[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hua Yuan: McGuffin Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 10
File: Hua_Yuan_1st_Flash_and_Clear.png (676 KB, 700x595) Image search: [Google]
Hua_Yuan_1st_Flash_and_Clear.png
676 KB, 700x595
This is a thread to help further expand the fluff of the homeworld of the Hua Yuan 1st Exterminator Regiment, an IG regiment that /tg/ randomly rolled up using the 1d4chan creation tables, specifically things that can be used to run games of Dark Heresy, Rouge Trader, and Black Crusade.

Here's the regiment thus far: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hua_Yuan_Exterminators
And what little we have on the moon: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hua_Yuan

Taken from the Wiki:
>Hua Yuan is an Earth-sized Hive world, on the Eastern Fringe of the galaxy. It boasts an atmosphere comprised mostly of Neon and Kaihonium, a valuable gaseous element useful for several industrial processes. One of several moons of a large Gas Giant, Hua Yuan is geologically dead, however despite this, the moon boasts rich deposits of several different elements, including adamantine.

>The atmosphere of the planet is extremely turbulent, with lighting storms giving the planet's entire surface an ominous glow as the skies are split by orange lightning, and make human habitation of the planet's surface all but impossible. As a result the majority of the planet's surface remains untouched by the hand of man, but in the depths of the equatorial canyon a sprawling hive reaches deep beneath the surface, marked only by the towering spires of the superstructure of a long-wrecked spacecraft.

We've taken this and fluffed the world as three parts Kowloon, two parts Hong Kong, and ten parts Cyberpunk Necromunda. Descendants the crew of a gigantic mining vessel that crashed on an inhospitable planet and survived despite it all. This has lead to a severe division between the upper hive nobility, the mid hive working class, and the low hive gangers and scum, and much worse.

So feel free to join in and provide fluff, images or whatever you'd like. This belongs to /tg/

IMPORTANT: We're fluffing a WH40k TTRPG splat. Don't oversaturate the influences but do update the wiki with old stuff
>>
>>46121697
Reportan
>>
Last thread: >>46080380

And some discussion starters, as per usual.
>What NPC's do you feel are necessary to be established in the lore to make GMing easier?
>What BBEG's would a Hua Yuan campaign have?
>What kind of McGuffins does Hua Yuan have?
>What are some important locations you feel have to be present to run a campaign?
>What are some End Games that the various factions if Hua Yuan have? How do they work towards it? What will the do once they've won?
>What have YOU done to update the wiki?
>>
>>46122886
>>What have YOU done to update the wiki?
Fuck you Arbites
>>
>>46123380
<3

Surfing through the Successor Regiment page right now.

What is the wiki missing?
>>
>>46124048
Nothing from there, made sure of it.

I always bring it up, but the exterminators should have more about them on the wiki
>>
>>46124048
You throw anything up there recently?
>>
>>46125344
Some important locations, reformatting mostly
>>
>>46125407
My computer's on the frits, but I'll check out some older threads for smaller stuff
>>
Safety bump so I can party
>>
>>46125632
Shit nigga, that's why I've been missing these threads
>>
>>46122886
Oh mein nigga. its time.
>>
>>46122886
>What NPC's do you feel are necessary to be established in the lore to make GMing easier?
few.
I would like to tap into the "port town" mentality. Just about anything is available. Though, it depends on what tier of adventure you are running. Everything from local gangers and cultists, all the way to a political leader that is actually a gene-stealer. I suspect if we look at Hua Yuan culture the biggest chaos influence is going to either be tzeench or slaneesh, though perhaps in a cruel twist even to chaos their world is worthless.

>What kind of McGuffins does Hua Yuan have?

>What are some important locations you feel have to be present to run a campaign?
Hubs. we need hubs, bars, guilds, worksites/ construction sites, old/ abandoned hive areas, secret labs, industrial sectors, junkyards and surface wastelands. One thing we never talked about would be orbital facilities.

>What are some End Games that the various factions if Hua Yuan have? How do they work towards it? What will the do once they've won?
Nobility: Steal all the wealth and escape scott free. Possibly hitching a ride with a bastard rogue trader.
Gangs: Usurp control from nobility
tyranids: Escape planet.
Exterminators: Contain tyranids.

>What have YOU done to update the wiki?
I am scum. nothing has been done. I also am probably the biggest lurker here.
>>
>>46125632
>bump
Bump with a contribution or don't bump at all, don't fill the thread with trash. It's worse than shitposting.

>>46122886

Head of a Noble house- Screwing over the populace for personal gain, manipulating third parties against the Praetorians/other houses. Creating a coalition against the Praetorians, seeking independence from the empire while stirring up gangs as distraction.

Gang leader- Secretly uniting the gangs against the upper hives/government, taking over a large setion of the hive. "Escape from Newyork" vibe

High Cultist- normal cult stuff.

Corrupt high ranking officer- Screwing over the colony to advance himself to a better post offworld. Creating false flags to justify glorious victories in the underhive and remove meddlesome nobles.

Mutant/Unsanctioned psyker leading a revolt from the underhive, seeking vengeance against "pure" humans.
>>
>>46127803
If you're a big lurker, have anything you think should be added to the wiki that's been glossed over?
>>
>>46127990
Not that anon, But we never decided on who the actual Planetary Governor was, in a RT game it'd be important.

We had Xavier "something that means garden" Gordon and "not" Daniel Dravot, as depicted by sean connery in the man who would be king.

I'll dig up the thread that had them.
>>
>>46128212
Maybe a dual system, where we have a Yuanese leader and the Govener, or something
>>
>>46128286
>>46128212
The Praetorian that owns the joint, and the Noble with the biggest dick that actually runs it?
>>
>>46128212
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/45557612/#p45566849

Governor Xavier "Huawang" Gordon

>The Governor is sitting on a dense pile of chaos, some sectors of the underhive are constant warzones while others are under the constant threat of insurrection or totally lawless. Putting a retired genteel officer at the top gives the sense that the government isn't neglecting these areas or panicking about the situation, it's simply quite relaxed about how it controls the city. It's more inclined to let these issues resolve themselves, it culls the more troublesome groups and prunes back potentially larger threats, but Xavier "Yuanese" Gordon is accustomed to hellholes, he's seen far worse and is content with things as they are.

>The Praetorians are considered by many of upper noble houses to be an insult to their heritage, they see themselves as the rightful governors of Hua Yuan and abhor anyone meddling with their affairs. They consider him to be the source of much of this imperial interference, they deride him as an outsider and an upstart in a station above his birthright. A mere garden hand on the throne.
The lower houses approve of his work, they see the Praetorians as keeping the ambitions of the upper houses in check and appreciate his hands off approach to much of the hive. They consider the current state of things to be a small golden age, he's the king of the city while it's in bloom.
The middle hive will have a myriad of opinions depending on their affiliations. He has endeared himself to some of the commoners by adopting some of their customs, others see this as propoganda. Pro imperial citizens welcome his rule as a reforming influence on the city, while traditionalists are appalled at the way their culture is becoming a cheap marketing tool their way of life being prostituted to benefit the administration. The underhive either don't care, aren't aware of the happening of the upper hive or simply hate him as an authority figure.
>>
File: 1456103001477.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1456103001477.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>46128515
And Dravot:

>Sean Connery in space is the Head of the Praetorian occupation force, and he doesn't give a fuck, except when he's with local prostitutes, then he gives many fucks

>There you go, instant noble character and even that little bit has knock on effects. Technically he's the Governor, so if he's slacking off then the natives and non-IG Imperial Guard have more say on planetary policy. Where is he getting his fix? Is it a house of ill-repute controlled by a particular family, or is he cruising for rough trade? Are they camp followers for the Praetorians, or do they stay in one place? Can he be blackmailed? Is he already being blackmailed and by whom? Remember, it doesn't have to be the natives, could equally be an Imperial faction. It could even a particularly pragmatic Sister Superior.

>It also suggests ill discipline in his forces if their commanding officer can just go off from time to time. Do his officers have a problem with it? Are they looking for a solution, or do they turn a blind eye?

>He's more Scottish than Stuffy English and has a claymore made from a warrior claw.

>Remember, the Stormtrooper commanders are Praetorians that think that the Hua Yuanese do it better. The look like SAS operatives

>So, Lord Commander Dravot "Blackwind", Ex-Drookian Fenguard officer who transferred over to the Praetorians?

>It'd be cool to throw Carnehan in as one of his preferred captains as well.
>>
>>46128818
Shit, I should really finish that picture
>>
>>46128515
>>46128818
Good fucking work, guy. I'll try my best to do a write up in a more digestible way if no one does that before I get there
>>
>>46130251
In the original thread it wasn't clear which was the governor.

Should we stick Xavier in as the Praetorian Governor with Dravot as a Praetorian General over the Yuanese Military on Hua Yuan, or vice versa?

I'm leaning towards the former. Dravots temperament would explain a lot about the Hua Yuanese forces in general; Fight hard, Party hard. Whereas Xavier seems a saner choice to govern the mess of a hive.
>>
>>46130939
I think that makes sense, yeah.

I also feel like we should have someone to represent the natives in government, even if it's a token position
>>
File: Commissioner_Lin.jpg (289 KB, 2008x3479) Image search: [Google]
Commissioner_Lin.jpg
289 KB, 2008x3479
>>46131790
I keep on stealing shit from history, but a not!Lin Zexu should do nicely.

A well trained Administratum adept, versed in all the ins and outs of Hua Yuan, and in some ways a genius, but not at all prepared for what the Praetorians and other Imperial bodies will bring to the table, and thus kept from doing anything truly meaningful.
>>
>>46132330
I'll comment more tomorrow when I'm not so tired
>>
>>46122886

>BBEG
A corrupt native Adept who starts to usurp the status quo of Hua Yuan. Gang warfare kicks up a notch that resulted in a very public bombing of a minor noble from one of the upper houses. Cases where the infected genestealer organs are appearing in hive hospitals, the local Arbites barely containing the violence.
>>
Bump so I can recover from a hangover
>>
>>46132883
What's his endgame?
>>
>>46135704

Control. More chaos means more authority is given to the planetary governor and the Adeptus Arbites. And since he's also the boss of an up-and-coming gang, the violence is allowing him to take out the older gangs and their house sponsors.
>>
>>46121697
I was thinking about this planet. A few other little things that could happen.

The Gas giant they orbit could be the source of their atmosphere. Every now and then (100-200 years) particularly violent storms on the giant bathe Hua Yuan and other planets in gas which their gravity traps. This is not a pleasant time.

Also, Orbital facilities. Why not?
>>
>>46136834
Orbital facilities have been a thing since like the second or third thread.

Definitely fluff them out
>>
>>46136834
>>46137323
Are they military installations? Naval ports? A place for the really really rich to live? A place of study for xenos researchers, or people interested in the various minerals and gases of the planet?
>>
>>46138880
Yes
>>
>>46136834
I'm okay with deadly space aurora borealis storms
>>
>>46122886
>>What kind of McGuffins does Hua Yuan have?
probably some choke hold on the oxygen in the Hive, maybe a filtration system that can easily be held hostage or deactivated, virtually killing the Hive
>>
>>46142095
Maybe water production plant would work better
>>
>>46132330
Sounds fine to me. He needs a name and some decent backstory
>>
>>46141169
>>46136834
>>46137323
>>46138880
making it happen then.
>Gas storms. simple.
Approximately every 100-200 years, though on occasion as short as 50, a Gas flare will erupt from the gas giant of Hua Yuan. This gas is detrimental to the surface of the moon, but replentishes vital gas for exploitation that would otherwise have to be harvested by orbital mining facilities the locals cannot maintain. Due to the energetic nature of the storms and their chemical composition, if observed from space, or reinforced observation decks on the upper hive, one would be treated to a dramatic display of light an color. There are whispered rumors that during these storms the colors
are not wholly natural, and that half glimpses of the warp can be caught on the edges of ones field of view.
The most recent storm happened 75 years ago, but the emperor's tarrot indicates another comes soon.

>Orbital stations
Orbital stations are almost always in a geostationary lock with the dark side of Hua Yuan, perpetually avoiding the occasional wrath of the gas giant which would pluck them from their tenuous orbit. Most are amalgamations of debris, captured asteroids, derelict ships or other smaller stations that have clustered together over time. While the imperial navy and PDF lay no formal claim of ownership over an entire station, the facilities are often host to detachments of said groups. They are in many ways mirrors of their home planet in this regard, layered, cramped, haphazard, and highly populated.

If one station becomes too damaged to sustain itself a tug will often pull it towards another host station which will gradually absorb it. Occasionally a portion of a station will break off to begin the cycle of growth and decay once more. Stations will often have their own unique spin on the typical culture, dependent on their given situation. It is not uncommon to find entire sections of a station operating without proper gravity, life support or basic essentials.
>>
>>46145156
In the cold vacuum of space, many researchers will study things that would normally be circumspect in the hive. Small platforms will gradually be forgotten, and their secrets left to drift for generations.

Finally, the wealthy will often live in high above, in their own private and hedonistic communities.
>>
>>46145270
>>46145156
I'll throw it up on the wiki in about two minutes
>>
>>46145156
>>46145156
>I am hua yuan landfill idea guy by the way.
>Continuing to refine this concept.

AshigaruSchwarzkopf 4 was a minor forgeworld, making minor items. It's ruling magos one day began to unexpectedly receive semi-automated barges of salvage, war debris, and outright garbage. A few days later an explanation arrived in the form of a sealed one way missive from the Administratum. Cracking the void sealed adamatine tube a small bit of parchment spilled out, with an equally small message. Henceforth AshigaruSchwarzkopf 4 would assume the responsibility of examination and final disposition of his emperor's most sacred resources, grade D.

Two hundred years ago, the planetary fusion smelter on the industry world Jetsam 2 unexpectedly blew up, as did the planet with it. The Magos scoffed, a somewhat metallic expression, he had met the custodian of Jetsam 2 twice as long ago, and he was as much a fool then as he apparently was, well, no longer now. He had his own burdens and quotas to meet, with a planet not sufficiently configured for mass recycling. With a relatively small signal burst, the endless convoy of salvage barges began to correct their course to a new location. The resource depleted moon of Hua Yuan. He had efficiently concluded final disposition of all salvage sent to AshigaruSchwarzkopf 4, and this completed his responsibility. With that minor nuisance he returned to overseeing the production of imperial mess kit omni-utensils <sporks>.

The endless trickle of detritus began to impact onto the surface of Hua Yuan, an indeterminate time after all communication was lost with AshigaruSchwarzkopf 4 by the Imperium at large. It was unsure if the word was lost to a warp storm, or disaster, and few bothered to invesitagate why. It was noted by guardsmen that the standard omni-utensil had disappeared from their messkits though, and those in possession of such an implement were the envy of their compatriots.
>>
>>46146275
What the fuck am I reading.
>>
>>46146275
In the end the great spork shortage was alleviated by the introduction of a minor adaptation to the standard las gun maintenance kit, allowing the optical mounting spanner to serve the same purpose. Many noticed the slight oily taste imparted by the unguents left on the spanner due to its blessing at the various manufactoriums. Arguably this only improved the taste of field rations.
>>
>>46145156
Orbital stations are going to be very expensive to build and run. It might be worth emphasising that they're either Imperial ones built for specific purposes (and probably to a much higher standard) like communications arrays or Mechanicus facilities, or they're put up their by nobles who can either afford it as a vanity thing or as something related to their industry. (Like space docks for exclusive import/export rights). The Navy uses whatever they have to to refuel and resupply, while occasionally use the "native" ones that drift into busy shipping lanes as target practice.
>>
>>46146293
A suggestion that was never shot down, so I fleshed it out. tl/dr: Hua yuan gets a steady supply of garbage dumped on it's "far side". No one is really sure where it came from, but it does allow for a nice setting for adventure, resource exploitation, and plot devices. Orks? blame the garbage. More nids? Garbage. Need to secure a relic? Garbage. Want to revive an old derelict imperial cruiser? Garbage for components. or ship. It is a thing that can be ignored entirely, or used at will.

A major plot point I would use is that the tyranids on the planet have insufficent biomass to really do much other than threaten the population. The exterminators keep them in check. The nids are on a dead world, and want off to further spread. Exterminators are their jailers. Garbage has biomass in it on occasion. People need to periodically check garbage and ensure there is nothing there for the nids to use. However other things like gangers, mutants, and heretics may live in such a "shanty" town. Despite periodic orbital bombardment.

I lay no claim to ownership of this idea, just its creation, so feel free to prune, add on, or evolve it.
>>
>>46146445
Garbage on that scale isn't really something the Imperium has, at least not to the extent that dumping it on other planets is worthwhile. What would be the point? They don't care about pollution particularly, so dumping nearby is always available. Apart from that, almost everything the Imperium has lasts for centuries until it disintegrates, and even then the fragments of what's left just get recycled. The big exception is organic waste, and that gets shipped back to Agri-Worlds to try and keep them fertilised. They recycle their own dead and live in cobbled together ruins

Biomass also isn't really an issue for the tyranids if you assume they're eating the people (of which there's a shitload) and that its more of a genestealer level infect and spread operation rather than a "lets grow a carnifex army"
>>
>>46146445
Maybe if this was a super huge hive world that spanned the entire planet, another planet just for a garbage dump would make sense. Then there'd be too much to just recycle or reuse anyway.

But I think with Hua Yuan's size, any garbage dumped would just filter down to the underhive areas. That's what happens on Necromunda, and that's more or less our guideline for what all hives are like. Constantly shipping garbage offworld would be wasting precious air and fuel anyway.
>>
>>46146293
Garb dumps bro
>>
Bump, because I'm too ducking tired to contribute anything worthwhile
>>
>>46145156
>Orbital stations are almost always in a geostationary lock with the dark side of Hua Yuan.

I know 40k physics is wonky, but that is extremely broken.

You cannot have a geostationary lock with a non-stationary shadow. If it is matching Hua Yuans orbit to remain on the darkside of Hua Yuan it is stationary relative to Hua Yuan and will fall into the planet.

Cool idea, but you haven't thought it through. It'd be more 40ks style to risk the satellites, a few get wasted or damaged every fifty years, but people are cheap and the remains of the satellite can be recycled after impact.
>>
>>46127990
>>46128515
We need more writers for the wiki, I feel like there's only one guy that writes it and he sucks.
>>
Oh shit someone revived my Sean Connery in space, sweet.
>>
>>46152012
W-which part sucks

I didn't do any of the older stuff, but a lot of the newer stuff I did early in the morning
>>
>>46152012
are you referring to the faggotry or the wiki itself? The wiki seems to match the tone of 1d4chan
>>
>>46155090
There's probably some errors and clunky writting in the stuff I did, since I wrote most of it at night
>>
>>46153508
Theoretically I could finish the picture
>>
>>46132330
Well are we just borrowing the name for an expy or are we referencing history?

IIRC this guy probably had a hand in kickstarting the Opium Wars (which led to colonizing HK) because of his "drugs are bad mmkay" policy pissing off the Brits.

Working with the Brits is about the last thing he'd do
>>
>>46151327
I think he means "dark side" figuratively, relative to the planet rather than the sun, assuming Hua Yuan is a tide-locked moon. Which is much less broken.
>>
>>46158738
Sounds good to me
>>
Alright, what needs to be fixed on the wiki?

I think we need to restructure the Armoured Regiments and make a clear distinction between armoured and mechanized companies and elements within a Regiment and an actual Siege Regiment
>>
>>46160528
Honestly, I think it might make more sense restructuring the whole army so its a bit more conventional. At the moment its like the Exterminators are the main thing that everything else comes off of, when that can't really be the case and that's mainly a hangover from the first thread when it was just the one regiment on the entire planet that never left its homeworld.
>>
>>46160528
couldn't you just add a subsection on the armored section for mechanized units?

>>46160683
No
>>
>>46160683
The Exterminators are a small piece of of the Hua Yuanese military.

And trust me, how I've been pushing it is pretty conventional.
>>
>>46160866
Not going by the wiki they aren't

>Of the 1200 odd regiments that have been created on Hua Yuan, nearly one half of them are "Exterminator" regiments, specializing in their distinctive style of bright, loud, and up-close and personal combat. These are supported by some 250 Armored regiments, and 400 conventional guard units also trained from the firstborn of Hua Yuan.

>Whilst Hua Yuan specializes in training elite hive fighting Exterminator units, between requirements for more generalized forces, washouts from the Exterminators' intense training, and increased tithe demands, conventional Guard Regiments are also frequently raised and trained on Hua Yuan. Such regiments are generally seen as mediocre forces in comparison to the more specialized Exterminator units, are equipped with relatively poorly made local lasguns, and are the origin of the phrase "Hua Yuan lightshow."

IG units don't start as one and then have washouts to others, they all get raised as one for a purpose and are then sent out to die horribly or get good offworld.
>>
>>46160997
This is all very wrong and we've retconned it to shit.

Don't be smug
>>
>>46161127
What's it now? I can archiverat real quick
>>
>>46161225
Exterminators are veterans of other units, plucked out of their regiments of origin.

Only a quarter of Hua Yuan Regiments are Exterminators.
>>
>>46161562
>Only a quarter of Hua Yuan Regiments are Exterminators.
I've personally never been behind this
>>
>>46161562
How does that work though? Where are they even stationed? If I'm a veteran of wars against the Tau, what use am I being retasked to do closequarter bug hunting when I'm much more use murdering slitheads.

>>46161669
What's your preference?
>>
>>46161702
I think its fine with a nominal amount of exterminators. They're the only commodity the armed forces really have to offer of their own. Sure, hive cracking is all well and good, but its nothing that crazy
>>
File: Okrkhunter.png (157 KB, 627x400) Image search: [Google]
Okrkhunter.png
157 KB, 627x400
>>46161964
Yeah, but at that point why not just make it a nominal or ceremonial name for veteran companies?

In terms of commodities, being able to provide a metric shit-tonne of dudes is a very valuable quality. I'm not sure there are any IG armies have a specific "this is the one unit type that makes us important". Attilans maybe.

The nearest equivalent for Exterminators as they've been written about before is the Armageddon Ork Hunters - a small group of regiments raised for a specific purpose to fight a specific enemy in a specific environment. They just fight Tyranids rather than orks, and its in hives rather than jungles. There's nothing wrong with that. Ork hunters getting a reputation to match Catachans doesn't mean that the tankies in the Steel Legion are less important. Its a just different role, and you can be badass doing both.
http://web.archive.org/web/20021005160336/http://www.armageddon3.com/English/Campaign/Troops/OrkHuntersStory.html
>>
>>46161702
>How does that work though?
You show promise, you get pulled.

Like special forces selections but mandatory.

Why is this so hard?

>>46162153
Ricci? Fucking save us.
>>
>>46162153
Alright, okay. All I'm saying is that the exterminators are the only vastly unique aspect of these guards. Plenty of worlds churn out soldiers, but the exterminator's tactics and specialty are the standouts here
>>
We should just focus this thread on finalizing the wiki. We've lost all hype, it's time to put a bow on this present
>>
>>46165434
As far as I'm concerned, finish the exterminator section, add the section about the governor and the trash heap and orbital stations, maybe some extra shit, and we're good
>>
>>46165485
Agreed. To be honest its pretty much a finished product. I have seen a lot of heart ache, conflicting opinions, and very specific ideas on what WH40k is.

I have played the game, read many books, and played many videogames. Just about anything is possible, and realism is not very grounded. To the anon that wanted space stations that stayed behind Hua Yuan, its plausible if you imagine that the local stations are acually more like Semi mobile barges made from an amalgamation of all the crap you said. So sure. To the anon who said in the grim darkness a station is expendable, sure, it is.

ADB said it best. WH40k is a setting, not a coherent story.
>>
>>46163068
I really disagree. I can't think of one group out of all the fleshed out infantry IG armies there that has "hive assault" as their core tactic. There's definitely none that have the whole Kowloon culture thing going for them. The hive cracking on its own is pretty brilliant, and the horrible garish uniforms, trophy taking and constant low-grade crime, the use of going balls out on distracting lights and sounds in assaults and the massive amounts of drug use work really well as ways to make Hua Yuan armies distinct period. There’s nothing there that specifically says “tyranid hunters” to me.

I guess I just think going “these guys, who are specced for fighting tyranids, are the only major thing that comes out of Hua Yuan” is kind of lame. One of my best friends who plays 40k is a huge ork nut, it'd be really cool to play with a Hua Yuanese ork hunting army that isn't a second rate knockoff by the fluff.
>>
>>46165811
You're horribly mistaken.

Most Hua Yuanese have a certain affinity towards fighting the Tyranids because of their history, but Exterminator Regiments can have whatever trophies and preferred enemies they want.

The 1st are Tyranid hunters because of their battles with the Tyranids in their pre-history, where they gained their name. Remember, if the chips are down they WILL put entire hab blocks out of their misery to stop a brood, be it with bioweapons, chemical warfare, or good Ole flame.
>>
>>46166405
This nigga's got it
>>
>>46121697
What's the extent of the chinese influence?
>>
>>46167835
Pretty extensive, but pretty even handed. I'm not quite sure how to answer your question desu

>>46167800
Of course I do.
>>
What's left?
>>
>>46167940
Why do you post sometimes as anon and sometimes with the name?
>>
>>46169465
I'm pretty sure all trip fags here do that. For one it's less faggy when you go anon, two it's easy to forget or just not want to put your trip back in. Three, tripping is embarassing
>>
>>46169465
Because sometimes I like to not be a faggot.
>>
>>46169525
>>46169465

we all do it. sometimes I'm too busy sucking cock to change it back
>>
What's the easiest thing we can fix on the wiki?
>>
File: Leona_Bonaparte_h.jpg (85 KB, 600x483) Image search: [Google]
Leona_Bonaparte_h.jpg
85 KB, 600x483
>>46160528
Mechanized or armored regiments in the lore are basically just huge regiments of tanks meant for straight combat. Siege regiments are large, have a large amount of infantry, and lots of armor and artillery for the sake of a siege.
>>
>>46173782
Reread

Mechanized COMPANIES
>>
>>46173999
Agreed with companies. They have tanks, but their core is infantry. Given they're background, they'd be wasted as pure tankers and they'd waste the tanks they'd get.

They weren't even supposed to receive tanks, the administratum misfiled a request and sent them to Hua Yuan by accident. Emperor knows what the intended recipients got sent instead.
>>
>>46173999
Hey, you mentioned Armored Regiments too. Still, my mistake.

For companies, they'd probably just outfit their tanks as infantry support, or perhaps the rare anti-armor when they can't crack something easily. I wouldn't be surprised if they only had Malcadors (probably Defender and vanilla pattern) and Leman Russes (specifically the Exterminator, the Punisher, and maybe the Annihilator) that others would have mothballed, or something even lighter and crappier like a Ragnarok.

Really in most Hua Yuan regiments you'd probably only get some light mechanization for infantry transport and scouting.
>>
lurk mode off. newbie here I was pointed here to ask about regiment creation ( beside the obvious ) ex how do I flesh out a regiment.
>>
>>46174844
Use your imagination and make sure it doesn't get too stupid or too sue
>>
>>46174844
Pardon?
>>
>>46174844
If someone gets a solid idea, run with it. The less disagreement the better
>>
>>46173724
Put the crunch bellow the only war stats
>>
>>46181103
>>
>>46183591
>>
>>46172133
I feel ya more than you know
>>
>>46157406
Could provide some tension with praetorians, I guy at the top working actively against them
>>
>>46188864
>>
>>46168471
Not a whole lot. You can put up the stuff ITT
>>
Yo what did I miss?
>>
>>46193849
When were you last here?
>>
>>46193936
I've been lurking/posting in the previous threads on and off
>>
>>46194134
Well, we're just about done. Three or four or however many more things to add to the wiki and we're calling it finished

You can still share ideas, though. It's all cool
>>
>>46194277
Hmm fair enough, I guess what's left is porting the stuff we've got in the threads to the wiki pages then?

I'm not sure if I can still give new input, I'm not well-versed in 40k lore.
I could cobble together stuff using photoshop, at least (I can type in trad. Chinese, not so much simplified)
>>
>>46194398
Well, mostly porting over, but the exterminator regiments need some more cultural fluff, and plenty of shit could use Chinese names. Also, important figures and regiments would be much appreciate

In fact, everyone should come up with a notable regiment, with maybe a sentence or two of fluff. Just as a wanna to sign our project, in a way. Leave a personal, identifiable mark
>>
>>46194463
Or gang or notable place
>>
>>46194463
>plenty of shit could use Chinese names
Yeah I've been trying to translate the names into their Chinese equivalents, more or less.

It's actually rather difficult at times.

On a side note I also find it amusing that most of the Chinese names for characters you guys come up with only have 2 syllables, when most of our names have at least 3.
>>
>>46194550
HKanon has been the only one here with any actual knowledge about China, save maybe Ricci. The rest of us just google shit and go with whatever sounds right
>>
>>46194625
Cyrus here. I'm taking a Modern China course and sounding pretentious, but I do have books I can check. I just don't actually know any real culture aside from dessert not really being a thing.
>>
>>46195047
Ayy, shit, I wish I knew that earlier. Can you translate "neon fiend" for me?

Also, think about what I said about making a notable regiment
>>
>>46194625
Well yeah, I have a better grasp in culture since I actually live in the damn place.

I'd say Ricci covers the more historical aspects better than I do though, the last time I took Chinese History was back in secondary school, so I've forgotten quite a few details.
>>
>>46195047
>dessert not really being a thing
u wot m8

>>46195221
Hmmmm
炫光惡魔
It's not exactly accurate, but neon is translated to 霓虹 which doesn't quite sound as good
>>
>>46195603
Okay, fine, I got that one from a cookbook so it's probably not accurate. It said that there wasn't much in the way of traditional desserts like in the west, and most sweet foods were used as part of other meals or appetizers.
>>
File: DSC_07491.jpg (360 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_07491.jpg
360 KB, 1500x1000
>>46195710
More like what we call dessert aren't exactly stuff like cakes and puddings and whatnot.

There's a shitload of desserts you can get in HK, both Chinese, Western, and local flavour.

Pic related, it's made with mango, pomelo, sago, coconut milk, cream and sugar, and is an HK invention.
Not my thing personally, but if you're into mango then go right ahead.
>>
>>46195810
While we're at it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poon_choi

Might be interesting
>>
>>46195948
>>
>>46195948
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IadXx64mOm4
>>
>>46195810
Huh. Well, guess I shouldn't believe Martin Yan on everything then. Though the fact that it's not cake makes sense with what he said - traditional chinese stoves not having an oven or the like.
>>
>>46200954
Actually nowadays we do use ovens for say Chinese pastries and whatnot, but some other breads/cakes are made by steaming instead of baking.

Nevertheless, HKers have quite a sweet tooth.
>>
>>46199272
I like to imagine HKanon was the VA
>>
basically done bump
>>
>>46204965
open forum bump
>>
>>46206441
One more for the memories
>>
File: Kroot_Tyranid_Hunter_9510.jpg (317 KB, 1528x1536) Image search: [Google]
Kroot_Tyranid_Hunter_9510.jpg
317 KB, 1528x1536
I saw this guy a minute ago.

What kind of NPC can we get out of this?
>>
>>46209787
Kroot? Probably a group of kroot mercenaries who took after the exterminators after they saw them in battle, and now follow them around trying to fight
>>
>>46210049
Now that I think about it, while not technically a gang, if that idea's cool we can throw it in the notable gang section
>>
File: Kroot_Tyranid_Hunter_9500.jpg (150 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Kroot_Tyranid_Hunter_9500.jpg
150 KB, 1600x1067
>>46210049
Basically it's a Kroot conversion that has armor made from tyranids armor plates, a shield made of a warrior's skull and spears and knife made from tyranids blades.
>>
>>46210209
That's a really damn cool mini regardless
>>
>>46210049
Not bad idea
>>
>>46212262
>>
>>46209787
>>46210049
>>46210209
Maybe the Exterminator's Tau counterpart, Worthy opponent type vibes
>>
>>46215256
That's what I'm saying, a nice healthy rivalry
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRoWRZJCgio

all in favour of making this the regimental theme say aye
>>
>>46216262
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qFfybn_W8Ak

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d-TyTsdQLsw

These two all the way
>>
>>46216333
>>
>>46217460
>>
>>46216262
Apparently you dont know...the Armored forces already have their own theme song.

Utilizing extreme hive driving technique and differential breaking they squeeze every single bit of performance possible out of their tanks. By entering into a corner at high speed and then deliberately breaking traction, and then keeping the treads moving at a high speed during the slide, they can often "drift" around it, while maintaining momentum, enabling them to reach their targets quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU

>trollface
>>
>>46220700
>is reminded of that live-action film adaption of Initial D
>It's a HK movie with HK actors despite the original material being Japanese animu
>>
>>46220700
Initial D is top of the line motherfucker
>>
>>46220735
So Initial D style races in Hua Yuan canon?

Why i find the idea of Hua Yuanese drivers when they have to deliver supplies to the frontlines drifting their way trough hives so awesome?

Although is also pretty stupid. But it can be played for laughts as a unimportant sidenote.
>>
>>46222629
Hey, our late-night minibus drivers have been jokenly referred to as IRL Initial D so why the hell not.

Not just supplies, manpower as well. What, you get carsick? Too damn bad then, go find a bag to barf in.
>>
Holy shit, I'm finally done with the FOB write up. I'll post it later when I'm not at a library. What's next?
>>
>>46220700
>>
>>46223154
I'm working on brief notable battles/regiments, to give a little history.

also the faggotry production continues unabated in my word processor
>>
>>46223408
I'm going to do a small write up on those kroot post ITT then move on to cultural quirks of the exterminators
>>
>>46223477
>>46223408
Let the thread die and let's use the Talk page on the Exterminators page and just work on it on our free time.

I'll make a thread next week to see if everyone is chill with the changes
>>
>>46223477
Godspeed, get this fucking shit done
>>
>===FOBs and Firebases===
>An integral part of Exterminator doctrine is the use of forward operating bases (FOBs) to maintain forward momentum when clearing out a Hive. During the initial penetration of a hive and the ensuing firefights, numerous hab blocks will be leveled as part of collateral. This freshly created real estate is the perfect environment to set up a firebase, moving light armor and light artillery into position to secure a solid point of entry and exit that the Exterminators can operate out of. Whatever the Exterminator’s preference, however, an FOB can be anything, anywhere: a tunnel system, a rooftop, a corner candy store, just reinforce it a bit, set up patrols, and move in the equipment and you're set. Normally a Hive can't allow for a legitimate firebases in their current state, so it takes some “renovations” in order to have a fully functioning one, leading to numerous complaints from men all along the administrative ladder. The hive would be divided into stratum accordingly, removing citizens and setting up firebases that they can perform quick, surgical strikes from until an area is deemed pacified. Repeat process until the entire hive is cleansed of the Imperium’s enemies. The Exterminators are quick to set up a network of bases, the rear ones concentrated around the points of entry are for command, infirmaries, supply and respite. The forward bases get setup in preparation for the next push or in pacified areas to bring supply lines forward.
>>
>>46226850
>To that end, FOBs will be nothing more than staging areas with a communications company attached, parking spaces for supply transport units, and a lightly fortified command trailer. Everything will be made to be compacted down and moved ahead quickly to remain at pace with the troops advance. Medical units may be attached to these command elements, but are also forced to remain mobile, likely field surgery units set up to operate out Samaritans. Supply units follow immediately behind advancing troops, ready to prepare the next command/operations base as the AO is secured. In prolonged engagements,however, these firebases can be so ingrained and well fortified that they become permanent fixtures for enforcers and pdf’s once the Exterminators pull out and conflict ends.
>>
>>46226880
>The kind of operations performed out of the FOBs can be categorized in two: The Scythe and the Scalpel. When they set up a scythe, they are meant to sweep through a particular area, going block to block in the hopes of completely eliminating any enemy presence in their particular stratum. A scalpel is used when intelligence suggests high enemy concentration within a particular area, and perform surgical strikes to either secure points for other units, cut off the enemy forces and isolate them, or outright eliminate an enemy enclave. In either scenario, the operations rely on fast, heavy handed and carefully articulated plans to maximize surprise and confusion in the enemy ranks. They won’t occupy an operating base for too long, as holding a line can cause the theater to stagnate, and when Exterminators stagnate and lose momentum they begin to lose control of the AO. They like an AO to be just as chaotic as they need it to be, in ways they can manipulate. That or they want it nice and calm, or draw the enemy's attentions so they can surprise them, but a violent gridlock or a stagnating line is the last thing they want. The Line Infantry is virtually shit. They try to constantly be on the move in a strategic sense, constantly moving throughout a hive, setting up temporary bases in order to make sure nothing falls through the cracks as they progress.

switch this one with the last one
>>
>>46226898
>>46226880
>>46226850
Any thoughts?
>>
>>46216262
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZjqVnWBhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ZqN_VFhdo

>>46220700
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVPJNlP23E
>>
>>46227630
Seems good. Although i don't know what you mean with Samaritans. Is it a vehicle i don't know off or is it just a good willed person aiding the troops?
>>
>>46228184
Actually, I don't know myself. It was in a post I used from an earlier thread
>>
>>46227630
I don't really like the part about hab blocks being leveled. You'd think a mainly infantry force, that's used to fighting in the closed spaces of a Hive, would want plenty of cover instead of a levelled area. The idea of an FOB being a tunnel, rooftop, or candy store is a bit more pleasing - especially if it still becomes a permanent fixture of the hive, which is a little bit humorous.

I like the Scythe and the Scalpel, since both seem fitting with what sort of fights they would get into and how they would operate. The speed and heavyhandedness are also fitting, but don't forget to reference their preference for flashy lights and colors in a sort of shock and awe strategy. The idea of a lack of permanency and a preference for a non-stagnant, moving fight is a bit more pleasing than blowing out a more permanent FOB, so I personally think we should keep that over the FOB idea. They seem to be based more around hitting fast, hard, and constantly moving and getting shit done, not protracted assaults or sieges. This would especially make sense for Exterminators, because speed, a surprising offensive and knocking holes in the Tyranid neural net would be their best plan against. They seem to go for a 'best defense is good offense' policy.

And calling the Line Infantry shit is confusing, since infantry seems to be the Hua Yuan bread and butter. They should be fast-moving, hard-hitting, and able to keep fighting on despite heavy casualties, only calling in armor or artillery when they need heavier firepower - you gotta be good to keep moving fast, and you can't afford to wait around for the enemy to reconsolidate.

Maybe someone should check a book on Chinese tactics to see if we can work some of those in.
>>
>>46228306
>And calling the Line Infantry shit is confusing, since infantry seems to be the Hua Yuan bread and butter.

>Such regiments are generally seen as mediocre forces in comparison to the more specialized Exterminator units, are equipped with relatively poorly made local lasguns, and are the origin of the phrase "Hua Yuan lightshow."
>>
>>46228306
The part about it being leveled is mostly for the hive cracking, places shelled out and left barren. I'll include some more flashiness, thanks for that

I'm gonna tackle tactics next more hopefully, give some idea how to play these guys
>>
>>46228306
>I don't really like the part about hab blocks being leveled. You'd think a mainly infantry force, that's used to fighting in the closed spaces of a Hive, would want plenty of cover instead of a levelled area. The idea of an FOB being a tunnel, rooftop, or candy store is a bit more pleasing - especially if it still becomes a permanent fixture of the hive, which is a little bit humorous.
It's so they can set up firebases and effectively claim an area, and move in those undisciplined Line Infantry fucks and armour.

>>46228306
>Maybe someone should check a book on Chinese tactics to see if we can work some of those in.
Try Brazilian Favela SWAT and Chinese Special Forces. And Swedish ravers
>>
>>46228306
>And calling the Line Infantry shit is confusing, since infantry seems to be the Hua Yuan bread and butter. They should be fast-moving, hard-hitting, and able to keep fighting on despite heavy casualties, only calling in armor or artillery when they need heavier firepower - you gotta be good to keep moving fast, and you can't afford to wait around for the enemy to reconsolidate.

You just described the Exterminators

Line infantry are generic infantry but not that great because they have worse gear and their best guys are pulled into the Exterminators, Think Cadian tactics but not as good at it for the Line infantry.
>>
>>46228306
>Maybe someone should check a book on Chinese tactics to see if we can work some of those in.
As cliche as it sounds, Sun Tzu
>>
>>46228853
>SWAT
One thing that Shanghai does have is that they had the world's first modern SWAT team with a book talking about the history of it.
Not sure on any modern documentation of tactics, but theres still that.
Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.