[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> That moment you realize that the Finals went better for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: CnCpbmfWYAE7QvF.jpg (18 KB, 480x452) Image search: [Google]
CnCpbmfWYAE7QvF.jpg
18 KB, 480x452
> That moment you realize that the Finals went better for Ronaldo than had he played

This is a greater story than had he not got injured and did his usual underwhelming finals performance. Payet actually enhanced Ronaldo's legacy by making him the heroic injured leader who inspired his men to fight on and defeat the overwhelming favorites France at home.

So when is the movie going to be out portubros? Shit is going to be incredible.
>>
>>69501532
I don't like Ronaldo too much. Don't hat him either.

You're right.
>>
>>69501561
As the years go by this will be glorified even more than it is right now.

In 20-30 years time even casuals will know about this moment and the Ronaldo legend will grow stronger.

This is the defining moment of his career no doubt.
>>
>>69501672
He's going down as one of the best that ever lived.
On the scale of Pelé and Maradona.
>>
>>69501911
>on the scale of Pele and Maradona

That's going a little far imo. He'll definitely be remembered as top 10 though, kind of like the Kobe Bryant of soccer.
>>
>>69501930
>That's going a little far imo. He'll definitely be remembered as top 10 though, kind of like the Kobe Bryant of soccer.

In this era? I don't think so. Literally every one in the World knows who he is. He has multiple records in the most important competitions.
I don't don't think I'm going to far and ignore my flag when I'm saying this.
>>
>>69501911
No.
>>
>>69501930
How is it too far? He has the fame, stats/records, and titles. He's easily going down as one of the greatest players of all time whether you think he's deserving of that title or not.
>>
>>69501970
Sai daqui velho do Restelo.
>>
>>69501979
That's what I'm saying. Pele and Maradona had whole countries with amazing teams backing them up. What did we have? we're literally 10 millions in a small country. We defeated all odds.
>>
Ronaldo before had the stats, the club titles, personal awards, longevity, consistency but two things he didn't have:

An international trophy
A legendary moment that he will be remembered for and which will go down as one ofcthe greatest moments in the sport history

He has both of them now. His career is literally perfect and complete.
>>
The Ronaldo movie should've been filmed in 2016 instead of 2014 where we didn't even make it past the group stage.
>>
>>69502078
Not yet
He still needs the WC to absolutely smash all the haters and neighsayers
>>
TSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>69502907

I neither loved or hated Ronaldo but to me he is now undeniably one of the greatest on and off the field.

I mean it was hard to deny it just going off his stats, but the way he carried himself in the final was so inspiring.
>>
Ronaldo is fourth all time
Behind Messi, Maradona and Cruyff
Pelé in at fifth
>>
>>69502988
I find it sad more than anything
He finally won a Cup final with the NT, something he wanted so much since forever, and barely even played a part in it
We all know that to him, participating and contributing to the game is almost as important as winning
>>
File: 4c7eJx4.png (220 KB, 642x635) Image search: [Google]
4c7eJx4.png
220 KB, 642x635
>>69502997

>Messi
>0 (zero) trophies with his country
>>
>>69502997
>no international trophies with a good NT
>rated at all
>>
>>69503028

Dude he tried so hard to stay on and him crying after finally giving up was so sad. I do feel like this final helped his image way more than if we would have just played normally.
>>
>>69501532

i dont know.

he's the greatest player since Zidane, and not having a Title would've ruined his legacy.

But not playing in his most important game is a big dent to his legacy in my opinion. Everyone of us will remember him as the Guy who got killed in the Final.
>>
>>69502997
>Messi above Ronaldo

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>69503046
>>69503076

And don't forget he plays for fucking Argentina.
>>
>>69503100
What? But he did play the game. And he played the whole tournament for that matter.
>>
>>69503081
yeah he had an acl injury and still tried to play, I criticized him the entire tournament but that was pretty lit desu
>>
> That ending where Ronaldo gets congratulated by his idol and mentor Figo and his football father Sir Alex Ferguson

Find me a better ending than this in those coming of age movies. I find it hard to believe there is anything as perfect as this.
>>
File: e4dc7.jpg (21 KB, 665x335) Image search: [Google]
e4dc7.jpg
21 KB, 665x335
>>69501532
I don't think people get fooled that easily by media, Nigel.
Anyone who saw the match knows who won it.
>>
>>69503132
So? Argentina without Messi was shit and almost didn't qualify.
Portugal without C. Ronaldo won the final vs France, the host.
>>
>>69502988
>I neither loved or hated Ronaldo but to me he is now undeniably one of the greatest on and off the field.
Sounds legit neutral. Swiss approved.
:^)

Do people seriously buy sports "journalism" stupid storylines like "most famous guy who didn't play actually was responsible for the win".
>>
File: JUST.jpg (54 KB, 634x585) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
54 KB, 634x585
>>69503125
>Ronaldo
>Anywhere near Messi
b-b-b-but muh international title......
>>
>>69503200
Portugal without Ronaldo lost to fucking Albania.
>>
>>69503200
Argentina, Spain and Germany are way more consistent in football. We do have football culture but don't have enough people.

That's a fact.
>>
>>69503228
Portugal without Ronaldo also won against fucking France
>>
>>69503125
>>69503076
>>69503046
Messi is literally the most talented human to ever kick a football. Which places him above Ronaldo in my book, but below Maradona who had almost all of Messis finesse along with a personality great enough to lead a shitty Argentina side to a WC win.
>>
>>69503228
Portugal with Ronaldo couldn't beat Austria, Iceland or Hungary.
>>
File: ice.png (12 KB, 2000x1440) Image search: [Google]
ice.png
12 KB, 2000x1440
>>69503228
>>
>>69503267
Portugal with Ronaldo are unbeaten in the last 15 games.
>>
>>69503235
>Spain
>consistent
They were barely relevant for 40+ years. Thinking they're consistent is recency bias.
>>
>>69503283
Switzerland was unbeaten at this Euro. Lot of good that did us.
And yeah I'm sure Ronaldo is entirely to credit for Portugal's defense.
>>
>>69503296
National teams likely mine and yours are less likely to win anything. Just look at Greece. Didn't even qualify.
>>
>>69502907
I think the WC is out of reach.

They made it to the final against all odds with a team which did not perform for the majority of it.

Ronaldo himself was for the 1st 2 games all over the place and also missed a pen but he came alive in the Hungary game and showed leadership in the pen shootout and then again against Wales and finally in the final.

If anything this has to be the icing on the cake.
>>
>>69501944
You couldve said the same about Ronaldinho back in his days alhamdulilah
>>
>>69503314
I don't know why you guys keep pushing this meme but extra time and penalties still count as wins/losses.
>>
>>69503339
How many Champions leagues did he win?
What records does he have?
Honest question.
>>
>>69503224

Messi is a little shit. Those things with Zlatan and Alexis were just horrible to hear about. I have an hard feeling that he's just really bad for his teammate. I would even think that maybe Higuain and Aguero would score if he was a cheerfull guy like Ronaldo is.

Messi is probably more influantial on the pitch and i'm not even sure about it. Ronaldo is like the perfect goal scorer but in the end i would rate them as equal.

Messi is not the best player in history and will never be. There's no such things as "best player in history" to begin with.
>>
File: messi.jpg (75 KB, 680x408) Image search: [Google]
messi.jpg
75 KB, 680x408
>>69503224
>>
>>69503320
I guess so, a bit, but I don't think it matters as much as you put it. See Uruguay and Netherlands.
You guys have been consistently good for 15+ years (and relevant before that), pretending you're not good at football and comparing yourself to Greece and freaking Switzerland is silly.
>>
>>69503340
>penalties
Not technically, no, they count in undefeated records.
Don't tell me it's stupid, I don't make the rules.
>>
>>69503357
Not much really, but how many does Maradona have?
>>
>>69503362
>Ronaldo is like the perfect goal scorer
NIgga have you seen his accuracy stats?
>>
>>69503427

Doesn't really matter when you try to shoot more than everyone else and from difficult angles when your team lacks opportunity. People who says he has not been really important in this euro are fools. There's three keys moments for Portugal in this euro. Hungary game, Croatia and the final. They were almost out of the tournament against Hungary and Croatia before he did his thing and qualified them for the next turn.
>>
>>69503526
And Wales.
>>
>>69503526
>Doesn't really matter when you try to shoot more than everyone else and from difficult angles when your team lacks opportunity.
But it matters when you do it with teams that actually don't lack opportunities like Madrid. Either way I wouldn't call a blooterman (even efficient) the perfect goalscorer. Long shots are missed chances to *create* opportunities.
I wouldn't say he was not important in the Euro, but his importance in the final has been clearly overstated.
>>
>>69501532
Typical dumb shit paki post.
>>
Holy shit you kids are fucking retarded. Ronaldo on the same level as Maradona, Pele, Messi, Cruyff, Di Stefano? No way. He will always be a step below those gods. One of the best goal scorers of all time, but far from the best player.
>>
>>69501930
He really is going to be shipped by the media has a legend. Him and Messi of course. And in 50 years kids will look back and look at their numbers and think they were actually the best ever. Ronaldo is good and deserves praise but I wouldn't put him at the same tier as Maradona and Pele.
>>
>>69503613

no one on this board was alive to even watch any of those players except messi, and oldfags are always going to look through nostalgia-goggles and insist that players in their time were better
>>
>>69503925
All those players have historical accomplishments, dominated club football and elevated their teams to the best in the world. Ronaldo's biggest achievement is being compared to Messi.
>>
>>69501532
To be fair i think the injury worked to inspire the team. Also fernando santos sucks as coach since he was way too quiet most of the times, we all saw the images of ronaldo commanding the team and screaming his lungs off to get them playing right.
Maybe after he retires we'll make a excelent coach.
>>
>>69503925
>and oldfags are always going to look through nostalgia-goggles and insist that players in their time were better
As you've aluded to yourself, so are contemporaryfags.

>>69504014
Not really though.
Pelé's records are old, in the BR league and playing with the best BR generations in NT. Ask any BR and they'll tell you he wasn't the best player on any of these national teams.
Maradona's biggest club accomplishment was Serie A+capocaniere with Naples that one year. And his NT had won the WC 8 years before he won it by specifically not selecting him. He was banned from 1994 WC due to doping.
Cryuff's club career is great but he never actually won anything with the NT despite playing alongside other world class players.
Di Stefano happened literally 50+ years ago. Do you also rate Kopa? Anyway he never won anything with either NT he played for.
>>
File: 1382986023289s.jpg (7 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
1382986023289s.jpg
7 KB, 249x243
/tv/ here; who will play him in the inevitable biopic?
>>
>>69504340
You are severely downplaying those players' achievements.

Maradona lifted Napoli to their first title, transformed them into a serious team, and was the best player they've ever had or will have. His 1986 WC performance was one of the best ever.

Cruyff was the lynchpin of one of the best teams of all time, even if it didn't win a world cup.

Di Stefano was the most important player in RM history, turning them into the European power they are today.

I'll concede that Pele is overrated, but his international accomplishments are extraordinary.
>>
>>69504563
Napoli were the Man City of that era dude.
>>
>>69504392
Ronaldo
>>
>>69504563
>You are severely downplaying those players' achievements.
That's kind of the point. The people who most consider the best in history are hardly record-breakers and winning literally every title ever, it's silly to think Meshit and Penaldo won't be considered GOATs in a couple of decades because of Maradona or Cryuff's "historical accomplishments", as both contemporaries have a arguably a better palmares.

Let's face it, either way GOAT rating isn't particularly rational, and statistics and winning it all hardly matter in the end, compared to the imprint they made on the audience of the time.
I kind of wish football wasn't Somalian-census-tier in terms of statistics, maybe midflielders and defenders would get the credit they deserve.
>>
>>69503325
Do you think England will ever see the quarter finals again in a major tournement?
>>
>>69504870
Yes but it will be by luck mostly.

Will England ever reach the SF or finals in any tournament? Nope, not a chance in hell.

Englands problems are rooted in the EPL and FA along with grassroots.
>>
>>69503362
Be true or not that hes a dick to certain teammates talking strictly about the game he has no match.
>>
>>69501911
no WC no pelle and maradona comparision, is that simple
>>
>>69502025
You still pale in comparision to Uruguay success
>>
Messi is the better player.

Ronaldo has now had the better career.

FACTS.
>>
>>69503046
>Cruyff
>Not even olympic gold or sub 20 WC
>>
>>69505524
>30s
So impressive.
>>
>>69505559
This. I don't like Messi but it's a shame to never win a NT trophy in such a great career.

In 10 years if you ask Ronaldo how he rates his career he'll say he achieved everything he could hope for. Messi will wish he had done it with Argentina.
>>
>>69503132
The same team with chokeguain and shitguero and the chimpout nigger rojo. Is not like is messis fault they cant perform in the finals. See Belgium, having that much individual talent doesnt mean much if you dont have a good coach and a team.
>>69505559
this
The more normie just watching WC and euro and finals a person is, the more is he inclined to think Ronaldo is better than messi (aside madrid fags, barbossas and pakis). The more the persons knows football (watches regularly for a long time or plays it or coaches it) the more he is likely to know messi is just better. Hell, i even have Friends who are Real Madrid fans who accept Messi is the best player.
>>
>>69505616
MaRacanazo was in the 50s. So i guess portugal todays achivement will mean shit in 2050
>>
>>69505662
>All he hoped for instead of all the gloryy
Small mentality 2bh
>>
>>69505671
>The same team with chokeguain and shitguero
And Portugal squad is better?
>inb4 HURR THEY BEAT FRANCE IN THE FINALS HURR DURR
Well Argentina beat Chile without Messi and Portugal in that finals was 100% defense, they had NO offensive presence in the 90 minutes because Ronaldo limped off.
>>
>>69505682
You can't compare to actual professionals. I don't see soccer evolving so much to the point where the teams from this generation would be outdated
>>
>>69505746
Was a different game back then, more physical and heavier ball. So the games also changes, example, back then there was no subs and no red cards, so you could break someone and the other team would play with 10 and you would be keeping 11. You have to ask also if today players would be better than the old ones in that football era. So you cant compare them.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.