[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Del Piero vs Totti
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: del-piero-and-totti.jpg (22 KB, 450x301) Image search: [Google]
del-piero-and-totti.jpg
22 KB, 450x301
The great debate
>>
Their diving techniques are both so immaculate it's hard to separate them, I can't decide between these legends

maybe Totti just because of his amazing referee coercion skills and his world class whining
>>
>>65639676

Don't forget spitting!
>>
Never understood the Totti delusion.

He played for a mid-table club in Italy. In Italy. Not even a mid-table club in England.

Which is fair enough, but for stand out player at a mid-table club in Italy, you'd expect a shit-load of goals, right?

So I'm guessing Totti must have 30+ a season for 6-7 years, right?

>Wrong

He's utterly average.
>>
Del Piero no doubt

>>65639741
Totti's one-club career overrates him, if he had actually left Roma when Real wanted him he probably would not have this status and would probably be retired already.
>>
Skill wise - Del Piero but it's mighty close

Greatness wise (achievements etc) - Del Piero and it's not close
>>
File: #135 - 'Francesco Totti .png (7 KB, 149x805) Image search: [Google]
#135 - 'Francesco Totti .png
7 KB, 149x805
>>65639741
Is this bait ?
He's not even a number 9, but his goal/assist number is quite high.
>>
>>65639741
>Never understood the Totti delusion.
Because you are underage

>He played for a mid-table club in Italy. In Italy. Not even a mid-table club in Englan
lmao eplel is garbage get over it

>He's utterly average.
Yet more talented than any british player ever
>>
Totti, comfortably.

Any other answer is objectively wrong.
>>
File: wpid-wayne-rooney-601018.jpg (38 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
wpid-wayne-rooney-601018.jpg
38 KB, 590x350
>>65641574
Even when he's spitting, Rooney's got more talent that Totshit
>>
>>65639676
>>65639741
two posts in and i'm mad
good job anglos

>>65641114
i never understood this arguement
Del Piero only proved himself in Juventus and was woeful outside of that system, while Totti has proven himself with the NT as well
he didn't leave Roma because it's his childhood club and he loves it (and also because they offered a shitload of money, although less than he could have earned in Madrid)
>>
>>65643362
gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8
>>
>>65643371
>Del Piero only proved himself in Juventus and was woeful outside of that system,

M8, you clearly never watch Sydney FC play
>>
>>65643371
Del Piero proved himself when battling for Serie A titles and in the late stages of the Champions League when it's time to play the best of the best

Totti, not so much
>>
I thought it was already settled.
Pre-injury Del Piero>Totti >>Post injury Del Piero >>>>Old-as-fuck Totti
>>
>>65643371
Del Piero's goal v Germany was pretty big. He's also the fourth highest top-scorer for Italy. All Totti is remembered for is the spit, a poor World Cup 2002, a good World Cup 2006 and retiring from the NT early. If Totti had gone to Real, he probably would've been a better version of Cassano and returned to Italy because Real bought whoever. It's obvious why Totti stayed, and saying Del Piero failed outside a system is ludicrous as during his time at Juve he's been managed by plenty of entirely different coaches. Totti's status is bigger because of his legacy at Roma, and people like him because club loyalty is pretty much dead now.
>>
>>65643404
Del Piero's goal against Germany was meaningless, we had already won that game (not that i didn't enjoy it as much as humanly possible, but still)
>the fourth highest top scorer for Italy
top lel this phrasing is ridicolous, that was his only goal
while Totti was behind 1 every 2 goals Italy scored

Totti was great in every single tournament he played for the NT, he was nowhere near poor in 2002, while Del Piero basically pissed away a Euro Cup in 2000 and disappeared everytime it mattered
>he has been managed by plenty of entirely different coaches
and basically had all his best seasons under Lippi, except for 2008

i don't want to speak ill of Del Piero, he is a legend, a world class player and a model professional
but saying that as a player he was vastly superior to Totti is simply wrong
>>
>>65643404
Totti is the 2nd all time top scorer in Serie A m8.
>retired early
He was 30 when he retired and was literally playing with pieces of metal holding his ankle together during the 2006 WC.
>If Totti had gone to Real, he probably would've been a better version of Cassano
Except Totti has always taken his career serious and is a model professional. How do you think he has been able to play this long? Unlike Cassano who has pissed his talent away, not to mention that Totti is miles better than Cassano could ever hope to be.
>>
I thought this would be closer but then I remembered Totti isn't exactly the most likeable guy to the neutrals.
>>
>>65639741
Why do people rate Gerrard then? Because of a single CL trophy? Totti at least won a Serie A title.
>>
ITT: Underage meets delusion aka the 00s-born english youth talking football
>>
>>65643595
Don't forget his World Cup, which automatically places him miles above Slippy G.
>>
>>65639609
I personally prefer Totti, but Del Piero was a tiny bit better although I think it helped that he played for a much better team.
>>
Alex obviously
>>
>>65643481
i think he meant del piero is the all time fourth highest top scorer for italy
>>
Totti and Del Piero played for different teams, Juventus was always battling for the Scudetto when he was playing there, while Roma didn't.
Let's instead compare their career in the NT

>1998
>Del Piero is the supposed Next Big Thing in Italian football
>He was instead Roberto Baggio's bitch and showed practically nothing at the WC
>Totti wasn't called yet to NT

>2000
>Totti carries the whole team to the final
>Lobbed a fucking penalty against Van Der Sar in a stadium full of orange supporters
>Del Piero, in the other hand, fails the most perfect chance to score, allowing France to win the match

>2002
>Totti is yet again the main man of the NT
>Del Piero manage to score a goal against Mexico
>It was a decisive goal to go on to the knockout stage, I'll give him that
>South Korea knows that the only way to stop Italy is stopping Totti
>Byron Moreno happens

>2004
>Whole team plays like shit
>Totti plays only the first game, then gets expelled after spitting in Poulsen's face
>Del Piero is our only chance to do well against fucking Sweden and Bulgaria
>He literally disappears, Cassano tries to carry the team but we were already fucked after drawing against Sweden and Denmark

>2006
>Post injury Totti still manage to not fuck up anything, scoring as well a vital penalty against Australia
(They're still mad)
>Del Piero manages to do practically nothing except scoring a meaningless goal against Germany
Felt fucking good so I won't really complain
>>
>>65644021
>let's disregard club careers (which are 90% of a player's career) because Totti never had the ambition to battle for the highest honours
fuck off
>>
>>65644034
If Roma and Juve were on the same level their club career could be compared

How do you think they would have performed in different teams? Do you believe that Del Piero could've been the same in Roma? Do you think that Totti could've shined in Juve?
>>
>>65644051
Totti had a chance to play for some of the top teams in the world and didn't take that chance. Del Piero shouldn't be punished in that comparison because Totti lacked ambition
>>
>>65644055

he wanted to win in his favourite club
isn't that ambtion as well?
>>
>>65644086
>he wanted to win in his favourite club
and he failed. why should that failure be disregarded?
>>
For fellow Amerifats, Totti is basically the Dan Marino of soccer, for better or worse.
>>
>>65644104
I wouldn't call a Scudetto and several Coppa Italia a failure, especially in a league highly dominated by Juventus, Milan and Inter

According to your logic then Del Piero as well failed because he didn't manage to win anything besides the leauge in the 00s
>>
>>65644136
>I wouldn't call a Scudetto and several Coppa Italia a failure
By the standards of other great players, I definitely would. No one calls Gerrard's club career a success because he won a CL and a couple domestic cups.

>>65644136
>According to your logic then Del Piero as well failed because he didn't manage to win anything besides the leauge in the 00s
it's good that he also played in the 90s and 10s then. The only way you can make Del Piero look "bad" if you choose to disregard large parts of his career for no reason at all. First his entire club career and now the 90s and 10s
>>
I hope you guys remember that half, or probably more Del Piero's victories came through a heavily bribed sistem

Totti's victories, even if minor in numbers, were clean

Del Piero's victories will always be tainted by the stain of calciopoli (except his CL his later leagues)
>>
>>65644107
Totti won things though
>>
>>65644240
yuro football has a shitload of titles and it's much easier for a star to switch teams. literally every good player ever won a trophy or two
>>
>>65644247
what? totti never switched teams

besides. totti won his league in the early 2000s.

marino never won the league.
>>
one guy is most remembered internationally for spitting on an opponent player, and the other one for winning trophies
>>
>>65644286
>what? totti never switched teams
I'm talking overall, not specifically about Totti

>besides. totti won his league in the early 2000s.
desu CL would be the equivalent of the Super Bowl
>>
>>65644286
Think of domestic leagues and cups as division / conference championships and the Superbowl as winning the CL.

Superbowl even started that way, winners of two leagues competing for the ultimate championship.
>>
reminder that Alessandro Del Piero was outshining Zidane on that late 90s Juve team and the team collapsed when he went down with an injury
>>
>>65644326
this
>>
>>65644325
>>65644303

there are far fewer teams competing in the NFL than in the CL. so the comparison isn't really accurate although yes originally the superbowl was the best two teams from the afc and nfc.
>>
>>65644353
there are 32 teams competing in the proper CL, exactly as many as there are for the Super Bowl
>>
>>65644353
There's like what, 32 teams in the CL group stage?
>>
>>65644353
You mean AFL and NFL. Superbowl is older than the merger by several years.
>>
>>65643362
Lol don't support Leeds, you cuck?
>>
File: padoin.jpg (96 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
padoin.jpg
96 KB, 1024x768
threadly reminder that this man has won four times the titles of the eternal loyal gabbedano :DDDD
>>
>>65644444

CHECK'D
>>
>>65644444
>4 times the titles
>4 quints get
totti on suicide watch
>>
>>65644444
I check'd this 4 times if you catch that
>>
>>65644444
is this supposed to be a diss?

I always like how Padoin went about his job doing whatever the manager asked of him even with limited playing time

>Simone Padoin is the player I worry about the most ahead of the final. I've had many sleepless nights over the last few weeks
>Messi
>>
File: 1450430563566.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1450430563566.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>65644444
>>
>>65644229
xD
>>
>>65644396
don't confuse that fucktard with me fucker
I actually still own an italy totti shirt from 2006
>>
Roberto Baggio
/thread
>>
>>65644913
>debate between 2 players
>haha, I know, I'll come in and say that an obviously better 3rd player is better than both of them
>and then I'll /thread my own post
>how witty
>>
>>65643384
you went too far, even for aussie standards.
>>
>>65644021
>yfw someone spent 30+ minutes writing this rigmarole just to defend his teenage idol

fatti dare una parte degli affitti almeno, giallozozzo
>>
It's not a coincidence that Zoff, Trapattoni and even Lippi all preferred Totti to Del Piero with the national team (and in Lippi's case, he preferred a Totti coming off a massive injury).
>>
https://youtu.be/IpMqFM2Z4X8
>>
>>65639609
Del Piero is the only correct answer
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.