[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, since there are tens of threads about the league syste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Mancini-Manchester-City[1].jpg (657 KB, 2285x1714) Image search: [Google]
Mancini-Manchester-City[1].jpg
657 KB, 2285x1714
Okay, since there are tens of threads about the league system being boring, let's talk about why the most exciting league finishes are better than the most exciting cup finishes.

Even diehard Leicester fans would probably agree that the way they won the league was a bit anticlimactic. But leagues have the potential to be a lot more exciting than cup competitions, because in a knockout format you're never in a position where 1 goal is the difference between winning and not winning a title. In a knockout competition the most exciting thing you can hope for is to be in a position where 1 goal is the difference between overtime and winning, or the difference between overtime and losing. In a league format you can be put in a position where scoring means you win the competition, failing to score means you don't win it.

See Aguero vs QPR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3yq0J2qT9w
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAZK5PpOZOQ
>>
I guess this thread will die because it contains too many words for your average American
>>
>>67309679
Objectively the greatest finish ever.
>>
>>67309782
I prefer the City one desu, maybe it's because I watched it live and didn't watch the Arsenal one live
>>
>>67309584
>Aguero vs QPR

This type of league finish is incredibly rare though, there's a reason why people never shut up about it. It's pretty common to see the league wrapped up a few weeks in advance, sometimes through the other team choking. There's just something more exciting about a head-to-head game to determine the winner. My favorite system is a hybrid of the two, like what they had in the pre-1980s MLB:

-Two leagues (American League and National League), two league tables
-The team with the best record wins the league
-The league winners play against one another to determine the national champion

This way you don't lose the importance of the regular season. This obviously couldn't work in the Premier League, though, since you'd have to split it in two and I can't think of a way of doing it that makes any sense (North-South?).
>>
>>67309733
It's 3AM on a weekday, nobody is up except for night workers, NEETs, and students
>>
Americasuals who only paid attention to the end of this season would naturally think the league finish is boring but really that's only because it was locked up a few weeks early and all the games weren't played at the same time because of >muh tv shekels. If they had played the game at the same time Hazard's goal would have been incredibly dramatic. Man City's title win a few years back was one of the craziest things I've seen.

Really most Americans shitposting here just think it's boring because they want playoffs, which is fine, it's dramatic, but it's much harder to win a league over the course of a year and all the games for Leicester mattered
>>
>>67309873
Champions League. There's a reason its the most prestigious.
>>
>>67309901
Yes, and that reason isn't because of the format of the competition, it's because it's the only major European competition
>>
>>67309873
That's pretty much what the Champions League is.
>>
Thanks for restoring my faith in Americans guys, I can go to work a slightly less bitter man
>>
>>67309916
It's what it was, back when they only let the league champions play and the tournament was much shorter. Now you have 32 teams from leagues all over Europe, nearly all of whom finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 5th.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.