[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Make 2 points worth 3 points, and 3 points worth 4 points, this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10
Make 2 points worth 3 points, and 3 points worth 4 points, this will fix basketball.
>>
How
>>
>>67560649
2/3 = 66.6666%
3/4 = 75%

The ratio of 2 to 3 points is too low, this means that if you have two teams, one only shoots 2 points and the other only shoots 3. If the two point shooting team has 100% shot accuracy, the 3 point shooting team only needs 67% accuracy to win.

Major loophole, the ratio of 2 to 3 is too low
>>
That's not that bad of an idea. You'd obviously have to adjust FTs as well (3 shots/4 shots).
>>
>>67560711
I agree, I've thought of this too but it will never happen

It's just a slight tweak but it would help. The way the game is now, it barely even makes any sense to try to get to the hoop. If you changed 2 to 3 and 3 to 4, shots behind the line would still be exciting and be rewarded, but it would be more specialized and would make it so it makes more sense to try and get a shot close to the basket
>>
>>67560799
This is when you make free throws very simple. One shot only. You make it, you get the full 3/4 points
>>
>>67560916
that would make Hack-a-X even more effective, which is shit
>>
>>67560711

im not sure if you know, but a team shooting 67% behind the 3 line in a professional game happens almost never.

Your maths are obviously correct, but there are other variables that need to be accounted for.
>>
>>67560711
If the rules got changed how would teams style of play change?
>>
>>67561017
Please just stop posting
>>
>>67561030
More focus would be put on driving to the basket and post ups and less on small ball, jump shooting line ups.

Also, you'd need to shoot 3s at a .375 clip to make them as efficient as .500 from too. Seems pretty fair to me.
>>
>>67561079
>from too
from 2*, I'm borderline retarded at 2:30am
>>
>>67561017
agreed, but the fact that a 3 point shot is 1.5 times worth a 2 point shot, creates a heavy bias towards a certain style of play and slowly eliminates any game strategy focused on getting to the hoop
>>
If this happened would centers who can't shoot FTs become obsolete on offense
>>
File: image.png (138 KB, 448x395) Image search: [Google]
image.png
138 KB, 448x395
>>67560622
>>67560711
>>67560799
>>67560841
>>67560916
>>67561079
>>67561231

This is probably the most retarded suggestion for a rule change of any sport I've ever had the misfortune of learning about.

You have absolutely no understanding of, or respect for, the history, tradition or natural evolution of the game of basketball. It's sad to know that dumb people are out there discussing dumb shit like this.

I'm sure you're a bunch of fags irl too.
>>
File: Karl_Pilkington_2008_cropped.jpg (108 KB, 312x383) Image search: [Google]
Karl_Pilkington_2008_cropped.jpg
108 KB, 312x383
>>67562022
> history, tradition or natural evolution of the game of basketball

its slowly becoming a circus sport
>>
make earth-shattering dunks worth 5 and i'm sold

not just any dunk tho, i mean shit where the defender ends up with a permanent imprint of a dude's nuts on his forehead
>>
>>67562022
>0 arguments
>>
>>67562022
>muh tradition
>>
>>67562022
Lol what a faggot

I know about the history of basketball and the three point line and I can also see that 3 point shots being worth 50% more points pretty much makes 2 pointers obsolete

Good bait though faggot
>>
To fix basketball;
Make the court 100 meters x 70 meters
Change the surface to grass
15 players per team
Change hoops to H goal posts
Use an oval ball
2 in goal areas
A half way line, two 10 meter lines, two 22 meter lines and two in goal ares.
>>
Once 3 pointers become super trendy and everyone starts doing it, you're going to see more defensive strategies developed to counter it, which will leave teams exposed to big men working the inside, which will come into fashion again.

>assuming this shit isn't cyclical
>>
>>67562404
gl defending GS
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 675x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 675x450
>>67560622
>>67562069
>>67562099
>>67562102
>>67562132
>implying basketball needs fixed
>3 point = "major loophole"
It's not a "loophole" you fucking morons. It's just part of the fucking game. Get over it.

I'm sorry that Curry us raping your teams lol. But you need to stop being so butt hurt that you're fantasizing about delusional rule changes that cater to your own little personal favorite preferences.

>>67560711

>1/2 = 50%
>2/3 = 66666667%

>The ratio of 1 to 2 points is too low, this means that if you have two teams, one only goes for the 1 extra point goal and the other only goes for the 2 point conversion, If the 1 extra point team has 100% field goal accuracy, the 2 point conversion team only needs 51% accuracy to win.

>Major loophole, the ratio of 1 to 2 is too low

>Change NFL rules now because I like seeing field goal attempts more than 2 point conversions.

>ITS A MOTHERFUCKING 2POINT CONVERTING CIRCUS OUT THERE FOR FUCKS SAKE!
>SOMEONES GOTTA PUT A STOP TO THIS MADNESS!!!
>>
>>67562612
I'm a Warriors fan you fucking retard
Can you not into simple math and see that shooting threes is a more efficient way of scoring and makes shooting 2 pointers pointless?
>>
>>67560622

I love how internet fags talk about how shit sports are but the likelihood of them participating or even going outside is astronomically low.

Why don't you actually go shoot some hoops and track your stats given how easy 3's are.
>>
>>67562022
>>67562612
>>67562855

why are you casuals so triggered?
>>
>>67562612
desu the 3 point was implemented to open things up and allow teams to make more 2s. The fouling rules changed so much now tho that the shots flipped and the 2 is now regarded as a threat to keep teams from stopping 3s.
>>
>>67562902
Your stupidity mostly.
>>
>>67562404
>>assuming this shit isn't cyclical
It's literally not. The importance of the 3 point shot has been on a constant rise since the early 90s and it still hasn't stopped, so if it is a cycle then it's an incredibly long one. The 3 point shot is simply overpowered and only now do we see just how much when guards like Curry or Lillard are entering their prime after spending their entire lives practicing 3 point shooting. Expect more players like this to enter the league in the near future.

This season, the league wide 2P% was .490. To reach the same level of efficiency with 3s you only have to hit them only at a .326 rate (the league average was .355).

>>67562612
It's not a loophole. It's simply overpowered, especially considering the degree of randomness it adds to the game. Over the course of the season it will average out according to players'/teams' shooting skill but a team randomly getting hot from 3 for a short stretch makes them nigh unbeatable (the Cavs so far in the play offs).

3 pointers are simply a more efficient way of scoring and only now do teams start really taking advantage of it. Over the last ~10 years the number of 3s taken has increased dramatically. In 05/06 teams attempted 1310 3s on average and made them at a .358 rate, this season, an average team attempted 1975 3s and made them at a .355 rate.

The game will only continue to get more focused on 3 point shooting because teams are getting better and better at shooting (vastly increased volume at a constant efficiency). It's simply too strong.
>>
>>67560799

how would this fix basketball? it slows the game down and watching free throws except for the last two minutes of tight games is boring af
>>
>>67562954
It doesn't "fix" basketball. It just balances it since the 3 point shot is too powerful of a tool that's only becoming more powerful with each season.
>>
>>67560916

taking the transition circus time ally oop slam dunk? what kind of basketball do you want to watch? a bunch of old timey white guys named Snowflake who don't carry the ball with every dribble?
>>
basketball isn't broken. even the warriors only take what, 30% of their total shots from 3? even in games where they go off from deep, they usually score more points from 2 than from 3.
>>
>>67563251
see
>>67562953
>>
>>67562132
>pretty much makes 2 pointers obsolete
>>67562773
>makes shooting 2 pointers pointless

You may have noticed that NBA players and coaches have not adopted this strategy bc they actually understand basketball.

You do not understand basketball if you don't understand both the advantages and disadvantages of going for the 2 point or the 3 point shot given a certain situation or circumstance.

You do not understand basketball if you think chucking 3 point shots 100% of the time is a good strategy.

You do not play basketball I'm sure.

>>67562953
>OH NO GUYZ!!!!! THE 3 POINT IS ON THE RISE!!! D:
>SOMEONE STOP IT!!!! ITS GETTING "TOO STRONG"!!! FUCK ME, ITS SOOO STRONG!!!!

You are such a massive faggot.
>>
>>67560622
>My team isn't the warriors

Cry more, faggot
>>
File: Magic_Johnson_character.jpg (54 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Magic_Johnson_character.jpg
54 KB, 512x384
The all time NBA scoring list would be wiped out with the likes of Kareem, Karl Malone, Kobe, MJ and Wilt and be replaced by current chuckers like Harden and Curry.
>>
It's time to stop posting.
>>
>>67563446
You can't call Curry a chucker when he's such an efficient shooter. And besides, the only way Harden is threatening any all time greats is if free throws are worth 2 points in this scenario and they start calling more fouls.
>>
>>67563446

You don't know basketball if you think Harden is a chucker. While being a volume shooter, this fucker only strives to get to the line on iffy calls on contact he created.

Is it cheap as fuck? Yes
Is it effective? Only in the regular season.
>>
>>67561017
>a literal dumb post
>look up flag
>american

Every. Time.
>>
>>67562953

if that were really true defenses would simply change their style and the cycle would continue

its true that 3pt shots have been statistically "underutilized" throughout the history of basketball and strategy is only just now catching up with that

but defense now must evolve too, and i guarantee it will
>>
>>67563584
>Spain
> No NBA team

Why don't you go watch your precious Euro league? I hear that's where scrubs and old guys hanging on too long go to play.
>>
>>67562773
the best shot in basketball is still an open layup.
>>
>>67563866
You can't consistently get open layups but you can consistently create decent 3 point looks.
>>
>>67561060

talk shit say nothing

>>67563584

you have no opinion, you aren't even good at your national sport anymore.
>>
Basketball is getting way too similar to bowling. Everyone doing the same damn shit at the pro level and becoming a war of attrition.

Basketball is at its best when you watch kids playing in junior high where a great play just blows people's minds and making a shot is a big deal rather than just being a total disgrace when they miss. Or watching people on the street when some dickwad comes in and schools all the locals after shit talking.

The fact that brackets are so predictable shows that basketball has "peaked."
>>
>>67563977
>le ISIS is good at beheading meme

when will this meme die?
>>
>>67563986
>>67563986
I agree watching kids play is actually more enjoyable. Seeing the retarded little minds actually accomplish something gives me good feels.
>>
>>67564004

he may have meant soccer my slow little friend
>>
>>67563986

>The fact that brackets are so predictable shows that basketball has "peaked."

if you had the thunder beating the spurs in a best of 7 you are fucking retarded

hold that L

>>67564004

after your country finally cultivates someone who can finish inside the box
>>
>>67563352
>You do not play basketball I'm sure

Except I do, or at least did and was actually pretty good and outside shooting was my strong point. Now obviously for me, shooting threes every time isn't a good strategy because I can't knock down 40% of my three point shots unless I'm only taking literally wide open ones. If you have multiple guys on your team that can shoot over 40% from three point range then you might as well just swing the ball around until you get an open shot from three point range unless there's a clear layup opportunity. I didn't mean literally every time you should shoot a three but if you have the guys that can do it then you might as well that your primary source of scoring
>>
>>67564121
>If you have multiple guys on your team that can shoot over 40% from three point range then you might as well just swing the ball around until you get an open shot from three point range unless there's a clear layup opportunity.

Simplifying basketball down to open 3 point looks and layups is ridiculous and anyone who has played the game seriously will think your pretty fucking retarded for that statement. And you are, you really are ducking retarded.
>>
>>67564528
>Simplifying basketball down to open 3 point looks and layups is ridiculous
Morey's Rockets did it (plus FTs)

:^)
>>
>>67564568
Cute.
>>
>>67564528
No...not really
Those are statistically the best shots in the game...why take an 18 foot jumper when you take one big step back and score 50% more points? It's a slight gamble but the potential payoff is worth it

I thought you were being serious at first, but now I can see you're just trolling. Have a nice life faggot
>>
File: impressed.png (113 KB, 219x281) Image search: [Google]
impressed.png
113 KB, 219x281
>>67560711
mfw ive never thought of this before but this is a really cool argument and will now claim it as my own in casual sports chat around the water cooler
>>
File: image.gif (23 KB, 397x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
23 KB, 397x200
>>67564121
>>67564789
>why take an 18 foot jumper when you take one big step back and score 50% more points
>It's a slight gamble but the potential payoff is worth it

Holy shit! You understand basketball so well. Listen to you go on with such a technical breakdown of the optimal scoting strategy. Do you work for the NBA!?

>just swing the ball around until you get an open shot from three point range unless there's a clear layup opportunity.
And the basketball wisdom just keeps comin'! Please, stop giving away these ingenious plays for free on 4chan anon!

In all seriousness tho, you totally sound like someone who should be talking about basketball and suggesting improvements to the sport. If there's one person that knows basketball inside and out, it's you, anon! Clearly.
>>
adding the 3 point line was a mistake
>>
Why ???
>>
saved
>>
make the 2 point shot worth 3 and the 3 point shot worth 2
>>
>>67574180
See
>>67563986
>>67562953
>>67560711
>>
File: image.png (464 KB, 500x462) Image search: [Google]
image.png
464 KB, 500x462
>>67560622
>>67560711
Assuming this is an issue, which almost nobody thinks it is, but I'll humor you, explain to me why most pick up games are played with 1/2 ratio? I've been playing basketball for over 20 years inside and outside of leagues and can tell you almost every pick up game I've ever played has had a 1-2 scoring structure up to 11, 15 or 21, win by 2. This is pretty standard outside of league play. Nobody is bitching about the 2 point shot being "too strong", even tho it's an even lower ratio in those circumstances. There are many pick up teams I've played that shoot the contested 2 very well and they still will lose against teams that score point by point inside bc that's the way basketball is - the more valuable shot isn't always the one that earns the team more points in the long run.

This is why I believe you probably do not play basketball and are trying to reduce the scoring trends to simple math while disregarding the complexity of the sport.

>>67562953
Why are you so frightened of randomness? Why is the fact that teams are utilizing the 3 point more often such a bad thing? Obviously the midrange shot is still extremely valuable as is the contested dunk and layups.

Also, having a strong rim game is essential to opening up the 3 point shot for a team. You can't only have 3 point shooters or all the teams would be doing it.
>>
>>67566174
Thanks pham, I agree, since I haven't said anything that isn't true, at least in theory

Also this isn't anything new I'm saying but I'm glad you're so impressed and think I'm the first one to realize this
>>
Make the 2 point shot equal 2, make the 3 point shot equal 2.

Forcing contact (like the bullshit Harden was doing against the Warriors) results in an instant ejection and 100k fine

30-day suspension without a pay if you shoot under 60% from the free throw line over a span of 30+ games
>>
>>67578333
Also 1 year suspension for flopping (1st offense). Second offense lifetime ban.

Definition of flop in this circumstance is require no contact (eg. everything Damian Lillard does). If you do get touched then you're subject to heavy scrutinization--excessive flopping on contact results in 1 year ban.
>>
>>67562022
>>67560994
>>67563162
One free throw should be all any player needs. It adds to the importance of practicing free throws, and protects against gay fouls for the sake of saving a basket

Oh and it does all of this while SAVING so much time, making the hack a bitch strategy not as boring to watch
>>
>>67576530
you probably don't feel the effect as much since the points goal is too low. However if it was a timed match or a higher points goal, the team with a tendency to go for 2 over 1 will win more often
>>
>>67563584
>a literal headless post
>look up flag
>can't see it because the wall is in the way

Thank you President Trump
>>
File: image.jpg (202 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202 KB, 1280x720
>>67578123

>I haven't said anything that isn't true, at least in theory

>this isn't anything new I'm saying
>you're so impressed and think I'm the first one to realize this

Hence the sarcasm you literal idiot.
You're talking about basketball the way a preteen who has never actually played it views the game:

>WHY DONT THEY ALL JUST GO FOR 3 POINTERS OR LAYUPS!?
>THOSE ARE THE MOST EFFICIENT SHOTS.. DUH!
>IN THEORY

You cannot discuss this sport having never actually played it. Get out more and maybe get some hobbies rather than trying to improve other peoples'.
>>
>>67580578
I already told you I have played it though and you're purposefully leaving that out to try and discredit me, and I mostly shot three pointers and drove to the basket. I don't understand why you're acting like this is such a crazy idea. There have been teams that basically do this but not to such an extreme as every shot being a layup or 3 pointer, that's why I said in theory, because in real life you would also get some open 2 point shots that aren't lay ups that you should take. For example, the Warriors have been varying versions of a fast break team that trys for lay ups and shoots a lot of threes for about a decade now
>>
>>67560622
Bring back hip/hand check and fouls after the whistle. Re-extend the 3 point line, ejection for flopping. I don't know how to fix prefetrential treatment of manufactured celebrities but that and the refs need to go
>>
>>67581189
I'm inferring that the extent of your experience actually playing basketball is more than likely an infrequent game of HORSE at your local boys and girls club. Based on what you've said so far, you appear to have very little actual experience. Hope that's not too cryptic for you.

People enjoy watching the Warriors play this style. I have no qualms with the progression of the sport and the increased focus on the 3 point shot. The vast majority of basketball players and fans are fine with the sport as its evolving.

You seem to think your opinion is shared by many and important enough to warrant an actual discussion of changing the entire scoring structure of the game bc the big bad 3 is coming to ruin everything. I will reiterate my original point that you are probly a faggy individual irl as well.
>>
>>67581704
Except I've played on teams...in leagues..and I've probably watched basketball longer than you have. I already said in this thread that it would never happen anyway >>67560841 so this is all just hypothetical discussion. I never said lots of people have this opinion, you're literally just making up shit that's not true because you have no argument against anything I've said

>you are probly a faggy individual

...great argument..Why do you get so triggered when somebody has a different opinion than you?
>>
>>67581976
>argument
Well there you have it. You are out to find an argument and you are looking at me as if we are equal, debating an idea.

That's not what's happening here.

You have suggested something so incredibly unnecessary and stupid that the very fact that you've even thought of it, typed it out, and posted it, is a testament to your own inexperience with the sport.

You are not going to convince me that you play basketball. And I'm clearly not breaching your ignorance. So I guess this is good bye :(
>>
>>67582293
We literally just debated it though...What a shame you can't understand the simple concept of what a debate is. Whether I can convince you I played or not doesn't change facts so I don't mind. You haven't argued one single actual point as to why the current scoring system is the best in this whole discussion and just quit because you had nothing. 'I'm right because I'm right' means nothing. What a miserable life you must have if discussing hypotheticals makes you so angry

Later faggot
>>
That's retarded. There should clearly be 7 pointers and 8 pointers only
>>
>>67560622
you realize that gsw would score over 200 points a game and never lose?
>>
>>67582582
You clearly don't understand the math. If anything other teams would have a slightly better chance of winning
>>
>>67563043
Threes create a more aesthetically pleasing game. They spread the floor and open up floor space to run plays.

Make threes worse and watch everyone pack the paint. Now the game has turned into a drive and shoot free throws contest. There won't be lots more dunks or anything because even more people will be sitting by the basket.
>>
>>67582620
make half court 4 pts and keep it where it is
>>
Attention retards:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current game. This is just a team that emphasizes on the shot, but if you watch a single Warriors game you can tell that they are very capable of making points in the paint.

The game doesn't necessarily need to evolve, but teams just have to have more shooters and less nig court trained handlers who just drive the ball all day. Teams have to be more dynamic and efficient to keep up with GSW scoring.
>>
>>67582582
there are two teams
>>
>>67582418
The current scoring system is what it is. That's it. The sport is fine. If 3 pointers become more focused in on in the future if the nba then that's interesting, but not concerning in any way. Why would it be?

It's absolutely unnecessary to change the scoring system. The current scoring system is not damaging to the sport, the players, the fans, or anyone except for you apparently.

Starting a thread implying that basketball needs fixed, as in its broken to begin with, is the mark of an idiot who doesn't play or really follow the sport. The only reason anyone would agree with OP is bc they don't like 3 pointers for some weird reason. I dont understand this irrational fear of the increasing importance of the 3 point shot. This is not a debate. This is is just fucking retarded lol.
>>
>his sport has multiple point values for doing the same action

LMAO
>>
File: curry down lelbron.jpg (62 KB, 570x317) Image search: [Google]
curry down lelbron.jpg
62 KB, 570x317
>>67560622
>Make 2 points worth 3 points, and 3 points worth 4 points, this will fix basketball.
>>67560711
>Major loophole, the ratio of 2 to 3 is too low
>"BUT THE MEME 3'S GAUSISE! DEY GILLING MY DEAM! BAAWAWAWAAWAWAWAWAAAWAWAWAAWAWAWAWAAAWAWAWAAWAWAWAWAAAWAWAWAAWAWAWAWAAAWAWAWAAWAWAWAWAAAWAWAWAAWAWAWAWA"

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html
>2016 nba league 3pt avg: .354%
>1994-1996, 2004-2011, and 2012-2014 seasons all had higher %
>2000-2002 seasons had equal %
>"BUT CURRY IS MEME! "
No. Your team is shit. They'll still be shit if they changed the rules.
>>
>>67562316
No one cares about ur nrl bullshit m8
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.