[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you Americans like him? He seems to have a done a good job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 6
File: jurgen-klinsmann.jpg (161 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
jurgen-klinsmann.jpg
161 KB, 1200x800
Do you Americans like him?

He seems to have a done a good job if the US can make it to the Semi Finals of a Copa America.

What are your general thoughts on him as a coach?
>>
>>68559116
who is this fellow
>>
>>68559175
Kurgy Jinsmann
>>
his team selection is based on meme

utter wanker that gets lucky, US has never ever been an entertaining or good team, they play too much like it's baseball or something, parking the bus until one chance to score. homerun mentality
>>
>>68559116
he's good
>>
>>68559175
This 2bh.

I wouldn't recognize him if I ran into him on the street.
>>
He's done well with a really complex and difficult job.

Balancing fielding a competitive team with minimal talent while adhering to long term plan for growing soccer in this country is not easy.
>>
>>68559116
based af desu
>>
>>68559116
He's foreign and the idea of having a foreigner coach a national team seems totally outrageous. I thought this was just a thing for small countries. Is this a common thing in soccer?
>>
File: file.jpg (352 KB, 1200x1014) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
352 KB, 1200x1014
does ok with talent available
>>
>>68559253
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Just delete your post and go back to /mlb/
>>
>>68559451
nice proxy britfag, as if you even watch USMNT

ive seen every game. went to the training camp. if you have a problem come fight me.
>>
the ones who dislike him are probably donovan fanbois
>>
>>68559116

Literally my husbando
>>
>>68559526
You said the USA has never been exciting or good.

As if that's Klins' fault
>>
>>68559451
he doesn't belong in /mlb/, how the fuck do you park the bus in baseball? is there ever a time when a pitcher isn't playing defensively?
>>
>>68559116
Fuck no
His game management is terrible
>>
>>68560069

FUCK OFF REDDIT
>>
His parking bus skills aren't even near Cholo level, maybe on some euro 2nd division
>>
He tinkers too much with lineups when consistency is badly needed. The long-term plan seems to be priority number one, which is fine, but I have a nasty feeling Bradley could be doing more with this exact same lineup. Tactically sound if uninteresting, but will not win any manager of the year awards.
>>
>>68559360
England had that Italian guy for a while
>>
>>68559116
I think he's decent. He's not world-class but seems to be a good motivator, and the players seem to genuinely like him. I'd much rather have a Yuro soccer mind out there than an American one tobehonest.

I think most Americans are neutral on him, the only hardcore hatebase he has is from MLelS shills and hopefully this Copa America will silence some of the critics.
>>
Everything he does outside of meme European high-profile friendlies is horrific, but I can't deny that when it's time to put up or shut up he gets it done.

The team plays the most defensive it ever has in ages but still wins ugly, go figure. Not a fan and never was, but it seems our players can carry any manager.
>>
>>68559116
Doubting Klinsmann is a bad thing
>>
>>68562267
>when it's time to put up or shut up he gets it done
>it seems our players can carry any manager
pick one famalam
>>
>>68559116
Pretty mediocre, put him in charge of youth development
>>
he is cool.

american by citizenship so all is good
>>
>>68559116

he always gets results in the big tournaments

ignore all the bandwagoning hipster noise about him, he is the best thing for us soccer's long term success and stability
>>
>>68559116
He triggers the fuck out of MLS bronies so he's cool in my book

BRADLEY Wright-Phillips is one of the best players in that league and these people want him to fill our starting lineup with MLS players who have never even played a minute in a decent club league.
>>
>>68562267
You seem very confused
>>
>>68562587
>he always gets results in the big tournaments
He's only been in one
And he didn't get that far
>>
Complete trash. Complains about poor youth players then decides to do something like put in Wondo over Pusilic when we're up 3-0

Also Donovan is the best US national player of all time
>>
He seems to pull more than our weight in tournaments. Not sure if there's anyone of comparable stature to replace him with that wouldn't want out in two years.
>>
>>68559360
>Is this a common thing in soccer?

Yes, including in big countries: England, Russia, etc. Don't be close-minded. It is not dishonorable to be lucid and recognize the superiority of foreign talent, and having Klinsmann to coach your team is an honor.

Also, daily reminder your country was founded by British citizens.
>>
>>68562486
We love our immigrants

But you have to be here *legally*
>>
>>68559116
he's a good technical director, but he makes weird tactical decisions sometimes and he doesnt always make the right sub calls

it would be great to keep him to oversee the US youth development but maybe replace him after 2018
>>
>>68559116
No idea who he is. From his shirt I'd guess the coach of our national soccer team
>>
>>68563011
we had Foreign coaches before, US is actually quite open to foreign raised/born players

half of those guys are German American
>>
>>68562925
>He seems to pull more than our weight in tournaments
Forgetting last year?
That one actually mattered

>>68563072
>he's a good technical director
Where the fuck does this come from?
>>
>>68562654

would you say he "underachieved" against belgium

if so, who would you get instead, and who do you think would do a better job with the current roster
>>
File: ey.jpg (210 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
ey.jpg
210 KB, 960x960
>>68563059
Do you even love me senpai?
>>
>>68559116
He's ok, it seems like he values physical ability over technical or mental ability when it comes to the youngsters though. He needs to bring Emerson Hyndman into the fold as quickly as possible, we desperately need to develop a central midfielder that has some creative vision.
>>
>>68559116
I want to like him but it's pretty obvious he doesn't really strategize so much as throws shit at a wall every other game and see what sticks.

The teams seems to win despite him oftentimes.
>>
He turned a shitty team in contenders

Best winning % in U.S. history

He's a true American, and a hero
>>
>>68563298
>7/16/2016
Wrong month, but thanks for using the right format
>>
>>68563185
>gold cup
>actually mattered

right, almost as much as the Asian champions league
>>
>>68559116
We love him when we succeed and take out our pitchforks when he fails

Overall, he has probably one of the worst managing jobs on the planet, and some of the most critical press against him and his decisions, so I try to give him some credit because that cannot be an easy place to be.

Overall, he relies on too many old players and is reluctant to bring in youth, the Wondo pick over Morris this tourney made NO sense, and now, it looks like it may have cost us the whole kitten kabootle

7/10
>>
>>68559360
He's an American citizen dipshit.
>>
>>68563244
It wasn't like he did anything spectacular in the world cup
The group self-destructed around us

Define current roster
Because one of Klinsmann's flaws is his roster selection
>>
>>68563397
Morris is a meme

Go back to Seattle
>>
>>68563072
Chicano spotted
>>
>>68563396
It matters more than this meme thing
Plus losing to Jamaica is something that should never happen
>>
So fellow murribros

Bedoya out
Jones out
Wood out

What the fuck are we gonna do?
>>
>>68563298
The fuck are you from the future?
>>
>>68563072
His sub calls were 100% today

He's creating depth and using it, all around he's a great manager
>>
>>68563499
>Expecting me to know the number of Summer months.
Holy shit I've been here too long
>>
>>68563164
Frankly I think a top foreign coach with a long-term vision could produce very good results for America.

I'll get a lot of hate for saying this, but USA could even win a World Cup with a coach that's good enough (plus a bit of luck).

I'm thinking of a Greece 2004 scenario.
>>
>>68563489
lose but it's great that we made it

I'd move Zardes up, stick Yedlin back at RB, and start Beckerman and Zusi
>>
>>68563503
>His sub calls were 100% today
Like leaving Bedoya in to get carded when it was already clear for ten minutes he was completely gassed?
>>
>>68563489
Prepare anuses for little white Argie cock.

Bedoya won't be too big of a loss desu
As much as I want to hate old man Jones he has been very consistent and hasn't really tried to do too much this tournament
Wood is extremely inconsistent, tonight he was okay so that probably means he would have been shit against Argentina

Pulisic needs to see the field, I don't give a fuck about anything else desu senpai
>>
>>68563503
bedoya should have been out at least 5 min earlier and now he's suspended the same day jones is. That's not 100%.
>>
Anyone who knows the slightest about soccer knows we're punching way above our weight with klinsmann

Casuals will still call for his head though if we don't start winning trophies
>>
>>68563563
Like how he anticipated the final 20 would be all pressure by the away side, in a knockout round, and saved his final sub to kill time? YES exactly that

>>68563577
Saving a sub for the final minute of stoppage is what anybody would have done, in a close mach with no stoppage you expect the pressure to come in the last minute

You faggots blame the manager when it's the ref who reached in his back pocket so many times today you'd think his dick came out of his ass
>>
>>68563616
Because Paraguay and Ecuador are huge giants in the soccer world
Don't forget Jamaica
>>
>>68563668
sorry meant no extra time
>>
>>68563668
Having him for the next game is much more important
Especially since that foul turned into a free kick
>>
>>68563668
Bedoya's side was already getting all the pressure preciesly because Bedoya's legs were completely dead. There was zero reason to leave him in, and if Ecuador weren't fuckups on those headers it would have cost the game yellow card aside.
>>
>>68563668
bedoya wasn't subbed off in stoppage time friendo.
>>
>>68563726
He wasn't subbed off because Klansman wanted to save his final sub for stoppage, which was the right thing to do considering the heat Ecuador was bringing at the end

>>68563722
Nobody can predict a foul with total accuracy before it happens, it's easy to criticize after the fact

>>68563710
Not really since our only fouled out player is returning to the back 4 in the next match
>>
>>68559116
When was the last time England made it to the semifinals of a major tournament?
>>
>>68559427
kek he's right (same shit in our small country tbqh)
>>
>>68563838
When they made the final 4 in ww2
>>
>>68563820
Uh Bedoya's out for the next game
>>
Germany tricked us into taking this dud but yuroboos will suck his cock no matter what because he shits on MLS
>>
>>68563881
Yeah? I was talking about Yedlin returning at RB which means Johnson can move back to the left, and losing Bedoya isn't that big a deal

Losing Johnson and Wood is a big deal, but that's the ref's fault.
>>
>>68563888
>he shits on MLS
Took long enough for this whining to start. He's right about that, by the way.
>>
>>68563820
what are you talking about? Bedoya was subbed off in the 81st, and he was the 2nd substitution. He put in a massive and active shift and was dying out there. he was a defensive liability and a suspension risk in the leading up to the 70th minute or so. The announcers even mentioned it. Then he got a suspension yellow and gave away a free kick that led to a goal. JK still had another sub left after that one.
>>
>>68563888
He doesn't shit on MLS
He just gets obsessed with certain players
>>
>>68563820
>save his final sub for stoppage, which was the right thing to do

He should have subbed out Bedoya sooner. He's lucky that it didn't cost us but that doesn't mean that it was some genius move to kill momentum late in the game.
>>
>>68563921
losing Jones and Wood*
>>
>>68563820
>Nobody can predict a foul with total accuracy before it happens, it's easy to criticize after the fact
That's the thing retars, he should have been pulled regardless of the foul because that entire side was collapsing every 30 seconds under Ecuador's attack because he had no legs.
>>
>>68559116
>He seems to have a done a good job
WRONG
>>
>>68563931
And here come the yuroboos

Let me guess, you don't think US soccer will be relevant until we implement relegation?

What's your favorite EPL team and do you have a scarf?
>>
>>68563947
But it was a designed move to kill time at the end of the game, and that means he was thinking. Of course he makes mistakes Jesus he's still propelling us further than anybody else would be.

>>68563955
Just see above you hen pecking faggot
>>
>>68563401
source? I can't find anything on him being a citizen
>>
>>68563921
What?
Why would you want to lose another player?
>>
>>68564013
again, the bedoya sub WASN'T the one made in time-killing
>>
>>68563427
>The group self-destructed around us

We beat Ghana and nearly beat Portugal, and only conceded one to Germany. Wtf are you on about?
>>
>>68564003
Fulham America FC is my club. If you support a My Little Sawker franchise over based Fulham then you are a nonce
>>
>>68559116
He's done a great job. He is the director of football operations, along with the best competitive win% of any USA manager. His job is more than USMNT manager.
>>
>>68564013
>it means he was thinking. Of course he makes mistakes

If it took him 30 minutes to realize Bedoya needed to get off then he shouldn't be a coach.

Not sure how you can claim that he's better than anyone else, that's pure speculation. I thought we played better under Bradley though for what that's worth.
>>
>>68559116
He's no better than coaches we've had before. His only real contribution is his Germany pipeline. Then again, the US team has always pulled foreign born players just fine, and none of them would ever sniff the German national team, so I'm relatively sure they'd be here regardless.

He's a good asset for u.s. soccer, but not as manager.
>>
>>68563545
Pep has been quoted as saying he wants to manage the US in the future, I think that could be amazing if it happens eventually. If we run Klinsmann out of town there's a 0% chance Pep would be willing to come though
>>
>>68564086
Ghana should have beat us
We only beat out Portugal because of GD
>>
>>68564115
we were more consistent under bb probably, but we definitely look more comfortable and confident in possession against decent teams than we used to. though I think the general talent is better now (clark and bornstein were regular starters under bradley).
>>
>>68563669
Ecuador is literally 2nd in CONMEBOL standings right now, above Argentina, Colombia, Brazil and Chile. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>68564089
Sorry but I'm a soccer fan, I don't care for footy m8
>>
>>68564177
>score an early goal
>defend competently
>answer with a winner

we outplayed portugal too
>>
>>68564003
>you don't think US soccer will be relevant until we implement relegation?
No, I don't think that.

>What's your favorite EPL team
I don't have one actually. I enjoy watching the league in general because the quality is so much higher. Top class players from around the world (there are maybe 2 or 3 of them in MLS), exciting young prospects (no coincidence that the best US youngsters are playing overseas), no abysmal refereeing (and no league-run Youtube channel that tries to defend awful ref decisions). And the league and teams don't feel obliged to resort to minor-league baseball gimmicks to keep fans and TV viewers engaged.

I don't hate MLS, I just don't actively seek it out like I do international leagues or top tournaments like the CA.

>do you have a scarf?
Nope.
>>
>>68564172
Huh? Link?
>>
>>68564177
Fuck off chicano

We deserved to win against Portugal regardless
>>
>>68559116
He's OK.

Jurgen has some obvious flaws, constant lineup tinkering is one of them. But, he's scouted a couple of good players (Morris, Wood, Zardes, Yedlin, bringing in Brooks EARLY) and his substitutions are above-average in terms of effectiveness.

He, like all other managers, has players that he sticks by. But, JJ, Brooks (who until this tournament had never been able to translate his club form to the international stage), and Dempsey have all produced.

Overall, I'm not dissatisfied, but I hope that his youth development programs have been producing good talent, because our YNT failed to qualify for the Olympics AGAIN. I'm OK with him being coach till 2018, when it's time for fresh eyes.
>>
>>68559360
Mexico's head coach is Columbian and I think columbia's head coach is Argentinian
>>
>>68564003
US soccer will be relevant when we stop the fucking designated player nonsense. Just let the big teams pay shitloads of money and more and more players at or above the caliber of someone like Giovinco will come in. Just look at what's happening in China.
>>
>>68564153
>None would make the German National team

John. Anthony. Brooks. Guaranteed.

Fabian Johnson could be there depending on the coach, because Low likes 3 CB/1 FB backlines, and FabJ could possibly make it as a utility bench player under a coach that uses fullbacks alot.
>>
>>68564356
NASL didn't work out m8
>>
>>68563921
Jones tapped a guy in the face, that was full retard, and Klinsmann should have been jumping up and down on his head with cleats on. They are pure lucky Ecuador's player was already on a yellow or this game would have been over.
>>
>>68564306
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2013/07/25/report-bayern-munichs-pep-guardiola-would-coach-usmnt-one-day-sideline
>>
>>68564356
But muh stability and parity

I think totally deregulating the clubs Yuro-style would not be good for the league in the long term, look at what that did to the NASL. But I do agree the wage and transfer caps should both be lifted by quite a bit.
>>
>>68563011
>Including big countries
Germany, Italy, Brasil nor Argentina haven't had a single foreigner manager through their history, I think. And personally I consider those to be the biggest national teams by far.
>>
>>68564356
US will be a top contender once they stop making Youth programs pay to play

honestly, it costs like $5k to play for top clubs and alot of poor kids who are good dont get to play because of it
>>
>>68559116
I just hate the fact that he rather bring in players who are in European 3rd division teams or don't play period ex: yedlin start looking at players on USA soil build a bond look at Mexico most of their players all play in the Mexican league and those who come European teams started in Mexican league they built a bond not like us
>>
>>68564381
That wasn't just because of not having a DP rule. The MLS has grown to the point where the rule is holding it back rather than helping it grow securely. If we could bring in players of the caliber of Jackson Martinez, Guarin, etc. in their primes the league would explode, which would be hugely beneficial to US youth development.
>>
>>68564449
What are you talking about? Yedlin made 25 appearances for Sunderland this season (23 in PL).
>>
>>68564449
Uh Yedlin plays in the fucking EPL? Are you retarded?
>>
>>68564356
US Soccer will be relevant when US Soccer gives relevant pay. You can meme any other sport and make millions more. That's it, really.
>>
>>68564449
>players who are in European 3rd division teams or don't play period ex: yedlin
>yedlin
>European 3rd division team
>doesn't play

>start looking at players on USA soil build a bond
Jesus Christ what the actual fuck are you talking about

He brings too many over-the-hill MLS shitters into his teams as it is (Wondo, Beckermann, etc)
>>
>>68564471
No it wouldn't

Too much money
>>
I 100% support keeping klins till 2020+

Keeping him around and giving him full support for a long time period will make the job extremely attractive to whoever is next in line.
>>
>>68564448
So who will pay for park fees for kid leagues? Who pays for the clothes and equipment?
>>
>>68564529
Yep, and that will only happen when MLS teams are allowed to bring in top tier players from Europe, which will dramatically increase viewership and revenue.
>>
>>68564449
best stop posting
>>
>>68564553
well it would be local clubz but that's not happening any time soon
>>
>>68564549
Wow great elaborate counterpoint
>>
Who?

What is a Copa America?
>>
>>68564568
no it wont
>>
.There are "American" cucks ITT rn that got so emotionally invested into their bullshit Fire Klinsmann arguments on Redditt that they can't even support the MNT or enjoy it when they win

Wew faggots
>>
>>68564606
Where would the initial investment come from?
>>
>>68564383
That's a gay rule for faggots that should never have been implemented

that being said, it's a new rule and should have been a warning in this game. He barely touched him for Chrissakes
>>
>>68559116

I don't really give a single fuck about soccer.

Sooooo, uh yeah. He's cool I guess.
>>
>>68564666
What are you talking about? Teams who can afford to buy high value players would buy them. MLS franchise values are on the rise too, there's a reason why people like Beckham want to be involved. If current owners can't keep up I'm sure there would be plenty of prospective owners lining up.
>>
>>68564568
Doesn't have to be. Make a higher salary cap, pay more in the lower tiers of competition. Give them something more than "muh country" to play for. This is American culture.
>>
>>68564767
You know how much China spent on those players?
It's not worth the investment
>>
>Educates the press on soccer
>Helping our youth grow into soccer
>Without him none of these German-Black guys would be on our team, including Jones and Brooks
>Passionate as hell and shows it on the bench
>Does not sniff his ass/balls finger on the bench
>Still elevating the US National team despite the weakest talent pool since 2000

What's not to like? Sure he makes some meme decisions every once and a while but that's what you have to do with this kind of talent pool.
>>
>>68564003
No, you don't get it. MLS needs to develop YOUNG AMERICAN ATTACKERS with TECHNICAL SKILL.

It's not about the structure of the league w/r/t pro/rel. It's about the league's ability to create skilled players, which is low. Add in the fact that the league restricts player movement abroad, and you run into what Klinsmann's talking about. Top talent stagnates there.

MLS teams stack the defense and defensive midfield with American players, then use all their salary space for the best South American attacking talent they can find. This hurts American development of technical players, especially attacking ones.
>>
>>68564789
That won't address the problem. Kids growing up aren't thinking "gee which sport is going to make me the most money when I try to go pro in it?", they're thinking about who their sports idols are. That's why so many unathletic white kids still play football and basketball. We can't change youth sports culture here without a strong domestic league.
>>
>>68564825
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2015/08/19/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams-2015-2/#7ca116d73ba4

>The average team is now worth $157 million, up 52% from when we last looked at the league two years ago.

Pls do some fucking research. Also, we wouldn't have to pay as much as China. Players come to the US for both lifestyle and money. It's the best place to be rich in the world. No one goes to China for lifestyle.
>>
File: jjwatt2.jpg (43 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
jjwatt2.jpg
43 KB, 600x300
>>68564878
Many American kids want to be the next Ronaldo or Messi these days though. Don't worry we will get there. Maybe more slowly than you think though.
>>
>>68559545
donovan fanboi who still likes klinn's.... it's a hard job.
>>
>>68564914
>tfw you could pretty much buy every team in MLS for what the chinks are paying for the UFC
>>
>>68564914
one of the reasons they are worth a lot is because the salary cap and franchise structure protect owners, my friend. Moreover, there's already a US league in which owners are free to spend as they please.
>>
>>68564311
Even Iceland can beat portugal
>>
>>68564938
I'm not saying it isn't already happening, but we could greatly accelerate it by taking steps to ensure that as the MLS continues to grow in value it is able to bring in better and better players. At the pace the league is growing it could easily start attracting world-class players in 2-4 years, but only if the league actually allows teams to pursue them and stops worrying about muh fucking parity
>>
He is not a brilliant coach, but he has a idea and a project he is following since he started.

I don't think him alone can change how americans play it, and the league itself is horrible, but atleast the NT is better than it was ever before, even with so many shit players
>>
>>68564861
You wouldn't bitch about la liga because they don't develop talented young Spanish attackers. You're just looking for an excuse to hate on MLS
>>
>>68564981
>>68564995

Open-market valuations for sports franchises are always way higher than closed-market valuations. See literally every NBA/NFL team sold in the last decade. I'd wager that most MLS teams would go for ~2x Forbes' listed valuation.

>>68564995
You clearly don't understand how sports teams are valued.
>>
>>68564938
Not that slowly, give it 6-7 years or so
>>
>>68565055
La liga does develop talented Spanish attackers lol wtf are you talking about?

>Who is Alcacer
>Who is Munir
>Who is Sergi Roberto
>>
>>68565074
>you clearly don't understand how sports teams are valued
i actually conduct business valuation professionally. both PE and publicly traded equity. but please explain to me how I'm wrong. I'm excited to learn from a new expert.
>>
>>68565182
>lying on the internet

I work in hedge fund analysis, guarantee I know more about asset valuation than you. Look at the most valuable sports franchises in the world and see how many of them are protected by salary caps. Literally only the American ones.
>>
>>68564878
Kids in high school want money and bitches. You do not get this from US Soccer atm. They play soccer until football is the new meme.
>>
>>68564914
>>68564938

I think the Original guy has a point though. I watch the National team every 4 years, and I'm enjoying this tournament but only learned about it the week of. I'm also watching the Euros for the first time. But without national interest for me to have someone to root for, international club soccer isn't that interesting. Hopefully the MLS will continue to grow because being 20 or 30 something then taking a casual interest in international teams isn't going to improve the National team.
>>
>>68559116
He has had his ups and downs with the national team, however I feel like the problems that arise are not his fault. Klinsmann is a good coach, he knows what is needed to make a great team he just doesn't have the talent pool that all the other countries have considering that most of our athletes go and end up playing other sports and no I'm not making the "oh but if we'd cared about soccer we'd be unstoppable" excuse......it gets old because we do care. I feel the development for the sport in the US for boys/men is lacking compared to other countries. If they could develop young players by exposing them to other leagues other than the MlelS they could have a good future ahead of them. However, the MlelS has to improve itself.
>>
>>68565143
None of those guys are developed, or good
>>
>>68565229
Kids in high school are already too late. At that age they should have already been scouted for academies and U21 National Teams
>>
>>68565055
No, you're an absolute retard. I would bitch about La Liga if they didn't produce good players who improved the team, especially if they were producing players that don't help us challenge the top nations in MLS.

I'm an Earthquakes Season ticket holder, I subscribe to MLS Live, and I'm an MLS supporter in general. But that doesn't mean that it's a perfect league, nor is it the level that is required for USMNT players.

Whatever the best league in the world is, I want US players there. If that league were MLS, that'd be where I'd want them.
>>
>>68565220
that's because they have strong global brands. Many MLS franchises currently lose money, so revenue sharing and salary caps are actually keeping them afloat until they can achieve longer term stability (hopefully).

Because global soccer isn't a centralized entity, they don't have the option to cap. If they were owned by profit-maximizing entities and had the ability to exercise a cap without losing all their talent to teams abroad, I guarantee you owners of everyone except the richest teams would vote for it. This shit should be obvious if your guarantee is worth anything.

And please explain to me why the NASL isn't worth more than the MLS. It's uncapped, competes 2 of the same comeptitions as MLS teams, features in the same markets in some cases...
>>
>>68565278
I would trade pretty much any of our prospects for one of those players. Alcacer is one of the best strikers in La Liga and Roberto was amazing for barca when called on
>>
>>68565220
oh for a fund of funds? or you mean like a third party data shop? That's pretty different from equity valuation in either case desu. You'd probably be looking more at exposure and attribution there.
>>
>>68565143
Those guys are all simply roleplayers on their teams (except Alcacer)

They have done nothing on an international level, including Alcacer. Not sure why you think they're such hot talent...
>>
>>68565279
They play soccer until highschool when someone says if you don't play football/baseball you're a faggot and you will never live in a giant house with lamborghinis. They switch sports because of this.
>>
>>68565309
>Many MLS franchises lose money.

True, but that's changing. Attendance is going up year-by-year, and stadiums are getting better and better. Once teams finish paying off their stadiums and get settled, they'll start making money.
>>
>>68565309
Holy shit you're retarded. Why do you think they have strong global brands? Because they have fucking world-class PLAYERS.

Revenue sharing is fine, but the salary cap should be raised massively. The MLS has evolved to the point where it doesn't need to be "kept afloat". It has established a significant follower base but can't convert new fans without significantly increasing the level of the product. Many soccer fans in the US don't even watch MLS because of how poor the talent level is.
>>
>>68565348
If you would trade pulisic for alcacer, you need a reality check. We actually have a world class prospect on our hands here. Enjoy it
>>
>>68565367
No, for a directional value equity fund.
>>
>>68565425
you can't guarantee that bud, and average attendance went down in 2013, so its not just linear improvement. Owners are 100% attracted to the franchise structure because it protects their investment and keeps the MLS from making the same mistake that has been made by previous failed soccer leagues in teh US. If they thought they could outgrow the restrictive MLS rules, they'd buy an NASL team, like the Cosmos tried to do. Why aren't you addressing this?
>>
>>68565391
They haven't done anything on an international level bc Spain's squad has massive depth. I guarantee you both Alcacer and Roberto would immediately start for the US.

>>68565444
I really like Pulisic but let's be realistic. Alcacer scored 13 goals this season in La Liga. Pulisic scored like 3 in Bundesliga. I think the kid is maybe the best prospect we've ever had but he's not even close to Alcacer's level right now.
>>
>>68565513
Alcacer is 22
Pulisic is 17
>>
>>68565497
>why isn't a league which doesn't have a major TV deal or broad fanbase as popular as the one that does?

Gee, you tell me.
>>
>>68565348
Get the fuck outta here
Pulisic is going to be good. 17 years old and starting for a top team in the bundesliga. Needle in a haystack in terms of US soccer.
>>
>>68565535
And? Youth prospects aren't sure things. Pls don't make me remember the Adu hype.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 662x440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 662x440
>USA have scored 7 goals
>3 goals, 3 assists
>>
>>68565451
so you're employed by a hedge fund? why'd you say you analyze hedge funds?

>>68565428
their global brands actually come from years of history, presence in the most prestigious leagues and long-term growth that have allowed them to responsibly finance having those great players.

the MLS' finances are nowhere near that level. I'm not retarded, but you might be if you think any MLS teams could rival the top 20 clubs in financial clout any time soon. Even if the MLS spent like China did, they'd still have a second rate collection of good but not great players. It'd sink the league just like the Beckenbauer Pele experiment did.
>>
>>68565551
see
>>68565513

I'm not saying I'm not excited by Pulisic. I think he's legit, but he's at least 5 years away from being close to world class, and that's IF he develops without any injuries or hiccups along the way.
>>
>>68565540
according to your logic, a big TV deal would follow shortly after bringing the talent in. there are masses waiting to be converted that don't pay the MLS any mind, shouldn't take long to get NASL on NBC or Fox.
>>
>>68565560
and? you are comparing what a 22 year old did to what a 17 year old did. Alcacer didn't even score a goal in La Liga until he was 20

I'm just saying that entire paragraph was pointless and asinine.
>>
>>68565573
>I work in hedge fund analysis
>I work in the analysis sector
>of the hedge fund industry
>you in charge of reading comprehension

The "years of history" argument is bullshit. Man City and Chelsea are the 5th and 6th highest valued teams in the world and they have zero history, just rich owners and world class players.
>>
>>68565622
you might want to go reaad about when those teams were founded and how long they've played in the PL before claiming erroneously that they have zero history. before oil pumped them to their current states they wre already way ahead of where a comparable MLS team would be. MLS teams cannot participate in the CL. MLS teams don't have age-old rivalries with Man U.
>>
>>68565598
You keep shifting the goal posts but your entire point falls flat bc of the investment threshold paradox. The NASL doesn't have the monetary capacity to bring in great players, so obviously it will never get the TV deal or fanbase. The MLS currently has those things, so it has the monetary capacity to bring in great players, and thereby further increase TV revenue and fanbase.

This really isn't a difficult concept.
>>
>>68565497
>Why aren't you addressing this?

Because I never mentioned the NASL? Because I don't give a fuck about what the NASL does? As far as I'm concerned, MLS is the most successful and stable US soccer league in history, and NASL is likely not going to catch it.

Attendance went down in 2013 literally because of Chivas USA. They averaged 2-3k per game if you take out the LAG games. DC is getting new stadium, ATL and Minnesota and Sac Republic are all joining, and if the trend of high-attended new teams continues, we'll see even more growth.
>>
>>68565622
hedge fund analysis is very different from being an analyst at a hedge fund. you could mock me for nitpicking, but not for failing to comprehend.
>>
>>68565585
You sure sound like you're doubting him to me. You could apply the "he's only 17 it'll take him 5 years etc etc" to any player/prospect.

Right now it's the best hope we have and I'd like to see him start in the semis against Argentina/Venezuela.
>>
>>68565662
goalposts didn't shift. You've yet to prove taht the MLS has the capacity to outspend top european clubs. all you've noted is that many of the teams are beginning to lose less money and that the private valuations are climbing higher.

>>68565663
I brought up NASL. because it's not capped, which is apparently holding the MLS back, though it is way ahead of NASL in valuation and investor interest.
>>
>>68565717
Ah. Gotcha. MLS needs better TV ratings IMO. Gotta get the sweet TV money to make the big bucks.
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.