[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /sp/ feel about bow/crossbow shooting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: woman_does_archery.jpg (44 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
woman_does_archery.jpg
44 KB, 700x400
I tried making an archery thread in /asp/ and it didn't go so well. I was actually told that I was posting in the "man drama" boards ( if I remember right; I'm assuming anything not wrestling-related is unwelcome there ) and not to expect much. Because of that I figured I'd come to you.

I'm thinking of shooting bows/crossbows both for sport and as a form of sustenance ( hunting ) but know very little about both. I'm hoping /sp/ has some good advice on/a good community for archery. I recently found both the PSE TAC Elite and the PSE TAC 15 Ordnance ( both discontinued but highly praised crossbows ) new in the box and I'm thinking of making a purchase before somebody else scoops them up. At about $800-$1000 they are just at the end of my pricerange and I'm hoping somebody here can give me advice on selecting a crossbow. I'd also be interested in hearing recommendations regarding bows ( Regim, Samick, etc. )
>>
File: 1455596136783.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1455596136783.png
230 KB, 640x360
> shooting a crossbow.
Literally piece of shit and ineffective. Takes eons to reload. Zombies should have killed darryl by now.
>>
I shoot a ten year old Mathews compound that still works fine

Goat hobby
>>
>>66672027

This. Crossbows are turbopleb
>>
>>66672010
Those bows are so fucking retarded.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Also >>>/asp/
>>
>>66672027

But anybody can use a crossbow, they don't require any real skill just point and shoot. English archers refused to use the crossbow because it was seen as cheating/cowardly to use a weapon that required basically no training at all.

Richard I was famously killed by a child using a crossbow in a siege, Richard told his guards and friends not to harm the child for it and they agreed but the moment Richard I died they had the boy flayed and hanged.
>>
>>66672321
It really is a bitch weapon though, and one of many things in a long line of inventions that made it so bitch made faggots could survive when really they should die.
>>
>>66672010
It appeals to armpit fetishists.

I'm one.
>>
i should target recurve, it's good fun

also played with compounds but not really for me
>>
File: wrestlingarcher.gif (3 MB, 555x306) Image search: [Google]
wrestlingarcher.gif
3 MB, 555x306
>>66672027
>>66672149
>>66672453
Fair enough points to make. I'm still not against using one but I can't say you're wrong.

>>66672143
Good to know; I'd be more likely to get a recurve if I were to get a bow but I'm certainly not against compounds and will keep in mind that an anon has had a good experience with his Mathew's.

>>66672214
I said I already tried ASP and they pretty much told me I was on the wrong board. Besides, this thread has gotten about the same number of replies in less than half a day that it took me three days to get on /ASP/ and most of those were people trying to compare archery to wrestling; Gif related: was posted in the thread I made in /asp/

>>66672466
Glad you enjoyed the pic.

>>66672901
Do you have any recommendations on good recurve bows for beginners?
>>
Recurve or you are a massive faggot
>>
>>66672214
>Lars Andersen

Dude is a fucking faggot who is a fucking delusional shit
>>
>>66673155
depends on what kind of shooting you want to do. barebow? olympic style? hunting?

if you want to hunt, a compound is probably better. more efficient/accurate and you can pull higher draw weights due to the cams taking the majority of the weight at full draw.

recurves, or any trad bow are great, but also take a lot of conditioning and practice to reach high poundages, and if you're shooting an ILF bow you'll be changing limbs pretty regularly. a lot of compounds have the ability to change draw weight without changing parts, which is nice.

since i do target archery, i pretty much only shoot for sport, so can't really give much recommendations outside of that. if you're interested in that, there's quite a few decent risers that don't cost a fortune ,but if you want to spend the cash, you can get some pretty amazing stuff. my first bow was a hoyt horizon. fantastic mid-range riser.
>>
>>66673323
I'm interested in both shooting for sport and for hunting. My budget is around $1000 and while a Compound bow might be better for hunting the truth is I'd rather learn to use a recurve to hunt ( even if it restricts me to smaller game ) simply because it would be awfully difficult to replace a cam or other specialized parts of a compound bow compared to carving a new limb in a survival situation. Still, I'm hoping I'll only be using my recurve for sport shooting ( targets ) and occasional recreational hunting.
>>
>>66673406

Where do you live anon?

My dad is trying to sell his Hoyt target bow
>>
>>66673775
I'm in Wisconsin.
>>
>>
>>66673797

It's a great bow he just recently upgraded

Hoyt bow with arrow rest all you'd need to buy is a site and would be way less than $1000
>>
If you're seriously considering hunting with it just use a fucking gun.

If you're dead set on hunting with a bow spend a lot of time getting good before you go out and lose your arrows/just make something bleed if you're lucky.

As far as good recurves for a beginner just get something cheap and wooden with a light enough draw that you can think about your technique instead of just on holding it.
>>
>>66672010
>I was actually told that I was posting in the "man drama" boards
Mind you, it's not like /asp/ was a top tier board to begin with, but since the move of the wrestling threads the place broke all levels of shittiness. It's literally worse than /pol/ and /b/ now as far as post quality goes.
>>
>>66674621
Either way it was pretty clear they ( the regulars ) didn't want me posting about archery in /asp/.
>>
>>66672010
Cool as fuck, I own 5 bows and a crossbow and I just started fishing with an trident-arrow I made with my father, i've only fished a carp, but it was a great feeling
>>
>visit /asp/ for the first time since wwe cucks got kicked off /sp/
holy FUCK I feel bad for whoever used to browse /asp/ before
>>
File: 1448819401894s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1448819401894s.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>66674621
>Go visit /asp/ out of curiosity
>First thread is about which Diva's farts they want to sniff
>>
>>66672214
>Olympic event
>belonging on /asp/

pick one
>>
>>66672010
>4chan accidentally created a specific board for wwe
>>
>>66673162
Start with recurve. Use compound when you want to hit something ethically because you don't feel like putting in thousands of hours to hit deer at 10 yards
>>
>>66673890
Shit form. Would my shoot with
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.