[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>team X plays team Y >team Z wins the championship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 20
File: 1453414213925.png (64 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1453414213925.png
64 KB, 396x400
>team X plays team Y
>team Z wins the championship
>>
>>67308207
>i literally cannot grasp the concept of point accumulation

t. average american citizen
>>
File: oh look.jpg (40 KB, 460x500) Image search: [Google]
oh look.jpg
40 KB, 460x500
>>
>>67308207
USA USA USA
>>
Man americans are obsessed with soccer as the world are obsessed with americans.
>>
>>67308226
I don't like that a team that literally sits at home watching TV wins a championship and that somehow means I don't understand point accumulation.

For someone who likes to call out people on their intelligence, you sure like to assume a lot of things.
>>
>>67308207
>handegg
>11 minutes playtime

>apehoop
>niggers running about, Americans love it

>boreball
>boreball

why do Americans have such shit taste lmao
>>
USA USA USA
>>
Sad desu
>>
Why is it such a big deal that a team won?

Is soccer actually that shitty and predictable that it's crazy for an underdog to win? Are there never any upsets?
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 769x769) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 769x769
>>67308743
Almost never, Yuropean leagues do not have any parity regulations. Rich teams hoard all of the good players and money.
>>
>>67308743
Yes its corruption because oil niggers by all the best players
>>
>>67308743
Europoors have no concept of parity or competition outside maybe top 3 teams. Doesn't help that all their teams are owned by giant sandmonkey oil barons who use their cash to assert their monopoly.

They don't do playoffs/championships either because there is an increased chance that a small team might fuck them up and end up winning.
>>
yuropoors btfo
>>
>>67308743
The Premier League has been around for 23 years.

Manchester United have been champions thirteen fucking times, and the four other teams with a title had to spend billions of dollars they didn't have to get there.
>>
>team A plays team B
>team C makes the playoffs

Wtf!?
>>
>>67308956
Making the playoffs is different from actually being the championship. And if you need a team to lose in order to make the playoffs then you'll probably get eliminated quickly.
>>
>>67308743
This is like the Browns winning the Super Bowl with RG3 next season, or like the 76ers winning the NBA championship or like Canada being a relevant country

It's almost impossible
>>
>>67308956
making the playoffs is not winning the league. to win the league, team A must play team B and only team A or team B can win. no draw, no team C winning
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 342x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 342x465
>>67308956
>TEAM C CAPTURES THE HEARTS OF MILLIONS WITH A MIRACLE RUN A WINS THE WHOLE CHAMPIONSHIP UPSETTING THE NUMBER 1 SEED IN THE PROCESS

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
>>
>LGTSS
>Europe
Wewmao tbhfampatchi
>>
The funniest part of this is when americans defend their retarded commie """parity""" system as if it isn't fucking laughable
>>
>Team A overwhelmingly wins the most games in Amerifat "season" where everyone does not play everyone else
>Team B is awarded a playoff spot despite being maybe the 8th best team in the league
>Team A flukes out to Team C
>Team B never plays or beats Team A but wins a couple games at the end and is considered the "best" team
>>
>>67309092
Team A should have got good
>>
so if you are sitting at home watching other teams play and you win the championship

when do you get your trophy? do you even get a trophy?
>>
>>67309051
So you like watching a sport dominated by 1-3 ultra rich teams every year? this is the premier league's first underdog winner since its inception. every major league in the U.S.A. has had multiple underdog winners. sports arent interesting when the outcome is predestined 99 out of 100 times
>>
>>67308971
this... not even comparable
>>
>>67309136

>this is the premier league's first underdog winner since its inception

it's time to stop talking about football fella
>>
>>67309126
you get to watch a trophy ceremony from home and celebrate from there.

gosh you americans are so dumb..
>>
>>67309144
It's very comparable because it's literally the exact same mechanic.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 235x235
>>67308254
Because you clearly dont understand how point accumulation works you stupid fuck.

Leicester won the title today because 2nd place Tottenham HAD to win their match today in order to secure a full 3 points. By drawing with Chelsea and only gaining 1 point, Tottenham were no longer mathematically able to surpass Leicester in total points over the rest of the season.

Shut up. You're embarassing the rest of us.
>>
>>67308979
It would be unlikely but not impossible.

Upsets happen in actual sports, played by actual countries that aren't backwards and poor.
>>
>>67309201
And that changes the fact that a team that sits at home won the championship how?

That literally does nothing to disqualify my statement.
>>
>>67309210
>canada
>actual country
>not poor
>not backwards
>relevant in any way
kek
>>
>>67309244
A team that was sat at home *when* they won the championship.
They won it over 36 games.
>>
>>67308252
new to the site?
>>
>>67309244
It does but you're retarded so who cares what you think pal
>>
>>67308971
Yeah because the 2007 Giants were well inside the playoffs and didn't just barely squeak in
>>
>>67309244
You're dumb as fuck or just purposely ignoring what I just stated.

Go actually play a sport before you decide to talk about one you weeb.
>>
i really wish they'd make a soccer board

god damn do i hate seeing this shit
>>
USA USA USA
>>
>>67309298
You are cancer, please leave.
>>
>>67309314
funny thats how i feel about soccer
>>
>>67309244
Holy crap just shut up, retard
>>
>>67308979
I feel like this is more like Alabama coming up and Winning the Super Bowl.

Leagues with playoffs have a much easier path for upsets. Good if you want drama, bad if you want to actually crown the most deserving champion.
>>
>>67309277
>>67308254

That was what I said in my original post. A team that is sitting at home won a championship due to the outcome of another game they were not immediately involved in.

Didn't think I'd need to elaborate too much on that.

>>67309290
>I called him a retard again! That'll show him!
>>
>>67309327
>again
'no'
kys
>>
File: 1438104046525.gif (879 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1438104046525.gif
879 KB, 245x230
>>67309327
>being this cognitively inept
>>
>>67309348
>>67309321
>>67309290

All this butthurt at nothing but statements of facts. It's almost sad.
>>
>>67309147
I wasn't talking about football. I was talking about soccer lad.
>>
>>67309314
That has been the sentiment on /sp/ for years. Who the fuck are you?
>>
>>67309355
>>67309348
>>67309321
>>67309294
>>67309290
>>67309277
you retards are missing the point entirely. we all understand how the EPL scoring works, that's not the problem. the problem is that the champions didn't even have to play a championship game. I know you think that every game of the season counts as part championship game because it all adds up in the end, but thats boring as fuck. how can you seriously enjoy a sport that doesn't have one final, conclusive battle in which the 2 last teams standing fight until there is a clear winner and champion? its fucking awful. I've been trying to get into EPL all year and its just so goddamn lame. the world cup is the only time soccer is fun because it follows a playoff format
>>
>muh logical championship system at the expense of entertainment and interest and drama

wew this sport will literally never take off here
>>
>>67309613
>what is the Champions League
>>
>>67309613
a play off rewards the best team in a handful of games
a league rewards the consistently best team
>>
>>67309210
it's clearly not impossible seeing how Leicester won you fucking cunt

what sport do you have btw? Hockey right? the same sport that we ALWAYS cuck you in? useless fucking country you are bitch
>>
>>67309692
and thats super boring. just the other day in apehoop, the team with the 7th best record took the team with 2nd best record to the last second of the last game. the possibility of that lower ranked team playing their hearts out and ending the higher ranked team's season is exciting. its dramatic, it creates a lot of tension that everything is on the line in this game and if the higher seed slips up they'll get upset. how do you recreate that maximum intensity in EPL?
>>
>>67309613
>Champions League
>>
>>67309721
>AGUEROOOOO
>>
>>67309721
you're clearly obsessed and trap minded in your bubble, so just watch the UEFA Champions League for your knockout comforts and short attention span and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>67309765
>you're clearly obsessed and trap minded in your bubble
oh the ironing
>>
File: 1462230071904.jpg (28 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
1462230071904.jpg
28 KB, 615x409
>>67309320
>mfw due to the BASED EUROS you've still got 12 nonstop months of weekly cultural enrichment
>>
File: 1449038601203.png (1 MB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1449038601203.png
1 MB, 600x600
>>67309755

Fucking this. Besides, Leicester fans were getting that euphoric feeling of David beating Goliath every fucking week they stayed at the top spot. Every week they survived and dealt with all the doubt makes Monday night that much more special.

So to say there was no exciting moment, no tension etc. is fucking stupid because there was 36 weeks of it.
>>
>>67309786
no memes fag, you got destroyed. fuck outta here and go back to your multiple points per score, ad filled, non free flow play, cookie cutter """sports"""
>>
File: image.png (490 KB, 505x489) Image search: [Google]
image.png
490 KB, 505x489
>team P plays team D
>team M slurps semen

>English "football"
>>
File: dADAd.png (340 KB, 560x528) Image search: [Google]
dADAd.png
340 KB, 560x528
>>
>>67309829
>no memes fag, you got destroyed.
lol I was saying that it's ironic, you telling me I'm trapped in a mindset. i spent the whole season watching EPL trying to be unbiased and enjoy it, and it just doesnt compare. you're the one trapped in a mindset. >you got destroyed
>>
>>67309712
>the same sport that we ALWAYS cuck you in?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2010_Winter_Olympics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2002_Winter_Olympics
>>
>>67309849
>team z scores, team b scores seconds later
>ad plays everywhere in between

or

>team f makes a play of 2 seconds
>commercial break and stats report

or

>team d throws ball and team c misses all of them
>10 hours long

American "sports"
>>
>>67309869
sure it doesn't bub. Leicester defying odds every fucking week, making it to Champions League and winning the Prem doesn't compare to 5 seconds till next score apehoop.

sure. you keep losing and you keep coming back for more.
>>
>>67309877
>this one self hating american instantly responding to every negative post and shitting up the thread
i can almost taste your seething anger
>>
>>67309898
>get btfo
>n-no
nice argument
>>
>>67309721
>its dramatic, it creates a lot of tension that everything is on the line in this game and if the higher seed slips up they'll get upset
Literally every game in a league system like the EPL, every game matters. Also similar in to what College Football tries to sound like, there's just too many teams in CFB for them to all actually play each other.
>>
>>67309905
>seething anger
lol

>>67309917
it's cute that you try to put the btfo on me, when it was you who got btfo. now go watch those fatties play handegg or lebron sink some balls.
>>
Maybe OP was too busy getting shot in "math" class to understand how a points system works
>>
>>67309917
he literally gave an argument and you just typed greentexts lol
>>
>>67309941
but its not condensed, its super spread out to the point that eventually a 7th ranked team has no chance of pulling off an upset. in a 7 game elimination series, a team can be down 3-0 and still technically come back if they play their best for 4 straight games. its not over until the very last second of the very last game. in a 38 week league, by the time week 30 comes around the 7th ranked team is usually too far behind to win the league or place 2nd. this is reinforced even more by the fact that the 7th ranked team is not directly competing with the 2nd ranked team. they may play each other once or twice but for the most part even if the 7th ranked team wins all of its remaining games, it doesnt matter since the 2nd ranked team can win all its games and keep the lead too. the lack of direct competition as well as the lack of potential late upsets make it a fucking borefest towards the end of the season
>>
>>67309917

What? You're the one that didn't make an argument
>>
>>67309958
Why do Brits keep saying this? Hockey has a points system too. That way of doing things is known in the US, it's just not as common. It should be clear to anybody with a brain that pitting the best teams in the league against each other to determine the champion is what competition is all about and when the best moments in sports happen
>>
>>67310024
But the "best teams in the league" play each other multiple times in a season.
>>
>>67310017
>>67309994
>>67309957
>>67309941
>>67309917
>>67309898
>>67309869
>>67309829
this is the currently the most pathetic conversation on /sp/
>>
>>67308207
>he talks shit
>he gets banged
>>
>>67310001

This is where you're wrong. Lets use Liverpool (7th) for example. They weren't mathematically eliminated till just a few weeks ago. That's because each win gives you 3 points and if you were in 7th place and somehow won 24 straight points to end the season, you'd probably end up in top 3 with a chance of winning it all.

The gap between 1st and 7th or even 8th isn't always as big as you might think
>>
>>67310024
So...the Champions League.

Why can people not understand that there is a very clear distinction between domestic champion which is rewarded to the most consistent team all year, and cup champion
>>
>>67310001
>fucking borefest towards end of season

what is

>current La Liga
>Leicester JUST clinching it now, at end of season
>what is relegation battles
>what is fighting for CL spots
>>
>>67310054
....you just said what I said though. I said week 30, you said a few weeks ago which is week 33. in elimination brackets its the equivalent of it coming down to week 38. and you also said that winning every game for the rest of the season only puts them in the top 3, whereas in an elimination bracket winning every remaining games means you win.
>>
>>67310001
Not necessarily true because you get 0 for a loss and 3 for a win. Leicester could have very easily bottled it if they started losing games. But they were incredibly consistent all season and that is why they won the domestic championship. If you want the drama of a playoff system then watch the CL, which will have all the best teams in England playing the other best teams in Europe.

You're also assuming that the lower ranked teams are not still fighting for CL spots, Europa spots, to avoid relegation, etc.
>>
>Amerifat leagues take up to 160 meanigless games just to get to the playoffs
>>
>>67310096
BUT SOCCER WEEKS TAKES TOO LONG BRO. POINTS WTF ELIMINATIONS LOL
>>
>>67310058
Why are you still saying I don't understand? Are you so full of yourself that you literally just can not believe that an American could comprehend this "insanely intricate" system you guys have? It's much simpler than any American playoff/championship system

Fact is that England's champion is named with no playoffs round or anything. Seems kind of anti-climactic
>>
OP here, I actually didn't know Champion's League and that shit was a thing. I like the World Cup for its playoff atmosphere, I think I'll just stick to watching the tournaments and skip the league seasons since that format just doesn't interest me. So Leicester will be in the next CL right?
>>
>>67310132
>Seems kind of anti-climactic
apparently only to retarded americlaps
>>
Why do americans never take the time to research a topic and instead make retarded comments about concepts they don't understand?

>american education

It scares me that you stupid fucks have nukes
>>
>Team X wins every game up to the championship
>Team Y is a literal wildcard who scraped by with six losses
>Team X loses, Team Y are "the best" team of the season
Why are Amerifat sports so boring, shitty and retarded?
>>
>>67310143
top 4 teams go champions league, 5th and cup winners (or 5th-7th if cup winners are in the top 4 in the premier league) go europa league
>>
>>67310179
Why would you be scared? They're so stupid that they'll nuke themselves before they nuke North Korea.
>>
File: australia.webm (3 MB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
australia.webm
3 MB, 640x350
>>67310179
>this flag
>this post
>>
>>67310179
They pride themselves in ignorance after all.
>>
I think the thing that might help some yanks ITT is to think that they haven't actually won the title yet, it's just become 100% certain that they will

They'll 'win' the title after the last game of the season when the trophy gets presented to them
>>
>>67310190
>american OP makes retarded post about EPL which he clearly hasn't taken the time to understand how their scoring system works
>hurr durr you're a shitposter xd

American "logic"
>>
>>67310175
I know it's hard to accept that your way of doing things is stupid because you have to hold onto the last shreds of >muh tradition you guys have in your country, but the fact remains that a playoff system is better and brings a new dimension to the game where everything is magnified and exciting. Just the facts lad
>>
>>67310203
Logic doesn't exist in America.
Neither does "logic".
They're literally just brain dead
>>
>>67310211
>the best team of the year wasn't the unbeaten team, it was the team that won only three games and fluked the playoffs because of refball
>THIS IS WHAT MURIFATS BELIEVE
>>
Holy shit, how are people are still replying to the guys bait? I expect much better from you guys
>>
>>67310181
how is that not exciting to you? upsets are the best part of sports, thats what leicester is just drawn out over a 40 week season. a shit team with unlikely odds to win it all that beat whatever better competition they face and shock the world. playoffs just condense that so it happens once every 2 years instead of once every 20
>>
>>67310132
Because you keep posting the same thing over and over again and somehow fail to comprehend the fact that European football systems have multiple domestic and international (or European) competitions, so domestic league champion is not the be-all-end-all. There are also domestic cups and Champions League Cups.

If you think playoffs are better then watch the fucking Champions League because it is literally what you are describing, yet you're still bitching that a team gets rewarded for being the most consistent and best team in its league over the course of an entire season.
>>
>>67310211
>I know it's hard to accept that your way of doing things is stupid

This is the same country which still uses THE FUCKING IMPERIAL SYSTEM
>>
>>67310223
>Holy shit, how are people are still replying to the guys bait?

Its not bait, americans are genuinely that fucking stupid
>>
>Americucks complaining when you literally pick who you want to play in the title games
>>
>>67310227
You're still saying I don't comprehend it tho...why is that?

Are you saying that the Champion of the Bank Premier League is decided after a round of playoffs? Cuz it's not...

Also why do you guys bash playoffs one second and then bring it up the next?
>>
>>67310211
Sporting culture is different here than in the US, sports in the US are more of a product delivered to maximise clean and plastic entertainment whereas sports here are more of a community thing where tradition is important

Football here doesn't need a big climax because it's grown to be a ongoing fact of life due to its long history rather than designed by a group of rich people coming together and working out how to make the best product

It's just a different way of doing things, enjoy your life and don't get too angry about how others enjoy theirs
>>
File: 1458950779403.jpg (63 KB, 592x492) Image search: [Google]
1458950779403.jpg
63 KB, 592x492
>be American
>get shot while eating a pizza box in the bath with your red cups on
>>
File: 1454104433729.jpg (112 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1454104433729.jpg
112 KB, 800x800
>>67310240
>>67310231
>>67310223
>>67310221
>>67310214
>>67310203
>>67310181
>>67310179
>mfw the worst shitposters on 4chan are getting some of their own medicine
never seen australia triggered before i didnt think it was possible
>>
>>67310269

>I-I-I'm just pretending to be retarded

That damage control
>>
>>67310267
>get shot while eating a pizza box in the bath with your red cups on
I genuinely have no idea what this means.
>>
>>67310269

There's a difference between purposefully shitposting and being genuinely retarded you fat fuck.

Americans aren't shitposting, they are genuinely that fucking stupid
>>
>>67309721
The team with the 9th best record literally just ended the team with the 2nd best records season and the whole thing turned into a shit show because of it and it was amazing to watch so your point is retarded
>>
File: 745.png (211 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
745.png
211 KB, 327x316
>>67310276
>be murican
>get 9/11'd by mexicans in the pool with shoes on your guns
>get vietnammed by liberal McDonalds shills
YOU CAN'T
MAKE
THIS
SHIT
UP
>>
>>67310264
I don't really care, honestly. I see the good points of the way you guys do it, I just prefer our way, even with the Jews overhyping a 'meme player A vs. meme player B in le biggest matchup in history stay tuned for American Idol after the game' series to squeeze every nickel out of it. It's still more exciting and dramatic and intense which I think is the point of competition in my opinion

I just like role playing as an arrogant obnoxious American sometimes because fuck you cucks we're better than you XP
>>
>>67310288
but they didnt win anything. they dont move on to anything else, they just took someone else down with them
>>
still looking forward to who will get a champions league spot and also to who will be religated
>>
Why not just draw the champions name out of a hat? It makes it exciting, and it stops silly things like being rewarded for consistency. Best of all you could get a celebrity to do it to get more advertising revenue
>>
>>67310306
unironically agree with this idea
>>
>>67310211
>but the fact remains that a playoff system is better
It isn't though.
>>
>>67310299
Neither does a 7 seed winning one series
>>
>>67310306
better yet, why don't they make every team submit a commercial and the one with the best one becomes champion
>>
>>67310306
This is literally how NCAA football did it for 100 years
>>
>>67310313
What? Yes they absolutely do. They move on to the next round, where they have another chance to win the series, and then another chance to win the series, etc. The 7th seed is not dead until they lose 4 games in a series, as long as they keep winning they can make it all the way to the championship and win.
>>
File: 1408499632258.jpg (29 KB, 640x688) Image search: [Google]
1408499632258.jpg
29 KB, 640x688
Do Britfags even understand how tournament brackets work?
>>
Picture the entire European league system like the NFL. The Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Lugar are like the conferences. Leicester won their conference and have qualified for the playoff system, which is next season's Champions League, the final of which we can say is equivalent to the Super Bowl.
>>
>>67310325
>pretending winning a series is a huge deal just to keep up a retarded argument

Has a 7th seed ever won an nba title?
>>
The MLB literally used to do this back when Pennants actually meant something.
>>
>>67310362
We get it. It's just gay that your country's champion is decided while that team is sitting inside slurping each other's baby gravy from each other's cocks
>>
Bro I don't give a motherfuckin shit did you see the last goal? Hazard scored on him like a mofo.
>>
>>67310373
I'm not saying it's a huge deal, I'm saying it's a chance to stay alive, which the 7th seed in EPL format does not have. And yes the Houston Rockets won as a 7th seed once. I'm not even trying to be a dick I'm trying to have a genuine argument, I don't know why you think it's retarded when everything I've said so far is pretty reasonable.
>>
>>67310388
Eden Hazard's clutch goal to send the game into a tie against the Spurs sure was a riveting moment in last night's match
>>
>>67310382

Our country is a lot smaller than yours, so there's no need for a regular seas on followed by playoffs. Plus there are multiple playoff tournaments, such as the league cup and FA Cup. The maximum number of games and NFL team plays in a season is 19, for anow English football team it's over 50.
>>
File: iu1f7brY_400x400.png (267 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
iu1f7brY_400x400.png
267 KB, 400x400
>>67310382
>>67310362
Finally a Britfag who makes some sense.

So, winning the EPL is like winning the division. And they earn the right to move on to the next competition.
>>
>>67310413
What does the amount of NFL games have to do with anything? Baseball has 162 games and there's playoffs. Basketball has 82 plus playoffs. Why is any of this relevant?
>>
>>67310467

Yup, pretty much, it's just that the playoffs are at a continental level rather than national.
>>
Yes, this is because of the specific format of a club league.
See, in this kind of competition all teams will play a total of 2 games against eachother: one game at their home stadium, another game in the other team's stadium.
The goal is simple: whichever team has the most points at the end of the season will be crowned champions.
But now the hard part will start for you. Because there is no play-off system, you need to be able to track other team's performances at the same time in order to calculate a team's chances to win the title. It will take some practice to wrap your head around it.
As the season draws to a close, the amount of games -and thus the amount of points to be won- will be limited. This slims down the number of possible scenario's. A given team may have gained a significant lead in points that exceeds the maximum amount of points the second-ranked team can accumulate over the remaining games. In this context, team A can be crowned champions if team B fails to win the minimum amount of points to keep their mathematical possibilities of winning the title real.
I know this is a lot to process right now, but soon enough you'll get a hang of it. Good luck, Amerifriend!
>>
>>67308743
if something with 5000/1 odds actually happens then that is a big deal
>>
Winning the championship based on points is retarded, not having a salary cap is retarded, pro/rel is retarded, and the """Australians""" in this thread above my post are a fucking embarrassment.
>>
>>67310755
>Winning the championship based on points is retarded,
If you don't care about consistent performance, there are at least one national and one international cup competition.

>salary cap
>communism in sport

>pro/rel is retarded
>consequences for good/bad performance are retarded
What.
>>
>>67309613
The champions played 36 championship games you autist
>>
>team comes 7th in league
>enters playoff
>wins
>the whole regular season was a waste of time
AMERICAN """"""""""""""""""""SPORTS"""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>67309613
>how can you seriously enjoy a sport that doesn't have one final, conclusive battle in which the 2 last teams standing fight until there is a clear winner and champion?
How can you enjoy a sport where most of the matches don't mean anything and if you win or lose it doesn't matter because you're as likely as any other team to win in the end?
>>
>>67308793
While it's true to a point, what makes is slightly possible for any team in EPL to win the premiership (premiership, people, not championship. That shit is reserved to loserpool when they drop from EPL) is that all 20 team get equal TV revenue.

The champion (lester) get roughly 90 million pound while the worst team (villa) get around 65 million pound. It's not like Leliga where halal and barca get 90 percent of tv revenue while the rest 18 teams get shit
>>
>be american team X
>get shot before even playing team Y
>>
>american fails at basic arithmetic

nothing to see here lads
>>
File: nba-attendance-drops1.jpg (77 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
nba-attendance-drops1.jpg
77 KB, 600x360
>>67311205
>How can you enjoy a sport where most of the matches don't mean anything
they don't, the only games that have any noticeable attendance are playoff games

americucks are the biggest gloryhunters ever
>>
These ameritards would have had no objection if the order of the two matches was reserved.

Wait, no. I could have imagined them
>draw
>win title
>>
If Leicester won the Premier League, and the season is over, why do that have upcoming Premier League matches? I dont understand soccer.
>>
>>67311993
to determine who finishes where in the table
>>
>>67311993
Because other teams have something to play for
>>
File: green_toad.png (130 KB, 396x381) Image search: [Google]
green_toad.png
130 KB, 396x381
>it's an american """"""""pretending"""""""" to be retarded episode
>>
>>67308207
Can't we just ban amerifats from /sp/? This is a euroboard pls leave
>>
>>67308310
>being a Yuroboo faggot

That's even worse than just being from Yurop
>>
>>67309712
Yes, it only took them 130 years to do it. That must justify the entire horrible system the brit bongs have.

Give me a fucking break.
>>
>>67312049
What's to play for? They already lost, might as well just stop playing and let the standings be what they are.
>>
>>67313006
>several tiers so all levels of teams can be competitive
>reward good performance with promotion, punish poor performance with relegation
>several cup competitions so teams can have a good run in a knockout format outside of the league
as opposed to:
>one tier of franchises run solely for TV shekels
>communist draft system that encourages teams having a poor season to tank
>>
>>67313048
>What's to play for?
Relegation and places in european competition next season
>>
>>67313048
relegation battle and CL/EL places
>>
Inb4 he asks what "regulation" is.
>>
>>67313006
We have more than 32 teams playing our sport mate and you haven't even had all of those become 'World Champions' yet.

MUH PARITY
>>
>>67313063
>Reward the rich and powerful teams with more money and power while punishing the poor the teams with less money and skilled players or kicking them out of the league
>Poor teams are forced to agree to this system
because it's the only way they have a chance
>Not having a playoff system to end the season.
As opposed to:
>Strict systems to keep every team competitive in the long term
>Proper playoff system that rewards teams that play well consistently and under pressure
>Parity where poorer preforming teams have access to new players first to address their largest needs.
>>
>>67313116
>Strict systems to keep every team competitive in the long term
>Parity where poorer preforming teams have access to new players first to address their largest needs.

Why have 13 of the NFLs 32 teams not won the Superb Owl then mate?
>>
>>67313116
>Proper playoff system that rewards teams that play well consistently
This is a good iea. They should play say... 38 games to make sure it is a good sample size, worthy of crowning someone the best team in the country

>and under pressure
Another good idea, maybe there should be a significant punishment for continued failure to ensure they don't purposely lose matches?
>>
>>67313116
>Proper playoff system that rewards teams that play well consistently and under pressure
Alternatively it is a system that makes most of the season irrelevant and only makes a couple of results actually relevant
>>
>>67308207

>Stanford beats Notre Dame
>Oklahoma gets into the playoffs

>Texas Rangers beat St. Louis Cardinals THREE times in the World Series
>St. Louis wins

Every sport is filled with arbitrary distinctions of who wins and who loses. Any sport that utilizes regular seasons to define who gets into the playoffs does the same thing. Any sport that utilizes a "Best of" method of securing victory is equally inane.
>>
>soccer thread
>80% of the thread is t. amerifat and australian shitposting

I dont even get why my europoors mates dare answering to this bait
>>
>>67308226
>0-0ball
>>
>>67313294
I started a troll thread like this after Leicester tied Man U and got 100+ replies. I love soccer and don't give a shit about ties but I thought it'd be a fun troll thread and it was.

I'm positive 3/4 of the Americans that post about hating soccer are trolling.
>>
>>67313129
Because management and coaching actually matters too.

>>67313153
Yes, it's called job security where players are much more likely to be cut if they preform badly. And even getting a high pick in the draft doesn't translates to getting a great player.

>>67313189
Actually it adds even more tension to the season since it makes just getting into the playoffs a journey.
>>
>>67313276
>Texas Rangers beat St. Louis Cardinals THREE times in the World Series
>St. Louis wins
That's because you need to win FOUR times. If you can't put the other team away when they only have 1 strike left. TWICE, you don't deserve to win it all.
>>
>>67313335
Absolutely, the yuropoors do the same thing and I'm about to do it right now.

If you ask me, the Brits are the ones who gave Leicester 5000-1 odds, doesn't that show how dramatic and retarded they are? I mean it's not like Leicester started the season with a worse record than everyone else, it's not like they started every game down by 1. They just played a sport and it happened to go well for them, I don't understand where so much doubt came from except that they hasn't ever won it before
>>
>>67313387
>I don't understand where so much doubt came from
the fact that they almost got relegated last year?
>>
>>67313382

>implying the need to win FOUR times isn't totally fucking arbitrary

If it was a best of five series, Texas is World Series Champs. Why is four the magic number? 100 years ago you needed five to win. In certain rounds of the playoffs, you only need three to win. Except other rounds of the playoffs which you only need one to win.

How is any of that not stupidly fucking arbitrary?

>That's because you need to win FOUR times. If you can't put the other team away when they only have 1 strike left. TWICE, you don't deserve to win it all.
I could just as easily say "if you can't put the other team away over the course of five games, you don't deserve to win it all" and use that argument to say that Texas should have won instead of St. Louis

The point is that best of 7 series are just as anticlimactic, arbitrary and retarded as leagues that anoint winners based on points values.
>>
>>67313451
>anointing winners based on points value is arbitray
>>
>>67313451
Because a best of 7 gives a a better idea of the depth and skills of a team, especially for baseball since it allows all the starting pitchers a chance.
>>
>>67313413
Ok so what? Do soccer teams who are about to be relegated usually give up so you literally believe big foot could exist before they win the league? Were the odds created by a Brit who doesn't realize teams change in the off season?
>>
>>67313466
>appointing winners based on if another team ties the 2nd place team is entertaining
>>
Yuroslurpers eternally blown the fuck out
>>
>>67313552

Why do you keep repeating this like it's the only reason leicester won the league?
>>
>>67313466

Yes. It is.

Why is a win worth 3 points and a draw worth 1? Why is a 7-0 drubbing worth the same amount of points as a 1-0 victory won with a bullshit penalty. Sure there's goal differential, but based on the primary method of determining victories, a team that wins 5 games by 1 goal each is a "better" team than one that wins 4 games by 5 goals each and then is refballed in the fifth.

The value to which points are allotted to wins, draws and losses is arbitrary. That doesn't make it bad, but it's true.

>>67313507
Because a best of 7 gives a a better idea of the depth and skills of a team, especially for baseball since it allows all the starting pitchers a chance.

Why don't they just do a Best of 162 game season if you really want to show off depth and skills, and then base the winner off of who won the most games?

Oh wait.
>>
>team A and team B draw
>flip a coin
>team A wins, goes on offence
>team A scores
>game is over

Lets also not forgot that a team can be crowned champions of the NFL without playing every team throughout the season. Teams change divisions and schedules are created with the purpose of bringing in more revenue and you fat fucks eat it up. Your league is literally rigged and no one bats an eye yet you're here questioning the fairness of a league where every team plays every team twice both home and away and the champion is decided based on which team does the best throughout that season.

Top kek
>>
>>67308207
>One person gets the majority of votes
>Another person gets elected president
>>
>>67313596
Because the season is meant to decide who makes the playoffs.

After that, it's a match up between the two teams where they play enough to actually get a good feel for their skill sets.

Also what's funny is the fact that Baseball's regular season produced a better day than anything in Soccer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeFvO69_oSE
>>
I don't think I've seen Americans get BTFO this hard and I've seen them get BTFO often.
>>
>>67310280
>"I..I swear there's a difference! We're cool when we pretend to be retarded!!!!!!!!"
>>
>its another amerilard pretends to be retarded and keeps embarrassing himself episode

Sage
>>
>>67313596
because a win is a win. If you only win 4 games and another team wins 5 it doesn't matter how the wins happened
>>
>>67309136
the same way sports aren't interesting when the underdog scenarios are completely falsely manafactured and brought to you by mcdonalds
>>
>>67313972
>Thinking 18-1 was manufactured
Aren't you about due to be wiped off the earth again by the Serbs?
>>
>>67308986
BUILD
>>
>>67308207
>team A plays team B
>team C makes the playoffs
>>
>>67309244
In murica, we call that a division championship.
>>
>>67313802

Then why to the divisional series only have five games?

Is five games enough to determine skill? If not, then why do they let teams get knocked out without a chance to demonstrate their skills? If so, then why aren't teams like the Texas Rangers champions? Why didn't the Red Sox win in 1986?

Game 2 of 2014 WS: Yordano Ventura vs. Jake Peavy. Peavy loses.
Game 6 of 2014 WS: Yordano Ventura vs. Jake Peavy. Peavy loses.

Why did we need to see that twice?
>>
>>67313537
The 3 teams below Leicester last season that didn't get relegated? Newcastle, Sunderland and Aston Villa. At least 2 of those are going down this year.

The average gap between teams who win the league to the previous season's champions is less than 5. Leicester were 40 odd behind Chelsea.
>>
I'm sorry for the ironic retards/actual retards of my country, buds.

while I do like playoffs and what not, the league systems are also very enjoyable. ruthless and tedious and clearly shows that the champion was no fluke.
>>
>>67314072

The good thing about it is that every game matters. There is nothing so putrid as watching a late season NFL game where one team is already qualified for the playoffs and putting in all their backups and the other team is actively tanking because they want a good draft pick.
>>
>>67314072

we have 2 tournaments with both formats, the best of both words desufamilia
>>
File: 1439507018660.png (268 KB, 599x667) Image search: [Google]
1439507018660.png
268 KB, 599x667
>mfw this entire shitstorm over winning the 4th best league in Europe
all this shows is how far the EPL has fallen. no wonder they choke in the Champion's League every year
>>
>>67309613
every game of the season does matter, because unlike plastic american sports, where teams pop up and move cities when money flows, in football every rivalry counts, literally EVERY game is for history. for many clubs winning the derby is more important than reaching the final of the domestic cup
>>
>>67308207

You know how the Giants can still get into the playoffs despite having a losing record in the NFC East?

Other teams matter. It's the same concept.
>>
>>67312907
as soon as you ban kebabs from your country m8, oh shit, it's too late
>>
>>67313596
You're fucking delusional.

>implying a 49-11 nfl win gains you more standing than a 14-13 win

>implying a 7 game stretch shows you more depth and skills than a full season.

Kys and go play an actual sport before you start talking about them
Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.