[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Its occured to me: Yahweh is basically a Lovecraftian god. A
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 19
Its occured to me: Yahweh is basically a Lovecraftian god. A giant, unknowable and implacable god that is so big that he is beyond the very comprehension of man. His angels defy all logic and physics, his very presence terrifies anyone nearby. Further more, hes far beyond understanding to the point of contradicting and confusing. He doesn't follow logic. Hes basically a Eldritch abomination that thinks humans are neat and worth not acidentally obliterating.
>>
>>44365844
anon pls
>>
>>44365844
You could say the same about pretty much any deity
Any god from any religion can be redesigned into an Old One
>>
>>44365882
Not really. For example the Greek gods were dicks but they were dicks in a very human manner.
>>
>>44365882
It's more applicable to monotheistic faiths desu. For example the greek gods are very human
>>
>>44365882
The Norse and Greeks dont really fit. Shinto doesn't either, nor does Hinduism.
>>
File: 1385757943224.jpg (190 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
1385757943224.jpg
190 KB, 1067x800
>>44365844
>>
>>44365844
>Hes basically a Eldritch abomination that thinks humans are neat and worth not acidentally obliterating.

>thinks humans are neat

Well, you just ruined your own shitty little hypothesis. Human just happen to be there and get in the way for the Old Ones. Yahweh goes out his way to involve himself with his own creations.

>b-but Nyarlathotep!

You don't know shit and the people who deal with his thousand different forms don't know shit about why he does what he does so don't dare assume you know why, that's against the idea.

Also, you're just completely wrong. Yahweh created and loves humanity. Yahweh, and we're talking monotheistic creator god here, not whatever he might have been before he got big, is an infinite, eternal omni-everything supernatural intelligence. Lovecraft's gods are not this, they real, physical, alien creatures humanity mistakes for gods, because we'll worship anything bigger than us. Jesus Christ basically exists, I think, for God to relate to and work and move with humanity nice and easily, to establish the new covenant, etc. etc. Jesus is God, one angle, one aspect of a whole, but he IS human. He suffers and dies. But all of it God does is for humanity's benefit as Yahweh himself is far too divinely over the top to just come down and do shit. Mundanity has its limits.

>angels are le eldritch abominations!

Drop this meme, please. Angels are scary, angels are weird, but angels are beautiful and awe-inspiring. Angels are otherworldly, they are divine, purely so, which is the closest God can or feels comfortable going with til Jesus happens. They aren't slavering tentacle monsters, they're amalgamations of men and animals, winged entities found throughout middle eastern mythology, the weirdest are probably the Ophanim wheel-eye guys, but the rest are humanoids with animal features mixed in.

Fucking Hell, OP.
>>
>>44366632
*tips tabernacle*
>>
>>44366632
This.

May the Peace of Christ be with you, gentlemen.
>>
>cue butthurt idiots who lack self awareness hard and take any insult toward christfaggotry as a personal insult shitposting fedora memes
>>
File: tip.gif (3 MB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
tip.gif
3 MB, 512x288
>>44366703
>>
>>44366632
Yeah yeah, tell it to the judge faggot.

Why do I get the feeling that if this was the year 200, "Yahweh" would be replaced with some god from antiquity? All your post basically says is "oy vey, you fuckin triggered me by insulting muh diety now!"

Fucking hell, people who think you know all. In every generation. Oblivious to the irony that you are repeating past retards.
>>
>>44366703
OP, just accept you're wrong and that your neat little cute revolutionary idea is woefully misinformed, now go read a book.
>>
JHWH is the motherfucking universe.
How fucking hard is this to grasp?
>>
>>44366770
I'm not OP, I'm just commenting on modern cancer.

>make wild statement about old gods from x year
>whatever, it's fantasy

>make wild statement about contemporary abrahamic shit
>WHOOOOOOAAAAAA DUDE LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT X, I'M SO TRIGGERED RIGHT NOW

Don't be a meme.
>>
>>44366761
Calm down, anon, I'm not even Christian. OP's just a misinformed, ignorant idiot who thinks he's thought up the coolest thing ever.

I mean, what's your argument here? You don't agree with me saying stuff that's true? This shit's all found in a single book that's rather widely available. You can go to a building and get it read to you for free, too.
>>
>>44365844
It's Yahweh or the Highway!
>>
>>44366816
I still don't see your argument. OP is misinformed about a topic, I attempted correcting it, you get mad, why? He's wrong, he's actually wrong. What's your deal? You seem just as mad as you seem to think I am.
>>
>>44366818
plot twist: I was once an aspiring pastor myself and consider both of you to be full of shit, so feel free to hop off the condescension any time before I really doubt you're gonna school me, bruh

I would say that yahweh is closer to OP's idiocy than yours, though.
>>
>>44366796
>JHWH is the motherfucking universe.

So he's Azathoth The Outer God?
>>
>>44366886
School me then. I mean, if all you're gonna do is call me a faggot and move on, then you're a faggot, too, why not tell me WHY I'm wrong, like I tried doing to OP? Or am I below your high horse?
>>
>>44366953
Don't bother.
>>
>>44366246
Some shinto gods do (Mishaguji is a popular one).
>>
>>44366953
You present the god of the Christian bible in a 20th century tier eurocentric way, for one, by saying things like

>he love his creations, before that he had some cosmic gig blah blah

No. Yahweh has always been considered an unknowable, terrifying motherfucker, the living storm and patron of the chosen people, it's thanks to Catholics, King James, and a slew of other silliness that he's now le peace and love sky daddy. That's not to say depictions of him are consistent at all, they're not, and certainly if you just look at the very limited timeframe of recent reference he would seem that way, but in general it's retarded to say "no OP, you're wrong, it's X" with X being the bullshit outlined. No, just no. There are very many facets of Yahweh and co. that are comparable to Lovecraftian fiction, where do you think he got such ideas in the first place? There wasn't an original bone in that shit writer's body.
>>
>>44366973
Different anon here, but if you want anyone to take you seriously you better give us at least a cursory theological explanation as to why Yahweh is a fine example of an eldritch abomination. If you're a dropout pastor you probably more informed about most anons here on the subject.
>>
>>44366632
Wow, other Christians (or Christianity-informed people) on /tg/. That's weird to see.

Yeah, this is the reason God is kind of mind blowing. An unfathomably wise and powerful being we can never hope to comprehend... And he created us with free will specifically so we could choose whether or not to worship him and his creation, because forced love isn't really love.
>>
>>44366889
JHWH is Azathoth and everything that is not Azathoth. JHWH is everything contained in this universe and everything beyond it's boundaries. JHWH is everything that could ever be conceived and anything that could never be conceived. There is literally nothing that could exist or not exist that is not contained in JHWH.
In the metaphysical dickwaving contest the abrahamic god wins by default, because not only is he waving his dick around, the dick of every other contestant and the entire audience is also His.
>>
>>44365844
Yes, we know.

As a matter of faxct, in my fantasy setting, one of the religions is basically "Christianity with lovecraft aspects kicked up to 11".

Their god is some unknowable, space deity who may or may not be made of a bunch of other dead deities. The priests chant in a difficulty to understand dead language based vaguely on complex mathematics. They consume the ever-regenerating flesh and blood of their messiah (think like batch of sourdough bread dough) as part of their communion to their divine. Oh, and the higher up in the priesthood you go, you slowly start to change into some weird, writhing mass of flesh, appendages, mouths, and eyes and eventually all cluster together into a sort of hive mind of these priests around their messiah which serves as their pope.

But the religion promotes diligence, study, charity, altruism, compassion for one's fellow man and thus end up sponsoring/founding many schools and priesthood will tutor in impoverished areas.

They also espouse learning and respecting others and thus get along with other religions and prefer to convert the masses through "lead by example" of good behavior.

And that whole transofrmation thing of the priesthood? It's reversible should the priest depart from the clergy.

I like affable/friendly neighborhood abominations.
>>
It says in the bible he made man in his image you retard, and he's on kind of regular occasion appeared in a human- although nondescript- form. Then again MOST people are described in only the bare minimum of physical details in the bible. It's the crazy giant monsters from Job and Revelations that get all the attention.
>>
>>44367149
>t says in the bible he made man in his image
Which most likely refers to our ability to think and decide for ourselves. You know, since no fucking other thing in creation can do that.
>>
>>44367149
>human- although nondescript- form
>That image

and somehow, I'm imagining God in human form as looking like Saitama.
>>
>>44367050
Well, that's a start. I should have mentioned other depictions or understandings, I didn't and that was stupid. I've always know New Testament God to be a lot more loving, or at least more considerate/less violent than Old Testament God. And honestly, I'd say Lovecraftian deities were meant to be a parody of organized religion (the whole idea of a 'blind idiot' at the centre of everything) and were influenced a lot more by classical deities than Christianity (capricious, polytheistic) since that's stuff Lovecraft was into growing up. But that's another conversation for another thread.
>>
>>44367055
>Wow, other Christians (or Christianity-informed people) on /tg/. That's weird to see.

I'm not Christian, actually, I used to be but not anymore, but I still like Christianity. I'm no theologian or anything, I'm just a very eagre enthusiast.
>>
>>44367169
>no other thing
>omniscient
>Lucifer
>contradicting yourself this hard
>>
>>44367149
I'd always figured that in his image pertains to sapience and creative thought, if it was our bodies that means all apes are human
>>
>>44367210
Yeah, I had a feeling (Hence the "Christianity-informed people" part). Still nice to see people who actually know what they're talking about instead of just going "lol magic sky fairy for idiots".
>>
>>44365844
wait, if this thread is about God, why are you starting it with a painting of a false prophet?
>>
>>44365844
but OP that's already done. its called Neon Genesis Evangelion
>>
>>44367138
Those sound like some exceedingly comfy eldritch abominations. I could see them going door to door singing carols in tongues not intended for human use.
>>
>>44367138
So Christians as they are now except tentacles and replace Latin with a dead language ?(It's not really a dead language if people are routinely using it for worship).
>>
>>44367404
Pretty much. The scenario I use to describe them goes along the lines of:
>In a big city
>In a dangerous part of town
>A child is lost, crying, looking for their parents
>A man greets the child, handsome, but wrong
>His charisma does not hide his vile intent or evil, the child backs away, wimpering, but the handsome man persists when a ten voices call out from a single figure
>It's towering, grotesque, with a head of writhing tentacles and tumorous prolapses
>It has no eyes but it's piercing gaze sends the handsome man running in terror while the child rejoices.
>"Come, child, let us find your parents." the abomination says as it takes the child onto it's lumbering shoulders of ossified flesh and exposed muscles
>The child is soon reunited with his family and the parents, in their gratitude, ask the cleric to stay for dinner.
>The priest is flattered, but he must be on his way to report the handsome man to the local watch and ensure the handsome man harms no others as well as keep an eye out for other lost souls
>Accepting this as it's evening's mission, the parents do offer the priest a slice of apple pie to go
>The priest ends up giving the apple pie to a hungry and homless man later before directing him to it's church so the man can have shelter until he gets back on his feet
>>
Congrats OP you just uncovered what LOVECRAFT WANTED YOU TO THINK THE WHOLE TIME

Lovecraft was a super fedora tipper atheist and the whole Lovecraft mythos was about A) The dangers of letting the blacks mate with the whites and B) How fucked up Christian mythos is. Everything you just described is not only true it's wholly intentional from the get go.
>>
File: 1386057319480.png (677 KB, 1280x1092) Image search: [Google]
1386057319480.png
677 KB, 1280x1092
>>44367631
pretty much.

Also
>Latin isn't a dead language
Thank you! I've been telling this to my former nun mother for ages.

It's like claiming Hebrew is dead or Hawaiian is an "ancient language" when it's been spoken within the last five hundred years, let alone the thousand that's my personal requisite for something to be called 'ancient'.

As a side note, there is a corollary religion to this one which believe god is one with the earth itself and are basically "Christianity but with the Pagan aspects bumped up to eleven", and their priesthood tend to look like wild, woad-painted, animal hide/plant debris wearing barbarians...

Who are as soft spoken and intelligent as a any person of faith in is expected to be.
>>
File: dracula.jpg (551 KB, 1074x1385) Image search: [Google]
dracula.jpg
551 KB, 1074x1385
>>44365844
The same could be said of all religions.
>>
File: Richter_Belmont.jpg (287 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Richter_Belmont.jpg
287 KB, 600x800
>>44367872
>[Stealing men's souls and making slaves intensifies]
>>
>>44367922
But enough greentext, have at you!
>>
>>44367055
>And he created us with free will specifically so we could choose whether or not to worship him and his creation, because forced love isn't really love.
Omniscience though.
>>
>>44368015
what does omniscience have to do with anything?
>>
>>44367055
>And he created us with free will specifically so we could choose whether or not to worship him and his creation, because forced love isn't really love.

and then when we choose not to he throws us into a trash pit and sets us on fire.

Forever.
>>
>>44368031
I think he's saying that omniscience implies free will will at least appear a moot point when you know everything.

Somehow, it does seem even crazier than omnipotence. Guess it's true that the mind if mightier than the muscle.
>>
>>44368031
>>44368062
He's a first year philosophy major who just got taught about determinism.

If God is all knowing, God must know every aspect of the future, including everything you will ever do in your life. If God knows everything you will ever do in your life, then your life is set, and you have no choice.

It's a ridiculous argument (both when presented secular, and religiously) that misses the useful definition of free will, in favor of an extremely narrow one to "prove" a point.
>>
>>44365844
>He doesn't follow logic
Yes he does.
>>
>>44368047
To be fair the way it's stated in the Bible is more akin to:

"Hey, I'm gonna give you guys two choices, you can either love me and follow my commands, forsaking your lives in exchange for an eternity of pleasure; or you can do whatever you want now but when you die you'll be thrown into a burning trash heap. You've got until you die to choose, no rush, no pressure."
>>
>>44365844
Another fun fact: Satan and his followers had no free will.
Yahweh rebelled against himself.
>>
>>44367053
no, i mean you're being trolled.

Don't respond to people on this board. Caring about something just paints a target on your back.
>>
File: magnificent.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
magnificent.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>44366818
>You can go to a building and get it read to you for free, too.
>>
>>44367845
>>44367631

You assholes need to learn what dead language means.

Dead language does NOT mean is no longer used. A language is dead when it ceases to change and evolve.

English is a living language because ten years ago a "ratchet" was a tool but now means run down or ugly.

Latin doesn't have slang. Words in latin won't have new meanings in ten or fifteen years that originated naturally from slang. Latin is not changing. Latin is dead.
>>
>>44368244
I see what you mean. Thank you for the clarification.

Also.
>New definition of rachet
>never even heard of it

I feel old.

how come no one uses radical anymore?
>>
>>44368244

I've never heard this definition either.

I do know that "awful" used to mean "to be filled with awe"

>>44368327
Isis ruined it.
>>
>>44365844
There seems to be a lot of controversy going on in this thread. For what it's worth, if you compare the christian, judeo, and islamic god to the old ones in lovecraft's writing, you see all of the similarities you mentioned and probably more if you look hard enough. I think that was the point of Lovcraft's writing; to show how fucking incomprehensible and alien divinity would really be. So good job, spaceman.

You've inspired me to write a setting with several (20ish) "lesser gods", like those of egyptian, norse, and greek mythology, and a few (maybe 3 or 4) "greater gods" that created the universe (likely on accident), but don't really get involved unless accidently, and are absolutely horrific. They'll combine more obvious features of both the monotheistic mythological beings and the lovecraftian old ones.
>>
>>44368192
>target on back

We're anonymous, anon. Targets can only get painted if your silly enough to use a trip.
>>
>>44368746
you're*, yaweh have mercy.
>>
>>44366632
you argument only makes sense from the perspective of someone whose faith is in Yaweh. it does not extend beyond opinion.

Also, in the lovecraft mythology Azathoth made the universe inadvertently in his mad symphony and humans were made as a joke by the elderthings.
>>
How is Hell described in the Bible anyway?
>>
>>44369064
IIRC, I believe it actually isn't. The only reference to hellfire and brimstone is actually in revelations i think. The closest we can come to is Sheol, which is literally a garbage dump where people chucked their garbage and burned it.

But don't quote me on it, I'm only going on what I learned in sunday school when I was young and innocent before finding 4chan.
>>
>>44369064
An intense burning sensation with wailing gnashing of teeth.

Other than that, it's pretty damn silent on the subject matter.
>>
>>44366866
The fedora shitposting started before you started to pull apart OP's post, you prima donna.
>>
>>44367099
Sounds kinda like the Brahma. Convergent Theology strikes once more I suppose.
>>
>>44367149
>implying God made man in his image
>implying man did not make God in our own
>>
>>44369064
According to one man's theology it's meeting god and realizing what a little shit you've been.
>>
>>44369064
It isn't. Hell is a purely abiblical invention. Most the bible says on the matter is that you might get chucked into some allegorical fire and burned away into nonexistence.
>>
>>44368244
Language Death is when a language loses its last native speaker, you dummy
>>
>>44366632
Merry Christmas to you sir
>>
>>44368015
I see it like this: If you run a simulation and watch what the Ai does, then run it again, the AI is still choosing what to do, even though you know what it is going to choose.

Or another way, if I know you always get cheese pizza, and I ask you what kind of pizza you want, you're still the one making the choice even if I know what you'll choose.
>>
old testament YHWH is basically the demiurge of the gnostic cosmology. a malevolent physical god that is obsessed with ruling over humanity that thinks he's the only god and the creator of everything, but it's born out of a cosmic accident.
>>
>>44368178
Not even that, really. It's more "You've decided you don't want to acknowledge my power and role in the creation of everything you enjoy? Alright, that's your choice. I'll give you the rest of your life to change your mind, and if you're serious about this after that, I'll remove my presence and everything I've created from you so you don't have to be around me or my creations any more."

The absence of God and everything related to God means nothingness. Hell isn't a firey cave full of evil people and devils with pitchforks. It's just you, alone in the nothingness, away from God, just like you wanted.
>>
>>44368152
Well said
>>
>>44367315
Damnit kebab, go home. You're sober.
>>
>>44369657
But its not choosing anything, while it appears there is the possibility of other choices its following the only path possible as determined by the parameters of its programming. [Spoiler] just like us[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1428694355485.jpg (8 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
1428694355485.jpg
8 KB, 249x243
Yahweh himself admits he creates all good AND all evil, so it's a bad idea to question him

Hell, he even sends blatantly evil spirits to torment people that piss him off.
>>
>>44369962
If there was no free will, why would he bother making humans when he already has angels that worship him unquestioningly? It was kind of defeat the purpose of creating humans who CHOOSE whether or not to worship and seek Him if he didn't let them do so.
>>
>>44370029
Because Anon wants to be edgy.
>>
>>44365844
So what does that make Jesus? Yet another face of Nyarlthotep?
>>
>>44370029
>why would he bother making humans when he already has angels that worship him unquestioningly?
Because Yahweh was made up by desert dwelling bedouins who knew nothing about biology?
>It was kind of defeat the purpose of creating humans who CHOOSE whether or not to worship and seek Him if he didn't let them do so.
But free will doesn't exist. Everything we say, do, feel, and are is the result of factors beyond our control. Even as I type this it's because of my programming. We're no different from NPCs.
>>
>>44370063
I'm not convinced there's a difference. The choices I make are defined by my upbringing and knowledge, and I make them based on what's most logical or what I want most to do, but how does that make them any less my choices?
>>
>>44369305
I've always assumed that's what happens when you die. Total awareness, destruction of the ego and the self.
>>
>>44366632
Revelations is p fucked senpai
>>
>>44365844
Wow. So profound. Nobody has ever thought of this before.
>>
File: 1397704878677.jpg (6 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
1397704878677.jpg
6 KB, 268x188
>>44367138
I read "altruism" as "autism".
I need to get out of here.
>>
File: 1435786283343.jpg (53 KB, 500x581) Image search: [Google]
1435786283343.jpg
53 KB, 500x581
>>44369973
A lot of people always talk about YHWH as either Pure good or a total ass that should go away, but it's pretty obvious he's completely beyond our idea of good and evil. I'm a Christian, but I'm really totally fine with my god not being the super nice grandpa of blessings and hugs like other church members think He is. He can be a mean, nonsensical dude. And that's okay.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 323x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 323x456
>>44365990
Relevant to Greek dicks
>>
>>44369827
I'm not Kebab
Kebab believes that he's actually a prophet.
>>
>>44371081

Ah right. That means you're a Jew. Which honestly is just another kind of kebab.
>>
>>44366632
fucking angel posters
>>
>>44371115
If we're kebab, wouldn't that make you, and Yeshua, kebab as well?
>>
>>44371248
>Everyone is kebab.
>Everyone
>>
>>44365844
You're thinking backwards anon.
When lovecraft came up with his eldritch abominations, he had this in mind: "What if god was a crazy asshole monster?"
>>
>>44365844
He's pretty much a blob god. When you know your way around the pagan gods of the people who lived in that area, you quickly realize the Christian god is a sky/war god to whom new capacities have been ascribed like caring for people. for example there are large chunks of the Sumerian Enlil in Christianity's god (including the flood) and good bits of the Canaanite El. Jesus is basically Mithras 2.0.
>>
>>44371248
>>44371274
Remove everyone?
>>
>>44371394
Quick! someone tell /int/ and /pol/
>>
>>44371248
>>44371115

His reasoning is that Jews are semitic just like kebab.

Except that they fucking aren't, because kebab is turkic, not semitic.
>>
>>44371419
Altaic*, not Turkic.
>>
>>44371419
>>44371436
I had thought that his reasoning was that anyone whose culture originated in the middle east was kebab.
>>
>>44370108
Anon is arguing against the concept of choice. Choice implies there was another path available, that the future was not written and that what we choose is a total unknown. The existence of omniscience reveals that the future is in fact written, and that there were in fact no other paths you could've taken. Human existence, and really the existence of all things is just one DM's heavily railroaded campaign
>>
>>44369716
To be honest that doesn't sound like that bad a deal, family. I'll take it.
>>
>>44367223
Lucifer is fanfiction
>>
>>44370029
>implying there needs to be a purpose
God is beyond our comprehension. Perhaps there is a point to the illusion of free will that we just can't get because we aren't multidimensional omniscient supreme beings with absolute power and sovereignty over all creation
>>
>>44369064
It isn't. Afterlife is so little described that it's basically a non-issue for Jews. Both heaven and hell for Christians is almost entirely abiblical invention.
>>
>>44367138
Isn't this basically Bloodborne lore?

Nicer to the common man, of course.
>>
>>44368152
What is the useful definition of Free Will, then?
>>
>>44371979
The anon who started all of this is also not including how he is mixing a lot of different interpretations, both early and late, into the same argument.
Not all versions of the Christian god is omniscient. Some are, some pointedly aren't.
>>
>>44368244

>He said, forgetting that new words are commissioned on a yearly basis by the Vatican in order to fill in new concepts that didn't exist when Latin was in its prime like "airplane".

You even 40k?
>>
>>44366632
Metatron pls go
>>
>>44372083
this is pretty much the only reasonable conclusion one can arrive to if you think about the issue of free will and predestination logically and prefer theism/reeeally don't give a shit about theism but heed Pascal's Wager.
>>
>>44365844
Bruh, you only now realize this? Yog-Sothoth is Lovecraft's take on Yahweh.
>>
>>44366632
Yog-Sothot is an eternal omni-everything supernatural intelligence. He exist in every point in space and time (or more accurately, every point in space and time exists in him) and is omniscient and omnipotent. Yog-Sothot is pretty much Lovecraft's take on the Abrahamic God.
The Great Old Ones are merely powerful alien beings, but the Outer Gods are for all intents and purposes capital G Gods.>>44366632
>>
>>44365844
YHWH is the random number god.
That entity dosen't care about anything.
Blocks fall into places and life sprung.

In this universe, there are planets like earth. We might never gent anyone's touch until we break the rules.
>>
>>44365844
That is pretty true. Angels are pretty Lovecraftian, too. When their forms are described, they're basically incomprehensible Lovecraft being, and, IIRC, in the Qur'an, there's a surah where Muhammad sees the archangel Gabriel and was so confused and terrified that, for a while afterward, he contemplated suicide.
>>
>>44365844
The point ofeldrich abominations is that they are vaguely based on actual religion, except with all the creepy and scary parts emphasized.
>>
>>44371394
that's what those nutjobs in Japan were all about.
>>
I have to wonder, even disregarding the entire issue of free will and predestination, do we have the right to judge at all anyway? The characters in something like Fallout have no right to say Bethesda or the player have done anything wrong. If God created this world, then what right does anything he made have to judge his reasons or decisions?
>>
>>44365844
Yes, this is known, why do you think so many fanatics want to keep it appeased?

>>44367138
Best way to handle not!YHWH
>>
>>44367099
>implying YHWH isn't another name for the demiurge
>>
>>44365844

that's literally the inspiration Lovecraft had.

Even if God was the positive force humanity believes God to be, if a person were to see God directly it'd be horrifying and break the brain into several wtfs.

http://www.theonion.com/video/onn-exclusive-one-on-one-interview-with-god-37236
>>
>>44371419

Depends.

Jews from Europe are European. So Germanic or Slavic or Nordic or whateve.r

Jews from the Middle East are Semitic.

>>44371476

probably. But European culture is very influenced by the Middle East. The Renaissance was basically "let's be like the Muslims".

But don't try to tell Europeans that, they'll flip out about "muh culture"
>>
>>44374808
>The Renaissance was basically "let's be like the Muslims"
>he actually believes the Islamic Golden Age was was real thing
>>
>>44374808
>being this unread about history
>trusting the onslaught of pro-Islamic "they invented numbers / medicine / renaissance"
Lel
>>
Anyone know what the Sikh interpretation of God's like?
>>
>>44365844
>Its occured to me: Yahweh is basically a Lovecraftian god.
This just now occurred to you?

>A giant, unknowable and implacable god
>Implacable
>Implying

>that is so big that he is beyond the very comprehension of man. His angels defy all logic and physics, his very presence terrifies anyone nearby. Further more, hes far beyond understanding to the point of contradicting and confusing. He doesn't follow logic.
Not following logic is debatable. It's arguably just a different kind of logic than the one used in ordinary circumstances.

>Hes basically a Eldritch abomination that thinks humans are neat and worth not acidentally obliterating.
>Makes humans, does a near purge, makes promise to never do so again
>Thinks they are neat and worth not accidentally obliterating
Your head working okay?
>>
>>44369716
Literally the ending and best panel in Tales of the Jedi.
>>
>>44367223

Please note that angels do not have free will and Lucifer is an angel - by definition he could only ever rebel against god and had no actual option. It was his nature from the moment of creation.

On the other hand, according to Islamic theology, angels and jinn both have free will comparable to man, so.
>>
>>44374903
>>44374988
Let me tell you about the fucking Islamic Golden Age.
I once visited a lecture on Islamic Philosophy between 300 and 1500. The professor was originally from Afghanistan, but has been lecturing around here for 20 years, so you'd think he'd know his shit. In any case, he was the biggest Pro Islam Muslims Are Greater Than Christian Wanker I've ever encountered.
And even then, in those fucking 1200, those great achievements of the east were fucking nothing.
They basically amounted to
>The cities weren't total shitholes constantly being raided by barbarians
>They had street lights
>They had actual science as opposed to pseudoscience in the west
>They had actual philosophy. The philosophy in the west didn't count because all education was under the control of the church.
>All the theological and philosophical ideas thought up in the west are either shit or based on stuff from the east!!

I'm not even joking here. Six months of Islamwanking, and that's what he came up with. He completely disregarded any external factors like the fucking post apocalypse that was going on in Europe at the time, swept shit like the irish monks completely under the rug and christian philosophers and church fathers didn't count, because that's theology, not philosophy, and under Islam you were totally a free scientist!
AND EVEN FUCKING THEN HE PRACTICALLY ONLY TALKED ABOUT A GOOD TWO HUNDRED YEARS AND EVERYTHING AFTER THAT DIDN'T FUCKING MATTER

I swear to fucking god, I was honestly interested and curious when I went in there. But this shit was an exercise in frustration.
>>
>>44371979

Don't be silly. There WERE other paths you could have taken. But you can only take one, you can't make both choices at once.

So he you HAD options. You just didn't take them.
>>
>>44369716
According to Augustine, Hell is exactly that, but on this very earth.
Hell is to exist in empty shallowness, with no beauty or meaning in life. Anything you do or that happens is irrelevant, any relationship hollow. Every day is just a cold, empty moment in a never ending string of meaningless eternity.
To find God means finding the beauty and meaning in existence.
>>
>>44368152
The Catholic Church presents free will as one of the Mysteries. Talk about a cop out.
>>
>>44368910
>All this wrong in one post
Why am I not surprised
>>
File: 1450426994824.gif (119 KB, 320x600) Image search: [Google]
1450426994824.gif
119 KB, 320x600
>>44365844
It's YHWH dumbass
>>
>>44375227
I had some philosophy of Islamic blahblah something once, it was a fucking joke.
>muh numbers
>muh medicine
>muh experimentation
>Europe dark ages so bad so edgy

>disregard that Middle Ages were a 1000 year long period
>disregard that ways of living were hugely different at the start, middle and end
>disregard everything ever written because church

Basically amounts to staying some art has no value because it's a painting of Jesus or was made for a church.
>>
>>44366761
>Yeah yeah, tell it to the judge faggot.

What the literal fuck caused you to spew this meme in the context of a religious discussion?
>>
>>44375289
>Hell is to exist in empty shallowness, with no beauty or meaning in life. Anything you do or that happens is irrelevant, any relationship hollow. Every day is just a cold, empty moment in a never ending string of meaningless eternity.
Sounds like my bad days.
>>
>>44366632
This is the hardest I've seen an OP fuck out this week.

Feliz Navidad.
>>
File: 1447501048228.jpg (828 KB, 1350x940) Image search: [Google]
1447501048228.jpg
828 KB, 1350x940
>>44367055
Not to be insulting, but as an agnostic this sounds like the kind of stuff a cultist adoring some eldricht non-euclidian horror from outer-space would say.
>>
>>44375567

The ancient place of judges in Abrahamic religion, probably. Remember that in the English version most instances of judge were translated as 'king', and 'judged' was replaced with 'ruled over'.
>>
>>44375767
I mean if you define cult as a group of people with a fanatical devotion to a single person or concept, then yeah, Christianity counts. But so does patriotic fevor, Justin Beiber's fangirls, and Kojima's devotees.
>>
>>44366770
>misinformed
>You can't take my mythology and adapt, alter, or present an alternate interpretation of it! THAT"S MISINFORMED MUH RELIGION
>>
File: 1450145741569.jpg (418 KB, 1000x818) Image search: [Google]
1450145741569.jpg
418 KB, 1000x818
>>44367055
Yeah, there's actually a lot on /tg/, and at least in my case, a lot in tabletop gaming as well. Paladins and clerics are fucking awesome.
>>
>>44375267
Multiversal theory says I can, and literally split reality when I do.
>>
>>44375534
>muh numbers
>muh medicine
>muh experimentation
I don't know man, those things sound pretty important.
>>
>>44374808
In the same way that the USA is basically Napolean era France, but don't tell the Yanks that or they chimp out.
>>
Yog Sothoth is a corruption of the name YHVH Sabaoth which is itself a corruption of YHWH Tzabaoth, Yahweh Tzabaoth. The Lord of Hosts.
>>
File: tumblr_m66g7qC1vP1rzyyz1o1_500.jpg (75 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m66g7qC1vP1rzyyz1o1_500.jpg
75 KB, 500x297
>>44376292
Not at all. That's the one period of French history that's actually cool. It's a shame they lost, the EU under Germany has been so awful even the French could've done it better.
>>
>>44376279

You personally don't know whether you do or not. It doesn't make a difference to you, and under the theory of omniscience, YHWH knows about those too, and is equally aware of each.

That's not any different from a single timeline. Your choices are still your choices either way.

It could even be said that the awareness of YHWH of the results of any potential action you take IS the existence of the alternate timeline.
>>
>>44375289
This could be the depression talking but maybe the Rapture happened whilst using wasn't looking because that is me on the bad days.
>>
>>44368047
Well, to be fair it doesn't actually say that. If you read Revelations, it's more like you're dead, and if you were a cool guy Jebus brings you back to build the kingdom of heaven, and if you were a huge asshole he brings you back to throw into the lake of fire because you're an asshole.

Most nonbelievers and infidels and such are simply not brought back. It's Dante who came up with the goofy multi-faceted hellscape.
>>
>>44376290
They are. They weren't concepts invented by Muslims.
>>
File: charlemagne-hero-AB.jpg (95 KB, 334x250) Image search: [Google]
charlemagne-hero-AB.jpg
95 KB, 334x250
>>44376331
>That's the one period of French history that's actually cool
>one period
>>
>>44376431
Charlemagne is the father of Modern Italy, Germany, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands. I wouldn't call him French, not exclusively.
>>
>>44376452
He wasn't even French at all - he was Frankish.
>>
>>44365844

CS Lewis already said this a hundred years ago.
>>
>>44376497
Who the French like to claim as their ancestors.
>>
>>44376503
And Nostradamus almost 500 years ago.
>>
>>44376513
And my people, the franconians.
>>
>>44376513
I think the point was that Franks are as French as Visigoths are Castillian.
>>
>>44376513
Franks are ancestors to multiple countries in the Europe.
>>
>>44376569
>>44376580
Both of these actually just support my point.
>>
>>44368910
derleth
isn't
lovecraft

fuuuuuuccckkkkkk youuuuuu
>>
>>44367631
>>44367845
>Latin isn't a dead language

Juuuuust came by to tell you both that brain damage cannot be fixed, I'm sorry for your loss.
>>
>>44375397
its transliterated as YHVH, dipshit
>>
>>44369827
Except kebabs actually think he's a for-real no-shit prophet and like him and think he's really neat, he's just not THE prophet, and people who think he was the Messiah got it wrong somewhere 'cos that guy hasn't shown up yet.
>>
>>44366632
God bless
>>
>>44376290
I meant to say that the guy tried to credit Islamic culture with all those things, and that a lot of people generally do, whereas none of them were properly inventions from that "culture" (brackets because it is not a monolith and calling it one unified culture is plain wrong)
>>
File: GODS.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
GODS.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1800
>>
>>44377338
Holy shit top kek, this is one of the most universally offensive things I have seen on 4chan ever.
>>
>>44365844
I was a Troper about five years ago, too, OP.
>>
>>44366632
deus vult brother
>>
File: yahweh.png (2 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
yahweh.png
2 MB, 1200x800
>worshipping a jealous angry Jewish god that is basically the collective psychic and spiritual projection of Jewry in its purest bile form
>semitic monotheism
>>
>>44376874
Not that person or possibly people but am now curious.

What is needed for it to be classed as a dead language?
>>
>>44365844
>his very presence terrifies anyone nearby.
No, seeing Yahweh in person fucking kills you outright.

See the Jews at Mount Sinai.
>>
>>44369295
On the one hand, I agree with you, but on the other, you are a shitposting faggot.
I'm confused now, and feel bad about myself, and I blame you.
>>
>>44375731
>Sounds like my bad days.
Sounds like everydays.
>>
>>44366632
Best post in this thread. Merry Christmas, bro.
>>
>>44369716
What about the other people that go to the nothingness too?
Can I get a waifu while stranded in the void?
>>
>>44383349
Well, I don't know for sure, given the limited info we have, but people, companionship, friends, family, relationships, and so on are all of God. The relation between you and your parents and friends is a mirror of your relationship with God and Jesus, just like how marriage is reflective of Christ's relation to his church. So no, I don't think you would be with other people in Hell. That's why I find the people who say they want to go to Hell, to meet the 'great' there and climb Hell's social ladder, confuse me so much. There's no plot to hell, no storyline, no progression or events. Just static, unchanging, nothing. Hell is the empty space on the margin of the pages of God's story. Not even that, actually, because at least you can write or draw in the margins.
>>
>>44370274
Well, your brain does get a dose of DMT upon death.
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.