[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
was it really rigged /sp/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8
was it really rigged /sp/?
>>
>>67424366
Absolutely
>>
yeah it was, but the good guys/better team/more deserving side won, so it doesn't matter
>>
Yes. So was the heat run in 06.
>>
>27 FTs vs 9 FTs in JUST THE FOURTH QUARTER
>not rigged
>>
>>67424366
Yeah, but does it really matter? The Kings will always be irrelevant.
>>
>whistle on Vlade every 5 seconds

fuck the Lakers
>>
>>67424450
the lakers were more deserving after winning back to back championships? how is that?
>>
Game 6 ended the innocence of my childhood. I was born and raised in Sacramento and that was probably the most traumatic event of my childhood

There is no way a sane, rational basketball fan can watch Game 6, specifically the 4th quarter, and not come to the conclusion that the game was rigged in favor of the Lakers. Both of our centers fouled out before the 4th quarter started. The Lakers shot 24 free throws in the 4th quarter. The calls were blatantly missed time and time again and they were all missed for the benefit of the Lakers

Clearly 100% rigged.
>>
the Kings coach was Hitler

they deserved to lose
>>
>>67424482
we wouldn't have been irrelevant if that game turned out differently, Sacramento would have a fucking NBA title. We're irrelevant BECAUSE we got fucking screwed. The franchise has been in precipitous decline since David Stern stole that game.
>>
>>67424541
deserving isnt about plucky underdog sob stories, its about who played well enough that they should be the ones winning the games. the lakers were hot back then, they couldve easily had at least 3 more if their egos didnt tear it apart
>>
yes. The ref even admitted it
>>
>>67424366
Yea, but it was probably for the best. Casual fans knew about Kobe and Shaq far more than Bibby or Divac. Nobody outside of Sacramento cared.
>>
>>67424617
what? the series was tied, both teams were winning games. wow i guess this is why they call it cuckhoop if this is how the fans really are.
>>
>>67425141

>its for the best that games are rigged so small market/underdogs can never win

kys, my man
>>
>>67425105
Source?
>>
>>67425174
I don't really care about either team, or the NBA in general. But far more people were rooting for the Lakers than the Kings, so the majority were happy, even if it was a hollow victory.
>>
>>67425207

>a city with more people should always win

again, kys my man
>>
>>67425187

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91415111
>>
>>67425105
>>67425320
Says right there in the article that Donaghy did not ref that game.
>>
>>67425268
Sorry, but a team that routinely doesn't have a strong fanbase does not deserve to have a championship over an immensely more popular team. So what if a few million "fans" are disappointed? Otherwise we had two mediocre teams in the finals
>>
>>67425400

>loudest stadium of the early 2000's wiht near 100% attendance consecutively isnt a strong fanbase

not only are you retarded, but you dont know anything about sports
>>
>>67425425
before 2000 and after 2004 that stadium was quiet as fuck. I should know I've lived my whole life within an hour of Arco
>>
>>67425474

you keep acting like I dont know you're lying

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2005
>>
>>67425505
>http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2005
>2005: 13th
>2006: 14th
>2007: 16th
>2008: 28th

K
>>
>>67425549
are you literally trying to argue that it's okay to rig games in favor of large market teams?
>>
>>67425549

>2005
>100% attendance
>2006
>100% attendance
>2007
>100% attendance
>>
>>67425581
I'm literally arguing that nobody really cares anymore, and when it happened, far more people gained from it than lost.

>>67425599
>Shows me sorted by number of fans
>I show why your statistics are completely false
If the Kings have such a strong fanbase, how come they've been under 86% capacity for 5 straight years (2008-2013)? Surely a "strong fanbase" would support their team throughout the decade?
>>
>no one brings up how the lakers got absolutely hosed by shit calls in game 5
>no one brings up how there were shit calls against both teams in game 6
>no one brings up how the kings still choked in game 7 to lose the series despite no claims of "rigging"

most people on /sp/ weren't even old enough to watch this series live and are basing their opinions off of biased youtube compilations and groupthink--everyone else is talking about the lakers kings fix meme so it must be true!

this is literally how redditors form their opinions, congratulations
>>
>>67425711

because the maloofs were absolute bastards and tried to sell the team just like they did with the sonics. And if you werent literally a braindead moron, you could see that other teams would place higher because they have greater stadium capacity, so a 90% attendance would out rank them just because it seats more people

and if you REALLY werent a complete dumbass, you could read the 2016 attendance record, which was back to nearly 100%
>>
was the nets-raptors series in 2014 rigged?

i believe the answer to both is yes
>>
>>67425780
The max capacity potential has absolutely zero to do with what percentage of the stadium is actually filled. Either people go or they don't. 15% empty seats is a large percentage, no matter how many people the stadium actually holds.

And anyways, in both 2015 AND 2016, the attendance when the Kings played there was 6 and 5 percent less than the max capacity. Outside of the few millions of people in the Sacramento area, absolutely zero people care about the Kings. Sorry to break it to you
>>
>>67425973

it has absolutely everything to do with it, you retard

in 2005, the kings were ranked 13th with 100% attendance, below the 76ers(10th), who had 87%

> Outside of the few millions of people in the Sacramento area, absolutely zero people care about the Kings. Sorry to break it to you

and someone who ACTUALLY lives outside the sacramento area unlike your lying ass, people DO care about the kings
>>
>>67426063

as someone*
>>
>>67426063
Evidently not, as the Kings frequently played in front of a non-filled arena when playing away. That only happens when there isn't a draw to the team. Even the Lakers, as absolutely horrible as they have been the last few seasons, have drawn 3 and 6 percent more than the Kings when playing away. What does that tell you? The Kings are nobodies in the NBA, and will continue to be so
>>
>>67425711
far more people gained from it, so you mean people who bet on the lakers? who gives a fuck about them?
>>
File: 1457176062151.jpg (23 KB, 500x444) Image search: [Google]
1457176062151.jpg
23 KB, 500x444
>>67426147

>its the kings fault they didnt attract fans from other teams to watch them play

wow. I...wow
>>
>>67426157
Pretty much every bandwagon Lakers fan, and the international basketball fans who only knew the stars like Kobe or Shaq. The Kings sweeping the Nets would have had far less appeal than the Lakers.

>>67426185
Correct. I'm sorry if I offended you as a Kings fan, but it's the truth. When the Kings play in other stadiums, there is less of a draw to watch them play.
>>
I asked Bibby one time and he said "I'm mic'd up right now, but you SAW THAT SHIT RIGHT?!"
>>
The NBA is the EASIEST sport to fix because there are so few players, the rules are so arbitrary, and every call is so subjective. Whether the game was fixed or not, people willingly believe it was fixed because it COULD be fixed.

The NBA needs to move to computer refs as soon as possible if it wants to eliminate all suspicion from its officiating.
>>
>>67425391
but he mentions it specifically as a game he knew was rigged.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401
>>
>>67426254
I've rewatched game 6 a few times (out of my own masochistic mindset) and it's clear on the Kings' faces that they all knew what was going on in that game. Bibby was openly shouting at officials all 4th quarter long and the look on Adelman's face went from shock to disgust to outrage to just trying to make it through the game without being ejected.

Ralph Nader wrote a letter on behalf of American Consumers to the NBA telling them how bullshit he and the entire viewing audience knew it was: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/nba/02playoffs/2002-06-06-nader-letter.htm
>>
>>67426214
are you b8ing me with this dumb shit? bandwagon fans? what the fuck are you even talking about are you high on coke?
>>
>i thought about this 20 minutes ago while waiting for my train
spooky
>>
>>67426457
Lakers had the #1 away game attendance in 2002, at 157.3%. That was a full 13% more than the 2nd road attendance (incidentally the Kings). The Lakers were by far the most popular team in the country, and it wasn't really close.
>>
>>67426214
It's the Kings' FAULT that they didn't have the same appeal as the Lakers?

I'm not saying you're wrong about the game being decided because the Lakers had more appeal, but how on earth is it the Kings' fault? It's the NBA's fault for changing a game's outcome to aid their bottom lines. The Kings only moved from the metropolis of Kansas City, Missouri to the international city of Sacramento, California in 1985. Only 16 years later they're playing to be in the NBA Championship series, they're not going to have the same appeal as the back-to-back champs from the NBA's most famous franchise.

The Kings were on the fucking cover of Sports Illustrated multiple times in the previous 3 years. They were called the Greatest Show on Court. Webber jerseys were among the most popular in the league around the country. The Kings couldn't have done more to gain fans on their side
>>
>>67426606
Whether or not it's the Kings fault that they have a smaller fanbase is immaterial. They DID have a far smaller fanbase than the Lakers, both at home and away, so the reality is that more people were glad the Lakers advanced than the Kings.

Apologies to those Kings fans that have supported the Kings, but they really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. The NBA, and by extension the Kings brand itself, gained far more from having the Lakers in the Finals than the Kings. It's just the fact. The more popular team winning was best for the huge majority.
>>
File: itsasuicide.jpg (31 KB, 650x453) Image search: [Google]
itsasuicide.jpg
31 KB, 650x453
>>67426601
so you are b8ing me. gg bro
>>
>>67426793
>I-I-It's just b-b-b8
gjge
>>
>>67426730
Dude who the fuck cares what's "better for the majority?" There's supposed to be some fucking integrity here. The better team is supposed to fucking win. You cannot just sit there and cynically give the NBA the undeserved honor or condoning their actions in this situation. They deserve to be excoriated. They deserve to be ridiculed.

The Kings could have no fans and be universally despised, if they're the better team then they should fucking win the game.
>>
>>67426819
"Integrity" is just the minority calling something unfair. The "integrity" of anything (sports, politics, etc) is second to a course of action that serves to benefit the majority. NBA fans did not care that the Kings cried foul, because they were too busy getting hyped for the Lakers in the finals. The few voices who cried foul are less important than the majority who were satisfied. That's why it was for the best.
>>
>>67426966
OK Ayn Rand, fuck off with your objectivist bullshit
>>
>>67427001
I can see how you'd be mad. I would be too if I was a Kings fan. But talk to any other fanbase and you'd most likely be answered with a shrug.
>>
>>67427040

fuck off, what fanbase on this planet would say "yah, this team should win because they have more fans"
>>
>>67427040
I have no clue why you keep talking about other fanbases' or about a plurality of opinions as if opinions mean anything when determining the FACT of who the better team was. The better team got fucked. You're OK with that because you're un-American
>>
>>67427068
No, it'd be more of a "It's the Kings so who cares" kind of shrug.

>>67427073
Does it matter who was the better team when the other team's profit potential for the league is far greater? I have my doubts.
>>
>>67427198

>No, it'd be more of a "It's the Kings so who cares" kind of shrug.

got any facts to back that up?
>>
>>67427238
The Kings away attendance figures.
>>
>>67427250

that has nothing to do with anything

Show me literally any example where people are OK with the 2002 refball
>>
File: rig.png (82 KB, 651x994) Image search: [Google]
rig.png
82 KB, 651x994
>>67427270
Here's the basis of the rigging allegations, by Donahue himself. More nationally relevant teams = more fans of said teams.

http://www.realclearsports.com/articles/2014/04/28/did_nba_really_fix_its_playoff_games_97937.html#.Vy6dz4QrJhE
>>
File: 1432775179400.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1432775179400.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>67427401

so your evidence to support this is NOT from fans, but from the league rigging games to make more money
>>
>>67427437
To make more money from advancing the teams who have the larger fanbase, yes.
>>
>>67427455
This objectivist dogma you're spouting is such bullshit. If it were in the greater good for the league to do this than why not just fucking turn into professional wrestling and script the outcomes beforehand? And in your case, why watch sports at all? When you watch do you honestly cheer for the team with the bigger market share? Do you even cheer at all, you fucking soulless bastard?
>>
>>67427650
I follow teams, but more for their players effort an individual performances than the good of the franchise. It's entirely reasonable to expect the leagues to rig the matches in favor of the greatest profit potential, especially at the expense of a smaller franchise. After all, the NBA only cares about one thing: the profits for the NBA. Not you, not me, not the millions of fans who cheer each year for franchises. If you think otherwise you're delusional.
>>
>>67424366
>Kings fans whine endlessly about Game 6 at a 40-25 FTA discrepancy
>are curiously silent about Game 3, in which SAC attempted 35 FTs to the Lakers' 15
>>
File: disgust.jpg (26 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
26 KB, 720x720
>>67427040
Wow I've just been reading this conversation and this is pissing me off. I'm a Bulls fan, one of the biggest market teams and massive benefactor of league refball in the past. Or I should say I was a Bulls fan, because Kings vs Lakers made me stop watching basketball. I still haven't watched a full season of NBA since then, it completely ruined my love of the game.

The other guy is right and you are dead fucking wrong. The Kings were the better team, they should have won, the league rigged the game for the worse team, and its a fucking travesty that the NBA hasn't received any real punishment for it. It's the single biggest injustice in sports and it disgusts me to even think about. That one rigged game ruined the entire Sacramento Kings franchise, while also solidifying the L.A. Lakers franchise for years to come. There was so much at stake in that game and the losers should have been the winners.

You fucking disgust me dude. Jesus Christ.
>>
NBA has always been rigged. its easy to get away with it too because the players are literally dumb niggers who foul on every posession
>>
>>67424366

Game 6 was blatantly rigged. Still, the Kings kind of choked game 7.
>>
>>67424366

All sports are rigged.
>>
The NBA is run by kikes, what do you expect? They've been rigging games since Jordan in the 90s.
>>
Game 5 in 2006 was fucking rigged
>>
File: 1303726502148.png (85 KB, 479x282) Image search: [Google]
1303726502148.png
85 KB, 479x282
Of course.
>>
>>67424366
Yes. The Kings should've beaten the Lakers in that game to win the 2002 Western Conference Finals, and then should've beaten the New Jersey Nets to win the 2002 NBA title.
>>
100%
>>
I was a kid when it happened,die hard Kings fan. It was rigged and I stopped watching basketball after that. Completely heartbroken. Ref admitted they were bribed.
>>
>having rigged sports leagues
Must suck desu
>>
>>67424366

Yup

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401
>>
>>67425268
This anon gets it. End your life, you low-energy, bland as fuck faggot.
>>
>>67425141
Holy shit please stop commenting about sports forever. Maybe the most cuck posts that I've ever seen, and that's saying something.
>>
YES IT WAS RIGGED, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL

NOBODY WANTED TO SEE THAT SORRY ASS KINGS TEAM ADVANCE, FUCK THEM, FUCK THE PLAYERS, FUCK THE OWNERS, FUCK SACREMENTO AND YOU ALL FUCKING KNOW IT
>>
>>67425141
Kill yourself
>>
Irrelevant sport, who cares if it was
>>
File: 1450647279633.png (357 KB, 397x402) Image search: [Google]
1450647279633.png
357 KB, 397x402
>>67424366
>Sacramento cucks
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.