[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it me or has the NFL gone completely downhill? Tried watching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6
File: punt.jpg (488 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
punt.jpg
488 KB, 1600x1200
Is it me or has the NFL gone completely downhill?

Tried watching the monday night game and turned it off because i really completely dont care anymore.Has this happened to anyone else?
>>
>>64255472
do you have a favorite nfl team?
>>
you're burned out on it

it's you
>>
>>64255472
I'm burnt on it too, but it's not the product (not the best year though)
>>
>>64255472
you've probably been watching too much. there are a lot of shit teams right now. take a break and come back for the playoffs.
>>
OP I mean i am burned out on it. Any favorite team is pic related. Even with them being right in the middle of the wildcard hunt im still not interested. I personally just cant stand to watch a game anymore, its really unwatchable. That is unless pittsburgh is playing.
>>
>>64255532
i meant OP here
>>
>>64255472

Every single monday.
>>
Some games are just not that interesting. Even if they're kinda close

I still find most of em interesting.
>>
Seems pretty dead right now, dont be surprised if i post the same question tomorrow
>>
because every Monday, Thursday and prime time game has been absolutely shit this season.

but nobody gives a shit because it's the NFL and they want to see football so they gladly let the league shovel shit into their mouths.
>>
>>64256275
this holy shit this

Only the New England Denver game really cleared the bar this year. It's not the NFL's fault either. The matchups have just turned out to be fairly unexciting.
>>
Ive changed over to college ball m8.

Too many ads in the NFL
>>
Too many extremely significant injuries, too much shit refereeing, and general lack of parity this year makes it one of the most shit years the NFL has ever produced

even the teams that are far away the best in their conferences are decimated by injuries. the panthers are pretty healthy but they are playing without kelvin benjamin
>>
>>64257567
>the panthers are pretty healthy but they are playing without kelvin benjamin

I've never heard of him

He's literally just another black guy in the league who does really athletic things every once in awhile

This is how boring the NFL is
>>
>>64257505
>Jags-Titans in a primetime slot
Did the NFL really think these teams were going to have a good game?
>>
i only watch The Patriots anymore Goodell and fantasy football have ruined the league
>>
>>64255472
No.

The NFL has never been better. Sorry you're just an edgy contrarian retard, for no good reason, like 90% of /sp/. Kill yourself.
>>
>>64257505
New England and the Giants was fucking good too.
>>
>>64257685
Pretty much this tbqh
>>
Too many commercials, too many penalties, reviewing obvious play calls to show more commercials, etc. I rarely watch the NFL now except for the playoffs. At least in the playoffs they limit the ridiculous Pass Interference and defensive holding calls.
>>
>>64257730
Nicely blogged.

Nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>64257745
Roger Goodell pls go
>>
>>64257745
Except OP apparently considering he made a thread about this.
>>
>>64255472
With all the rules that favor the passing game and neuter the defenses i rarely watch NFL games anymore,

I'm old enough to remember when it was bump and run all the way downfield and you could light up receivers going across the middle. QBs were fair game and could be hit in all kinds of ways without flags.

The NFL gave so much to offense for the sake of "entertainment" that it barely is worth watching much IMO.
>>
>>64257771
The NFL has never been more popular; yet because some lardass spergy autist on a cambodian online tantric sculpturing emporium decided he's not going to watch it anymore, I'm supposed to care?

That's not how this works, anon.
>>
File: cam2.jpg (27 KB, 400x310) Image search: [Google]
cam2.jpg
27 KB, 400x310
>Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels narrate a reviewed call

>rewatch the replay about 15 times while we dissect the rules of the game

>cut to commercial while the refs try to figure it out

>come back from commercial
>Al Michaels reads an NBC promo
>there is an injury on the field

>cut to commercial
>>
>>64257802
Too much of this.
>>
I'm in the same boat. I literally do not give a single shit. The only thing I pay attention to is Fantasy because I'm 3 games removed from $500. I just don't have the patience to sit through 3 hours of bullshit any more. If my team makes the playoffs I'll suffer through it but if not, fuck it. I'll watch the superbowl but only cos i'll be with 100+ of my friends.
>>
This season has been full of shit games honestly. I've only been watching the Cardinals bc they are my team, but other than that I am kinda with you OP. I'm trying to think of a game this season I watched that I found to be genuinely exciting, and apart from the Denver-NE Sunday night game, they've all been pretty underwhelming.

Just a bad NFL regular season, hopefully the playoffs will make up for it.
>>
if only every game was panthers saints
>>
You people need to stop watching games that don't involve your favorite team.

I only watch games the Packers play in during the regular season, and then the playoffs.

Does anyone actually sit on their ass all Sunday and watch the noon, afternoon and evening game.

Stop doing this.
>>
The NFL is like maybe a step up from wrestling and not the competitive kind.
>>
Choose your games nicely.
As a pats bandwagonner I had a good time 12 out of 13 game, only the last bills game was a little bit boring.
I didn't enjoy much most of the other games I watched though.
>>
Not burned out but I feel ya OP.
1. Too many commercial stoppages. So many games there have been scenarios like: third and one, timeout. Team goes for it on 4th down, doesn't get it, try review the spot, timeout. Team punts, timeout. Penalty, rekick, someone gets injured, timeout. End of quarter, timeout. Basically 3 plays in 10 minutes.
2. It seems like every deep ball is going to be called DPI, and every time a defender makes a move to break up a pass the receiver immediately turns to the refs and complains there wasn't a flag.
3. These injuries have gotten out of hand. I don't know if it's the players association to blame for getting them to practice less or what but if the quarterbacks can't practice how to take a hit how can they hope to avoid getting injured in a game.
>>
>>64255497
This

The injuries have really hampered this season. Most of the games are shitty. Only reason I still care is because of the fantasy football playoffs
>>
>>64255472
Same. I only watch my team play now. Don't give a shit about the other games any more.
>>
I'm just worn out by commercials and shitty ref calls.

Not to mention I haven't had a Sunday to just sit and watch football at any time this year
>>
>>64259055
>These injuries have gotten out of hand. I don't know if it's the players association to blame for getting them to practice less or what but if the quarterbacks can't practice how to take a hit how can they hope to avoid getting injured in a game.

Guys generally are just too big and fast and muscular. Football players should get smaller. It'll never happen but they really should have more mortal physiques. Clearly there is rampant PED use in the NFL and that's partly to blame. But guys could honestly just tone down the strength conditioning a bit.

Guys back in the day worked out like normal people and ate cheeseburgers and shit.
>>
Are you forgetting we got to witness one of the greatest Hail Marys of all time?
>>
My Baltimore Ravens are a pack of losers but at least all of the games have been close. Had more fun watching the CVS get looted than watching a game.
>>
>>64259117
It's stricter drug testing that has lead to these injuries. The guys cycle PEDs and get huge off them, then when the season starts they can't use them to recover because of drug testing.

Steroids and other performance enhancers drastically improve recovery time, and if they're not allowed to use them to recover during a season these guys will be injured just like a normal human being would.
>>
>>64255472
>Is it me
Yes
>>
>>64255472
This year has been worse than usual, mostly because of injuries. I think over half the teams in the league have had to use a backup QB in at least one game this year
>>
>>64255472
it's been going downhill ever since they decided to ban kick offs because someone might get hurt, and the all castrate the defense deal for the same reason and to get more revenue because casuals love offense.
too bad there's no real competitor, the NFL has a monopoly over good football, i'd've left this semen slurping league a long time ago
>>
>>64259198
College football is better
>>
It just feels so amateur as I get older. Should have known it was gonna be a shit year when the opening ceremony had an orchestra followed by t payne.

Go to college ball instead. A lot more fun, less refball, controversy held to ranking and yelling at other anons about how crappy living in their state is.
>>
>>64257796
couldn't have said it better. the fullback position is pretty much history at this point, the running game is being relegated to running the clock at the end of game, qbs pass for 40-50 times a game for 400+ yards 3,4,5 passing TDs.
it's like live action madden, who wants to watch that?
>>
I'm getting tired of the NFL. You can't get through 1 game without the refs missing or inventing a call that directly causes one of the teams to win. Then the next day the refs say "whoops"
>>
File: close..jpg (37 KB, 552x290) Image search: [Google]
close..jpg
37 KB, 552x290
>>64259156
>ravens
>all games have been close

wat?
>>
>>64259343
Fuck you, Mount Rainier. All the other games have been
within 8 points.
>>
>>64259238
>nfl is too amateurish, you should watch college football instead.
>>
>>64259487
haha I saw that too.

Honestly i think it's kind of funny. I watched a college football team make a second forward pass the other day.

Sure college ball is fun to watch but NFL is designed for entertainment.
>>
>>64259487

>nfl is serious bizness

its like a bunch of mafia guineas running the league.
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 1200x1200
>>64258983
>>
>>64255472
don't you guys have college football to watch if the NFL is bad?
>>
>>64257796
This along with the insane number of advertisements makes current NFL unwatchable. I watch my home team games with my lads but i don't follow anything else in this shit league other than /sp/ banter.
>>
>>64259334
>it's like live action madden, who wants to watch that?

NCAA fans?
>>
>>64257802
>touchdown
Coca-cola commercial
>extra point
Chevy truck commercial
>kickoff
erectile enhancement commercial
>injury on the field
Ford F-150 commercial
>two minute warning
Toyota commercial with Jan
>run a play, timeout
Budweiser commercial

And when you come back from each of these commercials there are other mini commercials run by the announcers while they show an aerial view of the field. Fuck the NFL
>>
>>64257695
That wasn't a primetime game, tho
>>
>>64257685
Check out this edgy contrarian retard senpai
>>
>implying the NFL at one point was ever good
top fucking lel
>>
>>64259645

It's insanity. Do they honestly think it's not shitting on our face when they take a commercial break after coming back from a commercial break to show a kickoff for a touchback. Same with punts.
>>
>>64255472

Yes, the modern product is shit, 4 wide only throw the ball 5 yards, no defense or playing rough allowed, refs control the outcome with very flexible rules that can be interpreted however it best suits Vegas

It might as well be a Vince McMahon owned flag football league at this point
>>
cuck test
>>
question:
do you think the nfl will revert to its formal self after this new fad of bleeding heartism and do goodism has died?
>>
>>64259897
perhaps but probably not.

Extreme leftism usually leads to a breakdown of the family which usually leads to the failing of nations.

It's ogre now senpai.
>>
There are 14 teams with either a 6-7 record or a 5-8 record. That's either too much parity, or just too much mediocrity.

Also, there is usually only one absolute shit division, but this year there are two--the NFC East and AFC South. Nobody wants to see a team from one of these divisions make the playoffs, but it will happen.
>>
the main thing that went downhill is the refs
>>
>>64259645
Underrated post
>>
>>64255472
dont say it out loud on the streets or they will get you.
>>
>>64259645
>he doesn't know what "mute" is
>he doesn't start watching games late so he can fast forward thru commercials

Full fucking pleb. That said, MNF is pretty unwatchable at this point. Can you imagine actually going to a MNF game? Fucking five hours just freezing your ass off.
>>
>>64255472
>asks if something has gone downhill
>admits he's the one who doesn't care anymore
Post this on facebook OP, not here, we don't give a shit about your blog. But yeah, it has.
>>
>>64259649
point is that it was on nationwide, so it's part of that TNF/MNF/primetime group
>>
I'm still watching it, but the league, the teams, the TV productions, and the culture is starting to feel bloated. Really took a shine to lower-level college ball and the CFL this year, felt like a breath of the fresh air.
>>
>all these fans asshurt over the commercials
just buy Sunday Ticket next year and shut up

inb4 shekels/good goy memes
>>
>>64257505
Every giantss primetime game was decided in the final two minutes and most of them ended with a come from behind win, what do you call exciting?
>>
File: image.png (116 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
image.png
116 KB, 500x365
>>64260090
>>
>>64260083
Just to add onto this and what someone else said, the telecasts, especially the SNF/MNF/TNF ones, are turning into an assault on the senses. Just show the game, stop with the bullshit graphics and camera angles and screaming music, and integrated ads.
>>
>>64259055
A big part of this is that the refereeing in general has been particularly bad. A step up from the strike year, maybe.

>>64259134
that I will remember forever, it was amazing even with refball accusations surrounding the plays before.

>>64259218
college football is for southern/flyover losers who want to watch the next generation of meme QBs who will fail in the NFL
>>
ITT: people too stupid to find good Sunday Ticket streams and project them on their TV
>>
>>64255472
Yeah..

I played NHL16 on Sunday rather than watch football. Kind of burned out desu
>>
the playoffs are going to be great but theres only like three teams that have a shot at winning it so its kind of interesting to see if they'll lose each week but outside of that boring.
>>
>>64260174
Implying the Colts won't pull the shocker of the century and win it behind a healthy Andragon Luck..

Or the Vikings
>>
I'm a Bears fan and football is now just boring. I used to like it when I didn't know what would happen but now I pretty much call everything and it always happens.

>3rd and long
>screen pass for like 3-4 yards then punt

>1st and 10
>he's gonna hand it off to forte for no gain or 1-2 yards

Just last week I called the bears not scoring and gould miss too.

Footbl is just not fun anymore when I already know what's going to happen. It's so boring watching the same mistakes and losses week after week and I truly question myself why I keep doing it week after week.

The only surprise/fun I got this season was when Rodgers had 4 incompletions in a row on our shit defense to seal the game.

Football: yawn
>>
>>64260216

>shit defense

I'm a burrs fan and the defense has been the only bright spot, especially the secondary. I know they shit the bed against the 49ers in over time, and were getting creamed earlier in the year, but they have surprised me since then.
>>
>>64260186
>7-9 team making it to the SB, let alone winning it
lel
>>
>>64255472
This is the problem with games being 3 hours long and half of it being adverts. I can imagine you'd get bored pretty easily of that
>>
>>64260256
Well maybe that was taken the wrong way. Usually Rodgers shits all over our D doing whatever be pleases so for him to miss 4 passes in a row 8 yards from the endzone was truly the surprise of the year
>>
>>64259645
Over here it's worse, every touchdown they show a screen with fucking tyson chicken nuggets instead of the celebration.
>>
>>64260267
people who actively watch the Super Bowl for the ads sicken me. the whole hype surrounding that BS just makes the commercialball moniker even more appropriate
>>
>>64260332
our world truly is becoming the one from Idiocracy.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.