[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
let's be honest. is international soccer even that big of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: 833579.jpg (531 KB, 770x1024) Image search: [Google]
833579.jpg
531 KB, 770x1024
let's be honest. is international soccer even that big of a deal? do the players really care all that much or is it just a meme cash cow? it's nowhere near the quality of champions league. why does everyone get so spastic about a meaningless exhibition?
>>
>>69138355
The players care because a good international performance is a great aay to get an offer from a big club and sign some endorsement deals. Just look at James Rodriguez after 2014.
>>
Good, you're learning.
>>
>>69138430
*great way
>>
>its a USA starts to actually understand football thread

FUCK WUT

yeah, only countries with shitty meme leagues care because all their stars come back home and play for 'them', for everyone else its a sideshow until the real football starts again
>>
international competitions in any sport are always second rate. i don't understand why there's so much hype behind the world cup, the only thing it seems to accomplish is to divide people even further.
>>
>>69138355
>do the players really care all that much or is it just a meme cash cow?
deoends, some do some dont (the ones the do are the ones that win )
>why does everyone get so spastic about a meaningless exhibition?
Banter, WW3 would break out in a year time without international football
>>
>>69138532
Because it's fucking fun
>>
Lol stick to handegg
>>
The World Cup is the biggest thing anyone can win
>>
>>69138443
>>69138516
PART
>>
>>69138355
They're still big, but not as much as they used to be.

Reason being in club football you can create super teams, which has been even more prominent in recent times with having super wealthy clubs.

Another in my opinion is multiculturalism on European teams. It seems a lot of black and arabs only play on European national teams to further their career even they they don't care as much as their white team mates.

France and Belgium are good examples of this.
>>
>>69138355
Club Soccer
>Which team has the most money

International Soccer
>Which country produces the best players

Do you guys even have pride? International soccer is best soccer.
>>
>>69138355
the same way traditional clubs represent a city, NT's represent a country, with an added bonus of having almost every player being from said country, just like most players where from the town their club represented back in the day.

I suppose it's hard to understand for an american who probably bandwagons a meme english club like Chelsea/Arsenal/MU
>>
>>69138733
This to be quite honest with you family
>>
>>69138532
It's enjoyable as fuck and the world cup has so many famous moments in it's history. Most famous moments are probably from a world cup. Being only every 4 years makes it more pressured.

It's only the last few years where a tiny handful of clubs have so much financial pull that they amass a squad of the best players in the world. It's normally only ever been one or maybe two clubs if any, at any one time, that can make a team to compete with the very best national teams.
>>
>>69138733
>living vicariously through the accomplishments of undereducated millionaires is better than being entertained by those millionaires
top cuck
>>
>>69138668

yeah because getting past costa rica in the quarter-finals is somehow harder than getting past Juventus, right? if you ask Robben if he'd rather play against CR or Juve, which do you think he'd pick?
>>
Don't know what you people are talking about, if anything, the level of football at the current euros is higher than usual or expected. The teams are more polished tactically, the difference between scrubs and favorites is lesser and there's more memes and heart than ever.
>>
>>69138850
I'm really sure he would rather win the first world cup in Dutch history than yet another title for Bayern...
>>
>>69138850
Because getting past roma, wolfsburg and city is so difficult right?
If you ask any football player ever what trophy he would like to win the most thats the world cup
It's the biggest and most prestigious trophy in all of sports, only hipsters from shit countries think otherwise
>>
>>69138355
International tournaments feel more real in my opinion. Players seem to be driven more by passion than money. Also they're representing an entire nation, that's what gets people so excited.
>>
>>69138850
Not really a fair comparison, Juve are about the 5th best club side in the world whereas Costa Rica aren't really on that level internationally. Not that fifa rankings mean shit but they're current'y ranked 23rd.
>>
File: soccer-world-cup-2006.jpg (162 KB, 820x461) Image search: [Google]
soccer-world-cup-2006.jpg
162 KB, 820x461
The World Cup is the most important trophy because the whole country is excited about it. You can share the passion with almost everyone.
Everyone in Germany knows who scored the winning goal 1954 and has heard the legendary radio report but who remembers the Champions League season 60 years ago?
>>
>>69139103
>it's popular, therefore it's the best
not an argument
>>
>>69138842
I don't understand your point.
You're being entertained either way. One's more entertaining to me because it's my actual country.

Clubs can dissolve, your nationality is forever.
>>
>>69139170
'best' is a subjective term depending on what you value
>>
>>69139170
OP asked whether it's a big deal and if the players really care. Well yes, it's a big deal because everyone is passionate about it and the players care because they can become legends.
>>
The difference between international sports and club sports is that players can easily be bought and sold. You can't really do that in international football. So while players usually play for money at club level, they almost always play to do their country proud at international level.

And since the quality of football is generally lower, it means that underdogs have a higher chance of doing well.

It's also easy to pick a team to root for. With club football, every club has a lot of history that you're expected to know about if you want to support them. With international football, you just pick the country you live in (or whether you/your parents are from). That's one of the biggest reasons why the World Cup is the most viewed event in the world, women and children who barely even know the rules of the game can enjoy it and feel a part of the team.
>>
anyone notice how it's always an american shitting on football?
>>
>>69138355
yes
messi will never be goat because of that

maradona > missi
>>
>>69138355
>why does everyone get so spastic about a meaningless exhibition?
because relevant footballing nations care
git gud or git rekt 'murica
>>
>>69139293
Aussies and Canucks do it too, you just don't notice it because there are fewer of them. I'm sure that 2chan has plenty of Japanese baseball fans bitching about soccer as well
>>
>>69139293
It's almost like they don't have relevant sports to discuss.
>>
>>69138355
>ITT: americans shitposting about things they know next to nothing about.
>>
Amerifats cant fell and grasp the magnificence of football, stay handicapped in your bubble.
>>
It's not as good technically and tactically as in the league(s), but international games still produce top tier entertainment because it's so random. The players play with each other only a month or two over the whole year and they are not all top tier players like in many clubs.

Why it's so popular? It's always fun to watch your country play.
>>
>>69139437
You need to look at it from their point of view. They're the only country that plays their meme sports, they'll never be able to understand the concept of international sports. Sport is an activity that transcends language, religion and race. I don't speak French but I can still laugh with a Frenchman over 7-1. You probably don't speak German but you can still laugh with a German about Englel losing to Iceland.

The American view of sports is very warped. It's all about statistics to them, it's just a topic of conversation rather than a real passion. It's not just about winning when it comes to being a sports fan, it's about the journey.
>>
>>69138355
all your ''world'' series are about playing against yourself, so you can't really understand how ALL the coutnry is watching and caring for a single game in TV ma ybe important

Winning a WC is by far the most important event in sport community of football countries
And who does it is forever remembered in the story of his country like a national hero, and that's why all players in the field do 1000% better, they are playing not only for themselves, but for their families and friends
>>
>the quality is not as high when the players don't train together every single day
shocking. But it still means more to win with the players you've been dealt instead of just buying someone from the other side of the world
>>
>>69138685
TIME
>>
Its so much better than Club football. Think about it instead of having local players and foreign players bought as investments you get to pick from the best players from an entire country..
>>
>>69139870
For example if you ask random people on the street they can probably tell yopu all 11 starting player of both 2006 and 1982, while can only name a few of 70 and 94, which were way better teams, but lost the finals
>>
>>69139870
>all your world series

The World Series is baseball's championship only, and the name is based on tradition more than anything else (they started calling it that in 1881). All other sports have different names for their championships:

NFL- Super Bowl
NBA- NBA Finals
MLS- MLS Cup
NHL- Stanley Finals
>>
Messi apologists pretend it doesnt matter.
>>
It's a meme. The quality of play is abysmal, it's just an excuse for women and people who don't understand the sport to be rabid and root for something for no particular reason. It's not about enjoying a game, it's about being a mindless fanatic.

Hell, the cameramen do nothing but constantly focus on attractive women in the stands. That's international football.
>>
>>69140169
The fact that your country recently lost 7-0 in an international game has nothing to do with your opinion, of course.
>>
>>69140273
Probably not, this has been apparent to me since I started to "get" football, who knows exactly when that happened. The last time I enjoyed an international tournament was germany 2006, but hey, I was 13 back then and obviously prone to fanboying, just like most people who watch international football. It's just hype.

I'll take my fedora with me when I leave, you don't need to remind me.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.