[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sp/, I don't usually come here but a podcast I lik
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 590[1].jpg (43 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
590[1].jpg
43 KB, 200x200
Hey /sp/, I don't usually come here but a podcast I like spent a good deal of time talking about sports in the first act of the show.

All of the following techniques or concepts apparently result in an objectively better outcome according to scientific studies.

>throwing free-throws underhanded in basketball
>Going for a 4th down more often in football
>trading away first draft picks in favor of multiple second round picks, which are often statistically better than the first round picks

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/590/transcript
>>
bump?
>>
>>69070835
No idea, but I usually like this american life. I'll check out this episode later though.
>>
>>69070835

I agree with underhanded free throws being easier to make. Its just that players dont do it because it isnt cool. Rcik Barry used to do it and scored 90 percent of them. But when he told shaq he could teach him the technique he was laughed off because he would rather shoot overhanded and only make 48 percent of his shots then look weird.
>>
>>69070835
>throwing free-throws underhanded in basketball
Because players are obsessed with their image
>>
>>69070835
>>throwing free-throws underhanded in basketball
This one's stupid. I imagine the lob motion gives you a lot more time to influence the arc and power of the shot. People don't do it in games or they'll get blocked but there's no reason not to do it at the FT line. Other than "it looks bad". But then most BB players are black, ie more concerned with looking good than winning.
Regardless it's a bad "scientific study" if they're going to base it off of Wilt improving or Barry being a great FT shooter. Not enough NBA players do it for it to be a proper study, if that's what they used.

>trading away first draft picks in favor of multiple second round picks, which are often statistically better than the first round picks
Again, I doubt that result. Regardless, teams have a finite number of players (15) so trading 1 first round pick for 3 2nd rounders is untenable when you're only able to keep one of those guys on the roster. Also even if you could put those 3 guys on the roster, players get better by playing. No 2nd round guy is going to get playing time unless he's brilliant from the get go, which limits most of these players' opportunities to show their talent at the highest level. And then if none of the players you picked in the 2nd round are worth anything after 1 year, you're going to have to dump them all so you can insert another group of 3 from the next year's draft. Ergo, if you have limited space and opportunity, you want to pick as high as possible so you have a wider array of options, rather than just taking whatever's left at the end of the draft.
>>
>>69072051
the draft one is probably about the NFL
>>
>>69072051

Which team has limited space though really? I know I wish the iggles traded down for 3 players rather than up for a qb
>>
>>69072051
Regardless it'd be interesting to see a team give up a couple of first round picks for a stash of 2nd rounders (what a weird trade that'd be) and scout only outside of the USA, using those picks on foreign talent and draft+stashing an absurd number of players they can call back if they evolve.

Still, late 2nd rounders have so little value they're often traded for cash, so the league probably doesn't think it's that revolutionary an idea.
>>
>>69072192
Like >>69072200 pointed out, I thought he meant the NBA. Dunno the first thing about handegg. Whoopsie.
>>
>>69072276
Shit, can't even get my quotes right. Time for bed.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.