[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>When the world cup of football was launched in the 1920s,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: timthumb[1].jpg (32 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
timthumb[1].jpg
32 KB, 200x200
>When the world cup of football was launched in the 1920s, Britain stayed out of it. Britain felt that they had invented the game, and they already had an internal competition that featured England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. In 1950 England was willing to join the world cup but Germany objected to the idea that Britain had four national teams: after all, West Germany consisted of not four but ten states. For the record, Brazil consists of 26 states and the Soviet Union at the time consisted of 15 republics, one of which (Russia) was in turn a federation of other republics. So it sounded a bit funny that Britain would get four national teams instead of just one. The British were adamant that they, being a superior country, deserved four national teams, not just one like everybody else. One country came to their rescue: Italy. Italy was perfectly happy that Britain would split its best players among four teams. The result? England made it to the final of the world cup only once (in 1966, when it won), whereas Italy made it to the final 6 times and won 4 times. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland never even made it to the semifinals. So Britain keeps its royal (imperial?) pride, whereas Italy gets to win a lot more often. Other than David Beckham, it is hard for foreigners to name a great English player, who has won a lot internationally. On the other hand, it is easy to name a great Welsh player (John Charles, and today Gareth Bale), a great Northern Irish player (George Best), a great Scottish player (Kenny Dalglish). Imagine if these champions had played in England's team (with the likes of Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore and Beckham) .Bale is widely considered one of the greatest living players and, still, he has never played in a world cup.
>>
>That anecdote explains a lot about the British who want to leave the EU. It is not about winning, it is about national pride. They want to leave the EU and pay the consequences for the same reason that they have no intention of unifying those four national teams in one, no matter how much the world laughs at that oddity and how badly they lose in all international competitions.

Is this true???
>>
>>68801920
Did Germany have 10 different football associations? Did the USSR have 15? Nope.

Why would we play as Britain in 1950 when we'd played separately for 70 years prior?
>>
why is scaruffles so dreamy
>>
bump for potential keks
>>
>>68801934
No, it's all total bollocks.

I'm guessing you copy pasted from some misinformed person from a shitty forum. Probably American.
>>
>>68801973
technically yes

a lot of national FAs didnt came out of nowhere but from the union of local FAs.
>>
it's pretty stupid really. we compete as GBR in pretty much every other competition other than the sports we codified (football, rugby, cricket). i guess at the time, there wasn't many teams to play against so it made sense, but now sports are truly global, diluting our talent pool for the sake of muh history is stupid
>>
File: 1458651035552.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458651035552.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>68801920
DELETE THIS
>>
>>68801973
Just admit Italy sabotaged you into mediocrity. There is still time to make things better!
>>
>>68802112
I'd rather lose as England than win as Britain.
>>
>implying any other countries even matter

fuck off literally who
>>
they should made union for all the european FAs desu m8s

> BRITANNIA: England, Ireland, Ireland 2, Wales, Scotland, & Faroe
> IBERIA: Portugal, Spain & Andorra
> GALIA: France, Belgium, Switzerland & Luxembourg
> GERMANIA: Deutschland, Austria, Netherlands & Liechtenstein
> RUSSIA NOVAYA: Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Georgia & Kazakhstan
> SCANDINAVIA: Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark & Iceland
> CZECHOSLOVAKIA: Czech rep, Slovakia & Hungary,
> YUGOSLAVIA: Slovenia, Hrvatska, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo & Macedonia.
> ITALICA: Italia, Malta, San Marino & Vatican city,
> KYIV RUS: Ukraine, Roumania, Moldova & Belarus
> POLAND: Poland & Israel
> BYZANTIUM: Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Armenia & Azerbaijan

not an ethnic expert pls no bully
>>
>>68802198
Half of these would rather kill each other 2bh
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
Source?
>>
>>68801920
Do we need this fucker on this board too?
>>
>>68802318
came here to post this
>>
Daily reminder that Scaruffi is not only an autist but also a pleb
>>
>>68802198
You actually gave this a tought or is this pasta? It yells autism
>>
>>68802198
that is pretty good for not being an ethnic expert

I like how Argentinians are either extremely cultured or extremely ignorant
>>
>>68802318
this.

In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from.
>>
>>68802198
>> YUGOSLAVIA: Slovenia, Hrvatska, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo & Macedonia.

Oh no. Not again!

The serbs would start digging a hole in the middle of the field for the bosnians.
>>
Reminder that this guy literally thinks that Lana Del Rey is a good artist
>>
>>68802430
That's how journalism works. Papers are a product
>>
>>68802318
>>68802430

>I don't know what pop music is: the post

>I don't understand that "rock" is a meaningless genre.
>>
>>68802477
Beatles' "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll. It replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear Western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.
>>
>>68802415
I am ukrainan btw, living here since I was baby tho
>>
>>68802469
he thinks soulja boy is a good artist too.
>>
>>68802049
He was scottish
>>
>>68801934
I'd rather be poor than a europoor, if that's what you mean
>>
>>68802164
spoken like a true anglo!
>>
>>68802567
what's the difference between poor and europoor?
>>
>>68802198
Iberia should be included in Byzantium, what with how often they got cucked by them.
>>
>>68801920
>>68801934
I think they favor Bretix because they don't want to see their country looted by German bankers, which is what happened in a certain country you might be familiar with.
>>
Scruffy is bad enough on /mu/, please don't bring him here
>>
perfidious albion rekt by the eternal italian kike
it's pottery
>>
>>68802318
>(not true, by the way)
is this dude a meme?
>>
>>68802639
Europe's not actually poor, it's just a meme. But Britain was built on poverty, so we could survive for a few years without electricity and it would make us stronger
>>
>>68802554
Explains why he thinks anyone would know Kenny Dalglish outside his managing in the PL and also his pro-EU cuck demeanour.

The truth is FIFA practically begged the British teams to compete in 1950, even letting us use the British Home Championship in 1949 as qualifiers for it. It's also strange Germany wanted 10 teams for themselves when they were banned for the 1950 WC.
>>
File: 1446415117921.jpg (26 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1446415117921.jpg
26 KB, 400x462
>>68802198
>splitting based BENELUX
>>
>>68802198
> IBERIA: Portugal, Spain & Andorra
> Cheering for penaldo
Not in this lifetime, negro
>>
>>68802816
Iberia is just Real Madrid desu
>>
>>68801920
>le italian rockist pedo
>>>/mu/
>>
>>68801973
How you gonna Brexit when you can't even put together a footy team
>>
>>68802198
>Ireland 2
this almost made me kek harder than Scariffi did
>>
>>68801920
Based Italians seeing things from a practical perspective to get more power, instead of some dumb German moral stance that would have bothered us all.

For example, a 60s UK team with John Charles (striker of Juventus with impressive stats) and George Best would have destroyed everyone. Just like a UK team with Bale would be unstoppable now.
>>
>>68802861
If we Brexit, Scotland exits UK and rejoins EU
Because no-one wants to move to Scotland, they don't know what immigration actually is
>>
>>68802797
IIRC that pasta was made to fit a 12 teams WC qualification system in UEFA, but cant really tell what was the original context
>>
>thinks loss of privacy in the digital age is a good thing
>thinks he should be able to marry a ten year old
>thinks writing a couple poems in Italian that got published in some obscure literary magazine makes him an 'award winning poet'
>thinks anyone wants to read his shitty essays
fuck this loser, I'll listen to his rock music recommendations but that's about it.
>>
>>68802198
I think is much more likely to make a chile-uruguay-argentina super team.
Not in a million years.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.