[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pickup/Open Gym Basketball General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: 13726-banner-baball-.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
13726-banner-baball-.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
Anyone else play rec sport pickup/open gym basketball?

I recently found a goldmine on Wednesday and Saturday nights.

>Free open gym at suburban mega church with nice basketball court.
>About 30-40 guys show up.
>45% streetballin nigs from the hood, 45% ex-Chad soccer dads that attend church there, 10% other.

I am 6'3" 170 lb lanklet mode. I have been playing a couple weeks and am shooting 4/13 fg and 1/4 from three, so definitely need work there but I have been working on different aspects of the game.

Actually boxing out my guy on a rebound has proven to work great. Nobody else does it there and they just randomly leap for the board. Admittedly, my height and long gangly arms work in my advantage for this.

Any other tips or discussion on this great sport?
>>
you should've started playing earlier if you want to get better
you can always do ball handling drills and shit to help your shooting form but for the most part it's only preteens and teenagers doing that
>>
>>66108305
>shooting 4/13 fg and 1/4 from three

stop shooting. your stats aren't very good.

focus on conditioning and playing d during the game. if you can lock down your guy, you'll get picked every time

work on your j on your own time
>>
I'll play with some friends and some pickup guys at the gym. We have a local recreational center in my town and a lot college aged kids go to it. Pretty good pool of talent there actually. One of my friends played Euro ball in Israel and 2 more played college ball, (not d1 though), so we don't bother playing against the old guys there.
>>
>be 5'9"
>only m8s who play pickup are 6'6" and 6'8"
>>
>keeping track of your fuckin stats

HOLY SHIT KILL YOURSELF
>>
Just shit on someone 1v1 today
Drain 3s in his face, blew past him to the hoop, shut him down on d with my length and quick foot speed etc.
Would love to play some /sp/ergs t bh
>>
Played for the first time in years a couple weeks ago. I work at a sporting arena and am in charge of all the basketball courts so I basically big dicked my way to set up a pickup game.

My jumper is complete trash. I haven't played since early high school days and I'm 22 now, gained a lot of functional strength. Every shot veers left or is a bit too far.

But my D is still top notch based off of athleticism, reaction time and hand eye coordination. Need to hit up the park and work on my shots and handle.
>>
Ya occasionally, I usually don't try anything to crazy, just play decent positional D without being a douche (ie, the guy throwing moving screens n shit like that) and try to move the ball around. Im a pretty horrid 3 point shooter, like MAYBE 25% on a good day, but can drive the hoop and have decent enough handles to create space and get something done.

I mostly just try to not do too much, although I'd say my defensive game is a million times better than my offense. stealing the ball away from cocky philipinos while they try to pull off crosses like iverson is my bread and butter. But ya most of the time on offense I'll either look for the pass or easy layup
>>
fugly goblin munchkin chink kek
>>
>6'4" 230LB NCAA wide receiver/TE
I love going to the student rec center and dunkin on kids. Lotta other guys on my yeam play inramural, but i sat out this year cuz of an offseason quad injury.
>>
>>66111368
This. I try to dribble as little as possible.
>>
>>66109653
this
>>
File: olypenjets.jpg (13 KB, 425x301) Image search: [Google]
olypenjets.jpg
13 KB, 425x301
After high school I played about half a season of semi pro football for fun. It was fun until real-fucking-life hit and job schedules got in the way.

So naturally 6 years and a lot of athleticism lost later, I'm going to go back out there. Wish me luck bros
>>
>tfw you used to have a young man game, but now you have an old man game

I'm only 27, so I'm still fairly athletic, but thanks to injuries I try to stay on the floor now. Got that fadeaway high post shot down to a science and I'm getting better in the low post. Every once and a while I'll go vintage and blow past someone on a drive or send a weak take out of bounds, but I know I'm well on my way to being rec-league tier.
>>
>>66117902
>tfw when your young and have an old man game

you grew up in the Kobe generation family, you should only have an old man game
>>
File: hFy9hQh.jpg (69 KB, 936x936) Image search: [Google]
hFy9hQh.jpg
69 KB, 936x936
I play in a rec league. $40 bucks every 3 months or so if you have a full team. Pretty fun and most of the hood niggas dont want to pay the fee
>>
>>66117920

I grew up on And1. Wasted my time trying to do that shit instead of taking basketball seriously.
>>
Who tracks their stats during pickup lol. I'm a manlet so I have a wet ass jumper but I mostly look to set up everyone else. Pickup game Steve Nash senpai
>>
File: CBP.jpg (64 KB, 485x343) Image search: [Google]
CBP.jpg
64 KB, 485x343
I used to play basketball at lunch in high school

I was not very good.

One time I sprained my ankle.

Okay, this has been a good thread.
>>
>>66118017
>manlet
>wet ass jumper

cringe
>>
>>66118101
stay mad and get my rebounds bitch
>>
>>66108305
>tracking your stats while just having a game with the lads
>>
>>66118113
>Canadian
>claims he's got game like Nash
>probably white
cringe
>>
>>66118208
>padding your stats while just having a game with the squad
>>
File: 20160312_063923_366.jpg (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160312_063923_366.jpg
1 MB, 1080x1920
Look where I am!
>>
>>66120343
>playing pickup this early in the morning
>>
>>66121909
6-830 a.m.
>>
>keeping track of your stats in pickup games

Autism-tier
>>
>>66120343
Is this the plus 40 league
>>
>>66109049
This right here is the best advice. Pro tip regarding pick up 5v5: play face up D on your man and just follow him. If you can guarantee that he won't score a basket then you'll be picked every single game. Don't worry about back picks. It's rare to see them used.

Source: 5"11 King Manlet. Box out and defend like Gary Payton and everyone will love picking you.
>>
I will beat any of you fuckers itt
>>
>>66126592
Sure thing nigger. I'm sure you're the type to play hero ball. When you miss, everyone rolls their eyes.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.