[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do NFL teams even attempt to kick the extra point after a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
Why do NFL teams even attempt to kick the extra point after a touchdown when the upside (Gain of 1 point) is smaller than the downside (Opponent's gain of 2 points)?
>>
Shut up
>>
do you even know what statistics are?
>>
>>64065283
Statistics is the study of the collection, analysis, interpretation, presentation, and organization of data.
>>
>>64065445
this is correct lads
>>
The extra point is a last vestige of how the game once was. It's literally why the game is called "football". So fuck off.
>>
>>64065487
No, it's called that because the ball is 1 foot long.
>>
>>64065273

Expected value.

.95*1-.005*2>0 so you are expected to score more points in the long run
>>
>>64065273
You can win a dollar if you play this little game:

Doll a dice, if you roll a "6" then roll again, and if that is a six roll again, and so on.

If you roll twelve "6"es in a row, you pay me $2.00. otherwise I pay you $1.00.

Are you seriously too dumb to play my little game?
>>
>>64066290
Your .005 seems high, but otherwise yeah.
>>
>>64065771
Its because the game is played on your feet and not on horseback
>>
>>64066334

How was the first day of stats class, faggot?
>>
>>64066365
good :^*
>>
>>64065273
Because 95% of the time you get 1
Then it used to be around 45 for 2.

Although it's changing. When you go fit 1 everyone knows you are going for 1 so teams don't watch for the 2 point so extra points will be blocked more plus the added distance so it will be around 92-93 percent
Meh

They should have moved it back 20 yards
>>
>>64066365
pretty good desu. we learned how to project standard deviations. we took a case study on street hookers and found your mother was the cheapest and shittiest one.
>>
>>64066393
lol his mum is really eww disgusting
>>
>>64065487
The name football has nothing to do with kicking it. Same goes for soccer.
>>
>>64066388
>Then it used to be around 45 for 2.

I think he was talking about the Saints running back the blocked PAT for 2 points in yesterday's game. So you are trying to score one while risking the opponent scoring 2. The risk there is significantly below 45%, of course.
>>
NFL coaches are too stuck in the old ways

All we need is one hero to become a coach and never punt or kick a field goal and the game will change when everyone sees how advantageous it is.
>>
If they run a fake kick do they line up on the 2 yard line or the 15 yard line?
>>
>>64065273
1 pt * P(1 pt) >>> -2pt * P(-2pt)
>>
>>64066530

Tomlin's been embracing 2 pointers more
>>
>>64066751

2 pt * P(2 pt) >> 1 pt * P(1 pt)
>>
>>64066530
I want a coach who turns over 4th down decisions to the NYT 4th down bot.
>>
>>64066735
This is the dumbest question I've ever experienced
>>
Why don't coaches call two plays on 3rd and 6, one for third down and one for a hurry-up 4th and short?
>>
>>64066796
Because big dumb football players can't handle that amount of information
>>
Because the statistic likelihood of the opponent blocking it AND taking it it back are so minute.

Personally I think teams should try more 2-pt conversions anyway, as it gives your offensives more snaps in the redzone, which can be a tough nut to crack. Although not gaining that extra point could be the difference in the final score, too.
>>
>>64066775
I am ready for this
>>
>>64065273
Because it's so rare, it took 13 weeks of play for someone to successfully do it.

The Raiders did it last week, but they got refballed out of it.
>>
>>64066775
The NYT 4th down bot recommendss some dumb fucking decisions
>>
>>64065273

it is a known fact that if you went for 2 every time, you should come out to the same value as if you had just kicked an extra point every time, statistically. add in the XP being moved back, and there is no bigger sign that you're a casual babby coach in this league than going for 1 every time
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.