[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NFL Rigged?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19
File: rigged games.jpg (213 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
rigged games.jpg
213 KB, 1500x1500
NFL Bans Video Showing Rigged Championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BU7tt3yR24

7,455 likes, 7,279 dislikes
>>
There's a lot of money in sports, of course the NFL had a hand in certain outcomes, same reason they destroy evidence to favor cheaters
It's all about the $$$$$
>>
File: propjoe.jpg (27 KB, 450x274) Image search: [Google]
propjoe.jpg
27 KB, 450x274
>my team got screwed by a bad call
>it's a giant league-wide fraud orchestrated against my team instead of human error

Will this meme ever die?
>>
>>64564685
the NFL is influenced heavily by the refs, but that video is a shitty attempt to show it

the second you start saying OOOH OBVIOUS HOLDING CALL THAT DIDNT GET CALLED you need to just gtfo, that happens to every team every game
>>
>>64564685
Only casuals think the NFL is rigged
>>
Is this satire
>>
File: cowboys-party-bus.jpg (106 KB, 700x417) Image search: [Google]
cowboys-party-bus.jpg
106 KB, 700x417
>>64564882
>>my team got screwed by a bad call

It’s not a case of “my team” getting screwed, (though my team regularly gets screwed…) the issue is that a handful of teams with large _national tv audiences_ repeatedly getting favorable calls, to insure that they have a better record at the end of the season and increase their chances at making it to the playoffs and the Superbowl, where the NFL and the networks can maximize ad revenue.

Football is supposed to a sport, not a scripted stage play…

The top 50 highest rated tv shows between Sept. 21st-Dec. 27th;

#1 NBC NFL Sunday Night Football (7.8 rating)
#3 CBS NFL Thursday (6.0)
#5 NBC NFL Sunday Night Pre-Kick (5.5)
#7 Football Night in America 3 (4.1)
#36 CBS NFL Thursday Kickoff (2.3)
>>
Short answer? Yes
>>
File: jim-harbaugh-freaks-out.gif (4 MB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
jim-harbaugh-freaks-out.gif
4 MB, 500x276
>>64564954

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_corruption_case

In 2015, U.S. federal prosecutors disclosed cases of corruption by officials and associates connected with FIFA, the governing body of association football, futsal and beach soccer.
Near the end of May 2015, fourteen people were indicted in connection with an investigation by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation Division (IRS-CI) into wire fraud, racketeering, and money laundering. The United States Attorney General simultaneously announced the unsealing of the indictments and the prior guilty pleas by four football executives and two corporations.

What makes you thing American football is any more honest?
>>
File: nypost+(2).jpg (106 KB, 600x671) Image search: [Google]
nypost+(2).jpg
106 KB, 600x671
>>
>>64565456
It doesn't matter what teams are in the owl, the ratings and ad revenues will still be fucking huge
>>
>>64565782
This one was so blatant that the NFL was forced to screw over Dallas a week later to keep the charade going.
>>
>>64564685
of course it's rigged.
>>
>>64565633
>wire fraud, racketeering, and money laundering

Funny, I don't see "match fixing" in there anywhere.
>>
File: superbowl.jpg (42 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
superbowl.jpg
42 KB, 526x526
>>64565791
> It doesn't matter what teams are in the owl, the ratings and ad revenues will still be fucking huge

Nonsense, some teams like the Patriots, Packers and Seahawks generate large national tv audiences, both during the season and especially in the post-season, while most of the league’s teams aren’t much more then local market favorites.

A Lions vs. Browns Superbowl for example, isn’t going to generate the same kinda ad revenue.
>>
I feel like the league is rigged but this video just screams of bootyblasted $(ers fan being blasted into orbit.

Also youtube documentaries suck.
>>
File: NFL referee Cowboys party bus.jpg (182 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
NFL referee Cowboys party bus.jpg
182 KB, 640x360
>>64566735
>>wire fraud, racketeering, and money laundering
>Funny, I don't see "match fixing" in there anywhere.

Yes, I'm sure that given the above, matching fixing could never happen...
>>
Every sport is rigged to a degree.
>>
>>64565456
wait...

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

SAN FRAN/OAK /SAN JOSE - #6

SEATTLE/TACOMA - #14

how the fuck does seattle advancing help ratings???
>>
>>64566841
Actually the TV deals are negotiated years in advance so the only real beneficiary of good Super Bowl match ups is the network broadcasting it.

Also teams like the Seahawks and Patriots were once local market favorites just like the Browns and Lions, success automatically brings a national spotlight to you.
>>
>>64564757
>>>/x/
>>
File: image.png (39 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
image.png
39 KB, 321x322
>>64569618
More like /pol/
it's something that could be true conceivably but likely to a very minor degree.
/x/ would have it be planned out by a secret group of eIites in tandem with the owners who are all working with the subterranean reptilian overlords to corrupt society into a weakened state in preparation for their imminent invasion.
>>
>>64567539
> how the fuck does seattle advancing help ratings???

We’re talking about NATIONAL tv ratings.

The Seahawks bring in viewers from all over the U.S. while nobody really gives a shit about the 49ers except San Francisco.

Seattle advancing to the playoff results in higher ratings and higher ratings result in more money, thus the NFL rigs games to improve the odds of a nationally popular team like the Seahawks making it to the post-season.

Meanwhile, teams like the Lions, Browns and such end up playing only to act as stepping stones for nationally popular teams to advance to the post-season and if it looks like they might derail that plan by winning; “pass interference!”

>>64568807
> Actually the TV deals are negotiated years in advance so the only real beneficiary of good Super Bowl match ups is the network broadcasting it.

The networks pays the NFL fuck loads of money to broadcast the game and the higher ratings the game get, (as well as the playoff and regular season games) the more the NFL can hit-up the networks.

And then there are all kinda other business buying into the NFL market, each of whom has to grease the appropriate palms to feed at the trough.

>>64569618
> NFL referees partying it up and getting their dicks sucked by titty dancers on the Cowboys Party Bus
> Low and behold! Multiple holding and interference calls against the Cowboys somehow aren’t noticed and they win the game.

Move along now. Nothing to see here, boys!…
>>
>>64569829
>it's something that could be true conceivably but likely to a very minor degree.

"Very minor degree"? The NFL is a bazillion dollar industry, they're not going to leave that up to skill and chance.

They want to "stage manage" the season so that nationally popular teams which fit the "narrative" advance to the post-season.
>>
NFL doesn't need to be rigged because the salary cap accomplishes more interesting games than rigging ever could.
>>
>>64569863
Minor in the sense that Players can't know too much about it, and referees can't always change the outcome of a game.
Sadly the fact that players like Brady and Rodgers get the benefit of the doubt when less "elite" QBs never do is the only thing that the layman will ever notice, and the media doesn't care.
>>
>>64569863

Yeah they did a great job getting the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, and Steelers in the playoffs.
>>
>>64568807
This

Until I hear a reasonable argument detailing why the league would risk everything for a plot that does so little to increase revenue, I'll continue to believe that football isn't fixed.
>>
still no where near as bad as the nba.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=noakqqng3OQ
>>
The absolutely bottom line is that the refs can throw flags and blow whistles to control the game, and they do so, now more than ever before. It allows more commercials, they can't be challenged or reviewed, and they absolutely can an do decide games. IMO, the only flag, aside from formation, falsestart/offside, and BLATANT Pass interference, is pussy to throw.
>>
File: 1449208879121.gif (3 MB, 513x300) Image search: [Google]
1449208879121.gif
3 MB, 513x300
>>64569964

I’m not pretending to have written some kinda doctoral thesis on corruption in the NFL, I’m just an Average Joe football fan, but every week we have long involved threads for each game and time and time again, we see the “elite” teams have calls blatantly go their way and that just can’t be shrugged off with; “well, your team should’a played better!”, or “maybe the ref didn’t see it?”, or “oops, the refs completely fucked up and cost you the game but it won’t happen again, we promise!”…

When the Packers beat the Lions on that last second Hail Mary pass, everybody was talking about the facemask call against the Lions just before it, (which I thought was valid, considering how quickly it happened and how Rogers played it up) but nobody seems to remember that on the play before that, Rogers would have been sacked for a huge loss if two Lions defenders weren't being simultaneously held, which the refs somehow didn't see.
>>
>>64564685

Why would the NFL want the Seahawks in the superbowl over the 49ers?
>>
>>64570251 do you know how many seahawk players ive seen in commercials? Guess how many 48ers
>>
My theory is that the NFL doesn't rig the outcomes but they make calls to keep the games as close as possible.
>>
If your sport is so shit it needs 30 refs and a rule book 500 pages long you ought to put down the Doritos grab bag, turn off the "commercials" and take a long hard look at your life
>>
>>64565633
It's not international, for one thing.
>>
>>64570281
the 9ers have a much larger national fanbase i'm pretty sure. And I guess its 1 guy in the 9ers vs. 2-3 in the seahawks?

either way the difference is not enough to risk pulling the curtain back. there's no logic to that risk/reward decision.
>>
>>64564685
>refball exists
No shit, Sherlock. This video didn't uncover anything new.
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (38 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
38 KB, 560x560
>>64564685

It scares me the league mite try to knock the pats out of the playoffs with rigged calls.

But the truth is there's nothing anyone could do about it outside of congressional investigation.
>>
Yes and no.

Consider this

1. Penalties aren't reviewable for some reason. Pretty much any other play outside of the 2 minute mark are.
2. The nfl hands out compensatory picks without revealing the "secret formula". We have an idea but not for sure.
3. Uneven fines and suspensions for infractions. Greg hardy vs Tom Brady. I mean I hate but respect Brady but that's a little weird.

Throw in some quirky scheduling, or how al Davis's raiders did while he was alive dealing with penalties.

It's kind of fixed but not totally. If a guy was to lay out Tom Brady the same way he'd hit Derek Carr or Blake bortles he'd get a flag kind of thing. Jordan used to get the fouls, and the pats get a lot of the calls. Well up till last year.

Certain teams are going to make the playoffs for a reason and certain players are going to get the call
>>
the NFL obviously has a hand in the outcome of games, you're delusional if you really think otherwise
>>
>>64564685
The cowboys suck OP, deal with it.
Blame your mentally retarded coach and dumbass owner.
>>
File: holy shit what did i just read.jpg (51 KB, 625x346) Image search: [Google]
holy shit what did i just read.jpg
51 KB, 625x346
>>64571171
>>
>>64571841
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2406361-nfl-compensatory-picks-2015-rules-formula-explanation-and-latest-projections

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboysheadlines/2015/07/10/cowboys-de-greg-hardy-s-suspension-reduced-to-4-games-but-dispute-might-not-be-over

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/nfl-penalties-reviewable

For the rest of it just google it.

Yes the nfl is slightly fixed. Don't be stupid
>>
Of course it's rigged. Legally the NFL is an entertainment league like the WWE, and not a sports league like the NHL or MLB.

It's no dfferent than pro wrestling.
>>
Anyone who didn't already realize that before watching the video is an idiot. Its gotten way more out of control over the last 2-3 years where the NFL is trying to promote black quarterbacks for marketing purposes. Seriously, watch any game with Cam, Jameis, Teddy and Wilson and you'll see those teams helped out by refs faaar more often than anyone else. Go to a game and you can see a LOT more dubious calls than you could ever see on tv.
>>
>>64572217
>>
Niners lost because they literally thought Colon Crappernick was better than Alex Smith
>>
>>64565782
Isn't #87 facemasking #59? plus that's not a PI, stay mad Detoilet
>>
If the NFL were rigged, they would have made the 49ers won the SB back to back.
>>
>>64572139
That's factually wrong

>>64570177
Confirmation bias and anecdotal evidence
>>
>>64571171
>1. Penalties aren't reviewable for some reason. Pretty much any other play outside of the 2 minute mark are.
Well for one, penalties are not a play. Also this would lead to more focus on the refs instead of the game. I agree big calls like PI and facemask should be reviewable but it's not surprising the NFL wants to keep the focus on the players and not the refs decisions.

>2. The nfl hands out compensatory picks without revealing the "secret formula". We have an idea but not for sure.
Even if we don't know the exact formula, it's pretty obvious how you receive one, it's unlikely the compensatory 5th or 6th round pick will make a difference in your franchise anyways.

>3. Uneven fines and suspensions for infractions. Greg hardy vs Tom Brady. I mean I hate but respect Brady but that's a little weird.
This is entirely due to the NFLPA negotiating a terrible CBA and allowing Goodell to have vague powers like suspensions for "conduct detrimental to the league."

What you're calling fixing is just a combination of human error and bad rules, not an overt attempt to rig games in the NFL's favor.
>>
>>64571171
>3. Uneven fines and suspensions for infractions. Greg hardy vs Tom Brady. I mean I hate but respect Brady but that's a little weird.

There are HUNDREDS of ways to break the rules being an NFL player, whether it's deflated footballs, taping signals, operating bounties etc. but also outside of football you can always go get a DUI, start a dogfighting ring, beat your girlfriend up, or pretty much any other activity we aren't allowed to take up anyway. However, when you are talking about trying to punish millionaires you have very limited options, and most of the time it boils down to fines and suspensions. So yes, sometimes two very different things will get similar punishments. Certain crimes are worse than others but it's not like you can just rank all the possible bad things you can do and have a set of rules to follow each time someone screws up.
>>
>>64566841
>A Lions vs. Browns Superbowl for example, isn’t going to generate the same kinda ad revenue.

In order for these teams to make the superbowl, they'd likely have some stars to get there.

At one point New England was "literally who" team but now they have a GOAT QB who everyone knows. Seattle was the same. The Rams and Bucs are nobodies now but they were two very popular teams in the early 2000s.
>>
>>64564685
I wish this video had the x files theme song playing on it
>>
anyone have a mirror I'd like to see it
>>
>>64566841
>A Lions vs. Browns Superbowl for example, isn’t going to generate the same kinda ad revenue.
>the NFL's Chicago Cubs vs Johnny Football isn't going to generate a lot of revenue

The NFL puts in so much work to make every market relevant that it wouldn't make sense for them to rig games in favor of certain teams. Probably 45% of people only watch for the commercials in the Super Bowl anyway. Super Bowl Sunday is literally an unofficial holiday, there is nothing to gain by rigging it for a group that probably amounts to 4% of their consumer base
>>
>>64570952
>It's not international, for one thing.

Indeed, American football is more tightly controlled because there are fewer franchises and fewer palms to grease.
>>
File: Green Bay Luchadores.jpg (49 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Green Bay Luchadores.jpg
49 KB, 500x375
>>64572573
> > Of course it's rigged. Legally the NFL is an entertainment league like the WWE
> That's factually wrong
>>
Why is no one talking about the actual video? The Seahawks never should have gone to the SB against the Broncos
>>
File: berry sanders.gif (976 KB, 358x180) Image search: [Google]
berry sanders.gif
976 KB, 358x180
>>64579390
>In order for these teams to make the superbowl, they'd likely have some stars to get there.

The Lions had Barry Sanders (in addition to Spielman, Herman Moore, Jerry Ball, etc) for 10 years and only managed to win one playoff game.

You can't shrug that off as; "I guess your team should'a played better!"
>>
>>64583534
Oh shut up, they were consistently the best team in the league that year. They deserved that superbowl.
>>
>>64569830
What sort of fantasy world do you live in? Outside of the past 2 years, the Seahawks couldn't pay for national exposure. Nobody gives a shit about the 49ers right now because they are terrible. As soon as the hawks are mediocre again, they won't draw any sort of attention either.
>>
>>64570177
And yet you choose to ignore the bitching by fans of the "elite" teams whenever a bad call goes against them. Interesting...
>>
>>64583674
>You can't shrug that off as; "I guess your team should'a played better!"

That's exactly what going 10 years and winning one playoff game is.
>>
>>64583442
Under the law the NFL is a sports league, which is why you had congressional investigations into Spygate but none into why Triple H was hit with a folding chair by the ref
>>
>>64583674
Actually you can, the Lions were pretty shit in the 90s, they had some good players but you need a complete roster to consistently win playoff games
>>
>>64570281
Three. You've seen three. Richard Sherman, Russel Wilson, and Marshawn Lynch.

The naners have two. Kap and Patrick Willis.

People pay successful players. A team gets good, the faces of those teams get add time. It's not the other way around.
>>
File: barry.gif (986 KB, 420x243) Image search: [Google]
barry.gif
986 KB, 420x243
>>64584308
>>64584336
> the Lions were pretty shit in the 90s

Son, I was there. The Lions had multiple players in the Pro Bowl every year, but if you can’t smell the stench of corruption when the greatest running back in football history only makes it to one playoff game in a decade long career, I dunno what to tell you guys.
>>
>>64584861
Pure delusion, the Lions were trash, having a couple players get to the pro bowl does not mean you have a good team. Barry Sanders knew this, which is why he quit on the team.
>>
>>64570251
49ers already have a national fanbase who spend money on 49ers (read: NFL) memorabilia

Seahawks do too, now, Just a little bit of push to get them there.
>>
File: 1382906232307.jpg (246 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1382906232307.jpg
246 KB, 1024x1024
>>64564685
>Believing the NFL isn't rigged as fuck
>>
>>64585141
They have no incentive to rig it, letting the athletes simply play the sport is just as profitable.
>>
>>64584861
>greatest runningback
>Barry Sanders

Literally definition of a meme running back. He couldn't block a peanut if it was tossed underhand at him.
>>
File: 1350244694310.jpg (70 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1350244694310.jpg
70 KB, 480x480
>>64585302
>>
>>64579390
>At one point New England was "literally who" team but now they have a GOAT QB who everyone knows.
the back up qb coming in to lead his team?
CINDERELLA STORY
>>
>>64585346
Nice counter-argument, retard
>>
>>64586076
It's easy to write narratives no matter the circumstance, you don't need to rig games to do it. If the Rams had won it would have been the Kurt Warner bagging groceries Cinderella story, or a dozen other personal stories.
>>
File: 1366619347998.png (75 KB, 983x1013) Image search: [Google]
1366619347998.png
75 KB, 983x1013
>>64586171
>>
People who think the NFL is rigged most likely had a bad loss in a critical game, and instead of blaming bad luck or their team not playing well, they choose to blame an intangible higher power keeping them down.

It's the same flawed logic feminists use with the patriarchy, it's just a copping mechanism and a way to deflect blame.
>>
>>64564685
>Fannyflustered $(ers fan mad his meme coach and meme QB lost
I'll pass
>>
>>64565633
>wikipedia
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.