[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
looking back on it, Duncan had the best career of the 4 top PFs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 1
File: kevin-garnett-tim-duncan.png (470 KB, 599x449) Image search: [Google]
kevin-garnett-tim-duncan.png
470 KB, 599x449
looking back on it, Duncan had the best career of the 4 top PFs
but between Dirk/KG/Duncan/Malone
who would have done more if they were drafted by the Spurs in 1997?

I say KG would've brought more rings
>>
>>66117798
Duncan would have done the best, and did do the best in real life.

Everything happened for a very specific reason: Duncan is the best out of those options.
He is durable, consistent, has great BB IQ and has longevity. He didn't have a couple peak seasons and then become a washed up turd who had to retire.
>(like KG or even Kobe for that matter)
>>
>>66117847
This. No one was calling the Spurs the best organisation in basketball before Duncan was drafted
>>
>>66117885
>>66117847
they only got Duncan because Robinson got injured and he was carrying the team at that point
Duncan got 7 years to be mentored by one of the best defending big men and respectable players to play in the 90s, also an MVP

if that wouldn't have effected the other three along with the Poppovich bond, idk
>>
>>66117905
Duncan was All NBA 1st Team and All Defensive 2nd Team as a rookie. He didn't need a mentor.
>>
>>66117954
and Finals MVP as a sophomore
>>
>>66117905
At no point in Duncan's career was Robinson the best player on the Spurs roster.
>>
Duncan has been an old man longer than most of /sp/ has been watching the NBA. You fuckers need to go back and watch him when he was young. He was almost unstoppable. Couldn't stop scoring, actually jumping and dunking, a monster around the rim.

When Lakers-Spurs was a rivalry he was the best player on both teams, it's just that the Lakers were better overall.
>>
>>66117983
he was still mentored. you think KAT would be this good if he didn't have garnett to teach him his ways?
>>
>>66117798
kg told duncan on mothers day when they played to wish his mother happy mothers day on his behalf knowing she died of cancer earlier. fuck that guy
>>
>>66118062
You talk about how "7 years of mentorship" played a big role in his career success. No, no it didn't. Duncan was Duncan from the start: elite defender, polished post moves, and calm demeanor.

Having Robinson around certainly didn't hurt, but Duncan would still have been Duncan without him.
>>
>>66117847
What? Duncan has been washed for YEARS, if you watched him play pre 2008 you would know that, the reason he's still playing is because his team is contenders every year dispite of him at this point and it's been this way since 2010... Duncan never had to carry a sub par team like KG did in 04 or like Dirk did in 06,07, 2011, 09 etc

Also Kobe had better longevity as the number 1 option (same for Dirk) the numbers show it, Kobe had one of the GOAT seasons for a player at age 34...

Duncan is heavily overrated because of rings, give Malone or Barkley just 1 ring and theyre better than Duncan, give Dirk or KG 2 rings and theyre better than Duncan
>>
>>66118302
>the best defensive big man in the league at the age of 40
>washed up
lmao
>>
>>66117798
wow Petit is better than Dirk, Malone and KG.

>>66118062
Yes, absolutely. KG isn't a teacher, fucking all-star professional athletes do not mentor or teach younger players jack. fucking. shit. That's what 15 year veteran minimum players are for, guys like Battier and Jefferson.
>>
>>66117983
Nah, probably the first couple years he was the best. People sleep on Robinson, he's a top 5 center all time.
>>
>>66118313
He's not best defensive big man in the league you delusional fag, AD is. And Duncan only plays what 12 minutes a game and 2 games a week?
>>
>>66117905
>they only got Duncan because they did the most notorious and flagrant tanking job in the history of the NBA at that point

Now it's just common sense. Spurs were always trendsetters.
>>
>>66118302
This is mostly correct. It's definitely not ''dispite of him'' because he's a fucking amazing leader and teammate by all accounts. I'm sure Duncan doesn't make a team worse, even at this point.

That said, he probably always had more talent around him than Kobe, KG, and Dirk. Plus a better coach.
>>
>>66118302
Also, Barkley wouldn't even start in today's NBA. He's what the kids nowadays would call a meme player.
>>
>>66118361
97/98 - Duncan's rookie season

Robinson - 21.6 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, .511 FG%

Duncan - 21.1 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 2.7 apg, .549 FG%

this was also Robinson's last season with 20+ ppg
>>
>>66118391
Robinson faced the great centers of the 90s, Duncan faced the great power forwards of didn't exist. Stats don't tell the story, if you're talking about basically the exact same stats I'll take the MVP 10-year NBA veteran every time.
>>
>>66118363
>lowest defensive rating on the best defensive team in the league (players over 8mpg)
>not the best defensive big man in the league
>>
>>66118427
What great centers exactly? The only great center in the West at that time was Shaq and he was injured for half of the season
>>
>>66118466
Nah, I don't think so.
>>
>>66118302

>overrated because of rings

>mfw /sp/ thinks you can be a ringbabby
>>
>>66118495
Hakeem. And he played other teams in the NBA outside of the Western conference. And half the season is still half the season of competition. You're nuts if you a think a clueless rookie is legitimately better than The Admiral in 1997, a ten year veteran and MVP. I believe you have absolutely zero respect for the profession and probably all working people. You are a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away.
>>
>>66117798

>wanting someone who screams nigga 50 times a game

that would alienate some teammates and make them perform at a lower level
>>
>>66118533
>Hakeem
You mean the corpse of Hakeem that missed 45 games and averaged 16 points?

>You're nuts if you a think a clueless rookie is legitimately better than The Admiral in 1997, a ten year veteran and MVP.
Well, he did confirm it by leading the Spurs to a title and winning the Finals MVP the very next season
>>
KG is so insanely overrated. T-Mac as well. Shit players on shit teams who just padded their stats because nobody else was any good.
>>
>>66118564
Have you been diagnosed for autism? Have a good day, edgelord.
>>
>>66118573
>autism
>edgelord
should've thrown more buzzwords in there, maybe it'd hide the fact that you have 0 arguments
>>
>>66118579
Not that guy but BTFO
>>
>>66118579
Mad as fuck.
>>
>>66118390
Barkley would be the best player in the NBA today and it wouldn't be close..

Since the 1985-86 Season:

40+ Pts, 20+ Reb, 50+%FG:
1) Shaquille O'Neal 4
2) Charles Barkley 3
3) Patrick Ewing 2
4) Five others with one

30+ Pts, 20+ Reb on 50+%FG:
1) Charles Barkley 20
2) Shaquille O'Neal 16
3) Hakeem Olajuwon 11
4) Patrick Ewing 6
5) Kevin Willis 6

20+ Pts, 20+ Reb, 50+%FG:
1) Charles Barkley 40
2) Shaquille O'Neal 29
3) Dwight Howard 26
4) Hakeem Olajuwon 25
5) Kevin Garnett 14

30+ Pts, 15+ Reb on 50+%FG:
1) Shaquille O'Neal 100
2) Charles Barkley 80
3) Hakeem Olajuwon 62
4) Karl Malone 54
5) David Robinson 43
>>
>>66118605
lol he was a fat choge
>>
>>66118615
So was Shaq, still doesn't change the fact that they were beast
>>
>>66118605
>>66118615
If Barkley had started his career today, this year
with how many kids are growing up working on their shots and Barkley had a decent jumper,
he would most likely be the GOAT small forward
no doubt
>>
>>66118630
Shaq played in a completely different era and was considerably better the entire time, while being taller and bigger and twice the athlete.
>>
>>66118605
Ironic that you don't see Duncan's name on any of those list
>>
>>66118637
And Eddy Curry would have killed it in the 80s
>>
If Rodman was atleast a 15+ ppg scorer consistently, he would've got the MVP one year
>>
>>66118658
More like Jamal Mashburn but stronger
>>
>>66118666
only because people would be sick of voting for Jordan, which is why Barkley and Malone got theirs. And also Rodman would have to average like 25-30 ppg.
>>
>>66118570
KG is not overrated are you a fucking child. Look at what this dude did from 97 to 2008. He was an absolute monster and one of th3 most versatile players ever. It just sucks he wasted all those years in minny
>>
>>66118691
Yeah, he was really, really overrated. Basically Kevin Love of the 90s. You like him because he yelled. Fucking kill yourself Canada.
>>
>>66118681
>Karl Malone
97 and 99 senpai
>Barkley
he's the best evidence that Rodman could've won it, Rodman was on mvp polls in like 88, 89, and a few more times through out the nineties
>>
>>66118701
Yeah, I'm just saying he wouldn't be the real MVP. Those guys all got it only because people didn't want Jordan to have like ten of them.
>>
>>66118695
>>66118691
I'm American and I co sign Canada man, you fucking kevin love dick sucking fag nancy fairy boy, I bet KG stuck his milk dud dick shaped head in you mama pussy boi
>>
>>66118716
wow you're a faggot lmao
>>
>>66118666
Rodman averaged 27ppg in college, he could've averaged 15-17 in the NBA but he rebounds would drop about 5-6 per game and he would look like an ordinary PF role player with 15pts/11reb stat lines
>>
>>66118711
that's like saying they gave KD the real mvp because LeBron was getting to many of them... are you saying that?
>>
>>66118723
>he could've averaged 15-17 in the NBA
LOL!!!!!

kill yourself. his teams literally played 4-on-5 on offense.
>>
>>66118726
Well, Rose got one precisely because of that + The Decision
>>
>>66118726
The difference between KD and LeBron is miniscule compared to the difference between Jordan and Malone/Barkley/Rodman/Whoever
>>
>>66118733
Rose got it because the Bulls were the best team in the league and he was their leader
Just like Nash, Curry, and every other point guard to win one, bad example.
Next example.
>>
>>66118727
Do you know how many offensive rebounds Rodman would get directly underneath the rim and pass it back out because he gave 0 fucks about scoring? Like i said the man averaged 27 in college, if he wanted to score, 15-17pts a night wouldnt be hard for him
>>
>>66118756
You're so fucking stupid.
>>
>>66118762
Rodman with a 34pt/24reb game in 1990
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4WXNq4-F6A

Rodman averaged 11pts in his 2nd year off the bench, 15-17ppg is 3 more baskets, if he actually wanted to score he could average 15-17ppg faggot
>>
>>66118754
Serious question. Will Rose be the first MVP to NOT make the HOF?
>>
>>66118762
God fucking kill yourself you fucking dumb bitch

Dennis Rodman played in the NAIA. Fucking stupid faggot, go read a book you ignorant ass piece of trash. He was putting up less than 30 points a game against future insurance adjustors and shipping clerks. You should be fucking humiliated you faggot
>>
>>66118813
Maybe the first player to get MVP and not make first ballot
considering how big of a fan favorite was from 2009 to 2013, it seems impossible to not let him in

and just having an MVP is good enough really, even if injuries got the better of him
>>
if Ben Wallace scored 20 ppg from 2001 to 2007
he would be the 2nd best big man in the 2000s behind Shaq
>>
no

the best part about timmy is that he's incredibly efficient. kg was never really a team player like duncan was until it was too late

timmy was the best at what he did and didn't take shots away from anyone else. no he's not even a little flashy but his brand of basketball is the objective best in terms of unstoppability
>>
>>66118390
This is one of the dumbest things I've read. The guy is generally considered the 2nd best of his time, only behind MJ. The guy was undersized and still put up ridiculous stats.
>>
>>66117798
I think people really underestimate the effect of Duncan's personality. When your star player is the kind of quiet but firm leader that Duncan is, it affects not just the team, but the entire organisation. Garnett is a great leader too, but there's just something different about Duncan's leadership, and I don't think it's something that is because of his organisation - rather, his organisation is different because of him. Malone for some reason doesn't quite strike me as, personality-wise, having the same type of intangibles as Duncan and Garnett. And unfortunately, Drik's defence, while not terrible, isn't comparable to Duncan's or Garnett's.
>>
>>66117905

There's also a reason Duncan was drafted first overall too...he was elite going in to the NBA. Robinson might have helped but Duncan had it all from the get go
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.