[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't CONCACAF and CONMEBOL just merge together? There
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 8
File: CONMEBOL-CONCACAF-Logo.png (1 MB, 1496x1061) Image search: [Google]
CONMEBOL-CONCACAF-Logo.png
1 MB, 1496x1061
Why doesn't CONCACAF and CONMEBOL just merge together? There are only 10 teams in CONMEBOL so they end up having to invite teams from CONCACAF to make up 12 teams for the Copa America (they actually have more than 12 teams in South America, but Guyana, French Guiana and Suriname are a part of CONCACAF and the Falklands team isn't recognised by FIFA because of Argie butthurt). CONCACAF is already split into the North American, Central American and Caribbean unions, why don't they just add a South American union to that?

As it stands, the Gold Cup is just mexicowinslol and the Copa America is seen as a meme trophy. If they merged the two then maybe it will be a bit more prestigious (like the Euros).
>>
Lol and risk not going to the world cup?
>>
>>68411815
what? there would be the same amount of invites
>>
>>68411815
Obviously since the two would be merged, the world cup places would also be added together, so you'd still have 8 or 9 teams going from the Americas. I'd think it would be good in the long term as well, CONCACAF countries would be stronger if they had to regularly compete against the likes of Brazil and Argentina.
>>
because it's stupid, CONCACAF teams are all total shit except Mexico and Costa Rica, making south americans play haiti, panama and jamaica regularly will just bring the standards down even more.
>>
>>68412078
UEFA has countries like France, Germany and England competing against the San Marino, Faroe Islands and Netherlands. It's still the most prestigious confederation.
>>
>>68411739
The distance for trips are just too big for this to be viable.
>Between moscow and lisbon
Kilometres:3902.97
>Between buenos aires and ontario
Kilometres:8945.26
Also, if i'm not mistaken the federations have some sort of vote in fifa, less federations would mean less votes and would mean a hard time negotiating the bribes as you have more interests to please.
>>
>>68412216
So we should copy the bad and utterly ridiculous things about UEFA?
>>
>>68412216

> And Netherlands

Nice one old chap
>>
>>68412568
If it means that people take the competition more seriously, like the Euros, then yes. If I'm correct, the Gold cup is structured so that each union has a certain amount of players that make it to the finals (4 from the Caribbean, 5 from Central America, USA, Mexico and Canada qualify automatically). The different unions don't actually play each other until the finals. Maybe it could be restructured so that there are 7 South American teams, 3 from North America, 3 from the Caribbean and 3 from Central America.
>>
>>68411739
The distances are far too great, and the football cultures are not the same. Brazil does not want to do deal with central american legbreaking teams.
>>
>>68413001
We'll take the competition even less serious.

And I don't even want it to be taken seriously anyway. Any NT thing not world cup-related should be just practice for the world cup, not an end in itself.
>>
>>68412216
Faroe Islands would absolutely hammer the likes of Haiti and Canada
>>
>>68413498
>Faroese would hammer players from Ekstraklasa
sounds about right t b h
>>
>>68411739
No, thank you
>>
>>68411977
>>68412077
Still too risky
I'm not sure we would always be a top 8 team
>>
that's what we all want except Mexicucks who are too scared and make excuses about "the bussiness"...
>>
>Concacaf
But then mexico would never qualify for world cup, who are they going to bully??
>>
>>68418134

The U.S. of A.
>>
>>68417612
It's not just the Mexican federation. All the shit tier Carribean nations (and there are like 20 of them) depend on Concacrap money and would veto any move to merge with Conmebol. The only thing we could agree on is a joint tournament every 4 years but no complete federation merger
>>
Whats the point of having concacaf teams play against conmebol, how is haiti vs any conmebol team watchable.
>>
We're not going to improve just playing against south american spics. The whole issue with our development is resources and youth development. If we can't produce better players, nothing is going to change.
>>
Thats only viable if mexico goes to conmebol, not only do they bring in the money but both them and southamericans would benefit from having a new worthy contender competing with an extra WC spot.

Concacaf is where its at because of mexico, both in money terms and sport success, when mexico wins something internationally we just ride off them and they increase our prestige as a footballing confederation. Also the beaners are passionate about this stuff, they spend like crazy so business is good.

If mexico leaves we are pretty much going to be Oceania tier.
Thats why they never will, every concacaf team wont let them
>>
Nah, but Centenario it's the first step for a mixed continental cup.
>>
>>68418229
This is perfectly feasable.

>>68418354
It's fun because there's always the chance of Haiti winning. Look at what happened with Peru-Brazil. In futbol, anything can happen.
>>
>>68411739
>As it stands, the Gold Cup is just mexicowinslol
>>
>>68418639
If México joins conmebal they will be just another team. At concacaf they are kings. Why would they even think about leaving?
>>
>>68418797
>at concacaf they are kings

Kings in terms of corruption and money maybe. Last year they needed heavy refball just to beat Panameme and Costa Rica
>>
>>68418797
Only argentina and maybe colombia would be able to defeat mexico on a normal day.
Didnt they beat you like 2 weeks ago while playing all defenders and midfielders?
>>
>>68418568
> be usa
> cant compete in futbol
> have to make their own sports and play locally
> still talk like they know anything about joga bonito
> why are we so retarded??
>>
>>68411739
They should make a Copa America every four years including 10 conmebol teams + 6 concacaf teams. It's a lot better than inviting two teams. Mexico played with their subs at last year's Copa America.
>>
>>68418902
>butthurt american
No matter how much you scream refball they still are the most succesful team of the region, consistenly beat you in all competitions, coming off a gold cup and confederations cup while you got knocked out, at home, by jamaica

Instead of talking shit you should take a look at what theyve done right, theyve won 2 u17 world cups and have players for about a decade plus.
>>
>>68418954
>be Chicano

>have to shitpost to vent about the pent up anger before going to build the wall.

Dos a cero my subhuman taco friend
>>
>>68419046
>youth world cups

Who fucking cares. Last years u20, they couldnt get out of the group stage and it's always some meme African nation with 30 year old Nigerians who win

>mentioning the obvious refball they had like red cards and ghost penalties is talking shit

I didnt know the spics were this far up north in Canada
>>
>>68418229
>>68418686
>>68418668
This please. Gold Cup fucking sucks.
>>
>>68419175
>hurr spics niggers refball

This coming from a team with half of the starters being mexicans

No wonder youve won nothing in like almost a decade lol.
>>
>>68419362
Yeah except the 2013 Gold cup you dumb fucking retarded >Leaf. Meanwhile you are brazil'd + 1 by shit tier teams like Honduras
>>
>>68419362
This.
USA is a disgrace. The team would be even more shittier without the tacos. Build the wall, deport half the NT. kek.
>>
>>68411739
problem is concacaf has like those preliminary stages where the tiny caribbean nations and canada play, i don't think that CONMEBOL nations would like their league format (which is by far the simplest and better of all confederations) changed.

also i feel NTs like mexico would be against it, since mexico is one of the biggest footy markets and they couldn't afford not going to a WC. a lot of money would be lost. Same with USA, although I could see Klinsmann advocating for it as a way to keep getting experience.

what I would like is for the OFC to get a full 1 spot for the WC, so we can always have all the confederations represented.

also britman, you should know that Copa América is way older than the Euro, with the same level of prestige.
>>
>>68419534
>1 spic in the current 23 squad right now. 2 if you count Bedoya

Build el wallo, amigo
>>
>>68418917
Last minute goal when we were playing with our bench, literally. Before that the coach was "experimenting" and even like that Mexico couldn't score.

I'm not defending our shitty nt, but If you are going to shitpost at least know your facts. Mexico is a meme only supported by concacaf. Fucking Haiti qualified within concacaf.
>>
10 gold cups, 1 confederation cup, 2 sub17 world cups and a gold medal, stop talking shit, we are not the best team, but we can play well against everyone.
>>
>>68420761
>10 gold cups, 1 confederation cup
Both irrelevant.
>>
>>68421364
Confederation Cup is more important than Copa america, it's about to beat the best teams of every confederation.
>>
some of you guys are alright, but the majority of CONCACAF is shit
>>
>>68421786
No, confederation cup is an aftertought, copa america actually gets publicity.

Not that mexico is shit, you'd probably clasify 8 out of 10 times were the confederations to merge, but don't pat your stats with meaningless competitions.
>>
>>68418917
>Only argentina and maybe colombia would be able to defeat mexico on a normal day.

Dude just fuck off

Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Chile and Uruguay would all regularly wreck Mexico if they joined.
Mexico beating Suarez-less Uruguay at home in this tournament doesn't change the fact that Mexico has a history of being just awful
>>
>>68422873
I know youre jealous but Canada is right, Argentina and maybe Colombia are the only two who could beat Mexico on a regular basis, the rest are below or at Mexico's level.
>>
>>68423233
>Mexican delusions
>>
>>68423233
Counting today's brazil and uruguay as the norm is retarded, don't pretend you are near top 3 because you lucked out playing local against a weakened uruguay.

You are probably matching chile.
>>
>>68423233
You know your going to get Chavez'd today right?
>>
>>68423233
Nah mexico is at par with Venezuela nothing more.

Colombia or Ecuador would wreck mexico every 9/10.

World cup has showed South America on par of Europ. Mexico wouldn't stand a chance on either continent.
>>
>>68423597
>Ecuador
Nah.
>>
File: IT HURTS TO LIVE.jpg (34 KB, 680x440) Image search: [Google]
IT HURTS TO LIVE.jpg
34 KB, 680x440
>>68412216
H-haha great one l-lad
>>
>>68423233
>brazil
>at or below mexico's level

You could win the next 4 world cups in a row, and you still wouldn't be at their level.
Just because Brazil isn't that great currently, doesn't mean you can erase history

Also, Neymar didn't play, Douglas Costa didn't play, Thiago Silva didn't play. They didn't even have their 3 best players lmao
>>
Mexico can't even win a Libertadores and they think they're on par with the south american countries, ayyy
>>
>>68423618
They are first on the qualifiers if I am not mistaking.

I think they are superior to mexico, even if they don't have big names.

Exepting Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela they all are superior teams. The two last being on par with mexico.
>>
Cant reply to everyone because on mobile, but its okay if people think otherwise, itll always be like that for Mexico.
>Mexico does well, dont get used to it
>South American teams consistently play like trash, w-we didnt care to begin with!!

What I said is true, only two teams could really beat Mexico consistently if they merged both sides.
>>
>>68423889
>Only 2 teams

Only like half of Conmebol.
>>
>>68423889
When did Mexico do well outside of Concacaf? You can't even beat USA regularly for fuck's sake.
>>
>>68423797
Ecuador is on a high right now, what matter is the long term success, if mexico were to join, now they'd do great, but in a ten year period they would realize just how a bit above average they are.

I suspect their inflated egos wouldn't be able to take that hit after years of bullying island NTs, case in point >>68423889
If i were to make a ranking, it'd probably be

Argentina-brazil>uruguay-colombia>chile-mexico-paraguay>ecuador>peru>bolivia>venezuela
>>
>>68423889
South Americans are chronic excuse makers, though
>>
>>68423889
>What I said is true, only two teams could really beat Mexico consistently if they merged both sides.

Brazil, even with one of it's worst generations in a long time, would still regularly bitch slap you

Hell, the worse Brazil I've ever seen, which was the 2014 Brazil, was fucking owning you in the WC. If it wasn't for Ochoa having the game of his life you woulda been 4-0'd

You merge the confederations and Mexico would definitely be behind Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay (even with their small ass population kek), Colombia, and Chile. You'd be around the same level as Paraguay and USA
>>
>>68411977
>>68412077
Come on, it's too risky for burgerland. Concacaf is merely a procedure to get to the WC, with Conmebol teams they would have to fight hard to qualify.

And it would effectively mean that all other small countries from Concacaf will never get a chance at the WC since their level is even worse than Bolivia.

Merging only benefits Conmebol teams and the higher ranks officials wallets
>>
>>68424203
Like I said, Mexico doing well will always be seen as a short phase.

>Mexico wins Gold at the olympics against Brazil
>i-it doesnt count!! Brazil didnt try!!

>Mexico ties with Brazil, mostly even with Brazil player slightly better
>PROOF MEXICO SUCKS!!!

Also you saying Mexico is at USA's level is hilarious.
>>
>>68424715
>Olympics

Stopped reading there.

Build wall, retard
>>
>>68424044
We're doing not-so-bad since 2007. I don't think Bolivia is above us (outside La Paz).
>>
>>68424801
Its the most recent time ome beat the other in a tournament, is it not? Theres no excuses there. Both tried for a medal neither had. Not saying its a big deal, but you cant make a single fucking excuse about the outcome of the game.
>>
>>68424855
And that's why i put you before bolivia and peru

La paz is almost a joke.
>>
>>68424801
Build a wall yourself, we living in Mexico, so we don't want to live in your shitty country. :^)
>>
>>68425015
Nah bro, he is from Venezuela, not Ecuador. You put them last hehe
>>
>>68424044
>Argentina-brazil>uruguay-colombia-chile-mexico>paraguay>ecuador>venezuela>peru>bolivia
>>
>>68419320
Fucking esto. Just the same teams we face in the hex, and ones that aren't good enough to make it, over and over. Boring af
>>
>>68424044
Venezuela is objectively better than Bolivia, Perhaps even Peru. Besides that your rating is realistic enough.

I still think mexico would suffer even to archive that position tho.
>>
>>68425248
>>68425203
ooooh venezuela, sorry.
Well, i'm taking into account that you probably won't have much of a country in the near future.

No offense.
>>
>>68425203
Chile is a good team, I think that Mexico vs Chile will be a funny match.
>>
>>68413001
Having a cup full of caribbean a central americans teams is far from serius. Of course there are exceptions, like Costa Rica. But look at Haiti and Panama. If you didn't know, they actually are better than a LOT of other countries from the region. I prefer Copa America as it is, with 12 average/strong teams. Wouldn't mind to copy this format (16 teams) for others copa america.
>>
>>68424855
The past few years u werent as hyped as 2007. Hope you do make a decent comeback. You beat us fair, senpai.
>>
>>68425321

Yeah i get your point, but Venezuela current team is full of youth. Al tough there is no chance for us in the next world cup, this will still be important years for our team.

Mind you i am not in delusion, i know we are far from being a competitive team in south America, but we could become decent in the next five years.
>>
>>68418134
Mexico is better than.most conmebol nations, you're overrating the sudacas they're not that good
>>
>>68430058
pls

Mexico competes in CONCACAF, that's why you think you are big shit.
>>
>all these Mexicans and their hilarious overrating of their average team

And you yurofags think >we or brits are bad when it comes to hype
>>
>>68430228
Aergentina and Brazil are the only teams that could be considered elite. After them comes teams like Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, teams that on any normal day we usually beat or tie agaisnt, in fact we have a positive win/lose ratio against all of you.
>>
>>68430668
Brazil is a good team?
>>
>>68416996
with 8 spots, the "regulars" that would usually in play for the WCQ are Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Chile, Mexico, USA, and Costa Rica. that's 8 right there. in order to fall out of the top 8, we'd need to lose to a few from the likes of el salvador, guatemala, honduras, nicaragua, panama, cuba, jamaica, the dominican republic, trinidad and tobago, venezuela, peru, bolivia, or bolivia.

if we can't put together a better performace than all of those teams, we really don't deserve to go in the first place. the 8 that would make it through are the same ones as we'd expect.
>>
>>68431187
I'm not sure if Ecuador is below Costa Rica/USA tier. Keep in mind you'll have to play at least once in a stadium that is almost twice the altitude above sea than Denver
>>
>>68432051
sure, but some of the bottom half teams from the top 8 will drop at least a couple points here or there too, we can afford one bad game. three or four though, against lower teams? if that happens and one of those teams would get our spot, then we deserve it.

so really, having 8 spots between the two of us would still work out okay, since the same teams would be going anyways more or less. the argument for not merging the two confederations would have to lie elsewhere.
>>
>>68425321
Really, mr default-man? We won't have a country? How about you pay debts, and finish up jailing your (now ex) president.
>>
>>68432666
We already finished paying the debnts and the only reason she isn't in jail yet is because she's useful for dividing peronism.
Stay mad.
>>
>>68429619
No chance for what? Making the knockout stages is still the bar for success unless you're in an easy group. Not many teams can do that consistently.

In 5 years we'll be even better as out Euro-trained youth start to come of age, but we thankfully will be onto a new coach by then. Which is not to say I hate JK, I'm ambivalent about him, but I think we need fresh eyes to help us move on from Jones/Dempsey and the other vets.

We had our one SHIT year (2015), but I think we'll ramp up and improve from now till Russia and end up being pretty good.
>>
>>68432723

Didn't Chavez payed your debts? . Not saying that Venezuela is any better. But comparing regular shit to diarrhea its hardly a compliment.
>>
>>68432901
>Didn't Chavez payed your debts?
What? You are thinking about shitty caribean nations.
>>
>>68432861
who do you see replacing the role Dempsey plays next, since 2018 will be his last world cup as a starter?

I'm not so sure yet about this Wood guy, even though he's obviously got potential.
>>
>>68432723
Well, you're right, I didn't know that. That was like 4 months ago, I wonder why I never heard anything about the settlement. Point still stands, even though the US had 2 populist candidates and there's lots of mud-slinging around, everyone always says we're fucked, and in the end the eventual president is mediocre, just like the last guy. Some good, some bad, and America keeps on going.
>>
can you guys stop it with the "the distance is too much!" meme?

Australia travels just as much I would assume for their games in the AFC.

at least CONMEBOL should invite USA and Mexico to join, that way they have 12 teams and the rest of the shitters remaining in CONCACAF just make Canada wish they were good enough to join CONMEBOL.
>>
>>68432861

Yes i think so as well, but i find it extremely hard for Venezuela to recover in the qualifiers to Russia. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

Dreaming is free tho, i would cry the day i see Venezuela in a world cup
>>
>>68433094
I was talking about venezuela you selfcenterd retard.

Trump is going to win though, he's a by the number populist and you keep playing into his hands because you've 0 experience with them, and believe me, you've always had decent presidents, you'll find out the hells of real populism.
>>
>>68432976
Well, Wood. Or if Altidore finds his form. I know, he's hated, but when he's on, he's on. He scored the most consecutive goals for us in 2013, our best calendar year.

It's true, we don't have an obvious replacement for CD outside of Wood, but we could experiment with different formations instead. Perhaps put BW or Zardes (where he prefers to play, Zardes is NOT a winger) up top, with Morris/Pulisic on the wings.
>>
>>68433257
Oh, oops, didn't catch that. I got fooled by the flag. It's not a dick, don't take it so hard. Yeesh.
>>68433254
Sorry senpai, good luck, I kinda misread your post.
>>
>>68413001
doesnt north america only have 3 countries anyway?
>>
>>68412484
Astana is the easternmost UEFA capital m8
>>
>>68433258
Wood and Zardes both looked a bit retarded in the Paraguay match, Zardes has zero of the winger mentality and just tried to go 2speed4u. he got lucky on that cross that led to the goal, since he had 2 defenders marking him out wide but they let him run out to the line to get the cross in. other than that he was constantly killing our attacks. on the other hand, Wood was double-marked for practically the entire game but he kept trying to take them on every time instead of redistributing it. that kind of awareness doesn't sound promising when we need to have our next guy up ready for when demsey is done.

but yeah if you have zardes or altidore in front of goal and wood behind them, I think that would work well for what pieces we have, I just don't like how MUCH we're experimenting right now. there's too many guys being played out of position or alongside guys they're not used to working with, and their discomfort is obvious. if klinnsman can't get some stability in there soon, having the right pieces won't matter that much.

in any case, I haven't been paying too much attention to our youth teams and prospective recruits yet. it could still work out long-term I just can't see it yet from what's been going on lately.
>>
>>68419018
i have better because the bottom of those 6 concacaf are not THAT good: Make it 3 concacaf, 1 europe (maybe not germany I dont want them to win :P), 1africa, 1 asia, a mini world cup for us to have fun
>>
>>68411815
Proof Mexico is scared shitless of not qualifying for the WC if they had to endure SA qualifiers
They needed US help the last time to qualify
>>
>>68433594
>i have better because the bottom of those 6 concacaf are not THAT good
our best options for 4-6 are at least good enough to hang in there with the bottom of CONMEBOL. haiti is not among them, it was a mistake for them to come but they passed through the qualifiers.
>>
>>68432723
En serio ya pagaron? Era un kilo de plata
>>
>>68433433
>>68412484
Wouldn't it be Astana to Reyjjavik then which is 5205 km?

Also east-west travel is harder on a human than north-west due to time zones. I'd much rather travel 7000 km south from here than 5500 km west.
>>
>>68432861
This. We have PulisGOD, Carter Vickers, Wood, Brooks, Yedlin who has inproved and other u23 kids like Hyndman, Zelalem, Rubin etc all in Europe. People dont realize it yet but our team has the potential to be within the top 10 if all those players Ive mentioned become starters at midtable or top clubs. It's just a matter of time and patience.
>>
>>68411739
Why doesn't MY DICK and YOUR MOUNTH just merge together? You faggot
>>
>>68433795
We took a loan to pay that loan.
>>
>>68432969
>Caribean nations

http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/1617

>Caracas, Venezuela, February 14, 2006—Last week, in a move that appears to reinforce Venezuela’s commitment to economic regional integration, the Ministry of Economy Argentina authorized the sale of over $308 million in bonds coming due in 2012 to Venezuela, reported Argentine daily El Clarin.

>This is Venezuela’s third purchase of Argentine bonds since Argentine President Nestor Kirchner told the paper that Venezuela was to buy $2.4 billion of Argentine debt in the coming months to help the country pay back debt early to the International Monetary Fund. Since the announcement, Venezuela has bought almost $1.1 billion in Argentine debt. Later, according to Dow Jones, an unnamed high-ranking Argentine Economy Ministry official said that his government intended to sell $2 to $3 billion in new debt to Venezuela in 2006 if necessary.
>>
>>68433578
We're actually NOT experimenting. This is the first time since the 1930 WC that the US has run the EXACT SAME lineup out 3 times in a row! And it's the first time JK's run out the same starting lineup in his tenure.

Zardes isn't a winger, like I said, and yet he played a nice ball to CD for the GWG and does lots of defensive work. So for a player not being played to his strengths, I will take that all damn day.

Wood's double-marked, which is okay because that means he's taking people out of the game immediately, and I disagree partly with your sentiment on his play. BW did well holding the ball up. Even when we went down to 10 men he was able to get the ball out to Jones and Zusi and start attacks. W/R/T taking people on, I don't mind it, because he's on stellar form, and CD's best attribute is that he "tries shit". That's the kind of guy we need in CD's role. A selfish goalscorer who runs at players. CD can't run anymore, so he mostly flops, but BW is young and faster than CD was at any point in his career.

With Pulisic and Jordan Morris (Ethan Finlay perhaps?) running off him, I'm sure he'll be able to pass out to those guys. Part of CD's problem right now is that sometimes the support comes a little late/not at all, and he's flopping all the time, so we're not as good at holdup play as we maybe should be.
>>
>>68433363
So the weird thing is, that for some weird geopolitical reason, Trinidad and Tobago is considered part of North America. I wouldn't be surprised if some other oddball countries got included as well.
>>
>>68433918
>has the potential to be within the top 10
talent doesn't equate to results though. I mean, we've had worse teams on paper than England for the past couple decades, but we've done as good or better than them in 3 of the past 4 world cups because they've squandered their talent.
>>
>>68434029
Yeah but we're different than Englel. We've always had inferior squads talent wise yet we always punch above our weight and do well. And we will perform better when the younger generation finish developing within a wc cycle.
>>
>>68434008
I wouldn't have minded wood's insistence on taking on the double marking, except that he kept getting the ball taken away 9 times out of 10 and still did it anyways. if he actually held the ball up to bring his teammates into play in those situations, it would've been a lot more reassuring. now, if he could take those guys on and BEAT them, then there's no objection. he kept getting shut down hard though. in any case, I think he'd fit much better in the middle of the field than on the wings, so that he'd have more options to receive or give passes. sticking him out wide seemed to be stifling our best prospective talent.
>>
>>68433995
That was 10 years ago, and buying debt isn't paying debt,
>>
File: jagsfan.png (16 KB, 431x489) Image search: [Google]
jagsfan.png
16 KB, 431x489
>>68420122
Q:
>Didnt they beat you like 2 weeks ago while playing all defenders and midfielders?
A:
>Last minute goal when we were playing with our bench, literally. Before that the coach was "experimenting"

So in other words, it was equal because both teams were using highly unconventional lineups.

Don't get me wrong, Chile plays really fucking well at tournaments but what you're saying is that they are the equal of Mexico.
>>
>>68434026
don't forget that french guiana, guyana, and suriname are CONCACAF members as well. almost as weird as israel and kazakhstan being in UEFA.
>>
>>68434026
oh, kek
>>
>>68411815
>>68424661

This. There's no guarantee that we or the burritos would be top 8 in CONMEBOL on a regular basis. Mexico needed us to save their asses just to qualify for the 2014 WC.
>>
>>68434304
like I said earlier, the teams that would make it in would be the same as it is now. if we were to lose to several of the teams below that margin (the el salvadors and venezuelas out there), we wouldn't deserve to make it in anyways.

after all, they award WC spots by earning your way in, not your ranking. it's not like the top 13 ranked UEFA teams always get all 13 of their spots either. merging conmebol and concacaf wouldn't mean a severe change in our world cup entrants, because the top of our confederation can still hang with them.
>>
File: ToughCentralAmerica.png (62 KB, 966x400) Image search: [Google]
ToughCentralAmerica.png
62 KB, 966x400
OK so no bullshit.

Top Tier:
Brazil, Argentina
Next Tier:
Uruguay, Colombia, Chile (just barely in this tier)
Third Tier:
Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela
Shit Tier:
Bolivia, Paraguay

In my mind, Mexico is about the same as Chile if they were to fit in those rankings. You might make a new category for Chile and Mexico.

So Mexico definitely would be fine in CONMEBOL. They are an average to slightly above average team. Would threaten to make the WC most times.
>>
>>68412078

>except Mexico and Costa Rica
>US won its group
>Brazil eliminated

This meme about the US team being comparable to Honduras or something is silly.
>>
>>68434409
>Brazil that high
>Peru that low

The rest seems accurate.
>>
>>68434409
mexico has competitively done well against all of those teams except brazil and argentina, so they'd be solidly in the "Next Tier" as it stands. if anything, it's the USA that would be chile-tier, because we'd be a half-step below uruguay and colombia in most years but still above the third tier. costa rica would be in the third tier though, with panama and honduras being deserving of the fourth tier based on the past few major competitions. the next tier after that would be jamaica, trinidad, and maybe cuba.
>>
>>68434513
>Yes, you, too saw the game last night.

>>68434577
Thanks for the additional info but I'm going to have to say USA goes in the Third Tier at best. They are more like Peru and Ecuador than Uruguay and Chile. C'mon man.

maybe in ten years we're talking something different but USA would struggle to even stay in the Third Tier
>>
>>68434648
I was saying that the USA would be in the gap between the second and third tiers. that is, unless you're judging us by 2015 alone, which it sounds like from the comment "USA would struggle to even stay in the Third Tier" since that's the only way that statement would possibly be true.
>>
>>68433602
>Mexico
Fucking FIFA just wants our and chicano money.
>>
>>68434771
Usa is very unbalanced, you have the athletic skills of a top tier country but your dribble skills are pretty dismal, depending on who you face you could be almost tier two or struggle to be in tier three.
>>
>>68434026
It's actually not weird for T&T. They're culturally a Caribbean nation, and a former British colony like Jamaica and others in the region. So, they are part of the CFU (Caribbean Football Union), which is part of CONCACAF.

People forget, it's not "everyone is considered North American", it's 3 regions (North America, Central America, and the Caribbean) combined into one.
>>
>>68434172
Well yeah, he'd be great in the middle, which is why he's a good replacement for Dempsey!

I feel CD does that same shit all the time, but perhaps I just notice it more/you notice it less.

I mean, we're nitpicking here. BW and CD both start again against Ecuador, and we ground out a win vs. Paraguay after being down a man. Let's take it one game at a time.
>>
>>68435065
being in a similar best position does not imply that he's got the performance level to live up to that level though. that'd be like saying that anyone we have is "the next donovan" just because they're the starter that occupies the same region of the field.

my problem with dempsey is his proneness to going full ape. being physical is fine, but he loses his cool too easily. or at least he used to, but the past couple years it seems like he's starting to calm down a bit.

>I mean, we're nitpicking here. BW and CD both start again against Ecuador, and we ground out a win
and therein lies the point I was trying to make earlier. having some talent is well and good, but it needs to be played in the right place and consistently. it feels like we're not getting both of those, only maybe one at a time.
>>
>>68434915
Which is why we keep advancing in WC's (very few teams have advanced in 3 of the last 4 WC's), while nice-looking teams (e.g Italy, France, Englel, etc.) keep failing, right?

I get it, no ball control. But we have ENOUGH to do decently, as we just proved yet again in this competition.

Did well vs. Colombia, but yeah, the number 3 ranked side in the world is better than us. Buttraped a slick, ball-control CR. Ground out a win vs. thuggish (but Paraguay played Colombia tough) Paraguay.

Gap between 2nd and 3rd tier is perhaps underrating us slightly, and certainly not overrating.
>>
>>68434944
>People forget, it's not "everyone is considered North American", it's 3 regions (North America, Central America, and the Caribbean) combined into one.
they even have different sub-organizations for those zones, the NAFU, UNCAF, and CFU. it's not just one big smorgasbord.
>>
>>68434407
>the teams that would make it in would be the same as it is now
That's just an assumption. There's no benefit to merging them and only adds risks to America not making it to the WC.
>>
>>68434225

>Implying Argentina wasn't one of the cancers that killed Venezuela

You were just vultures eating their brothers. No different to Bolivia or Cuba.
>>
>>68435202
To be fair, you lucked out a lot in the WC classifications, i know we've lucked out too
I'm not saying you'd deserve third rate, but USA NTs have issues with things most teams of their category have no issue with, it reminds me a lot of african teams.
>>
>>68435192
....Except we seemingly agreed that CD and BW both "try stuff", both are selfish around the box, and both hold up the ball well. And that Wood needs to be played centrally.

Explain why he's not a fit for CD's role again? You know his "assist" to JJ was him losing the ball in 3v1, right? It's not like CD's passing is exceptional, or that he's not selfish around the box.
>>
>>68435257
>There's no benefit to merging them
how do you figure
>>
>>68435249
CFU is literally a corrupt shithole. They all get 1 vote, so 40 shit islands get to hold the rest of the region hostage.
>>
>>68435261
>their brothers
Our only brothers in this shithole of a continent are uruguay, don't mix us in the patria grande bullshit, we have our own separate culture and population
>>
>>68435330
To be honest, you all should just ditch that shit confederation, murrika and mexico can simply resing from concacaf and join conmebol and there's nothing they could do.
>>
>>68435257

>There's no benefit to merging them

It would make the World Cup more competitive tbqh senpai.

And mexico would be the most meme team of all every time they dont make the cut, which could happen easily.
>>
>>68435292
I don't think he's nearly at CD's level of what you calling "trying stuff" yet, and he's markedly worse at holding up the ball. he has more speed, but it seems like he has less vision/awareness to balance it. they're similar styles sure, but I don't know if he will bloom into someone that can be "the guy". sure it could happen with how young he is, but it seems foolish to put all our eggs in one basket, which is why I was hoping for suggestions besides just him. he's already an obvious candidate, it's just a matter of seeing how he pans out.
>>
>>68435365
we might have to bring canada too. yeah they'd be everyone's punching bag, but at least they're better in women's tournaments.
>>
>>68435422
Only if they front the travel costs
>women sports
Yeah, no one cares about those here.
>>
>>68435283
Lucked out? Nigga what? GOD in 2014. Topped Englel in 2010. Had great 2002 run after holding on against Portugal, and if FRINGS HANDBALL IS CALLED, we go through. We fucking DOMINATED Germany in '02, while they scored on a set piece! Role-reversal, lol!

>Reminds of African teams
But without the record of failure, which is the entire fucking point... African teams absolutely blow, and are all athleticism and pacy, overpriced, fuccbois.

We've got less athleticism, but more control than them, like a middle-ground.

Japan has great control. They are also terrible, and terrible in tourneys. See where I'm gong here?

Once is luck. Consistent "over-achievement" means maybe we're not over-achieving.
>>
File: 1465340270197.gif (476 KB, 188x174) Image search: [Google]
1465340270197.gif
476 KB, 188x174
>>68435336

>This delusion
>From an Argentinean

POETRY
>>
>>68435453
Have you even heard us talk? We have italian accents.
>>
>>68435522
>Have you even heard us talk?

Yeah you guys sound Peruvian senpai
>>
>>68435390
All I was trying to get at is, BW, when CD was playing for Furman (lil' Southern private school, he didn't turn pro till after College) scored the most goals by a US player in Germany, and earned a move to the Bundesliga. He's 23, and has lots of room to improve. There are worse players to pin your hopes on.

Especially when it's ONE, specific, role. We've got talent coming up at every single other position. So if BW flames out, and we don't have a CD, we'll change so that we won't NEED one.
>>
>>68435596
>So if BW flames out, and we don't have a CD, we'll change so that we won't NEED one.
I really really hope you're right, because it would be the sensible thing to do.
>>
>>68435719
We don't have Landon, and we're doing OK.
>>
File: conmebol vs mexico.png (48 KB, 1892x623) Image search: [Google]
conmebol vs mexico.png
48 KB, 1892x623
>muh mexico sucks meme
>mexican teams have been constantly refballed in copa memerica
>still do better than almost every team
Just fucking google Bolivia - Mexico Copa America 1997. It was a fucking disgrace. Or any Libertadores mexican team. They almost always go out to refball.
>>
>>68435819
and his absence was felt in the WC. still, there's a difference between necessary tactical adjustments because you're in a generational shift, and necessary tactical adjustments because you suddenly don't have the talent to fit the roles you need anymore.

so both comparisons have elements of both, but the donovan situation was more of the former than the latter.
>>
>>68435830
What does this graphic represent, all Mexico results vs CONMEBOL teams?
>>
>>68435961
LD had 1000x greater impact on the NT than CD. Scored more goals, more crucial goals, and assisted more than he scored. He literally carried us for over a decade (2002-2013).

Clint is not only not as hard to replace, even when we replaced LD (early, he was worth a super sub at least), we still did OK. Not great, but good for replacing the best US soccer player ever (only talking raw impact on USMNT, not talking about talent/club stuff).

Literally not even worried one bit. If it's not BW, it's Altidore. And if it's not him, it's Rubin, or Agudelo, or Sapong, or Amerikwa, or any number of other holdup strikers. Perhaps someone who we haven't even seen yet.
>>
>>68435830
>When Mexico loose is always because of refball

Also, last year Copa Libertadores, Tigres could win at the first game of the final. River played awfull there. Tigres got clear 3 o 4 chances of goal, and choke. But after being raped 3-0 with justice, the mexican tv media was saying "River played dirty and murderball, we should have won"
Please stop this
>>
>>68436224
that's all fine and well (gonna look up more about those other names though) but I'm worried not so much about the potential, but the likelihood of developing it. the criticisms of our youth system are (mostly) justified, and if we truly have ambitions to improve our national side then we can't keep sticking to the same problems that keep giving us the same level of players. donovan was more like a lucky fluke rather than a proof of concept that we're doing things right.

so yeah, we CAN find talent, but can we actually USE it? that's the big long-term question for me, and the doubts won't go away.
>>
>>68412216
Kek
>>
>>68436032
although to be fair I expect a few of those being mexico b or c teams
>>
EASY COMPROMISE

Merge the two into CONMEBOL, but only the north and central american countries. That's 10 between them, and there are 10 in CONMEBOL. The Caribbean can fuck off, their organization is fags and their teams are all retarded. The bottom half of the new 20-team organization would still be more former-CONCACAF, but they'd get better by not having to play useless Caribbean fucks. It would stretch all the way from the top of North America to the bottom of South America contiguously, with all the nations bordering each other. Island monkeys can go fight over bananas.
>>
>>68430848
No
>>
>>68435830
W 25
D 15
L 26

37,87% W
>B-BUT WE DON'T SUCK
>B-BUT WE ARE ALWAYS REFBALLED, EVEN IN WC R-RIGHT? N-NO ERA NO?

DA WHITE MAN IN CONMEBOL IS KEEPING US DOWN.
>>
>>68435830
Era penal, Juan.
>>
>>68431187
>Costa Rica
Stop the meme,in a merge we wouldn't even know whats a WC.

>>68432051
USA>Ecuador>>CR
>>
>>68436297
You're whinging about ONE position.

JAB at CB, Miazga, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Erik Palmer-Brown, Justen Glad, and many others waiting in the wings.

At RB, we've got Yedlin, but Desevio Payne, Brandon Vincent waiting in the wings. Plus Olusunde at ManU.

At LB we have fabJ, but Villafana starts on the top LigaMX team, and desu we're pretty short there.

At GK, we have Freiburg's Zach Steffen, and Molde's Ethan Horvath, plus Hamid and others.

In the midfield, we have Trapp, Nagbe, Morales, Williams, Christian Roldan, Kellyn Acosta, Alex Zendejas, Joshua Perez, Mukwelle Akale, etc.

On the wings, we have Pulisic, Finlay, Manneh (eligible in a few months), as well as promising youth like Andrew Carleton and Timothy Weah.

And, forgot to mention another person who could play CD's role: Dom Dwyer is about to become US eligible.

We're about to be more talented than ever, enjoy the ride and stop worrying. Worry if results tank, or JK doesn't integrate anyone new, not before.
>>
>>68411739
>Copa America is seen as a meme trophy
damn britbongs are truly retarded
this special snowflake Copa America Centenario is the meme one, the regular Copa America is the oldest competition between NTs and is an actual and serious competition

and on your topic, if both confederation gets merged then Mexico will struggle to qualify into WC, while USA would have to go playoffs against AFC/OFC teams at best
>>
>>68436760
I wasn't whining about anything, I just brought up one case offhand because I didn't personally know what candidates we had coming up, the back-and-forth was mostly me trying to clarify my point rather than just complaining.

if anything, it seems to me like the role that will be hardest to place is Bradley's. he has the presence, intensity, and stamina to be all over the field so regardless of talent level, it's not quite as easy to replace as some other positions. that still doesn't mean I'm dissatisfied with any specific position though, just that my confidence for the future lies more in hope than in likelihoods or assurances.
>>
>>68436890
>if both confederation gets merged then Mexico will struggle to qualify into WC, while USA would have to go playoffs against AFC/OFC teams at best
brain-dead-retarded statement, post discarded
>>
>>68437001
keep your grandeur delusions for you jimmy
>>
>>68437051
At least 3 of our teams would qualify every time, and 2 of them would ALWAYS be Mexico and America. You're just flat out wrong for saying otherwise.
>>
File: 1443064404566.jpg (26 KB, 192x171) Image search: [Google]
1443064404566.jpg
26 KB, 192x171
>>68437071
>
>>
>>68437071
you wouldnt always qualify, otoh, wed have a shot to qualify so welcome!
>>
>>68437112
>he actually, legitimately, and unironically believes that wasn't a fair statement
I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>68437071
Never read someone more wrong in my life holy shit.
>>
>>68436928
I said "whinging". Because you WERE complaining about a specific thing consistently.

Nothing is "assured", but I listed fact after fact supporting my position, and you responded mostly with variations of "but maybe not, I'm not sure". If our past results and current progression doesn't alleviate your intense doubt, nothing will.
>>
>>68436537
It would be interesting
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.