[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why shouldnt student athletes be paid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 4
File: 38.george.rogers.jpg (77 KB, 666x800) Image search: [Google]
38.george.rogers.jpg
77 KB, 666x800
>>
because theyre already getting a free ride through college while everyone else has to shell out $25,000+ a year
>>
They should.

NCAA is a joke.
>>
Pay them but ban scholarships, they'll shut the fuck up.
>>
why do you even pretend they are students guys?

We didn't make Kane pretend he cared about a """""communications""""" degree or whatever before he was allowed to play.
>>
Can't have both a full ride scholarship AND a paycheck.
>>
>>66924801
This. They are getting a free education, which most players will be using after college, as most do not make it to the pros.

The players do not deserve scholarships AND payment.

There isn't a large enough market for players so we can't have an academy system like there is for soccer.

>all that being said, I still wish they would bring back EAs NCAA Football games
>>
They should.
>>
>>66925158
It's not really education.
>>
>>66925148

That argument makes zero sense. Okay then, pay them a hefty salary and just take their tuition out before they see it. They're still being paid and not paying for school as far as they see.
>>
Getting money from the shirt sales seems fair
>>
>>66925377

They are still getting their tuition fees paid for, free room and board, access to state of the art gyms etc I bet some of them get donations like a free car too or whatever.

It's their own choice whether they value education and actually go to classes. At the end of the day everyone is responsible for the decisions they make in life.

It also keeps the system fair that players aren't attracted simply for a paycheck or else the richest universities would simply hog all the good players and we'd end up with like 4 teams that are always the best and stacked in every position.
>>
>>66925158
How about we stop talking about what they "deserve" and let the market do its work instead of having the NCAA decide.
>>
>>66925481
>I bet some of them get donations like a free car too or whatever.

Vince young had a fucking BMW back in UT lmao
>>
>>66924774
Why should they be paid?
>>
>>66925513

This

Memphis basketball players were all driving Escalades and Benzes when Cal was the coach and no one said shit about it.
>>
because they already get paid in white pussy
>>
>>66925112
Because technically they're students, but that takes a way way way distant second to them being an athlete
>>
Well

You have your Tim Tebow

Versus

Utility Women field Hockey SuperStarR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>66927250
You see how I used Tebow. Much like the NCAA.
>>
>>66925481
The school needs them, they dont need the school, make no mistake
>>
> education
my sides

you dumb faggots realize that they don't learn a single thing because they're all signed up for like how to tie your shoes 101 and other joke classes the university sets up for them right?

they should be paid something, the universities make billions off them and 98% of ncaa players do not turn pro
>>
>>66924774
they'd have to cut pretty much every athletic program outside of men's d1 college football and basketball since none of the rest draw enough interest.
>>
>>66929532
This desu. They should stopnpretending they're students to start with and treat them like university employees.
>>
90% of athletic programs already take a loss. How do you guys want them to pay players on top of that? They'd have to cut every sport but D1 men's basketball and football and even then alot of programs still couldn't do it
>>
>>66929703
They better cut that shit. Nobody cares about womens waterpolo team.
>>
please start paying them so I can have a current gen college basketball game to play
>>
>>66929703
>90% of athletic programs already take a loss
is there an article or research paper that gives details on this?
>>
>>66929730
Would never happen cuz title ix and muh women senpai
Honesty I think the best solution is a Jr league for top football and basketball talent kind of like the CHL in Canada where elite players make a little money but alot give up there eligibility. But ncaa football and basketball are way to established for that to work
>>
>""""""student>"""""" atholetes
>>
>>66929731
Kek you do realize most big time program universities wouldn't be able to survive without football right? The coaches aren't paid millions annually just for shits. It's an investment that bring billions in.
>>
No. Get rid of those stiupid sponsorship rules however and this is all a non-issue

Athletes get money they want, they might even stay longer to get an education too
>>
>>66929809
They'll just sit on their ass for 3 years and then enter the draft.
>>
>>66929774
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/
Keep in mind these are all power 5s so the theoretically the most profitable
>>
please poke a hole in this one, it's the best suggestion I've heard so far:

ncaa and the leagues should reach agreements in which players can be drafted and paid some development contract in which the athletes are still allowed to participate in collegiate sports, assuming they are enrolled and in good academic standing. Functions like a sabbatical, NCAA retains most of its income potential and doesn't have to drop unprofitable sports, players can be compensated for the value they create with their labor, pro teams get player rights and outsource talent development
>>
>>66929774
No
>>
>>66929863
>only niggers can be athletes!

You're the cuck.
>>
>>66929821
They'll be kicked off the team then

Not many athletes consider taking a year off, let alone 3

The sponsorships would not sponsor them either
>>
>>66929830
seems to me like this is outlining that the programs are just spending tons of money on frivolous things just because they can, not that there is any dire financial problems with athletic programs.
>>
>>66929923
they are all non-profit, too, so they wind up having to spend money on stupid shit
>>
>>66929595
> muh cuck meme
gb2/pol/

there are more white ncaa athletes than black ones and they're all equally dumb as bricks. they have assistant trainers and coaches take tests for them in classes, the whole system is a fucking joke

> student sells your jersey and name for over $100
> see no royalties
> you autograph one ball or get a with your own goddamn signature on it or get a free drink at a bar and you get suspended
>>
>>66929904
They don't have to be on a college team at all to enter the NFL. They'd just collectively go semi pro if they're required to go through rigorous education, there's a reason Alabama is a football powerhouse while Duke is not.
>>
>>66929928
You sure about that? odds are the blacks will get professional careers, I want the white hustle players that peak in college and never get a shot in the nba or nfl to have some money too.
>>
>>66929923
Basically all the football and basketball profits are spent back into facilities other sports those cost arnt gonna go away
>>
>>66924774
Because the entire collegiate sport system as we know it would collapse, and the people who profit most would lose 90% of their income.

Any other questions?
>>
>>66929830
Retarded article, they need to calculate median spending rather than average.
>>
Student athletes sign there LOIs knowing they won't get paid this is a non argument as far as I'm concerned if they don't like it get a job and pay your way through school like everyone else
>>
>>66929997
>continuing to try THIS hard to trole
>>
>>66929958
Because im sure an athlete would spend 3 years in obscurity in a league that would probably regress their development then 1-3 in a skill building college environment

Your argument is based on the fact theres a worthwhile semi pro league of any kind
>>
>>66924774
They get free food, free living in above-average dorms, free education, free access to top-tier trainers, medical staff, and work out facilities, free tutors, and if they're good enough/go to a program that is popular they get to be psuedo-famous. All for four years. Yeah it's a lot of work but damn that's very valuable.
>>
>>66930009
Precisely because they aren't requiring them to be real students. Hold them up to the same standards as other students and the Tyrones will say "fuck that shit" and bolt. A couple years later the NFL scouts will be visiting Literally Who Upper Midwest XXFL Championship instead of Alabama Pro Day.
>>
>>66929532
They can choose whether or not to take difficult classes. They'll be provided with tutors to help them in everything. Just like a regular college student who decides to dick around and get a gen-ed degree.
>>
>>66930029
if this is a meta play, congrats. If its not, you need to get gud
>>
>>66930052
Again. No athlete would waste their time in a developmentally useless league

Semi pro leagues would not topple the college sports hierarchy
>>
>>66929923
Well they have to spend the money. It's a perpetual cycle of attempting to be the best, and they aren't technically there to make a profit.
>>
>>66930086
EVERY player would bolt there if school valued academics as much or more than athletics.
>>
>>66930009
Ohh so there is another option? Well if they want to get paid that bad then they'll take it if not then shut up and take your free education
>>
>>66930086
>what are baseball minors
>>
College athletes at my school are treated like royalty. I lived with some D1 athletes my freshman yar of college, and they get full tuition payed for, shit-loads free shoes, shirts, jackets, hats, and all kinds of apparel, a travel stipend, free iPads, free private tutors, discounted air-fare for their parents traveling to see them, $1000 credit to spend on food (despite already having a meal plan payed for), textbooks, or whatever the hell they want, and they are also celebrities on campus, getting crazy pussy, and getting into bars underage because they have connections with all of the bouncers. One of the biggest arguments is that they need money to support their families, but if they were born without freakish athletics, then they would still be in the same spot. It's up to their own family to support themselves. Not the university. If a kid for a poor family was a genius, and received a full ride scholarship, they have to work their way towards earning their degree to support their family. And on top of all this, a ln extremely small fraction of college athletes move on to the pros, so the majority of them are actually working towards a career other than what they play.
>>
>>66930131
There shouldn't be any scholarship or classes, just stop pretending they're students altogether. Make them employees and pay them the same way as they do with janitors and guards.
>>
>>66930123
Something that is run by professional organizations with professional coaches and has been established for countless years
>>
>>66930150
so you don't see a problem with a system that prevents value-creating labor from compensating its laborers? It certainly flies in the face of capitalist principles.
>>
>>66930112
No player would bolt for a place with absolutely zero coaching or viable developmental placeholds

>value academics as important as sports

Because thats stopped players from cheating the system, right?
>>
>>66924774
>getting paid to get a degree from a school like Stanford/Northwestern/ND and play football
Have fun sharing money with the rowing team and bowling team
>>
>>66930206
please stop with these posts bruh
>>
Why can't we just eliminate the need for professional ball-throwers to go to college in the first place? European leagues sign players as early as 12. If you're good enough to be recruited by the major leagues, there probably isn't much you're gonna do with that Swahili degree. Just put up a pyramid of minor leagues, some dedicated specifically for younger and physically developing players. If kids still want to go play for a university, they can do it on their own volition, fully embracing the amateur and collegiate side of the game. Both sides of the debate win. Paid players, sanctity of the game saved.
>>
>>66930221
leagues get to outsource development to entities that don't have to pay their labor. without some sort of legal action or unionization or another league seriously challenging the incumbents, theres no reason for those guys to change anything.
>>
>>66930244
i'm really not sure what you're getting out of shitting up this thread. There's an entire board called /b/ where that sort of behavior is popular.
>>
>>66930221
NFL is too lazy and cheap to set up their own academy.
>>
File: 1454532968869.png (82 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1454532968869.png
82 KB, 636x358
>>66930221

The whole college athletics system is a joke and should be done away with but there's too much money tied up in it for it to ever change
>>
>>66930264
Cardale is right desu.
>>
>>66925496
Because state universities are not part of the free market.
>>
>>66925050
This is honestly the best solution to a simple problem. Sports scholarships shouldn't exist in the first place, only academic.
>>
>>66930221
>>66930264

A million times this. These athletes often read at a grade school level and have no business in a place of higher learning. The idea of an athletic scholarship is totally idiotic and should be abolished.
>>
>>66930300
ehhh they pretty much are in this context.
>>
No, fuck em. I sit in class with these kids and they only show up so that get counted for attendance by one of the coaches that stops by. 80% of them are dumb as fuck and say the dumbest things when called on. The ones that aren't going pro still get a free education and most only got into school because they were athletic; otherwise they'd stand no fucking chance. I had a kid last semester that is for sure a first round pick. He sat in class and did nothing but played on his phone all day every day. He is about to make millions. Why should they pay him more when he is just fucking around with money that could be used on people actually trying to get an education? I'm sure he passes all these classes too despite doing absolutely nothing
>>
>>66930264
Honestly it's just football. 95% of men's basketball programs and 99% of all other collegiate athletic programs lose money, and the kids are treated no differently. Even in my experience at Univ. Kentucky, the so-called "blue chip" NBA prospects hedged their bets by choosing productive degrees and going to class. The rest of the sporting atmosphere reeks of the "love of the game" sappy amateur stuff that purists crave, because they know that it's very likely to be the end of their playing days.
>>
>>66929556
They pay the coaches, why not the players??
>>
>>66929884
>implying white dominated sports are entertaining
>>
>>66930334
How so?
>>
>>66930403
they operate in a competitive environment in which scarce resources are consumed and distributed. Coach salaries are determined by market forces, theres genuinely no reason to think player salaries wouldn't be as well.
>>
>>66930425
>if you get any compensation, regardless of its amount relative to value created, the enforced system is valid
>>
The first step is obviously for athletes to have a cut of their own marketing rights. You buy a jersey with a guy's name and number on it, he gets a cut.

Then you can talk about replacing scholarships with pay, not adding a stipend to a scholarship already. I think you can't keep having a scholarship be the equivalent of pay. Because 1) some players should be compensated more than others and a scholarship doesn't do that and 2)the amount of money an athletic program brings in will not always rise and fall with the tuition the school demands. If tuition freezes over 5 years but the schools wins 30 different national championships in the first 2 years, those new recruits don't get any "raise" even though they are worth more
>>
>"I don't know how to counter your points so I'm just going to play it off like it's a meme"
>>
>>66929846

NFL doesn't want to draft 17-year-olds because it's so hard to tell whether they'll be any good at that age
>>
>>66930493
I'm arguing that paying college athletes for their labor should be based on the same principles as every other profession. I don't really care you think its terrible
>>
>>66930501
obviously not, but they wouldn't be taking a roster spot and their developmental contract would be significantly lower than the league minimum.
>>
>Colleges provide them with food and board, an education, state of the art gym equipment, talented coaches and trainers, exposure on a national stage
>B-but they deserve money
>>
>>66930501

nfl just doesn't want to build d-league infrastructure
>>
>>66930428
If you want to look at it that way, then I'd argue that players sign a contract to basically get a free ride at college. That's the deal the free market dictates as of now. From a negotiating standpoint, there's no reason for universities to suddenly start paying them salaries. What do they gain?
>>
>>66930528
>Principles

The only principles that go into paying is how much someone is willing to pay you. Nobody "deserves" a certain amount for doing a certain job.
>>
>>66930586
some of them would command much higher compensation than the sum of what you listed, especially in basketball. But they are prohibited from realizing that because of a monopoly basically.
>>
>>66930624
>Some would command higher compensation

So? They can command whatever they like. They don't "deserve" anything except what a college is willing to give them.
>>
>>66930608
right, and that principle is violated. I never suggested the thing you tried to say i did.

>>66930606
its not a free market for player labor currently because the monopolistic pro leagues and NCAA dictate the terms entirely.
>>
>>66930606

the players really have no other option since the ncaa basically has a monopoly
>>
>>66930639
but the ncaa has a monopoly and benefits financially from image rights and labor, while the laborers are not entitled to collective bargaining rights.
>>
>>66930112
As long as schools are paying, coaches and staff will come. The NFL doesn't want to set up a proxy league and pay who knows how much staff to do that. The university system is too ingrained in American Football to stop now.
>>
>>66930639
the NCAA doesn't allow the colleges to give players what they are willing to give them. hence all the scandals of boosters paying athletes and such
>>
The argument is pointless really, if players really cared that much they would get together and strike, it shouldn't be up to the gubberment or universities to offer more than what the players are currently content with.
>>
>>66930644
>The principle is violated
No it isn't because there are no principles.

Also in response to your 2nd point: The players dont /have/ to accept the terms of the colleges. They could just refuse to operate. Its the players fault for refusing to take action.
>>
>>66930676
>>66930676
that the NCAA legally stops the would-be employers from paying their laborers and the pro leagues pretty much force athletes through that system if they don't want to move abroad or train alone
>>
>>66930206
This exactly. College Athletes get so much free shit and they pay NOTHING, while every other college student is basically broke out the ass unless they got a scholarship. They have no place to complain considering their situation.
>>
major college sports need to be blown up and start over

>cap coach salaries dramatically (200k HC, 100k OC/DC, 70k for position coaches)
>no more scholarships, but pay players a reasonable working wage for the time they spend practicing and playing
>allow players to market their likeness but for competitive fairness money from these sources must be put away in escrow until player leaves school
>>
>>66930701
they actually can't try to walk onto an NFL team, as per NFL rules.

>>66930706
they are legally barred from being compensated outside of a set, universal amount. stop nitpicking.

and the players have been legally stopped from unionizing.
>>
>>66930644
>>66930651
Boo hoo, muh monopoly. There's always options. Play overseas if you want to get paid immediately. When the NCAA and pro leagues start losing our best athletes, they'll change the rules. Until then, they have no reason to. Nobody is going to force them, either, because nobody feels bad for these already spoiled college athletes.
>>
>>66930735
>agreeing with a guy who has transparently trolled throughout the thread

i'm hoping you're samefagging.
>>
>>66930752
>You need a legal union to take action

The players can just refuse to take contracts. If the NCAA suddenly finds itself without players then they will be more willing to listen.
>>
>>66930454
I don't think there is anything wrong with players being able to make money off aspects of their image. Like a signature or something. I think there's a lot of problems with selling university-brand stuff with their name on it, but things solely unique to them I see no problem.
>>
>>66930753
kek, anti trust regulation is important and has been for a long time. you're the one whining desu
>>
>>66930753
>Play overseas

this isn't basketball or baseball, there are no legitimate opportunities outside of the USA and that is why this racket works in the first place.
>>
>>66930771
and that is somehow better than just making sure this functions like any other industry? That makes zero sense. There's already a blueprint for how this could work smoothly, but you somehow think it's more appropriate for a unconcerted but universal effort among talented individuals
>>
>>66930818
Its up to the labour force to do something about it then. You can't complain about a system that you're happily operating in.
>>
>>66930771

that will never happen because, despite how fucked up the system is, it's still better than a bunch of players' current situation. It's like a better version indentured servitude.
>>
>>66930827
I thought Americans of all people would understand the fundamentals of capitalism. Apparently not
>>
>>66930493
Depending on the school, athletes who have full-ride athletic scholarships make easily $80k-$100k a year, maybe even more. They pay no rent (their dorms are usually nicer, I have no idea how much living in a dorm equates to rent but lets say it's around $750-$800 a month) , never pay for food, never pay for clothes, never pay for textbooks, never pay for their training and supplements, never pay for their tutors, and never pay for their tuition (which can easily be $40k a year for out-of-state public schools). That's an absurd amount of money.
>>
>>66930832
again, unlike every other comparable situation, the labor force isn't legally allowed to unionize.

moreover, you are bitching about the labor force doing something about it and suggesting that the labor force do something about it. wut?
>>
>>66930843
Then I don't see the problem beyond greed. The players are in a better and more beneficial situation than they otherwise would be.
>>
>>66930856
>regulation isn't utilized in capitalist systems when there's a monopoly obstructing the theoretical underpinnings of capitalism from doing their magic

better off not participating anymore nigel.
>>
>>66930865
>He thinks legally protected unionisation and union action is a good thing

They aren't doing something about it though. They're continuing to support the system while crying for someone else to do something about it.
>>
>>66930877
resources need to be distributed. each party wants relatively more of it. you can't simply claim one side is greedy while the other isn't
>>
>>66930896
literally false. perhaps that applies to some portion of athletes, but it's not an applicable generalization.
>>
>>66930885
>Implying fucking sports should be protected in the same way

There's nothing worse than people who half understand an argument.
>>
>>66930586
The strongest argument is that a few players would be making a TON of money if they were paid based on how much money the school makes from their football program. Like Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas, tOSU, Michigan, Texas A&M players would make way more money than anyone else because their program racks in so much. but then you have to consider smaller programs, like Sunbelt schools, where the value of the scholarship and everything else is still pretty much equivalent but they might make less if you took away their scholarship and replaced it with pay. And then the thousands of athletes that make next to no money from their sports would demand to be paid too. Good luck to schools trying to keep Athletic Departments open when they're giving a salary to every Track, Rowing, and Field Hockey athlete.
>>
>>66930916
i understand it all, i've got degrees and professional bruh. there's no reason labor should go unprotected because it occurs in a certain industry that you think is special.
>>
>>66930801
>this nigga suddenly thinks he's a lawyer
Go on about how antitrust regulation applies in this scenario.

>>66930818
Hey man, that's free market. Make your money elsewhere if you don't like the rules with one company.
>>
>>66930899
The difference is that you're trying to force the people who hold the resources to give them away. I'm arguing that the people with the resources are free to decide what to do with them.

>>66930911
Well I'm ignoring the legion of cucks crying for Sanders to come and steal from the evil white man and give to the poor, oppressed mandingo. Just go watch cuck porn man.
>>
>>66930651
But is the option really all that bad? What are the students losing by going to college? They're still in developmental years, it's a time to grow and mature. I can't see it as unfair because their option isn't all that bad. In fact it's really great compared to non-athletes.
>>
File: 1437510576474.jpg (42 KB, 800x804) Image search: [Google]
1437510576474.jpg
42 KB, 800x804
>I get mad over the monetary compensation of people who voluntarily decided to make playing a game their main priority well into adulthood.
>>
>>66930926
They're not unprotected though you dense fuck. They get a shitload of benefits from their situation in lieu of pay.
>>
>>66930936
there are monopolies that conspire to make sure labor doesn't get compensated relative to its value created. why wouldn't that warrant some anti-trust investigation ?
>>
>>66930945
>They get free education, preferential treatment, food and board, state of the art gyms, coaches and trainers, exposure directly to potential employers

Don't listen to the paycucks senpai.
>>
>>66930966
yeah, but its not determined by a market in any way, in fact the system makes sure that doesn't happen. I don't understand why you don't understand that the NCAA and the NFL/NBA literaly hinder the would-be employers from compensating athletes as they see fit
>>
File: 1450745672587.jpg (10 KB, 240x250) Image search: [Google]
1450745672587.jpg
10 KB, 240x250
>>66930924

why the fuck should academic institutions, many of which that are publicly funded, be entitled to "good" athletic departments? It's like people forgot the original purpose of college athletics
>>
>>66930945
It isn't bad. Many college athletes take full advantage of the free ride and are grateful for it, making use of their degree afterwards.

>>66930971
Because they're students, not employees.
>>
>>66931087
yes, but they are "students" in many cases because the NFL/NBA strongarm them into going through an already-established third-party talent development infrastructure that happens to generate insane revenue streams by using their labor and images. Don't pretend that's a typical situation of students.
>>
>muh feelings
thats the only reason. if college athletes were paid according to the revenue they generate, male college football and basketball players would be making millions of dollars a year while womens field hockey players would make 5 dollars a year. modern society would never let this imbalance slide, despite there being nothing wrong with it.

college sports are bullshit though. colleges are academic institutions created with the sole purpose of educating and preparing people to be productive members of society. a college should have no other purpose. there should be no college athletes. every major American sports league (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, maybe MLS) should have their own developmental league that they take seriously, and that league should replace college athletics. if you're a 5 star high school basketball recruit, you get picked #1 overall in the d-league draft and immediately start making money equal to what you can generate. after a year in the d-league and a couple hundred thousand dollars in your pocket, you declare for the real draft and enter the league like you would from college.

this is how it should work. the Jews who run the American education system will never allow it though, because right now they have a fucking golden opportunity
>make a literal billion dollars off of college basketball players every year
>not obligated to give a single cent of it to the actual players
fucking unbelievable, they cant keep getting away with it yet they will because anyone who stands up to them is branded as "entitled"
>>
>>66931087

>they're students, not employees

see >>66930264

a lot of them being "students" is a joke. It's like forcing a plumber to go through fishing school
>>
>>66930877
This is exactly the case actually. Students on full-ride athletic scholarships risk very little (injuries that will take away your scholarship and hurt you later in life are very uncommon) and are not asked of much more than a normal job (they pay for tutors to practically do your school work) and are given substantial benefits that far exceed regular students. They just feel entitled, but they'd never even be there if the university didn't give them the chance, and when you consider that most universities are paying $60k-$100k for around 60-80 athletes each PER YEAR, it's a huge investment on the university's part.
>>
>>66931133
The players have to make a concerted effort to do something about it then.
>>
anyone who says players shouldnt be paid is a racist.

i bet you its all conservative capitalist pieces of fucking shit who are against players getting their fair share
>>
>>66931122
That's not an argument for making the NCAA pay students a salary. If you want to change your argument that they shouldn't have to go through college to be eligible for those leagues, that case has been made several times in this thread already and I pretty much agree with it.
>>
>>66931195
By trolling this guy has actually posted the most honest message from a payfag lmao.

Payfags literally hate capitalism and probably support Sanders
>>
>>66931223

the college athletics system is literally the exact opposite of capitalism
>>
>>66931269
Yes it is. Monopolies are the end result of capitalism.
>>
>>66925112
More American sports need Amateur leagues like hockey and soccer.
>>
>>66931269
this. if college athletics were capitalist, players would get some of the money they make
>no players = no NCAA tournament
>no NCAA tournament = no fortune 500 companies paying for ad space out the ass
>no fortune 500 companies paying for ad space out the ass = no billions of dollars in ad revenue per year
in a capitalist system, the players get a certain percentage of those billions of dollars.
>>
>>66931321

monopolies through efficiency are which damn sure isn't the case for the ncaa. The only reason the ncaa has a monopoly is because of special exemptions from certain laws
>>
>>66931321
>I know nothing about economics
Fixed.
>>
>>66931210
its an argument that the whole situation should be looked at skeptically by regulators. Moreover ,suggesting that colleges should be allowed to pay athletes isn't the same as suggesting that the NCAA should have to pay them. Also, I am in favor of different arrangement altogether that I already posted ITT.
>>
>>66931321
true monopolies actually obstruct capitalistic ecnomoies from functioning correctly
>>
>>66931346
it just seems personally that conservatives likely are against paying athletes due to that being the traditional way of things.

more liberals are likely to push for paying athletes

i mean is northwesteen not a liberal school in a liberal city in a liberal state? they are the ones pushing this through the actual court system.

and im sure the amount of black athletes in the two big money makers (football, basketball) also leads me to believe its an agenda of the left
>>
>>66924801
They are bringing in MUCH more than they are getting, and this doesnt help with social life. Also, as someone involved in the athletic departments, most students get paid as is anyway. might as well just be truthful about it now.

Those who disagree are just jealous they never got a scholarship
>>
>>66931395
So you'd rather have the richest universities getting all the best players?
>>
ITT: People who don't know shit about capitalism or communism and some /pol/tards cuckposting
>>
>>66931346
But they are, really. It's just very indirect. The athletics program gets money from their performance, and they give some back to the university as well as spending on increasing the profile and prestige of the university's athletic program, making it more desirable to come to the school for new students. Those students pay tuition, but school merchandise, pay for meal plans, textbooks, etc.., which all pays for those athlete's scholarships or at least part of it at the end of the day.
>>
>>66931509
also this

the pro-caliber athletes are groomed in speaking to the media as early as high school, and are catered to financially more so than a third stringer or even a baseball player
>>
>>66931517
i actually think the pro teams should get player rights and pay small developmental contracts with some sort of renewal options or something. most college athletes don't generate enough value for any big change to be broadly applicable and most teams operate at a loss. but its currently a system that completely fucks some small fraction of the most talented laborers.
>>
>>66931556
It's that tier of athlete that skews everything. Those are the athletes that win, bring media attention, and bring prospective students to the university. The vast majority, like has been millions of times, will never go pro and will likely use their college education for a career after playing. So it's hard to justify payment to college players when only that top % make a difference.
>>
>mfw there are paycucks on /sp/ RIGHT NOW who want to offer their daughters to small time athletes who fail African-American Vernacular Studies classes
>>
>>66931645
And if we're being honest those players are already getting paid some way or another by the schools they go to. Every large program has football and basketball players who "magically" get brand new cars, headphones, phones, shoes, you name it. The Northwestern football players that tried to unionize are trash, with overestimated value despite having a much higher scholarship value when everything is quantified (considering their dorms are nicer than most schools, their tuition costs are much higher, etc..,).
>>
I don't know much about how your college system works, but what's the reason behind not paying people who are making you lots of money?
>>
>>66931871
it started as amateur clubs, the vast majority of which are unprofitable. the money has just gotten insane in recent years though.
>>
>>66931871
Out of the 89 mens and womens sports only 3 are profitable (men's: football, basketball and hockey) and the rest are subsidised by the profitable sports but most frequently other students. Students receive room, board, books, and tuition which at some private schools can be a $50,000 yearly value. Players also receive top class medical care and tons of free gear from sponsors .
>>
>>66931871
American sports (for the most part, baseball notwithstanding) started out as club teams at Universities. Before any professional leagues could take a big hold of the market (in the late 19th and early 20th century they were all too fractured or unsupported) Universities decided to essentially contract out these clubs, essentially saying you can play for the school and we'll provide you with coaches, equipment, and facilities. Universities saw that they could make money by selling tickets for admission, and once they did it eventually evolved into selling ad space and broadcast rights, be that over the radio or television. In the early days athletic programs didn't have a ton of expenditure and didn't make a ton of profit, but American culture changed when professional leagues started to dominate the markets. Sports culture and excellence became very, very important to Americans, and with that came an increase in profits and a drive for athletes to improve more than ever before. Universities saw they could make even more money and acquire even more prestige for their school through athletic success, so they decided to spend more and more on athletics so as to attract the best players. This ended up becoming a positive feedback loop, as the players around the country continued to improve themselves for a shot at making it to universities, while universities continued to improve their coaching staff and facilities to facilitate increased profits and player attraction. Professional leagues didn't care to form substantial developmental leagues because the Universities at this point were already doing enough work for them. It wasn't until fairly recently, with the invention of massive media, cable television, and the internet did the top-tier athletes start to realize just how much money the juggernaut athletic programs were making for their play compared to what they were getting in scholarship money and other benefits.
>>
>>66932046
Much more than $50,000, especially if out of state. Ignoring food costs and the other benefits such as training, tutors, and free clothing, the Cost of attendance for one year at Duke is $70k. That's likely very comparable to most private schools and out-of-state large public schools, but you also need to tack on the value of an education from whatever school you choose. An education from any prominent private or public school is bound to make that cost go up even higher. It's reasonable to believe that a full-ride scholarship is worth 90k-100k a year at most schools, assuming tuition is valued as out-of-state for public schools.
>>
>>66932273
>>66931871
So it's reasonable to say that the best athletes - the Heisman winners, 1st/2nd/3rd round NFL draft picks, NBA lottery picks/1st rounders - aren't getting benefits equivalent to what they're making the university. Usually. But the vast majority of athletes, even starters for football teams, are getting an opportunity that when quantified exceeds the monetary amount they make the university. But if you pay any athlete you have to pay them all, and without throwing away athletic scholarships that's just practically impossible to do without tanking University funds.

I think athletes should be able to make some money based on their likeness. I'm not sure they should be able to sell their university's jersey with their name on it, but I think they should be able to sell a signature if they wanted to. But I don't know all the answers.
>>
>>66932736
I'm sure that's true at a lot of schools, but at a lot of the big schools players are given either new cars with extremely small payments needed, or rental cars for essentially nothing. I know UNC used to do the rental thing for almost all their basketball players.
>>
>>66924801
expected from someone who never played sports in their life
>>
>>66933649
What?
>>
>>66925050
/thread
>>
>>66929731
nah, it goes to admins to pay for other admins so your tuition can go up everyyear
>>
>>66933649

not only is that wrong, but it has nothing to do with what I said
>>
>>66931133
but,but,but mah traditions
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.