[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of the FA Cup? You Yuros seem so dismissive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: facup-the-cup_3323603b.jpg (23 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
facup-the-cup_3323603b.jpg
23 KB, 620x387
What's the point of the FA Cup?
You Yuros seem so dismissive of our playoffs yet have a more random and seemingly more meaningless knockout tournaments?
It makes team so little money
And people seem to complain more about than anything
So why is it still around?
>>
>this flag
>this post
>>
>>66142211
Lower divisions teams can compete once in the year with the biggest clubs plus muh tradition
>>
>>66142211
>Arsenal gets knocked out of the FA Cup
>American makes a thread about how the FA Cup is stupid

what a coincidence
>>
>>66142211
We have cups to fill in comercial time u assburgers apreciate so much
>>
>>66142211
The FA Cup is fun because everyone gets to take part, even I've scored in the FA Cup. Can't say that about any other tournament Arsenal and Chelsea also take part in.
>>
>>66142243
I don't give a fuck about Yuro teams
>>
>>66142211
it's neat because practically every registered club in england takes part.

but that's not the point, the problem with your playoffs is that it renders an entire season's worth of work into nothing more than tournament seeding.
>>
File: Thiago Motta.jpg (70 KB, 990x665) Image search: [Google]
Thiago Motta.jpg
70 KB, 990x665
>>66142211
>that flag
>>
>>66142376
We've got one of these shitty things too
>>66142373
The season isn't over by the start of the playoffs
>>
>>66142211
>What's the point of the FA Cup?
Drink champaigne. Close the thread.
>>
>that flag
>that gibberish

Hank pls
>>
>>66142373
>your playoffs

Isn't Canada part of MLB, the NBA, MLS, and the NHL?
>>
>>66142794
Canadians consider themselves Americans or non-american whenever it's convenient for them
But this is a Yuroboo
>>
>>66142794
except for NHL and mlels only toronto is a part of those, and Toronto is practically american. Really, all of canada is practically america
>>
>>66142923
The CFL has Playoffs
>>
File: 1448805020107.jpg (40 KB, 450x410) Image search: [Google]
1448805020107.jpg
40 KB, 450x410
>>66142970
>cfl
>relevant outside the deserted oily wasteland of alberta
>>
>>66142211
I don't make fun of your playoffs, I make fun of your regular season
>>
File: american dream.gif (2 MB, 305x244) Image search: [Google]
american dream.gif
2 MB, 305x244
>>66142211
>what's the point of keep playing the oldest most historical trophy in the world?
>this flag
>>
>>66143053
Shut up Italy, no one is talking to you
>>
>>66143129
don't make me wave my hands at you
>>
>>66143096
Old things die off
Besides, ours has been ran continuously longer
>>
>>66142319
yet he knows about the FA cup, let me take a wild guess and say you're a sounders fan
>>
>>66143215
Or have access to the internet
Say, I don't know, /sp/?
Wikipedia?
You know who the Sounders are
>>
>>66143298
I'm a big MLS aficionado m8, I watch almost every game, it's like paying a visit to my grandparents
>>
>>66142373
If you can't win in the playoffs, your regular season's work is questionable at best. Face it. This is why March Madness is the best sports tournament on Earth to watch, why the MLB postseason never gets it wrong, and why the Super Bowl is the spectacle it is today. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your sport and it's fine if you don't like mine. But advocating for a non-postseason is stupid.
>>
>>66143339
>watching almost every MLS game

Fucking hell that is bad.
>>
>>66143298
If you'd wiki the FA Cup you'd see that it came more than a decade before the league was founded.
>>
>>66146324
Shut up. Do you not understand that you're fucking retarded? You probably don't live in a relevant state, it's okay, but don't make the rest of us seem stupid as fuck.
>>
>>66142211
Oldest cup in english football, basically every team in the country enters it. Theoretically, a village team could win it. It would be dumb to get rid of it because the fans enjoy it, it appeals to the marketing of 'muh history' 'muh parity' etc. also what would you replace it with?
>>
Wtf m8?
How can you hate a based competition like the national cup where almost every team can participate?
It's a chance of a lifetime to get to see your local club play a very big club.

Also it's fun as fuck.

Fucking Americans and their franchises jesus christ.
>>
>>66142211
Oldest football tournament ever. It's played since 1871. And every registered club in England can participate it.

Imo, Coupe de France is better, because clubs from overseas departments also can participate it. Technically a Tahiti or Reunion club can win the Coupe, for example.
>>
>>66142211
>It makes team so little money
Non-league clubs get massive amounts of TV money if they make it far enough.
>>
>>66142211
>The biggest, most prestigious and most famous domestic cup competition in the world
>One of the oldest tournaments in sports, let alone football
>Steeped in tradition, the cup usually presented by the Queen or a member of the British Royal family
>Known as THE cup that kids grow up dreaming about winning
>Literally known as "THE cup" and can be referred to as "The cup" and everyone will know what you're referring to

Please consider suicide OP.
To a lot of older fans (50+), the FA cup is seen as more coveted and more prestigious than the Champions League. They're not wrong, just a different perspective. But it's a very common opinion that this trophy is the pinnacle of football.

>b-b-but muh money
There's more to life than money.
>>
>>66146503
I live in the most relevant city in the world. Try again dork
>>
Soccer beginner here.

I love watching the cup, but why does the League/Capital One Cup get only a fraction of the attention the FA Cup does? It seems like teams don't even care about winning it.
>>
>what is the point in the oldest football competition in the world
>why would anyone be interested in something that has been won by dozens of different teams
>there is no meaning in this
>>
>>66147945
Why do you have an American flag if you live in London? On holiday?
>>
>>66147963
Not as historic, not as prestigious, not as much money, and not as many teams participate in it.

Whereas the FA Cup has every team in Britain participating, the League Cup only has football league/premier league teams participating.
>>
>>66148061
He said RELEVANT
>>
>>66147963
It's newer and involves only league teams, which means you can't get involved if you're from a smaller town.

The FA Cup final is the one everyone else copied. Its the original. It predates most of the teams in it. The league cup is something but it's simply not as important.
>>
>>66142211
>What's the point of the FA Cup?
To let every professional member of the FA play in a single competition.
>You Yuros seem so dismissive of our playoffs yet have a more random and seemingly more meaningless knockout tournaments?
These are nothing like each other at all. Are you an idiot
>It makes team so little money
Not really.
>And people seem to complain more about than anything
Only plastic foreigners.
>So why is it still around?
To piss stupid foreigners like you off.
>>
>>66147963
1. Only league teams are in it, which means no 'magical moments' when some pub team manages to somehow get a game against a Premiership club and increases their annual revenue by 1000000%
2. There's already the FA cup, a more established and loved competition that has been going for years longer and the format is very similar to it.
3. In modern football, the top teams can't afford to play full strength teams in EVERY competition, they have the league to think about, Champions League or Europa league, the FA cup too many games, not enough players. It's only natural that they rest players for the league cup and this devalues the competition further. Nobody cares if Man United or Arsenal are playing if it's just their reserves and subs.
4. The final is played in the middle of the season which is ridiculous. Traditionally cup competitions have their finals at END of the season and it's usually the last game of the season. i.e. the climax. It just feels weird having it in February.
5. The winners of the FA cup qualify for the Community Shield and Europa League. It's extra motivation and a chance to win further trophies. The winners of the league cup get a pat on the back.
>>
>>66148102
>Cultural and financial hub of the world.
>Literally the centre of the world where timezones are decided from (GMT)

Yeah, okay m8.
>>
>tfw no clubs from british overseas departments allowed to play in FA Cup
>>
>>66148296
>having to travel away mid-week to Falkland Islands FC
>>
>>66146620
>the fans enjoy it
It seems the majority of fans see it as a nuisance
History is only as important as you make it out to be and the parity is even faket than ours
>>66147895
But there's not much more to sports than money
>>66148209
>The winners of the FA cup qualify for the Community Shield and Europa League.
League Cup winner also qualify for Europe and the community shield is even more memeier than these cups
>>
>>66148254
Literally no lol

All these meme competitions and you can't even get one right. Well, the Champions League is right, but that's all of Europe, not just the FA.
>>
>>66148951
>League Cup winner also qualify for Europe
No, they don't. Only applies if the team that won the FA cup has already qualified for Europe and such other stipulations and clauses.
>>
>>66148951
>But there's not much more to sports than money
Not sure why you think this, it's a pretty weird opinion to have. I've never given money a second thought when it comes to football. Other than 'value' in the transfer market that is.

Couldn't give a toss how much money the guys at the top earn, I just want to see my club lift silverware.
>>
File: theo epstein.jpg (42 KB, 383x550) Image search: [Google]
theo epstein.jpg
42 KB, 383x550
>>66149398
>he thinks money doesn't matter in sports
>>
>>66149369
>Winners also qualify for European football with a place in the UEFA Europa League - although this place is transferred to the highest-placed Premier League team not already qualified for Europe, should the winner also qualify for the Champions League at the end of the season.
>>66149398
It's what the guys running it care about
>>
>>66149481
>>Winners also qualify for European football with a place in the UEFA Europa League - although this place is transferred to the highest-placed Premier League team not already qualified for Europe, should the winner also qualify for the Champions League at the end of the season.
Yes exactly. So just like I said, it requires a number of conditions for it to happen.
>>
>>66149472
Didn't say it doesn't matter, it's just a factor. Obviously it matters you retard.

Do you think the top clubs are worried about making their £50 million back on a player they have signed? Are they fuck. It's all about winning trophies.
>>
>>66149616
They qualify for the Europa League unless they qualify for the Champions League
Exactly the same as the FA Cup
>>
>>66149700
No, they don't.

And the winners of the FA cup go straight into the group stage and are seeded.

The winners of the bullshit cup, even if they get through on their technicality and haven't been BTFO by one of the top 7 placing teams which, let's face it is a nailed on certainty and has never not happene, will have to play in the THIRD qualifying round, so they have a fourth round to play as well. 4 matches before they can even enter the group stage as an unseeded team.

i.e. pretty unlikely they'll even make the group and even if they do, it's likely they will get BTFO and make next to no money at all
>>
>>66149877
So you're getting me on a bullshit technicality?
>>
>>66149987
I'm explaining why the league cup is a piece of piss and nobody gives a shit about it.

It might be interesting for mid-table club in league 2 who have spent the past 20 years of their history between 8th and 13th place, and this is their one chance (500/1 chance) of silverware and their one chance of having an interesting game against unique opposition in the season but apart from that it's dead-rubber.

The FA cup on the other hand, is one of the holy trinity of club trophies.

The Champions League, The Premier League, the FA cup.

The coveted treble.
See
>>66148209
>>66148209

It's the original domestic, knockout cup competition that every country in the world has copied. It's famous and historic. Very special and full of history.
>>
>>66150157
I understand the league cup is a piece
I'm saying that the FA Cup is also a overhyped piece of shit too
The reasons for the FA Cup being important historically are mostly gone
>>
>>66150273
Not going to bother explaining it again, it's well documented ITT. Read it and you'll learn why. I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you. You're wrong.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.