[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This thread is dedicated to a speculative Alternate Universe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: The-US-1950-World-Cup-squad.jpg (36 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
The-US-1950-World-Cup-squad.jpg
36 KB, 600x400
This thread is dedicated to a speculative Alternate Universe where Football(or Soccer as we 'Yanks' put it) was the de facto Game for the United States from the beginning. It is not necessarily limited to International Performance though that'll be the key interest no doubt, but I'm interested in other nations weighing in on this sort of thing at practically all key levels; International, Domestic, Amateur/School, etc.
>>
they'd still be shit
>>
>>66398015
This.
>>
It was super popular in this country until being the special snowflakes that we are we decided to force other shit
>>
>>66398111
>HURRRRRRRR DURRRRRRR BIG BLACK CHEESEBURGER EATING BEASTS WOULD REK SAWKER

You've just illustrated why you'd still be shit
>>
>amerifat calling soccer football
>>
File: USA '65.jpg (162 KB, 920x723) Image search: [Google]
USA '65.jpg
162 KB, 920x723
>>66398107
Part-True. It was always popular in the regional level but had a very spotty reputation above it. But in all fairness, it was pretty much a distant second to Baseball since the beginning. Then College Football overcame it roughly around the time of the Harvard-Yale game in '69.

Their first chance of actual Professional Success was the American Soccer League in the 1920's. Regional, yes, but it brought a number of quality players from the British Isles and was actually fairly equal to the fledgling NFL around this period. Sadly the Soccer Wars and the Great Depression fucked the league to oblivion and ruined the only chance to break a Top 3 spot in American Sports.
>>
>>66398107
Not really. Baseball was far more popular, and was dominant in the US by the time soccer showed up. The US was actially decent at soccer early on thanks to our German and Italian immigrants (made the WC semifinal in 1930), but the Great Depression and WWII killed it It would have killed football too, but a handful of rich guys like George Halas managed to keep it going.
>>
Well the best athletes in the NFL would play soccer over American football I'd imagine. So an Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Rob Gronkowski, Von Miller, Andrew Luck, Odell Beckham Jr, JJ Watt and so on would be soccer players, which is a weird thought.
>>
You're delusional if you don't seriously believe the U.S. wouldn't dominate the international scene. Look at the caliber of athlete the NFL produces.
>>
File: USA 74 Road Team.jpg (1 MB, 2770x1933) Image search: [Google]
USA 74 Road Team.jpg
1 MB, 2770x1933
>>66398267
I really don't think we'd be at that level, even WITH all our eggs in the basket, proverbially speaking.

I visualize the US on a nationwide level to maybe be a step or a few behind the main European/South American powers in terms of consumate footskills, but at the same time have a perceptable advantage in terms of overall athleticism, especially once the Color Barrier is broken. Team discipline and strategy would probably rate as comparable to the Europeans in that regard. So basically imagine a supremely disciplined African Side as the overall US Package.

On an individual level, I imagine there would be plenty of Americans who can match up with the Overseas superstars in skills, especially if this is the sport since their birth and they take equal time to develop, unlike in the real word.
>>
>>66398482
All of those are sprint athletes, soccer is more of a endurance and skill sport.
If it was for the best "athletes" in soccer then african countries would dominate.
>>
File: usmnt-v-ireland-2.png (654 KB, 925x475) Image search: [Google]
usmnt-v-ireland-2.png
654 KB, 925x475
>>66398241
>USA is a shit ton better than Ireland as it is

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
>he actually believes this

don't worry m8, now that USA is losing to Jamaica and Guatemala maybe FIFA will let you play in Oceania instead so you can qualify for the 2022 World Cup
>>
There's never been a question... If America's greatest athletes dedicated themselves to soccer rather than football or basketball, we would be the greatest national team in the world, without question.
>>
>>66398883
How are Gronk and Calvin sprint athletes?
>>
You are too obsessed with physical attributes over technical attributes which doesn't work in football. You'd basically be England mkii.
>>
Deal with it Americheeseburgers

You don't get prizes for running the fastest or kicking the ball the farthest. Your giganiggers would be useless in a sport that requires intelligence and craft.
>>
>>66398883
NFL is essentially a sport about sudden bursts of speed and power then things reset for it to happen again. If they grew up playing soccer instead of football then they would be conditioned for that sport rather than football, so they would have endurance but would still be great athletes.
>>
>>66399047
And if they grew up doing particle physics then they would be conditioned for that instead of eggsmash right? A whole load of ghetto Einsteins right?

WRONG BECAUSE THEY'RE STUPID AND SHIT
>>
>>66398969
Yeah, being 16 they'll decide to play football and would be the best anyways kek

Being a black monkey is useless in 99% of the times here.
>>
>>66399065
Quarterbacks are stupid? All the great QBs would play soccer instead of football so it would be fine.
>>
>>66399089
Yes

The only remotely intelligent person on a handegg team is the coach
>>
>>66399047

Why isn't American Football just called 'American Rugby'?

That would avoid a lot of confusion
>>
>yanks being able to play a sport without 2 minute breaks every 40 seconds
>>
>>66398241
>>66398953
respond to this fucking yanks stop hiding
>>
>>66399126
Rugby was traditionally called football by its followers, or Rugby football by non-fans. It didn't just spring into existence as Rugby. That's why American football has its name in the U.S, their colleges based their game on early rugby rules football.
>>
>soccer
I don't think this semen slurping thread is for me, guys.
>>
>>66399168
There's basketball. It's halfway comparable.
>>
File: Team America 83 Road Team.jpg (457 KB, 1231x982) Image search: [Google]
Team America 83 Road Team.jpg
457 KB, 1231x982
I tend to find the concept of Athleticism being unimportant in this game to be somewhat false. It IS true that with the ball typically at ground level, attributes such as height and strength are neutralized to some extent. Speed on-ball is a vastly different thing to speed off-ball when compared to ball-handling sports. Smaller players have lower centers of gravity making them harder to muscle around and surprisingly more elusive.

But then you have examples like the Round of 16 the US had against Belgium back in the '14 WC. Especially when the ball was in the air, you saw the Belgians REPEATEDLY out-muscle, out-position, and out-jump the Americans. They were athletically superior in size and when the ball was off the ground it meant a LOT.

I wish I could elaborate more, but I'm currently stuck in the development HELLHOLE of the 1870's.
>>
>>66399278
No one gives a shit.
>>
>>66399278
they were superior in every way
>>
File: neanderthal.png (86 KB, 146x215) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal.png
86 KB, 146x215
>>66399278
evolution proven

atheists: 1
christians: 0
>>
>>66399035
it's true
>>
File: clough.jpg (48 KB, 468x286) Image search: [Google]
clough.jpg
48 KB, 468x286
>>66399278
Young man. If God had meant football to be played in the air he would have put grass in the sky.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.