[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear America,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: MLShit.png (9 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MLShit.png
9 KB, 400x400
Here's how you make your football league relevant:

1. Play August - May seasons
2. Get rid of the salary cap
3. Introduce promotion / relegation

Only then will anybody actually care about your terrible """""""""league""""""""".

Sincerely,

The Rest of the World.
>>
You didnt even include the fact that half the teams play in a Football stadium and not a soccer specific stadium
>>
>I don't have even basic knowledge of other major, much more popular, American sports leagues
>>
File: thinking bout a nigga.png (792 KB, 768x908) Image search: [Google]
thinking bout a nigga.png
792 KB, 768x908
>>65831197
I'll be sure to throw your opinion in the trash where it belongs.

Goodbye.
>>
>>65831219
neither have i
>>
>>65831197
>Play August - May seasons
Into the trash it goes
>>
>>65831234
At least you have the sense not to make a new thread with this weak shit. I hope for OP's sake it was bait.
>>
>>65831197
So basically make it exactly like the epl? Why would the MLS do that? What does relegation / promotion have to do with the success of the league. Please give well thought out ideas with your post next time.
>>
>>65831239
Without playing August - May seasons you will:

1. Never be competitive in the CONCACAF Champions League
2. Never be competitive in the World Cup
3. Never be competitive in the international transfer market
>>
>>65831365
>the CCL
That's wrong but irrelevant nonetheless
That's wrong but irrelevant nonetheless
>>
File: 1455840527559.jpg (71 KB, 592x492) Image search: [Google]
1455840527559.jpg
71 KB, 592x492
>>65831229
Savage.
>>
Agree on 2 and 3 but the first one is stupid, unless they only play midweek matches and never on the weekend. (Which is stupid)
>>
We don't care
>>
Dear Ahmed,
>>65831197 (You)

1. MLS is far more entertaining than """""E"""""""P"""L"
2. No one asked about your opinion
3. Shouldn't you be worried about the best team of your country losing to a bunch of plumbers?

Sincerely,

Part of The Rest of the World implied on your post.
>>
>>65831525
BTFO
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 618x410) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 618x410
>>65831197
>1. Play August - May seasons

Into the trash this thread goes.
>>
>>65831197

Implying it will ever be relevant.
>>
>>65831564
They could just have everyone play in the south and west during the worst months + have some sort of extended winter break

Bigger issue is have fun competing with NFL and college football lol
>>
>>65831352
>So basically make it exactly like the epl?
And La Liga
And the Bundesliga
And Serie A
And Ligue 1
And the Eredivisie
And the Primeira Liga
And the Super Lig
And Liga MX
And Serie A (Brazilian)
And the Scottish Premiership
And the Argentinian league
And the Russian league
And the Colombian league
And the Romanian league
And the Paraguayan league
And the Swiss league
And the Ukrainian league
And the Belgian league
And the Czech league
And the Chilean league
And the Ecuadorian league
And the Greek league
And the South Korean league
And the Saudi Arabian league
And the Cyprian league
And the Bulgarian league
And the Austrian league
And the Norwegian league
And the Japanese league
And the Tunisian league
And the Croatian league
And the Danish league
And the Chinese league
And the Uruguayan league

Etc.
>>
>>65831211
Only 3 teams play in football stadiums, li wang
>>
Anyone have the highlights of that game against Costa Rica that proved why we can't have a winter season?
>>
>>65831877
>implying that wasn't amazing

Spic tears are delicious
>>
>>65831877
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9xuaQDkmL8
>mfw Crapids have to play in this weather
Would be a pretty based home field advantage tbf
>>
>>65831919
I wish we could play every Euro country at home during the winter. Then they'd finally get it
>>
File: europe in NA.jpg (40 KB, 840x558) Image search: [Google]
europe in NA.jpg
40 KB, 840x558
>3. Introduce promotion / relegation

I don't think yuros understand how big, new and spread out America/Canada is compared to their tiny, overpopulated and cramped countries. Also, how few teams there are because of how few shits anyone has given about soccer for the past century
>>
>>65831687
All of those aren't in America
>>65831675
So they could only play in the months between March and November?
So what did the change accomplish?
>>65831919
Yes but I wouldn't want that for a league game
>>
>>65831956
I hope it could happen
But those whose wish for pro/rel now don't understand the soccer scene right now
>>
Who gives a fuck
>>
>>65831956
pro/rel would mean loss of hundreds of millions by sponsors in any of the given leagues (Adidas being the sole supplier in MLS, Umbro and Nike having shares of teams in NASL and lower leagues), mess with the Academy and Draft systems already well estabilished in the leagues, aswell reduce visibility and move goals from teams' front offices.

The only acceptable scenario the US top tier soccer should have pro/rel was if MLS had 40 teams and they split into two leagues (say, MLS 1 and 2), but even then, it would be worse than the current system, which is pretty comfy.

Also this:
>>65832014
>>
>>65831197
>Play August - May seasons

Try playing a soccer game in Chicago, Minnesota , New York, Boston, or Philadelphia anytime between November and February. Also, August-May would mean the MLS would have to compete with the NFL, the NBA, and the MLB playoffs. It would get no airtime, and the league would collapse.

>Get rid of the salary cap

So the league becomes NYCFC/LA Galaxy wins. How fun.

>Introduce promotion / relegation

There isn't enough interest in soccer across the country to support the large number of local clubs needed for promotion/relegation. And it would look terrible for the league to have professional teams playing at local parks with literally a few hundred seats. Soccer is struggling for relevance and prestige in the US and Canada as it is.
>>
>>65831675
>Have a New York team play home games in the south
>>
>>65832002
It could happen with enough growth but that's a long way off. The only sports that could do pro/reg in NA right now are the big NCAA sports. Maybe MLB but I think you'd end up crippling NCAA baseball if you did. That's not even considering the fact that going to pro/reg would destroy so many classic rivalries and no doubt hurt the league's popularity/finances
>>
>>65832065
what
>>
No one in America cares about it either
>>
>>65832152
College baseball is already crippled
I think basketball is what you're talking about
>>
>>65832152
>Maybe MLB
Think of this scenario:

>for some reason, the 20 biggest teams in England feel the need to split from FA because of a claim or a dispute on any given subject
It is achieveable because the teams have a large degree of independence from the association.

on the other hand,
>the 20 biggest teams from MLB feel the need to split from MLB to resolve a claim or a dispute
This is unimaginable. Their front offices and practices are so entwined with the league practices that both the leagues and the teams would disappear unless they got back together. American leagues are ran in a way the existence of the teams is linked to the league; to the point the league it's a brand of it's own which embraces all the teams, while in other countries with different practices, this is the opposite.
>>
>>65832241
I did mean baseball but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to speak in too harsh of terms. If that's the case then it might collapse completely. Imagine every minor league team being cut free from their MLB affiliate and scrambling to sign whatever players they can

Basketball will never do pro/reg because people already don't give a fuck about 2/3 of the league.
>>
I'd sooner watch a WNBA game over a CL game tbqfh.

Let it all burn.
>>
>>65831197
>Introduce promotion / relegation
Dumbest shit I've heard today.
>>
>>65832306
You don't really understand baseball do you?
>>
>>65832306
>tfw my local team (Albuquerque Isotopes ) gets promoted to the MLB and wins the Worlds Eries
>>
File: 1454432055231.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1454432055231.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>65831971
but remember that Chile, Argentina Uruguay and Colombia are in America.

the oldest international football competition in the world?
"Copa America"
>>
>>65831197
>promotion regulation
>LA gets demoted while plucky Shafter FC united gets promoted
>people invested millions and TV ad dollars fall into the shitter for LA
this kills the league
>>
>>65832351
You're definitely in the minority, m8
>>
>>65832301
Oh it would never happen but the point is there are enough teams and national interest to support the system

>>65832388
Don't MLB teams stock their affiliates with players they've drafted/signed? Sure some of those affiliates might be completely owned by a MLB team but let's pretend they are set free. Right now MiLB teams don't have an incentive to spend too much money. As long as they are competitive within their league and draw enough fans they are achieving their goal. If pro/reg is on the table then you would get teams in lower leagues trying to work their way up to a higher league. Right now the only way to get into the major leagues is to buy an existing franchise and be approved by the other owners. Under pro/reg any random rich guy can buy a team and try to force them to the top. That and the elimination of the draft is going to mean a lot more money being thrown at amateurs, no doubt reducing the number of viable players and collapsing the league.
>>
>>65832306
So where do farms for MLB go then?
>>
>>65832664
Farm teams would be dead. Bigger day to day rosters and players on loan would become the norm

I just want to make sure everyone is clear on my position: I think this would be stupid and will never happen but baseball has enough teams throughout the country to make a yuro-style promotion/relegation system work
>>
lets keep povertyball out of america. such a shit sport
>>
>>65831197
>Dear
>America
Stopped reading there
>>
>>65832743
Yeah this sounds retarded.
>>
>>65832396
i thought the dodgers left the topes because the altitude was like colorado and raped pitching prospects
>>65832241
yeah baseball players who go 4 years know they were not good enough to be drafted and just want an education. at most they fart around in high a ball for a season or two after graduation
>>
MLS (Major League Soccer)

the best soccer league in the world
>>
File: 2-480.png (41 KB, 594x504) Image search: [Google]
2-480.png
41 KB, 594x504
>>65833043
Simply the best.
>>
>>65831197
>>outdoor soccer in the dead of winter
>>
>>65831197
>how to run MLS into the ground in 3 easy steps!
>>
>>65833541
This. American culture nowadays doesn't allow for things such as relegation. Everyone is a winner and everyone deserves a medal. Women and minorities should be paid equally, etc.
>>
>>65833661
Mexico pls
>>
>>65833043
Well, there aren't that many 'soccer' leagues.
>>
>>65831197
theres not enough tier-1 MLS teams for that to work
for the mls to be 'better' they need like 3x more good teams, then to split the country into different areas, since america is wides than the entirety of civilised europe
>>
File: Boris.jpg (23 KB, 648x360) Image search: [Google]
Boris.jpg
23 KB, 648x360
>mls.com
Real Estate FC
>>
>>65833742
thats the joke, radivan
>>
>August-May
Will get absolutely slaughtered by the Big Four leagues (especially the NFL from August-February) in North America and by yuropoop leagues elsewhere
>No salary cap
Possible, really won't have much of an effect besides ruining forced parity in the short term
>promotion/relegation
Owners won't have it. Theyll lose viewers (and thus money) if their team gets relegated out of the top league.

Bottom line: the mlels is a meme and a shit one at that. Literally nothing can save it. It exists solely because the US wanted to host a world cup for some fucking reason and the league should just fold before the whole thing falls apart and the owners involved lose a fuckton of money.
>>
>>65831197
who cared about the rest of the world though, fuckboi

>divegrass

lmao faggot back to >>>/lgbt/
>>
>>65831219
yeah well football isn't played like the other shit sports around here, promotion relegation is the best thing to have honestly
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.