[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tiny humans giant aliens soft scifi setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: image.png (461 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
image.png
461 KB, 675x900
Whelp, last thread got deleted, probably cause we were trying to world build in a fetish thread

But I liked the idea so lets continue

What we have so far
>Space opera setting, a general mishmash of soft scifi/space tropes, first contact was a while ago and it's been long enough since then so lots of races have intermingled, particularly on major trading hubs and space stations.

Main races
>Humans
The Little people of the setting, absolutely tiny compared to most other races, about the size of a hand. Despite this extremely dense, to the point they have very little to fear from accidentally getting stepped on, a side effect of evolving on the densest known homeworld. Often living along side other races in their own cities tucked away in the walls and floors alongside other races, think The Littles

>Space elves [need name]
Blue space elves, hellenistic/ancient greek theme with a fairly ridgedly defined caste system: warriors, artisans, merchants, etc.. Caste is denoted by silvery chest tattoos, with additional tattoos added for noteworthy deeds/honors/promotions

>Plant folks [need name]
Space dryads/alraunes. Use tree ships/plant based tech, like having large spaces full of soil to relax in

>Avians [need name]
Not much done, come from a very low G homeworld

>Insectiods [need name]
Paradoxically both loners among their own kind and very fond of other races, no matter what planet you go too, there's always going to be a giant bug person there doing odd jobs just so it can be around other races

>Squidfolk/merfolks [need name]
Not much done, wear "wetsuits" when out of the water
>>
>>45199081
Link to previous thread in case anyone want to try to salvage something from it
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/45150272/
>>
>>45199081
Its gonna be asked eventually so lets clear the air. Can cross species sex and/or breeding happen?
>>
>>45199263
You are everything wrong with any world building thread.
>>
>>45199263
Hadn't come up though admittedly the greentext/writefaging that spawned this setting implied shenanigans involving humanXgiantess space elf were fairly common

Sex is probably possible, though potentially awkward/relying on creativity to make things work

Breeding, I'd say no, but if we want to go full soft scifi, maybe?
I'd still prefer the "hybrids" to be of one race or the other, just with a few traits of the other parent if that's the case
>>
>>45199081
>Tiny humans giant aliens soft scifi setting

So Macross? Because it sounds like you are talking about Macross.
>>
>>45199282
Honestly i was testing the water to see if this was an actual idea or just a lazy way to fluff out an erp setting or talk about fetishes. I was hoping for the first cause i honestly like the idea of humans being dense little balls of bastard that can stand being stepped on by mountains. Also it doesn't have to be magical realm if they can as this would open up the idea of half giants and the like or perhaps explaining the idea of 15ft tall angels with birdlike wings having visited earth during christ times etc.
>>
>>45199081
Okay the humans being THAT little is stupid.
Just have them be like a head or two shorter than the aliens.
>>
File: cross species couple.jpg (64 KB, 475x360) Image search: [Google]
cross species couple.jpg
64 KB, 475x360
>>45199263
With the right tech, why not?
>>
>>45199382
Honestly, you are everything wrong with any world building thread. Trying to justify yourself only makes it worse, and only works as a self-delusion so that you continue in your set behavior.
>>
>>45199263
Sex, yes. Taboo and uncommon, but certainly possible.

Reproduction? Of course not, at least not naturally. This is soft sci-fi, not science fantasy.
>>
>>45199081
How about having the insecticide be a species of over-enthusiastic tinker/otaku types? The reason they don't like others of their own kind is because each and every one holds their own opinions and achievements to be superior, while they idolize the other races and can't get enough of their science and pop culture. Maybe they're much smaller than the other giant species, coming to only knee or waist height on them, while still seeming rather big to Humans.
>>
>>45199530
>Insectoid

Damn autocorrect.
>>
>>45199351
Yeah, pretty much, but with more alien races than just "giant human"
Though admittedly most of the other races are just "giant plant/bird/fish/insect humanoid"

>>45199382
>Also it doesn't have to be magical realm if they can as this would open up the idea of half giants and the like or perhaps explaining the idea of 15ft tall angels with birdlike wings having visited earth during christ times etc.
Eh, it has it's roots in a magical realm if that's a deal breaker, but I do like the idea without it

Personally I just like world building and enjoy any excuse to do so

The question of if the avians were bird people or winged humaniods was brought up, but it didn't go anywhere.
You got an idea for them?

And also the size difference I had in mind was humans roughly the size of one of the larger race's hands and generally what was assumed in the last thread.
I personally would prefer that cause I like humanity being scifi The Littles but also tough bastards as you put it.
But we were intentionally leaving it vague, with the aliens being somewhere between 3 stories tall for humans to humans being the size of their hand

>>45199445
>Just have them be like a head or two shorter than the aliens.
Nah, I like Macross level size difference, plus the whole "humanity living in the walls of a giant's space station" appeals to me

>I can not proof read today
>>
>>45199530
>The reason they don't like others of their own kind is because each and every one holds their own opinions and achievements to be superior, while they idolize the other races and can't get enough of their science and pop culture. Maybe they're much smaller than the other giant species, coming to only knee or waist height on them, while still seeming rather big to Humans.
Oh, this I like, plus if they're a race of mechanics and engineers it would give other races a reason to want them around

And them being smaller means some of the same advantages humanity has (small size, easier to get to places that need repairing, need less resources) with a bit fewer disadvantages (still big enough to use "normal sized" tools without a mech)
>>
>>45199382
Alright, any suggestions?

Having the avians being angel ripoffs could work, especially if you give them a philosophical/religious culture
>>
>>45199487
Your dogmatism and fearmongering is sad. Just because something requires unspecified undetailed sex to happen for something else to exist doesn't inherently make it magical realm no matter the components
>>45199502
Honestly like the idea they're more bird than humanoid perhaps almost entirely so. Low low grav world but dense atmosphere means thet can almost glide forever only occasionally flapping. Perhaps they feed like whales using airborne forms of plankton or smaller species of flyers. I'm not sure how birthing would be handled though you'd have to somehow make a nest or some sort of pouch for the child/egg to sit in. Maybe the egg hatches internally. Apparently we can't discuss this though because "waaaah boogeyman scawwy!" Guy will apparently throw a fit.
If we're dealing with low grav and soft sci perhaps make the squid people just that almost entirely squidy but with some sort of containment field to keep a perfect sphere of water safe and grav pads to float it.
Another question would be that while they're a lot less dense and therefore super light but how fragile are they? Do falls crack bones or are they somehow super stronger? If they're flesh is super thinky packed could a tiny dense muscle punch from a human pop their skin like a waterballoon?
>>
>>45199681
Do the avians NEED to be avian? In that world you described a marsupial glider could work quite well, birthing a live baby that crawls into the mothers pouch even if they're in mid-glide.
>>
>>45199668
I like the idea of the Avians being very philosophical and religious, though I'm not quite a fan of them being the inspiration for angels in Human history. Perhaps they have an ascetic-warrior ruling class, like a shogunate style government composed of different paladin orders.
>>
>>45199750
I suppose so. Anything with sufficiently big wing span, light body, and proper diet to make whatever passes for a brain would work. Flying kangaroos in space australia might be a cool thing to build off of.
>>
>>45199681
>Your dogmatism and fearmongering is sad. Just because something requires unspecified undetailed sex to happen for something else to exist doesn't inherently make it magical realm no matter the components
Ignore him

>Honestly like the idea they're more bird than humanoid perhaps almost entirely so. Low low grav world but dense atmosphere means thet can almost glide forever only occasionally flapping. Perhaps they feed like whales using airborne forms of plankton or smaller species of flyers. I'm not sure how birthing would be handled though you'd have to somehow make a nest or some sort of pouch for the child/egg to sit in. Maybe the egg hatches internally. Apparently we can't discuss this though because "waaaah boogeyman scawwy!" Guy will apparently throw a fit.
Well unless they're on a gas giant they probably have somewhere to land and raise their young, plus if they ever want to get off world they'll need some infrastructure

>If we're dealing with low grav and soft sci perhaps make the squid people just that almost entirely squidy but with some sort of containment field to keep a perfect sphere of water safe and grav pads to float it.
Possibly, I did like the idea of them being semi amphibious, but more on the aquatic side
A suit seems like a better option for interacting with other races than a bubble of water to me though
Having water filled ships and hyper oxygenate the water is an option for air breathing guests though (and one that technically works for humans, albeit with problems)

>Another question would be that while they're a lot less dense and therefore super light but how fragile are they?
Eh, I was thinking durable enough that when abstracted to mechanics a level one alien will have the same HP as a human

>Do falls crack bones or are they somehow super stronger?
Super strong

>If they're flesh is super thinky packed could a tiny dense muscle punch from a human pop their skin like a waterballoon?
No
>>
>>45199794
"On our wings only we can achieve the loftiest heights of knowledge."
>>
>>45199750
Depends on tastes I'd say, you can get odd flyers as long as they have a sensible shape

Though I would prefer them to be somewhat humanoid, at least enough that there can be standard tools/won't need too special accommodations in cosmopolitan stations

But if everyone else wants more alien aliens instead of space opera aliens, I'm fine with that

>>45199794
I pretty much agree with everything you said, not too fond of the "aliens responsible for religion" idea, but love the idea of philosophical bird people like the Chozo
>>
Huh, I wrote some of the greentexts on the previous thread. I hope an actual game system comes out of all this, sounds fun.
>>
>>45199837
They see themselves as enlightened peacekeepers amongst the cosmos, and in large part they are, though they are somewhat prone to being somewhat prideful in nature and having holier-than-thou attitudes. Their systems government and religion are one in the same, with thousands upon thousands of temples and orders scattered across the galaxy, all organized into a simple but rigid hierarchy that deals with both physical and spiritual matters swiftly and surely.
>>
>>45199971
I like it. They truly believe their ability to see the world from on high is a perspective only they can achieve and appreciate making them aim for greater and greater knowledge which in turn means better tech allowing them to firmly seat themselves as the universal governing agent as they truly believe only they can lead all races to a better tomorrow. From basic sheriff types all the way to grand judge and jury they'd have a hand in it. At least in their territory.
>>
>>45199947
I wrote some of the others, and I'm hoping we'll get something good out of this too, I like the idea, even as more than just fetish but I'd just be happy with some decent fluff to plug into a system
>>
>>45200061
Every populated planet in the galaxy has at least a few Avian temples/embassies, and on the major planets most large cities will have one all to itself.

While the Avians respect the cultural differences and autonomy of different species for the most part, they have the reputation of being good-intentioned meddlers in the affairs of the "less enlightened."

They are not the most technologically advanced race in the cosmos, as their ascetic, ultra-religious culture views many pieces of technology as frivolous or unnecessary.

>>45199601
The insectoids are incredibly technologically inclined however, and are renowned for reverse engineering, adapting and improving the scientific advancements of their host races. This, and their fangirlish adolation of the bigger folk make them especially welcome in their adoptive cultures.

They do however don't like Humans that much, as the Humans have begun encroaching on their role as the small, technologically-inclined, "cute" race.

Throw away idea - all Insectoids are female.
>>
I feel we're leaving the giants behind here suddenly even though they're what started this. i always fancied the idea that giants like being useful. They understand that yes its their world but them being so big is a serious nuisance to us humans despite the fact they can't actually harm us unless intended. Perhaps they're pretty humanitarian going from world to world helping build things with their size. This would also explain why they'd let us build in their ships and city walls and make general accommodations to our safety rather than scoffing at us and saying we should just watch where they're going or suffer the minor inconvenience of being stepped on.
>>
>>45200403
Like the avians, A bit iffy on the insectiods only because I like the idea of them being every race's (sometimes unwanted) friend except their own

Fine with them being all female, they are insects after all
>>
>>45200514
Well considering the base idea was all of the races are giants except humans, it may be better to try to flesh out the alien races then how humans being tiny would affect relations with them

Given what we said of the avians so far I do think that description would sort of fit how they regard humanity though (humanitarian but condescending)
>>
>>45200516
I like the insectoid idea. Every spaceport has an insectoid travel agency/s so they can take you around town and show you all the haunts and places of interest they KNOW your species like and maybe, just maybe, they can be close to you and maybe smell ya a bit and take a sock as a souvenir and you can tell them how awesome earth is and make them an honorary human, yeaaaah. They will absolutely sell you their tech for cheap then call you later to hangout and do human shit like play wargame such as football, no not that football REAL football.
>>
>>45200616
No, no, NO! they need to be desperately attracted to the Human Males, since we are all so powerful and strong and virile.
>>
>>45200516
They would be every race's friend, and their unbridled enthusiasm for alien technology and culture may sometimes cause them to be seen as clingy and trying too hard to impress their host races. I had just thought that since Humans were also smaller than the giant species, technologically proficient and somewhat reliant on the kindness of their larger alien allies that there might be some friction there.

If the idea doesn't jive, no worries!
>>
>>45200641
Fuck you! Human females are best! They aren't all blocky and hard. Also they evolved for sex! they got these things called breast that human males go to "clubs" and pay exorbitant amounts just to SEE them let alone have a chance to touch one!
>>
>>45200696
Well if are going with small enough to be held in my hand sized humanity, there wouldn't really be much competition other than for a very fine, delicate work, things like electronics or heavily miniaturize components, the insectiods I was thinking would handle more heavy machinery.
Like a car repair man versus the computer repair man, they feel similar but different niches
>>
>>45200641
You stop
Or at least be more subtle about your magical realm

>>45200723
Don't give him attention
>>
>>45200764
Ah, I see. I was thinking that the Insectoids would be handling any and all technology that their host race builds or utilizes.
>>
>>45200881
Well we are still spitting out ideas and that's just the interpretation I took

I just figured due to their size humanity would handle a lot of small components which would usually be stuff like electronics while larger machinery would have to be someone else doing it. Which leaves plenty of room for another tech race
>>
>>45199081
>Lizard people
>Heavily tribal society. Not unfriendly, but livelier than you'd like from something that size, being noticeably larger than even the other giant races. Big fans of the old Godzilla movies.
>>
>>45200939
Here's a question I hadn't considered: how long ago was Humanity's first contact with the giant aliens of the galaxy? For some reason I was imagining that Humanity was a real newcomer to the cosmic stage, but if they've been living and interacting with these different species for a while a lot of the bumps and hiccups will have worked themselves out already. If this is the case, then I might imagine the Humans and Insectoids being rather comfortable working together once the space dust has settled, if theyre both "small" tech-based races.
>>
>>45200961
I was actually thinking that the octopus-based race might actually be the biggest, with big, burly physiques and a culture based around trading and Epicureanism.
>>
>>45201078
I was assuming long enough to get settled in so to speak, like maybe a century or so? We might be the newest race but we're not newcomers at this point
>>
>>45201162
>>45201078
Long enough to be known about, but still fresh that most of us are known only from clips on Space!Wikipedia.

However, our pop culture is getting ahead of us.
>>
>>45201162
>>45201240
These two time estimates feel slightly at odds with each other.
>>
>>45201445
What's your suggestion then?
>>
>>45201629
Different anon. I like the idea that our culture is far ahead of us making us seem bigger than life only for our fresh faces to be so small.
>>
>>45201731
Eh, I don't really like that but I can't put my finger on why, guess cause I'm assuming that the other races have already had plenty of contact with humanity
>>
>>45201871
It's a big galaxy. We'd be known personally by some aliumz and others would only know us by the thousands of new torrents of mecha shows that just became available.
>>
>>45201899
I like this it would explain the insectoids being slightly weebish and intensely fascinated with us and our animated stories of grand heroes.
>>
>>45202016
But would go against them treating everyone else that same way
>>
>>45201445
I prefer humanity's been there for a while honestly
I feel people expecting us taller would only work if they were very very new
>>
you know, most planets that support giant humanoids will probably be low-gravity worlds. Planets with shorter humanoids will probably be high gravity worlds.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquareCubeLaw

Think of it like this: On earth, elephants can hurt themselves by sitting down too fast. Cat's are small enough that they can fall any height and not die (they don't fall fast enough at terminal velocity to hurt themselves if only they land correctly. They do some times sustain injuries, but the effect gets greater the smaller you go. Mice can be thrown out of air planes, and tiny bugs wouldn't be harmed by the fall even if it was a vacuum. A New York City fire department did a study on cat's being injured by falling off of buildings to confirm this).

This also means that, outside of their native environment people wont be able to adapt well. The giants would be prone to injury and would be a lot less agile on an earth like planet.

Earthlings would be mighty mice on the giants low-grav planet, but we probably wouldn't be able to harm the giants if they were as big as pic related. Not without a "pistol" that was larger than our whole body. We'd be like spiders. Able to lift 10x our own body weight, but just as easy to squish by those giants.

I know you're doing a soft-science setting, but I thought this little bit of info might give yall something to think about.
>>
>>45202107
Maybe we're the pop culture factory race. Maybe the others never developed television in the way we did. Maybe our movies that crazy over the top shit for our satisfaction are considered an actual representation of who we are simply because the other races only considered that sort of thing to be for their own legends like their pantheons and their creation. Make us truly bigger than life and maybe only the insectoids don't understand what they are.
>>
>>Squidfolk/merfolks
What?
You gotta decide on one or the other.
>>
>>45202274
I think I just find this a bit SoD breaking, like it made sense in Macross because the aliens have no culture due to being an artificial race, here it just makes them sound a bit stupid
>>
>>45202250
>Not without a "pistol" that was larger than our whole body
That's nonsense. Also the comparison is pointless, spiders and mouses don't build weapons.
>>
>>45202154
No not actually taller. Just that we seem like grand people who's history is so amazing we've made many many animated stories and even filmed some of them. Then we hop of the transport and all they get us little ol' me which is pretty boring.
>>
>>45202274
>>45202357
I just dislike it because it screams HYF in a setting that really doesn't need it, it just seems unnecessary wanking for the sake of wanking.
What does it bring to the table?
If humanities schtick is already they are the little people, they don't need to be cultural juggernauts on top of it unless you just want to make a setting all about humanity

>>45202328
They were really discussed so there wasn't a decision made
>>
>>45202387
Oh, well that doesn't really change my answer

It's good as a one note joke like for maybe an insect otaku NPC but what's the point of having it afterwards?
And why would you have every race see it the same way?
It's humorous but not really good to make a major part of a setting
>>
>>45202391
>They were really discussed so there wasn't a decision made
They weren't really discussed autocorrect
>>
>>45202370

why is it nonsense? You give no reasons for this conclusion. And what does the intelligence of a mouse or spider have to do with anything?
>>
My feeling is that >>45202274 and >45202387 are what the Insectoid's "Human Otaku" would say about Humanity when they inevitably argued with their sisters about who's host species was better.

The truth of the matter is that the Insectoids make such claims about ANY species that they latch onto, convinced that they alone among all their sisters is correct.
>>
>>45202495
There's no reason humans wouldn't be able to build small weapons that hurt bigger creatures, specially considering they will be less dense.
>>
>>45202717

No reason? You didn't read that link at all did you? Never thought about the implications of F=M*A ?
>>
>>45202774
>what is rocket propulsion and recoilless weaponry
>>
>>45202774
If we can build easily portable weapons usable by infantry that can take out a fucking tank, or shoot through a concrete wall, we can build easily portable weapons usable by infantry that can hurt an organic creature multiple times our size, especially with future space magic in the mix.
>>
>>45202717
I can see this. We'd swinging retard huge swords cause the gravity would be lower or we could haul around anchorable cannons or some shit. Though i can also see this being game breaking.
>>
>>45202808
As >>45202882 pointed out, it's a soft sci-fi setting, human size weaponry that would work against giant aliens isn't too unbelievable
>>
>>45202808
>>45202882

you know that the giant in that pic is many many times larger than a tank right?

Future Space magic? Sure! Whatever. I acknowledged in my very first post that I was aware you're making a soft-science setting. I guess you don't even want to read about how this stuff would work in real life though. Yikes. Sorry!
>>
>>45203198
I'm sorry, what? Do you think that just because something is big, then it's invulnerable? Because if they're that big, then they're on a planet with a much lower gravity, meaning they're not going to be as dense as something on our planet, meaning they're not going to be as tough as a tank.
But no, keep stroking your cock, I'm sure you know SOOOO much more than us...
>>
>>45203198
It's more you were arguing that it wouldn't work and setting which does not need to match 1:1 with how it would really work, just what's balanced and doesn't break SoD
>>
>>45203268

Buildings are also much bigger than a tank (and not nearly as dense), and yet it takes quite a bit more fire power than what a whole infantry platoon carries to bring a building down without controlled detonation.

But I guess It was an ego thing? I mean, you know. The part where I posted relevant links that supported the info I was spreading? That was me taking credit for some one else so I could show I was smarter than internet strangers? Ok. Cool. I guess you're right?

Just calm down bro.

>>45203278

Sorry. I wasn't trying to argue anything. Just laying out the science.You can make any kind of scifi you want.
>>
File: 3fd.jpg (21 KB, 487x469) Image search: [Google]
3fd.jpg
21 KB, 487x469
>>45203198
>expecting me to take a TV Tropes link seriously on a scientific topic
>Implying I don't already know how the fucking square cube law works

Giant aliums in power armor are gonna be tough to fight with man portable weaponry. But without heavy armor? I don't even want to know what a 23rd century terran recoilless rifle would do to a mass of flesh that large.
>>
>>45203422
>>expecting me to take a TV Tropes link seriously on a scientific topic

so... now you're making an ad hominem attack? If you know what the square cube law is, then you wont find anything actually wrong about the tvtropes article.

Also, a 23rd century recoilless rifle? Those weapons stopped being man portable like 30 years ago, hence the switch to guided missiles.

But I've kinda already said like 3 times now. I KNOW this is a soft scifi thread. It's not like I'm saying you HAVE to acknowledge the real science. Pick and choose whatever you want!

This is like all those times when people want to argue that FTL doesn't result in time travel. In your scifi, it doesn't have to! Go ahead! FTL is a perfectly accepted break from reality. The thread STARTED by stating it was soft-scifi, so it's basically already acknowledging that every thing is space-magic. But don't go saying Reality is the one that got it wrong!
>>
File: recoillessrifle.jpg (49 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
recoillessrifle.jpg
49 KB, 450x300
>>45203773
>Those weapons stopped being man portable like 30 years ago
No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle

Don't run your mouth if you don't know the subject.
>>
>>45202357
>>45202391
>>45202694
Regarding the Culture thing, it's just because we have a bigger population to produce them. A planet with 1 billion inhabitants is going to produce more TV, radio, anime, and other entertainment bits than one with a population of 100 million.

Besides, you're also forgetting our corporations. You can bet that future Gopogle and Facebook are going to want to put servers on every planet and give each one access to our unregulated internet.
>>
>>45203924

Alright, I'll grant you the bit about recoilless rifles still being man-portable.
>>
>>45203952
What's to say that the giant aliens aren't doing the same thing though?
>>
>>45204138
You're coming across as contrary for the sake of being contrary.
>>
>>45204156
I'm sorry, that really wasn't my intention.
>>
>>45203952
And India has a bigger population in America but Bollywood movies aren't culturally dominating over here
Just because you produce a lot of cultural output doesn't mean it will be appealing to another culture, the marketing of such a thing is a lot more complex than that
Now I've already said why don't like that idea, it assumes they don't really have any major cultural forces their own, not to mention the size difference would actually mean humanity would have a disadvantage when it came to multicultural shows

I'm going to repeat I think this would work for a one off NPC but having it be humanity's thing would not work in the setting

>>45204156
He does have a point though, at least as far as the corporations go, they'd be doing the exact same thing and would already be situated in the galactic economy
>>
>>45204388
Not if they had a directed economy, or if they had cultural reasons to make smaller more mobile business enterprises. They could have something setup like Rogue Traders, where individuals and small dynasties are very powerful, but they don't amass the sprawl and influence of a corporation.

Also, did we ever settle on why humans were valuable in this scenario? I liked the psionic thing that was referenced.

>>45204245
No problem.
>>
>>45204478
>Also, did we ever settle on why humans were valuable in this scenario? I liked the psionic thing that was referenced.
No, not outside of fetish greentexts at least a, I was sort of assuming we were useful for miniaturization/electronic manufacturing and repair, also tech support/anything that would need an overseer on a computer. But our biggest advantage wasn't what service we could supply, but rather how cheap are labor was, and human would be nowhere near the food water or air another alien would, and while we were mostly worthless for normal sized manual labor without mechs, anything that could be done from a computer would save a lot of space given how small our computers would be
>>
>>45204478
>>45204388
For the record, I do like the idea of Humanity being media moguls, telecommunication specialists or perhaps professional gossips.

What I didn't want to lose was the dynamic of the Insectoids fangirling over all the galaxy's races more or less equally by having them focus their adoration solely on Humanity. I really liked the idea of having them be everyone's overenthusiastic, sometimes annoying techy kid sisters.
>>
>>45202250
So what exactly is it that makes you think that "we probably wouldn't be able to harm the giants if they were as big as pic related. Not without a "pistol" that was larger than our whole body"? Because just saying 'SQUARE CUBE LAW SQUARE CUBE LAW' isn't actually an argument.
>>
>>45204478
>>45204609
I did like the Psionic lock out thing. Makes Humans good hires for races that can be hurt with it, they'd want bodyguards who can't be disabled by thinking too hard at them.
>>
What started out as dressed up fetish development is turning into serious world building and game rule development. Never change /tg/.

Some of those green texts and that pastebin story were pretty hot though.
>>
>>45204845
>Some of those green texts and that pastebin story were pretty hot though.
Thanks, which part did you like?
>>
>>45204801
>>45204478
Adding another vote for humans as no sell psionics.
>>
>>45204994

From the greentext stories, I liked the earnest efforts of the humans landing them in sexy situations that only escalated as they went on.

From the pastebin story I enjoyed the cute flirtatious advances of the giant gal and some of the teasing was hot (even if there was no payoff).

The world building in both were not done too heavyhanded but said just enough. Also enjoyed any parts in either story that had chest related shenanigans.
>>
>>45204801
>>45205033

This sounds nice. Humans should just have general immunity (or at least significantly reduced effects) from some of the negative effects that larger races might experience to balance out some of the height and strength difference stuff. Also, would the giant races be smarter on average because bigger brains?
>>
>>45205212
Whales and elephants aren't particularly smart.
>>
>>45205212
I don't wanna get super deep into it but its how densely packed and how well connected the nerves are combined in general with how they communicate that determines intelligence. Humpback whales and elephants have much larger brains than us and they are definitely no where near as intelligent and only the elephant pass the mirror test.
>>
>>45199081
>probably cause we were trying to world build in a fetish thread
Then take it to /d/
>tiny humans big aliens
Oh look, it be Makuross
>>
>>45205246
I see what you're getting at, but these are humanoid creatures. Surely a few species would benefit intellectually from their larger size?
>>
>>45205212
>This sounds nice. Humans should just have general immunity (or at least significantly reduced effects) from some of the negative effects that larger races might experience to balance out some of the height and strength difference stuff.
Yeah, general immunity would allow them to be useful for negotiations and the like, but due to the size disparity wouldn't make them ZOMG OP KILLERZ

>Also, would the giant races be smarter on average because bigger brains?
No, see: >>45205246
>>
>>45205279
>Then take it to /d/
World building in a fetish thread, not world building a fetish setting

>Oh look, it be Makuross
It's been noted
>>
>>45199081
So how often do humans get raised as taboo delicacies that are savored and swallowed whole?

All the time, right?
>>
>>45205393
Fetish based worldbuilding still belongs on /d/.
>>
>>45199282
I think this whole thread is everything wrong with worldbuilding threads.
>>
>>45205422
Oh, you're just baiting
Please leave, that's not what this is about
>>
>>45205398
No, that's horrible

>>45205422
>>45205434
Please go shit post somewhere else
>>
>>45199081
>giant elves, harpies, plantgirls, squidgirls and spidergirls and tiny little humans eking out an existence in the crevices of their civilization
So this is just Karbo's Feylara thingy in space?
>>
>>45205474
>No, that's horrible
Realistically, it's bound to happen. Humanity will be seen as inherently lesser species simply because they're literally smaller and weaker than vermin.
>>
>>45205601
>Humanity will be seen as inherently lesser species simply because they're literally smaller and weaker than vermin.
Not really, as already pointed out humans are as durable as the larger races because density/space opera technobabble bullshit reasons

Plus vore wasn't even mentioned until you brought it up and no matter how much you push it I don't think your fetish would fit in the setting vorefag
>>
>>45205601
That doesn't logically follow. You just don't like the concept and you're shitposting.
>>
>>45205846
If we have cannibals IRL, why wouldn't we in a world where it's so easy to get away with it?
>>
>>45205673
>>45205846
Ignore him

Anyone got other ideas?
We've got a good outline for humanity, the avians, space elves, insectiods, and a bit on the plant people

Anyone ideas for the aquatic race(s) or other races/details you want covered?

We also need to think of names for these things
>>
>>45205861
Because not everything will want to consume thinking, feeling beings just because they can, and because it's not the focus of this thread anyway.
>>
>>45205861
Do you know anything about cannibalism? Moreover, opportunism is only one factor in diet. Assuming a Hobbsian world, and realpolitik to follow, consuming sapient life forms is going to be forbidden by and large unless you've got a hegemony that can do what it wants without recompense.

That's not what we're talking about. If you want to build that, go find a thread and build that.
>>
>>45205914
The plant people were psychic, right? I take it Humans are a huge boon to them.
>>
>>45205914
I'd proposed earlier in the thread that there might be an octopus-based race of big, roly-poly traders and epicureans.
>>
>>45205955
I thought psionics were ubiquitous, that was why human resistance was valuable.
>>
>trying this hard to keep fetishes out
>of your fetish-based setting

just why
>>
File: Guilds_of_Ravnica.png (398 KB, 1280x1244) Image search: [Google]
Guilds_of_Ravnica.png
398 KB, 1280x1244
Without going into the topic of "waifus", what guild of Ravnica would you join?
>>
>>45206033
Fire, Ave Prometheus
>>
>>45205955
I don't think they were psychic but they can be

>>45205967
Got more details on them?
I admit to not really knowing the philosopher they were based on
>>
>>45206009
I thought it was because they were rooted, or something like that? Having tiny people who you employ to run most of the ship might actually save them money since they can make smaller ships now.
>>
>>45205928
>opportunism is only one factor in diet
And an even stronger one in crimes.
>>
>>45199081
>Avians

SPACE AZTECS. Seriously, make everything based on the Aztec mythology. Have them have literal god-kings based on actual Aztec gods (whether it be power from technology or magic stuff).

Make them humanoid in nature, but covered in feathers and, wing-like arms capable of flight, and a bird like head (think a hawk or eagle like shape, almost reptilian or raptor like).

Going back to the theme of Aztecs, possibly make them into a warrior race, sacrificing people to their god-kings (or simply gods, if that's the route they should go). Give them the might is right philosophy. If you need an actual sci-fi reference for the ideology, think the Klingons.

Shit man. I need this race now.

>>45200403
What if all the lesser insects are male (ie drones, workers, in essence peasants) and all of the females are in higher positions? Not unlike colonies of ants or bee hives, maybe the females could be in very VERY few numbers. Perhaps even make them psychically active and have the females the only strong willed (or take it a step farther, only sentient?) gender of the race?

Shit man, how do i play this game?
>>
>>45206104
>Avians
>SPACE AZTECS

Eww, get your shitty kickstarter ripoff out of here.
>>
>>45206096
>I thought it was because they were rooted, or something like that? Having tiny people who you employ to run most of the ship might actually save them money since they can make smaller ships now.
That makes sense, too. Maybe the plants are the strongest teeps, but I like psionics being pervasive for everyone but humanity.
>>
>>45206144
Man, I have no idea what you're talking about. I think having literal Eagle warriors sounds amazing though.
>>
File: 1000px-Avian.jpg (93 KB, 1000x625) Image search: [Google]
1000px-Avian.jpg
93 KB, 1000x625
>>45206104
so basically the Avians in Starbound?
>>
>>45206169
>>45206170
Basically what that dude said. admittedly the idea IS cool and all, but thank chucklefish for ruining it
>>
>>45206075
It was really just a basic idea, but I had thought that, using octopi as a base, you could have a race of big, jolly merchants and tradesmen who enjoy the finer things in life, pursuing new foods, entertainments and toys to spend their space-bucks on.

They're good at most trades and hobbies, collecting various skills and experiences over the course of their long lives, and are expert multi-taskers, what with all the tentacles.
>>
>>45206096
>Having tiny people who you employ to run most of the ship might actually save them money since they can make smaller ships now.
The idea was they can uproot themselves but they prefer to be rooted. But that is actually an extremely good idea, I like it

>>45206104
Eh, we're already going for philosophical, humanitarian, and "enlightened" but a bit condescending for them, Space aztects don't really fit
>>
>>45205673
>humans are as durable as the larger races because density/space opera technobabble bullshit reasons
You mean fetish faggotry?
>>
>>45206170
Well that's disappointing. Are they at least done well?

>>45206204
Just throwing ideas around. After all, if the idea is they're winged men, then Bird-people favouring the more animal-like appearances should still be on the table.
>>
File: image.jpg (265 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265 KB, 1920x1080
>>45206200
>a race of big, jolly merchants and tradesmen who enjoy the finer things in life, pursuing new foods, entertainments and toys to spend their space-bucks on.
Oh, yeah I like that idea big friendly merchants are always a fun thing
I'm sorta thinking of an aquatic, multi armed version of the roving clans from endless legends now, at least appearance wise

>>45206316
They were called bird people at first but the current idea is more bird than person
>>
>>45206104
The problem is that the Insectoids don't have a culture of their own because they don't respect one another's ideas or opinions on anything. Making them all females that reproduce asexually ensures that they can actually remain a viable species while still hating each other.
>>
>>45206186
>Ruining it
How did they ruin it? By using it?
>>
Thinking about it a little more, what about basing it on the Thanagarian type of appearance but less human and more bird. Possibly make their wings into their arms, and give them jet packs and future-y looking Aztec power armour with jet packs and metal wings for vacuum environment combat stuff.

>>45206364
Just throwing ideas around.

What if instead of seeing it as each individual, each hive is a hivemind and they all share thoughts with their queen?
>>
I'm trying to piece together why exactly this thread is so horrible.

It's a split between really, really dumb stuff, and really, really, really, really boring ideas that are basically the really, really dumb stuff but dipped into a bucket of bleach in a bizarre attempt at sanitizing it.

If anything, it's the latter group that probably need to just roll over and die, because their attempts at taking the stupid stuff seriously are just awful. Like they've got only half of their brain working.
>>
>>45206376
Because I'm gay
>>
>>45206419
>Thanagarian type of appearance but less human and more bird
Honestly if you're going to go that route, why not just have them be out and out human expy's and have them venerate a particular bird / birds in general and pattern their equipment after that. You could go with an Egyptian thing with masks and the like.
>>
>>45206104
>Not unlike colonies of ants or bee hives, maybe the females could be in very VERY few numbers.
I thought it was the other way around for bees and ants, many many females but only a few males (and those usually don't live too long)

>>45206419
>Thinking about it a little more, what about basing it on the Thanagarian type of appearance but less human and more bird. Possibly make their wings into their arms, and give them jet packs and future-y looking Aztec power armour with jet packs and metal wings for vacuum environment combat stuff.
That actually sounds pretty good for a full on space opera setting, no reason we can't have more than one avian race right?

>What if instead of seeing it as each individual, each hive is a hivemind and they all share thoughts with their queen?
Could work, been done before a lot but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea, which probably have to get away from the "loners among their own kind but tries to be everyone else's best friend" idea, unless maybe you want to make the queens the otakus
>>
Honestly, what's wrong with fetishes in a fetish setting?
>>
>>45206564
You're the only one who wants it to be a fetish setting, the rest of us want no part of your magical realm
>>
Combine >>45206537 and >>45206419, then juxtapose them against the bird'ish avians and then you've got some decent tension between who is the better bird people.
>>
>>45206592
But it IS a fetish setting, the only reason this thread even exists is for someone to shoehorn their giantess and monstergirl fetishes into every aspect of a setting. To deny that is inane.
>>
>>45199081
>everyone is a giantess
Fetish shit
>chest tattoos
Fetish shit
>every species is just [animal] + girl
Fetish shit
>loners among their own kind and very fond of other races
Retarded shit
>>
>>45206537
>>45206549

What is your goal?
What are you even doing? Do you have any direction at all?

It seems like you're actively trying to steer this away from serving any function outside of a meaningless exercise of accepting any and all ideas, regardless of whether they actually contribute anything interesting.

No style, no practical use, it's just a setting being built for the sake of a setting. At least Catastrophe had some style it stuck too, even though that style was counterproductive towards any actual game.
>>
>>45206537
My only issue with that idea is the Egyptian thing. I feel like Egyptians mythology has been overdone to the point of feeling almost generic. Aztecs were fucking crazy in all regards and, if I recall correctly, certain kinds of birds grab their prey and pull them high into the air and drop them to kill them. Perhaps this aspect of birds being fucking metal could work into Aztec-like sacrificing rituals?

>>45206549
>I thought it was the other way around for bees and ants, many many females but only a few males
I don't actually know a lot about bees. If there are more females than males, then perhaps the hivemind could work off mind control?

Perhaps the insects' queen lives for a cliched amount of thousands and thousands of years, over the period of time her mental abilities eventually weaken. Over her lifespan, she'll eventually birth another queen and from that point until her death she imparts the new queen with their hive's history, wisdom, and whatever else seems important for a queen to know. Then once the baby queen grows large and strong enough to surpass the old queen's mental power, she burrows inside of her mother and eats her from the inside out.
>>
>>45206666
I'm having fun, megasatan. I'm sorry that makes you sad.
>>
>>45205307
So does that mean everyone else would be retards compared to us?
>>
>>45206666
What's your goal, mate? If you have a problem with someone's idea, debate its purpose and viability.
>>
>>45206684
I'm not married to the Egyptian thing, the Thanagarians just always reminded me of them so that's why I brought it up. The Aztec angle does present some fun opportunities for lore and the like, so I'm okay with going that route.

>>45206707
Not necessarily. I don't think that serves the setting, but if something like that /was/ included it might make more sense to play up humans as better natural multitaskers.

You could do nature / nurture with that, too, due to the caste system we've referenced. Aliens are unitaskers, more single task oriented, because their social-caste structure rewards / emphasizes that.
>>
>>45205398
>>45205474
>>45205601
>>45205673
>>45205846
The guys who write The Titan Empire played it totally straight, for sci-fi purposes and not fetish purposes.

Two of the human characters were abducted from and used as food at an Insectoid ceremony (where Titans were also present and expected to take part in the consumption of the human delicacies). They only survived because the exmilitary earthling human concealed a knife and had just enough energy (after all of the sedative drugs) to slit the throat of the Titan that tried to eat him. When the incident made it to the Titan media it was instrumental in the campaign for Human citizenship in the Empire.

http://thetitanempire.com/chapter-thirty-eight-the-feast-of-the-overseer-part-three/
>>
>>45206602
That could work, one somewhat warlike space egyptian/aztect bird people, one "peaceful" but controlling race of more avian sapients at odds with each other politically

>>45206666
>it's just a setting being built for the sake of a setting.
Yes? That's pretty much it exactly. I like world building, it's fun. And even if the end product is it usable I can take some of the ideas and adjust them for another setting that I can run at a later date

>>45206684
>I feel like Egyptians mythology has been overdone to the point of feeling almost generic.
A valid point, I like the Egyptian look just for the atheistic though, is looking someone Egyptian fine as long as they're mostly aztec religion wise?

>Perhaps the insects' queen lives for a cliched amount of thousands and thousands of years, over the period of time her mental abilities eventually weaken. Over her lifespan, she'll eventually birth another queen and from that point until her death she imparts the new queen with their hive's history, wisdom, and whatever else seems important for a queen to know. Then once the baby queen grows large and strong enough to surpass the old queen's mental power, she burrows inside of her mother and eats her from the inside out.
Workable, but I'm still fond of the idea of pretty much every station having a lone bug person or three that is fascinated by the other race's culture
>>
>>45206774
So many AutoCorrect errors, I should proofread more
>>
>>45206774
>>I feel like Egyptians mythology has been overdone to the point of feeling almost generic.
>A valid point, I like the Egyptian look just for the atheistic though, is looking someone Egyptian fine as long as they're mostly aztec religion wise?
Same boat on jiving on the Egyptian aesthetic, however if you check out some of the Aztec religious paraphenalia and trappings you may be pleasantly surprised.

They do more jungle animals than north african, obviously, but there are similarities in how they structure their ceremonial dress.
>>
>>45206774
>I'm still fond of the idea of pretty much every station having a lone bug person or three that is fascinated by the other race's culture

I am too. It's not often you get a race of bug-aliens that isn't evil, disgusting, or disgustingly evil. It's also not often that you get a race of bug-aliens that isn't a hivemind. The idea of a race of tinker-otaku insectoids that hate each other and love everyone else is definitely something I'm going to take from this thread and use myself.
>>
File: TOTES NOT FETISH SHIT.jpg (4 MB, 3200x2560) Image search: [Google]
TOTES NOT FETISH SHIT.jpg
4 MB, 3200x2560
>>45206768
>The Titan Empire
>look it up
>first thing I get is this
3/10, your bait is weak but you made me waste my time.
>>
>>45206838
Admittedly don't know much about the Aztec mythology, was real big into Egyptian though when I was little (mostly due to age of mythology and a bunch of world mythology books that come to think of it tended to skip the Americas), I'll have to read up on it

>>45206882
You pretty much summarizes why I liked them too, it's an interesting take

>>45206900
I just googled it and all I could find was a clash of clans clone so I figured if it was a legit sci-fi series it was probably a fairly poor one
>>
>>45206774
>lone bug person or three that is fascinated by the other race's culture
That could still be a thing. What if (read for science fiction technobabble?) each hive were genetically encoded with their hive's mental imprint and so they can 'hear' their queen's will millions of trillions of light years away.

On top of that, having that feature stapled into them then could allow for some of the "only science, no ethics" type factions to want to abduct one of these queens to understand how this ability of theirs works.

>>45206882
What I wrote above could work for your angle. Possibly this species could be scattered across the galaxy as we know it, with their drones dotting across the galaxy. Allowing the drones to be on their own but still have them connected to the hivemind would simulate individuality. Each colony could be around one per every 4000 systems (maybe less) and each be quite unique and as hateful with each other as they are unique.

>>45206774
>A valid point, I like the Egyptian look just for the atheistic though, is looking someone Egyptian fine as long as they're mostly aztec religion wise?

Pic related as power armour built more for bird-shaped humanoids doesn't make your naughty bits glow with awe?
>>
>>45206900
>expecting writers to be able to into visual art
DX Machina's renders are cringey, I know, but the writing is basically the best you can expect from the genre AND is incredibly relevant to this thread. Read the chapter I posted like a short story. Or if you want some frame of reference read Physics, Exile, or Nomad from the beginning.
>>
>>45206944
One option that I was considering was that in the distant past, the Insectoids actually had a queen and may have been a hivemind, or at least had a very closely-knit society. they were very technologically advanced, but their last great science project backfired catastrophically and destroyed their homeworld and their queen along with it.

With their homeworld, queen and hivemind gone, all Insectoids instinctually hate and blame each other for their loss, forcing them to focus their scientific skills and affections onto other races.
>>
Things I like so far:
>the bugs are halfway between giant and human size.
>Bugs work as mechanics and tinkerers because they can fit in small spaces.
>Aztec/Mayan imagery and themes for the birds.
>The squids are these jovial exosuit-wearing bastards that are always trying to sell you shit.
>>
>>45207050
So are you OP or just some dude championing the thread's idea?

Also, assuming you're the OP, do you have any hivemind races in your world? I feel like every good sci-fi needs something of everything in it ,especially hiveminds since it's the polar opposite of us.

On another note which also assumes you're OP, are you planning to do anything table-toppy with this?
>>
>>45206882
>>45206926
Personally, I find it to be super boring and retarded one hat species style of worldbuilding that leaves exactly one personality available to the whole fucking species.
>>
>>45206689
>>45206774
>fun

You're claiming "fun" as a shield to prevent criticism. Now, all that does is make it clear that you haven't actually thought this through and have no intention of doing so.

So, why are you getting upset when people correctly identify what you're doing as meaningless and nothing more than training in how to mismanage a setting until it's a bloated trainwreck? Your "fun" is, without mincing words, stupid, and rather than understanding that and seeing how you might improve the process, you revel in just how stupid you can be.

It's really a simple choice, of either stop putting on airs and simply wear your dunce hats, or fix your process.

Sadly, without even waiting for you response, I have a feeling that you're simply going to choose the third option, of continuing on this path and becoming a joke for all those around you.
>>
>>45207009
Everything about that picture is your standard giantess bullshit and you know it. It even describes itself as pandery romance wish fulfillment bullshit.
>>
>>45206944
I sorta like >>45207050's idea better, but that's just me

>Pic related as power armour built more for bird-shaped humanoids doesn't make your naughty bits glow with awe?
Wouldn't quite put it like that, but yeah you've sold me on it

>>45207118
I'm the op not him, but there isn't really a race filling the hive mind role so far, you have an idea for one or do you think the insects should be one?
I'm not against either but I just like the otaku insect idea

>On another note which also assumes you're OP, are you planning to do anything table-toppy with this?
At the moment? No, mostly just using this as an ideas thread, if you want to use some or all of the ideas here, or even want to put your own spin on it, go ahead

>>45207175
While that is a valid point, I was thinking more these would be the default, like how when you think elves you think aloof, it varies from individual to individual but that's the default so to speak

And now that I'm thinking on it more, it does make them a bit one note, you have a suggestion to make them more varied?
>>
>>45207248
>>45207175
The way I see it, they were a hivemind that only had one hat until recently. With the loss of the 'true' queen keeping the species psychically locked down, they're free to pursue their own interests.

They tend to throw themselves into their work, what that work is depends on the individual insect.
>>
>>45207118
Not the OP actually, just >>45206882, doing a little brainstorming. I suppose that the way I worded my post might have made it seem like I was.

>>45207175
I can see your point, but the Insectoids might have a deep-seated drive to ingratiate themselves into other species if they destroyed their own people. The premise is really only a foundation on which to build further. It isn't all there is to the species.
>>
>>45207271
That's a good way of handling it I think, would give them a reason to be like that as well as for them going off in their own direction
The otaku thing is mostly just because that's what they've always done, but now they are making their own choices and developing in different directions
>>
>>45207319
>I can see your point, but the Insectoids might have a deep-seated drive to ingratiate themselves into other species if they destroyed their own people. The premise is really only a foundation on which to build further. It isn't all there is to the species.
That works aswell
>>
>>45207233
The second post you linked is me. I also said >>45206725.
I stand my the idea that if you have a problem with someone's stuff, explain why and let them defend their idea. Without criticism we can't make something better.

That being said, please point out any flaws you see in my shit beyond it being boring. I'd like to know what you think could spice up the ideas or whatever man. Just quit being a lamer.

>>45207248
Are you keeping record of what's been decided on, or letting the thread pass as it goes?
>>
>>45207363
>Are you keeping record of what's been decided on, or letting the thread pass as it goes?
A bit of both but more so the latter actually, I making notes of specific ideas I like but most of the broad strokes I'm just committing to memory
>>
File: 1447898227924.jpg (77 KB, 674x670) Image search: [Google]
1447898227924.jpg
77 KB, 674x670
>>45207363
>That being said, please point out any flaws you see in my shit beyond it being boring.

Well, at least you recognize that much.

Hopefully you'll one day realize that your single-minded efforts but without any fruitful direction are the reason they're so dull.

Really, what's your goal? If it's to waste your time you're certainly going to be winning every prize in that category, but have you considered actually being constructive, rather than just acting the part?

Or is there something else you're hoping to accomplish? It doesn't seem like making a playable or novel setting is high on your list of priorities, so what exactly is your invisible goal that you're so keen on hiding?

Should we start guessing?
>>
>>45207271
>The way I see it, they were a hivemind that only had one hat until recently
By that logic, they should individually be hyperspecialized if they formed a highly advanced and sapient hivemind. Also, how do you "lose" a hivemind?
>With the loss of the 'true' queen keeping the species psychically locked down,
If one individual was able to "lock down" an ENTIRE FUCKING SPECIES, I don't expect the rest of them to even be as capable as animals. The whole race should've starved to death from inaction if ALL the thinking was done by a single fucking individual.

Not only is it clear you're just using this as an excuse to justify boring writing, but it's not very well thought out at all.
>>
>>45207481
Calm down, so maybe we should add in some bits from Sword of the Stars.

Maybe the original Queen was closer to 40K's Emperor. Big in size, influence, and psionic ability. Everyone had to work for her.

But she's dead now. And so are all the ones who were aiming to replace them. Their 'Empire' is shattered, you're just running into the individuals of it now.
>>
>>45207571
Individuals might not be the best word for it. How about independent operators? Now that the huge government they had to listen to is gone, they're free to pursue their own goals with abandon.
>>
>>45207571
>Maybe the original Queen was closer to 40K's Emperor. Big in size, influence, and psionic ability. Everyone had to work for her.

What if she was big from assfat.
>>
File: read.png (455 KB, 494x569) Image search: [Google]
read.png
455 KB, 494x569
>>45207240
>Everything about that picture
The chapter I posted has nothing to do with that picture. The picture is actually from one of the spin-off stories.

There's a lot of fanservice in Titan, but to claim that one image somehow summarizes the entire setting is foolish.

Much like this thread, Titan started as a vehicle for fetishes, and rather quickly became a lot more serious when the writers realized its potential for interesting storytelling and worldbuilding.
>>
>>45207571
>>45207590
I like these ideas
Lots of mini hive minds, lots of "hive minds" of one too, that's a neat take on the idea of an insect race
>>
>>45207646
If you went this route, you could have the Insectoids forming into small colonies or collectives working together, some of these being centered around a specific host species or particularly charismatic or capable person. In this way, the Insectoids don't hate each other on an individual basis, but could possibly hate other insectoids that don't belong to their own group.
>>
>>45207467
Jeeze dude. What's with the hate?
>>
>>45207363
>please point out any flaws you see in my shit beyond it being boring
Not him, but there's really nothing holding all these different ideas together beyond "giantess space waifu wat do". The ideas being pitched are meandering, shallow, and have no really driving base concept behind them (again, beyond "giantesses are muh fetish").

Any setting worth anything has a driving force behind. A central theme to build off. The only one this one has is someone's fetish material.
>>
>>45207751
>some of these being centered around a specific host species or particularly charismatic or capable person.
Ooh, I like that, could end up with cults of personality really easy

>>45207788
I seen pretty much his exact same posts before, he either has the worlds most autistic hateboner for world building or is a troll who specializes in attacking brainstorming threads
Just ignore him, you can find many of his posts word for word in archived world building threads

>>45207853
Admittedly it has just become a threat of sci-fi races ideas, but I'm pretty fine with that, I mostly made this thread to see what interesting ideas could come off of the original thought
I don't really care so much about making a definite setting as I do about making ideas for setting
>>
>>45207571
It makes no fucking sense for a species to be so vulnerable to goddamn extinction like that. Even ants have failsafes against such bullshit.
>>
>>45207853
Wow there cowboy. The shit he was responding to was specifically the sci-fi Aztec Bird People stuff, which is the stuff I suggested.

The blatant fetish stuff I'm not getting behind or trying to defend.
>>
>>45207910
>And autocorrect is fucking me over again
>>
>>45207931
You're assuming they've always been that way, it could easily be the end result of one hive rising to power before they achieved spaceflight and dominating the whole planet
>>
>>45208000
That also makes zero sense. Evolution doesn't just randomly give you magical powers one day on a whim.
>>
>>45207788
It's not hate, it's a question.

I like to understand things, and from what I understand, you guys are being utterly ineffectual in your professed purpose.

So, it's either you explain the direction you intend to take this, or admit you're aimless and are simply wasting your time by being stupid but pretentious, or reveal the secret, sinister purpose behind all of this.
>>
>>45208041
I believe the proper American term might be "shooting the shit"? A lot of these ideas are good starting points.

I for one have already stolen stuff and used it for a game I'm running right now. It's helped me, so it's a good thread for that.
>>
>>45208041
Well, from where I stood ( and I'm not everyone in this thread ) I was trying to give some decent ideas of space races that fit the bill of OP's list.

Just thought it could be cool. I skipped over the fetish stuff.
>>
>>45208032
>space opera
>psionic hive mind
They didn't arbitrarily have it one day, they've always had it and they've always been a species of hive minds, one hive mind in particular just won and subsumed the others

>>45208041
>It's not hate, it's a question
Your wording and actions make me doubt that but giving you the benefit of the doubt, as I've said before there isn't really a goal of the world building for world building's sake, spitting out interesting ideas and seeing how they'd work together or own their own.
And all things considered, it seems to be succeeding pretty well at that goal
>>
>>45207945
>The shit he was responding to was specifically the sci-fi Aztec Bird People stuff
And I'm referring to everything in this thread. Your shit specifically is boring because it's not only just a direct rip of a different game, but it's the lazy as shit [RANDOM FANTASY RACE] + [POOR CARICATURE OF ANCIENT CULTURE] that's too fucking common and /tg/ seems to think is novel.
>>
>>45208175
I guess it depends on how deep you want to go with it. I mean, I didn't mean to rip it off, only to borrow the interesting shit and turn it into something cool.

Also which game did I rip off?
>>
>>45208087
>>45208103
>>45208155
By your own admittance, you guys are just aimless and dull, attached to this idea with neither the noble purpose of trying to be productive nor some nefarious ulterior motive.

You are just guys who genuinely think this idea isn't a throwaway mindfart. You branded yourselves with these ideas, and you somehow don't feel sheepishly ashamed to be associated with them. Perhaps even proud.

Great. Carry on.

In all honesty, if being dull and putting so much effort into wasting your time are your only vices, then that's fine.

Though, I think I might've actually had more respect for you if you revealed your secret scheme.
>>
>>45208219
>I didn't mean to rip it off
What I meant to say was that I didn't mean for the race to directly rip off the Aztecs, simply use a lot of their distinct culture as a baseline to build upon.

And, once again, I saw avian in OP's list and thought that it could be cool to have literal Eagle Knights.
>>
Speaking of the Plant people, what's their deal? Why are they in space? What do they trade for or need that has them traveling the space lanes?

>>45208255
Nah, I can see why you'd think it would look cool. Besides, it's helping pin things down. You'll get more to work with if you help out.
>>
I have to pass out, but I hope to see the thread still alive and kicking come morning.

Night folks!
>>
We still have a few things to do.

>Name the main species
There are more in the galaxy, but these are the ones who really push themselves

>Name and Methods of space travel

>Type of Economy and trade goods
The underwater people were mentioned as good merchants. Are they just hyper capitalists, or loners in the galactic cosmos who go all out?

>Coloration and noticeable fashion accessories
Having plumes and leaves probably changes what they wear to a great extreme
>>
>>45208255
Don't remember much of Starbound, I dropped the game when I realized it was going to be shit, but I thought they were mostly for the Aztec aesthetics

>>45208393
Never really discussed them, you get ideas?

>>45208554
Same here, see ya in the morning

>>45209082
Those are good things to answer tomorrow
>>
>>45209576
Maybe the plant people are Humanity's client race? I can't think of anything they could make that wouldn't clash in some way with their nature thing, so maybe they're the only ones humans trust 100% of the time? Humans would get an inexpensive bodyguard and they'd get to go to other planets.
>>
>>45203374
Buildings don't contain blood, nerves or vital organs. If they did, killing a building would be much easier than demolishing it.
>>
>>45206364
Maybe their reproduction works on a queen of the hill type of system where the queen releases pheremones that keep the workers from reproducing. Once they became capable of surviving without the hive, the optimal strategy was to get far away from any other bugs to maximize their own chances of becoming a queen.
>>
>>45206364
>viable species
>hates each other
This still makes zero fucking sense and is just downright retarded.
>>
>>45210555
It makes about as much sense as a species that's permanently affixed to the ground achieving sapience and civilization.

Which is to say it makes none at all
>>
>>45210555
Consensus now seems to be that they didn't always hate each other.
>>
File: Appearance_of_Dennis.png (363 KB, 922x689) Image search: [Google]
Appearance_of_Dennis.png
363 KB, 922x689
>The BBEG is another human and you have to fight him on someone's back like in the spongebob movie
>>
>>45211378
Nah but i can imagine 2 jacked dudes with john carter syndrome having an epic fight that no one wants to get in the way of with the backdrop being its actually hilarious due to their size like the antman train fight.
>>
>>45210555
That's why I'm saying about the queens. Naturally, they would live in a hive with only one queen, and if the queen died, the chemical signals would turn one of the workers into the new queen. It was a stable system for most of their history because the workers were all closely related and loners were likely to die if they left the hive, but once they had the option of living among other species the evolutionary pressures completely inverted as the loners could quite happily survive among aliens and have a much better chance of reproducing than the ones who stayed with the hive.
>>
>>45211713
Replace chemical with psionic signal and I think it would work better
>>
Sounds about right.
>>
So the bugs seem about done, at least in the grand scale of things.

I actually have a question about Humanity. Is there an order or laws about who goes into space? How easy is it to do so?
>>
File: salad steak.jpg (10 KB, 282x310) Image search: [Google]
salad steak.jpg
10 KB, 282x310
This thread has had 210 posts without straying particularly far into fetishbait.

Just posting to say good job, everyone.
>>
>>45213422
For some reason I can imagine that it's pretty easy for Humans to get into space, so much so that it surprises the other species somewhat. The only other species with as high a percentage of its population traveling the cosmos are the fat octopus traders and the Avian paladins.
>>
>>45213422
>Is there an order or laws about who goes into space?
I wasn't really thinking there would be one, outside of maybe something like a no fly list

>How easy is it to do so?
I figured it'd be about the same as hopping on a plane and in system, longer trips would be more like sea voyages though
>>
>>45214559
Actually come to think of it, humanity would have an easier time due to their lower weight wouldn't they?
>>
>>45214626
I can't be arsed to dig it up on my computer since i'm already in bed but google "/tg/ earth is a heavy world." It shows how we're basically in the upper echelons for high gravity worlds but still able to achieve space flight using conventional means. Something like how using the most fuel efficient nozzle, fuel, materials, aerodynamics, and weight management we can achieve orbit using 94% fuel which leaves us just BARELY enough for maneuvers and reentry. Any higher gravity or any denser atmosphere and it just wouldn't be possible. We are the space capable heavyworlders of conventional rocket science.
>>
>>45214709
That's another good point, many of our worlds would be unusable for other races not just because the gavity would crush them but also because they couldn't get out without something other than rockets

Which reminds me, anyone got ideas for FTL?
>>
>>45215506
No idea why but i always imagined FTL like water.
It begins with creating a tube connecting here and there out of the fabric of reality or whatever. You compress the middle of the tube but leave the furthest ends flared. You enter the tube and because space time is now like a funnel you "shrink" into it.
Now here's where it gets soft sci rather than hard sci: space funnels into it like water into a funnel. The fun bit? Water and space don't like being compressed it makes them gain speed and pressure do to the back pressure being constantly focused into a smaller area. While your "small" ship rides this compressed space the tube itself contracts making the distance between 2 points shorter while simultaneously making you move faster than the compressed space you're riding would normally allow and making the trip shorter overall. When you pop out the other end you're riding a secondary flare outwards decompressing the flowing space bringing you back to normal size. In my shit theory you wouldn't really feel any crazy speed but a gentle motion forward for a second then you're where you wanted to be and the tube is smaller than atomic scale so objects in the path of your flight shouldn't hinder you.
>>
>>45211713
That's not jot anything works. You are wrong on almost every fucking level.
>>
>>45213488
>without straying particularly far into fetishbait.
Nigga, it STARTED as fetish bait
>>
>>45216207
Nooo it started in a fetish bait thread but if you check it out the actual conversation stayed relatively pure amidst the fetish poster in the fetish thread. We made this thread to continue in the same scheme of "lets actually fluff this shit into a legit non-ERP setting" we even had one of our first posts be a check to make sure this wasn't purely ERP shit. Hell we even got most of the idiots claiming this was fetish no matter what because it happens to be a universe of size differences to fuck off.
>>
>>45215817
>>45215506
Why not all of them?

The plant people can open psyonic wormholes, but have a hard time in them.

Humans use the miniaturization system to make even more size jokes.

Avians have wormholes. The system that makes them is usually prettied up and ornate like. Features the highest security.
>>
>>45216826
Actually, it sounds like most people are just calling it pointless/boring. It's not bad because it's fetishy, it's bad because it's nothing else.

So far, you've taken something dumb, and turned it into something overly complex and dull, which might actually be worse.
>>
>>45217297
What would help, in your opinion?
>>
>>45216190
I didn't know you were an authority on the reproductive habits of psionic space bugs.
>>
>>45216826
I don't even know what faggy other thread you're talking about, but this one us clearly fetish bullshit. It has no other creative drive beyond making an inexplicable space fantasy setting that falls apart with any sort of scrutiny, all centered around your shitty giantess fetish.
>>
>>45217524
Using the LEL IT'S SPACE MAGIC U NERD XDDDD excuse is a pretty awful method of worldbuilding, especially when you're trying to come up with a rational explanation and default to SPESS MAJICKS because you're unable to strung together a coherent thought.
>>
>>45213488
Welcome to /tg/, where we don't let our kinks prevent us from getting shit done.
>>
>>45217789
Well, then maybe you can help us out with the Plant people. What's a good and cool backstory for them and what is their relationship to Humanity?
>>
>>45218138
>where we don't let our kinks prevent us from getting shit done.
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Gud joek.
>>
>>45218149
>what is their relationship to Humanity?
See, this is part of the problem. Despite being the size of insects, every single alien species out there is STILL determined to orbit humanity's collective microdick like the bad parody of itself Mass Effect turned into. Why is a species that needs specialized equipment just to not get crushed underfoot so important to so many people?
>>
>>45218457
Well, those would be the ones who want to hang around Humans or would like to make business deals with them.

But, what is the plant people's goal for space then?
>>
>>45218457
>every single alien species out there is STILL determined to orbit humanity's collective microdick like the bad parody of itself Mass Effect turned into.
I do agree that that is definitely something to avoid, but I haven't got the impression that is happening so far. Most of the stuff we talked about how one race regards another applies equally to all (avian's superiority complex, insect's otakuness, ect). We haven't really nailed down the exact relationship between various races, much less between them and humanity, well except for that "humanity are cultural juggernauts" idea, but I'm just regarding that because I don't like it.
If something does look to be problematic could you be specific?
>>
>>45217742

What scrunity does it fall apart under? In what ways is this bad? If you think there are problems then say what they are so they can be fixed.
>>
>>45209082
Back from work, lets see
>>Name the main species
I'm absolutely shit at this, we could use avaians/insectiods and say that's what the translation devices translate them to/they're actual names aren't that easy to pronounce, but thats a bit cheap in my opinion and would raise the question of how the translations work

>>Name and Methods of space travel
Like I said, bad at names, but I've always been fond of using rapid "short ranged" teleportation for a way of cheating lightspeed

>>Type of Economy and trade goods
Space bucks [again, need better name], good would depend on race, but things like plantpeople producing agricultural products seems self evident

>The underwater people were mentioned as good merchants. Are they just hyper capitalists, or loners in the galactic cosmos who go all out?
I was thinking somewhat like a mix of rogue traders and seminomadic merchant camps, each ship/fleet is owned by one clan and they travel from place to place buying and selling whatever will bring a profit

>>Coloration and noticeable fashion accessories
>Having plumes and leaves probably changes what they wear to a great extreme
Well, there's the idea about lowcut stuff for elves, but for the avians I kinda like the idea their dress looks vaguely religious
I'm actually drawing a blank for the plantfolk though, they may not be big on clothes depending on how much of them contains chlorophyll
>>
>>45222036
>Necroing a dead thread
Nobody cares. Take your fetish garbage to /d/
>>
>>45222059
You do going by how much attention you're giving it
>>
>>45222151
That was my first post in the thread, nigger
>>
>>45216207
Previous OP here. I will admit it started as fetish bait. Kind of surprised you guys did something with it.

Have minigiantess.
>>
>>45223534
>admitting to being a shitposter
Kill urself my man
>>
>>45222036
I like the traveling colony idea.

Is there a government on the home world the clans would rather ditch?

Do they share planets with other aliens often since they can just claim the oceans?
>>
>>45223852
>Is there a government on the home world the clans would rather ditch?
Eh, I'd say no, but that's just personal preference, if you lean heavily on the rogue trader aspect most of them may technically be working for their government to some degree, like being officially sanctioned to broker diplomatic trading deals (but limited to what they can carry on board)

But on a whole I just like the idea of them being semi nomadic traders (or at least the ones that leave their territory most often)

>Do they share planets with other aliens often since they can just claim the oceans?
Hadn't considered that, but I like it, planet bound ones probably have huge ocean vessels
>>
>>45224043
They probably need a planet or two with a stable population to keep churning out medicines and stuff. Add in the Quarian thing about doing good for the group.

It would also explain why'd they join up with interplanetary murderhobos. Even if they lose money on the initial deal, they can still aim for reaping the rewards of making medicines and other breakthroughs.
>>
>>45223733
>implying fetishposting is as bad as shitposting
>>
>>45224749
>implying there's a difference
>>
>>45199487
4chan is a collective self-delusion.
>>
One last bump in case anyone has any more ideas
>>
>>45227278
To be honest, the only ones that really need some dev work is the giant elves. Everyone else has some nice things to work with.
>>
>>45227323
Well don't they have the Hellenistic caste thing?
Or do you think it needs expansion/a different idea?

Eh, I'm about to go to bed so I probably won't be able to suggest much for the next couple of hours, but if you got any ideas I'd love to hear them
>>
>>45227363
Wait, I thought the birds were getting the Helenism thing? I understood some of the tattoo things, but I thought it was just a surface thing.
>>
>>45227323
Nice bland things, yeah.
>>
>>45227385
The guy who suggested the Hellenistic idea said he'd rather have it go to the elves but wouldn't complain either way, but after that the conversation continued with it being the elves's things

The birds were either philosophical and humanitarian, if a little condescending to those who wouldn't follow their guidance or aztecs in space depending on which version you went with
>>
>>45227471
>High and Mighty
Still makes me laugh. But I'm wonder if they proselytize with the other races.

I just think we need a few items they want from each other. While there would always be people who want to meet aliums, governments and companies who pay for the ships will need a return on their investment.
>>
>>45227568
>I just think we need a few items they want from each other. While there would always be people who want to meet aliums, governments and companies who pay for the ships will need a return on their investment.
Well if nothing else the squids probably trade a little bit of everything, the insects probably trade some heavy machinery, humans electronics/miniaturized components, not sure about the others, you could always have plantfolk trade plant products if you want to be a bit cliche
>>
>>45213488
I don't get HOW it could be a fetish.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.