[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why come european only play soccer? In America, we have baseball,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
why come european only play soccer?

In America, we have baseball, basketball, football, ice hockey, and soccer, all taking place in different parts of the season. Europeans talk about soccer all year long. Don't you people get bored of watching the same sport all year long.
>>
there are other sports that are relatively popular (depending on the country, it's basketball, volleyball, ice hockey or handball + various individual sport, especially tennis), but, well, it's true they're still way behind divegrass

and they're all played at the same time, as historically in Europe:
summer = time for national teams
rest of the year = time for local leagues

The USA don't have this tradition about NT, so they organize their leagues to avoid direct concurrence as much as they can
>>
>>67757167
quelle?
>>
>>67757022
Of all the days to pick to make this '''''''point''''''' you chose this one?
>>
>>67757022
If you find your dream woman, a literal 10/10, your soul mate, you don't go around fucking other women, because you don't care about them. You only want this one perfect woman.

This is what football is to us.

You Americans still haven't found this one special "woman" in your life.
So you go around fucking random plastic sluts, who don't really love you and only want your money. Women who you have sex with for meaningless ~ 11 minutes and the rest of the relationship is just one big "buy me this, buy me that"

I really hope that you too will find that one special sport in your life someday, that will let you forget every other one.
>>
File: 1410258502695.gif (3 MB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1410258502695.gif
3 MB, 384x288
>>67757022

>why come european only play soccer?
>>
Soccer has Leagues, Cups, Champions League, Europa League, Club World Cup, Lowe leagues, Libertadores, National teams, Eurocup, Copa America, World Cup, U-17, etc.

You never stop watching something.
>>
File: bear.jpg (827 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
827 KB, 1600x1200
>Soccer season
>Lasts at least 3 seasons
>>
I know this is bait, but seriously. Whole world plays basketball. Even we do, although we have only two notable players in recently history. Germanic countries, Poland and former Yugoslavia play handball and we love it. When I had prom, thirty guys stood around a small tv just to see Poland - Norway, instead of getting drunk on smuggled booze.

Lots of countries play volleyball (including you, USA is a top 10 team) and it's our second national team sport. Look up Poland-Serbia at the opening of 2014 WC. 60000 people were singing national anthem and half of them could not see shit, because the court is too small for such an arena.

Ice Hockey is also popular and if you did not notice, there are tons of Europeans in NHL. Fuck, we even have our own giridion league which is gaining momentum. The only murrican sport we do not play is baseball.

And then you have winter sports. How come you guys never get excited for 4 Hills Tournament or Ski Flying in Planica? Oh right, that's because only thing any of your jumpers ever did was trip and break his own spine AFTER landing.
>>
>>67757022
I cant speak for others but well we dont. Popular sports in descending order in Norway:

- Football / Cross-country skiing
- Biathlon
- (Female mainly) Handball
- Ski jumping
- Alpine
- Combined nordic skiing
- Ice Hockey
- Rally
>>
>>67757022
Cricket is the 2nd most watched sport in the world
Rugby is popular in many parts
Boxing is still really popular in parts of the country
People also watch F1, Darts, Snooker

Football is just the dominant force, and no you can't get bored watching it, unless you're just a bandwagonner who doesn't really care about his team
>>
>>67757022
Also I find it crazy the way Americans support multiple "teams".

Like I support my local football team, but I can't imagine even caring half as much about my closest cricket or rugby team. There's only 1 sporting club I love
>>
>>67757022

You do have a point. That being said, there are other sports like basketball, handball, rugby and various winter sports off the top of my head.
>>
>>67757022
The England rugby team gets higher attendances than the football team these days.

There are plenty of different sports in Europe, it's just football is a lot more popular than them, whereas there's less disparity in popularity of sport, mostly because of the shorter seasons. In American football ran all year round essentially in America it would be even more dominant too
>>
>>67757586

Supporting multiple teams is just supporting multiple sports. Americans love sports, we can't just stick to loving 1 team in 1 sport.
>>
File: audreyirkl4.jpg (81 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
audreyirkl4.jpg
81 KB, 960x960
>seriously replying to either this shit bait or an ignoramus who blobs up Europe into one entity and doesn't know about the other sports that each European nation individually follows
>>
>>67757621

No he doesn't, Kevin. Germany certainly only has one sport, the UK, France, Spain, Scandi countries, etc, have large interests in sports other than football.
>>
>>67757559
This is pretty much correct
>>
>>67757022
Friday-Sunday

Football - FA Cup Final, Scottish Cup Final, FA Trophy Final, FA Vase Final
Rugby League - Magic Weekend
Rugby Union - Premiership
Cricket - England vs Sri Lanka, T20 Blast, County Championship
Darts - Premier League Final

Probably even more but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.
>>
>>67757167
Good post
>>
>>67757022
But we do, here it is:

Football

Basketball
Tennis
F1
GP
Cycling
Futsal
Handball

And some others like sailing too
>>
File: Kid_Rubs_Ice_Cream_on_Face.gif (4 MB, 284x160) Image search: [Google]
Kid_Rubs_Ice_Cream_on_Face.gif
4 MB, 284x160
>>67757436
I aint even mad!
>>
>>67757722
In Germany it's like that (as far as interest in sports goes):

1. Football

*Power Gap*

*2nd Power Gap*

2. F1
3. Handball
4. Boxing
5. Basketball
6. Tennis
7. Wintersports (especially ski jumping)
8. Ice Hockey

All other sports are pretty much completely irrelevant.
>>
>>67757525
Or because it doesn't get cold enough to snow in over half of our country. There are mountains and snow in only a special few places. Winter sports are popular there, but inaccesible for the rest of us. I know people who have only seen snow once or twice in their life where I live now.

Condescending prick, you need snow and slopes. Only a few places here have that.
>>
>>67757586
They are representative of the city or area and the only teams for miles. Not like London where there is a club every 500 feet.

So if you want to watch basketball, you support your local team. If you want to watch baseball you support your local team.

For me though, I'm a fan of my university more than anything and we have every major sport so that's really the only program I care about.
>>
I've always found it weird handball is popular in continental Europe but non-existent in the UK. I just checked the men's ranking, which lists the top 50 and the UK isn't even ranked. Do we even have a team?
>>
>>67757436
I shed a tear
>>
>>67757975
All I know is being a goalie in handball is one of the most brutal thing to endure

t. Someone who at one time enthusiastically volunteered to be the goalie at handball in PE in high school and then regretted it once the match started.
Those balls may be small, but fuck do they come with speed....
>>
>>67757975
I played it at center parks once and it was fun, but we don't really have room for anther popular sport
>>
>>67757022
Around here, alpine skiing and ski jumping are about as big as football. Yes, I know, I live in a meme country, but lobbing up all of Europe into one entity doesn't do the continent justice.
>>
>>67757312
what? what sport for what country?
>>
>>67757022
We also have four big team sports, you're just too fucking dense to notice:

Football
Cricket
Rugby Union
Rugby League

And again they're played at different times of the year. Football and rugby are obviously the winter sports and cricket is the summer sport, but there are still football and rugby matches in the summer (foreign tours in rugby, and international competitions and/or pre-season tournaments in football)

>>67757436
God this is a beautiful fucking post
>>
>>67757525
>The only murrican sport we do not play is baseball.

well, and handegg too

I'm not sure lacrosse should count, but I'm not sure it even exists here.
>>
File: 1373954832695.jpg (74 KB, 387x505) Image search: [Google]
1373954832695.jpg
74 KB, 387x505
>>67757479
>NFL """""""""""season"""""""""""
>lasts 16 games
>>
>tfw I watch football as a job
>tfw I want to kill myself after having watched 50 football matches in a month
>>
File: 1402307160453.jpg (23 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1402307160453.jpg
23 KB, 480x600
>>67757436
>>
>>67757436
Continuing that analogy to its logical conclusion, divegrass is more a bitch that has gotten fat and is only using >us as an ATM these days whereas American sports are for the most part hot hookers.
>>
>>67758734
>hookers
>hot

only in GTA

they also have STDs in real life
>>
>>67758536
In fact, we have new specific-handegg fields made every month in France. Handegg has become a great alternate to fighting, to rugby and to soccer for some youngsters from 'difficult neighbourhoods'. A lot of poor muslims or blacks tends to practice handegg.

Plus, I am training with the all-new college champion team (they've won two days ago). Approx. one hundred spectators, but yes, even universities have handegg teams here too. Since BeInSports broadcast the NFL without ads, handegg becomes viral here, people can be interested by more than just the Owl.
>>
File: ref fail.gif (3 MB, 437x292) Image search: [Google]
ref fail.gif
3 MB, 437x292
>>67759531
FRANCE STRONK
>>
>>67757793
over 130m people have easy access to snow/slopes in the US
that we can't get it together to win at those sports is kinda shitty
>>
>>67757022
Soccer is retardedly boring. The field is way too fucking big and there's too few men out there. It's like watching two ants move a crumb back and forth across a parking lot
>>
>>67757722
>Germany certainly only has one sport

Germans love handball, dude.
>>
>>67757757
>Tennis

You know that you guys are the kings of juicers in Tennis, right? :^)
>>
>>67757789

Is F1 really that popular?
>>
any ameri/leaf bros, do you play sports with your colleagues after work? I guess it is pretty common in soccer countries, playing 5-a-side or similar. Can you play football/baseball/hockey the same way? E.g. smaller pitch sizes, fewer people etc.

>not talking about basketball in the hood obviously
>>
>>67759868
In France, kinda, but people don't teally talk about it. They watch the race, sometimes the Q, the anaysis on TV and all this shit (on board videos, talk shows, etc ...) but it isn't a hot topic. It is harder to root for a racer or a team (let's say Grosjean and Renault but they are only good, not elite nor spectacular) so you show less emotions, and it is less seen.

Plus, F1 is a sport for speed lovers and smart people. So half of people don't care even a bit about it and won't understand how you can watch cars going in circle during two hours, and the other ones dream to drive a F1)
>>
>>67757436
Great post
>>
>>67759699
(You)
>>
>>67758885
>only in GTA

Have you ever been in a whorehouse?

If they weren't hot, pimps wouldn't employ them.
>>
>>67759699

Why do North Americans have such shit taste in sports?
>>
>>67759891
Pick up basketball is the easiest game to play and yeah we play all the time. Just get 3-5 guys and go to a gym or court and play whoever is there
>>
>>67760276
(You) need to go back.
>>
>>67759891
Touch football is kinda popular
>>
>>67757022
We have many other sports here in the UK that are quite popular, in some areas surpassing football, we have a very diverse mix of popular sports.
They just don't get talked about on here as often.
>>
>>67759699
>too few men
gay
>>
>>67757436
Virgin detected
>>
>>67757022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKjkwzThg5c but could you get bored of watching this though OC
>>
>>67757022
Football, volleyball, tennis, wrestling, discus, rowing, basketball
>>
>>67757436
m'lord

The reason is pretty simple, soccer last almost the whole year

If the NFL lasted the whole year no one would give a fuck about basbore and apehoop
>>
>>67777095
Yes they would. Even if it lasted the whole year, each team only plays once a week. And not everybody's favorite sport is football. Mine's not
>>
soccer is sort of a pan-European sport, but not everything.

ice hockey is quite a big sport in Northern Europe

and basketball is quite a big sport in Southern Europe

rugby is quite big in England and France

all these sport draw big audiences. Or atleast enough to run a pro league

You also have a lot of event-driven sports, like ski sports, track and field, and handball, but these are only really popular during the big tournaments/events.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.