[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do the ultramarine's get their recruits from? I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 29
File: tumblr_n44lrx7s2s1sf5d2go1_1280.jpg (168 KB, 1124x711) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n44lrx7s2s1sf5d2go1_1280.jpg
168 KB, 1124x711
Where do the ultramarine's get their recruits from? I thought most space marines recruit from death worlds yet Ultrama is one of the most civilized parts of the galaxy.

Is it a myth that violent recruits are the best recruits as the ultramarine are arguable the greatest chapter.
>>
File: LaughingSupermen.gif (2 MB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
LaughingSupermen.gif
2 MB, 500x209
>Recruiting savages when you can recruit gentlemen.
>>
>>46208145
The minimum requirements for potential recruits are good health and compatible genes.

Everything else is just sifting the chaff from the wheat and varies greatly from chapter to chapter.

Salamanders have insane volcanic assault courses and dragon slaying.
Space Wolves have extreme wilderness training, wolf hunting and troll slaying.
Mortificators just count how many heads you have taken and give you a score.
Blood Angels have Mad Max.
Ultramarines have an academy.
>>
>>46208278

Red Scorpions do the Spartan thing.

>>46208145

With the Ultramarine Academy, you can assume they aren't just taking whoever survives in a shitty wilderness, they're most likely actively pushing you through punishing tests, and that's after stringent candidate selection for purity.

I mean, each chapter doesn't just have their recruits peak at acceptance, there's grueling training still left to be done up through Scout Marine rank and into Tactical.
>>
Why would a family put a 12 year old boy into an academy when he might die.

Is there a maximum number of your sons you are allowed to send?
>>
>>46208437

Let me expand.

I understand that it is an honor and a duty but can you fail your training in a non lethal way? If not then surely that would deter people in an advanced society from sending their sons into training.

Most aristocracy get there kids a cushy job in the military but that doesn't seem possible with the Ultramarines so wouldn't those people with choice eventually stop sending their kids to the academy?
>>
>>46208437

Same reason military families still send their sons off to war, but more so since you're not just sending him off to the guard, you're sending him off to become a walking demi-god of war who will bring death to mankind's enemies in service to the Emperor, your God.

I don't think there's a maximum number of sons you can send to a specific chapter. Pretty sure I've heard of brothers becoming members of the same chapter in some cases.
>>
>>46208538
Having your son in the Ultramarine chapter is probably the equivalent of having your son become a saint. Martyrdom in His name is celebrated.
>>
>>46208538

>wouldn't those people with choice eventually stop sending their kids to the academy

Hey, you get to be a Chapter Serf even if you wash out after a certain point, and those guys are basically a private army used to run their ships and defense forces while the Astartes proper get their hands dirty. At least, in the chapters that treat their serfs better, and that's the case in the Ultras.

Also you stop sending sons because of some sentimentality, and that could be a huge blow to your social standing. When you're in the nobility, it's a bad idea to be perceived as weak and unwilling to have at least one foot in the military to show your prowess. Ultras, and other familiar, won't respect a coward. Come to think of it, nobody in 40k would since damn near everyone needs to contribute to the fight in some way or mankind's fucked.
>>
>>46208437
>>46208538
given that the Ultramarines use an actual academy with a multiyear training regimen, unlike some chapters whose recruitment process consists of 'here's some sharp sticks, fight it out' the Ultramarines probably have one of the highest rates of nonlethal failures out of anyone. That said I'm sure most of the kids submitted for training by the chapter are top-tier physically anyways, so it's not like they'll just send them back, instead they'll just do what most chapters do with surviving failures and chuck them into the ranks of chapter serfs, or in the case of the Ultras, Ultramar's Auxilia regiments and support structure.

Most deaths in the Ultramarine recruitment probably come from the implantation process, which carries serious lethality risks no matter what chapter you are.
>>
>>46208564
>>46208437

We also have to remember that it's not just Children, it's just more dangerous to undergo the surgeries post-puberty. I know there are a few chapters that take a lot of recruits from veteran warrior, or at least one. Can't remember the name.
>>
File: half-eldar1.jpg (584 KB, 1070x1258) Image search: [Google]
half-eldar1.jpg
584 KB, 1070x1258
>>46208437
Back in the older fluff there wasn't the same age requirements as there are now.

You go further back and the genetic purity wasn't an issue.

Then in about 3rd or 4th edition someone in GW came out with
>"lulz wat if space marines need to inject their seed into little boys?"

So we end up with the contradicting fluff that they only accept badass warriors so long as they aren't old enough to need to shave.

Also Ragnar Blackmane was old enough to be fucking before he was chosen to become a marine. So it looks like not everyone from BL/GW is reading from the same sheet.

Pick whatever fluff you like.

Personally I like to believe that they don't accept anyone younger than the 16 -18 age range.
>>
>>46208696
>Also Ragnar Blackmane was old enough to be fucking

So 12?.
>>
>>46208696
>Then in about 3rd or 4th edition
space marines took adolescents as their initiates from day fucking one

please read RT
or Space Marine
either is fine, but please stop making things up based on things you hear on /tg/
>>
>>46208437
Only the first son matters.
>>
>>46208696
Its not a requirement per se, its more like a recommendation. Take your recruits as old as you like, just dont cry when 90% of them die in the process.
>>
>>46208936
10% pass rate is fucking excellent.

In Sons of Dorn the Imperial Fists took ~5,000 hopefuls from one planet and got 3 marines out of it and they commented on it being a good haul.

A 10% pass rate and we are Legion building like an angry primarch.
>>
File: laughing elrond.png (275 KB, 349x311) Image search: [Google]
laughing elrond.png
275 KB, 349x311
>>46208696
>>"lulz wat if space marines need to inject their seed into little boys?"

This is funnier than it has any right to be.
>>
File: Raclaw.jpg (207 KB, 1200x909) Image search: [Google]
Raclaw.jpg
207 KB, 1200x909
>>46208681
>I know there are a few chapters that take a lot of recruits from veteran warrior, or at least one. Can't remember the name.
Black Templars don't give a fuck
>>
>>46209100
Its canon, marines are just nubile children that are impregnated with daddy's semen that has been passed down from brother to brother.
>>
File: Jimmy-Savile.jpg (42 KB, 620x452) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy-Savile.jpg
42 KB, 620x452
>>46209100
It was Britain back in the day.

Everyone was fucking children it seems.
>>
>>46209115
I always assume that the test they do is whatever the planet has as tradition, its never stated how they test the recruits just that they recruit from the chapter keeps that are spread across the galaxy.
>>
>>46208538
I heard some fluff somewhere that if a distant relative becomes an astartes, you could use that for an excuse to become a planetary governor.
>>
>>46208145
OP why is that guy's head so small compared to his torso or why are his shoulders dislocated?
>>
>>46209134
and now I am suddenly an Imperial guard fanboy
>>
>>46209214
He's been purposely deformed to be a better soldier.
>>
>>46209214
Cuz Astartes are freaks with torsos shaped like pieces of toast
>>
>>46208145
All males in the Ultramar system are required to do PDF training. The top recruits will then move on as candidates for astartes training
>>
>>46208145
Honestly, a civilized world with a population of 10 billion is going to turn out more and better recruits than even the most hardcore deathworld with a population of a mere 10 million.
>>
>>46208360
It's probably like marine school and some of the more hardcore special forces stuff. Practical assignments alongside rigorous exercise and stress tests.
I imagine the washouts become officers for the PDF.
>>
>>46208437
>Why would a family put a 12 year old boy into an academy when he might die.
You have to remember that in 40k SM are seen as literal angels of the God Emperor. What kind of heretic wouldn;t want there kid to become an angel?
>>
>>46209930
moms and dads who want their children to have long and productive lives?
>>
>>46210128
>implying your child living to be five centuries old and becoming a captain of an Ultramarines company isn't productive
>>
>>46210128
>implying becoming an ultramarine or serving with the ultramarines as a serf isn't the longest and most productive life a servant of the imperium could hope to have
>>
>>46208145
I imagine the ultramar ones train there marines like modern elite from western countries
>>
They recruit from Ultramar. Not all Chapters recruit from hellish death worlds, and the Smurfs pride themselves on being civil administrators. Induction into the chapter is another form of civil service
>>
File: mfw.jpg (12 KB, 198x254) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
12 KB, 198x254
>>46210128
>Wanting your child to live a meaningless existence of drudgery instead of serving your God
>>
File: Serfs.jpg (24 KB, 321x517) Image search: [Google]
Serfs.jpg
24 KB, 321x517
>>46208145
Another question are the muhreens allowed to Equip and train their serfs like a private army?

Say the marines have to assault a place and defend a key location are they allowed to give their thousands of serfs armor and weapons and tell them to do that?

I know they aren't allowed to command IG directly or was it build their own IG?
>>
File: 1437160813921.jpg (15 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1437160813921.jpg
15 KB, 640x480
>>46210313
believing the Emperor is a God whilst being a Space Marine...
>>
>>46210318
>are the muhreens allowed to Equip and train their serfs like a private army?
Not really. they have armed serfs crewing ships and defending their fortress monastery but that's about it
>Say the marines have to assault a place and defend a key location
That's what Tarantulas are for.
Trying to integrate serfs into your army for assault ops like that is probably going to get you investigate by the big ]I[
>>
>>46210318
More that the IG has the right to refuse commands if said commands would be stupid, insane, or contradictory to their current orders. Most are willing to submit to space marines without an issue so long as they aren't eating their faces or putting their heads on spikes for cowardice.
>>
>>46210154
>>46210159
>>46210313

>turning into a oiled mutant freak that showers with other oiled mutant freaks is productive

Not to mention the fact that

>>"lulz wat if space marines need to inject their seed into little boys?"

actually happens. No one wants to get their kids molested by angels.
>>
>>46210318
I think in certain situations they can command the guard or at least give guardsman officers sound advice on what do do in a battle
for the serfs I imagine they arm the serfs If the chapters homeworld is under seige and the extra help is needed
>>
>>46210405
>No one
the Imperium disagrees. Smurfs are extremely popular and quite effective.
>>
>>46210450
>yes big blue angel put your seed inside my little boys

fucking hell.
>>
>>46210466
>waaah the people in the nightmare future don't share my modern sensibilities
The Imperium's schoolteachers carry power hammers and will literally tear the spines out of disobedient students.
>>
>>46210405
>Being one of the most powerful warriors in existance isn't productive

>that showers with other oiled mutant freaks is productive
I'm pretty sure there's a story that mentions him showering with an inquisitor and her retinue. The chick even makes a joke about his giant wang
>>
>>46210392
Not every chapter has a cult of dirt worshiping savagery
>>
>>46210318
Some chapters have their own armies derived from normal humans of their home planet. The Ultramar Auxilia and the Jaerls of Fenris are probably the two best examples
>>
>>46210568
Forgot to add: they basically are a PDF and do not act offensively, only defending their chapter's territory or serving on warships
>>
>>46210527
>become a super powerful warrior.
>follow a book that has been cracked by blueberries.
whats the point.

>>46210521
Guardsmen get shitty metal bayonets and schoolteachers get power hammers?
>>
>>46210603
>whats the point.
>Pimp armour
>rocket machinegun as standard weapon
>can spit acid
>>
>>46210318
>are the muhreens allowed to Equip and train their serfs like a private army?
chapter serfs are well trained and equipped, but they know better than anyone that they aren't physically capable of matching the pace of the marines

They'll fight if absolutely necessary (much like imperial navy ratings), but mostly stick to making the marine's jobs easier by manning the big guns and managing the logistical side of things.
>>
>>46210659
>have to pee in their pants.
Nah
>>
>>46210707
>not wanting to drink your own reclaimed pee from your armour
Bear Grylls is disappoint
>>
>>46210603
>become a super powerful empire
>supreme leader gets killed without anyone noticing or lifting a finger
whats the point
>>
>>46208437
>Why would a family put a 12 year old boy into an academy when he might die.

You realize this is 40k right.
>>
>>46210766
bear grylls pees in his bottle, not in his diapers.

>>46210771
He wouldn't have died if the ultramarines weren't playing Age of Empires - 30k edition.
>>
>>46210766

Power armor refiltered urine lacks that delicious urine taste that Grylls has come to love.
>>
>>46210318

The 5E Zone Mortalis boarding defense crew who are chapter serfs defending space marine ships with their lives are the same as void IG with laspistols and shotguns if that answers your question.
>>
File: Culexus_Updated.jpg (809 KB, 1010x1517) Image search: [Google]
Culexus_Updated.jpg
809 KB, 1010x1517
>>46210884
>without anyone noticing or lifting a finger
The assault on the vengeful spirit is well recognized, even ten thousand years later. The Crux Terminatus is a badge of honor for that very assault.

The Tau didn't notice the spooky skeleton walking straight into their command HQ and killing big brother.
>>
File: Snu snu.jpg (112 KB, 602x640) Image search: [Google]
Snu snu.jpg
112 KB, 602x640
>>46211010
what happens if a culexus wants an eldar pet?
>>
>>46211039
Doesn't happen, for a number of reasons.
>>
>>46211089
but what if it does?
>>
>>46209234
Imperial Guard are true men
>>
File: WC_Astartes.jpg (49 KB, 400x576) Image search: [Google]
WC_Astartes.jpg
49 KB, 400x576
>>46210318
In a limited sense. Space Marine ships and fortress monasteries are defended by Chapter serfs, and Chapters that have their own little empires like the Ultras or the White Consuls can have their own regiments of armsmen, provided they can afford to equip them without help from the Departmento Munitorium.

In fluff that I'm not sure is canon anymore, the Consuls used to have a significant portion of their chapter devoted to leading squads of Consular Guardsmen, since the Consul's piece of space is so far from Administratum support. I assume, however, that at least some of the military and financial muscle of these mini-empires is still expected to make it's way to Terra.
>>
>>46211102
it don't
>>
>>46211106
based guardsmen, not diddling kids.
>>
>>46211120
but what if it do?
>>
>>46211146
it do not
>>
>>46211150
but what if it do?
>>
>>46208437
You don't really understand the significance of being a space marine.

The Emperor is everything to the citizens of the Imperium. He is quite literally the reason they're all still alive right now. They live and die in service to the Emperor. What greater honor is there than to have your son become an immortal angel to your living god?
>>
>>46211188
but then they don't worship him as god.
>>
File: 1370529071273.jpg (153 KB, 661x777) Image search: [Google]
1370529071273.jpg
153 KB, 661x777
>>46208696
I still remember the white dwarf where a veteran sergeant of the pdf became a black templar.

I prescribe to an older cut off. All you need is to take a moment to realize what an actual 12-16 year old is capable of and realize that its a stupid concept for the cut off to be so low.
>>
>>46211246
Well, the marine implants have always worked alongside a human's natural growth period. Shit kinda pidgeonholes the effective recruiting age.

>realize what an actual 12-16 year old is capable of
Unlike you I've played Necromunda. Juves can be quite dangerous.
>>
File: fp9u3.gif (749 KB, 350x306) Image search: [Google]
fp9u3.gif
749 KB, 350x306
>>46211472
>necromunda
>actual 12-16 year old
>>
If ultramarines are supposed to be like ancient greeks/romans then chances are peadophilia and butbuggery run rampant across the chapter.
>>
File: 2009-09-27_180035.png (16 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2009-09-27_180035.png
16 KB, 640x480
>>46211688
Necromunda is one of the recruiting planets of the Imperial Fists. Hive gangers have been prime stock since Rogue Fucking Trader.

Yes, necromunda juves are a perfect example of the sorts of twelve year olds a chapter is going to use as its recruits. There's an entire fucking book about it, you colossal moron.
>>
>>46209115
I've always felt like the whole "must be a child" thing about Space Marines was on a per-chapter basis. Like the more codex-compliant chapters prefer their recruits younger because it makes the implantations sit easier and lets them start indoctrination early, but less codex compliant ones prefer recruits old enough to have proven themselves among their peers, and thus their recruits tend to be more independent. My memory on it's vague, but I seem to remember a recruit in the Space Wold Omnibus that was either an older teen or young adult when he was chosen, well past the majority of his natural growth.
>>
>>46211219
The plebs don't know that.
>>
>>46212747
so space marines are secretly chaos warbands?
>>
>>46212039

Necron attacks make for a hell of a recruiting world.
>>
>>46210128
>Long and productive lives
>Warhammer Universe

Pick one
>>
>>46208145
Who decided space marines needed tiny, stupid looking heads to go with their huge mutant bodies?

Was it the same dude who thought the pauldrons were a good idea?

Can we kill this man before he strikes again?
>>
>>46212844
That man was The God-Emperor of Mankind

He decided to give them small heads because Otherwise it would cause brain problems.
>>
>>46212793
No. They don't have to worship him because they're his grandchildren now. Not even the Grey Knights worship him as a god but they are his his sons now.
>>46212844
The pauldrons are automated. Let me go find a certain picture.
>>
>>46208360
>Red Scorpions do the Spartan thing.
....they have anal sex with them as children to build unit cohesion?
They have them run out into the slave fields when training and butcher random slaves at irregular intervals to desensitize them to killing and to keep the slaves quiet?

Unless you mean just "very harsh physical training", in which case every modern professional army ever does that in real life, which is nothing special.
>>
>>46212793
The marines baring the Word Bearers and some Imperial Fists followed the Imperial Truth during the Horus Heresy. So they didn't refer to the Emperor as a God. 10,000 years later Chapters still uphold that tradition though they don't know why it's a tradition in the first place.
>>
>>46213061

More that they screen for genetic mutation among recruits that are offered up as newborn babies, leaving the unfit to die.

And the the anal sex to build unit cohesion.
>>
>>46213096
>10,000 years later Chapters still uphold that tradition though they don't know why it's a tradition in the first place.
Source?
>>
>>46212907
Like thinking before painting oneself bright colors and charging into melee?

>>46212974
I've seen the automation excuse. That doesn't make them look any less absolutely fucking retarded and impossible to take seriously.
>>
>>46213172
>More that they screen for genetic mutation among recruits that are offered up as newborn babies, leaving the unfit to die.

Ah, okay.
Well that's no so odd since genetic screening happens in tons of places in the Empire as far as I know, which is why mutants and abhumans are all second-class citizens.
>>
>>46208145
where a space marine chapter recruits from is one of its most closest secrets. However yes a lot tend to recruit from death worlds or very harsh places in general or groups of people that have survived very dangerous scenarios. Physical toughness is always looked at highly because becoming a space marine is no mean feat and most recruits die or are crippled from it anyway.
>>
File: Abby.jpg (20 KB, 400x661) Image search: [Google]
Abby.jpg
20 KB, 400x661
>>46213216
>I've seen the automation excuse. That doesn't make them look any less absolutely fucking retarded and impossible to take seriously.
I couldn't find the picture where the Chaos termie had his power maul swinging arm raised as far as he could but Abby here seems to be able to move his arm fine here.
>>
File: 61651615.jpg (138 KB, 838x638) Image search: [Google]
61651615.jpg
138 KB, 838x638
>>46213182
>He doesnt read the codexes

What a fag.
>>
File: Smug dimetrodon.png (290 KB, 1024x616) Image search: [Google]
Smug dimetrodon.png
290 KB, 1024x616
>>46213346
Why aren't you just the most helpful person. A page number would be nice. Also you're the fag for posting inferior smug.
>>
File: Saturnine is back.jpg (47 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Saturnine is back.jpg
47 KB, 720x960
More pauldrons coming through.
>>
>>46213096
I don't really know if that's really true anymore. Its been like 7000 years since the the Imperial Cult took hold of the Imperium, it permeates all levels of society, and there are very powerful people who will murk you if you so much as suggest the God emperor isn't divine.

Space Marines have impressive records of the past but even they have to take a bit of influence from the Imperium they've been defending for all those millenia. Many are already full on worshipers like the Imperial Fists and Black Templars.
>>
File: 511651665.png (155 KB, 455x396) Image search: [Google]
511651665.png
155 KB, 455x396
>>46213437
>I dont know this basic piece of fluff thats in most codexes, please spoonfeed me a page number! I t-t-totally read the books!

How about you open a book and read.
>>
>>
>>46213497
I'd love it if this was a new unit like a heavy support squad in termie armor for all legions.
>>
File: KidneyStoneTypes.jpg (12 KB, 280x212) Image search: [Google]
KidneyStoneTypes.jpg
12 KB, 280x212
>>46213517
Why would I read a book when I have the pdf? Are you just going to post anime pictures or prove that marines forget the Imperial Truth? That doesn't even make sense when the Space Wolves have Bjron to tell them what it was like back in the day.
>>
>>46213505
the black templar war chant is pretty bonerific.

>Lead us from death to victory, from falsehood to truth,
>Lead us from despair to hope, from faith to slaughter.
>Lead us to His strength and an eternity of war.
>Let His wrath fill our hearts.
>Death, war and blood; in vengeance serve the Emperor in the name of Dorn!
>All-conquering Master of Mankind, be pleased with this war’s tumultuous roar!
>Delight in swords and fists red with alien blood, and the dire ruin of savage battle
>Rejoice in furious challenge, and avenging strife, whose works with woe embitter human life
>>
File: IF_Termi_Sgt_Tartarus_Pattern.jpg (363 KB, 699x971) Image search: [Google]
IF_Termi_Sgt_Tartarus_Pattern.jpg
363 KB, 699x971
>>
File: DA_vs._Crimson_Slaughter.jpg (173 KB, 1004x700) Image search: [Google]
DA_vs._Crimson_Slaughter.jpg
173 KB, 1004x700
>>46213216
Pauldrons are attached by a hinge. They don't impinge movement at all because they rotate out of the way.
>>
>>46213182
Original guy you're responding to.

I don't know where I first read it or if I just guessed it but the marines save a few chapters don't refer to him as the God-Emperor, They didn't do so during the Heresy either. It would explain why all those loyal citizens who worship the Emperor suddenly get over the term "God-Emperor" after indoctrination. It could be a part of their hypno-tempering too, though I think that's more for vehicle training and breeding out fear.

In a related note, some depictions of Christian mythology have God and his Angels refuse to refer to themselves as divine beings. This is what Lorgar uses to excuse the Imperial Truth.
>>
>>46213617
All chapters have their own cult, they dont worship the emperor but they do have their own little rituals, so yes, in a way they have forgotten about the imperial truth.
>>
>>46208145
If it hasn't been mentioned, OP:

Space Marine chapters recruit from the worlds they have access to. If their system only has populated Death Worlds and Hive cities, then they'll recruit from there.

Ultramar is a civilized corner of the galaxy due to the Codex' very specific descriptions of how to run a government and society. There are Agri-Worlds, Mining worlds, and other minor hab-planets like Calth and stuff that the Ultramarines recruit from, as people have mentioned, via the Military Academy on Ultramar.
>>
>>46210884
Space marines don't wear diapers, they're not astronauts. It's more like a condom with a hose attached to it leading to a brita filter.
>>
>>46213617
>Bjorn
>a trustful source of information

First, he's a Space Wolf. No one outside Fenris is going to believe him.

Second, he's a Dreadnought. They're known to suffer brain damage due to being brought back from the dead. Even if he's somehow avoided brain damage, people will hold prejudice against anything a dreadnought says. Especially when it repeats what really old Chaos Marines spout all the time.
>>
>>46213699
>That doesn't make them look any less absolutely fucking retarded and impossible to take seriously.
What did I say.
>>
>>46213979
>First, he's a Space Wolf. No one outside Fenris is going to believe him.
People seem to respect him from other places.
>Even if he's somehow avoided brain damage, people will hold prejudice against anything a dreadnought says. Especially when it repeats what really old Chaos Marines spout all the time.
They wake him up every 100 years to tell stories.
>>
chapter that im working on will recruit from one world that is a feudal world and another one that is basically mad max. Most chapters look for something like that as a next best thing aside from death worlds. Places that have combat often or are just harsh in general are always top of the list.
>>
>>46213979
That's the exact opposite of the truth. Dreadnoughts suffer some degradation and memory loss but they are insanely respected by any Space Marine chapter for the stories they do remember and tell on occasion. The reason Bjorn doesn't make a difference in deciding whether or not the Space Wolves remember the Imperial Truth is because why the hell would any Space Wolf ask him about anything that isn't a kick ass war story. Matters of faith are what the Wolf Priests are for and IIRC Fenris has some weird paganism with the Emperor as Odin or something.
>>
>>46212793
In the eyes of the ecclesiarchy? Basically. Chapter cults are only barely tolerated.

>>46213505
Space Marine chapter cults pre-date the Imperial Cult. They are completely separate from Imperial society in pretty much all ways, to the point that the only reason they aren't hunted down and burned is because they literally share the flesh of (the ecclesiarch's) God.
>>
>>46210318

Not him, but how much leeway does a SM chapter have on the "don't turn your serfs into a private army" thing?

Say you've got a chapter, and they like to use field fortifications. Of course, it's beneath Astartes to actually build earthworks and the like, that's what serfs are for. But if they're going to be hanging around potentially dangerous areas like field fortifications, they could use weapons. And if they just happen to fight off a rampaging mob of orks or whatever is in the battlezone, well, that's not raising an army, is it?

Would an SM chapter get in trouble for that kind of rules bending?
>>
>>46214623
There aren't any concrete rules to that sort of thing. It depends on how many toes they step on while doing it, or what sort of favors they can give to ignore it.
>>
>>46214623
that's literally what techmarines and servitors are for

instead of wasting their valuable serfs on the ground, they use disposable automated weapons because they have the tech
>>
>>46214765

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The whole point of the thing was to try to use chapter serfs as auxiliary forces while pretending they were doing no such thing.
>>
>>46214858
well, it's possible, the astral claws did something along those lines

but it's kind of pointless considering the imperial guard exists and won't have people think you're trying to become huron 2.0
>>
>>46214922

It would almost inevitably be way, way easier to coordinate with your own forces, even if they're functionally identical in composition, than to a completely different organization which might or might not have the same perspective on things.

I just can't imagine too many Space Marine chapters having a lot of confidence in the Guard, especially where close coordination between the two is sought.
>>
>>46214858
Thats what serfs do, hell the UM have their own private army.
>>
>>46215051

Yeah, but the smurfs are special. If another chapter tried it, would the Inquisition bring down the hammer?
>>
>>46214976
>It would almost inevitably be way, way easier to coordinate with your own forces
Not really? Like, robot goalieman split up the various elements of the imperial military as a contingency measure, but he also made sure they had somewhat standardized tactical manuals so they'd all work together well enough.

Serfs (and guard, for that matter) just can't fight at the pace of marines. They're plain old dudes. That's why they man the bombardment cannons and other good shit out of the way. And if you're shoving them into a bunch of fortifications, there's no real reason not to use guard. Like, that's what guard train to do.

Yes a chapter could recruit a shit-ton of "serfs" and equip/use them like guard regiments, but that's the sort of stuff that makes the people who matter upset. It's also an enormous waste of time when they don't actually need to supplement their manpower at all, because we know that a single ship of marines can topple an entire planet's military on their own.

>>46215211
The smurfs, and by extension the astral claws only used those forces only in roles of planetary defense. And even that is only borderline acceptable.
>>
>>46213617
>Are you just going to post anime pictures or prove that marines forget the Imperial Truth?

Literally every space marine codex intro chapters talk about this. It's like you never even bothered to read anything in the codex other than the rules.
>>
File: Untitled.png (258 KB, 725x934) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
258 KB, 725x934
>>46213617

If you have a PDF why the fuck don't you just CTRL+F it you dumb faggot?
>>
>>46215340
>in contrast to all other Space Marine Chapters
that just proves the black templars have brain damage
>>
File: space marine cults.png (1 MB, 818x1726) Image search: [Google]
space marine cults.png
1 MB, 818x1726
>>46215294
>It is said that they do not worship the Benevolent Emperor as the God he is, but instead give their praise to him only as the founder of the Imperium and their creator.
>>
File: 15.jpg (689 KB, 1082x1585) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
689 KB, 1082x1585
>>46208145
There's nothing "arguable" about it, you blaspheming plebeian fucking filth.
>>
>>46215211
Considering one chapter is not only not codex compliant, and uses a bunch of tiny aliens as their serfs, I imagine chapters will do what they want.
>>
>>46216833
Again, a first founding chapter. They get away with a lot more.
>>
>>46216901

Some first-foundings get away with more because they fall in line with the Imperium more often than not, like the Ultras, and some get away with a lot because they keep it secretive and develop a reputation for not taking kindly to prying eyes, like the Dark Angels.
>>
File: images (8).jpg (10 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
10 KB, 384x384
>>46208145
a) They get the worst rascals surviving in the underhives of the glorious Realm of Ultramar.

b) There are loads of nobles subjecting their second children to grueling training so they may boast about having a space marine in the family. Many of the kids like the idea.

c) One of the 500 worlds must be very (un)naturally dangerous, perhaps Calth.

d) We don't talk about it.

e) Even they don't know, they just follow the instructions Roboute left and pick up the recruits at the planet 4760-T. The master of logistics set up a system which survives until today.

f) All of the above.
>>
>>46216999
And they both have the clout to deal with any sucks Inquisitors who disagree/find out.
>>
>>46210128
Stop trolling.
>>
>>46208696
He's not an actual Space Marine, just a dude wearing some power armor. He's just their Chief Astropath, a role that is usually fulfilled by ordinary humans (or, at least, as ordinary as any psyker with interstellar telepathy can be).
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.