[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best NBA team of all time, any season? I'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 641x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 641x426
What's the best NBA team of all time, any season?

I'd say the 1971-72 Lakers.
>won 33 straight, 69-13 overall
>best rebounder/defensive big in the league
>pair of 25 ppg guards
>solid supporting cast all around
>BTFO defending champs, Milwaukee w/ Kareem
>BTFO New York, who'd beaten them before in '70

Imagine the current Warriors with a much better center. You'd get this team.
>>
>>66022304
>Imagine the current Warriors with a much better center. You'd get this team.
'no'
the two teams revolve around completely different star players and the game was completely different back then
they're more similar to the 00s lakers than GSW
>>
>>66022320

>completely different

IDK m8, Jerry West might not have quite the range of Steph (which would've been superfluous in those pre-3 point line days) but he still had a great jumper and was an even bette passer.

Gail Goodrich could fill it up just as well as Klay.

Wilt wasn't a go-to guy on offense anymore, he had like 14ppg (and made over 60% of his shots, so he wasn't takin that many.)
>>
>>66022304
1. 96 Bulls
2. 85 Celtics
3. 87 Lakers
3. 72 Lakers
4. 16 Warriors
5. 01 Lakers
6. 71 Bucks
8. 14 Spurs
9. 89 Pistons
10. 83 76ers
>>
>>66022304
no lie i think the 01 lakers
>>
>>66022424
good list
>>
>>66022424
no 13 heat?
>>
>>66022599
I don't think they truly belong there. They had a good but not record breaking regular season, they steamrolled weak East and struggled mightily vs the only 2 serious teams they faced (Pacers and Spurs).

That win streak is the only thing they got going for them and it's not even the record
>>
>>66022424
>no 13 Heat

List is automatically shit
>>
>>66022635
ALL THAT APPLIES EXACTLY TO THE 96 BULLS THOUGH!
>>
>>66022653
the 96 bulls had THE record breaking season
>>
>>66022424
>no 67 76ers
>>
>>66022424
what if 16 warriors choke in the playoffs
>>
>>66022653
>good but not record breaking regular season
literally the best regular season in history

>weak East
East was the stronger conference, East had more wins and Orlando, Miami and New York had very good teams

>struggled mightily vs the only 2 serious teams they faced
3-0, 4-1, 4-0, 4-2. where's the struggle? Heat had 2 Game 7s

literally none of that applies to the Bulls
>>
>>66022599
>>66022636
I had them at 10. They barely miss out only because the 16 Warriors turned into a GOAT team this season.

>>66022670
60s are hard to judge since the comp wasn't very loaded with teams to play differently against. I don't even think you can include some of the early 70s seasons without the rare exception being Lakers and Bucks since it both had top 5 all-time players on it.

>>66022675
I thought this was only for the regular season? And I doubt they'll choke in the playoffs unless they face the Spurs at anytime during their run.
>>
>>66022834
>I thought this was only for the regular season?
How can you include the 01 Lakers for the regular season? The reason for this team's greatness is that they almost swept the playoffs, they were underwhelming in the regular season
>>
>>66022424
I approve of this list, of the rest of the Anglo-sphere you're the coolest Australia
>>
>>66022424
96 Bulls are not the greatest team. Celtics were better, Lakers were better, Bucks were better
>>
>>66022653
Fuck off retard
>>
>>66022834
I don't even think the Spurs could take them out. If/when they meet it will be a good series but it will pan out like last year with the Grizzlies. I was certain they would take the Warriors out, turns out I was wrong as fuck.

If they don't win the championship it will be akin to 18-1, except worse in a way because of how a series rules out flukes
>>
>>66022908
Celtics were better, Lakers were better, Bucks were better
why didn't they go 73-9 then?
>>
>>66022930
Mid 90s were dogshit and the league was diluted from expansion and caught in the talent vacuum from the Greats of the 80s retiring. Bird, Magic, etc.
>>
>any pre-1990 team beating a modern team

wew

The fucking sixers could beat the 71-72 Lakers. Jerry West in his prime couldn't evem make the cut today on most big college teams.
>>
>>66022945
No, you're stupid.

Larry Bird would smoke Curry.
>>
File: kek3.jpg (50 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
kek3.jpg
50 KB, 600x400
>>66022957
>Larry Bird would smoke Curry
>actually thinking this

I bet you think Bill Russell could outplay Shaq too.
>>
>>66022970
I don't know I literally haven't even seen footage of the guy. Were cameras even invented?

You should probably watch Larry Bird games, because you seem like an ignroant caricature to everyone right now.
>>
>>66022940
>mid 90s were dogshit

By that logic no team from the turn of the millennium on should be included because if the 90s were dogshit everything since has been dirty brown water dogshit
>>
>>66022986
I have seen Larry Bird games. Maybe you should realize that the level of athleticism and skill then is nowhere near what it is now.
>>
>>66022872
Like I said with the early 70s squads, you can't ignore a team that has a top 5 all time player in it, and that Lakers squad had arguably two top 5 guys all time in it.

>>66022908
Just because they're ranked behind a team, doesn't mean its a huge gap between. If I believed in ties, I'd have all three ranked first but I give 96 Bulls the edge since it was prime MJ, prime Pip, Rodman who was just as, if not more, productive than he was on the Bad Boy Pistons squad, a great bench, all played under an unstoppable triangle system with Phil Jackson at the helm.

>>66022927
You have to remember, this is a better Spurs squad with more offensive firepower than the Grizzlies could ever hope to achieve and and even better defense, not to mention Pop. Sure the Warriors have gotten better too but with what was shown by the Lelkers, its possible to trap Curry and slow down the Warriors. And I know for sure Pop is having a field day with the game tapes today.
>>
>>66022970
Larry Bird would fucking run train on the league

>but muh athleticism

He played in an era where him choking out Laimbeer/Dr. J was pretty much expected and clotheslines were regularly used. He would be at the line non stop

Add to that a floor sense that is unrivaled in the current league, an elite shot and you have a guy that would dominate the league the way Lebitch was supposed to
>>
>>66023018
Why even bother? He probably doesn't even have a clue how much shit Bird would talk to his opponents on the court, then back it up.
>>
>>66023005
God you're dumb. If they played, why wouldn't they have access to the same training regiments and equipment?

Larry Bird slaughtered a team after sleeping in the airport and eating onky hotdogs

>>66023008
>Just because they're ranked behind a team, doesn't mean its a huge gap between
Understandable. I'll give you a pass since that record is indeed impressive.
>>
>>66023008
I completely agree with what you're saying. Pop alone could make me think the spurs have a chance. They have a really good team this year. The warriors aren't just offensive based though, last year in the finals Curry was trapped pretty effectively some games and it still wasn't enough because their defense is too good, and they are very deep with weapons.
>>
>>66023001
No, because the Bulls were still fucking great, moron. Just overrated.
>>
>>66023044
Dude, the mid 90s had a lot of actually solid to exceptional teams. The Heat had Tim Haradaway and Alonzo Mourning, The Knicks had one of their best teams ever with Chewing, Starks and Oakley, The Magic had one of their best ever teams (and arguably most entertaining) with the criminally underrated Penny and the monster that is Shaq, The Hawks still had their best ever player in Wilkins, who while in decline still has a monster, The Pistons were also coming out of their bad boy era but that still went on into the mid 90s. Again, while obviously in decline they were still a good team. The Hornets had Johnson and Mourning until they traded him to the Heat for mother fucking Rice, The Pacers had their best ever player in Miller, the Jazz had THE BEST EVER pick and roll duo in Stockton and Malone, the Rockets had Olajuawon unarguably a top 5 in his very talent laden position, the Timberwolves had their best ever player in KG, the Spurs had the twin towers of Duncan and the Admiral, the Supersonics (rip in peace) had arguably the best defensive and still elite pg and an athletic as fuck Kemp with one Detleff Schrempf, LA had a young Frobe (best Kobe) and mid way through got Shaq. Other teams had great players too (run TMC at Golden State) and other all time greats played during the era too, like Barkley.

Was it as talent laden as the 80s? No, and honestly I don't think the league will ever have such a concentration of all time greats again. Was it still a competitive league? Fuck yeah, it had a lot of solid as fuck teams headed by all time greats at their position or just in general. That, combined with the East being deep as fuck, to me, means the Bulls weren't overrated at all
>>
>>66023157
>Was it as talent laden as the 80s? No
That's literally all I'm saying. I'm not calling for the 96 Bulls to be stricken from the top 10. Just moved down below the Celtics, Lakers, and Bucks because thise teams were just plain better.

Great post though.
>>
File: 800px-Tears_In_Rain.png (245 KB, 800x330) Image search: [Google]
800px-Tears_In_Rain.png
245 KB, 800x330
>>66023189
I think the Bulls were better than those teams, not by much, just barely, but still better. Had the Bulls played against the C's and showtime they wouldn't have set 72-10 but they still would have been best in the league. I see what you're saying though, and there definitely is room for debate. Not the dude that made the list but they'd still be my number 1

>tfw you will never get to see a season of all the franchise best teams playing each other week in week out
>>
>>66023031
This, they have so many solid role players its retarded >>66023044
>>
>>66022424
no 08 celtics?
>>
>>66023189
>>66023189
Nah that Final Boss Bulls team would wreck those 80s teams.
>>
>>66023157
>best kobe

Probably literally the worst Kobe, maybe you should kill yourself. Best Kobe is Old Man Kobe and everybody knows this.
>>
>>66023479
lol no fucking kill yourself idiot
>>
>>66023565
stfu you fat fuck
>>
>>66023479
They're good but top 10 all time good. Their bench lets them down compared to everyone else on that list.
>>
>>66022424
No 01 Lakers? 15-1 playoffs?
>>
>>66024275
>5. 01 Lakers
????
>>
>>66024492
I'm blind
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.