[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Despite scoring lots of goals Jamie Vardy was dismissed from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 275x183
>Despite scoring lots of goals Jamie Vardy was dismissed from his youth team because coach and staff said he wasn't big enough to do well in the top tier

Why do english teams keep throwing away massive talents because of physique?

Would Messi have been thrown out of the english youth system as a kid or forced to play CM?
>>
>>67313079
Messi was completely different. Vardy is a late bloomer and Messi was a prodigy that even the most deluded of coaches could see was special
>>
It's to do with poor coaching at youth level. It's too hard to teach tactics, passing and football intelligence so they went for physicality. They sacrificed long term gain for short term success (by success I mean meaningless youth games)
Depressing
>>
>>67313090
>Late bloomer

He's always scored an insane amount of goals especially in his youth.

It was his size they had a problem with.

Could this be the reason why the english NT keeps underachiving?

Messi was even shorter than average as a kid, would he really have gone through as a CF?
>>
>>67313079
Because youth coaches are judged on results and therefore pick players that win them games. Teams shouldn't care about the positions their youth teams finish in youth leagues, it should be judged purely on how its players are progressing even if their youth team finishes bottom every year
>>
>>67313132
>would he really have gone through as a CF?
yes, Jermain Defoe is 5'7" and has played at the top level his entire career
>>
>>67313079
The english youth system is shit. When I was a kid the best player in our area went to my school and he was outrageous but got dropped from the chelsea youth system because he was too small(then got depressed and got into drugs). And the kids who do well are the ones who are big for their age because youth games are played on a full size pitch. All we need to do to fix it is play on smaller pitches until a later age
>>
>>67313079
Germans do that exact same thing as well.
>>
>>67313123
it's scary to think how many pace babbies we'll have in the NT in a few years time. the likes of demarai gray who can effortlessly take a full-back out of the game, but not have a clue what to do with the ball when it matters.
>>
>>67313155
Defoe is very strong though, Messi is pure technique and was even shorter as a kid (4'11-5'2 by current standards)
>>
>>67313079
it's not just in England, Pep Guardiola was considered too small and weedy to play for the Barcelona B side as a youngster until Johan Cruyff came in and forced the coach to play him. Even then the B team coach was reluctant as he thought Guardiola would cost him games
>>
Height is important in football. There is a reason why most forwards are well above Vardy's stature (5ft 10in) nowadays, even the ones hailing from naturally 'short' countries. Messi is an anomaly.
>>
There are so many talents with equal skill nowadays. Why would you decide to use an inferior manlet?
WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?
>>
>>67313198
Dismissing someone purely due to their height is still pants-on-head retarded.
>>
Some clubs are shit at scouting.

benficucks dismissed Figo when he was very young because he was not tall.

And Figo was 10x times the player Vardy will ever be.
>>
>>67313198
It depends on playing style though.

If the english NT had players like Silva, Eriksen, Pirlo, Xavi / Iniesta they could really use all the potential of their fast pace babies.

Take a look at Englands CM's they've always been very limited in terms of technique and vision.

I'm not saying they should all be small, but having some of those players will just open up so many opportunities in top games.

>>67313226
t. Peter Crouch
>>
>>67313233
How many premier titles does figo have?
>>
>>67313079
I knew a kid, about five years younger than me, that roasted the shit out of everyone, even in "bigger" youth teams like Aue and Chemnitz, with ease. Could possibly have played a role in a Bundesliga team eventually.

He was deemed too small and now ruins his knees weightlifting. It's really sad.
>>
>>67313256
Didnt lewandowski have a rough time coming up the youth system because of his small physique?
>>
File: helen.jpg (101 KB, 770x1107) Image search: [Google]
helen.jpg
101 KB, 770x1107
>>67313254
He could have had has many as he wanted desu.

Poor guy choose to be CL, Spanish and Italian champion multiple times.
Plus he also chose a Swedish wife instead of Thai rimjobs.

Poor guy, so dumb.
>>
>>67313286
You got a problem with Thai rimjobs, Alberto?
>>
>>67313311
No. Just talking about choices in life, m8.
>>
>>67313252
>Peter Crouch

I think you mean Andy Carroll. Crouch can't head the fucking ball.
>>
why is physique even a problem in football, they all throw themselves to the ground the moment they feel contact anyway
>>
>>67313132
Yeah he has always been prolific but in terms of technicality he learnt that later than most players

The English NT keeps underachieving because of poor management and media hype getting to player's heads.

You cannot tell me that the 2010 side wouldn't have been genuine contenders under a different manager. Instead we barely scraped through the group against literal whos and now we are known as dark horses. Pathetic.
>>
Figo was over rated garbage, one of the first stat pad babbys playing in the easiest league in the world to stat pad and desu his stats still weren't that impressive. Where's his euro trophy? World Cup?
>>
>>67313180
Raheem Sterling, Jack Wilshere, Aaron Lennon are all pretty short too

>>67313252
>Take a look at Englands CM's they've always been very limited in terms of technique and vision
Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Gascoigne (who by the way was also pretty short at 5'9"), Carrick, Redknapp, Ince
>>
>>67313324
Peter Crouch has scored more headed goals than any other player in Premier League history
>>
>>67313353
Really? Well fair enough then, he's always seemed to me like a skilful manlet trapped in the body of a giant.
>>
>>67313198
>this flag
>this bullshit
Weren't Villa and Torres about the same height? What about Sheva?
>>
File: 188kevin_grosskreutz.jpg (94 KB, 1175x600) Image search: [Google]
188kevin_grosskreutz.jpg
94 KB, 1175x600
>>67313079
anybody can win a national and international title if he gets carried.
>>
>Where's his euro trophy? World Cup?
>this flag
>>
>>67313331
English NT is underachieving because you don't look past Chelski/Livershit/Arsenal/United/Everton for fucking English players.
>>
>>67313079
>>Why do english teams keep throwing away massive talents because of physique?
because the coaches of youth teams and grassroots teams don't care about the players, they just want to win

easiest way to win a game with kids is to get the biggest guy to go around knocking people over because he's too big.
>>
>>67313174
so a bunch of valencia's on the field?
>>
>>67313346
Lennon and Sterling are more pace babies on the sides.

I'm not saying Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Carrick, Redknapp weren't decent players, but you can't really compare them to the playing style of Eriksen / Veratti / Pirlo / Xavi / Iniesta / Figo / Deco who have the technique and creativity to just open up opposition teams for the strikers.

None of these guys were particular strong or fast as the smaller players in England tend to be - defoe / Sterling / Lennon
>>
Most players aren't going to make it.

For every Vardy they should have given a chance to there are hundreds of shit players that they were right to ditch.
>>
>>67313379
The current starting XI has about 7 players that don't play for those teams.
>>
>>67313399
Whats the best way to fix this do you think?

In Belgium and Denmark we've made "future NT", that's basiccally a youth NT but with players who're talented but dont have a big physique. We are small nations so we can't afford to lose any talent.

A Danish study showed a vast majority of youth players were born in the first quarter of their respective years because they tend to be bigger than those born in november / december.

Do you think the FA should do something similar ?
>>
>>67313198
>Suarez (5'11)
>Aguero (5'8)
>Neymar (5'8)
>Robben (5'11)
>Sanchez (5'7)
>Tevez (5'8)
>Rooney (5'9)
>Griezmann (5'9)

You're talking shit Spain. Elite forwards max out at like 6'2'' (Zlatan being the exception)
>>
>>67313489
>Rooney
kek
>>
Unless he had a late growth spurt, i doubt it was his height that was the problem, seeing as he's actually 1'' above the national average. He's quite skinny though, it was probably his frame that was 'too small'.
>>
>>67313489

and Andy Carroll of course
>>
I thought yuros didn't use feet/inches
>>
>>67313379
Which fits under poor management in the last few years

However in recent terms full respect to Hodgy for going with a young team and hopefully the antics of this season will move the spotlight away from the big teams
>>
>>67313480
Now look at past starting XI's.
>>
>>67313555
Where do you think feet / inches measurement system came from ?
>>
>>67313555
In the UK we use feet and inches for height, metric for measurements of objects and miles for distance.

I have no idea why before you ask.
>>
>>67313574
Is that a trick question? He probably thinks Burgers came up with it.
>>
File: rr.jpg (430 KB, 3000x2248) Image search: [Google]
rr.jpg
430 KB, 3000x2248
>I rate players below 180 cm

t. manlet
>>
Loads of quality players slip through the youth systems of big clubs for various reasons not related to stature; Kevin Phillips, Les Ferdinand, Charlie Austin, Ian Wright, Chris Smalling, Troy Deeney, Dion Dublin, Joe Hart and Yannik Bolasie all started their careers as non-league players
>>
>>67313577
Because Britbongs wanted to be special too but not retarded enough to stick with imperial system for anything relevant.
>>
>>67313565
If say Rhodes were English, would he be on the XI or would he not even be looked at because he's a career Championship player?
>>
>>67313590
t. Fellaini
>>
youth coaches said the same about lewandowski
he was fucking skinny
>>
>>67313609
He'd probably have been given one game against some literally who and then been forgotten about. He should be given more time for Scotland though.

He's also another player who was ditched by a club because he was too lightweight to be a professional footballer.
>>
>>67313609

No Championship player would ever make the team. If Rhodes was English though he'd have already been bought by a PL club by now.
>>
>>67313555

we do

also: Witnessed
>>
>>67313609
see >>67313643
Zaha is a good recent example
>>
>>67313590
t. 190cm
>>
>>67313568
and Germany consists almost entirely of Bayern and Dortmund players; the Spain starting XI in the 2010 World Cup final contained only 1 player who didn't play for Real Madrid or Barcelona

>>67313609
He's not good enough to play for England, scoring goals in the Championship is not a sign of quality; David Nugent and Jay Boothroyd both somehow received England call-ups while playing for Championship sides and were terrible and also failed when they progressed to the Premier League. Michael Chopra was also very prolific in the Championship yet couldn't make the step up to the Premier League
>>
>>67313644
Didn't Nugent make the team back when he was in the championship? I mean he shouldn't have done because he was shit, but i'm sure he was still at Preston.
>>
>>67313155

defoe, owen, kane and vardy are the 4 best strikers in the modern era. i think its extremely poor management that vardy was only called up recently. rooney is pure shit, its a miracle he even plays
>>
>>67313662
>>67313644
Then how do you explain a player like Steve Bull who played for the World Cup team despite being in the then-equivalent of League One?
>>
>>67313662
I honestly think that Rhodes could be as good as Giroud if he got a chance at a higher level.
>>
>>67313654
What happened to Zaha? I remember when he was first sold to United and made England's team. Was he just not good enough?
>>
File: Peter_Crouch_v_Chelsea_2014.jpg (642 KB, 1207x2609) Image search: [Google]
Peter_Crouch_v_Chelsea_2014.jpg
642 KB, 1207x2609
>>67313489
>Elite forwards max out at like 6'2''
um, hello?!
>>
>>67313686
>as good as Giroud
>>
>>67313689
he started promoted weird fetish underwear on the sly.
>>
>>67313079
This is the exact reason why there are very little english players (if at all) in the top 30 current players worldwide.
It's funny because Aguero is unironically one of the best strikers to ever play in english football and he is 5'7 (1,70)
>>
>>67313678

Because he scored 50 goals two seasons in a row. Also it was a different era, and he only got 13 caps.
>>
>>67313678
>26 years ago before the Premier League even existed
There was almost no difference between Division 1 and Division 2 back then, it was completely plausible for a team to win promotion to Division 1 and challenge for the title in their first season (see Norwich, Newcastle, Blackburn, Nottingham Forest in the early Premier League years). In the last 10 years no newly promoted team has ever finished higher than 8th in their first season in the top flight and the overwhelming majority of them struggle against relegation
>>
>>67313698
Well, his style of play is almost exactly like Giroud, so that was the first name that came to mind.
>>
>>67313738
I meant Giroud is shit
>>
>>67313711
>It's funny because Aguero is unironically one of the best strikers to ever play in english football and he is 5'7 (1,70)

Not even top 10 m8
>>
>>67313711
it's funny because you're unironically the least white country to ever exist
>>
>>67313756
I know, I don't expect Rhodes to be world class ever, just capable of playing in a top flight.
>>
>>67313764
>>67313777
>this level of denial
You have to let manlets play la, they unironically dominate the sport
>>
>>67313644
Why would he? Ignoring the fact he's actually English anyway.

Scots have a serious persecution complex
>>
>>67313860
>Ignoring the fact he's actually English anyway.

I wonder if he'd have picked Scotland if he knew Strachan was going to be manager.
>>
File: image.png (187 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
187 KB, 640x1136
>>67313764
You couldn't be more wrong.
>>
>>67313877
I'm not falling for this.
>>
>>67313901
>I'm not falling for evidence, I'll stick to my shitty opinion
Good for you
>>
Griezmann got rejected everywhere in France for being a manlet.

If a Spanish club hadn't noticed him he wouldn't have been a footballer.
>>
>>67313924
It's just too obvious, image.png and a US flag, come on now.
>>
>>67313927
You really need to stop doing this shit.
All the countries that do this suck at football historically, including mine.
>>
>>67313940
Even the Germans do it though.
>>
>>67313935
Aren't you supposed to be naming ten premier league strikers better than Aguero? I wanted a laugh
>>
Reminder Sheffield Wednesday not only rejected Vardy, they rejected a young Eric Cantona as well.
>>
>>67313963
Yes, and they are not the best country at the player level, they just have superior tactics and strategy in their NS.
That's the reason they have to buy a ton of chileans manlets to play for their clubs.
That's the reason why all of europe actually ends up buying a ton of southamerican manlets to even be successful in their own leagues.
It's not that Brazilians or Argentineans or Uruguayans are better players genetically, it's just bad youth training and bad decisions when choosing why should a player be in a youth team or not.
Height doesn't really matter in the attacking positions, and it might not matter even in the midfield.
>>
>>67313964

Henry
Suarez
Shearer
RVN
Owen
Drogba
Andy Cole
Rooney
RVP
Torres
>>
>>67314146
>Rooney
I'm not falling for this
>>
File: 1462077408669.jpg (37 KB, 700x550) Image search: [Google]
1462077408669.jpg
37 KB, 700x550
>>67314146
>Rooney
>Torres
>Andy Cole
>The city of Owen
>Henry
Good meme
>>
>>67313940

I agree, Argie amigo. My brother was a pace babby but had a lot of defensive awareness and got rejected at Morelia for having a small frame. A country with an average height of 5'5~ rejecting players for being small. That's why Mexico will never win anything relevant.
>>
Honestly, I've never understood this mentality. It's much easier to get bigger than it is to get more skilful. If you've got a dedicated lad who's shit hot you get him to eat a bit more and lift while he's at the academy, you don't drop him
>>
>>67313577
>not using kiloinches or centimiles

do you even bong?
>>
>>67314318
This.
Look at Maradona, he is really small, but his balance was world class, he rarely got drop, even when heavily injured
>>
>>67314170
>Rooney
From 2004-2011, he was elite, a much better and more complete forward than Aguero
>Torres
Best striker in the world in his prime. Aguero has never been this.
>Andy Cole
Joint record holder for most goals in a single PL season, and the 3rd highest scorer ever in the league
>The city of Owen
How many Ballon d'Ors does Aguero have?
>Henry
Literally the 2nd best striker of the modern era behind R9. To even suggest Aguero is as good or anywhere near him is hilarious.
>>
>>67314170
meme all you want but prime Torres was goat and Henry was one of the best if not the best striker in the Premiership.
>>
File: Literal Who's.png (10 KB, 480x185) Image search: [Google]
Literal Who's.png
10 KB, 480x185
>>67314373
>Rooney
LMAO
>Torres
LMAOING AT YOUR LIFE
>Andy Cole
muh stat padding
>Owen
pic related, explains itself
>Henry
That's just bullshit. He was a great player, but to suggest he is the second best striker behind Ronaldo is just memeing.
He might be better than Aguero, i give you that
>>
>>67314552

You're obviously a 2010s babby, so I'm not even gonna bother
>>
>>67314587
You are obviously a "muh height" faggot that can't even pass the ball and thinks he is good at soccer.
btw, both Owen and Rooney are manlets, so my point remains the same
>>
>sergio "can't score against teams that aren't in the bottom half" aguero
>good

Just tune in tomorrow to see when he does nothing.
>>
>>67314710
Capped
>>
>>67314654

When did i mention height once?
>>
>>67314735
My point was about height, that's the whole point of the thread rasheed
>>
>>67313079
Because shitty rich mid tier teams like Liverpool will spend 40 million pounds on Andy Carroll.
>>
>>67313674
>pure shit
Nope, Rooney doesn't have the legs to play up front anymore but there's a reason he's England's top scorer.
>Inb4 other strikers never had a chance
He's been paired with shit like Peter Crouch and Darren Bent as well as Defoe and other also rans. They've all been complete shit literally and before the emergence of Vardy and Kane literally Welbeck was England's great striking hope.
He's not at fault for literally being the lone striker when his best position has always been as a number 10.
The main problem is that England stuck to long with the notion of muh Gerrard and Lampard need to play because muh world class midfielders.
Lampard was a goal hanger and Gerrard didn't have the discipline or felt the need to track back. Yes he could tackle but the reason he has to is because he's always in the wrong position all the fucking time.
Carrick is a much better midfielder than Gerrard but he gets plaudits because of muh blooters once in a blue moon.
>>
>>67313481
It's more the mindset in the coaching - get the coaches to realise their job isn't winning but harnessing the potential of their players.
>>
>>67313690
>elite
kek, he was a good meme for about 2 seasons
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.