[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many sport fields could you fit into a small area? Say
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10
File: softball and soccer field.png (110 KB, 549x208) Image search: [Google]
softball and soccer field.png
110 KB, 549x208
How many sport fields could you fit into a small area?

Say you wanted something like pic related, which is a softball field with a soccer field layered over it, but for as many types of fields as possible instead of just those two, how would you do it?

For the sake of ease of use let's say not everything needs to necessarily comply with regulation, just be right to use for casual games.
>>
>>66419766
Hey bro, this is an interesting question, but I'm gonna tell you right now, you need to take it over to

>>>/sci/

Because those are the motherfuckers who actually know geometry and trigonometry and shit like that, and the people on this board are legit mostly a bunch of degenerate gamblers, which is a completely different type of math than what you're talkin' here.

But yeah, great idea.
>>
>>66419766
multipurpose stadia are shit

literally only Oakland still actually does this shit and it looks awful

pls delete this thread
>>
>>66420724
No not a great idea fucking moran. The grass is going to be so shit if all those sports are played simultaneously in the same week
>>
>>66420751
>moran
>>
>>66420766
your a idiot
>>
>>66420751
>grass
>not using turf
>>
>>66420740
What's wrong with them?
>>
>>66420882
You can't have good viewing angles for a gridiron rectangle and a baseball diamond + outfield at the same time
>>
File: 1458109533877.jpg (30 KB, 300x339) Image search: [Google]
1458109533877.jpg
30 KB, 300x339
>>66420906
>>66420740
Just answer the question faggots forget about the practical side you nerdz.
>>
>>66420906
The point isn't to watch people play the point is to have a space to play on while not taking up a vast amount of land.

Just have bleachers you can move around, or use folding chairs like you do watching kids play sports at the park, something like this wouldn't be used for anything major, just casual play.
>>
File: 11328652-essay.jpg (241 KB, 980x653) Image search: [Google]
11328652-essay.jpg
241 KB, 980x653
Who doesn't like 2 or 3-for-1's?
>>
>>66421005
Why do these places always have like a thousand softball fields?

Also are the black lines on that field marking two more soccer fields that go perpendicular to the main football field or what?
>>
>>66421033
I don't know why

Yes
>>
When I was an SID, the school I worked for had a multi-purpose field that was used for football, baseball, softball, soccer and lacrosse.
>>
>>66420875
Do turf baseball fields still have packed clay for the runs and pitchers mound or is everything turf?
>>
File: 1111.jpg (186 KB, 870x637) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
186 KB, 870x637
soccer, baseball, american football, basketball, jogging track all 1 minute away

step up faggots
>>
File: fields.png (14 KB, 1217x1977) Image search: [Google]
fields.png
14 KB, 1217x1977
Alright did some work here. Now I'm an engineering student, not an athlete but I went off diagrams from online.

White = American football
Yellow = soccer
Maroon = lacrosse
Blue = rugby
Black = field hockey

Thinking I'll add baseball and softball in the corners like >>66421005 this field has, and a cricket pitch in the middle.

Am I forgetting any other sports you can play on a grass field?

This is going to be a clusterfuck once I start adding more lines.
>>
>>66421916
Cricket
Hurling and Gaelic Football
You should also try to incluse a running track around the field but I doubt you can.
>>
>>66421938
It wouldn't be a quarter mile track, maybe end up being like a half mile or more to go around the whole thing.

And I am planing for cricket, going to finish this tomorrow, heading off for the night pretty soon and don't feel like doing any more work.

Do people actually playing hurling and gaelic football?
>>
File: gaelic-football-field.gif (16 KB, 892x458) Image search: [Google]
gaelic-football-field.gif
16 KB, 892x458
>>66421938
>>66421959
Also holy shit Gaelic football is played on a fucking massive field.
>>
>>66420740
Reminder that Yankee Stadium is a soccer complex now
>>
File: The omnifield.png (88 KB, 1921x812) Image search: [Google]
The omnifield.png
88 KB, 1921x812
Well I did some more work.

The world is not ready for this.

I still need to color code the lines, needs to be done in another program, not SketchUp, so maybe that will possibly clean things up a little bit or at least make it less confusing.
>>
>>66425646
Pretty neat OC man. I like it.
>>
>>66425796
Thanks, if anything it does make a good image for comparing the different types of pitches.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (118 KB, 1090x582) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
118 KB, 1090x582
The real solution is to draw all the markings with LED strips embedded into the underlay and lay turf over the top of it.

Also all of these fields will fit in a combination aussie rules/cricket oval like the one on the right of pic related. Also we ran track on it too.
>>
>>66426071
>draw all the markings with LED strips embedded into the underlay and lay turf over the top of it
Would it be bright enough to easily see the lines during a sunny day? Because that sounds like a good idea.

Kind of weary on how that would hold up compared to an all turf field
Some turf companies are making turf with fiberoptics embedded into it.

Having never played cricket or aussie rules, does it make a big difference whether the field is an oval or a circle?
>>
>>66425813
You probably really suck at drafting
-from a superoior engineer
>>
>>66426220
Of course I do. This is my first year as a student, but you don't really need skill to copy the lines of regulation sports fields and layer them over each other.
>>
>>66426153
Yeah it does. The Sydney Swans play AFL on a basically round oval and they kinda just win all the time at home.

Both sports have pretty relaxed rules about the size and shape of the field.
>>
File: Maybe this is an AFL field.png (16 KB, 682x810) Image search: [Google]
Maybe this is an AFL field.png
16 KB, 682x810
>>66426390
>Both sports have pretty relaxed rules about the size and shape of the field.

Yeah, I had a really hard time finding any proper descriptions of what the field dimensions are.

I feel like cricket was just kind of played in the middle of a random grass lot and they just decided the boundaries based on the outfielders saying what's too far away for them to go after, so there was a lot of variance in the fields built, and since Aussie football is played on cricket fields the same thing transferred over.

How does this look for an Australian rules football field?
>>
I play on an astro pitch that is used for gaelic, rugby and football. It's covered with different coloured line markings. Looks ridiculous
>>
File: The omnifield.png (73 KB, 1795x1965) Image search: [Google]
The omnifield.png
73 KB, 1795x1965
>>66427492
You don't even know ridiculous.
I have yet to make the colored line version, but I think this is the final layout I'm going with, can't think of anything else you could cram in there, maybe like some badminton courts or a youth soccer field, but that would just be adding more lines and not changing the shape of the field at all.

I really like the idea of lighting it up with fibre optics with a computer system hooked up so you can change the lines as needed, would make a lot cleaner field without needing to screw around with all the multicolored lines.

Also, if you laid it out right you'd have a half mile track around around the outside of this, so that works out well.

I spent far to much time on this.
>>
>>66428532
>not putting this whole thing inside of Bristol Motorspeedway to you can have motorsports aswell.
>>
>>66429140
We need a new sport that's playing all of those games simultaneously on the same field, with relay races going on around the track and it all in the middle of a motorspeedway having a race.

See how many people die from this.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.