[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is football the worst designed popular sport? Seems like it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: football-157931_960_720[1].png (214 KB, 733x720) Image search: [Google]
football-157931_960_720[1].png
214 KB, 733x720
Is football the worst designed popular sport?

Seems like it's inherently flawed.
>>
Could you point it's flaws?
>>
probably, but most people don't know anything else
>>
>>69113412
It's cricket. Nobody actually understands it.
>>
>>69113412
Compared to rugby it's pretty fucking smooth tttt. I love rugby but fuck me some of the breakdown laws are confusing, and the entire original concept of a scrum has been proven false yet they still do them for historical reasons

>>69113441
This is bait.
>>
>>69113412
if your sport has added new ways to score points within the last 50 years, then it's inherently flawed
this applies mainly to apehoop, so apehoop is the worst designed sport
>>
>>69113412
in baseball, there is no clock, and draws are not allowed. so theoretically a baseball game could go on forever, until the players died, if they are truly evenly matched.
>>
>>69113460
>the entire original concept of a scrum has been proven false

Elaborate kiwibro
>>
>>69113505
>baseball
>no ties allowed
>players can fall dead and the game will continue to avoid a tie

automatically disqualifies baseball from worst designed sport
>>
>>69113505
not a flaw?
>>
>>69113412
My biggest gripe with it is the diving and flopping about many players (even stars) engage in. It makes it unwatchable.
>>
>>69113518
The scrum was originally a "tug of war" sort of restart, the ball is placed in the centre and the teams push until the hooker can hook it back. If it is placed directly in the centre neither hooker can hook it until their scrum has pushed them forward at least a little bit. if he tries to hook too early he risks kicking it into the other team's side accidentally.

It's a cool idea in theory but it really doesn't work. Staying in scrum position is super fucking difficult and more than 50% of scrums collapse.

In reality they collapse all the time and are pretty boring. I'd honestly prefer it if they just invented a whole other kind of re-start, at least rugby scrums are better than those fucking group hugs they have in league.
>>
>>69113412
Don't be salty Paco. You can't always win
>>
>>69113539
Oh, and the regularity of draws (particularly scoreless draws).
>>
there are really only two major transgressions that I would consider flaws

1. Women participate alongside men
2. Ties are allowed
>>
>>69113423
Undecisive officiating for one. It's a big issue when players have to dive to sell calls that are legit fouls, it brings us this era of permanent diving. But since players for a long time thought it was better to continue the action than to stop the ball for a free kick, they often stayed on their feet when fouled and the referees let them play. The problem is that nowadays it's clear that a free kick is usually a better chance at the goal than continuing your run, so falling when fouled is the better option.
Which is also related to my second issue: tiny goals. The goals have stayed the same size for 100+ years while the elite goalkeeper's have grown an average of ~30cm. They're much better at their job and it's much harder to trump them in regular play. At least that's how I explain the steep rise in the proportions of goals scored on set pieces in big tournaments. And since set pieces are an increasingly good way to score, it makes diving increasingly desireable.
You have to at least fix one of those and it will reduce diving significantly, which I think is the major issue right now.

There may also be a semi-related size of the pitch/number of players issue. As Van Basten so eloquently said, the modern game is played on something like 20m length of the pitch when all the players on the pitch are jumbled together, compared to his time when they had much more space. This was brought by an unforseen rise in athleticism and defensive tactics in the 2010s. It may not be a legit design flaw, but imo it prevents us from seeing plays that are as spectacular as we could expect from players who have such technique.

I think a shotclock like they have in basketball (obviously longer) could also be beneficial and prevent a lot of boring endgames and other tiki taka shenanigans.

Then there's the meme flaw that a sport played by humans doesn't have them using their opposable thumbs for shit. No handling, no tool. Not a very typically human sport by any means.
>>
>>69113603
>1. Women participate alongside men
That's stupid anon. If they have enough ability to compete with men, there's no reason to prevent them to do so. Of course it would be a sport that really doesn't rely on athleticism, and also not a forced quota like in net/korfball.
>>
they need to sort out the arbitrary added time system. it's fucking nonsensical
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.