. They have frequent Hot Toys sales, but you gotta wait for a good one. Nabbed her for 130 which wasn't that bad.
>>
>>5721465
Oh sweet, so BBTS is legit? I think I might buy that then. I'm new so I'm not sure what online stores are most trusted for this.
Do you have any recommendations for active collectors forums?
>>
>>5721489
Yes, they are legit.

Regarding forums, try http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/forum.php or look for general 1/6 boards.
I'm only semi-active in a german one, but the 1/6 community is big enough that I'm sure you will find something suitable.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
Depends, but most recently I've never had an issue where the Proto doesn't look like he final product.

In fact, the Vader looks better in person
>>
>>5721744
What the fuck, I thought that was a child wearing cosplay at first.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>5721351
In my experience Naked Snake looks just like the promo pics
>>
File: MessengerApp_20160119_193328.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
MessengerApp_20160119_193328.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>5721351
well... with The Boss really didn't do well...
but any other hot toys is pretty neato.
Have a potatocam shot to show what its like compared to the promo pics
If anything they look better in real life
>>
File: MessengerApp_20160119_194631.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
MessengerApp_20160119_194631.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>5723409
and one of an iron man suit
>>
>>5721351
Those faces appear pretty identical to me. Yes the photos are not a 1:1 match of course, they are taken in completely different lighting, at different angles and with different focal length lenses, all of which will completely change the look of the face in the respective photo.
>>
>>5721351
Mythic legions are as accurate to the stock photos as you can get.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.