[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come american youth/amateur soccer still uses Sweepers but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 4-4-2-sweeper.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
4-4-2-sweeper.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
How come american youth/amateur soccer still uses Sweepers but not the rest of the world?

I grew up with 3+1/diamond in defence with a sweeper/stopper combo. It was weird though because having grown up watching European teams play, nobody ever mentioned the position, it seemed to me something Americans made up or something I dunno.
>>
In my club we had all European coaches and we ran a flat back 4 but a diamond in midfield with 2 strikers. It might be an American thing.
>>
We played with a sweeper up until we were about 13-14
>>
i suppose you lose the advantage when the centre backs are complete enough and the opposition knows how to abuse offside rules
>>
Europeans stopped using Sweepers around 1994.
It's an outdated position considering 4 in the back gave you in general more defensive options
>>
>>66625760
If you play with a sweeper you lose the possibility of playing with an offside trap. Therefore you can't compress your opponent's available space by pushing up with your defenders.

Modern CBs are also complete enough to build from the back, while modern goalkeepers have taken over some parts of the sweeper's duties.
>>
>not playing a strict 442 exclusively from the ages of 7-16 before quitting sports to take up full time binge drinking

wew lads, step up your coaching
>>
>>66625760
Because unless your sweeper is fast as fuck, you'll get raped by strikers making runs past the fags in front of you.

source: played sweeper on the high school team
>>
>>66625760
Both Brazil and Germany used sweepers in the 2002 final.
How old are you?
>>
>>66627521
that was literally 18 years ago
>>
>>66628067
>Brazilian math
>>
>>66627321
>That one game the manager wants you to play 4-3-3

>that one game you lose 10 - 0 because of it.
>>
File: feelsisreals.png (211 KB, 298x419) Image search: [Google]
feelsisreals.png
211 KB, 298x419
>>66628088
>2002 was 22 years ago
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.