[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where does home field advantage come from? Is it a self-fulfilling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1459407438742.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1459407438742.webm
2 MB, 800x450
Where does home field advantage come from? Is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? Do the fans actually influence the game?
>>
Probably a fear thing. Away team gets intimidated by fans who could run on the field and kill them if they really felt like it. Same with the ref who doesn't want to get killed.
>>
It's in the rules in hockey.
>>
>>66745850
It feels nice to know your home and that when you win you can go to your house instead of some hotel in a city you're unfamiliar with.
>>
>>66745850
noise from fans in muriburger football is used to stop the opposing team from hearing calls.

In divesemen, the fields are differnet lengths providing some tactical advantage to the home team who can structure their team around the size of the field
>>
It's a mixture of factors.

>Needing to travel sometimes a great distance
>staying in unfamiliar accommodation
>different field dimensions
>hostile crowd
>don't have your own fans (or a big enkugh number) to give you a boost
>>
Just go on youtube and check Partizan Belgrade fans on basketball games...absolute madness.
>>
>>66746236
This. Considering travelling was a HUGE issue in the past. Thus it's not so relevant but those factors still contribute to some advantage
>>
>>66745860
What is it with americans and cuckoldry?
>>
The EPL is the only league in the world where I've seen this meme actually applied. Whether you're the home team or not determines how far the officials stretch how much you're allowed to get away with.

>Stoke on a rainy, Monday night
>>
>>66745850

This was covered in the book Scorecasting. Long story short the fans impact the refs and not the games.
>>
>>66746787
This. No matter how well you're trained or how stoic you are. You are biologically ingrained to cave to a certain amount of social pressure. And 50,000 fans can do that pretty easily.
>>
>>66745850
I've noticed, particularly in Basketball anyway, you tend to get a lot of fans wearing home colours. If you look at, say, the Warriors finals last year, or the Heat's the year before, the entire crowd is yellow and white respectively.

Courts, and Stadiums, are all roughly the same size in terms of game area, but teams will get used to all the little nuances of their own home field, and it gives them the slight edge.

That, and I imagine getting cheered on probably feels better than being booed by thousands of fans.

Over here in Scotland, we have shite schools, and playing sports in High School, and even in Uni, was absolutely nothing to the feel and atmosphere when I went to visit the Cowboys stadium, The sheer size and atmosphere must be so different actually playing a game than just watching it on TV.
>>
>>66747110

That's because they give away t-shirts for those particular games in the NBA.
>>
>>66745850
Not having to travel and sleeping in your own bed and house is obviously nice.
>>
>>66745860
REKT
>>
In football home teams have an advantage because they're used to playing on that specific pitch with those dimensions. I worked at Glanford Park as a groundskeeper for a bit and they were telling me Lincoln City would grow the grass longer in the corners of the pitch because they would play long balls to their wingers as their main attacking focus. The longer grass slowed the ball a bit more giving them more time to run onto it.
>>
a) fans can carry a game
b) if you're at home you tend to be more comfortable "going for it", you're playing more offensively
c) placebo

Also statistically, playing at home is worth 2/3 of a goal.
>>
File: 76.png (13 KB, 538x170) Image search: [Google]
76.png
13 KB, 538x170
Doesn't always work though does it.

I hope you're ready to get thrashed at anfield by the double black D
>>
>>66745850

Well for one, your home pitch is the one you play half of all your games on in the season, so it's the pitch you'll be most comfortable playing on. The run of the ball on it, the softness of the turf running on it, all those little things will be helpful.

The fans do push you just a little bit more as well. I've only ever played in front of handfuls of people, but even that support is a nice boost. A 50k stadium of people pushing you forward could only be a positive.

I think a good example of that influence is Arsenal. When they moved out of Highbury to the Emirates, it took them time to adjust to it, they struggled at home that first season, if I remember correctly.
>>
It can be even little things like sleeping in your own bed instead of a hotel and waking up to a certain routine can make a massive difference especially if you've been on the road for consecutive games.
>>
In football a good fanbase can literally cause a few delay of game penalties a game and make the teams change how they signal plays. In other sports I'd bet the effects are more placebo but traveling affects all sports to some degree and maybe that's more drastic than we think
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.