[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why has there only been 1 classic match in the last 18 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
Why has there only been 1 classic match in the last 18 years of international tournaments?

Most recent tournaments have been almost entirely forgettable. How come?
>>
7-1
>>
Oops, I should clarify that 1 classic match is the 7-1, and I am talking about football since France '98
>>
International football was the pinnacle of quality football in other eras. It's not anymore.
>>
>>69325640
5pa1n one was also pretty good
>>
Germany v Italy semi final in 06 is a classic. Most thrilling 0-0 in 90 minutes i've ever seen.
>>
Euro 2000 - Decent tournament. Golden goal was the highlight but they got rid of it

SK 2002 - boring. There was that one game with referee corruption but what happened since?

Euro 2004 - probably the best tournament since WC 1998

WC 06 - BORING shitty tournament, not even the Zidane headbutt makes up for how dull it was

Euro 08 - can't remember it, and no not because England weren't in it ;)

WC 2010 - literally the worst international tournament ever held

Euro 2012 - How many matches can you remember from this? The final was the most anti-climactic ever

WC 2014 - some good games, one iconic game. An ok tournament but will be mostly forgotten aside from 7-1
Euro 2016 - absolutely nothing of interest has happened
>>
What? This match no one remembers is a classic match? Are you high?
Even England losing to part time dentists is already more classical than this
>>
>>69325882
>What? This match no one remembers is a classic match? Are you high?

yes they do you stupid fucking retard piece of shit. tbf it should probably be classic/iconic moments from tournaments, this goal is up there as one of the greatest WC goals of all time. The only people who don't remember it are literal 15 year olds who should be banned from this board forever
>>
>>69325941
no, it's only remembered by /sp/ because muh bear cum
the goal is nothing special, hoofball and keeper fuck up
plus if you count a single goal as a legendary match your OP is wrong because there has been way better goals in recent tournaments, included this one
>>
>>69326011
you have brain damage
>>
>>69326068
I'm not the one who thinks one forgettable goal is more remarkable than 7-1 or Greece winning an Euro
>>
>>69325763
>Euro 2016 - absolutely nothing of interest has happened
PART
>>
Holland vs. Czech Republic Euro 2004
>>
Italy vs Netherlands 2000 is probably the best 0-0 of all time.

Greece winning it all is one of the best underdog stories in sports history

Turkey in 2008 was fun

Russia 3-1 Netherlands was a nice game

World Cup 2006 was a very good tournament imo.

7-1
>>
Turkey vs Croatia Euro 2008
>>
Zidane vs Brazil in 2006 will be regarded as the greatest individual performance ever in a decade or two once people see the Brazil lineup and not knowing that almost none of them were fit or at their peak. Some people actually say it is now
>>
>>69325763
euro 2008 was pretty comfy
>>
>>69325763
i think we can all agree world cups are pretty much always mundane as fuck
>>
>>69325763
>Euro 2000 - Decent tournament. Golden goal was the highlight but they got rid of it
Agree.
>SK 2002 - boring. There was that one game with referee corruption but what happened since?
Agree it was boring. Germany made the final playing like crap says it all
>Euro 2004 - probably the best tournament since WC 1998
Agree. But i'm biased. Still i remember that in 2004 after every portugal match the people flooded the streets on the whole country. Yesterday only very few did in my hometown. There's no magic in the air like 2004 and it's obvious that most people don't feel that much pleasure watching Portugal.
>WC 06 - BORING shitty tournament, not even the Zidane headbutt makes up for how dull it was
Agree. That semi final between Germany and Italy was awful but the last 30 minutes were crazyness
>Euro 08 - can't remember it, and no not because England weren't in it ;)
The best thing of the Euro 2008 was Russia.
>WC 2010 - literally the worst international tournament ever held
So true. Damn...Even Spain never really speed up and was simply playing good enough to win the matches.
>Euro 2012 - How many matches can you remember from this? The final was the most anti-climactic ever.
Besides the Portugal matches, none.
>WC 2014 - some good games, one iconic game. An ok tournament but will be mostly forgotten aside from 7-1
It was a very fun world cup. Nice surprises from the least rated nt's, lots of goals.
>Euro 2016 - absolutely nothing of interest has happened.
Agree. I enjoyed the England Wales match which had that premier league feel to it, but that was it.
Croatia was playing really well on the group stages, they disappointed in the knock out stage. Portugal is boring and awful. France is poor despite having great players. Germany is not quite as good as in the world cup. Spain were a big flop.
The final was already played between Italy and Germany. The other finalist is simply there because one is needed.
>>
>>69325640
argentina netherlands 98
brazil france 98
croatia france 98
croatia germany 98
iran usa 98
england france 00
germany italy 06
italy france 06
france brazil 06
greece france 04
spain italy 08
spain russia 08
spain germany 08
spain netherlands 10
england germany 10
spain italy 12
brazil germany 14
spain netherlands 14
>>
>>69325640
classic as two teams playing the best they can?yes i miss that.There were some cool matches but they always seem so underwhelming compared to the 90s.

some cool matches from 2002 to now that i remember.
>Germany x USA 2002
>Turkey x Brasil 2002
>Mexico x Argentina 2006
>italy x france 2006
>uruguay x ghana 2010
>netherlands x uruguay 2010
>germany x spain 2010

2014 was the shittiest one, only boring-fests or total blow outs
>>
File: 432623445.png (262 KB, 542x452) Image search: [Google]
432623445.png
262 KB, 542x452
>>69326011
>the goal is nothing special, hoofball and keeper fuck up
>>
so basically since 2000, the only good tournaments were Euro 2004 and Euro 2008 to an extent, everything else was a total borefest with more or less individual memorable matches or moments
>>
>>69325763
>2002 - boring
Nah that was the last good world cup(refball aside)
>>
>>69326470
Euro 2000 is the best tournament since 2000 tbqh lad
>>
>every tournament is boring
seriously, it sounds like you guys don't even like football.
>>
>>69326124
I'd hardly call the goal forgettable
>>
>>69326174
The Dutch have been part of my favorite memorable moments
>losing to Mexico in 98
>OP's pic is related good game between two good squads
>04 match against Portugal due to all those cards
>2010 against based Uruguay
>2014 all the matches the dirty Dutuch played in, yes including the no era penal moment
>>
>>69325763
LMAO

How about this English? Your national team was defeated by a team managed by A PART TIME DENTIST

LMAOOOOOO

>nothing of interest

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>69325640

>this flag
>this topic
>>
I still rate Iceland - England in the Euro 2016 2bh
>>
File: 1404073023575.png (175 KB, 859x509) Image search: [Google]
1404073023575.png
175 KB, 859x509
>>69327721
2008 against France and Italy were also great

>that rape against the World Cup and Euro title holders
>>
England vs Iceland = instant classic
>>
94 was was a bit boring and that Baggio miss :(
96 was amazing
98 was the best tournament in my lifetime
00 was pretty amazing as well
02 was pretty bad but the games were also shown bad time in Europe
04 was ok, I still love that Czech team
06 was the tournament with the comfiest atmosphere and the games weren't bad either
08 was the best Euro's in my lifetime
10 almost as bad as 02
12 pretty meh imo
14 great group stage but dysfunctional Southern Americans ruined the play-offs with their shittyness.
16 I've enjoyed this tournament so far, might be pretty forgettable in the future if the Germans win it though.
>>
>>69326247
FOY
>>
>>69327949
that group was crazy
>>
>>69327949
Yes those were good too I forgot that how sweet that group was and Russia was too based that year

And how about that game against England in 96

Euro 04 vs Czech sadly they lost but great game

And Euro 2000 vs Yugoslavia
>>
>>69325763
>06
You still remember the headbutt nevertheless. Also there's that one Croatian match refereed by Graham Poll where Simunic got 3 yellow cards.

>2010
Germany's first two knockout matches, don't try to forget.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.