[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, if the rules say that you get to walk to first base if you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: David-ortiz-batters-box[1].jpg (2 MB, 2175x1450) Image search: [Google]
David-ortiz-batters-box[1].jpg
2 MB, 2175x1450
So, if the rules say that you get to walk to first base if you get hit by the ball during a pitch, couldn't you just make a team of players who walk into the path of the pitch and get hit every time?
>>
>>69375800
>walk into the path

Anyway, you can't lean into a pitch anon
>>
>>69375800
it's up to the umpire, he won't give him the walk if he was obviously trying to get hit
>>
>>69375800
Some players do that. I think it was Craig Biggio who would stand directly over the plate and lean forward into the path of every pitch. Technically if you don't try to get out of the way they don't have to give it to you.

In addition to that rule, standing too far inside makes it nigh impossible to hit inside pitches even though the strike zone is compressed horizontally. All in all its a bitch ass move that doesn't really pay off so not many people do it.
>>
>>69375800
Isn't leaning into the strike zone illegal? I don't actually watch baseball but I read baseball manga.
>>
>>69375948
What if you spin around and put your butt into the strike zone?

That's not leaning in, you'd be leaning away from it.
>>
>>69375800

You have to make an effort to get out of the way of a pitch. Rule 6.08(b) provides that the batter must make an "attempt to avoid being touched by the ball" in order to be awarded 1st base.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_rules.jsp

Those are the current official rules. However, there are several unspoken rules in baseball that players employ to police themselves. I'll get to that in a second. If a batter crowd the inside of the plate, a good pitcher is going to bust fastballs up and in. A good pitcher will aim for his hands. Two-seam fastballs are excellent for this because they are thrown as though they will be a ball inside but then move slightly back over the plate for a strike. As for the unspoken rule, if a batter crowd the plate as part of his game, that's fine. Pitchers are taught how to get those hitters out. But if a batter crowds the plate and then intentionally gets himself hit, he is most certainly going to get drilled by a fastball in the ass or between the shoulder blades in a future at bat.

tl;dr - Baseball is a gentleman's game where players are expected to show class and respect for the history of this great game.
>>
>>69376924
Okay, so what actually happened to the batter if the umpire calls him out and trying to get hit?
>>
>>69376100
Only Anthony Recker could realistically to that
Also, most players would rather not risk injury when you could get called for leaning into the pitch anyway
Getting hit by a 99 mph fastball is damaging to your bones
>>
the rule is technically that you must try to get out of the way of a pitch to get a walk. obviously this is abused
>>
>>69377384
most of the players that get to the majors have been taught to get out of the way of pitches
it's of no use to be looking to get hit by pitches if you are a younger player/prospect. if you do, you'll get on base more but risk an injury that would fuck up your career chances
>>
What if the batter drops the bat and catches the pitch?

Is the pitcher out?
>>
>>69377571
baseball =/= quidditch
>>
>it's a obese subhuman nigger thinks he solved another sport
Why are americans literally worthless? Not even human.
>>
>>69377615
*corpse cheekily washes up on shore*
>>
why not just turn around and hit the ball backwards?
>>
>>69377639
*in detroit*
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.