[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey nerds, how do I hone my abilities as a keeper in football.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 720x405
Hey nerds, how do I hone my abilities as a keeper in football. I've pretty much never played football, but I was the varsity goalie in another sport throughout high school. I've been playing pickup games at my uni (football is very popular here) against some of our starters, randoms, and others, and I've been doing pretty well so I figure I might as well continue and see where it takes me. Plus, this is

>American football

so I'm sure, at this rate, I'll be on the national team soon.

One thing I'm worried about is I'm not that tall (6'1"), and I've got more of a muscular wrestlers physique than a soccer/football players.
>>
>One thing I'm worried about is I'm not that tall (6'1"), and I've got more of a muscular wrestlers physique than a soccer/football players.

Should have lead with this. Sorry buddy but you've got absolutely no chance.

Tim Howard is shit now mostly because he was shit anyway, but also because goal keepers are now lean, agile and elastic and he's heavy, muscular and shit.

You're even shorter than he is and he's considered too short.
>>
>>66437308
>he's heavy, muscular and shit

Lold
>>
Don't listen to south korea, anon. 6'1" is fine for a keeper, although it would help if you were lankier. Strength isn't that important for a keeper.
The things that matter are:
How brave are you? Are you prepared to throw your body around?
Do you know what to do if a striker is coming at you all alone?
How good is your handling?
How resilient are you?
How good are your reflexes? How agile are you? Are you fast?
How well can you dive for the ball?
Do you know how to position yourself correctly?
Are you a good organiser of people?
Also, how well can you distribute the ball? How far can you kick and throw the ball?
Can you judge corner kicks and crosses?

Find your strengths and weaknesses in these areas.
>>
I'll just hijack this thread, are there any guides for good exercises to get better ball control skills? I barely played through my teenage years so I'm shit at it, but I want to play some sunday football now. I'm not trying to be messi, but I want to at least not be by far the worst player on the pitch (at least my stamina is by far the best so I make it up a bit by running a lot).
>>
>>66437883
Practice trapping the ball with different parts of your body and concentrate on getting a solid first touch and then passing it on. If you want concrete examples of exercises just look something up on youtube
>>
>>66437276
Core is everything If you're not lanky. It's what gives you the dive and what makes you get up quicker.
T. 6' GK
>>
>>66441677

Yeah, I realize that I have good agility and core strength thanks to wrestling. I made some good saves, but my footwork is garbage. That's what I need to work on really
>>
>I want to be le sweeper keeper
>>
>>66437883
try doing reps of these every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pPWe8Rjl9U
>>
File: image.png (36 KB, 651x429) Image search: [Google]
image.png
36 KB, 651x429
>>66442149
>Doesn't play football
>Shitposts anyway

I admire your persistence m8
>>
positioning and descision making is the most important thing, when to rush out/narrow the angle, and when to stay, where to stand, when to come for a cross etc.

learning how to extend yourself fully when diving and positioning can make up for being short

youtube has some good stuff on this stuff
>>
>>66442130
footwork and distribution is easy. the best thing to do is always just roll or kick it to your closest defender, a right/leftback if you can. no point aimlessly hoofing it and losing posession
>>
>>66437308
>that flag this topic meme
don't you have a world cup to rig?
>>
>>66442352

Thanks to my previous experience as a goalie, I'm pretty good with angling and positioning. I am, however, having trouble fully extending myself when diving so I'll have to look it up.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.