[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>An single Emperor class ship and its crew find them selves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: 1421311941747.jpg (488 KB, 2627x972) Image search: [Google]
1421311941747.jpg
488 KB, 2627x972
>An single Emperor class ship and its crew find them selves in the Halo universe at the start of the Human-Covenant war.

How much help would it be?
>>
>>43492456
whats on the ship?
>>
>>43492456
they singlehandedly win the war without so much as a chip on the paint. an emperor class battleship packs 1000x the firepower of an SMAC which able to one-shot 3 covenant super carriers at once.
>>
>>43492768
A few regiments of Imperial Guard, a shit ton of ammo and supplies, and a million people crewing the ship.
>>
>>43492848
Many of which probably refuse to leave the ship or do not fully understand the concept in a lucid fashion and vaguely perceive the Emperor as the boss of the guy who is in charge of the ship.
>>
>>43492854
see>>43492818

It houses a million plus people and that is just the crew (not including their families), It can be used to transport several armies and all their gear, and is basically a mobile city and fortress.
>>
>>43492818
Come on, they will at least chip the paint.
>>
>>43492848
>A few regiments of Imperial Guard, a shit ton of ammo and supplies, and a million people crewing the ship.
Shiet, the beginning of the war doesn't go as badly for the UNSC, but eventually it's going to get taken down by the Covenant's superior numbers
>>
>>43492456
This is the kind of ship that a couple of volleys will leave a planet uninhabitable. Yeah they glass planets in Halo but I'm pretty sure they needed a fleet to do that. It's armor can withstand fire from weapons of similar class to it's own as well. I'm sure a single shot from an Emperor class ship's main weapons would destroy most ships in Halo. It's also larger than anything Halo has to offer. The only arguments you could make are speed and it getting fucked over by warp travel. outside of those categories Emperor class wins every time.
>>
maybe if the entire high charity fleet rammed it at once. void shields are used to defend against their own weapons, which are in the terraton range.
>>
>>43492456
The only craft it couldn't take out easily would be the Forerunner Keyship, which, being built with near-indestructibility in mind by lolhax precursor aliens, would probably tank fire about as well as a Necron craft of similar tonnage.
Which is to say, two or three classes above its weight.
>>
>>43493363
how would the Speranza hold up against the keyship?
>>
>>43493055
The Covenant are physically incapable of destroying it. Covenant fleets lack the cohesion of UNSC fleets as well, and will probably rout instead of fighting to the last man like humans.
>>
>>43493060
>It's also larger than anything Halo has to offer.
Up Until Halo Reach and that absurdly sized super carrier. I'd put it in the same size category but lacking anywhere near the sort of firepower.

The Covies would have no choice but to attempt to board such a ship. As is shown in nearly every game they're certainly ready and willing to do so at the drop of a hat.

Could the Covenant kill such a ship? Yes once they had learned of it and prepared ahead of time to do so. They would take the sort of losses an early UNSC fleet would normally take fighting covie fleets if not worse imo.

The real advantage such a ship would offer to Humanity is the opportunity to copy their void shields and upgrade the UNSC fleet years earlier.
>>
Covenant super carrier is like twice the size of an emperor battleship

A Gloriana would be better for the scenario
>>
Assuming it has no warp not that much really. It can go only so fast and both factions slip-space is a hell of a lot more reliable. The war could literally go around it.

Another huge issue is that Cov ships can literally slip space right on top of the thing, drop off landing partys, then fly away, or even jump back into slip space possibly either dragging the ship with or portions of the ship which poses its own problems.

On ground they will more than likely match or best any cov ground forces but not without heavy heavy casualty due to the nature of cov weaponry and the guards preference for mass infantry witch is just asking for Needlers.

Resources and restocking are going to be a huge issue since I don't think halo has anything near the required infrastructure to support the thing. and I do think that cov ships are more than capable of damaging it.

Glassing a planet can take from a few hours to 2 days

God forbide flood showing up
>>
>>43494551
>Resources and restocking are going to be a huge issue since I don't think halo has anything near the required infrastructure to support the thing. and I do think that cov ships are more than capable of damaging it.

They normally don't go anywhere without a few yeara worth of supplies on board just incase of warp shenanigans. Even besides that they only need raw materials, imperial ships have onboard manufacturing facilities.

Also I see no reason to take their warp travel off them while the covenant get too keep their ftl. The ships aren't dependant on external infrastructure.

Though without the astronomicon FTL will be slowed as they'll be reduced to doing short jumps.
>>
>>43494794
The reason I didnt include warp was more due to the fact that its practically suicide using warp in a universe that you don't have a charter for. So not only do you not have the Astronomican in addition to warps normal issues, you also have a distinct chance of warping into a sun
>>
>>43494794
>he ships aren't dependant on external infrastructure.
The warp is the infrastructure and the halo universe definitely doesn't have it or shit would have gone down a long time ago during the forerunner precursor war as the forerunners were described as just as debauched as the eldar were.
>>
>>43492456
This ship would be best stationed on Earth, the capital world of the UNSC.

I agree with all the anons saying that Warp wouldn't be possible. By the time UNSC engineers were able to gain permission to board the Emperor Class ship, and then rig at LEAST twenty Halcyon sized Slip-space drives in tandem from stern to bow, Regret's fleet would have arrived at Earth and blown the fuck up within minutes of reaching Io.

I am curious, however, how Truth would have received the news of Regret's fleet being gunned down so quickly upon reaching a planet they didn't even know that humans were inhabiting (reference to Halo 2, since Regret didn't even know humans knew about Earth, let alone be their home-world.)

In short, Truth would never have activated Installation 05, and thus found the co-ordinates for the Ark. Effectively, this story-arc would halt immediately. I feel as though Truth wouldn't even investigate the hells that Earth would be to them and their vague knowledge at the demise of Regret.
>>
>>43495135
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the warp fuckery is due to the birth of Slaneesh? In the Halo universe, there is no Chaos gods hence the warp could be very safe.
>>
>>43495355
no astronomican means you're travelling blind

bad idea
>>
>>43495388
No Calm warp means easy as fuck travel.
>>
>>43495431
Yo still don't have have the light of the emperor, nor do you have an actual map.

Its basiclly like running around a fucking forest at night on. With the astro you have a bon fire you can look back at, and with a calm warp there are no monsters, and with a map you know were the trees, hills, and cliffs are.

In the halo universe your missing 2 of the three things you need for safe warp travel
>>
>>43495431
How about no Warp at all? The warp was previously the realm of souls+A lot of dying beings at once+a comic wars worth of bad vibes. It is is very loosely scifi but mostly magic. And The Halo universe does not really do magic. Slipspace is not the same thing. I am sure with some work it would be possible to make it SS capable, but until then I would say you are stuck at sub-lightspeed.

I swear to god if Halo 5 has magic I am going to burn something down.
>>
>>43494952
>So not only do you not have the Astronomican in addition to warps normal issues, you also have a distinct chance of warping into a sun
That's not a real issue. Short blind jumps are a routine thing and are calculated on the spot and not dependent on the astronomicon or any charts. The downside is they're only reasonably reliable and safe over distances of a few maybe a dozen or 2 lightyears.
>>
>>43492456
It would get roasted in about thirty seconds after its shields get knocked out. It's weapons would beat the shit out of covie ships but it's ponderous and could be out maneuvered.
Its attack craft probably wouldn't do much against seraphs and such so there's not much help there.

But this is going against a universe whose ship combat is totally different and whose powerlevels don't match up right. Plasma torpedoes would burn through the hull, detonate munitions and fuck the reactor in half a second.
>>
>>43495511
Its has telekinetic tech which is basically willing shit to do what you want because you say so. But thats halo 4 lore. Those crazy hardlight machines exist because someone somewhere willed it then planted the mental print (soul) from one forerunner to machine making it will itself to exist constantly. Its fucking magic.
>>
>>43492848

What would happen if the UNSC had access to the lasgun.

If Cortana could calibrate a Covenant cruiser's laser weaponry to practically go toe-to-toe with an entire fleet, imagine some competent minds modifying the lasgun.
>>
File: splaser.jpg (116 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
splaser.jpg
116 KB, 1280x960
>>43495606
Hmm, maybe they'd make a large laser that would kill tanks.
>>
>>43495606
Depnds on if the lasgun works the same way. If it's a totally different technology too what the halo verse is familiar they're not going to be able to do much in a useful time frame.
>>
>>43495549
Again the Covs ship can show up so close to your ship its not even funny, and its not like covs don't have their own super ships.

As a whole the Covs are not a good match up agains the Imperium in limited numbers. They have plasma out the ass and an extreme tendency to get into close combat, and are extremely good at doing so. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but Elites and Brutes are nearly as strong as space marines, if not stronger in the Brutes case, and unlike traitors they have no problem having dozens of Elites and Brutes in every deployment.
>>
>>43495644

How hard is it to make a lasgun, anyway? The materials are readily available on pretty much every world.
>>
File: 1396036619043.jpg (844 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1396036619043.jpg
844 KB, 2560x1440
>>43495355
The warp existed before Slaanesh. Slaanesh came into existence in the 30th Millienium, and the Immaterium is timeless.
>>
>>43495606
>Competent minds modifying the lasgun
Son. I don't think you appreciate just how robust and frankly amazing the lasgun is. Problem is that 40k scales are just so wack they seem weak by comparison.
>>
>>43495689

I appreciate it plenty, which is why I'm saying the UNSC would jump on that tech in an instant.

I'm saying there would probably be room for improvement given how the Imperium shares the Covenant's dogmatic approach to weapon modifications.
>>
>>43495681
The romans had access too the materials to build a nuclear reactor
That doesn't mean they could.

As far as lastech goes 40k doesn't go into specifics.
>>
>>43495676
I thought that super carrier boardings between anticov and cov during the religious breakdown were in the thousands and theres usually 1/5 of the unit made up of elites or brutes with alot of grunts for support and jackals for support. Not to mention the hunters as mobile heavy artillery
>>
File: 1391205591440.jpg (1 MB, 1582x2624) Image search: [Google]
1391205591440.jpg
1 MB, 1582x2624
>>43495689
Lasguns are deadly to unarmored targets.

In fact, 40K weapons are complete overkill.
>>
>>43495606

Wouldn't there be enough lasguns in the armory to equip most of the UNSC?

In fact, does an Emperor Class produce their own lasguns, or have the means to do so?
>>
>>43495744
If you compared the average 'armor' of a lasguns target in 40k (Nids, Crons, Tau, and some Eldar) most things in Halo would fail to meet that threshold. Depending on how good covie energy shields deal with lasers they are good as fried. If I remember my games right, didn't energy weapons like the plasma pistol and riffle eat right through shields?
>>
>>43495711
The covenant aren't dogmatic in weapon development. They just have zero idea how shit works. That tech was barely backwards engineered from forerunner tech replacing the hardlight with plasma and metal bits. The only real hardlight they can make is the swords and thats still pretty much self contained plasma. They can't even muster up the energy to properly charge the plasma rifles past barely workable hence the automatic fire rather than a stream which really is just the machine sending sparks from short circuits in an aimed direction.
>>
>>43495744

How many shots does it take for a lasgun to down a Tau Fire Warrior?

Because the answer to that is probably the answer to how effective a lasgun is against Covenant body armor.

As for the shields? Who knows.

>tfw you will never see an Ogryn fight a Hunter pair.
>>
>>43495768
Yeah, they ripped through energy shielding.
>>
>>43495685
To be more accurate once Slaanesh came into existence in the 30th Millenium, S/he had always existed. Because temporal shenanigans.
>>
>>43495775
Kek. Silly aliens fucking around with tech they barely understand, whereas humans once stood on the same level as the Forerunners.
>>
>>43495431
>guys! let's just.. warp randomly!
>no point of reference for navigation!
>all existing star charts completely worthless!
>literally flying blind!
>what could possibly go wrong!
No astronomican, no warp travel.
>>
>>43495768
They used too. The humans reverse engineered the covenants shield tech then improved it then shared it with the anticovenant covenant who then improved it using better energy tech and shared that back. Plasma and kinetics do relatively the same now. Hardlight however fucks them up.
>>
>>43495775
>They can't even muster up the energy to properly charge the plasma rifles past barely workable hence the automatic fire rather than a stream which really is just the machine sending sparks from short circuits in an aimed direction.

Source? I know about the ship thing but the shitty weapons is new to me.

Do they ever tackle that issue in post-war Halo? The Elites and other ex-covenant races have spent the past 700 years with next to no innovation or scientific tradition?

I'd find it amusing if after partial-genocide Humanity becomes the big dicks on the block... Or at least, the galactic arm. Makes me wonder if there are other empires in the galaxy.
>>
>>43495795
Oh I completely agree. I was just trying to give the most accurate response I could with regards to an inaccurate subject.

>he Immaterium is timeless.
>>
>>43495768
Gameplay isn't canon, but Covenant energy weapons are pretty good at taking down shields. Although then again, even 7.62 Nato drops shields plenty fine with a sustained burst anyway.

Lasguns though would wreck the covenant hard. Each infantryman carrying one is basically carrying a high capacity assault rifle with better accuracy and the best sniper rifle and comparable effective range. UNSC troopers equipped with them would be picking out Covenant infantry with small arms fire at far longer distances than they have any right to.
>>
>>43495676
>nearly as strong as space marines
someone post the halo/40k copypasta. Brutes are stronger than the chief, but spess muhreens are bullshit ridiculous strong compared to a spartan. Im saying this as a halo fan, in close combat terms everything gets curbstomped by more or less anything 40k that isnt guard or tau
>>
>>43495782
Poor way of going about it. We know what halo guns use. 7.62x51mm NATO. They're basically carting around stub guns, which are stated to be roughly equivalent to 20th century weapons.

Going by that scale, a burst of MA5 fire is roughly equivalent to a single lasbolt, though the lasgun's going to have much better penetration thanks to THE POWER OF THE SUN.
>>
>>43495711
Yes, just like how they quickly adapted Covenant Weapons Systems to their own ends, which is why the ODSTs and Marines are running around with energy weapons.

Oh... wait...

The UNSC is fucking retarded man, they are using weapons tech we have available to us for their Infantry, and they are 500 years in the future.

At least 40k has a reason to be ass backwards.
>>
>>43495606
The Lasgun's main advantage in the 40k universe is ease of logistics. However, it's not particularly good otherwise. The UNSC wouldn't get much benefit from it: Their main assault rifle fires 30 rounds per second of 7.62 NATO, because they need the firepower. Their standard sidearm fires 12.7mm armor piercing explosive rounds, because they need the firepower.

We know from the 40kRPGs that while the Lasgun is robust, it doesn't have the same punch as an Autogun, and an Autogun is equivalent to a modern assault rifle like the MA5C(similar firepower but less dakka than the MA5B)

Thus, the Lasgun wouldn't be very useful for the UNSC, because it doesn't have the punch to deal with 7 foot tall lizard aliens in energy shielding.

>>43495902
Untrue. In the 40kRPGs, the lasguns have much less penetration than the autoguns.
>>
File: community_image_1417308692.png (3 MB, 1920x1536) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1417308692.png
3 MB, 1920x1536
>>43495841
On top of that, you have all the heavier weapons of the IG; hotshot Lasguns, heavy bolters, lascannons, autocannons, plasma guns, grenade and missile launchers. Keep in mind, there are WHOLE REGIMENTS inside that ship.
>>
>>43495861
As someone who does not play the wargame and just reads fluff, do the tau even have any close quarter units? I mean actual tau not a servant race. Any punchy stabby tau mechs? Stealth suit ninjas? Headbutt drones?
>>
>>43495841

Part of me thinks the lasgun would just be a sturdier, needle-accurate version of the Plasma Repeater.

Which is still better than anything in Halo, but not by too much.
>>
>>43495735
They still deploy in larger numbers than their space marine equivalents.

As a whole they both dont have too high of a population as both only have a hand full of planets, they also presumably have a rather normal rate of birth if not higher. so an brute or elite will be ready and capable for combat at probably 20 to 30 or so years old, if not younger so there is a lot less resources and time needed to raise a solder that is far beyond that of a standard human.

Grunts and Jackles both breed like crazy to the point where they had population problems with the grunts.

The biggest problem for the Imperium is both finding their home worlds and dealing with the fact that their weaponry slaughters people in droves. and their overall swiftness.
>>
>>43495934
>Caring about FFG fluff
Autoguns are not at all like modern day assault rifles. Their calibers are fucking insane, with the common autorifles having 8.5mm ammunition. They basically chamber sniper-grade munitions.
>>
>>43495937
That's gotta include their vehicles which mean leman russ, chimeras, sentinals, baneblades, maybe even a titan.
>>
>>43495927
>The UNSC is fucking retarded man, they are using weapons tech we have available to us for their Infantry, and they are 500 years in the future.

So they're supposed to have laser rifles, hover tanks and ships designed by Apple because "it's 2552, come on!"
>>
>>43495944
they've reverse engineered a power fist and put it on a mech, calling it the Onager Gauntlet. Also, one of them got redpilled on his governments totalitarian communist government, and has lived ten times his biologically possible age by using an unknown, possibly necron/eldar/daemon sword, which steals souls and gives him longevity in return. He is pretty much the only choppy guy, the ethereals have basic dueling skills but still would get trashed against anything tat isnt IG
>>
>>43495963
>8.5mm ammunition
How about the 9.5mm ammunition fired by Halo's BR55 and BR85?

40k's stats aren't precise enough to draw the distinction between 7.62 NATO, that 8.5mm figure you pulled out of your ass, and the 9.5mm from the Battle Rifle.
>>
>>43495937
I forgot to mention the heavy stubbers, which are probably the equivalent of a modern day Browning M2 or 14.5mm KPV.
>>
>>43495990
>Lived ten times his possible age
Or maybe it's a dread pirate roberts thing where the sword and skills keep getting passed down the ages
>>
>>43495989
Well considering the level of development we have on Lasers, Rail Weaponry and even plasma I would say yes, yes they fucking should.

Unless you know the 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge being in service 604 years by the time of Halo 5 makes sense to you. Cause it doesnt to me.
>>
>>43495976
>titan

I could be wrong, but I always thought the Collegia Titanica would have their own ships.
>>
>>43496043
nah, they addressed that, its officially the sword that eats souls, all the wrong theories were given their own units, including an AI, a tau dreadnought, the farsight legacy thing, etc.
>>
>>43495839
Give me a bit to find it or put together the pages all relating to it. The testicle heads found forerunner tech first which is why they became the leaders of the covenant. The elite found theirs next then found the testicle heads. Together they made the tech you see now. They literally can't make new weapons because the tech they're basing it off of is so advanced their own advances aren't even close to understanding it. the rest of the races were acquired through war. They try all the time and occasionally make "breakthroughs" in energy management in weapons or making the weapons more accurate but thats it. My favorite was finding out a longer barrel and more energy magically made an smg(plasma rifle) into an assault rifle (storm rifle).
Humanity has always been fucking badass. During the forerunner and precursor times humanity started very late and basically strode through all the technological hurdles that the forerunners and precursors struggled with. They waltzed right up and looked the forerunners in the eyes and said "we're equal." Which they didn't like. Then they made more advances while the forerunners languished. Even after being devolved and having our potential "destroyed" we evolved and got back to comparative effectiveness tech against the covenant in a short amount of time. Humanity also seems to be the only race with an R&D department that actually turns out useful and functional weaponry.
>>
>>43495927

500 years ago we were using guns.

Point towards enemy and pull trigger.
>>
>>43496001
Except that the Battlerifle's 9.5mm round is shorter than the DMR's 7.62mm and designed to be an intermediate round, hence why 3 BR rounds are equal to the 7.62 of the DMR (in game designer minds)
>>
>>43496001
>I don't know what Imperial Armor is.

>>43495989
For comparison anon, 605 years ago we were fighting with halberds and crossbows. Yes the UNSC fucking should have lasers, hover tanks, and shit like SABOT ammunition for assault rifles if not railguns. Because using the cartridge for 605 years is fucking insane considering those things are supposed to change every half century.
>>
>>43496081
there is a big difference between a arquebus and a 50. cal sniper rifle. Considering that the UNSC are still using the equivalent to an Arquebus apart from a few pieces like the Spartan Laser, which is a brand-new thing, its lazy on the part of the developers
>>
>>43496081
Laser GUN, Rail GUN, Plasma GUN.

I am not disputing the usage of guns, I am disputing the usage of essentially the same guns we have now.
>>
>>43496066
I remember during the horus heresy books that there was a titan on a space marine ship I believe, I remember there was a 'journalist/auto-biographer' that took a picture of a captain who was receiving his rite for the mission and there was a Titan in the background of the picture she took.

I could be wrong I don't quite remember
>>
>>43495934
>In the 40kRPGs
that's great bro, but in the actual game it's the other way around
>>
>>43496082
>(in game designer minds)
You have to go for fluff rather than in-game numbers, else you get bogged down in concessions the company makes for gameplay balance.

>>43496085
>I take a single source as authoritative in every situation for an entire galaxy
>>
>>43496100
Especially when you realize the UNSC could do so much more. Like mounting spartan laser "missile pods" on Pelicans that cycle each shot so you can have what is basically automatic spartan laser fire without overheating or fucking mechas on par with the bigger tau shit. It just makes the UNSC look like retards.
>>
>>43496052

They have railguns though, that's what a MAC is, and they have railguns in Halo 4 and I *think* a book featuring the Sergeant.

Laser rifles are a different story, the problem with them is energy management and the Spartan Laser was seen as a breakthrough because of it.

We're nowhere near plasma weaponry or even laser rifles, and the problems with railguns mean they're limited to ships. Halo does a lot of whacky shit but their vision of Humanity is pretty damn realistic.
>>
>>43496134
FFG isn't/barely is canon. Quoting anything from it is worthless when it contradicts information produced by Gee Dubs.
>>
>>43495947

Lasguns hit as hard at .50cal sniper rifles
with auto fire...
>>
>>43496136

The UNSC have mechs, problem is they're clunky as shit and don't function half as well as a good treaded tank.
>>
>>43496136
Especially because people call showing anything that has to do with tech advancement 343 ruining Halo.

>>43496149
Gee Dubs fully admits that there is no canon. And even if you ignore that, they also explicitly say that a huge variety exists for every single gun.
>>
>>43496167
they had something similar to the Vital Suits from lost planet before it was blown up by the covvies
>>
>>43495839
>The Elites and other ex-covenant races have spent the past 700 years with next to no innovation or scientific tradition?
Not quite.
The Brutes develop and make their own stuff based on their own tech.
>>
>>43495976
You might get three Baneblades if you're lucky. Struck by lightning twice while getting attacked by a shark lucky. They wouldn't have any titans as the titans aren't fielded by the IG.
>>
>>43496169
FFG has stated that whenever its fluff conflicts with GW's, it's non canon. Lasguns are very, very, very superior to assault rifles in both the Black Library and BRB/Codices.
>>
>>43496101

Didnt the Warthog have a railgun? The problem we're running into isn't the technology not being there, it's miniaturization. It's perfectly reasonable to assume we'd still have problems with rifle-sized plasma/laser weaponry 500 years into the future.

>>43496085

The UNSC has Super MACs, slipstream drives, true AI and power armor, I don't think they've been skipping plasma pistols because it just doesn't fit the decor.
>>
>>43496215
the later versions of the warthog had a railgun towards the end of the human-covenant war
>>
>>43496169
>Especially because people call showing anything that has to do with tech advancement 343 ruining Halo.
It's 343 ruining Halo because the tech advancement is done poorly, not because it's there.
I mean, have you seen the S-IV armour designs? Or how the railgun is the only human weapon with a projectile slow enough to be visible?
>>
File: autogun.png (389 KB, 900x340) Image search: [Google]
autogun.png
389 KB, 900x340
>>43495963
>Autoguns are not at all like modern day assault rifles
mmph, they kind of are

However, a single lasbolt's still going to be superior to a burst of autogun fire in most cases. Explosions kind of do that. (hence why lasguns have a save modifier, while autoguns lack one)
>>
>>43495388
You still have navigators. So not blind.
>>
>>43492456
Very little. The Covenant Supercarrier alone is 8km long and equipped with tons of plasma torpedoes.
>>
>>43496246
Astropaths would have died though...
>>
>>43496258
>The Covenant Supercarrier alone is 8km long
27km long
>>
>>43496258
The Emperor class is like 25km and have Lance arrays that fuck planets up. Takes a million+ people to crew the damn things.
>>
>>43495606
That is already the case. The heavy version is s9 after all. And the heaviest are lances on battle ships...
>>
>>43496290
>takes millions+

probably because it is so inefficient, while in contrast the supercarrier has a crew of tens of thousands for 28 kilometers
>>
>>43496290
Emperor Battleships are 15km, which technically makes them smaller than Covenant Supercarriers at 27km.
Doesn't change the fact that they basically mount batteries of energy projectors on turrets, though.
>>
>>43494491
This.

People in this thread are also not taking into account that as absurd as this ship is, it can only be in one place at any time.
>>
>>43496291
The Cov would be fucked if the UNSC figured out how to build Lances. But they would need the Adepts to be willing to help, which wouldn't happen.
>>
>>43496258
>using torps against an emperor class
thank the god-emperor for interceptors
>>
>>43496114
Pre Heresy had some pretty epic shit compared to the 41st Millennium. I remember that same scene, but it's been too long for me as well.
>>
>>43496339
Plasma torpedoes have something of a misleading name.
They're basically balls of guided plasma that can one-shot a Halcyon-class cruiser.
Not that that's impressive, mind, just about every relevant ship weapon in Halo can one-shot a UNSC cruiser.
>>
>>43495817
Decent navigators can do it without. It is harder but not impossible. And an emperor class ship would have damn good navigators.
>>
>>43496290
The Covenant Supercarrier is bigger and better armed.

Seriously, I'm sorry to burst your bubble of illusions, but a single W40K isn't an autowin in a lot of setting. It would be a significant asset for the UNSC, but it wouldn't win the war, and the Covenant have ways to destroy it.
>>
>>43495927
Mjolnir Shield systems.
>>
>>43496400
You mean those prohibitively expensive and hard to make things that are only outfitted to super-elite troops?
Along with all of the rest of the UNSC's stuff that isn't regular guns, body armour or (the admittedly impressive) biofoam?
>>
>>43496424
new tech is always more expensive to make when it first comes out. as time goes on, it gets cheaper and can be applied in multiple ways beyond it's original use
>>
>>43496066
They have.
>>
>>43496362
if it's a torpedo, those brave interceptors will stop it
>>
>>43496262
Why?
>>
>>43496471
since the torpedoes don't technically have a limit to how many they can shoot, it would run out of interceptors before the ship runs out of power
>>
>>43496454
Which only really reinforces the point that the UNSC has not advanced much in terms of military technology from us.
In fact, not only is it recent technology, but it's recent technology that was co-opted from the Covenant, so the UNSC didn't even really come up with it.
>>
>>43492456
While immensely powerful and hideously destructive, it's still one ship. One ship that has no place with the tech or tools needed for repairs, resupply. rearmament, or even simple refueling. Even in battle, for all it's awesome might, the Covenant simply flow around it, flank it, and pound it down via one prolonged engagement after another. The UNSC's tech is too different, much more primitive in most areas, and actually better in others, for much of it to be reverse engineered and put in service in anything that can be called a workable timeframe. In the end, the ship itself makes one hell of a dent in the Covenant navy, but it's one they can recover from.

Now, all the guardsmen, tech priests, officers, and everyone else, possibly even some Space Marines, will make a much greeter difference. The slaves though, will almost certainly be freed. The officers in charge of the ship know that the humans in the UNSC will be their only hope of eventually getting back to the Imperium, if that even possible, and working with them will be required.
>>
>>43496515
I think the issue is that the UNSC hasn't been fighting anyone but a bunch of rebelling colonists for a very long time. 400 years without significant conflict and it's not really surprising military tech is outdated and shitty.
>>
>>43493676
>speranza

That shit it's almost forerunner level of bullshit.
>>
>>43496362
Then that's useless, because it'll get stopped by the void shields as an energy weapon even at low velocities.

>>43496386
No they aren't. Covenant Supercarriers are still only armed with megaton weapons. Barrages from Battleships sunder entire continents and can trigger extinction events. The only things in Halo that can beat 40k Ships are Forerunners and the Flood.
>>
>>43496559
you would see small but steady increase in civil tech, but everyone knows that war fuels research, and even the rebels were enough for them to develop power armor and super soilders to deal with the threat
>>
>>43496559
Rebelling colonists are a serious problem for an interstellar empire.

>>43496565
Assuming you're referring to what I think you are, it's way beyond forerunner levels of bullshit.
Seriously, weapons that work by erasing the target from time are flat-out ridiculous.
>>
>>43496557
Except to the crew of the Emp class ship the UNSC is a bunch of heretics and to the AdMech on the ship they're double Horus.
>>
>>43496488
Astropaths are linked to the Emperor. They are basically mini relays for his power (kinda). They would die from not being connected anymore.

Unless the Emps exists in the halo Universe and is just in hiding.
>>
>>43494794
>>43494952
>>43494989
What the hell are you talking about? They were capable of traveling through the warp before the astronomical, humans from the DAoT expanded the human empire without it, the thing in 40k millennium is because the warp gods are more active.
>>
>>43496557
>no place with the tech or tools needed for repairs, resupply. rearmament, or even simple refueling
Actually given what sort of ship (and crew) they're packing, they could probably just make all the shit they'll eventually need.

They've got the brains on board capable of making it happen, and navy ships basically operate under the assumption that they may be isolated for decades to centuries at a time.
>>
>>43496600
How so? So far as they know, they're on some far-flug edge of the galaxy colony that mistakenly thinks they're Holy Terra (so common it's almost a joke), and they've never even heard of the Emperor (also common). Oh, and they're a large human population thats under siege in a war to the knife with a massive xenos threat.

"BUT THEIR UsiNG XeNOSTECh NDA AIBURN tEH HERETIC!!!!!!111111oneonennoeone11!"

Shut up. Just shut up. In such a situation, the AdMech wouldn't even blink. These humans, cut off from the Imperium and backs to the wall, obviously are grasping at straws just to survive. Luckily, the Omnisiaah led them here to show these lost ones the way.
>>
>>43496575
>implying that covenant ships armed with energy projectors can't achieve the same thing
>>
>>43496649
They can work independently for an extended period, but if they undertake combat operations of the level that'd be required, they'd start burning through embarked materials very quickly. Eventually, they'd have to put into port somewhere.
>>
>>43496638
DAoT humanity used a mix of Navigators and powerful AI to travel through the Warp.
>>
>>43496682
Not nearly as quickly.
>>
And once the Admech find proof of massive and uncorrupted archives of ancient-beyond-the-Imperium Archaeotech, and that this is an alternate Earth with a humanity fighting to /reclaim/ it's ancient birthright, shit will get motherfucking /real/.
>>
>>43496682
they have a few spinal-mounted energy projectors which are their capital weapons. an Emperor-class has them as anti-interceptor turrets festooning the hull
>>
>>43496678
They're an outright empire that not only does even know about the Emperor and use xenos tech, they're outright brimming with Abominable Intelligences. Best case scenario is they help them without letting them get anywhere near the ship or its technology then immediately turn on them after beating the Covenant. More than likely they'd just let them fight it out with the Covenant and finish off whoever was left.
>>
>>43496738
halo isn't anywhere close to DAoT. it is only M3, nowhere near what the AdMech sees as archenotech
>>
>>43496748
Don't get too ahead of yourself, anon.

>>43496754
Or maybe the captain of the vessel harbours heretical aspirations and uses the Covenant's worship of the Forerunners along with humanity's obscured status as reclaimers and the might of an Emperor-Class battleship to take over the Covenant and acquire his very own space empire.
>>
>>43496748
normally, im in the camp of of 40K, but that is a gross over exaggeration
>>
>>43496763
Oh, so the 30,000 year old vaults hidden away in slipsapce that were constructed by the humans that fought both the Flood and the Forerunners to a standstill aren't "archaeotech."

Thats why the sparks (343, ect) and the ancient AI's calls Master Chief and the other humans "Reclaimers."
>>
>>43496754
>outright empire
You have to have at least a few thousand worlds before you qualify as an Empire in 40k standards.
>>
>>43496802
>fought both the Flood and the Forerunners to a standstill
They fled from the Flood and were devolved back to the stone age by the Forerunners. Hardly a standstill.
>>
>>43496802
for the purposes of this discussion, were talking about the human-covenant war, IE halo 1-3 and its related media that takes place. this is because the OP specfically stats covenant, not the neo-covenant or the storm, but the ones that are led by the Shan'sum.

>>43496825
they fought the forerunners while fighting a losing war with the flood. they won the war with the flood, but the flood took too much form the human fleets and the forerunners finally decided to bring out the big guns and go on a total war front. even then, the humans still fought for years. the final battle above the capital of the human empire alone lasted for 50 years
>>
>>43495817
Humanity used warp travel long before the Emperor manifested.
>>
>>43496846
Cue the Diacts penis-envy fueled hatred of humanity, even in it's fallen state.
>>
>>43496878
Being honest, I'm not a fan of 343's 'human master race' plot.
I much preferred it when humanity was barely pulling through against ridiculous odds through a mixture of luck, more luck and good old-fashioned grit.
Oh, and making friends.
>>
I feel I should flex my autism and point out that, no, an Emperor does -not- in fact carry regiments of Imperial Guard, and certainly not any armor. It's a battleship, or a carrier hybrid under some classifications. The Navy has dedicated troopships for lugging around any groundpounders. At most, it'll have maybe a regiment's worth of naval armsmen, but put those guys on the ground and they qualify for a bunch of poorly-equipped light infantry at best.
>>
>>43496700
Nah, I mean with the amount of bodies, raw materiel and the cogboys on board they could set up shop pretty much anywhere.

A single priest can have a pre-industrial colony churn out a warp-capable starship in a decade. The crew of an emperor would be much better off.
>>
File: butt heresy.png (83 KB, 466x469) Image search: [Google]
butt heresy.png
83 KB, 466x469
>>43492456
>shielding for their Stormtroopers
>no shielding for their ships

it's like that one day the Gellar fields failed and every day was opposite day
>>
>>43495927
>The UNSC is fucking retarded man, they are using weapons tech we have available to us for their Infantry, and they are 500 years in the future.

Bungie did that expressly to make them feel more relateable.
>>
File: 11657798413.jpg (38 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
11657798413.jpg
38 KB, 500x418
>>43496944
>A single priest can have a pre-industrial colony churn out a warp-capable starship in a decade

you fuckin wot m8?
>>
>>43495786
No they don't

Plasma pistols have a secundary fire mode which can be charged to act as an emp blast
>>
>>43496944
While I don't doubt that a ship that size has onboard manufactorums for basic shit, it's going to need raw material at some point, and some things just can't be replaced. While it might be able to jury-rig something for its weapons depending on what type of macrobatteries it's equipped with, they might have to start cannibalizing their strike craft in order to keep them up and running. At least it doesn't have a nova cannon, they'd never be able to find more shells for that.
>>
>>43496998
The fuck? Source on that? They have a maximal mode, but that's basically just a charge shot.
>>
>>43496682
Remind me the last time a Fleet of Covenant ships blew up a planet in a day or less by just shooting it with plasma beams.
>>
>>43493060
>This is the kind of ship that a couple of volleys will leave a planet uninhabitable.

Sources required. Last I counted, it would take a fleet of a hundred imperial ships hundreds of years to destroy an earth-sized planet.
>>
>>43496967
>Doesn't know about the primitive colony that built a new star for the Emperor.

It was crazy fun, apparently they can easily built ships if they have raw materials at hand.
>>
>>43495489
>Yo still don't have have the light of the emperor, nor do you have an actual map.

Neither did the original human ships creating a galaxy-spanning civilization before the Emperor ever revealed himself.
>>
>>43497061
are you asking for actual full on destruction of a planet by breaking it apart, or the act of rendering it uninhabitable on a total scale. the later of which was used frequently in the war, and while not every planet they conquered was glassed, enough were that there is an entire portion of space that is referred to the glasslands, which are sectors of space that have had the entire planet bombarded until nothing was left on the surface except the glass like substance left over from the orbital bombardment. if you're talking about total planetary destruction by breaking the planet apart, nothing used by the covenant during the time achieved it. the UNCS has the Nova bombs, which is basically a bunch of nukes strapped together to make a bigger one that will break off a large chunk of a planet. did the covenant have weapons that could cause such destruction? we don't know, but they were capable of glassing a planet, depending how how thorough they wanted to be, between a few hours to 2 days
>>
File: 1432174730063.jpg (21 KB, 400x418) Image search: [Google]
1432174730063.jpg
21 KB, 400x418
>>43497120
>>
>>43497094
https://youtu.be/NNc242mbiUs

It's a single warhead that sets the planet on fire.

The other ships are just to keep the way clear and soften the defences so they don't fuck with the planet busting warhead.
>>
>>43492456
GUYS YOU ARE FORGETTING SOMETHING.

The ship drives won't work because there is no Warp in the Halo universe.

It's a giant deathtrap of STL junk.
>>
>>43492456
well they would immediately declare war on the filthy alien scum but would just a quickly turn on the UNSC after they found out they were using AI
>>
File: jamie2.jpg (16 KB, 379x480) Image search: [Google]
jamie2.jpg
16 KB, 379x480
>>43497164
>>
>>43497149
>Dawn of War
>Canon

But seriously, that ship was called in for Exterminatus, and so carries specific weapons for destroying planets. That's not standard equipment by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>43497129
A single Strike Cruiser can glass a planet. I'm talking about mass scattering it Death Star style.

>>43497094
>What was Nostramo
I hope you're baiting, because otherwise you're so woefully ignorant of 40k you shouldn't even be posting in this thread. Night Lords Legion fleet blew up their homeworld, which had a solid fucking adamantium crust, in under a day by dumping lance shots until they blew the planet up so hard that people found chunks of Nostramo drifting 200 light years away from its original point in a mere ten thousand years.

Exterminatus weapons like cyclonics are only used because they can be used to instantly neutralize a threat compared to a day's bombardment by a large fleet. But planet busting is not difficult at all with 40k ships- in Death of Integrity the two combined Chapter Fleets of the Novamarines and Blood Drinkers plan to blow up a Space Hulk the size of a large Moon (made entirely of metal mind, including adamantium hulls and wraithbone) in two days.

The only reason why this shit isn't more common is because the Imperium would rather waste multiple Space Marine Chapters than blow up a valuable, habitable planet.
>>
>>43497145

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lunar_Cruiser

Check it out
>>
>>43497170
Any ship the size of a Battle Barge or so can be loaded with exterminatus weapons, although as I mentioned here >>43497172 the Imperium by no means needs exterminatus weapons to actually blow up a planet.

>>43497145
The Mechanicum Codex is insane. It mentions the Admech building entire battleships and fleets in a matter of months.
>>
>>43497165
They might realize they're in the past and instead try to warn the humans and contact the Emperor.
>>
>>43497172
I'm guessing all your sources are Black Library novels.
>>
>>43497145
>The Lunar-class cruiser forms the mainstay of Battlefleet Obscuras with over six hundred ships serving throughout the Segmentum and more than twenty ships fighting in the Gothic War. The uncomplicated design of this class ensures its enduring utility, enabling vessels to be built ad hive and industrial worlds normally unable to muster the expertise to construct a capital ship. Perhaps the most remarkable example of this is the Lord Daros, constructed at the feral world of Unloth. The primitive tribesmen dwelling there were influenced to mine and smelt metals which were then presented for 'sacrifice' at sky temples established by the planetary lord. The raw materials were then lifted into orbit at each vernal equinox. After a period of eleven years, the tribes were rewarded for their effort with the sight of a bright new star moving across the heavens as the Lord Daros boosted out-system to join Battlefleet Obscuras
-Battlefleet Gothic core rulebook, pg. 110

It's very much an extreme example using a mundane design, and it probably took a hell of a lot longer than it should have, but it did happen.
>>
>>43497170
On the night bringer novel the strike cruiser of the ultramarines was the only ship equipped with ciclonic torpedoes and was asked by some inquisitor to blow up the planet to prevent some heretics and dark eldars to resurrect a c'tan shard, it's stated that most chapters can blow up planets with a single ship.
>>
>>43497178
The operative word here being can be, and more often than not a Navy ship isn't going to get them as opposed to an Inquisitorial vessel. An Emperor certainly couldn't anyway, as it doesn't have torpedo tubes.
>>
>>43497180
>Be an Immortal Demi-god.
>Be the self appointed Guardian of Mankind.
>Seen how events should play out, already implanted the ideas of spatrans to that scientist chick. Everything should work out.
>Get work about a fuck huge ship that has a giant statue of me on it... Better check it out.
>>
>>43497172
which was addressed when i said that nothing in the related media other than the nova bomb can crack a planet. it doesn't take a fleet to glass a planet, any capital ship in the covenant can do so. i doubt a single ship with out the proper armaments can actually destroy a planet death star style. evey method described requires specific weapons to fully crack a planet
>>
>>43497186

The problem with that is the 'sky-temples' would have been brought along to the planet by the Admech. Not quite the same thing as claimed in >>43496944.
>>
>>43497185
Do you know anything about 40k, at all?The destruction of Nostramo has been known since the third edition in Index Astartes.

Also, Black Library books
>>
>>43497232
*Black Library books are perfectly canon. No different than the Codices and Rulebooks, only the Codices can even be more insane. Like how the Tau and Imperium pump out continent sized battlestations in small periods of time as standard operation.
>>
>>43497011
>it's going to need raw material at some point
And I'm saying they have the population and equipment to set up mining and manufacturing facilities on any space rock they come across.
>>
>>43497232
>Some column from a White Dwarf twenty years ago.
>Black Library novels

Great sources you got here, bro.
>>
>>43497291
Manpower, yes. Equipment, no. A battleship isn't going to be carting around heavy mining equipment.
>>
>>43497301
All are canonical unless they are trumped by a newer source.
>>
>>43497303

Would they have the expertise to manufacture much even if they had the equipment to do so? I mean, armor plating and certain types of ammo, sure, but the more sophisticated systems would be beyond the crew, no?
>>
>>43497223
Contrary to /tg/s opinion the admech are actually pretty good at technology, they would be able to work on the UNSC installations, they can literally interact with the machines and do complex analysis and calculations by themselves, they few adepts could probably make copies of the ship if they have the materials, and without the adeptus Terra behind their backs they would use the fuck of AIs.
>>
File: 1445201114894.jpg (154 KB, 1016x970) Image search: [Google]
1445201114894.jpg
154 KB, 1016x970
>>43497301
>Index Astartes
>Some White Dwarf article.

Y'know you had me right up to there.
>>
>>43497319
Even a cruiser's going to have a full complement of tech-priests of varying rank on board.

>>43497303
>A battleship isn't going to be carting around heavy mining equipment.
says who? Even assuming they aren't loaded with extra gear thanks to the nature of imperial ships, any navy vessel with boarding parties on board is going to have the necessary gear for some mining.
>>
>>43497319
Most everybody would probably be clueless outside of the enginseer prime and his acolytes. This being an Emperor, it's probable that outside of general shipboard duties, much of their training would have focused on the maintenance and upkeep of the ship's strike craft. It's anyone's guess what they do when the munitorium runs dry.
>>43497363
Says common sense. Battleships are not cargo vessels, and what little spare room an Emperor has is going to be dedicated to either macrobattery shells, hangers, or machine shops for the small craft.
>>
>>43497022
Excuse me, That's what I meant with secundary mode/fire
>>
>>43497379
>Says common sense. Battleships are not cargo vessels
Imperial Ships are floating hives, and it only gets worse the larger they are. Common sense has long been thrown out the window.
>>
>>43497410
The maximal setting is basically just a charged buster shot, I don't remember anything about EMP effects.
>>43497417
Yes, but they're also purpose-built. A rogue trader might have some gathering dust in bay 7 for no reason, but the Navy isn't going to waste a precious battleship carting around shit it doesn't need when it could be off bombing something.
>>
>>43497379
For a ship of that size and class? They'll most likely have more than one magi class adept to run that shit.
>>
>>43494952

Thankfully, the galaxy that 40k is set in and the galaxy that Halo is set in are one and the same.
>>
>>43497443
Eh, depends on the Admiral/Captain in question. Also IOM ships are so nutty and old that you could probably run into a Space Marine if you explore enough.
>>
>>43497458
What if instead of an Emperor class ship they run into an Ark Mechanicus ship?
>>
>>43497458
>be janitor #2478-9031
>dusty the aft bulkheads and fixing holes in the hull with duct tape
>open the door storage room #230678996-13386/A
>greeted with a bolter barrel in my face
>manage a quick glimpse of 4 space marines around a poker table and a fussball table in the back before shitting my pants and running
>hear a bellow from behind me
"you didn't see NUTHIN'!"
>a cursory search later showed a perfectly kept storage closet and a summary execution for diverting manpower from the sorely distressed communal bathrooms.
>>
>>43497524
covenant stop going after human world and divert entire fleets to fight it

humans wonder what the fuck is going on with the covenant and spend years due to shit slipstream drives to find out whats happening and rebuild fleets in preperation for the eventual counter attack

AdMech are swarmed by covenant, eventually fleeing allowing them to lick their wounds while taking large amount of covenant ships down, probably 15-20 ships per jump, but eventually gets destroyed though attrition unless the leading Magos gets the ships machine spirit to open up all the good weapons, thus prolonging its life by several months depending on how fast the covenant can move fleets around and search for the ship
>>
>>43495934
except lasguns can shoot through 3 meters of concrete
>>
>>43497605
What if they go full speranza?
>>
>>43493024
It's lead based.
>>
>>43496134
Halo is designed to take ALOT of it's canon from the games.

Or are you now going to question the Bungie Bible?
>>
>>43497443
>but the Navy isn't going to waste a precious battleship carting around shit it doesn't need
Assault boats and heavy duty lascutters are quite explicitly "shit it needs"

The emperor class would be THE battleship to have if you wanted to set up an ad-hoc mining colony.
>>
>>43497605
It would be a nightmare for the covenant, a mysterious ship appearing from nowhere devastating fleets and leaving no slipspace traces but anomalous readings, attacking docking posts stealing resources, military materials and leaving almost no bodies, because the assholes would take the bodies for further studies.
>>
>>43497977
Or to feed the fuck huge crew.
>>
guys
guys

the b8 is incomplete.

What if it's a Space Marine Battle Barge?
>>
>>43496308
Eh given their size imperial ships a hugely under crewed relative too our navel ships (the cobra destroyer for example is approximately 1000 times the size of our destroyers but only has aboit 50 times the crew). A large portion of those forces are also naval armsmen for boarding actions and such.
>>
>>43497170
> That's not standard equipment by any stretch of the imagination.

A battleships main batteries are the standard equipment the Navy uses too perform exterminatus. The exotic anti planet Munitions like cyclonic torpedoes are use by groups like the inquisition because they rarely have a whole battleship and escorts at hand.
>>
File: Bomb_Baby!_edited.jpg (10 KB, 188x177) Image search: [Google]
Bomb_Baby!_edited.jpg
10 KB, 188x177
>“This is the prototype NOVA Bomb, nine fusion warheads encased in lithium triteride armor. When detonated, it compresses its fissionable material to neutron-star density, boosting the thermonuclear yield a hundredfold. I am Vice Admiral Danforth Whitcomb, temporarily in command of the UNSC military base Reach. To the Covenant uglies that might be listening, you have a few seconds to pray to your damned heathen gods. You all have a nice day in hell...”

1.2 petaton blast equal to 18,566,355 Hiroshima-style fission bombs

just sayin
>>
>>43496967
It was a short story in the BFG rulebook.
A Priest was able to get a civilisation to do the mining and heavy lifting needed to make a Luna Class (I think) Crusier.
It doesn't mention them, but there would have been Ad-Mech overseeing construction and doing the fiddly bits.
It takes a decade and at the end of it the civilisation observed the new ship taking off and flying away. Joyed at seeing the new star they had made take to the heavens.
>>
>>43498193
But what are you saying? Halo has crazy firepower? The imperium ship can do that too? The covenant should be able to do that? Its a cool quote, but I can't make sense of it in context.
>>
>>43494531
Just because a ship is bigger or smaller doesn't mean that it has the same armour, shields, firepower or technology.
>>
>>43494531
And the forerunner keyship is 10 km too, doesn't mean the carrier can beat it.
>>
>>43492456
So let's escalate this shit. What if an entire Sector Battlefleet shows up instead of the single Emperor class? Support ships included.
>>
>>43498321
Not him, but it's almost a given that the Covenant could match it. They have antimatter bombs in their arsenal which, when applying real physics, are a magnitude stronger than fusion bombs. This would be enough to cripple or even destroy the battleship, depending on the full yield and whether or not it could be effectively deployed.
>>
>>43498490
Well then that's a definite loss too the covenant. A whole fleet and its support ships is basically a self sufficient military force.
They're lacking in the numbers to do any serious ground war. But they've got easily got the capability to get and maintain space superiority wherever they care to go.
>>
>>43496236
It's been only a few years & humanity has all the leftover Covenant & Forerunner technology from the previous war. There's room for growth.
>>
>>43497639
How did that description go again? I remember questioning the physics of the way that was depicted.
>>
>>43497987
Mechanicus abducting living specimens for experimentation and grinding the corpses into nutrition powder. Now that's what alien nightmares are made off.
>>
>>43495726
bad analogy

if they had comparable tech and time to reverse engineer it they might be able to do something

ala current nuclear energy race/competition

sure that's 37k years of advancement, but when you have tonnes of the things and engineers capable of creating AI and interstellar ships anyhow, theres a chance
>>
>>43495817
You know nothing, how do you think the human empires expanded before the Emperor took the throne?
Also, the astronomican doesn't extend through the entire galaxy, but somehow war groups and rogue traders function on the fringe. Wouldn't really be possible if the astronomican was required for warp travel.
>>
>>43497524
Remember the slipspace bomb in Reach?
That, on a turret.
>>
Did anybody save the Spartan vs Space Marine posts one anon made that got quite deep into the stuff? I need it.
>>
>>43499819
I think I have it, gimme a sec Anon.
>>
>>43496575
People need to cut the crap with the "But Halo is only Megatons" stuff. It's obviously not. Look at how they describe the actual weapons being used and the effect it has.

They only say megatons because they're Sci-Fi writers without a good sense of scale. It's like when 40k writers describe a force of 500,000 IG taking over an entire planet or a hundred billion people living in a single single city.
>>
>>43499819
>>43499935
And turns out I didn't have it, sorry anon.
>>
>>43500062
es okay.
>>
>>43496609
Wow... unless something has changed in the last 10 years (that I didn't manage to catch) you are dead wrong.
Astropaths are typically psykers that went through the soul binding ceremony with the Emperor. It greatly damages their bodies but ensures they can no longer be used as easily as an entry way from the warp. Daemons can still overwhelm them but it takes a lot more effort. Plenty of Astropaths exist without the Emperor being around. They can be cut off by warp storms, or be out on the fringe with rogue traders or battle fleets.
>>
>>43498531
No they can't. The Antimatter charge only blew up a small orbital station, it's no where near the power of a NOVA bomb.

Also NOVA bombs are a non factor. They're so rare that you can count the number of times they've been used on one hand. They might as well not exist.
>>
>>43500014
The actual effect they have aren't gigaotns anon. Megatons are "oh shit the city/county ceased to exist". Gigatons and teratons are "oh shit that entire nation/continent ceased to exist".

If Covenant ships actually had gigaton/teraton weapon arrays, they would be doing a whole lot more than just scarring the top of the continents.
>>
The covenant do have gigatons...it's just they seem to only use it for glassing planets except for literately just one time they used it on a ambush against the infinity.

Presumably it's either really limited in range, or requires the ship to completely use all it's power to it, or maybe even both.
>>
>>43498193
>neutron-star density

Is that even possible? I mean, isn't neutron stars like the densest you can pack matter, just a bunch of neutrons sitting there side by side?
>>
Just gonna weigh in here....

Let's assume, first off, that the UNSC can strap on some basic slipspace to compensate for the emperor warp stuff not working. Ok. We know UNSC stuff isn't particularly fast, so that's problematic. The ship is obviously powerful, so powerful in fact the UNSC may opt to keep it in the solar system so it cannot be ambushed or damaged just by accident (could you imagine towing that bitch through slipspace if it had a problem?).

Now that's one possible tactic, in which case the UNSC's tech is accelerated, but even if they are accelerated it doesn't mean they have the capacity. You could tell the Department of War in 1943 how to build an M1A2 tank with depleted uranium armor, thermal scanners, etc. it wouldn't matter if you had every technical detail, because the industry and tech to make it hasn't scaled to that point yet. At best you would see very small things being incorporated incrementally, rather than drastic leaps.

The other option is they deploy it. BFD, the emperor doesn't know where the covies are, and with UNSC FTL it is slow as shit. It could literally spend days crawling through slipspace while the whole war happens around it. Which raises another point, it can't be everywhere at once. The covies may not be willing to invade the Sol system, but if they burn everything else then what's to stop them from just letting humanity wither until they can make a return? Even if the Emperor is stronger than a dozen supercarriers it won't matter if the covenant gathers enough resources to build a hundred, while the emperor and remnant UNSC fleet is stuck using the presumably depleted resources of the sol system. Even when they attack, what is to stop the covies from charging past the emperor? Gonna shoot at covies with the earth behind them? If you miss you are horribly damaging the earth. What if they start landing while you r blasting ships? Using the planet as cover?

Tldr; it delays but not prevents the invasion of earth.
>>
>>43501572
Requires a severe lowering of shields, reduced speed, and sensors. depending on the output it could either just glass the top few feet or turn the entire mantle into a liquid state.
>>
>>43501685
Well i suppose if neutron stars can do it why can't we? Also a blackhole is technically the densest but thats assuming theres matter there at all.
>>
>>43501685
It's just energy, anon. I mean, it's not going to STAY in that form for long outside a neutron star or some very exotic containment, but there's no reason why you couldn't get it to that form if you have some way of pumping enough energy into pushing it together.
>>
>>43495388
It's like travelling without maps through calm, open ocean.
>>
>>43501972
Thats called suicide.
>>
File: 1404766565644.png (464 KB, 1320x3769) Image search: [Google]
1404766565644.png
464 KB, 1320x3769
>>43501972
Randomly hopping through space is going to give you a bad time. Yeah they could do it, but that's the sort of shit that feeds space hulks or runs vessels into stars.

>>43499819
I've got a couple
>>
File: robot fight.png (69 KB, 1380x528) Image search: [Google]
robot fight.png
69 KB, 1380x528
>>
>>43502416
>>43502438
Thanks mango, that's the one I had in mind.
>>
>>43501492
They'd be, I dunno, setting atmospheres on fire? Something that they do pretty regularly?
>>
>>43502969
I remember when we had those threads almost daily.
>>
File: Republic_Commandos_by_jpc_art.jpg (534 KB, 708x1000) Image search: [Google]
Republic_Commandos_by_jpc_art.jpg
534 KB, 708x1000
>>43502416
>tfw your favorite sci-fi ubersoldiers can't keep up because they're not nearly as modified, even if their tech is just as good if not better in some respects
Republic Commandos and Mandalorians were my favorite before Traviss sue'd them up.
>>
>>43496114
IIRC angron's conqueror also had decks for servicing packs of warhounds.
>>
>>43496967
BFG fluff. It's a legit thing that happens in the Imperium.

Lunars are favoured because they can enlist the thousands of shitty feudal populations in the Imperium to build them while the real factorium-ridden planets churn out more complex, powerful designs.
>>
>>43503394
all that matters is they're super soldiers in the context of their original setting
>>
File: clonecommando.jpg (78 KB, 517x800) Image search: [Google]
clonecommando.jpg
78 KB, 517x800
>>43504635
They certainly are. RCs don't really have an equal in terms of organized armies and the Mandos are a step above that. They're just not big players because the words "organized government" mean little to them except for the Old Republic and Legacy eras.
>>
>>43495431
No, actually. Multiple fluff sources say that if the Warp is still, you are BEcalmed and thus TRAPPED in the Warp. The tides of the Warp is what pushes you forward when you're warping, not the Warp engine which just gets you into the Warp and gets you out again.
>>
>>43499816
Truly an ark mechanicum would be a nightmare in the halo verse.
>>
>>43502416
The mechanicum send whole fleets trough the nightmarish warp storms back the day the sol system was isolated from the galaxy and many of those founded forgeworlds before the empire was a thing, yes you can travel without the astronomicon and with a competent navigator and calculations you can travel anywhere without the astronomicon, it just make it even more easier with it.
>>
>>43504967
And by easier I mean not lost yourself for ever on hell, yes you can travel without the astronomicon but you'll almost always choose astronomicon over going blind, many ship will and get lost on the warp, but ships of this size and rank have only the best and more skilled navigators the imperium have to offer.
>>
>>43504683
Pretty sure that the supersoldiers are the Jedi and Sith anon. Mandalorians and Clones are fairly overhyped.
>>
>>43505828
Jedi and sith are monks and shit, not soldiers.
The real supersoldiers are elite droid types like Magnaguards or Sentinels.
>>
File: SithWarriors-TORtrailer.jpg (437 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SithWarriors-TORtrailer.jpg
437 KB, 1280x720
>>43506473
>jedi and sith are not soilders

not saying that they are super soldiers, but saying that they are not is false
>>
>>43494551
>all these spelling errors and run-on sentences
Halo fans, everyone.
>>
>>43494952
It's not an unreasonable idea that they could grab ahold of some good star charts.
Aside from that, this technically is the same galaxy. Space changes over time, but not so much that they would be completely lost.
>>
>>43506534
They're religious orders, fighting is a means to their end, not the reason for their existence.
>>
>>43507094
it's pretty central, they're called jedi knights for a reason. the way obi-wan describes them in the beginning revolves almost entirely around fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpJnMVKO6Vo
>>
>>43507383
That explanation was later retconned, though.
Jedi were peacekeepers, and preferred negotiation to actually fighting.
>>
All the ground tech and forces are essentially useless, the USNC had a good track record of winning ground campaigns with the forces it had. The 40k tech would likely not enter mass production due to the amount of resources needed to tool up for such an program simply not being available during mobilization, again in Halo cannon a number of modernization programs were canceled or scaled back as the Navy consumed all available resources.

Assuming working FTL the ship itself would be a massive boon to the UNSC, particularly in the early stages of the war when Covenant fleets remained small. The problem comes from logistics. Eventually the Emperor-class is going to need serious repairs that the UNSC is not able to fully repair, lowering its effectiveness. Given the broad front, the limited availability of the Emperor-class, the inability of the UNSC to restore it to proper fighting condition and the incredible naval reserves of the Covenant the outcome would simply be the UNSC losing slower.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.