[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the MLS have fans? Every soccer fan I know is a fan of some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: usatsi_7415124.jpg (96 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
usatsi_7415124.jpg
96 KB, 1000x667
Does the MLS have fans? Every soccer fan I know is a fan of some EPL or La Liga team
>>
Every single one of them is a faggot hipster who lives in Seattle or some PNW town

The mlels is a meme league and thoroughly irrelevant both in American sports and worldwide club soccer. They should let it die.
>>
>>65947580
It's a nice retirement home
>>
>>65947396
It is 100% irrelevant right now but it has the opportunity to actually kind of grow. A lot of top tier child prospects are going to start aiming more towards soccer rather than football due to the concussion thing. Once the league gains momentum and money after the white athletes start moving in then black players will also focus on it as well.

The US needs to develop a really good farm system and then the league has a chance to be relevant. But not until then.
>>
>>65947396
>the MLS
>>65947770
>8 players in a 20 team league
>>
File: Atlanta F_Meme.png (135 KB, 1008x1006) Image search: [Google]
Atlanta F_Meme.png
135 KB, 1008x1006
>>65947851
Agree, it's going to take some time, if it ever does.

>>65947396
No home team YET, who /atlantaFC/ here?
>>
>FC
>In a country that calls the sport soccer
I cringe every time
>>
>watch the MLS
>you're a hipster
>watch overseas league instead
>you're a hipster
>>
>>65947396
It's mainly for hipsters or people who want to be different. I'd imagine it consists entirely of the same people who hate america and burn it's flag and post it on facebook, while also supporting BLM.

>>65948251
I've actually never thought of as people who supported overseas leagues as hipsters, then again most of the people who I know that do that are hispanics that support la liga. Still it's nice to have banter with them every now and then.
>>
>>65947580
>>65947770
t. chicano
>>
>>65948251
>try to talk about football
>you're american

Your life is an endless misery m8, i feel sorry for you
>>
>>65948251
so much this. even the shitposting on this site
>be american
>talk about MLS
>hahaha what a shit league amerifat
>bring up point about EPL
>hurr durr this flag this topic

there's no win.
>>
I'd be her fan if you catch my drift
>>
When it comes to soccer I only watch women's for the qts
>>
i would watch mls if everygame wasnt on sunday pm
>>
File: mls.jpg (145 KB, 976x341) Image search: [Google]
mls.jpg
145 KB, 976x341
La Liga averages 26
Serie A 22
Championship 17

There's clearly some fans out there.
>>
>>65948956

The Handegg and Basketball Corporate Cartels will eventually set up a franchise cuckold there and ruin football for Seattle.

>Silly Seattle Goyims! Time to go back to worshipping ''''''''''your'''''''''''''''' Supersonics.
>>
I've actually been surprised that most of the americans that have come here on exchange have had a decent football knowledge. But you're right, they all support euro teams.
>>
>>65948466
>unironically caring about what people on 4chan tell you
>>
>>65947851

mls is designed to discourage youth development tho
>>
>>65947396
No because my state doesn't have a team. Feel free to keep putting them in New York and Los Angeles though.
>>
Haha no. Literally no games are shown at bars. Always international soccer.
>>
>>65947396

>>65947655
>>
>>65948230

Me too. Still better than "Real Salt Lake" though.

I'd actually watch MLS if I didn't have to feel like a faggot for doing so.
>>
>>65948251
Let me simplify it

>be American
>watch soccer
>you're a hipster

You're welcome
>>
>>65947396
>doing your makeup before going to play professional sport
>>
she's genuinely gorgeous
>>
>>65947396
Wouldn't call myself a fan, but I've gone to quite a few rapids games. But to be honest I was bored, the tickets are cheap and the stadium is really close to me.
>>
Most Americans just don't know how superior the Bundesliga is
>>
File: IMG_0932.jpg (7 KB, 89x125) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0932.jpg
7 KB, 89x125
>>65955282

my nigga
>>
>>65955282
Lived in Germany for 5 years. It's not even comparable.
>>
>>65955282
Is it picking up hype since Fox Sports picked it up? I know the EPL, which I've been watching for two seasons now is going strong, but with only one channel, FS1, playing Bundesliga games every week, I can't tell if it's doing well or not.
>>
What's the whitest MLS team?

Is there like a Vermont or Wyoming team I can support?
>>
>>65956266
There's the New England Revolution, but they'd have been relegated along with Colorado and Chicago if we actually had relegation.

Whitest fans is Portland. For all their rainbow flag REFUGEES WELCOME rhetoric, they're the whitest damn place in America.
>>
From what I understand the US college sports system kind of fucks the MLS in the ass. Kids would rather start playing for a pro academy in their teens so they dont stick it out for the draft, which is a stupid system to use for soccer.
>>
File: 246426537386.jpg (36 KB, 294x271) Image search: [Google]
246426537386.jpg
36 KB, 294x271
>>65948311
>>65948466
>>65948522
>>65950111
>>65950800
>>65950944
>>65954977
>>65956266
>>65956644
impressive.

also, nice get OP >>65947396
>>
>>65953941
Ronaldo does it.
>>
I used to follow Columbus Crew back on Barros Schelotto days. Then, when he retired, I tried following the Sounders because. Then lost interest progressively.

You guys should try playing Copa Libertadores.

They should make a North Zone and a South Zone for avoiding long ass travels too often. Then direct elimination with the best 32 or something.
>>
>>65947396
since you asked

Since you asked:

Portugal: Braga, Nacional da Madeira
Spain: Elche, Real Sociedad
France: AS Monaco
Italy: AS Roma, AC Milan
England: Arsenal
Netherlands: Ajax
Germany: SC Freiburg
Scotland: Elgin City
Greece: Panathanaikos
Turkey: Galatasaray
Denmark: FC Copenhagen
Faroe Islands: B36 Tórshavn
Sweden: Halmstads BK
Norway: Molde FK
Finland: FC Haka
Estonia: Flora Tallinn
Latvia: Skonto FC
Lithuania: FK Suduva
Belorussia: BATE Borisov
Ukraine: Shakhtar Donetsk
Moldavia: FC Tiraspol
Serbija: FK Banat Zrenjanin
Republic of Macedonia: FK Metalurg
Albania: KS Flamurtari
Bosnia & Herzegovina: Radnik Bijeljina
Croatia: NK Istra
Bulgaria: CSKA Sofia
Romania: Steaua Bucharest
Switzerland: Basel
Austria: Sturm Graz
Belgium: Lierse SK
Wales: Bala Town
Ireland: Derry City
Northern Ireland: Ballinamallard Utd
Poland: Legia Warsaw
Czech Republic: Sparta Prague
Russia: Zenit St. Petersburg
Cyprus: APOEL Nicosia
Hungary: Ferencváros
Iceland: Valur
Slovakia: Slovan Bratislava
Slovenia: FK Maribor
Georgia: Dinamo Tbilisi
Azerbaijan: Khazar Lankaran FK
Armenia: Ararat Yerevan
Kazakhstan: Atyrau

Non-European countries bonus round:

Australia: Melbourne Heart
Japan: Vissel Kobe, Consadole Sapporo
USA: DC United, Chicago Fire
Costa Rica: Deportivo Saprissa
Mexico: Atlante
Brazil: Corinthians (wherever Jádson goes)
Argentina: Huracán de Comodoro Rivadavia
Ghana: Hearts of Oak
Ivory Coast: ASEC Mimosas
Egypt: Al Ahly
Lebanon: Tripoli SC
The Philippines: Team Socceroo F.C.
Singapore: Albirex Niigata Singapore FC
China: Xinjiang Tianshan Leopard
Hong Kong: Yokohama FC Hong Kong
North Korea: Pyongyang SC
South Korea: Jeju FC
Turkmenistan: Şagadam Türkmenbaşy
India: FC Goa
Uzbekistan: Pakhtakor FK
Iran: Malavan FC
Chile: Prat de Punta Arenas
>>
>>65956850
Fuck off.
>>
>>65958764

>Mexico: Atlante

WHY.jpg
>>
I wanted to know something from you Ameribros.
In Australia football (soccer) has mostly been supported by immigrants from central and eastern Europe whereas the anglos typically follow other sports.
Is this the same in America?

Up until the A-League was founded ten years ago, the sport was basically run by immigrants. Most first-level clubs had ethnic allegiances, this led to ethnic rivalries, for example Greek clubs vs Macedonian clubs, or Serb clubs vs Croat clubs. Although most of the support of these clubs has dried up due to their loss of status in the sporting landscape some of them still hold significant community sway. For example a Melbourne based Greek club drew 11,000 for a cup match this year.

Can anyone comment on the current status of the lower tiers in America? Is there much support?
>>
>>65947396
is that le only attractive at certain angles woman
>>
>>65950062
Nah. They dont need to since Ameridiabetic culture does most of the work
>>
>>65958908
The best-attended lower league teams in the US are NASL's Indy Eleven and NPSL's Chattanooga FC, which outdraw some MLS teams. Both are in bumfuck white flyover territory, so who knows what triggered the enthusiasm. It might just be that it's the only game in town, these places having been ignored by the entirely closed big leagues of other sports, and lower league soccer is somewhat different from other sports in that it is still connected vaguely on an international level.
>>
>>65959138
Indiana actually has a pretty big soccer interest. An MLS team there would be an instant hit I don't know why there isn't one yet.
>>
>>65959138
Okay. Interesting to note that both of those teams are fairly young.
Do you think the interest existed before these teams or the teams have created interest?
>>
>>65959159
Limited expansion slots, and they're probably already spoken for by Sacramento, St. Louis, and San Antonio.

Also can't risk diluting the league with small TV markets in the unlikely event NASL makes a D1 bid.
>>
>>65959189
There's no MLB team in Indiana and there's a bunch of drunk college students with nothing to do from 3 to 7 from spring to fall.
>>
>>65959180
There are some areas of the US that historically had widespread soccer support due to immigrants, like New York, Boston, and New Orleans, while others, like St. Louis, became soccer hotbeds organically. Then there was a national sports culture reset during the Depression and WW2, after which soccer was basically nonexistent until NASL in 1968, then another dormant period after it went bust from 1984 until the 1994 world cup.

Today, it's mostly people who played soccer as kids (and their families) becoming fans, as well as urban Euroboo hipsters. There are still pockets of ethnic soccer support, like pretty much the entire Great Lakes Premier League in Michigan, and of course MLS likes to chase Mexicans in California, and NASL goes after Cubans and South Americans in Florida.

tl;dr America is big and diverse and its soccer culture is a fragmented mess.
>>
File: 24625563738.jpg (24 KB, 247x204) Image search: [Google]
24625563738.jpg
24 KB, 247x204
>>65958844
>>
MLS is closer in quality to relegation tier Championship, more so English League One. If you like the league despite it's structure and differences then watch it. If not then don't.

Soccer fans in US watch EPL only for the most part. People who say they watch La Liga only watch Barca or Madrid. Americans love the best product, and that's not MLS.

Most popular league is Liga MX, most popular national team in America isn't USMNT, it's Mexico.
>>
MLS doesn't have promotion and relegation. USSF who is in charge would have to make that decision and if it ever happens it'll only be within MLS, which in reality isn't real pro/rel. US soccer(football) is a closed system. Teams don't move down to NASL, USL, PDL etc or up from NASL to MLS. Where you are, you're stuck.

You have to buy, pay a franchise fee to get into MLS' pyramid scheme. It's modeled after North American sports leagues. Despite being called clubs, they're actually franchises. It isn't a traditional soccer league in terms of setup.
>>
There is that one guy.

He keeps fighting and winning.
>>
>>65958908
Only Mexicans and Preppy White people watch it here.

The vast majority of Americans don't even know who Messi or Ronaldo are
>>
>>65959138

There isn't a single NASL or USL team that outdrew a single MLS team in the last several years. Just to go back to 2015:

Highest NASL Attendance: Indy Eleven, 9,809
http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/nasl-attendance-2015/

Lowest MLS Attendance: Colorado Rapids, 15,657
http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/mls-attendance-2015/
>>
>>65959557
Nice meme
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.