[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a particular reason why USA and Canada don't give
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 17
File: Ronaldo_Messi2049.png (658 KB, 638x503) Image search: [Google]
Ronaldo_Messi2049.png
658 KB, 638x503
Is there a particular reason why USA and Canada don't give a fuck about football ? It's literally the most popular sport in a lot of countries, but for some reason people don't seem to enjoy watching football games there, not even talking about people who enjoy playing it.

I heard here and there that it's currently growing in the USA, is this true ?
>>
Best way to put it Jacques is that it's not in our culture, nor practiced in the common American and Canadian household.

Sure, some parents let there kids play soccer when they were young, but if they were athletic at all, they'd push them towards Baseball or whatever they're into.

Also, games weren't widely broadcast here in the USA till the 90s, even then it was cable (still is to this day)
Our local league was barely founded 20 years ago...just let that sink in as well. We're doing pretty good in expanding and growing a fanbase to be honest. With the younger generations attention span shortening due to the facepace culture and media, soccer is being seen as an exciting alternative in sports.

Most people who don't care are people who've never played, or just never cared because it was for A) Europeans B)Girls.
>>
>>69521063
>baseball
Go to bed grandpa
>>
>>69521063
Do hispanic in the US play more soccer than basket or eggball ?
>>
>>69521063
Not the same frog but

>baseball
>athletic
>>
we have a saying here "this is where we seperate the men from the boys" and in the case of soccer in our culture, we cannot even seperate the boys from the girls
every american plays soccer from age 5-12 boys and girls included, at school after this point, it's seen as a girls sport.

the real boys move on to athletics, weight lifting, wrestling, lacrosse, american football, hockey, basketball, you know - things that take physical skill. Things that require you to be physically dominant over another male.
It's in our culture to be bred bigger, stronger, faster. We want huge 6'6 (2 meter) people to run as fast as short men, to be as agile as possible, Do you know the manlet memes? guess which countries give a fuck about height?
- Usa
- canada
- australia
- new zealand

why?
because of our sporting culture to be massive and destroy another male.

when you go to france or italy or something, no one gives a fuck how tall you are. no one gives a fuck how big you are, in fact you are better off being a skinny little homosexual looking pretty boy there than a big strong lad.
that's the truth.
>>
>>69521082
>>69521100
>they'd push them towards Baseball or whatever they're into
you niggers need to learn how to finish a sentence

>>69521087
the spics play soccer everytime I go to the park, sometimes I see some playing Basketball. I've actually never seen someone play handegg at the park
>>
>>69521002

With the americans it's because they are so self absorbed and egocentric, not sure about the cannucks. Maybe they just do what their masters tell them to do?
>>
>>69521063
>baseball
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 300x300
>>69521191
>this autistic rage

Wew lad
>>
>>69521002
we see grass for only about 4 months a year
>>
>>69521191
Well, I know this is bait but I'll try to reply.
If you really think that "physical skill" is the only thing that makes a good sport, you're doing something wrong.

I mean, go watch a video of Lionel Messi or Ronaldinho's best dribbles or Beckham's accuracy at long passes and deadballs or whatever and tell me this is not all about skill.

I know the whole part about USA being into "athletic strong guys" culture is bait considering 1 adult out of 4 is obese there (ffs by the way isn't your government concerned about this ?) but the first part of your post I'm pretty sure it's relevant to the way american people see football, and I guess it's interesting to talk about it
>>
File: 1118429.1150853791165.jpg (32 KB, 359x438) Image search: [Google]
1118429.1150853791165.jpg
32 KB, 359x438
>>69521405

we judge obesity by size index, according to our index this guy is obese because he's ony 1,80 and weighs 105 kilos at 20 years old

statistically, no one can be bothered to go in and measure body fat percentage at a doctor, so size index is the only way to measure and it's flawed
>>
>>69521225
6 at most

Also doesn't help that MLS runs on a different schedule than the rest of Europe
>>
>>69521484
Why the fuck does he have to look like that? I don't know much about handegg but I cannot fathom how having 15 inch arms and being 105 fucking kilos at 180cm would help you in any way.
>>
>>69521484
At least be honest for fuck sake, I've been to Boston twice and there are a lot more fat people there than anywhere in France ; I'll admit I don't know if there are more fat people in Boston than in USA generally as well, but still.
You just can't deny that there are way too much fat people in USA, and you should feel concerned about this
>>
>>69521002
To keep it simple, USA and Canada developped their own sports before Brits forcefed theirs onto the world
>>
>>69521204
>I've actually never seen someone play handegg at the park
Really? I've seen it in Switzerland. I mean it was just tossing it around like a frisbee and not playing a match but still.
>>
File: F-As-In-Fat-map.jpg (51 KB, 610x379) Image search: [Google]
F-As-In-Fat-map.jpg
51 KB, 610x379
>>69521523
>I'll admit I don't know if there are more fat people in Boston than in USA generally
Less, actually.
>>
>>69521484
>>69521568
lol nice nitpicking, you know yourself that a very vast majority of people that are obese by that index are actually obese, just look at that map. disgusting
>>
>>69521484
Yes, I'm certain americans aren't fat, it's just all those shredded guys going around that are messing with the statistics.
>>
>>69521206
Worst post in the thread, and that's saying something
>>
>>69521002
Why didn't you include aus nz India?
>>
>>69521002
I think it must be something to do with British colonies. USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and India all have sports bigger than football
>>
>>69521509
>Why the fuck does he have to look like that?

Different positions call for different sizes

That guy is a linebacker, the guy that is in the middle of the play and his job is tackle the ball-carrier as fast as possible. So he needs to be both fast and strong as fuck.

Other positions, like the guys that protect the guy throwing the ball, need to be tall and fat, they're usually over 2 meters and 150 kilos. Disgustingly big.
take a look at this kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMJuXQEZ_Bg

>7 feet
>440 pounds
2,13m 199kg

disgusting.
but I don't think he will ever play professional. He is a bit too big and slow.
>>
>>69521002
Sports channels like ESPN or FOX sports are shoving this semen slurping down our throats, and people still don't give a shit. Yeah, you'll see team USA jerseys every four years. But the biggest fans are spice and Europeans. These sport channels spend more time covering SEC media day then they do the EUROs. Soccer is a hit in particular locations like Seattle and Oregon. But in say new York, it probably goes Yankees Giants Jets Knicks Rangers Mets Nets Islanders and then Red Bulls and nycfc. I would say it is growing in part thanks to FIFA the game. But when I was in high school all the popular athletes played football or basketball. Soccer players were seen as faggots.
>>
>>69521087
Yes, normally. The Mexicans and Colombians prefer soccer, while the Cubans and Venezuelans prefer baseball. Most soccer fans in the USA are latino, that's why Barca, Real Madrid, the Mexican NT, and the Colombian NT all have such huge fanbases here.
>>
2002 team was fantastic:

GK Friedel (3rd best gk of the WC)
DF Sanneh (very strong)
DF Pope (tuff)
DF Berhalter (weak, should have been replaced by Lalas ou Balboa on their great times)
RM Hejduk (experienced)
DM O'Brien (fantastic midfielder)
DM Reyna (legend)
OM Donovan (youngblood, very talented)
LM Lewis (5th best left back of the WC)
FW Mathis (matador, effetive)
FW McBride (played more than was expected of him)
>>
>>69521191
This post is endlessly cringeworthy.
>>
>>69522339
Its true m8. Are you the tallest? You're pushed into basketball. Are you the strongest? You're pushes into football. Divegrass has such a low pool talent to work with because all our elite athletes choose to excel in other sports. I feel like were gonna be like France, where our national team in 20 years is going to be full of foreigners named Gonzalez, Rodriguez and Sanchez. Mexican American immigrants who were born here. Soccer is the sport for manlets
>>
>>69522402
>I feel like were gonna be like France, where our national team in 20 years is going to be full of foreigners named Gonzalez, Rodriguez and Sanchez.

It's funny because our national team is full of foreigners named Jones, Brooks, and Johnson. The only guy with a latino name (Bedoya) was born and raised in the US.
>>
>>69522325
>OM Donovan (youngblood, very talented)

I've always wondered how good Donovan could have been if he had been in a European academy from when he was a little kid, rather than moving there when he was 18.
>>
they have tried many times to get it really started here, but there is the simple fact that you cannot squeeze commercials into a football match. Other sports will always be more lucrative since your entire sporting model is based on it being an advertising platform
>>
They do give a fuck
They just don't give a crud
>>
>>69522402
There's more to it than that, though. Even guys who aren't huge will always choose other sports over soccer. Just look at Steve Nash (I know he grew up in Canada, but Canada is basically a US state so it still applies). He was a talented soccer player when he was a kid, but chose to go with basketball because that's just what you do when you're a good athlete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuZ59Tp5T7c
>>
File: 1576928.jpg (411 KB, 669x1024) Image search: [Google]
1576928.jpg
411 KB, 669x1024
I know we're not living a great stage, but the United States should do what the European futsal teams do, naturalize 90% of the team with Brazilian players, since everyone here dreams of living in the United States.

Would unite business with pleasure.
>>
File: fatass.jpg (24 KB, 600x631) Image search: [Google]
fatass.jpg
24 KB, 600x631
A T H L E T E S
T
H
L
E
T
E
S
>>
File: 1402764876902.jpg (233 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
1402764876902.jpg
233 KB, 1600x1600
>>69522040
Lmao imagine you are a 17 y/o highschool student playing football, having a match like any other one. All of a sudden you're faced with this behemoth and you know you're fucked.
>>
Here's why, op
>diving
Americans hate seeing people fake injuries to gain an advantage.
>>
>>69522846
Everyone does you moron.
>>
>>69522861
And yet it's acceptable in soccer.
Until diving is an automatic red card I won't give even half of a fuck
>>
>>69521898

Pretty sure it's that. They invented their own sport, called it football and said that the football of dad is gay. Just america teenage rebellion years product
>>
>>69522872
>And yet it's acceptable in soccer
Says who? You get a yellow card for it anyways and its too hard to tell if someone has dived or not to give them a red. Its not like other sports, that they can come back in after being sent off.
>>
>>69522872
diving is penalized with a yellow card, but given that there is a lot of contact and the ball can move quickly from the ref it's pretty difficult to determine who's diving and who legit got fouled from a ref's point of view
>>
>>69522936
>>69522936
>>69515376
This sort of thing is not only accepted, but encouraged.
>"Well you'd do it too to help your team!"
Sorry, cucks, but not everyone is a massive pussy. Sort out your sport and important countries will care.
>>
god forbid american athletes have to be part of offense as well as defense

no no, that's far too difficult for them
they like to have little bite-sized team roles with literally one job
that's the only way american athletes can perform
>>
>>69521002
Hockey culture is waaaay to big here

You will literally get your dick sucked in from grade 7-12 if you play hockey
>>
>>69522990
>This sort of thing is not only accepted, but encouraged.
By who though???
Everyone used to shame Ronaldo back when he was at United for his constant silly tripping. Even I hated it and this coming from a United fans whos favourite player IS Ronaldo.

>Sort out your sport and important countries will care
Toppest of keks. Who even watches/plays handegg that isn't a fatass American?
>>
>>69523021
Baseball, basketball, hockey all do it. And 99% of high school football players do it as well dumb fuck.
>>
>>69523021
Yeah, instead we should play floplawn, where at least 60% of the time is spent slowly walking and waiting for the ball to go your way
>>69523053
By literal legions of fans, they justify grown men acting like children.
>hurf durf muh handegg
We will shred you in icefight, jungleball and spic with a stick as well
>>
>>69523077
>baseball
not a sport

>basketball
sport for the tallest of the tallest
very uninteresting

>hockey

you mean ice hockey
the only sport that's fun to watch in north america
>>
>>69523077
>Baseball
You have to be kiddin me.
>Basketball
To some degree but still pretty shit in terms of tactics
>Hockey
The only one I'll give you.

>>69523091
>We will shred you in icefight, jungleball and spic with a stick as well
So a bunch of other irrelevant sports that no one else in the world watches? Sweet fatass.
>>
>>69523127
>nobody in the world watches icefight
>one of the most hotly contested winter Olympic sports
>more ad hominem
Defending flopping to the death I see.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (7 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
7 KB, 258x195
>>
>>69521002
In regards to your first question, I believe the majority of Americans don't care because soccer is pretty far down on our list of options. Depending on which part of the US someone is in and socio-economic factors, all of the following are likely to be more interesting to the average American-

-Football (handegg)
-Hockey
-Basketball
-Baseball

It's fairly likely a person's favorite sport is one that they played in high school or college. Beyond these four, I believe there are a few other activities that Americans gravitate towards due to a perceived "cool factor" and high media coverage including but not limited to-

-UFC
-Tennis
-Boxing
-Strongman Competition
-Ninja Warrior and similar Free Running Shows
-Major League Gaming (not a joke)

As for growing popularity, I do believe it's getting more popular. This is the first time I recall the Euro getting major coverage here and the past world cup people seemed to care a bit. This probably has a lot to do with wanting a reason to go out to the bars and drink but that's neither here nor there.
>>
File: scott-steiner.jpg (171 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
scott-steiner.jpg
171 KB, 1280x720
>>69523152
>winter Olympic sports
lmao stop trying fatass. Literally NO ONE but Amerifats watches your irrelevant sports.

The numbers dont lie.
>>
>>69523194
Oh boy, someone is going to post that money graphic soon. You dun goofed
>>
>>69523194
>starts with ad hominem
>continues by insisting that the olympics are irrelevant
I'd continue, but I'm not sure I want to hurt your feelings so bad you spend the next twelve minutes rolling on the ground looking for a ref
>>
>>69523232
I like how you went from Winter Olympics to JUST Olympics.
>>
>>69521087
Younger spics play egg ball because it makes them popular in high school with the superior race even though they are just kept around as a token for them to make racist jokes
>>
>>69523251
Are you legitimately upset by this? It's a very simple context clue. We're talking about the winter olympics, so when I say "the olympics", it's fairly obvious I mean the winter olympics.
Did you have an actual point to make?
>>
>>69523304
The fact that winter Olympics isn't watched nearly as much as the actual Olympics.

Still waiting for them glorious figures though.
>>
>>69523329
>glorious figures
What are you on about?
>not as watched
Protip, because you seem to be having trouble with the english language: ice hockey is much more watched in the winter olympics than the summer olympics.
>>
File: 1433915735529.jpg (99 KB, 655x653) Image search: [Google]
1433915735529.jpg
99 KB, 655x653
>>69521191
>It's in our culture to be bred bigger, stronger, faster

kek

All of your sports if FILLED with roided athletes, if you don't fuck your health forever you can't compete at the top level in the US

>Do you know the manlet memes? guess which countries give a fuck about height?
also top kek your average height is 5'9, hardly anything to be amazed at

Also I'd rather have my kid play a 'fag sport' such as football than turning into a fucking vegetable playing handegg or hockey

>basketball
>manly
>boreball
>manly

You literally couldn't make this shit up

While we're at it, the manliest sport, MMA, has virtually no relevant americans

Nice try burger
>>
>>69521539
Idk what shit hole that guy grew up in, but in my home town you can find a little of every sport being played by the kids in our parks

>spics coming out the fucking woodwork to play soccer (which was strange because there was a shit load of them but nobody knew where any of the Mexican families even lived, and our city is primarily white and Asian)
>some kids playing two hand touch football, and you'd occasional hear arguments over who was quarterback
>baseballfags hitting balls at each other and practicing grounders
>fights in the big asphalt parking lot as the white kids would beat each other up in Street hockey tournaments
>sounds of distant ape hoop being played by the two black families in our city, plus a bunch of chinks

Good times
>>
>>69521191
Your post was correct except for implying any of this is "physical skill". Skill is exactly what it is not.

In fact it's football that is 99% about skill and not about random physical qualities, those matter very little. Nobody cares if you're tall and thus good at headers, it's not that relevant of a quality, you don't NEED to be fast, et cetera.

Football is about training to become skilled, Amerifat sports are about abusing genetic advantages and roiding.

Fucking Kareem Abdul-Jabbar basically has better stats than Michael Jordan just because the nigger is so fucking tall he doesn't need to be skilled at all.

Same with handegg, just munch McDonalds meals all day so you can be a wall of fat lineback. Technique is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>69521002

How soccer is played just comes off as un-American. It reminds me of apehoop nowadays, except taken up to the max with bunch of skinny dudes just flailing there arms and legs around while eyeballing the ref every 5 seconds.

Soccer culture from what I've experienced is also very un-American like so consider it a blessing that we don't exert our superior sport's culture on to the rest of the world. When we discuss sports, foreigners always start whining about shit like how we're very much about dissecting the numbers and the game too much. We're just very results oriented. Like we'd never celebrate a player like Europeans did that Ronaldo guy because he didn't even play in the championship game. It makes no sense to us.

Add in that games for the world's best teams air when we're all at work or some shit, that soccer is only played by little girls and such, and this shit will never be embraced like real sports here.
>>
>>69521191
Yo why you making us look stupid in front of the other countries son please stop
>>
>>69523021
Basketball, hockey, and baseball all require players to play both offense and defense. Football is the exception, not the norm.
>>
>>69523811
>In fact it's football that is 99% about skill and not about random physical qualities, those matter very little.

Tell that to Gareth Bale
>>
>>69523811
>Football is about training to become skilled, Amerifat sports are about abusing genetic advantages and roiding.

They're not. Our sports are about training to become skilled as well, but in basketball and football that skill usually has to be paired with an insane amount of strength or speed. And Baseball is really all about skill, which is we got so outraged about baseball players using steroids despite not giving a shit about steroid use in football or basketball.

Also
>implying that all your precious soccer players aren't roided up
>>
>>69524097
*which is why we
>>
>>69524116
>real football players
>roided
kek

That's why the french took guronsan, which is something you take for hangovers that is loaded with caffeine

I'm not sure if you're even trying
>>
>>69524055

We're not on speaking terms desu
>>
>>69521568
>The dilapidated boat of Oklahoma
>>
I think USA is kind of a stupider culture, to be honest. They don't appreciate the small things in sport, its all about BIG FAST BIG FAST, that's why 75% of football positions are interchangeable.

And theres a real homoerotic bent to it all. Ever see the combine, or just commentary on players in general? It's never about skill. Always about height, weight, muscles, hand size, just really gay stuff IMO.

There is no appreciation for beauty, good tricks, someone like Riquelme would be laughed off the field here. It's always about brute strength Schwarzenegger action movie type of thing, which is why IMO American sports aren't "real" sports. No proper skill or thinking required.

Think about football. RUN FAST HERE THEN RUN FAST HERE IN A PREDETERMINED MOTION. It's a robot in human form doing tactics or just running fast.

Even our soccer players are a bit one-dimensional, but this is slowly starting to change.
>>
File: fedora.gif (89 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
fedora.gif
89 KB, 480x270
>>69524499
>>
>>69524499
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>69521002
I read once that burgers tend to like sports where a winner can be easily defined either by results or by tiebreaking. They tend to rely on sports which luck cannot be a decisive factor and with an easy and direct scoring system, which is not the case of footy.
>>
>>69524565
>>69524588
he's right though
>>
>>69521534
>To keep it simple, USA and Canada developped their own sports before Brits forcefed theirs onto the world

This.

Everyone thinks soccer was the "world's sport" from day 1, but we gained independence from the Brits well before Association football was officially codified, so there was no opportunity for them to push it or even share it (since we were a world away from them unlike mainland Europe). Australia, New Zealand, and Canada have the same dynamic.

Yes, I know South America was also a world away, but Brits had a lot of expats there working on the railroads and such. Also, soccer was introduced to these places in the 1870s. By then, the US was already deeply entrenched in baseball and "eggball games" (whatever variation of rugby Princeton, Yale and Harvard were playing at the time, which eventually grew into American football). Same with Australia, as Aussie Rules is actually an older code than soccer.

It has nothing to do with shunning Britain or refusing to play it because we're not good at it, etc, etc.

There was no such thing as "worldwide sports" in those days. You played against your own countrymen most of the time, since hopping on boat and sailing for a month to the UK to play a soccer match wasn't all that practical. So it wasn't like, "Oh, we can't play this because the world is better!"
>>
>>69524737
Do you think he >>69524588
just got a lot insecure when confronted with reality?
>>
Straight up its money. Sports like football and basketball only require you to do 1 year of college before going pro. Than there isn't much of a minor league system. In baseball, hockey, soccer if you're not top talent you spend years in the minors before you can make a decent paycheque.
>>
>>69525583
Sure seems like it, family.
>>
>>69524499
>There is no appreciation for beauty, good tricks, someone like Riquelme would be laughed off the field here.

Explain Steph Curry then. And didn't Riquelme flop in Europe and have to go running back to Argentina?
>>
>>69522846
That hasn't stopped nfl and NBA from becoming the two most popular leagues m8
>>
>>69523094
>>69523127
Some of the most shameless goalpost moving I've ever seen
>>
>>69525650
>>69525583
>>69524737
Basketball is undeniably a skill sport.
Baseball is more skill than sport
The most famous nfl players are quarterbacks and receivers, among the smallest and weakest players on the field. While linemen are anonymous.

Please apologize for being arrogant and giving lectures on shit you don't understand.
>>
>>69524499
You sound like those old men that can't accept the fact that modern sports here is being broken down to bits by the analytic departments in the front offfices. There's skill, but it's a lot of numbers crunching which is why we obsess over measurable and such so much. You want simpler times.

People here say baseball is all about being old fashion but divegrass seems like it's stuck in medieval times by comparison.
>>
Soccer's a pleb sport and, unlike most countries, we have alternatives.
>>
File: roeder-feature-soccerboring-2.png (22 KB, 575x448) Image search: [Google]
roeder-feature-soccerboring-2.png
22 KB, 575x448
>>69526002
>divegrass seems like it's stuck in medieval times by comparison.

Yeah. I've read about the game eventually devolving into a "draw death" scenario (where the core game is essentially solved and every game winds up in a draw. So soccer stands to become primarily luck based).

Yuropoors will ignore this, but the statistical evidence says otherwise:

>In 85,694 games — dangerously close to half the total — at least one of the teams forgot to score at all. That led Curley to an answer for one of his questions: “Soccer is a bit dull,” he told me.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in-126-years-english-football-has-seen-13475-nil-nil-draws/
>>
>>69521100
>>69521207

epic
>>
>>69525685
>one guy who wasnt a freakazoid
>europe is the end all be all of success

thanks for proving my point guy
>>
>>69521405
and you surely only think every sport we play here requires just gym work? Look at hockey players skating abilities and puck control. Or command on a mound by a pitcher and the range/reaction time of the infielders. Or the route running and ability to catch a ball while running and being disrupted.

Your dribble skills are impressive, but then you must also give credit to the dribble skills of say Allen Iverson, no? Dude made people sit their ass on the ground by dribbling.
>>
>>69526002
>>69526092

so in other words the sports are so uncreative and generic that you can break it down to certain actions

thanks for proving my point guys
>>
https://youtu.be/p8yKCmnm9xk

wow soccer, what a beautiful sport, so many complex things going on here that Americans that watch football couldn't understand
>>
In terms of per capita it's low, but we have 300m people so even just 5% of us watching is triple the population of Denmark.
>>
>>69522936
>for it anyways

That is a blatant lie.
>>
>>69521191

So, you are literally cucks.
>>
>>69523021
God forbid a Euro realizes we have more sports than just one.

Why do you guys always compare everything to our football?
>>
>don't care for soccer
>most attended World Cup of all time was in US, over 20 years ago

What did we mean by this?
>>
>>69523094
>>69523127
sport
spôrt/
noun
noun: sport; plural noun: sports

1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as baseball and soccer"

>such as baseball and soccer
>>
File: sport difficulty ratings.png (79 KB, 1052x534) Image search: [Google]
sport difficulty ratings.png
79 KB, 1052x534
>>69526200
No, we just like challenging ourselves more than the average lazy European or Mexican
>>
>>69523811
>99% skill

So players could just get fat and still be great. Good to know. Wonder why I don't see any?
>>
>>69526241
1) We're a great place for tourists
2) we have big stadiums
3) attendance really has been a meaningless statistic since the advent of televised sports
>>
>wah Americans why do you only watch sports where you just need to physical exert more than the other to win and not appreciate a sport with skill

>top kek Americunts, you watch baseball which involves no physicality and just the skill to hit a ball

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
>>
>>69526292
26m Americans watched 2014 WC Final match.
>>
>>69526241
>everyone that attended was American

wow you really made me think........
>>
>>69521002

I'd like for it to be popular so >we can get gud. Maybe sprinkle us with some frog magic, Jacques?
>>
>>69521002
Americans think football (soccer) is for communists (I'm not joking)

That's all about to change though when Based Bernie gets into the White House!
>>
>>69526339
>WC Final has 26m viewers
>average viewers for a World Series game well below 10m

Where were you when baseball was killed?
>>
>>69526345
It was still larger than even the 2006 tournament in Germany, a much more accessible nation to many more people.
>>
>>69526259

You without noticing, explained that the average american is nothing but proyecting, watching a big strong and hung person, wishing to be like him.

In football there´s 11 in the field, and each one serves his purpose. A good forward who plays in the center is easily strong and tall. A winger has to be fast, and has really FAST skill, not the ¨fast¨ you are talking about, that´s why they´re flashy and manlets.

I enjoy lots of sports, but the ones who are missing the joy of football are you, it´s the world sport, the common language.

Like someone saying that they hate english, so they don´t learn it, they are just banning themselves from a lot of things.

And that chart takes only in account the physical aspect: in boxing it depends only on you, but team sports are something else, besides the technical aspect is more important to us, and for us I mean the world.
>>
being a cuck and acting like fags is not part of our culture. We dont dive at any single physical contact and pretend to be hurt. Oh and also everyone plays soccer as a kid in canada
>>
>>69521002
I'm going to give you the real reason, it's American TV. See, ever since football could be broadcast it has been ignored by America due to the fact that it has 45 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay, American football, baseball, boxing, basketball pro-wrestling etc. all have little breaks so tons of time to do commercials. Football has ONE break, the most popular sport on earth just couldn't be sold to advertisers, problem is advertisers rule that whole goddamn country.
>>
>>69526431
just because it's the only sport you've ever seen doesn't mean it's the only team sport in the world m8
>>
>>69526442
except soccer has never been popular here before or after television, also boxing has no commercials
>>
im from mtl and european/soccer culture is huge here, but hockey will always be #1. We only have like 3months of summer so that doesnt help. The rest of the time its way too cold
>>
>>69526463
If soccer has never been popular, neither has hockey and baseball is now irrelevant.
>>
>>69526442

>Salty af jews can't get their shekels because only one break

Not my problem. :^)
>>
>>69526149
It's more like we don't give a shit about soccer so we didn't bother investing resources into doing the same thing for it.
>>
>>69526489
hockey has only ever been popular in the northeast and Minnesota

baseball is still way more popular than soccer, 99% of people will only watch soccer every 2 years so they can be patriotic and chant USA as the team loses to South Sudan
>>
>>69521002
Went to a NYRB games recently because the Uni got us cheap tickets. 55 students attended they sold out tickets. However the big thing i noticed was how many children were with their families. I expected them all to be spics too, however they were all beautiful lil Polack kids and beautiful lil Irish kids. My kid brother n sister love "soccer" because of me so i would say the culture is growing. Spics play it whenever you can find them though.
>>
>>69521002
why are the club crests and the adidas logos not level

this is upsetting my autism
>>
>>69521191
I actually dropped basketball and baseball(was all star in both) when I entered high school to play soccer(which I had never played) . Soccer is actually more dynamic and demanding in a lot of ways.
>>
>>69526454

I watch every sport i can, even Olympic ones, if it´s a sport, i give it a try.

It´s just that football or soccer or whatever it is, is the most important.
>>
>>69526529
>baseball is still way more popular than soccer

That's rich.
>>
>>69521191
>>69521484
I just can't tell when Americans are baiting or not
>>
>>69526557

Baseball is way more popular than soccer in the US no matter how you try to measure it (attendance, tv ratings, revenue, simple polls) and it's not even close, except maybe in Seattle.
>>
>>69521191
except you're not the tallest country on earth, we are, also most of europe on average is taller than you, ya bunch of manlet goofballs. We also have more successful strongmen weightlifters.
>>
>>69526431
>comparing watching soccer to learning english

lmao are you being fucking serious
>>
>>69526557
Provide the stats proving that false. I will wait.
>>
>>69526442
>See, ever since football could be broadcast it has been ignored by America due to the fact that it has 45 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay

No, it's been ignored because there were already 3 well-established sports by the time that tv became widespread. Then, right as soccer started to get a little popularity (Pele, Beckenbauer, and the rest playing in NASL), hockey came along and killed it. There was just no room for soccer to grow, and that has only changed recently because of the explosion of the hispanic population and the "rebranding" of soccer in America as a woman's game.
>>
>>69526431
>it´s the world sport, the common language.

Tell that to the Indians and the Chinese, who make up nearly half of the world's population and prefer other sports.
>>
>>69526634
I don't think he is baiting, but rather is just an idiot. Most NFL slappies are.

Beauty is not everyone here jizzes over the NFL 24/7
>>
>>69526699
>that broken english
you have to go back
>>
>>69526714
That poster is not baiting, but merely just unintelligent. As a matter of fact, most NFL fans fit into that category.

The fact of the matter is, we have other sports that we can enjoy. Not everyone here creams about NFL 24/7.

Was that better for you? Sorry sometimes I like typing choppy sentences, because you know, 4chan isn't an English class.

I am sure I made some mistakes in this one too, but again, proofreading is a minimum when I am on here in my free time.
>>
>>69526699
You have to go back.
>>
>>69526714
>>69526756

>if you don't have an undying love for the NFL you must be Central American

I love college football. NFL was better maybe a decade ago.
>>
A better question is why do you care about our opinion on divegrass?
>>
>>69526769
>>>/m/exico
>>
>>69526810
My grandparents came from Europe bro. Did it get renamed to Mexico?
>>
>>69526794
Because the truth is, they know America would rape their teams and then their countries women afterward in celebration, IF America actually ever truly cared enough.

And so they go on and on about their sport.
>>
Because baby boomers & their kids are fucking xenophobic retards who are fat and out of shape and live vicariously through the sports teams they root for.

give it a generation or two. in another two decades it will be a lot more common, and the 'MUH MANLY SPORTS' slots will be dead from old age or a heart attack from having a BMI bigger than the moon.
>>
I cant wait to have kids and force them into liking sports lol.
>>
>>69526259
Whoever made that clearly has never played Rugby .
>>
>>69527027
CHI
>>
>>69521191
>>69521191
United Kingdom has the most concurrent boxing title holders in the history of the sport. What does that say about a country with a population 5 times larger than ours?
>>
>>69527027
>and the 'MUH MANLY SPORTS' slots will be dead from old age or a heart attack from having a BMI bigger than the moon.

This is exactly why soccer isn't popular here and might never be popular. Even Americans who like soccer don't see it as a manly sport. In Europe and South America, soccer is a man's sport without question. There's "the national team" and the "women's national team" . If you say "my kid is at football practice" in England, they'll always assume you mean your son. But in America it's a woman's sport. There's "the national team" and the "men's national team". Alex Morgan and Hope Solo are more well-known than Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey. And if you say "my kid plays soccer", people will assume you have a daughter.
>>
>>69528319
I think it says that we stopped caring about boxing a long time ago. I don't think it's been relevant since Tyson, the last time a boxing match got any serious sports coverage was Mayweather vs Pakiyao
>>
>>69528323
Found the Trump supporter living in Nebraska.
>>
>>69521534
>>69524738
Literally the only well reasoned posts ITT
>>
>>69528352
But everything he said is correct.
>>
>>69526092
The graph could loosely correlate with the amount of relative money being put into the game.
I think the more money that is at stake, the more teams would rather "try not to lose" than "try to win". It's definitely something us euros have noticed in the last few years with teams playing more conservatively.

Hopefully the new TV money coming in this year will reduce this kind of thing now that even the small teams will have stupid money to spend on players
>>
File: RoastBeefSandwich.jpg (26 KB, 274x225) Image search: [Google]
RoastBeefSandwich.jpg
26 KB, 274x225
more people in this country know Mia Hamm and Rapinoe and Ms. roast beef than a single US men's player
>>
>>69528592
i would only know who Mia Hamm is if it weren't for /sp/
>>
I'd like to fuck me a ham
>>
>>69526854

>IF America actually ever truly cared enough.

Even if the US went football crazy it would still take decades for your NT to be able to serioulsy challenge the elite.

It would be the same for the MLS unless they decided to spend billions and literally buy entire yuro leagues.

Just putting big niggers running after the ball won't make you win in football, see the african NTs for example.
>>
>>69528352
I'm a latino living on the East Coast though. And I like soccer, but the fact of the matter is that non-latinos in the US don't see it as a man's sport. You don't play soccer with your friends on weekends, you play basketball. Soccer is something that your landscapers or daughters play.
>>
File: hope making you work for it.jpg (52 KB, 642x481) Image search: [Google]
hope making you work for it.jpg
52 KB, 642x481
>>69528592
>>
>>69524738
Good post.
>>
>>69528723
>tfw Ivory Coast could have been a real challenge to the elites, but practically amateur management during their golden generation fucked their shit up, leaving Drogba with 0 (zero) trophies with his national team
>>
>>69521568
>The morbidly obese city of Oklahoma
>>
>>69521063

>baseball

ok...

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/81-595-m/2008060/t-c-g/c-g9-eng.htm
>>
>>69521087
Depends where you are from
LA and Las Vegas , they play up to high school in my experience and if they're good at something move on to baseball or football

The misconception is if you play it as a child you'll support it all throughout life

That is dead wrong otherwise MLS would be a billion dollar industry and football would have no following what so ever because it is rarely played by kids and teens nowadays outside Texas

Don't believe the meme of baseball dying or soccer rising because it isn't

The only sport out the major 4 that might have trouble in the near future would be basketball and that is due to competitive nature the league is lacking in the sport and trying to overtake NFL but terribly failing
>>
>>69521002
Mfw soccer has overtaken hockey in youth participation because poor plebs can't play hockey
>>
>>69528723
SO MUCH THIS

I have a friend who literally said that Lebron James would be GOAT at soccer if he dedicated his career to that. I had never traveled out of the East coast until i turned 18, then i went south and west and the whitebois i got to play soccer all got confused and angry when they couldn't balance themselves while running. Eventually they just gave up and forced me to play football. They knew positions but they couldn't really play they were brand new and just dismissed the sport as shitty. Though they agreed that getting slide tackled and fighting for the ball was abit exciting.
>>
>>69521002
It's considered a sport for women in the US.
>>
idk, the pro sport still seems to be stuck in stasis around here

but it seems like gridiron football has been declining at least at the high school level

back in my midwestern hometown one of the old perennial powers doesn't even have enough kids to field a team this year and my high school which used to have an army of players has been halved at least

people are legit getting scared of concussions and long-term injuries I think
>>
>>69531257
Most people I have that Lebron conversation with say he would be the GOAT if he had played soccer his whole life instead of basketball and that I agree with.
>>
>>69534398
but he also played wide receiver in high school and he wasn't the GOAT nfl player.
>>
>>69521002
It's just been overshadowed for so long by other sports that are "more American". It is absolutely growing the number of jerseys I see on the street now compared to even a couple years ago is incredible. I think a lot of credit has to go to the FIFA games, I know plenty of people who have never played soccer or watched a match all the way through but they know the teams and the positions at least cause they play FIFA
>>
>>69534441
He didn't start playing basketball in high school. I'm saying that he is clearly a gifted athlete and dedicated to working on his game and I think he would have excelled at any sport he had chosen to prioritize
>>
>>69534500
i doubt it, basketball has a pretty unique skill set compared to other sports.
>>
File: isis.jpg (43 KB, 376x505) Image search: [Google]
isis.jpg
43 KB, 376x505
Soccer is a popular sport in North America. What Europeans need to understand is that we simply have many sports that are all as or much more popular. You guys have soccer, and it is so important it is religion, so it must be hard to grasp that we have at least 4 sports that are all a pillar of their own.

This isn't meant as a jab, it's just where out sporting culture divides. Why is it this way? Couldn't really tell you.

PS: I realize Europe has things like handball/volley/basketball as well but they can't approach soccer's importance, versus in America where the big 4 sports are more or less comparable in size and relevance.

PPS: Why is it asking for a sign and is showing Muslim banners !! Is Neo-Moot a sleeper or some shit.
>>
>>69534283
this. more specifically, rich white girls. it's a wholesome sport for delicate lesbians.
>>
>>69534657
soccer is significantly less popular here than the other major sports.
there were 20,000 empty seats in the usa quarterfinal match vs ecuador.
can you even imagine a dallas cowboys playoff game not selling out?
>>
>>69534797
Soccer is still unquestionably the 5th sport and has been growing steadily for some years. It might take 50 years or more for there to be a big 5 but I just think people understate the presence of soccer in our culture. It would be like volley ball or basketball for them but no one ever makes threads saying why don't Europeans play volley ball more.
>>
>>69534441
>>69534615
He was originally one of the best youth football players in the state, but his football coach and his mom convinced him to choose basketball once he hit a growth spurt because it was obvious that he would be insanely good.
>>
>>69534939
no he stopped playing football because of an injury.
>>
>>69531257

I think that it's true that the US could become dominant in football if they had a football culture equal to Brazil's, but that's because of how massive the country is.

It wouldn't become dominant because the Lebron James or NFL stars would start playing football. Every sport has their required skills and physiques and being good at one doesn't necessarily means being good at others. In football you cannot have very specialized players like in other sports: everyone needs to have good tactical positioning, endurance, passing skills, etc. Players are generalists with a few specialities of course. But even the most offensive forward will sometimes need to fall back and help the defense or make a good pass instead of trying to shoot for goal. Or a central defense may find himself alone against the rival's net after a messy play.

The Lebron James would keep going for others sports (because I don't think being so tall is good actually, the tallest player I can think of is Peter Crouch) but the essential change would be that the American Messis would start appearing for the US NT.

The US is like some sort of sleeping giant considering the manpower and infrastructure, but this will NEVER happen unless the US mentality of shaming or underestimating football changes.
>>
Froid
Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.