[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the NFL putting a team in London a good or bad idea?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8
File: dm_130924_nfl_HotReadLondon.jpg (39 KB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
dm_130924_nfl_HotReadLondon.jpg
39 KB, 576x324
Is the NFL putting a team in London a good or bad idea?
>>
I would be open to the idea of a European league and an American League and once every two or four years "American football" will have a world cup type tournament for greatest team in the world
Although I'd assume China is more likely as their version of American football is really taking off
>>
Shit idea, could only work if the traveling team played a Thursday night game or has a bye the week before...teams that travel cross country already typically underperform, can't imagine how bad western teams would do playing in London
>>
>>69571758
bad, bad idea.

No grassroots supporters, no American football culture, no college football, way too much travel for players, 5h MINIMAL time difference, heavy competition from rugby (London has 2 elite rugby teams), not even mentionning association football
>>
They ought to expand broadcasting in the UK and build a knowledgeable base of support before putting a team there.

Adding a team in order to create interest in a sport is what Bettman does. Not surprisingly, the NHL is a distant 4th in terms of sports popularity in the US
>>
>>69571758
>National Football League
>international team
>>
File: Sad.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Sad.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>still no toronto
>>
Premier League team in New York or Boston is a better idea to be honest.
>>
>>69571758
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
is it that time of the month again
>>
>>69571825
>European league
You need teams to make a league.
>>
Can't wait for the New England Patriots to blow out the Old England Pansies.
>>
>>69572373
It's that time of the year. Only regular season baseball for 2 more weeks until NFL training camps start up

Expect /sp/ to be slow and shit
>>
>>69572381
It would be cool if they did a division in Europe, like one team in Germany, two in the UK, and one in France? Not sure if there is any country other than Germany or the UK that actually watches NFL.

Sweden?
>>
File: allhailtheking.jpg (92 KB, 500x588) Image search: [Google]
allhailtheking.jpg
92 KB, 500x588
>>69572416
>>
>>69573054
If you go by success at the Eurobowl, you'd need to consider Germany, Austria and France. The other countries are basically non-existant since 2007
>>
>>69573054

I don't think there would be much point in putting multiple teams in Europe, it takes all the autist ameriboos across europe to sustain a single team.
>>
>>69573116

It's not so important who are the most dominant countries in Europe at playing American Football. The Eurobowl final pulls in about as much people as a high school game in the Texas, and the teams aren't much better either.

It will all be about what is the best and easiest location to make money for a franchise and nothing else.
>>
>>69573123
Yeah I know what you mean, but I was just saying it from a logistical standpoint, it would be "easier" on the NFL/its players to have 4 teams (a division) in Europe so they can play each other 8x a year versus having to fly back to the US for virtually every game.

>>69573116
>Austria

Neat.
>>
>>69573179
Yeah I know.
Unfortunately.
:(
>>
>Implying anyone would care
>>
>>69573123
They say only 3% of attendees the London games at expats

Plus it didn't stop soccer and rugby from trying here
>>
>>69573301

Yes but it only costs like 30 euros to book a plane ticket in Europe if you book in advance, II bet around 50% of the fans that go to NFL Wembley games aren't living in the UK.
>>
Nobody fucking cares about american football other than the small amount of autistic fans of it.

I reckon non autist fans will go to watch a match when it starts but it won't be a thing that gets popular, it'll die out in a few years.
>>
>>69573301
The whole world plays football and quite a lot of countries play rugby.

Literally only you play american football.
>>
>>69573387
The NFL probably considers Europe as the market in which that team would be in
As long as someone is buying the tickets and merchandise they probably couldn't care less
>>
>>69573417
When has Americans cared about the rest of the world?
We still don't use the metric system
>>
>>69573443

That was my point originally, 1 team would work fine because there is just about enough NFL fans in Europe to support a franchise, if you start splitting that market up with a European division within the NFL it will fail hard.
>>
Please keep your shit sport to yourselves.

Seriously, it won't take off, you don't need it to travel.

There is a decent euro basket ball league, ice hockey league and the Japs play baseball.

American football can stay over there thanks. There are already very minor leagues of NFL here, but it's extremely low key, that's enough thanks.

This goes for trying to make Gaelic games big abroad, won't happen so don't try
>>
Quick /sp/ name the new London team for the 2019 expansion, I'll start.

London Bulldogs
London Royals
London Imams
London (insertitemhere)
>>
>>69571758
They should just put one in Toronto already
>>
Why would anyone watch an NFL team when there's already rugby available? The only reason people ever watch the matches in London is for novelty, that'll die out the moment a permanent team is set up here.
>>
>>69573576
London Imperials
>>
>>69573530
thanks
>>
>>69573576

the London Lebonese
>>
>>69573458
>We still don't use the metric system

Maybe if you're in an irrelevant job or study. If you want to get real work done you do.
>>
>>69573576
the Sillynannies
>>
Honestly fucking stupid. American football will never be able to gain such an interest to justify a team or create a competent league.
>>
The NFL is retarded even contemplating this as a good idea.

The UK is a very close-minded sporting culture that 95% cares about divegrass and has little interest in following other sports.

>Rugby!
>Cricket!

Yeah, no.

Their top Rugby Union League only draws about 13K fans per match. To put that in perspective, that is about the average attendance of a AAA minor league baseball team here.

And cricket is dead there. T20 draws about 5k per match and Columbo reruns were beating the Ashes in the ratings on TV.

It would flop massively.
>>
>>69573054
I think you have no idea how irrelevant this sport is here. No one here could name a single player. No one knows anything about it apart from the superbowl, which is known only because it's frequently mentioned in your TV shows.
>>
>>69573752

Rugby and Cricket are extremely popular though, especially on the International level, the difference is that people play cricket and cricket on the weekend in a local league rather than wasting every weekend watching other people play it.
>>
>>69573976

People play cricket and rugby*
>>
File: louis.jpg (32 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
louis.jpg
32 KB, 615x409
Why would you watch a sport that not only moves its teams to different states but to different countries if it's financially beneficial
>>
>>69573576

London Spitfires
London Blitz
British Bulldogs
>>
>>69573489
Shut up nigel, you don't know shit.

1 team might work for whatever city/country gets the team but thay doesnt work for the league. There needs to be a euro division for football to thrive in europe. Other wise you end with a tired ass London team travelling to the US every other week or an unfair 8 homes games in a row followed by 8 away.

A euro division with 4 teams ensures less travel and exhaustion for the players
>>
>>69573675
>the sciences are the only thing that count

t. Someone with no creativity or writing skills
>>
logistically it's a bad idea
>>
I honestly think that people are underrating the popularity of the NFL in Europe. The Super Bowl brings in 100k viewers on an expensive cable package for a 2am Sunday night, which is pretty good for a country of 5-6mil here. I think they have similar popularities for the UK, Sweden, Germany and many parts of Eastern Europe
>>
>>69573576
London Lads
>>
>>69575066
This. The stadium will hold 60k and hosts 8. It will be more than possible to fill it up to 50/55k with around 45k regulars from London and surrounding areas of the UK, and then tourists coming for one or two games from Germany and other bits of Europe
>>
>>69573576
London spitfires is a pretty cool one but I feel that most to do with war or the empire will get raped by SJWs
>>
>>69573080
>Patriots fans in charge of knowing what their mascot even symbolizes
>>
>>69573576
London Britcucks
>>
>>69575166
>SJWs

In a league where the Redskins exist, you need not fear the crybabies.
>>
>>69575114
>60k
Not enough for a foreign based team
>>
>>69573576
London Brexits
>>
>>69575114

I doubt it - that's more than most Premier League teams drag in each week and the scale of NFL is practically zero compared to football here

I think it can (clearly) sustain a single game (or maybe two) in Europe, but no more
>>
>>69571758
It fucking sucks. I live not far from wembley stadium and every time there's an American football match you always get these fat fuck amerilards with there big ass shirts walking around like they own the whole fucking area. Keep your shitty sports and personalities in burgerland.
>>
>>69579141
They've been doing three games in London pretty comfortably for a couple of years now.
>>
>>69571758
It will be a great idea in 50 years m8
better to have a team in Vegas, Toronto, Mexico city, another one in L.A., and Hawaii than anywhere outside of N.A
>>
>>69579338
>37 teams

Good luck making not shit divisions
>>
>>69572244
>No grassroots supporters, no American football culture, no college football, way too much travel for players, 5h MINIMAL time difference,
But enough about why LA shouldn't have a team
>>
>>69579199
Spoiler: We do own your country.
>>
Not now we've left the EU

You'd lose all the supporters from the continent as they'd have to deal with our awful visa system
>>
>>69579428
LA has college football
That's where the Rose Bowl is
Well, near it
>>
>>69579450
Rose Bowl's in Southampton mate, that's not even the same continent as LA
>>
>>69573576
Real London United F.C
>>
>>69572286
how is the broadcasting in the UK ?
Here in Brazil we have MNF,TNF and usually 2 channels on sundays for the mid games.
That's on ESPN,sometimes there is a new channel that gets 1 or 2 games every sunday.
>>
>>69572366
This. Fucking crystal palace was able to sell out a stadium in Ohio tonight, that shit would be ridiculously popular
>>
File: not an awful lot.png (3 KB, 1028x519) Image search: [Google]
not an awful lot.png
3 KB, 1028x519
I have drawn a picture to show how much the average Briton cares about NFL to help illustrate why this would be a bad idea
>>
Better to just give them 8 games a year of random teams, instead of the 3 now.

Ain't no free agents gonna wanna play for London.
>>
>>69579565

Channel 4 (one of the big 5 "terrestrial channels") tried to push it last year - but, and I'm not being a dickhead and denying any and all interest in gridiron just for the sake of it - I genuinely didn't see any uptake in interest from anyone I have spoken to

I don't know anyone who likes it apart from one fella who just likes it because he's a wilfully obstinate nobhead who goes out his way to like unpopular things
>>
>>69572352
>NHL
>canadian teams
fuck off,if there are reasons,that isn't one of them
>>
File: memorialstadium.jpg (977 KB, 2400x1920) Image search: [Google]
memorialstadium.jpg
977 KB, 2400x1920
>>69573600

True but the NFL doesn't have many games anyways

8 games per year is still within the novelty realm. It could be successful in the first couple seasons. I'd be more worried about 5 or 10 years down the road, especially if the team isn't competitive, about people losing interest entirely.
>>
>>69579741
There's doesn't need to be 100% interest
Just enough
538 said that London would be a mid-sized market counting just the people who care
>>
>>69579767
Jesus Christ what an ugly stadium
>>
>>69572359
blame your cuck politicians wanting to protect their meme bust league
>>
>>69578932
the NFL does not give a fuck about attendance they care about TV $.

The Bucks and Jags would be gone if attendance mattered
>>
>>69579833
>Bucks
Don't think the NFL has any control over what happens to Milwaukee's basketball team
>>
We don't want a team in Londonistan

What is the least Muslim-cucked UK city? That's where we should have a post-Brexit NFL team
>>
>>69573589
This (or maybe Montreal).
>>
File: jag.jpg (233 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
jag.jpg
233 KB, 768x1024
>>69579833

The "Jags don't sell tickets" meme is my favorite.
>>
>>69579833
Any potential owner would
And remember that it's gonna cost a ton just to have it there
>>
>>69579338
>mexico city
fuck off,give us some use to the stadiums we have.
The Brazilian leagues unified for this year's edition
the matches still suck,but anyway,it is fairly big already.
Some of the bigger local finals get up to 20k
>>
>>69571758
>wins and losses split exactly down home vs away games
>>
>>69573589
niggers hate crossing the border. they hate that they cant watch e!spn. any team outside of america would be a total bust.
>>
>>69575066
>>69575114
>>69580239
>P..P..P..P-PLEASE NOTICE US BIG STRONG AMERICANS :(
pathetic
>>
>>69579661
To be fair, the vast majority of those fans were rooting for FC Cinncinati.
>>
>>69573054

Maybe they could call it the World League of American Football, or NFL Europe, of NFL Europa. It wouldn't be a giant money sink failure at all
>>
>>69580321
>Has another country's flag inside his flag
>>
>>69578932
That's the stadium the NFL have already promised they will give a franchise to.

>>69579141
It can fill up Wembley for 3 games and that's with shitty match ups and no team pride from the attendance. It's not insane to imagine a smaller stadium with games that matter being able to do it. You're seriously underestimating the population of London alone, let alone the fans from outside London. I'm in Glasgow and I'd be willing to travel down for at least half the games.
>>
go to bed, Goodell.
>>
>>69573054
>>69571825
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Europe
>>
File: 1172159.jpg (88 KB, 786x591) Image search: [Google]
1172159.jpg
88 KB, 786x591
>>69573576
London Khans
>>
>>69582197
This, why do people forget this was a thing and it was a colossal failure
>>
>>69582347
they don't, but nfl europe has zero in common with having an actual nfl team in london.
>>
>>69582347
and it wasn't a colossal failure anyway. it launched the careers of some hall of fame players.
>>
>>69579141
The Dolphins-Raiders game was sold out man, if those 2 shits can fill an stadium just imagine if good teams went there
>>
>>69571758
Wouldn't it be 100% American players? What would be the point? I can imagine stirring some interest for a year or two but after that it'd just be a financial sink hole and a fuck around for the teams that have to travel across the Atlantic every couple weeks to play them.

Yank footy probably won't ever take off in Europe, it's a saturated market and they're too obsessed with soccer for grass roots development to be feasible.

China is the market you want to exploit; it's the 2nd largest economy in the world, largest population, and they don't have a sports league in the world's top 20 (in terms of revenue).

AFL is currently trying to expand there by doing regular season games there, as well as broadcasting with Chinese commentary. I assume NFL is doing the same, or planning on it.
>>
>>69573576
The London Greggs
The London Doles
The Thames Jellyfish
>>
>>69582566
The East End Geezers
The Kensington Toffs
The Whitechapel Jihadis
>>
>>69573576
>>69582597
The Whitechapel Rippers
The Camden Hipsters
The Cockney Wideboys
>>
>>69582401
>losing 30 millions per year
>produced negligible number of players
>not a failure

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2920635&columnist=pasquarelli_len
>>
>>69582162
It won't be good for any potential owner

>>69582347
Difference here is it won't be a team from a literal developmental league

>>69582508
It opens up another viewing window here
The NFL probably couldn't give less a fuck about it
>>
>>69579778
It's a college stadium for a team that hasn't been relevant since '09 But yeah pretty awful
>>
>>69579444
Triples beats doubles
>>
>>69571758
Terrible idea
>>
>>69571758
Ask yourself "Is the EPL putting a team in London a good idea or bad idea?"
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.