[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sp/ I have a legit question: Why is drinking alcohol such a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
/sp/ I have a legit question: Why is drinking alcohol such a big part of sports culture?

I'll preface this by saying I'm not really a big drinker (I'm a huge lightweight and drinking kind of makes me feel sick, and I'm not cultured enough to understand beer), but it seems like whether people go to games or watch at home/bars with people, if you aren't getting shitfaced drunk you're some kind of loser. It seems to me like if you're watching/attending a sporting event, you should want to be fully cognizant and coherent during it. There's also like beer league softball where you drink while you play or whatever

Is it just as simple as "it's fun to be drunk"? I mean shouldn't sports be something you can enjoy without needing to be drunk? What is it about alcohol that ingrained it into sports culture?
>>
Men don't like talking to other men because they might catch the gay so they need alcohol to loosen up.
>>
>>69145012
Don't know what it's like in Seppo land, but over here alcohol is a big part of the culture.

Harden up and have a drink with your mates, ya weak poofter.
>>
>>69145012

> Is it just as simple as "it's fun to be drunk"?
yep

> I mean shouldn't sports be something you can enjoy without needing to be drunk?
they are, regardless

> What is it about alcohol that ingrained it into sports culture?
it's awesome?

i think you need to zoom out, bro. life ain't all that complicated
>>
>>69145071
Thanks for the good answers
>>
>>69145012
youre exaggerating, theres always sloppy drunk people at games but they dont make up the majority. most people just drink a few beers
>>
>>69145134
I don't think I am exaggerating that much. Now I don't hate on drinkers because I drink too, but just a little bit. But basically you can't talk about watching/attending sports without talking about drinking, or how fun it is to get blasted at games
>>
>>69145203

> you can't talk about watching/attending sports without talking about drinking, or how fun it is to get blasted at games

i think you just need new friends man
>>
>>69145318
This.

I think OP is confusing cause and effect. People drink when watching sports because they can. They would probably drink if they were at home watching tv.
>>
>>69145203
>But basically you can't talk about watching/attending sports without talking about drinking, or how fun it is to get blasted at games
What kind of sport exactly do you watch with your friends?
>>
drinking alcohol at a plethora of occasions is a big part of western culture in general, i think. i remember going to a street festival in vietnam and thinking that it was kinda weird that the only people drinking alcohol were westerners

>if you aren't getting shitfaced drunk you're some kind of loser
yeah, no

>But basically you can't talk about watching/attending sports without talking about drinking, or how fun it is to get blasted at games
yeah, no
>>
How old are you?
You sound underage 2bh
>>
>>69146597
this is true and I've just had a whole day (it's Canada Day, nation's birthday here to day) of noticing this.
Had actually never noticed it before but today I was moving from place to place, visited several parties and events, and once I noticed I couldn't stop seeing it: most people at these parties were drinking something, but the ONLY drunk people were middle-class whites. And honestly, it looks ugly as shit.

I cringed hard. I think I have a new perspective on this shit now.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.