[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to english football m8s ? A decade ago they had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: UK-Union-Flag.png (24 KB, 440x280) Image search: [Google]
UK-Union-Flag.png
24 KB, 440x280
What happened to english football m8s ?
A decade ago they had one of the best NTs in the world (Beckham, Scholes, Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Owen, Cole, Lampard), and Premier League was the most entertaining league you could think about ;
Makelele, Adebayor, Henry, Cech, Fabregas, Touré, Xabi Alonso, Neville, Lehmann, Drogba, Ronaldo, Robben, Van Persie, Giggs, Vieira, Van Nistelrooy just to name a few...

Nowadays the top two scorers of the PL can't do shit in the Euro, none of the current world's best players play for PL clubs and most english clubs do nothing in the Champions League

And it's not like they don't have monney anymore, Man City and Chelsea are rich as fuck, Man Utd is almost there as well.
>>
>>69539526
We're doing just fine lad. Kane and Vardy are both great strikers, it's not their fault Roy Hodgson is a senile old cunt.

Also I would say some of the world's best players do play for English teams. Sergio Aguero, Hazard, De Bruyne, Ibrahimovic, Kante, Payet, Martial, etc.

Have faith my son, Leicester will be winning the Champions League in no time at all.
>>
>>69539526
Well Man City reached the semis in the last Champions League. They only lost 1-0 to Real. Chelsea just had a shit season, it might get better now that they got Conte.
Big Spanish clubs just do better because they get all the best South American players.

As for the Euro, the English NT has always been bad.
>>
>>69539569
>Martial
>hazard

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>69539569
>Sergio Aguero, Hazard, De Bruyne, Ibrahimovic, Kante, Payet, Martial

wew
>>
>>69539673
>Big Spanish clubs just do better because they get all the best South American players
2bh it's just MSN, James, Godin, and Mascherano. On the other hand they have:
Iniesta, Bale, C. Ronaldo, Benzema, Busquets, Griezmann, Torres, Saul, Oblack, Ramos, Piqué, Carvajal, Alba, Juanfran, Gabi, Modric, Rakitic, Isco, Pepe. All Europeans (but Pepe).
>>
>>69539827
Yeah I know, never said they only have South American players, just that they get the best ones.
>>
>>69539526
>A decade ago they had one of the best NTs in the world
Their best result was WC QF.
So no.
>>
>>69539526
Oil money
muh Tv deals
>>
>>69539936

We lost on penalties after an even competitive game against the best Portugal side in their history
>>
>>69539526
>A decade ago they had one of the best NTs in the world
mmmm no they didnt. The were never particularly good, they had one good generation and the best they could do was an EURO semifinal.
>>
>>69539936

to be fair Englands 2002 team was toe on toe with the later winner Brazil in QF until Seaman decide to let Ronaldinho score this Freekick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVWqGHsEVWo

meanwhile Germany got into the final with 1-0s in KOs against Paraguay,USA and South Korea
btw
>>
>>69539526
>most english clubs do nothing in the Champions League

english clubs got further than garlic flavour clubs last season m8
>>
>>69540028
>>69540117
>putting asterisks on defeats
Truly a loser's mentality.
>>
>>69540142
French league is a joke, you seriously comparing it to the EPL does not reflect as good on you as you think.
>>
>>69540147

says the country that got beat home and away by englel in the qualifiers
>>
>>69540158

not comparing, just saying he's being a hypocrite if he's own league is so shit
>>
>>69540162
But I know we suck at football, what's your excuse?
>>
>>69539526
Don't worry lad, Tottenham will bring it home this year in the Champs League
>>
>>69540176

we know we suck as well
>>
>>69540175
No he isn't, that's not what hypocrisy is.
>>
>>69540191

you can't talk shit about something being shit if you're shit at it too, well you can but expect to get ripped for it
>>
>>69540187
Really? Because that whole conversation stemmed from me saying you sucked and people going "nuh-huh, England only lost to the best teams in the world".
>>
>>69540221

Let me clarify since you seem to be a bit slow. We didn't suck then, we had a fairly decent team. We do however suck now.
>>
>>69540213
Literally all that people do on /sp/ is talk shit about things they suck at: sports.

OP wasn't exactly attacking you, he was remarking on what happened. In no way was he implying that France was any better.
>>
>>69540242
You did suck then, though, and no amount of "but we have excuses for losing early in every competition" is going to change that, that's my whole point.
>>
>>69540244

But by calling calling something or someone is shit at when you are shit at it as well you are opening yourself up for ridicule, am I not speaking english or something?
>>
>>69540278
Other leagues are easier so it's harder to compete with the teams that can win their domestic league fielding some monkeys in football shirts

And even if teams get difficult matches close to important CL games their FA's will just move them to benefit their sides which our FA stubbornly refuses to do
>>
>>69540260

if you consider getting to the quarter finals of a worldwide tournament and thereby putting yourself into a top 8 in the entire world position is sucking I hate to think what your feelings are towards the teams that got knocked out in the group stage. Besides that Brazil game could have gone either way, Brazil were the only real threat to that england side, it's widely thought by most football people, except for awkward contrarian cunts like yourself, that england could have gone all the way to the trophy if they had beaten Brazil.
>>
>>69540278
So you're completely open for ridicule because you talk shit about sports while being shit at them?
Am I not speaking English or do you have such poor logic skills that you don't understand how this applies to literally every post on this board?
>>
>>69540305

that might be a bit too much common sense for the mountainjew to handle desu
>>
>>69540321

I'm not the one talking shit though, the garlic muncher who started the thread is. This is really hard for you isn't it m8?
>>
>>69540316
>if you consider getting to the quarter finals of a worldwide tournament and thereby putting yourself into a top 8 in the entire world position is sucking I hate to think what your feelings are towards the teams that got knocked out in the group stage.
I guess it's all relative, but consider teams like Croatia have done better than that and that nobody would call them "one of the best NTs in the world".

>we lost a game that could have gone either way
When will this meme stop. There's no unfairness there, you lose you lose, there's no moral victory to take in that you didn't get spanked completely or that goals came from defensive mistakes.

>Brazil were the only real threat to that england side, it's widely thought by most football people, except for awkward contrarian cunts like yourself, that england could have gone all the way to the trophy if they had beaten Brazil.
Yeah I'm sure "people" (aka English pundits) think that. People who watched Turkey during the tournament know better.
>>
>>69540278
Calm down. He was saying EPL gradually lost quality and entertaining, despite the tons of money invested in players and clubs.

Is that your definition of "shit" ?
>>
>>69540334
>conspiracy theories and conjectures
>common sense
Oh boy.
>>
>>69540375
>I'm not the one talking shit though
Of course you are, you're giving your opinion about people who are leaps and bounds better at sports than you are. In your specific case, the French pro league.
>>
>>69540242
>Have good players back then but always fail and never even come close to winning anything
>GOAT team la
>>Have good players now but always fail and never even come close to winning anything
>Wah wah, we're so terrible
This is just nostalgia speaking. Come back when you weren't born in 2002.
>>
>>69540386

in my opinion he's wrong
>>
File: sorry what m8.jpg (35 KB, 560x518) Image search: [Google]
sorry what m8.jpg
35 KB, 560x518
>>69539526
>Makelele, Neville
>Entertaining
>>
>>69540414

I'm not talking shit though, I'm pointing out that someone else is talking shit, if I was talking shit I would say something like 'Switzerland is a totally relevant country and they are really, really amazing at sports'
>>
>>69539526
>>69539526
scholes is the only one who cold have been a efinite starter in any of the other big national teams.
If yuo mean they were one of the best NTs in the sense that there were only 6 nations that were definitely above them then you're right, but that was also the best team the've ever had.
So it's not that english football has fallen down now, it was a decade ago that it was far better than usual.
>>
>>69540469
But you said the French league was shit. If you making that observation is fair, why is a Frenchman aking the same observation about the English league (which really, as >>69540386 pointed out, he wasn't even calling it shit) not fair?
>>
>>69540117
if you want to go there spain or italy would have won the tournament had they not been refballed out
>>
i think it's more that we idolised players a lot more back in the mid 2000's
>>
>>69540516

they didn't get as far in the CL therefore they are objectively 'shitter' than the english league, this is currently a fact and will remain so until after the CL this coming season.
>>
>>69540582
>still missing the point that you're the one being hypocritical here
Congrats, British education.
>>
>>69540582
So success in tournaments is the objective measure of quality? So when England never got past the quarter-finals 10-15 years ago, by your logic, that proves that they weren't actually good.
>>
>>69540543
I was so mad because of those fucking refballing asians.
>>
>>69540436

There's a difference between narrowly losing out to one of the great Brazil sides and Portugal's best ever generation of players to getting outplayed and knocked out by fucking Iceland. Brazil 1982 went out in the group stage and that's generally regarded as one of their best ever teams.
>>
brexit will solve it m8s dont worry
>>
>>69539526

Real, Barca and Bayern happened. They hoover up all the worlds best talent, so the PL has to settle for the best of the rest.
>>
>>69539526
as long as they don't have good goaltenders, they will win shit.
>>
>>69539526
>(Beckham, Scholes, Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Owen, Cole, Lampard)
>mfw stupid england fans would say how overrated and overpaid these players are and england need a YOOF SQUAD

look where that got them, the current england players are fucking miles behind the quality that the 00s england team possessed it's a joke
>>
players too up their own arses and think its cool to not have pride in playing for your country so don't even try hard like other teams, let petty squabbles get in the way of team cohesion
>>
>>69542663
inb4 some foreign cunt says these players were all shite
>>
England haven't won anything since 1966, but they always gets overhyped before major tournaments for some reason.
>>
>>69540638

only if 'good' = winning the whole tournament
>>
>>69541050

what's a goaltender minigermany?
>>
compare the euro 2004 and 2016 players for england's opening matches, kek

James < Hart
Neville > Walker
King > Cahill
Campbell > Smalling
Cole > Rose
Beckham > Alli
Lampard > Dier
Gerrard > Lallana
Scholes > Rooney
Rooney > Sterling
Owen > Kane
>>
>>69543109

more like >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> for all them t b h
>>
>>69543109
>Hart > James

Nope. James wasn't great but he wasn't as big a fuck up as Hart.
We didn't realise how good we had it with James in the post Semen days
>>
>>69539526

Guardiola at City

Mourinho visiting Chelsea and his midget assistant chimping out

Leicester imploding

Wenger

Harry Meme

Liverpool fans

yeh I think I'll be watching the English league this year
>>
>>69540117

>Ronaldinho later gets sent off
>Englel still couldn't even get a shot on goal against 10
>>
>>69543109
that euro 2004 squad was so strong on paper, this is why england were always 'hyped' before tournaments because of the calibre of players they had in those teams
>>
>>69543109
>trying to play a 4-4-2 with two AMs in centre mid, a CM at LM and no pace at all on the wings

And this went on until 2010. Fucking idiot spineless managers.
>>
File: justno.png (47 KB, 484x649) Image search: [Google]
justno.png
47 KB, 484x649
>one of the best teams
>10 years ago
Totally
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 480x292) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 480x292
> Sergio Aguero, Hazard, De Bruyne, Ibrahimovic, Kante, Payet, Martial, etc.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.