[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: Strahd.png (760 KB, 900x592) Image search: [Google]
Strahd.png
760 KB, 900x592
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>We're not mentioning the discord server on purpose because it sucks edition
>>
>>46262757
>Based Edition

It's even got that new thread smell.
>>
>>46262757
So what exactly is the discord server? I've heard it mentioned here but I've never bothered visiting the site.

Also, I have a general thread question. What is your main "role" in your group, or main group if you play in multiple groups? Does your group tend to mix up who plays what role in a party a lot or does everyone tend to stick in a similar role in each campaign? In my groups, though I mix it up from time to time, I generally find myself taking up the tanky melee role. I've played a lot of fighters and clerics, and recently picked up paladin because I actually like how they made paladins in 5e. Even my casters I try to make a bit more tanky than some of my other tablemates.
>>
>>46262833

I personally just make a character and fit in with whatever role is left over. For example, in the first 5e campaign I played in, I rolled a paladin of vengeance, and ended up being the party's face (because I was the only one with a set of ethics or a reasonable goal and a decent charisma) and the party's healer (because no one else rolled anything that could actually heal). In the second campaign I made a monk, and ended up being the main source of damage since I could attack things more than once.

In both cases I made my character based on an idea rather than a set of stats, and in both cases I essentially led the party through the campaign. That monk was basically made as a psychotic bitch, a woman who loved nothing more than the heat of combat, and somehow I still led the campaign along sheerly through the strength of roleplaying as an actual person rather than a set of stats. I'm beginning to think my group is incapable of actual roleplay
>>
>>46262833
I usually wait or ask everyone else what role they want to fill, then build around what we lack most.

99% of the time I am some kind of tank. One time I just went with whatever and we had a team full of blasters (I was a Sorcerer. Worked out about as you'd expect, went really really well...until it didn't and ended quickly and violently)

Had an Assassin once back in 4e and still ended up taking an option which let me get some defending in. Feels kinda natural now I guess
>>
File: 1342638054989.jpg (270 KB, 580x461) Image search: [Google]
1342638054989.jpg
270 KB, 580x461
>>46262833
DM.

I've literally never been a player.
>>
>>46262969

Anon, speaking as a fellow foreverDM, you play the single most important role of any roleplay party. You are the arbiter of their fun, you are the singular force that ensures the party is satisfied. Without you, they are literally nothing.

Believe me, I'd rather be a player, but even as DM I still find fun in bringing enjoyment to others. Seeing them walk away from a session with a smile on their faces brings me joy beyond measure. For once in my cold, miserable life I feel as though I've brought happiness to another person, and for that I am glad.

But man would I love to play as a character again
>>
Reminder that there are four suits of full plate armor that do not wither upon removal and are perfectly usable by PCs as armor on the second floor of Death House.
>>
>>46263140
Is that written in the book or is nothing specified in general on those suits of armor? Also don't you have to get full plate made specifically for yourself?
>>
So I noticed Curse of Strahd has a large amount of NPC's that can be cured from some ailment through a casting of Greater Restoration.

The problem I see is that it is a 5th level spell, meaning the PCs don't get it until level 9, near the end of the adventure. Long after these NPCs ate relevant.

Should I just hand out scrolls of Greater Restoration amongst the treasures?
>>
File: DisciplesOfOuterGods.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DisciplesOfOuterGods.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I finished making some Homebrew for Warlock patrons based on the Cthulhu Mythos (since you already have a generic "Great Old Ones" patron in the PHB, making ones for the actual Mythos deities seemed appropriate, especially when my campaign setting has cultists worshipping eldritch horrors as major antagonistic force). I also included a cleric domain I made earlier which is also thematically related.

I've got no idea how broken any of this stuff really is since I mostly did it based on what seems cool, so I'd appreciate any feedback that I could use to make approriate changes to balance it.
>>
>>46263195
Enjoyed being sued.
>>
In Barovia, what's it like being a souled child to soulless parents? Conversely, what's it like trying to raise a child with a soul?
>>
>>46263200
Cthulhu Mythos is public domain, man. The big guy himself gets mentioned as one of the possible patrons for GOOlocks and actually gets statted in PF (sadly he doesn't just eat 1d4 adventurers per turn).
>>
>>46263140
>>46263161
Depends on your DM
>>
>>46263200

>being sued
>over characters which legally fall under public domain

Yeah, I don't think so anon.
>>
>>46263195
This is excellent. I had never considered separate spells depending on which Great Old One a warlock follows. Very inventive!
>>
File: Barovian Parenting.png (149 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
Barovian Parenting.png
149 KB, 317x475
>>46263221
You'd need a book like this.
>>
>>46263195
Nyarko extended spell list is kind of hard to use if there's invocations that have at-will options. But then again allows for Bestow Curse without a long rest.
>>
File: NJgOtTo.jpg (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
NJgOtTo.jpg
84 KB, 500x500
>mfw Barovian sunlight doesn't count as direct sunlight
>mfw duergar and drow pcs are drawback free
>>
>>46263581

You know , aside from the vast majority of Barovians being xenophobic pricks to anything non-human.
>>
File: 1365100231961.gif (939 KB, 180x155) Image search: [Google]
1365100231961.gif
939 KB, 180x155
>>46262833
Forever DM.

I actually like it.
>>
>>46263617
So in the same boat as the tieflings and dragonborn and gnomes and halflings and elves and dwarves and aarakocra and goliaths and genasi?
>>
Thinking of playing a Dhampir cleric of death. This he helps put restless spirits to peace. Despises undead I mean views them as abomonations.
>>
>>46263746
>Is Undead
>Hates the undead
>Is a Cleric
>Of death
>Dhampir

Look, there's no such thing as bad wrong fun, but fuck you.
>>
>>46263772
???
>>
Are there any good home-brew feats?

Also homeruling some existing feats:

Grappler and Tavern Brawler require either 13 STR or DEX with the higher stat being applied for damage rolls.

Those with the Grappler feats get to do their Athletics (Grapple) Checks with either STR or DEX.

Tavern Brawler stacks with MA so a lvl 1 monk with Tavern Brawler deals 2d4 Damage per unarmed strike for example.
>>
>>46263791
>Dhampir are half-vampires
>Vampires are undead
>Death domain is the Evil Necromancy domain
Your character has 0 reason to hate the undead without hating himself. You're either a retard, or just like playing "oh so tormented" special snowflake characters. Probably both.

But hey, you do you.
>>
>>46262833
DM.
Back when I was a player I was the wizard controller who abused broken spells but did it in a way that made the rest of the team feel important.
>>
>>46263856
I'm no they mention right there in the Cleric domains that death domain doesn't means evil necromancer/liche wannabe.
>>
>>46263200
Lovecraft's been dead for almost 70 years, anon. It's all public domain.
>>
>>46263878

And yet, all their abilities are related to necromancy and necrotic damage. Their domain spells are all about killing, sapping lifeforce, and raising the dead. They get to twin-cast necromancy cantrips, and later 1-5th level spells. The deal necrotic damage and ignore necrotic resistance.

If you want to make an anti-undead cleric, play a Light Domain cleric, and maybe don't also be undead yourself.
>>
>>46262833
Either I'm the DM or I'm the guy who runs with an absolutely retarded character concept. I think I should start trying out more cut and dry character archetypes instead of making Jojo warlocks and barbarian vase merchants.
>>
File: 53OeLoo[1].png (24 KB, 282x238) Image search: [Google]
53OeLoo[1].png
24 KB, 282x238
What is the point of this when light is a cantrip?
>>
>>46264044
Light only lasts 1 hour, Continual Flame lasts until dispelled.
>>
>>46262833
First time player long time DM. My role is know everyones classes and rules better than them and helping them bullshit their way out of a killer DM.
>>
>>46264044
When you're a powerful archmage who is setting up your castle/tower/crypt/whatever, you need the illumination to last for centuries, and this is your only option.
Think of it as a similar spell to Guards and Wards.

Also, if you cast Continual Flame with a 3rd-level slot, you'll permanently be immune to magical darkness.
>>
>>46263171
Allow a wider range of madness cures like remove curse lesser restoration lay on hands etc
>>
>>46263140
Not this shit again.
>>
>>46263140
Honestly that's fine by me. Death House is very dangerous anyways, they deserve a bit of a reward.
>>
>Just got level 7 on EK
Are there any decent level 2 evocation or abjuration spells worth taking? I was thinking of just taking protection from evil and good because it's a ravenloft game
>>
>>46263772
It's mentioned Dhampir are often vampire hunters in a kind of self-loathing type of way. It's a very Blade meets teenager who hates his mom's new boyfriend and refuses to be tied down by your labels, dude, race.

Death domain is not the same as Necromancy. Plenty of people worship death and death gods without being evil, it's a pretty big part of being alive after all. In fact, it can give all the more reason for a cleric to seek out and put down necromantic magic that isn't sanctioned by their god/the clergy.
>>
>>46264266
Darkness is pretty good for dealing with archers as a melee.
Next level you can get a spell from any school, so be sure to get Mirror Image.
>>
>>46264288
>5e Death domain
>In the DMG
>In section "Villainous Character Options"
>Meant to embody the "villainous archetype: the evil high priest"
>Domain spells include Animated Dead, Blight, and Cloudkill
>1st level domain ability specifically enhances Necromancy cantrips

Yeah, no. Death domain is capital E Evil necromancy. Welcome to 5e, bitch.

Also,
>Implying lore for an unofficial race means jack shit
>>
How would you fluff a Devotion Paladin / Undying Warlock? (Not Undying Light)
>>
File: dogesolier.jpg (146 KB, 1023x1092) Image search: [Google]
dogesolier.jpg
146 KB, 1023x1092
>>46263140

>mfw the PC's are too fucking paranoid to put them on.

Feels good man.
>>
>>46264367
On the other hand, it's entirely possible to play a Good-aligned cleric of a Neutral death deity. Sure, you wouldn't be getting the most out of the class, mechanically, but it could lead to some good roleplaying. He knows his god is a grim reaper of all, but he sees it as his duty to provide the mortal perspective that his god can't really get.
>>
File: kelemvor.png (61 KB, 1040x29) Image search: [Google]
kelemvor.png
61 KB, 1040x29
>>46264367
>>
File: confusedwizard.jpg (46 KB, 435x571) Image search: [Google]
confusedwizard.jpg
46 KB, 435x571
Can someone explain to me how an arcane focus works with a Arcane Focus? I looked up the wording in the PHB in the spells section and I'm still sort of confused.
Let's say, for level 9 spell imprisonment, it says
> a vellum depiction or a carved statuette in the likeness of the target, and a special component that varies according to the version of the spell you choose, worth at least 500 gp per Hit Die of the target

Do I need to have those components beforehand to cast it even with the arcane focus? And, if so, are they still consumed even with the arcane focus?
>>
>>46264367
>not reading your own sources
The PHB literally lists multiple non-evil gods of death. Additionally, it states:
>A number of other deities, mostly evil ones, suggest the Death domain, which is detailed in the Dungeon Master's Guide. Most clerics who choose this domain are evil NPCs, but if you want to worship a god of death, consult your Dungeon Master.
Non-evil gods of death
>Kelemvor
>Wee Jas
>Blood of Vol
>Anubis
>Nephthys
>>
>>46264446
>how a arcane focus works with a arcane focus
fuck
obviously meant materials, my bad
>>
>>46264436
This what I intended all things must end death isn't evil it just is
>>
>>46264367
You are wrong. There are Neutral deities of death.

I personally hate Dhampir. I wouldn't include them as an option but you sure seem mad at someone having wrong fun in a different game, whilst being wrong about stuff that is laid out black and white in the books.
>>
>>46264447
>Blood of Vol
>Not evil
I don't give a shit what the PHB might say, that's bullshit.

>>46264440
Clerics of Kelemvor get their own version of the domain for AL.
>>
>>46264446
Arcane Focus replaces materials that have no cost. You need anything that does.
>>
>>46264367
If you wanted to play a non-evil death domain cleric, I'd say the Raven Queen is definitely the most fun. But in 5E there is no Death domain that isn't focused around necromancy and raising the dead and all that garbage, which would get you smited by the Raven Queen in about 5 seconds flat.
>>
>>46264474
>Yeah, no. Death domain is capital E Evil necromancy. Welcome to 5e, bitch.
>I don't give a shit what the PHB might say
W E W
E
W
>>
>>46264446
>>46264456
If a cost is indicated, you need it around to cast the spell.
If it is also detailed that it is consumed, only then you consume the materials.
>>
>>46264474
what is the difference between dmg death domain and AL death domain?
>>
>>46263200
>Enjoy being sued
>for using something you can easily find in your local library

okay kid.
>>
>>46264029
Nah senpai those characters are so much fun, I play the same way. Why play a boring man-at-arms when you can play a washed out carpenter drunk who is only proficient in broken bottles, bar stools, and woodworking?
>>
>>46264474
>"Am I so out of touch? No. It's the PHB that is wrong."
>>
>>46264474
No-one cares about your homebrew interpretations.
>>
>>46264542
>>46264538
>Implying a religion of atheists, death fetishists, necromancers, and a cabal of liches is anything other than evil
>>
>>46264566
>atheists
>necromancers
>evil
They're literally just magic nerds.
>>
How do y'all feel about "Natural 20 counts as 25 for contested skill checks" as a house rule? I'm running a game for people who are used to crit successes on skill checks but I'd like to go a little more RAI than that.
>>
>>46264601
It's not bad I suppose. Is a natural 1 equal to -5?
>>
>>46264601
RAW crits don't exist for skill checks. That seems fine.
>>
>>46264405
Every man has a breaking point, some Paladins don't wish to admit it. In your search for everlasting justice and truth, you unravelled a secret that was buried in death and decay long ago, an ancient being from the war with the gods, it knew instantly how to break you and although you tried to resist, you eventually succumb and made a deal with this powerful being. You gave up the most precious thing you had in order to continue your fight for Justice. In return you are branded with this beings power and knowledge, and the undead you fought so hard to destroy, now treat you as one of their own. (hope this helps)
>>
>>46264566
>religion of atheists
That doesn't make sense. Even the Athar in Planescape are technically just monotheists in a world where polytheism is the norm.
>>
>>46264601
That sounds alright -- it's a good way to make a 20 mean something special for a skill check without making it into a just a crit success.
>>
So DM's, in what way are you a bit of a devious cunt?

For example I constantly encourage Multi classing so spell casters never get access to wish. I just dont want to deal with that level of shenaniganry.
>>
>>46265369
I just ban Wish.
>>
File: Mordenkainen.jpg (340 KB, 1143x1600) Image search: [Google]
Mordenkainen.jpg
340 KB, 1143x1600
/5eg/, can you hook me up with some good wizard artwork? Preferably in battle stances, wizards that look decked out in various knickknacks and little magical items are perfect as well, although any good wizard art work will do. Looking for things in the vain of Mordenkainen style wizards
>>
Is it possible to cast a 'Touch' range spell using Mage Hand?
>>
>>46265520
no
>>
>>46265151
You do realize that there are real life religions that don't recognize the existence of any gods, right?
>>
File: 1398543864126.gif (3 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1398543864126.gif
3 MB, 480x320
>be me, generic human fighter 2h weapon user
>level 4, party at the end of a dungeon
>final boss is a cambion and two assassin type minions
>this guy is built up as a big opponent who we will struggle against
>halfling muscle wizard and bladelock dragonborn companions take on the minions, I charge at the cambion
>fight drags out for many rounds, I deal huge amounts of damage and take about 3/4 of my health
>cambion attempts to barge my aside and flee
>takes a strength test, natural 20
>cambion takes his remaining hp in damage
>mfw I killed a cambion by choke slamming him into the ground and shattering his spine on impact

Today was a good day.
>>
>>46265804
natural 20's for skill check/ability check are not auto pass or "crit success"
>>
>>46265856
They might be at his table, chucklenuts. It's a really common houserule.
>>
>>46265856
Yeah, but if a fighter, who probably has high strength, crits there's a high chance he probably beat whatever the monster got.
>>
>>46265856
>what is a houserule
or alternatively
>wrongbadfun
>>
>>46265856
Cambion has +4 strength
A level 4 human fighter usually has +4 strength
Cambion cant roll above 24 therefore fighter wins the contest
>>
on a scale from 1 to 10, how viable is playing a brawler/improvised weapon fighter

note that the dm sides on the line of fluff and interesting characters rather than mechanical optimistion
>>
>>46265888
>if a fighter crits
But you can't crit skill checks, we must covered that. And if he could crit, why would it matter what his modifier was?
>>
>>46266022
I was just using it as shorthand for rolling a 20 in that context.
>>
>>46266011
I would suggest considering Minotaur as your race ; their 1d10 damage horns means that you can use a shield and an empty hand and still be able to fight effectively. Plus, Advantage on Shove checks and various ways to shove things as a bonus action helps with the feel of it.
>>
>>46266048
That's quite confusing in a discussion about whether you can crit skill checks or not.
>>
>>46266011
About as viable as they are in real life. Better than the guy who grabs nothing in a brawl, not better than the dude who grabs three feet of sharpened metal.
>>
>>46266051
DM's already vetoed minotaurs as well as most of the UA stuff.

>>46266073
Fair does
What if I went Paladin for divine fisting?
>>
>>46266011
Eh, possible. Work better as a barbarian, and make more sense in terms of fluff too.
>>
So I'm developing some enemies that use Positive ENergy as a weapon. Like, summoning energy from the Positive Plane to overload someone to the point of killing them with positive energy. At first the target would just think they're being healed, but they start taking too much energy until it kills them unless they stop it.

What would be a good mechanic to do for an attack like this?
>>
>>46266094
Pala-punches work and you'll at least be making up for the small damage die with smites.
>>
>>46266112
I'm not sure that's how "positive energy" works, is it?
>>
>>46266188
If you enter the positive energy plane, it actually over-heals you to the point of killing you. I wanted to make some enemies that weaponized that idea.
>>
How would the people of Barovia react to PCs of other races? My CoS party consists of two humans, an elf (me), and a dwarf, and from what I can gather from reading online about Barovia:
>Population in Barovia is 98% Human, 1% Half-Vistani, and 1% Other
>From Domains of Dread (AD&D): The race of dwarves is perhaps the rarest of all the demihuman kin in Ravenloft. One of the major concentrations of dwarves known to exist on the Demiplane of Dread is the city of Tempe Falls in Necropolis. Other isolated dwarven communities might exist, especially in the mountainous regions of the Core, but none of these has over one hundred members.
>Ravenloft Campaign World (Known during 2nd Edition): There are no known elves native to the dark domains. The majority of elves found in the demiplane live in the domain of Sithicus and are originally from Krynn

Is this all just old obsolete retconed fluff or does it still hold true? I'd imagine if it is still the case then there might be some fun and interesting RP to be had with non-human PCs.
>>
File: 1440859533634.jpg (76 KB, 750x663) Image search: [Google]
1440859533634.jpg
76 KB, 750x663
Guys, I used to play a lot of v3.5 ( when i had friends ) and i want to start playing again. Should i learn 5ED or Pathfinder?
>>
>>46266315
5e
>>
File: rTWDmuc.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
rTWDmuc.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>46265448

>posts Wayne Reynolds
>>
>>46266315
Pathfinder is pretty much improved 3.5 so if you liked that you might prefer pathfinder. If you're looking for something less rules-heavy to start off with, then go with 5e.

Personally, I used to play lots 3.5 and, while I was skeptical at first, I think 5e is much better. I highly recommend at least trying it.
>>
>>46264071
Sure, but it's a cantrip
>>
>Magic weapons work instead of silver/adamantine
Has anyone ever actually had to fight a monster with silvered or adamantine weapons, or do you normally just have magic weapons by then?
>>
>>46266442
Ok. 5ED then.
Did they completely fucking destroy Forgotten Realm's lore again?
>>
>>46266500
If anything, they seem to have backpedalled a little from the wrecking of stuff they did on 4th. There hasn't really been major changed to FR in 5th edition, which makes sense since they want it to feel more like older editions.
>>
>>46266204
The positive planes is the outermost plane, right? I feel like the energy/power/whatever required to draw the energy from that plane to use as a weapon could be far more easily used, surely?
>>
>>46264044

Continual Flame doesn't specify any sizes or conditions for the object. Cast it on a tongue piercing and get a torch you can turn on and off at will and advantage on perform and intimidate checks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxuEtL7gxoM
>>
File: chosen_pink.jpg (236 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
chosen_pink.jpg
236 KB, 675x900
>>46266621
No, the Positive Energy Plane is one of the inner planes, along with the Negative Energy Plane and the various elemental, quasi-elemental, and para-elemental planes.

Or Scarytown and the Fagwild, or whatever fucking shit they kept from 4e for some reason.
>>
>>46266022
Its just shorthand for saying "rolled a natural 20" Jeez old man, get with the last 2 decades.
>>
>>46266500

>implying that FR wasn't better off with 4E's changes

Getting rid of all the snowflake drow, and shitting on Elminster/Mystra faggotry was the best thing that ever happened to the setting.
>>
>>46266750
>Making the drow always evil forever because we need a monster race due to our inability to write compelling villain is good

Removing the dev PC playground was good. The red wizards as a trading guild was good. The rest was dumb.
>>
>>46262757
Any tips for a newbie DM whos gonna run PotA?
>>
Honestly on a setting level I've never cared much for the default setting; the only reason I warmed up to FR is BG and NWN, otherwise I'm going to stick to the homebrew world I've been building since I started dming.
>>
File: how to dm.jpg (1 MB, 1235x2892) Image search: [Google]
how to dm.jpg
1 MB, 1235x2892
>>46267080
read the module, get familiar with it.
be fair, be consistent
don't be a dick
the party can and will fuck with your plans
its not railroading if they don't notice
>>
>>46262833
Started /tg/ shit with CoC, and the guy who introduced me to it is still forever-DM for that game (and also now my roommate). I was always the party face, mostly because I ended up as they guy with the most social power in the group. First character was a senator, most recent (who died in our last session) was FBI-Vimes.

Now I'm forever-DM for 5e, though my roommate wants to DM a small game on the side, so I rolled up a monk... who it looks like will be the party face. C'est la vie.
>>
File: VDjTCkH.jpg (415 KB, 2203x2937) Image search: [Google]
VDjTCkH.jpg
415 KB, 2203x2937
>>46266671
Sure looks like an Outer Plane to me.
>>
>>46267453
Is that 4e's version of the wheel?

>Energy are outermost planes
But muh quasi elementals
>>
>>46263195
Just skimming over it, I really like Nyarly. Strikes a nice balance between, well, balance and flavor.

Yog-Sothoth seems slightly OP though.
>>
>>46266112
http://www.lomion.de/cmm/xagya.php
>>
File: olivier_ledroit_demon.jpg (338 KB, 1519x781) Image search: [Google]
olivier_ledroit_demon.jpg
338 KB, 1519x781
My players have sometimes pointed out my railroading. This is understandable, I think I do it more than they point out. However, this gave me an idea.

What if the people living in the world I run are also sick of railroading?

What if the goal of the BBEG is to use some kind of "random, chaos element" to subvert fate? me, the DM, being the literal "fate" in this case.

As a DM I try to fudge things to prevent the players from dying. Take that as you will, but from the perspective of the BBEG I can see how that would be frustrating.

What could the BBEG's strategy?
>>
>>46266235
Anyone?
>>
>>46267691
The actual population numbers are imo too low.

Also 2E's fluff definitely goes straight up for "if you play demihuman, chances are some people are going to be straight up racists". I'd say that Barovia specifically would probably be borderline like setting foot in the Witcher's northern kingdoms.
>>
>>46267509
>Just skimming over it, I really like Nyarly. Strikes a nice balance between, well, balance and flavor.
That's the only one who's abilities I didn't write myself. Some anon suggested them because I was out of ideas, and I just edited them slightly (like adding the "can only be used once before resting" on them). Was somewhat unsure whether I should have changed the illusion bonuses to enchantment since most of the extended spells you get are enchantment (most of the flavorful illusion spells were already in the standard warlock spell list), but decided to just keep it that way (both are about as fluffy anyway).

What exactly should I change in Yog-Sothot? I'm assuming the "not-teleport" schenanigance since that seems like it could be potentially abused.
>>
>>46267620
Divination Wizard turned Lich out to become a meta Vecna-esque god of the mechanics of the game.
>>
>>46267503
It's from the 5e rulebook, because we're in the 5E thread. Read the fucking book, idiot.
>>
>>46267750
Mainly the changing proficiency thing is my issue. I'd probably just let the player have an extra skill of their choice. If you're dead set on changing them, I would definitely remove the ability to double one you already have. That's just too much for 1st-level.
>>
>>46263848
Those are both awful additions.
>>
>>46267780
Mechanically, how would you think he would do this?
>>
>>46267961
I'll remove the double proficiency bonus part. But I think I'll keept the part about being able to switch the extra skill you get proficiency in, as it seems more interesting than just "choose one extra skill to get proficiency in".

Won't bother reuploading the pdf, but I have a version on pastebin (http://pastebin.com/jr1hAXKU), along with my other stuff, that I keep up to date.

Any opinion on the Shub-Niggurath stuff? That one is probably the most "unusual" so I don't really have much idea on how it works. Well, the 10th level ability is just a copy of Necromancy Wizard's 10th level ability because it seemed fitting enough and was less of a hassle than trying to port in 3.X-style regeneration or something.
Also the minion you can summon is probably actually better than the Ranger animal companion I based it on despite not scaling with your level, but that's mostly because Ranger animal companion is unbelieveably shitty (seriously, you have to use your only action every turn if you actually want it to do anything, including attacking the enemy that's trying to kill it).
>>
>>46268334
Well if he's self-aware he would have a million monsters and items under his control that impose disadvantage and whatnot, know when to save his Divination rolls to impose upon the players, etc etc. Have a bunch of contingency plans for saving himself.
>>
>>46264474
>>46264566
The Blood of Vol isn't an evil religion. It's basically a pro undead form of Gnosticism. A lot of it's church leadership has been subverted by evil outside forces and it has a terrorist offshoot (the Emerald Claw,) but the religion itself isn't evil.
>>
>>46264566
>implying gnosticism is atheism
Coming to the conclusion that gods are inherently evil =/= atheism. It's wholly possible to believe in divine entities and to decide they're unworthy of worship.

There are rl ethical arguments regarding whether the hierarchy of religion isn't merely a projection of world hierarchies.
>>
Could anyone post that rules reference sheet that had stuff like all the actions you could take in combat and things like that on it?
>>
File: 1445717055666.jpg (244 KB, 700x725) Image search: [Google]
1445717055666.jpg
244 KB, 700x725
>>46262757
>We're not mentioning the discord server on purpose because it sucks edition

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>46267726
>never played any Witcher games
>don't know what the northern kingdoms are like
>>
>>46263140
Good?

I let my players start with whatever non-magic gear they want anyways.
>>
File: woah.jpg (819 KB, 1500x2250) Image search: [Google]
woah.jpg
819 KB, 1500x2250
Must-have spells/cantrips for a level 9-10 Abjuration wizard?
Must have spells/cantrips for a level 9-10 Enchantment Wizard?
>>
>>46267453
You can't take illustrations of the planes literally. The planes don't exists in 2 or 3 dimensions.

Although, looking at the text, 5e doesn't refer to the energy planes as being outer or inner. And there's no real mention of the para- and quasi-elemental planes, except for a map in the dmg showing the relationship between the material, parallel and inner planes, which labels the border areas where the inner planes touch as the planes of magma, ash, ooze and ice.
>>
>>46268955
Imagine medieval eastern Europe if there had been a way to objectively, 100% know that someone is a jew.
>>
Ok so i just came up with an idea for a future PC
>Aarakocra magic user that is obessed with pheonixes, due to some possible heritage ties - think the Caesar line's link to Venus, and is trying to achieve the power that they have.
Would a sorcerer or wizard be better for this? 5e btw

I'll aim for him to basically become a Lich, when he dies he burns to ashes and then regenerates - but with fire
Feel free to use the idea
>>
So I'm making this magical weapon intended for a bard.

It'll be a +1 rapier that on a hit, lets the bard expend a Bardic Inspiration die to lower the target's AC for 1 round, once per long rest.
Still on the fence on a couple of things:
1. Should it be the number rolled on the die or half, rounded up?
2. To avoid its use against Legendary creatures, I'm considering having a Constitution save for creatures with natural armor. What should the DC be? I think either a set one of 13 or 10 + the wielder's proficiency bonus.
3. Since it should be usable by non-bards as well, it'll give one Bardic Inspiration die (A d6) to any character that attunes to it, that can be used only for that property. In that case, should the rapier give one extra die to the bard to the bard as well or have him use one of his own?

Opinions?
>>
>>46269120
Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, whatever your heart desires.
>>
>>46269256
I feel like refluffing the storm sorcerer as a fire sorcerer would fit that pretty nicely.
>>
>>46269230
Looking at their penis?
>>
>>46269321
Yeah, i looked at the pdf - sounds good.
But assuming my DM is lazy and just wants things in the books; would a Evocation Wizard that only uses Fire/Wind/Lightning work just as well?
>>
How balanced is Satire Bard for someone taking it to 20? Still too good?
>>
>>46269385
People don't walk with their dick flopping in the air. Hiding ears or the fact that you're 4'6 all the time is a lot trickier.

Also some christian sects still practiced circumcision.
>>
>>46269659
The only thing really over-the-top about it is Tumble, since it does so much as a single bonus action.
>>
>>46269718
Okay. I've got a player who wants to build a dedicated caster and right now he's hovering between Lore and Satire. Which is his best bet?
>>
>>46269755
lore. it gets you more spells.
>>
>>46269321
>>46269452
Well now i'm stuck between a Transmutation Wizard and that modified Storm Sorcerer

shit
>>
>>46269716
Right, but why wouldn't mobs just surround suspected Jews and pants them?
> If Jew, lynch or do whatever you were gonna do.
> If not a Jew, just a prank bro!
>>
>>46269814
Because, as I said, some orthodox churches practice it on a religious basis.

More importantly I didn't mean it was clearly 100% identical, I mean it's the analogy. If you had actual non-human races and actual witches in late-medieval or reformation Europe, it's pretty much what you could have expected.
>>
>>46269879
> some orthodox churches practice it on a religious basis

Stop cutting your dicks, yo.
>>
File: Desire to know more.jpg (39 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
Desire to know more.jpg
39 KB, 640x512
I'm new to 5e and I'm looking at the PHB. From what I can tell Champion Fighters don't really have any interesting combat options compared to Battle Masters and Eldritch Knights.

Am I missing something or is the only thing that Champions do is make normal attacks, admittedly very effective ones? That sounds boring as shit.
>>
>>46270373

>Fighters are boring

There, all fixed.
>>
>>46270373
yep.
>>
>>46270422
this

but I like being boring, i'm reliable and full of hitpoints, my group can always rely on me
>>
>>46270373
Yeah, champion's main value isn't in being interesting, it's in being a very reliable Cuisinart with a few skills.
>>
>>46270373
Champion is great for multiclassing, IMO.
>>
>>46270593
Why is that?
>>
>>46268713
discord 5egs aint that bad
>>
>>46270617
Extra crits synergies with a bunch of different classes.

Barbarians get multiple bonuses to crits - you want to do it more.

Paladins can burn up their higher smites when they crit to be devestating - you want to do it more.

Rogues rely on a single attack to deal butt-tons of damage, criticals are devastating - you want to do it more.
>>
>>46270617
Level three gets you basic fighter abilities (weapon and armor profs, second wind, action surge, and a fighting style) plus another face on a d20 (and that face is typically on the opposite side of the die, which I believe is nice) that causes double damage. If your class does weapon damage at least 75% of the time, this is a nice level dip. Plus d10 HD.
>>
>>46270708
Monks are weak as fuck, so you'll want to multiclass out as soon as possible.
>>
Is this thread still alive? What do you folks think of my homebrew class? I still have to work out paths and path features, but this is what I've got so far, tell me what you think!
http://pastebin.com/VrV0903J
>>
>>46270711
>>46270708
So you're saying main a different martial class and dip for 3 levels of Champion Fighter?
>>
>>46270763
That would be effective, yes. All Champion is still fine, but can be kind of dull.
>>
Hey... anyone happends to have a Vornheim: The Complete City Kit download handy?

Thanks
>>
>>46270758
Dumb as fuck. The features are bland and uninteresting. The HD is too low. The proficiencies are blatantly wrong for what the class seems to be designed for. Only a nigger would play this class.
>>
>>46270711
I would argue that Champion isn't as good a 3 level dip as some other archetypes.

For instance, critting on a 19 instead of a 20 means you deal two attacks' worth of damage on a 19 instead of 1 - or, in other words, you deal an additional attack's worth of damage for every 20 you make (discounting static bonuses for simplicity).

Compare this with the Battle Master: supposing you only ever use Precision Attack (and that your DM is reasonable and tell you when it will actually make a difference ), that's 4 attacks every short rest that hit when they would otherwise have missed - which effectively means 4 more attacks' worth of damage per short rest.

In other words, all other things being equal, the Battle Master would deal more damage as long as less than 80 attack are being made per short rest.
>>
File: thanks.jpg (21 KB, 369x368) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
21 KB, 369x368
>>46270810
Oh.
>>
>>46270758
I don't usually give feedback to this sort of stuff, but the first guy that responded to you was an ass.

So, first off, you have two major saving throws. That's a no-no. Chose WIS and a minor or CON and a minor, you can give them the other one later on in the class progression.

Both Gyres probably need a hypothetical max. Especially the AC gyre. One that scales with level, presumably.

Yeah, essentially you need some sort of maximum that scales are you progress along the class. You might want to give them a couple of non-gyre related stuff too. Ribbons and stuff, utility.
>>
>>46270843
This is true only presuming the only dice in effect in the weapon dice - smites, sneak attack damage, extra crit die, cantrip-based damage all affect this.
>>
>46266649
Back in D&D...

(Before this was renamed from Continual Light because D&D is now written who learned about fantasy from people who learned about fantasy from D&D, and original now isn't "fantasy enough for them".)

... a similar tactic was to cast it on a copper (hey, a use for a copper!), then cover it in boot black or clay. If you ever need a light, wipe it off or break the clay. You can carry a ton of these, and you can throw them anywhere you need them. There is no reason to be without light.
>>
>>46270890
>>46270861
> the first guy that responded to you was an ass

Jokes on you, I didn't open the link.
>>
File: (judgemental stare).jpg (56 KB, 517x572) Image search: [Google]
(judgemental stare).jpg
56 KB, 517x572
>>46270932
>shenanigans
>>
>>46270963
Back when you picked your spells and that was it, you had to be creative with them. It didn't break anything because they were limited. We didn't have cantrips that assured we were always useful, we just had to plan.
>>
>>46270758
>>46270890
I'd like to add on to this other anon's point that, while stacking damage bonuses is fine (up to a point), stacking AC bonuses is definitely not. Bounded accuracy means that even a +1 to AC is pretty potent, to say nothing of an indefinitely-stacking bonus.

Perhaps damage reduction would be a better fit for a defensive ability that builds up over time.

Also, define a time limit, or just state that the stances can only be used in combat, to prevent players walking around spinning their blades for forever and a half before entering combat.

>>46270969
He meant that all classes get one 'strong' save and one 'weak' save, so to speak.

Con, Wis and Dex are the saves which are targeted more frequently and (I think) have the more potent monster abilities associated with them, and are targeted more frequently. Int, Str and Cha are less often targeted, and generally have less powerful conditions tied to them.
>>
>>46270969
Yes, they do. But they get a MAJOR proficiency and a MINOR one.

The MAJOR ones are:
WIS
CON
DEX

The rest are MINOR, they come off less often and are usually less deadly.

Some classes give access to others later on, you could do this. Rangers get one later, Rogues get one as well and Monks eventually get proficiency in them all.
>>
>>46271005
>Also, define a time limit, or just state that the stances can only be used in combat, to prevent players walking around spinning their blades for forever and a half before entering combat.

The limiting factor is that the Gyre Knight has to maintain what essentially amounts to Concentration, only with Wisdom instead of Constitution, or their Gyre fails, and they have to start over from the beginning.
>>
>>46271005
Yeah, going off Anon's suggestion if you used that you could have the same scale for both.

The offensive GYRE allows you one more damage, the defensive reduces any damage by one, going up as you go along.

You do need to set up a maximum and it'll probably be kind of low - 10, perhaps, at high levels.

Maybe more since you made it CON-reliant, but I'm not sure that's a great design choice. Blade-song and Rage, similar abilities, aren't CON requirement. Maybe look at them and think of similar requirements.
>>
>>46270932
>tfw
continual light was a god tier spell and I have really fond memories as a kid of one of my first magical items being a coin of continual light.

(The other two were, iirc, a short sword +2 that I think my brother copied from the whistling sword in BG, and a lapis lazuli ring that happened to work as a compass)
>>
>>46271068
Yes, but nothing prevents the Gyre Knight from spinning his sword for five minutes out of combat before they douse the campfire and entering combat with 100 AC. The concentration check is only made when he takes an enemy attack.
>>
>>46271086
>You do need to set up a maximum and it'll probably be kind of low - 10, perhaps, at high levels.
If this limit existed, a Gyre Knight would still have successfully maintain their Gyre for 10 rounds before reaching it, or 5 rounds at 14th level.
>>
>>46271127
Good point. Adding this specification.
>>
>>46271154
What about the 10th level ability? Although I suppose using that you'd want a correct multiple for the 6-round ability to work meaning... 36.

Hooof. A damage reduction of 36 and additional damage of that level is... a lot.

If you get rid of quickening spyral, you could get that down to 18 in 6 rounds which seems more reasonable.
>>
>>46271154
Nonetheless, there needs to be some kind of limit, whether time-based or what have you, to prevent the corner cases where the ability breaks the system's bounded accuracy.

Sure, most combats only last perhaps 5 rounds at maximum, but there will inevitably be a situation where, for instance, the players decide to kite an otherwise unkillable boss for 100 rounds just to be able to finally get the kill on him.
>>
>>46271267
This brings to my attention another point: Does the bonus double INSTEAD of increasing by one, double BEFORE increasing by one, or double AFTER increasing by one? This affects the balance quite a bit in the first couple of rounds (which will basically be the entire combat most of the time anyway).
>>
For my campaign I've been thinking about significantly slowing down level ups past level 3-4; it kind of makes sense to me that specialization would come relatively soon (I might still slow it down a little), and I also want people to get their first feat early enough to feel good about it.

OTOH I kinda want to do a slow and steady progression and have a feel more like BG without necessarily hardcapping at level 10.

Would quadrupling XP requirements above level 5 work, or would it be overboard is what I'm wondering.
>>
>>46271267
Perhaps I should make Quickening Spiral the 20th level capstone instead?

>>46271285
Does 12 sound like a reasonable hard cap for the bonus?
>>
>>46271352
I'd actually say you might want to remove Quickening Spiral entirely, as it becomes pretty useless if you have a low cap for your bonus. If you have no cap, it's potentially pretty overpowered, and would probably work for a capstone.

And I'd say the bonus cap should scale with level, actually. I'm not sure how exactly it should scale - that would depend on exactly what bonuses you're giving. 12 sounds fine for high levels if you're having damage and damage reduction. Perhaps have it as twice proficiency bonus, or else just give it its own progression.
>>
>>46271334
I intended for the bonus to double after. For instance, if you successfully maintain a gyre for 3 rounds, your bonus jumps from 3 to 6.

Also, after reading everyone's feedback, it's obvious that a bonus to AC is quite overpowered, but I don't want to replace it with damage reduction, as the class is meant to be evasive, rather than tanking hits to the face.

I'm considering having the evasion gyre, instead of granting an AC bonus, grant the Gyre Knight a dodge ability that can be used as a reaction, requiring a saving throw. The bonus to the roll the Gyre Knight would make for this saving throw would increase as time went on instead.
>>
Homebrewing unique races for my setting, I'm trying to make them have good abilities.

One of the races is just humans that basically were sold magical enhancements.

They basically get the array of 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15 for their ability scores, but they give up all ability score increases after that and they also don't get feats or hit die on those levels. Soooooo, is that still too broken? I want it to be a race you pick if you want to be op shit at early levels.
>>
>>46271462
That sounds good for any multiclass build, but massively overpowered at low levels.
>>
>>46271487

Well, the idea is they're really powerful, but cannot get any more powerful.
>>
>>46271435
I'd say you should work out exactly how you want this mechanic to work, and we can give comments after you're done, I suppose. It's difficult to imagine how a saving throw-based defense would affect gameplay without solid numbers, because there really isn't anything existing to compare it to.

Though now I think of it, you probably want to have an idea of what the paths and other features of the class will be, because those will also have a pretty large effect on the class' overall balance.
>>
>>46271435
Maybe give them dice for every round they spin2win. They can expend them to add a bonus to AC/remove damage for that round.
At high levels they increase in number like all the other dice.
>>
>>46271462
>>46271514
>I want it to be a race you pick if you want to be op shit at early levels.

You've more or less achieved your goal, I suppose, though I can't see why you would WANT to deliberately fuck with the mechanical balance of the game in that way.
>>
>>46271435
Maybe have the defensive gyre be disadvantage to attack instead? The max of the damage gyre being the usages you have, or perhaps a different pool to scale. That would also simulate an evasive nature.
>>
>>46271617
I don't want to merely make it a flat, static bonus, as part of the class's theme is that these gyres start out weak, but improve the longer they are maintained, building up over time.
>>
>>46270797
check OSR general
>>
>>46271559
Hell, if you want to do the getting stronger and stronger, you could have a set pool of dice but the size of the dice changes depending on how long the spin.

That might be.... confusing to lay out, but it could work.
>>
>>46271005
>Bounded accuracy means that even a +1 to AC is pretty potent, to say nothing of an indefinitely-stacking bonus.
I've found AC bonuses to be kind of a bitch to get right, especially compared to the values you used to have in 3.PF (where +1AC was much smaller deal). Not really helped by there no longer being DR in the rules, so +AC is just about the only defensive boost there is. It's one of those things that doesn't immediately appear to be OP, but might easily turn out to be.

I'm still not entirely sure if giving one of the specializations of a class I made +AC at certain levels, with a total of +5 at level 20 is too strong or not. It's a lot, but for a class that can only wear light armour and has no spells (in that spec at least), and the spec is designed to be the "melee damage/tank" one.
>>
>>46271716
You know, if the damage reduction mechanic doesn't sit well with you because it seems like tanking the attack, I'd like to note that hit points are explicitly stated not to purely be a measure of health, but also willpower, endurance and luck.

Similar to the Battle Master's Parry Maneuver, you could simply say that, despite not taking any direct hits, you become ever so slightly more exhausted from each attack you turn aside.
>>
>>46271765
>no longer being DR in the rules
Not explicitly, though there is precedent in such places as the Heavy Armor Mastery feat and the Battle Master's Parry.

>+AC at certain levels, with a total of +5 at level 20 is too strong or not
It is, unless you specify it to not stack with other sources of AC, such as Mage Armor from Magic Initiate, or Unarmored Mastery from multiclassing. Consider just explicitly giving the class another means of AC calculation.
>>
>>46271768
I was just about to suggest that. Plus combo it with >>46271559, and it represents the Gyre's spin being slightly altered by the attack they deflected, causing them to to have to expend more energy to fix it.
>>
I've been binging on Powerwolf and now I want to see if it's possible to make a Werewolf cleric who purges evil with extreme prejudice, DEUS VULT style.

Character theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFGFzJsxeOY
>>
>>46271351
Personally, I'd recommend ditching XP and telling the players when they level up, but that's just the way I do it.

I wouldn't recommend tinkering with the amount of XP creatures and roleplay gives, nor the mount of XP required to level up, because it's too transparent. Your players will feel their progression slowing down, unlike in the first case, where they're used to being given levels at arbitrary moments.
>>
>>46270373
Champion is made for actual retards who are trying to play an RPG.
>>
>>46272093
That actually makes sense. And the fewer numbers to manage the happier I am.
>>
>>46271831
It's a bigger problem than that, because maintaining a gyre relies on the gyre knight not being hit. The idea is that, by level 7, a gyre knight will be in their evasive gyre for a couple rounds, maintaining it by avoiding being hit, and then switch to their offensive gyre, swapping out their evasion for a damage bonus.
>>
>>46272179
As written, it is maintained by not taking excessive damage. Damage reduction helps with this.

There is, as far as I can think of, no way to write a scaling defense mechanic that alters the chance to hit without breaking the game's mechanics, because the system is balanced around NOT having ludicrous amounts of static bonuses.
>>
>>46262833

I'm almost always the primary dps and secondary healer/buffer because I almost always can't resist playing paladin, because it's my favorite class this go-around.

Seriously, I need to be forced to play some other class if I'm not going to be paladin.
>>
>>46263636
Isn't shaving cream fucking flammable?
>>
>>46263200
As the others said, The Cthulhu Mythos is all public domain now, but I don't think it used to be back in the 80s and TSR had a run in with whoever owned the rights to it. If I'm wrong, I can't quite remember the specifics. I know it was some Cthulhu related thing they were in hot water about, but what wasn't TSR in hot water about during their time huh? I love them and wish they were still around.
>>
>>46272543
Lovecraft's writings are all public domain, but the rights to make him into a game might lie with Chaosium. Not sure about that though.
>>
>>46272543
Yeah, some old Deities and Demigods book had profiles for some Mythos entities, like Yog-Sothot and Nyarlathotep.
I think they ran into problems with the publisher of the CoC RPG, although I'm not entirely sure what the issue was (had they been given the license to write Cthulhu stuff, or were they just suing TSR on the basis that they did Cthulhu in an RPG first).
>>
So I'm DMing HotDQ and there's a fight where the party has to run off an adult blue dragon by either critting it or dealing a set amount of damage. This encounter should take a few turns and be downright scary for the party. Naturally, my group does it in one turn with some of the luckiest rolls I've ever seen. This after they considered burning down a building they were explicitly told not to burn down. I love this game.
>>
>>46272735
You speak as though such occurrences are unique to 5e.
>>
>>46272712

I learned about it a while back from a friend that was into D&D in the 80s, the guy could basically be my father, and he's the one that told me about it. I think it was as you stated it, but I'm not sure wether D&D won the lawsuit or not.

Either way, this is technically off-topic.
>>
How's this party comp for OOTA?

>Goliath Ancients Paladin
>Undecided Arcane Rogue
>Forest Gnome Illusionist Wizard
>Abyssal Tiefling GOO Warlock
>Aquatic Half-Elf Lore Bard
>>
>>46272260
How does this sound?
For as long as this Gyre is active, you gain a dodge ability. This ability enables you to make a reaction when you would otherwise take damage. When you make this reaction, you must make a saving throw equal to 10 or half the damage you took, whichever is higher. For every round you maintain this Gyre, you gain a bonus of +1 to the roll you make on this saving throw. Additionally, for ever round you maintain this Gyre, the amount of reactions you can make per round to use this dodge ability increases by 1.
>>
>>46273339
with two classes capable of healing, maybe it won't be such an issue, but not having a dedicated healer scares me. The paladin should prioritize smites and the bard can find better things to use his spells on other than cure wounds. Other than the paladin, you're also kind of lacking in the melee department, but I guess that's more preference really.
>>
>>46273396
Bard's already got Healing Word and will be taking Aura of Vitality at level 6.
I've played without dedicated healers before and it wasn't that bad. With good controllers you can prevent damage so you have to heal less.
>>
>>46273363
Just realized the wording on this is hella wonky.
Fixed:
Unwinding Gyre: For as long as this Gyre is active, you gain a dodge ability. This ability enables you to make a reaction when you would otherwise take damage. When you make this reaction, you must make a saving throw equal to 10 or half the damage you would have taken, whichever is higher. If you succeed the saving throw, you take no damage from the attack you reacted to. If you fail the saving throw, you take damage as normal. For every round you maintain this Gyre, you gain a bonus of +1 to the roll you make on this saving throw. Additionally, for ever round you maintain this Gyre, the amount of reactions you can make per round to use this dodge ability increases by 1.
>>
>>46273513
Also I should clarify that the saving throw is meant to use Dexterity.
>>
>>46272783
Not at all, it's basically the whole reason I play. Well, that and the rare occasion to go full "tactical genius".
>>
>>46273339
Not trying to give too much away, but a heavy reliance on magic can backfire in devestating ways in OotA.
>>
>>46273339
Good luck anon
>>
Why don't sorcerers have more spells than wizards in 5th? Wasn't that essentially the whole point of them in past editions?
>>
>>46274480
Sorcerers cast more spells than any other class.
>>
>>46274480
they never had more spells, they could just cast more

they still can with sorcery points
>>
question:
If you have arcane ward up from yesterday, can you throw up a new arcane ward today once yesterday's gets to 0 hp?
>>
>>46275260
You can't create a new arcane ward until you've had a long rest
>>
Has the password for the latest rage if demons been released?
>>
I was wondering, does anyone have any map making materials? Or links to them?
>>
>>46275465
All of the Rage of Demons AL adventures are in the Mega, and all the old passwords no longer work since they're selling the AL stuff through DMS Guild now.
>>
>>46272491
He's vaping, bro.
>>
>>46274725
That's what I was meaning. More spells per day than wizards. I know if you're smart you'll always take the quickened spell meta magic, but that still doesn't amount to many more spells per day than a wizard.
>>
>>46275376
right, but does your current ward vanish after a long rest? If you made one yesterday, never took damage, then took a long rest, can you recreate it once it hits 0 hp?
>>
>>46275683
>... to create a magical ward on yourself that lasts until you finish a long rest.
>>
>>46275683
It lasts until you finish a long rest
>>
File: 1363035963630.gif (3 MB, 256x195) Image search: [Google]
1363035963630.gif
3 MB, 256x195
>>46273339
>no fighter, ranger, barbarian or Sorcerer

You're gonna get fucked up by Drow and lost pretty easily. I hope you have some Dwarf characters.
>>
>>46275722
>>46275791

Thanks!
>>
File: moe.jpg (58 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
moe.jpg
58 KB, 900x900
In Out of the Abyss, why does Orcus's lair action list Power Word Kill as having a save?
Should I just ignore that, or should I take it as a DC 23 save or die?
>>
>>46276552
It has no save. If you have under 100 hp and are the target, you die. Straight up.
>>
>>46276582
Yes, I know that's how PWK works.
I was trying to figure out if they meant for it to be PWK as written in the book, or if it was some other save-or-die mechanic.
>>
>>46276552
It's a typo/mistake.
>>
>>46276620
Maybe his Lair requires under 100 HP and a save
>>
>>46273396
>>46273684
>>46273895
>>46276008
Well shit. Better tell my players they're going to have a hard time.
What race/subclass should the rogue pick to help out the most?
>>
>>46276670
I'd probably go with that, because the alternative is dropping at least 1 player a round since most classes will simply not have that much HP.
>>
How does this sound for a Warlock Invocation? Bear in mind Im literally throwing this off the top of my head, it'd probably need a lot of tweaking.

Chaos Armor
Prerequisite- Level 5, Pact of the Blade
Casting costs 1 Action, lasts until dispelled by user, Dispel Magic or similar effect, or caster is incapacitated.

Instead of AC roll a d20 to determine your AC for each attack, plus your proficency bonus. This AC cannot be modified by any spells or attributes.

So with this you basically leave all your tanking up to the dice gods, you can have anywhere between 20 AC or 1 for each attack you take, plus your proficency bonus. Stupid? Overpowered/Underpowered?
>>
>>46274547
>>46274725
Wizard's Arcane Recovery (and Druid's Natural Recovery) outpaces the Sorcerer's Flexible Casting spell slot creation AND the Recovery features don't require you to make your other class features inaccessible.

Sorcerers get Metamagic OR Flexible Casting.
Wizards get Arcane Recovery AND school bonuses.
>>
>>46276753
Let's do some math:
Armor of Shadows = 13 AC + dex modifier (probably 14-16)
Studded Leather (cheap to buy) = 12 AC + dex modifier (probably 13-15)
Chaos Armor = random, average of 13.5.
So it's objectively worse at low levels and at high levels you'll have better armor anyway.

I'd say Chaos Armor should be d20 + prof + dex.
Math comparison:
Robe of the Archmagi: 15 + dex
High-level warlock: 4-6+dex+d20 (average 10)
>>
>>46276967
Wanted to elaborate on that.
>If Chaos Armor includes dex (+2, let's call it)
d20+2+2=average of 14.5
Armor of Shadows: 13+2=15

TL;DR: Your invocation was underpowered, add dex modifier and proficiency bonus to the roll and it'll scale with magic items and be equal to regular armor at low levels. I'd even be willing to open it to anyone like Armor of Shadows.
>>
>>46262833
Secondary rulebook/audiobook version of the PHB, DMG, or SCAG.
I'm a more trusted/faster source of knowledge than the DM or the actual book most of the time
But really, I actually just fill the party with what people need, but never really focus on anything, usually try to support everyone else in/out of game.

I like helping people, most of my characters are monster hunters or history buffs to justify shitting out all this knowledge without it being metagaming. The parties I roll with seem to like me doing it, which is good.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.